Review Moderator
Magallan Plz

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Interview #205 - @TheMariqua ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

MAL's Very Own Rebellious Little Bird

”It's not nice being a Mari, but it's better than being somebody else.”

Interview conducted by: @Skittles
Reviewed by: @PinkSector

Could you tell us more about yourself?

Sure! Imagine if I couldn’t. The interview would certainly end here. Now, to the next question...

Oh, wait. Did you want me to tell you more about myself? Sure, I guess, you should've asked that from the beginning though, just saying!!!

Okay, so I'm Mari, but you can call me Ion. One day, my positive energies will attract a cat and I'll evolve into a cation, but until then I'm stuck as both a special and ordinary student in my last year of highschool, in Italy. Oh, I used a weird oxymoron...? Well, my professors say that I'm a genius but that I'm too lazy to fully realize it myself... I'm also known for my very critical spirit which has landed me in a lot of weird and bad situations. I'm no static character, unfortunately - panta rhei, as they say. All I can say about me, personally, is that I always try to avoid being monotonous, not stay the same for too long, change up a bit, be a little bit original, I'm "living my esthetic life", as Kierkegaard would say. As for my interests... I'm a general nerd, mostly spend my time on videogames or consuming bread tube. I really like philosophy, enjoy going to art exhibitions, I read books at times (favourites are The Little Prince, Nausea and White Nights), but also manga and graphic novels. My music taste is bad and still not fully formed, I'm not an anime fan as much as I'm just a consumer of cinematography and animation. If I'm not at school, tutoring somebody, taking my dog out, or walking four kilometers to school/home, I'm usually on my pc reading random wikipedia articles, interacting with my girlfriend or cooking. I sometimes release games for the internet and have an arsenal of usernames around the internet. I've got many different names - hey, maybe we've known each other for a long time and you might not even know it.

How did you choose your username?

Nothing really fancy, when I was little I once saw this bird called Nettarina di Mariqua (Mariqua/Marico Sunbird in english) in a bird exposition and for some reason the name kinda got stuck in my mind. I really like how it sounds, at least in my mind - I know a lot of you don't really pronounce it like I want you guys to (the Q being pronounced as... you know, capital 'Q' - kyuu - Mari-kyuu-a).

Sorry to break your pun, mister joker, my name isn't related to Marijuana.

Could you give us a brief history of your time on MAL?

My time on MAL... Hmmm.... Not sure, my head is not really the best place to store memories. I'm honestly not sure what drew me to it, I just kept bumping into it, thought I'd just use it if it's the first thing I see. Right after joining I joined and started being active on Monia's, then moved to fg (Forum Games)... And that's really it. I've changed my username midway through, after disappearing for one year. I met some nice people on fg, some bad ones, some annoying ones, and they all had, unsurprisingly, an effect on my personal development. Sometimes when I remembered the old things I've done, the connections I've made, it makes me question if the bad ones were as impactful or more than the good ones. I've also posted on other places, but fg is kinda my home... Nah, that's not right. I'd say that my real home is the friends I've made along the way. Xp

Btw I'm slowing down because this week has been full of tests, tomorrow is the last one, luckley.

Any users you dislike/like?

Boy if this is one despicable question. I'm not the type to be so vindictive that I need to say who I dislike, yeek. Nor do I really know who to put in my liked users list and for what motive. Maybe, sometimes, just liking somebody because they're fun is right.

@chaet, @shinah, @memor, @saamarium - it's nice interacting with them nowadays. They are nice, they are all unique people, they cool and that's really it.

@Kooh, @xchyssa, @yawnchawn, @Hayley_N_Haydet, @TimeToRepent, @lorraxne - they are all people of the past. They were nice, but communication with them is now dead. Why? For the majority of them I don’t know.

How did you get into anime/manga?

As a child, anime was pretty popular on TV and you'd have to deliberately try to avoid it if you didn't want anything to do with it. Many people here grew up with 80's anime, Doreamon and Dragonball and I'm really no different. And just like other people here, we didn't even call them anime, they were just cartoons, the first time I heard the term "anime" was when somebody criticized the medium for being either overly sexual and overly stale at the same time... which kinda made me think that most anime wasn't worth it (didn't even know what anime was, I thought it was just those ecchi shows) and just later discovered that there is more diversity in the world of anime. First anime I saw after I stopped watching TV was The Wind Rises by Ghibli.

Could you recommend us three of your favorite anime/manga?

For animes:

• Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome
  • Kuuchuu Buranko
  • Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer

I find these anime to really stand out and not a lot of people have watched them. I think they really are special in the sense that they showcase a way to enjoy anime that's not really common in the industry. The way the narration is told through animation, the visual metaphors and the surreal landscapes or colorful cities really make these anime stand out to me. Beautiful Dreamer is definitely the most standard experience, and if you want to see more, just check out Belladonna of Sadness.

As for manga:

• Spirit Circle
  • Ran to Haiiro no Sekai
  • Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction

First manga has an amazing story and visual narration, the other two are good story wise and amazing art wise.

What are your hobbies outside of anime/manga and MAL?

Video games, I usually play whatever I feel like playing. I'm a filthy casual if you so wish to call me. I tend to dislike open world games with tons of walking and boring sidequests, really dislike the Bethesda kind of open world and would rather play more streamlined and contained single player experiences. That being said, one of my favourite games ever is Elona which is the only open world game I can actually have fun with. Most recent games I've played and really enjoyed are Dishonored: Death of the outsider, La-Mulana, Outer Wilds, and Pathologic 2. I sometimes take photos, cook, play chess, listen to music, do some editing for the sake of doing some editing, but gaming is my most significant hobby and making games. I also go to museums, really like travelling at my own pace and sometimes, like I said above, a good book to read is nice to have. Maybe I should mention that I have more books and graphic novels than manga.

How do you feel about how the site is run? Especially in regards to your fellow moderators and admins?

I've never given it much thought in all honesty. I feel like they aren't as active as members and they'd rather be active as moderators/admins. It's kinda weird, in all honesty, I don't really like the distance between most of the user base, especially fg user base, and the staff. They are just moderators and admins to me, the only one I've seen who is more active is @Ardanaz.

Have there been any MAL experiences which positively impacted you in any way?
from @Chaet

Yeah, many. How many? I'm not sure, it's kinda like reading books, knowing and interacting with people made me grow as a person, but I can't really point out any specific experience... well there's one but I'd rather not mention it.

Who is your favourite musician? And why?
from @Chaet

Nobody, I know too little about music and honestly, I feel like the way I enjoy music is very different from that of other people, I never really feel like I'm a fan of a certain artist as other people do.

(Even if troublesome at times) What do you like most about your pet?
from @Chaet

He's dumb, he's so dumb, but when he wants to play he can be quite funny.

What's your honest opinion about papaya?
from @Chaet

It's okay. Kinda tasteless but it's not really that bad. I've had worse.

What do you think of greek mythology?
from @Chaet

I feel like Egyptian mythology is funnier. Also too much rape. >o>

What's your MBTI (personality) type?
from @Chaet

ENFP: I don't know what it means, I know I've spammed this acronym quite a lot though.

What’s something that no one else knows about you?
from @Shinah

My naked body. Even I try not to know too much about it.

Is there an anime character you relate to? Similar to your personality? Or a character you admire?
from @Shinah

Mir/Jakuri/Jacqli from Ar Tonelico 2. I've used her for my sets quite a lot of times just because I feel like she represents me pretty well at times - outside of her, I think that I'm just too weird to related to any anime character.

What do you think of Romanians? What about sarmale and ţuică?
from @Shinah

Romanians are big boomers ngl, plus I find the language to sound needlessly lewd at times, especially the vulgar, eughhh. Sarmale... I don't really like sarmale, they’re okay, I just feel like I'm not really used to the cuisine to the point where I can fully enjoy it. Tuica, I'm not sure, I'm not a fan of spirits, I've not tasted many so I can't really tell.

What's your favourite bird species?
from @Memor

Alcedo atthis (The kingfisher, or Martin Pescatore if you are italian). It has cute colors and I like the singing as well, it sounds like a fake gun pewing at your face.

What types of birds do you find in Italy?
from @Memor

I'm not the type of person who can answer this: just know that there are a lot. Generally, in the area where I live, there are the fantastic Hooded Crow, Swift and Swallows, various Sparrows (Don't tell anybody this but I actually quite like them) Gazza Ladra. Owls (never seen any though) and a lot of seagulls... despite living quite far from the sea. Now and then I can hear them screaming while I'm on my computer.

Do you think your life would have gone differently if you'd been raised by birds?
from @Memor

Nope, being raised by wing-haters still made me sprout a set of rebellious wings.

Can you give any tips to beginners trying to become birds?
from @Memor

Analyse what's in front of you, start asking yourself questions socratically, then you'll start having the urge to chirp out against everything: a beak will spawn. Your own beak.

Out of all of the places you've visited so far, which one has made the deepest impression on you?
from @Hayley_N_Haydet

Good or bad impression? I guess I'll just name three places.

First one is Naples, when you are in Naples, it doesn't feel like you are in Italy, or modern Italy atleast. There's this feeling that you are thrown back in time, people barely speak Italian, let alone English, everyone is webbed into this culture of the streets, going by some very ancient ethics and morals. It's no wonder it's quite the meme of a place between me and my Italian friends.

Matera... this one is kinda like Naples, but worse. People from that place lived in the dark ages for too many centuries.

Honestly, the only place that I really liked is the Netherlands, I felt impressed by how the landscape kinda felt like that of a fairy tale; plus seeing how much diversity there was, it was kinda neat.

Which thinker has influenced you the most and in what ways?
from @Hayley_N_Haydet

Nobody, really. My ideas about life and worth and all of that were made by me and later I found myself agreeing with thinkers more than actually discovering something new... I have to say that Socratese and his skepticism made me rethink the way I debate though: there are a lot of times where people discuss the same thing, but they never give themselves a definition of said thing that they agree upon.

What are some issues that you think deserve more awareness (in your country and beyond)?
from @Hayley_N_Haydet

The condition of the poor people - this issue is sealed behind the "immigrant issue". School needs to not only be about preparing you to go to work. Also nazis aren't dead yet, and just because one thing was a certain way in the past, it doesn't mean that it has to be that way now.

If the world were to face a new dark age and you could preserve only five things from your civilization, what might they be?
from @Hayley_N_Haydet

• Internet
  • Art
  • Freedom of speech
  • Democracy
  • Taxes

What is the most beautiful thing you've ever seen? The ugliest?
from @Hayley_N_Haydet

Not that my memory reminds me of, sadly. I'd say that I've seen many beautiful things, but I'd only notice how great they are when time changes.. but hmmm, I can say for certain though that a movie called It's Such a Beautiful Day is the most beautiful thing I've seen... no joke. As for the ugliest... ugh, last summer was quite ugly for me. I'd say, the lower parts of the negative mind, those obstruct hopeless people, ahh, it makes me puke.

What is the best part of your average day? Week?
from @Hayley_N_Haydet

Day: Talking to my girlfriend.
Week: Talking to my friends.

Yeah, I'm quite the talkative guy.

How does it feel to be Mari? How do you become Mari? Does Mari like being mari?
from @Mimurona

It feels like being trapped in a caged bubble. Double cage, one is inevitable: death; the other can be circumnavigated: memory and mind.

One becomes a mari by growing a beak, arms and wings. It's not nice being a mari, but it's better than being somebody else.

Why is sarmale overrated?
from @Mimurona

Because it doesn't taste as good as people make it out to be. All sarmale taste the same, there's no chef expression in normal sarmale.

List your top five favorite classic games!
from @Mimurona

Not sure about this one, I don't know that many "classic" games… Oh well, here is my list anyway:

1. Chess
2. Briscola
3. Merda
4. Scopa
5. Checkers
6. Snakes and ladders

Unfortunately I've not played that much Go to really put it on the list.

What does Mari want to be in the future?
from @Mimurona

I want to be myself, I want to be a nice name: a name that people like to pronounce, as a way to invite other people to try out some of my baking experiments. Nothing much besides that, I just hope I don't get sold out to poverty.

How does it feel to be a proofreader for MAL Interviews?
from @Mimurona

It feels weird because you are the only one who has requested me to proofread anything, besides @Skittles. I'm pretty sure I've not been well instructed on how to do my job properly. Otherwise, it feels great. Contribution is the first step towards society.

What is your opinion on contemporary Hollywood films?

Not much to be honest, I don't really care about modern Hollywood. No, I'm not going to say that contemporary Hollywood is bad, lol, but I feel like mainstream movies are rather disappointing. The only American movies that reach my ears are usually pretty boring, but I'm well aware that they aren't the only thing that Hollywood puts out. Obviously there are lesser known movies that are pretty good - but, to be fair, I'd still not care about them so much that I'd dig up those movies on my own. I'm charmed by the old ways of television, that weird and old culture, and the cinema that acts as a tiny time vault from those times.

Care to tell us more about the video games you created?

Oh... Let's see... Most of them have been made for my friends. There's one I did that had my friend shoot things according to a rap song that was in the background, and all the sound effects were taken out of rap and trap music... and he enjoyed the hecc out of it. Outside of that, when I decided to use an actual engine and code the game myself, you truly see how lazy I can get with UI (User interface). I really hate writing UIs. I'll probably release a game next year - a game about eating and birth, some weird game, it will probably will go unnoticed.

Which genre of video games do you think is the most underappreciated?

RTS (Real-time strategy) games. Everyone loves the Age of Empires series, yet not a lot of people play it...? It's weird, it's one of those game series that have influenced the industry a lot (that and World of Warcraft 3) and yet, despite the RTS genre being played more and more once again, I'm surprised nobody wants to make a successor to the old RTS games and the genre mostly lives on thanks to Age of Empires remakes (thankfully there'll be a new game next year, so maybe more developers would get interested...?).

Do you think anime was a mistake?

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents

Do you see yourself leaving MAL in the near future?

Yeah, I can see myself leaving MAL... then coming back, then leaving and coming back, just like two people in an abusive relationship.

Any feedback on the interview format?

I'd say that I'd be nice to have a tiny box at the start of the interview, saying which questions have been made, and then have a tiny number near it that takes you to said question - just like a chapter in a walkthrough on Gamesfaq.

Is there something unasked you would like to talk about?

Oh, yeah. Eat is love. I only eat people I like.

Could you recommend us three users from which we can choose to interview in the future and why?

No I can't, everyone I have in mind already have one... everyone but @Hayley_N_Haydet - he is a big mystery, a curious fellow, a charming writer, he needs an interview.

That's the end of the interview. Thank you for your attention.

Dec 29, 2019 4:30 PM

Skittles said:

Yeah, I can see myself leaving MAL... then coming back, then leaving and coming back, just like two people in an abusive relationship.

fat mood.
very interesting person as i had suspected and been told
nice very nice

one flower that continues to struggle for
blossom is more beautiful than a gem

Dec 29, 2019 5:49 PM

Brooke said:
Skittles said:

fat mood.
very interesting person as i had suspected and been told
nice very nice
Abusive relationships are part of the family tradition, was the first thing that came to my mind.

Wonder why people have been over and over mentioning that they've heard of me from weird outside sources and has been throwing me kinda off: I thought I was quite the annoying little matter.

𝑴𝒐𝒏 𝒂𝒎𝒐𝒖𝒓
𝑴𝒐𝒏 𝒅𝒐𝒖𝒙, 𝒎𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒅𝒓𝒆, 𝒎𝒐𝒏 𝒎𝒆𝒓𝒗𝒆𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒖𝒙 𝒂𝒎𝒐𝒖𝒓
𝑫𝒆 𝒍'𝒂𝒖𝒃𝒆 𝒄𝒍𝒂𝒊𝒓𝒆 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒒𝒖'à 𝒍𝒂 𝒇𝒊𝒏 𝒅𝒖 𝒋𝒐𝒖𝒓
𝑱𝒆 𝒕'𝒂𝒊𝒎𝒆 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒓𝒆, 𝒕𝒖 𝒔𝒂𝒊𝒔, 𝒋𝒆 𝒕'𝒂𝒎𝒆.

Dec 30, 2019 9:50 AM

Oh... I forgot about those dumb questions I asked. I'm really dumb o_o;

What a nice interview! Thanks for the shoutout and for answering my dumb bird questions xD
and I totally get being in an abusive relationship with MAL. I'm in one too uwu

"Ideas are like rabbits.
You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen."

Jan 10, 3:27 PM
Shukumeironja

Your interview raises many questions and comments, but here I'll just say that it is pretty much what I would've expected from you: witty, whip-smart, and wacky as well as intriguing and informative. Your mention of little ol' me is also appreciated, of course. A fine read indeed.    

Oh, and I feel compelled to point out that our conversation "died" with a short message from you and a long message from me that have both gone unanswered. I've enjoyed talking to you, and would be open to picking up where we left off. Though perhaps it would be sensible to opt for a "real-time" dialogue rather than a "turn-based" one this time, if you know what I mean - I reckon that would not only be more practical and efficient for both of us, but also better suited to your loquacious nature. 

Jan 11, 9:55 AM

Have you ever considered getting a pet bird before? @ TheMariqua

Life has no meaning,
but that doesn't mean
we shouldn't live it

Jan 11, 11:10 AM

TuryuriOwO said:
Have you ever considered getting a pet bird before? @ TheMariqua

Had 2 birds at one point, died of unknown reasons.

As a sidenote, why did I get 3 notifications from this?

𝑴𝒐𝒏 𝒂𝒎𝒐𝒖𝒓
𝑴𝒐𝒏 𝒅𝒐𝒖𝒙, 𝒎𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒅𝒓𝒆, 𝒎𝒐𝒏 𝒎𝒆𝒓𝒗𝒆𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒖𝒙 𝒂𝒎𝒐𝒖𝒓
𝑫𝒆 𝒍'𝒂𝒖𝒃𝒆 𝒄𝒍𝒂𝒊𝒓𝒆 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒒𝒖'à 𝒍𝒂 𝒇𝒊𝒏 𝒅𝒖 𝒋𝒐𝒖𝒓
𝑱𝒆 𝒕'𝒂𝒊𝒎𝒆 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒓𝒆, 𝒕𝒖 𝒔𝒂𝒊𝒔, 𝒋𝒆 𝒕'𝒂𝒎𝒆.