Forum Settings
Forums

Do people with a low mean score not understand Japan?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Dec 28, 2019 9:21 AM

Feb 2010
Since OP has a high mean score I doubt that line of reasoning very much.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 28, 2019 10:34 AM
Jul 2018
FlowersInTheRain said:
Maneki-Mew said:

That's just the typical self-hatred in disguise as a meme. I can't say I'm a degenerate and I don't watch / read degenerate anime or manga.

Yes it is the self hatred meme but I'm starting to think it bears some truth. There definitely seems to be alot more lewd anime than wholesome anime. Even if you don't watch it there are alot of people who are. The more I watch anime that I would usually frown upon the more I am starting to see why people like it or put up with it. Alot of the voice actors have to make all these sexual noises dubbing anime. It does make you wonder what sort of person can do that for their job and enjoy it. It would be an easy job for a degenerate.

Naah, anime is pretty mainstream now, I think many people just can't stand that, because they want to identify themselves with a "special" hobby.

Many anime aren't in any way "degenerated", I can't see that. OP just watches ecchi over ecchi and then tells people most stuff is like that.
I can't see how not sexualized cute girls are degenerated or Shounen are.
The term "edgy shit" is very vague too.
So the post doesn't tell you anything.
Dec 28, 2019 10:40 AM

Dec 2014

IpreferEcchi said:
Coolness0228 said:
It depends what you think is low and also you forgot lots of genres like shoujo, josei, seinen, etc.

I didn't forget them. Those are subcategories of 2 of the big 3.

Shoujo and Josei have cute girls.

Seinen has perversion that takes time seducing you first.

You have an extremely simplistic way of analyzing things, so that why you probably don't understand.
I doubt that ''cute girls'' come to peoples mind when they think Madoka. And what exactly does Shounen mean? Is Dragon Ball and FMA on the same level? The same thing? They are as different as salad from stake.
Dec 28, 2019 10:43 AM

Mar 2018
No one understands Japan, not even the Japanese. So your point is bollocks and you should be executed.
poop
Dec 28, 2019 1:07 PM

Nov 2017
don't care didn't ask plus you prefer ecchi
Dec 28, 2019 2:23 PM

Nov 2012
So which one of these three categories does Onara Gourou fall into?
Dec 28, 2019 2:27 PM

May 2016
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Thank you @bingstar85 for linking The Anime Man's video on "The Top 100 Anime of All Time (According To Japan) Is Impossible To Predict...", in which Joey goes through a poll of the most popular anime in Japan in 2017. Now keep in mind, these were anime that weren't necessarily aired in 2017.
These were the anime in the top 10 list:

1. Tiger & Bunny.
2. Tiger & Bunny The Rising movie.
3. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
4. Love Live School Idol Project season 2.
5. Love Live School Idol Project season 1.
6. Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning.
7. Code Geass
8. Card Captor Sakura
9. Love Live School Idol Project movie.
10: Osamatsu-san 2015.

Why in the hell is Tiger & Bunny so popular in Japan? I mean, it's a good show, yeah, but it's not exactly phenomenal. Not to mention it's pure Westerner-bait, has janky CGI, ends on a cliffhanger, and isn't a 5000+ episode family "comedy" show like Sazae-san. What gives?

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Dec 28, 2019 3:17 PM
Jul 2013
I like how people these days treat "serious" and "dark" as edgy.

What people want is a meaningful plot.

We have an endless amount of anime with stupid shit introduced all of the time - inconsistent plot, an endless amount of fanservice, the constant push into the status quo just so there are no consequences to characters' actions and "unique arcs" and so on.

How many meaningless animes are out there? So many franchises that feel like a carbon-copy of something we've seen before.

The infestation of the isekai genre, the baffling badly-written harems, an endless amount of beach episodes, pool episodes, hot springs, bath scenes, cute girls doing cute things, the constant need of pushing the old "big vs small boobs" or lewding lolis, the dumb shounen main character that gets overpowered through the power of friendship, or because he is the "chosen one" for no real reason. One fight scene after another without an actual reason or plot in-between.

While some like that stuff, those also drive away so many potential consumers.

The fact certain genres and ideas are popular over Japan doesn't mean that people aren't allowed to criticize the way people drool over the same exact shit over and over.

Anime is a medium, just like any other form of entertainment, and while Japan insists on introducing more of the same crap over and over, it still has great potential that other mediums lack. That's what makes a lot of people fall in love with anime to begin with, and that's why they'll always have a somewhat delusional hope that something will change (and let's face it... unless there is some massive change in the anime industry in the next couple of decades a change probably won't happen unless they start losing money).
ArmadosDec 28, 2019 3:20 PM
Dec 28, 2019 3:24 PM

Aug 2017
I've seen peak degeneracy but this is a whole another level
Dec 28, 2019 3:32 PM

Oct 2013
HyperL said:
Lol, and here I was thinking this was going to be a discussion on how people's naivete about the japanese culture might lead them to assume "bad writting" on the anime's part.

But no, it's just another thread trying to downgrade anime to something not worth having high expectations for.

Ironically that is who op is referring to, the ones that looks down on most anime and think lowly of the medium overall, hence their low mean score. aka the people that think these anime are too dumb for their intelligence.

I dislike persons in any medium that is apart of it, but dislike 99% of the things in it. Its like living with a enemy in your territory. Of course people wont like everything the medium offers, but if I go on your list and like 99% of the anime you rated are between 1-5/10. it means you don't think highly of this medium and even if you watch a thousand anime I wont see you as a fan of this medium, because you are not watching anime to enjoy it, but instead you use this medium to make yourself feel better, hence it is all about your ego and having this satisfaction of rating anime low, because it makes you feel better about yourself.

Its like social media like instagram, the more like you get, the better you feel about yourself, the lower you score the anime and the lower your overall mean score becomes the better you feel about yourself, if mal should get rid of scoring a lot of these folks wouldn't know what to do with themselves, they would probably find alternative way to get off on it, by writing reviews or making threads on how much this medium sucks or simple leave the medium, this option I would prefer, because if I get tired of this medium, I wont be here continue watching anime I don't enjoy, I would simple leave, but the persons with those really low mean score that are still here is only here for their ego.

Excluding persons that use the 1-5 scoring system which is dumb, but those are in the minority.

Anyways mini rant ends.

keragammingDec 28, 2019 3:36 PM
Dec 28, 2019 3:52 PM

Jan 2016
no lol that doesn't even make sense. "I must give this show a 9 since I'm not extremely knowledgeable about Japan"
Dec 28, 2019 5:59 PM

Apr 2019
As a person with a low mean score who's watching from the sidelines. This discussion is making me laugh my ass off. Lmao. What a way of lowkey trolling.
Dec 28, 2019 6:15 PM

May 2013
Just shows that some plebs are too critical and probably have s*** taste.

Dec 28, 2019 6:45 PM

Oct 2019
I mean in my opinion I think you have the wrong idea. I live in America I still don't get a lot of aspects of Japenese culture. I love anime. People with low mean scores usually look at a show very critically. Also having watched a lot of anime as I have had a friend you began to watch shows that are bad for the enjoyment of just how bad they are. I would say if they have a profile on this website they probably love anime, but when giving scores view a show critically and compare it to others. Also, the majority of people with low mean scores that I have seen also are the ones with like 500 days of anime watched. Also curious about what you consider a "low" score a 6,5,4 as I mean someone who has a 1 or 2 average unless they watch really bad shows might be slanted against anime as a medium, but not all faucets of Japanese culture.
Dec 28, 2019 7:27 PM

Sep 2014
EndlessMaria said:
NotFred said:
But I love my edgy shit!

Anime can be anything these days, shonen and cute girls just sell really well. Back in the day it was the age of edge.

The sad fact is zoomers these days can't handle a little bit of edge.
Not gonna lie I miss the edge a bit.

When I watch some older anime its always a bit edgy.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Dec 28, 2019 11:44 PM

Jun 2016
AlexThePotato said:
They might adore it but they many flaws from a technical point of view

Or people with low mean scores enjoy good technical execution. Or they have a scale that leans lower than most.
Dec 29, 2019 12:42 AM
Jul 2018
Armados said:
I like how people these days treat "serious" and "dark" as edgy.

What people want is a meaningful plot.

We have an endless amount of anime with stupid shit introduced all of the time - inconsistent plot, an endless amount of fanservice, the constant push into the status quo just so there are no consequences to characters' actions and "unique arcs" and so on.

How many meaningless animes are out there? So many franchises that feel like a carbon-copy of something we've seen before.

The infestation of the isekai genre, the baffling badly-written harems, an endless amount of beach episodes, pool episodes, hot springs, bath scenes, cute girls doing cute things, the constant need of pushing the old "big vs small boobs" or lewding lolis, the dumb shounen main character that gets overpowered through the power of friendship, or because he is the "chosen one" for no real reason. One fight scene after another without an actual reason or plot in-between.

While some like that stuff, those also drive away so many potential consumers.

The fact certain genres and ideas are popular over Japan doesn't mean that people aren't allowed to criticize the way people drool over the same exact shit over and over.

Anime is a medium, just like any other form of entertainment, and while Japan insists on introducing more of the same crap over and over, it still has great potential that other mediums lack. That's what makes a lot of people fall in love with anime to begin with, and that's why they'll always have a somewhat delusional hope that something will change (and let's face it... unless there is some massive change in the anime industry in the next couple of decades a change probably won't happen unless they start losing money).

I agree with this. Well said! Seems anime has the same problem as video games. The people making the stuff aren't seeing eye to eye with the people consuming the stuff.

Dec 29, 2019 2:19 AM

Dec 2016
Well...I started watching Anime in the 80's and even then I watched old shows from the 70's. So I feel like I've seen most of the major changes though out anime.

In the 80's anime was more "Japanese" and it was often like watching an R rated movie. But without the internet who the heck really knew what it meant to be Japanese? Likewise Japanese only saw what it was like to be American from our movies like Rambo etc. So there was unrealistic stereotypes and misinformation everywhere.

I keep hearing about how Anime has been Westernized for western audiences. But every anime still has they same old Japanese stereotypes like going to a bathhouse. The real culprit is just like America, Japanese culture has been changing over time.The internet has brought about globalism.

People have become too picky because there is an overwhelming amount of good Anime these days.
Dec 29, 2019 2:37 AM
Sep 2018
IpreferEcchi said:
D-ohnuts said:
What if I don't like either of those?

Then you aren't watching anime in a way that's in sync with Japan.

More like not watching in sync with MAINSTREAM Japan.
Dec 29, 2019 2:40 AM

May 2016
pretty good bait very fun comments oo
Dec 29, 2019 2:44 AM

Nov 2018
Meh, I think that's an over generalization. I think it's 50% cute girls & shounen and 50% stuff outside that category.
Dec 29, 2019 7:33 AM

May 2018
Isn't watching tons of trashy anime the point of being otaku?

Having low mean score is having watched a lot of trash - thus people with low one are understanding Japan better.
People watching only masterpieces are missing the point entirely.
Dec 29, 2019 8:20 AM

Nov 2019
Lol. Animes can be bad as well. And people have their own methods of rating. I like to rate on the higher side. That's why many bad to mediocre animes in my list are in the 4-6 range. But it might be different for others and I'm fully open to it.
Personal rating is just a way to show how much you recommend an anime to others. A low or high mean score doesn't matter.
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Dec 29, 2019 8:35 AM
Nov 2019
RealTheAbsurdist said:
I don't understand: it's 2019, and people are still saying "edgy" even while knowing that the term has absolutely no widely agreed meaning?
Anyway back to MAL users, I think it's more like: their tastes are different than a majority of Japanese viewers?
This is a list of the most popular anime in Japan during Spring 2019 On the list there's:

1. Wise Man's Grandchild: an anime that a lot of us foreigners really didn't like. Although I haven't

5. We Never Learn: Bokuben. At the time I'm writing this, this anime has a 7.61 score on MAL, meaning it's considered good, but not great, as anime with 8.00 score seem to be usually considered great.

6. Attack on Titan season 3 part 2: considering the absolutely insane critical acclaim it has, at least here on MAL, this is kind of a low spot, especially when One Punch Man season 2 is number 2 on the list, an anime that at least on MAL, is considered kind of a disappointment, at least compared to season 1, from what I know. Then again, it has a 7.50 rating at the time I'm writing this, so that's not a bad score.

9. Ao-chan Can't Study: an anime that is considered by a lot of people on MAL to suck, evidenced by the 6.94 score at the time I'm writing this.

12. Why the hell are you here Teacher?:

14. Senryuu Shoujo: a slice of life comedy that has a score of 7.48 on MAL at the time I'm writing this, which means that it's probably not considered great by the majority who watched this, at least on MAL.

15. Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu: another slice of life comedy. This one has a score of 7.62, which means that it's considered to be good by the majority of MAL users who watched it.

Obviously there's a lot more anime on the list, but I think I covered enough to explain what my point is: that being that light-hearted, comedy, harem, ecchi anime are much more popular in Japan, than more serious anime like Attack On Titan season 3 Part 2, and Demon Slayer, at least in Spring 2019, but I don't understand why this wouldn't apply to the other seasons Now of course, those 2 anime I listed scored pretty high spots on the list, but they're one of the few exceptions, as they're the only 2 anime on that top 10 list that are remotely serious in tone. Bungou Stray Dogs season 3 is number 10, but I have no clue what kind of tone that anime has, since I never watched Bungou Stray Dogs.
I tried to search for anime that are considered great/popular in the West, but aren't in Japan. Unfortunately, the results I've found on Google were from MAL and Reddit, and most people who posted on those sites about this topic didn't link any sources, although I did find one really good one:

Thank you @bingstar85 for linking The Anime Man's video on "The Top 100 Anime of All Time (According To Japan) Is Impossible To Predict...", in which Joey goes through a poll of the most popular anime in Japan in 2017. Now keep in mind, these were anime that weren't necessarily aired in 2017.

1. Tiger & Bunny.
7. Code Geass
8. Card Captor Sakura

Of course, I haven't watched the entire video, as it's too long, and I gotta get back to doing stuff right now, nor does the link to the poll in the video description work for me, for some reason. However, I did skim through the video, and there are definitely more serious anime (I have no clue what the tone of Tiger & Bunny is, but based on comedy being listed in it, and it being about superheroes, I'm guessing it's light hearted) on the top 100 list. Some of the more serious anime on the list being:

12. Joker Game.
13. Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
46. Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex.
50. Fate/Zero

But basically, I think it's safe to say that serious anime are popular in Japan too, but not quite as popular as anime that fall under being:

A) Light-hearted.
B) Comedy
C) Harem
D) Ecchi
E) About cute girls.

You are right, but Stoned Doctor is much more popular overseas than the domestic market of Japan!
Buy Bitcoins and others cryptos(like Monero), the great crisis is coming!
Also don't forget, taxation is theft!
Dec 29, 2019 12:31 PM
Jul 2018
Low score = small wiener. Pass it on!
Dec 29, 2019 1:16 PM

Feb 2010
Zelkiiro said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

1. Tiger & Bunny.
7. Code Geass
8. Card Captor Sakura

Why in the hell is Tiger & Bunny so popular in Japan? I mean, it's a good show, yeah, but it's not exactly phenomenal. Not to mention it's pure Westerner-bait, has janky CGI, ends on a cliffhanger, and isn't a 5000+ episode family "comedy" show like Sazae-san. What gives?

It just goes to show that stupid terms like 'westerner bait' are bullshit made up by western fans who pretend to represent japanese taste when they really are just self-absorbed and want to shit on anything not aimed at them.

As for Tiger & Bunny specifically, from what I know it's the biggest show ever among female otakus while also not being exclusive to them thanks to, well, just being a good show with solid characters and storytelling. But in the end we shouldn't ascribe too much value to these kind of polls for giving us absolute data since they're
a) just snapshots at one moment in time
b) usually more a question of which fanbase can motivate more people to take part in the poll during the time span in which it is available (either online or in some magazine), rather than being reliable data on the entire anime fandom. Who partake in those polls isn't random or exhaustive, it depends on which fandom spreads it more passionately among itself. More than 'most popular' it's more like 'most dedicated fanbase' if you ask me.

I guarantee that Sazae-san & co are still way more popular, it's just that these polls don't target the japanese population in general but only otakus, which is why there's not many mainstream shows on that list.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 29, 2019 4:45 PM
Jul 2018
Having this thread is not considered a serious question by almost everyone despite that bold question mark in the thread title, i like how some people defend their favorite edgy anime that OP pointed out as not every anime has to be one above.

Though i honestly think people with high mean score because they don't interested in becoming a critic and develop some "critical thinking" by watching their Japanese cartoons are still far better than those watch are rated from very bad to appalling because they have some interesting rating system that break the boring 1-10 system with obvious explanations what each score number means which don't need any changes tbh.

>a profile with ridiculously low mean score on MAL because more than 75% entries rated 1-3.
>some nibba in their comment section : InTeReStInG rAtInG sYsTeM!11!!!!1!!!

Yikes.
Dec 29, 2019 6:20 PM
Mar 2017
I think that people with a low score is just much more selective, opinionated, and critical of the titles they watch. As for myself, I really love Rom Coms, or Romance anime In general. Also I really try to scout the anime before I watch it, because I want to enjoy they show I am watching. I dont know the process of other people, this is just how I do it. However, with my preferred genre It really has to be 'the shit' according to my taste to score really high (more than an 8-9). I know i score high, but I just really enjoy what Ive watch so far. Except for Citrus that can go away...
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

62 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
3 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

13 by _FRB_ »»
7 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 7 minutes ago

0 by Sanjay63773 »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

105 by Piromysl »»
16 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

41 by CheesyJen »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.