Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 25, 2019 3:11 PM

Jun 2012
-Stray said:
Thus the final episode of the romcom I enjoyed the most this year, yes even more than Kaguya-sama has now ended. It appears there will be an OVA of the last part this 2020 summer from their twitter announcement. Damn that is one brutal cliffhanger.
Anyways this shows peak only shows when its Joro and Pansy centered.
Had tons of fun with this series more than I expected, its like a harem that already has a definitive end girl, we don't get harems like that.
The thing that sets this apart from some of the normal romcoms and harems is its execution of the jokes and references, said this a lot of times but this reminds me of Gintama so much hence why not a lot of people can appreciate it, cause a lot of their references can only be understood when you understand Japanese language and some of its live TV shows and some other anime.
Tho not technically in xmas but 0:30 26th, this was a great Christmas gift! died when the OP song hit when it went to Hose PoV shadowing Joro lol.
Joro being upfront that he won't hand Pansy to Hose infront of everyone was nice tho the fiery background behind him kinda ruins it but I'll take what I can get.
Hope we get more romcom's like this where the MC and his harem's flaws/dickish/jerkish sides are out in the open, we don't really get stuffs like this and mostly the nice types and innocent ones daily.
The thing that separates this from other romcoms is that unlike the norm where I watch harem and romcom because of the waifu alone, I watched this and got entertained because of Joro and a few Pansy here and there. I probably wouldn't have liked this that much if Joro wasn't the MC unlike other harem romcom where it can still work if the main male gets replaced, Joro's VA really put up his A-game, Haruka Tomatsu as well.
Would I say this was a unique take on the typical harem/romcom shows? ...probably? since I rarely come across a main character who's saving grace was him being somewhat of a jerk and the girls actually liking him because of that flaw, well not all of them but Pansy seems to be, so was Sasanqua from this ep when Joro made that assholey expression that woman got turned the fck on lol.
9/10!!!! every ep kept me entertained, laugh and time to time actually sad for some serious developments. Cant wait for the OVA.

Have you read The World God Only Knows manga? By what you wrote you'll probably love it if you haven't read/watched it. The only difference is that it's also a bit supernatural.
Dec 25, 2019 3:17 PM
Jul 2018
This anime was so bad, that it was fascinating to watch. Like Anthony Fantano's comments section, I hate it, but it's so addicting to look at.

Warning: autistic rant incoming:

1) Why...should anyone "save" Pansy? She's a grown-ass girl. She's ridiculously smart. Why can't she just stand up for herself? Why can't she just tell Hose straight to his face: "Look man, you're cool, but I'm not romantically interested in you"? Girls reject dudes in real life all the time. If Hose continues to pursue her, why not tell the adults?: The teachers, the parents?

2) Okay, so everyone knows that Joro is not as socially smart as Pansy (in fact, nobody, not even the most extroverted people I know could come up with these weird, complicated plans). Why did this moron think that Joro would somehow "pick up" her "hidden message" when pretending that she promised herself to Sun? In fact, Joro wouldn't "get it" at all, if it wasn't for Restaurant Girl CONVENIENTLY overhearing the conversation between Joro and Sun, and CONVENIENTLY being this ultra-smart extrovert who understands, "For a while" to mean, "Help me." How the f*ck can anyone understand that level of "subtext"? Yes, Japanese people culturally are a lot less direct compared to us Westerners, but not THIS indirect! Actually, why didn't Sun just directly tell Joro about his and Pansy's plan? To their knowledge, they were alone, so there was 0 risk of the wrong person overhearing them.

3) Why are the characters still saying Joro's "true nature" is him being a dick? Yes, in the first few episodes, he was a legit manipulating dick, but then throughout the whole anime, he's genuinely a good person? But now he's a dick, but he's not a dick? I don't get it!
Joro is honestly the worst protagonist I've seen in anime, which is really saying something: at least the bland harem MC archetype is consistent. Joro's personality is so inconsistent, that I have 0 clue what it is: is he a nice guy posing as an asshole whenever it's convenient? Is he an asshole posing as a nice guy when it's convenient? He constantly switches between the two whenever it's convenient for the plot.
Kazuma from Konosuba is an asshole because he refuses to put up with peoples' shit, and he's a pervert, but he has a basic sense of moral like any normal person.
Hachiman from Oregairu is a good guy, who ACTS like an asshole to act as a social scapegoat to help people, but he never has any assholish tendencies.

4) The girls understand that Joro was trying to get Hose away from Pansy, but they're so fucking self-centered that they decide to help Joro be forced away from Pansy, so they have a higher chance of getting into his pants. I don't have a problem with characters being selfish in anime, but none of these girls were ever established as being THIS selfish. Worse, the anime completely glorifies their selfishness with the happy music playing, as though it's saying, "Girls: it's perfectly okay to be self-centered pieces of shit when it comes to your crush."

This conflict would've been resolved in less than an episode if the characters were:

1) More upfront and direct, which they have been in the past episodes: Pany openly criticizes Joro, Joro told newspaper girl to go fuck herself, so directly rejecting a guy should be no problem.
2) Willing to resort to telling teachers and their parents to report harassment.

I honestly f*cking hate myself for dropping Dr. Stone right near the end, because I got bored of entire episodes dedicated to just characters doing science stuff, but my autistic fascination with this shit-fest led me to finish watching it.
removed-userDec 25, 2019 3:24 PM
Dec 25, 2019 3:58 PM
Jun 2019
RealTheAbsurdist said:
3) Why are the characters still saying Joro's "true nature" is him being a dick? Yes, in the first few episodes, he was a legit manipulating dick, but then throughout the whole anime, he's genuinely a good person? But now he's a dick, but he's not a dick? I don't get it!
Joro is honestly the worst protagonist I've seen in anime, which is really saying something: at least the bland harem MC archetype is consistent. Joro's personality is so inconsistent, that I have 0 clue what it is: is he a nice guy posing as an asshole whenever it's convenient? Is he an asshole posing as a nice guy when it's convenient? He constantly switches between the two whenever it's convenient for the plot.
He’s in that transitional period where his “real self” isn’t one or the other, it’s about being honest with himself, regardless of whether that’s being pleasant or nasty.
The show “punishes” him whenever he does one or the other for insincere reasons. The lesson isn’t “don’t be a douche” or “don’t be a push over”. It’s “don’t lie to yourself”. That’s how I interpreted it, anyway.

4) The girls understand that Joro was trying to get Hose away from Pansy, but they're so fucking self-centered that they decide to help Joro be forced away from Pansy, so they have a higher chance of getting into his pants. I don't have a problem with characters being selfish in anime, but none of these girls were ever established as being THIS selfish. Worse, the anime completely glorifies their selfishness with the happy music playing, as though it's saying, "Girls: it's perfectly okay to be self-centered pieces of shit when it comes to your crush."
The set up the two other girls (Hoses’s friends) as an example of why not being selfish, why not being open about your feelings, is bad. Again, “don’t lie to yourself” is the lesson I took away. The lesson was as much for Joro’s friends as it was him. They’d be miserable being pushovers. Honestly, it’s a healthier mindset that they put their feelings and intentions out there, even if they are selfish in doing so. It’s their honest selves.

This conflict would've been resolved in less than an episode if the characters were:

1) More upfront and direct, which they have been in the past episodes: Pany openly criticizes Joro, Joro told newspaper girl to go fuck herself, so directly rejecting a guy should be no problem.
This is the bit I agree with. It’s odd that Pansy has completely lost her spine when it comes to Hose. I feel like I’d need to rewatch some stuff to see if there’s something I’ve missed. I get the sense that he’s just overly persistent and she’s gone through being direct with him in the past and it hasn’t worked. Hose definitely seems like the kind of dude who will trample on the feelings of others to get what he wants, even if it’s the person he “loves”. If he’s been set up as the opposite of Joro, then I take that as him being more socially aware, and that kind of makes his actions even grosser than Joro’s. There’s a lot of mystery surrounding the whole situation because Pansy is kinda completely lost whenever Hose is around. I’m not sure what to make of it all.

I honestly f*cking hate myself for dropping Dr. Stone right near the end, because I got bored of entire episodes dedicated to just characters doing science stuff, but my autistic fascination with this shit-fest led me to finish watching it.
Man, that’s a shame. I took that as being the whole point of Dr Stone and after I embraced that I had a blast. If you have the time I do recommend giving it another shot. I will warn you ahead of time though that the focus of the season is building stuff though, with basically no action or fights in the last quarter of the season.
Dec 25, 2019 4:06 PM

Jun 2013
For a moment I thought it would be a netorare ending. I regret watching this sh*t.
Dec 25, 2019 4:12 PM

Feb 2019
Well, I am absolutely hopeful for another season to get this closed off. Will have to get reading too.
Dec 25, 2019 4:12 PM

Jul 2017
Let's see, where do I begin...

I really, really enjoyed this show. Honestly, it's one of the highlights of the year for me as far as TV anime go. While it wasn't my favorite romcom of the year (that would be Kaguya-sama followed by Takagi-san S2), Oresuki was certainly no slouch.
I recall being very close to dropping the show halfway through the first episode. However, once the twist occurred, I was hooked.

Many have said that comedy-wise, Oresuki peaked at the first three episodes. Which is admittedly true. While other episodes were certainly funny at times, the first three episodes were consistently funny.
However, I'm not disappointed by this. Why? Considering the following episodes were more drama-based, I was still invested in the show. The series managed to create captivating drama using the rules it had established - notably "all of your favorite romcoms being a thing of the past."
I could honestly never predict what would happen next and I was always surprised, week after week.
That said, the drama was by no means perfect. It certainly had some gaps here and there - mostly in the final 2 episodes. But it was nowhere near enough to significantly harm my overall enjoyment. If anything, it balances out in my eyes for how unique it ultimately was.

Allow me to talk about this episode specifically for a moment:
While it may not have been as strong of a finale as it could have been, it still succeeded for the most part. Joro especially was really interesting this episode. Honestly, his comment about "Do you know about women privileges?" really surprised me. Even though it didn't get political (thankfully), I certainly did not expect it to be phrased like that.
Expanding on that, I found Joro getting betrayed in a way because of that comment both funny and interesting. It goes to show that he's still prone to consequences despite being the "romcom protagonist" (which in itself is questionable).
Finally, and I think many of us feel the same way, a 13th episode would have helped significantly. To be fair, we are getting that in a sense with the OVA, but it really could have been used here.

Now, more about the show overall:
As far as characters go, Joro is obviously the standout. I firmly believe he's one of the best protagonists of the year. And while none of the other characters are quite that fleshed out beyond their assigned trope, they do more than enough to prove interesting. I really liked Hose being the "true" protagonist - and the "final boss" as a result.
The OST was very nice. Beyond the OP, which is in my opinion one of the best of this year, the background tracks complimented the episodes nicely as well.
Perhaps my biggest piece of praise for the show as far as technical aspects go, would be the voice acting. Every voice actor went above and beyond in their respective role. Once again, Joro was very much the highlight here, showcasing an incredible amount of range and being able to make any line funny when needed.

The animation itself wasn't anything spectacular, but the art was generally pleasant to look at even though there wasn't much movement. It had a rather polished look and conveyed many punchlines successfully.

Overall, Oresuki has done one thing for certain:
It became a show that's not your standard romcom.
For a genre that doesn't always receive much innovation, Oresuki goes above and beyond in that regard.
That aside, Oresuki still shows an adept understanding at how to handle its characters and writing, resulting in one heck of a show.
While it's certainly not perfect, the good is more than enough to outweigh some minor gripes.

With that, I give Oresuki: Are You the Only One Who Loves Me? an 8.5/10.

I would very much like a Season 2, and am highly anticipating the OVA.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Dec 25, 2019 4:14 PM
Jul 2018
Scerttle said:
He’s in that transitional period where his “real self” isn’t one or the other, it’s about being honest with himself, regardless of whether that’s being pleasant or nasty.
The show “punishes” him whenever he does one or the other for insincere reasons. The lesson isn’t “don’t be a douche” or “don’t be a push over”. It’s “don’t lie to yourself”. That’s how I interpreted it, anyway.

But after the first few episodes, Joro was never sincerely an "asshole." The only times he is an "asshole" is to try to help people (telling newspaper girl to fuck off so she wouldn't obsess over him...which didn't do anything, because she still obsesses over him).

Scerttle said:
The set up the two other girls (Hoses’s friends) as an example of why not being selfish, why not being open about your feelings, is bad. Again, “don’t lie to yourself” is the lesson I took away. The lesson was as much for Joro’s friends as it was him. They’d be miserable being pushovers. Honestly, it’s a healthier mindset that they put their feelings and intentions out there, even if they are selfish in doing so. It’s their honest selves.

You can be honest without being selfish: the girls could've easily confessed to Joro, but help get Hose get away from Pansy. It's possible to be honest with your feelings without being selfish. There's a time and place for everything.

Scerttle said:
I feel like I’d need to rewatch some stuff to see if there’s something I’ve missed.

Unless you take literal notes on a paper, I don't think it's possible for anyone to watch a show weekly, and still remember everything that happens as well if they watched it in a much shorter time period. Basically, this part of your post applies to me as well.

Scerttle said:
I get the sense that he’s just overly persistent and she’s gone through being direct with him in the past and it hasn’t worked.

If the guy's still after her, why don't the characters just straight up tell the teachers/parents? Is teenage pride so high against the idea of "snitching" that characters will be this stupid?

Scerttle said:
Man, that’s a shame. I took that as being the whole point of Dr Stone and after I embraced that I had a blast. If you have the time I do recommend giving it another shot. I will warn you ahead of time though that the focus of the season is building stuff though, with basically no action or fights in the last quarter of the season.

I dropped Dr. Stone after episode 22. I knew going into Dr. Stone that it was going to be about characters using science to make stuff, but I didn't think that they would literally just be doing that 90% of the anime. I don't mind there not being any action. There's little focus on plot conflict and character development. Kind of like how Jojo is 90% of the time just characters fighting. Which I also take issue with. Except I like watching characters fight, but not spend whole episodes doing science.

@zamandzoe

Honestly speaking, I don't understand why people still like this anime after the first few episodes. While I think some popular anime like Re: Zero and Attack On Titan season 1 are bad, they have a lot of appeal: unique and interesting set ups with lots of tension, gore, and big hyper dramatic scenes. Oresuki, I honestly don't know what this anime does, that any other anime hasn't done. I don't even understand how it's "good cliche" like My Hero Academia.
removed-userDec 25, 2019 4:21 PM
Dec 25, 2019 4:31 PM
Jun 2019
RealTheAbsurdist said:
But after the first few episodes, Joro was never sincerely an "asshole." The only times he is an "asshole" is to try to help people (telling newspaper girl to fuck off so she wouldn't obsess over him...which didn't do anything, because she still obsesses over him).
Mmm. I think the show needed more examples of him being a douche, but earnestly. Like more scenes with him being savage but fair. It would have been better if newspaper girl bowed out of the show cause she couldn’t handle him being real with her or something. But they fell into the harem trope of needing to have ALL THE GIRLS be romantically interested.

You can be honest without being selfish: the girls could've easily confessed to Joro, but help get Hose get away from Pansy. It's possible to be honest with your feelings without being selfish. There's a time and place for everything.
True, but I think Hose’s friends needed to see people be honest with themselves. The show will most likely demonstrate that in the OVA and have the two other girls give Joro their votes, along with Pansy, and Joro’s dumb plan will result in a stalemate.

Unless you take literal notes on a paper, I don't think it's possible for anyone to watch a show weekly, and still remember everything that happens as well if they watched it in a much shorter time period. Basically, this part of your post applies to me as well.
This year is my first time watching stuff seasonally, so it’s been a pretty different experience, that’s for sure!

If the guy's still after her, why don't the characters just straight up tell the teachers/parents? Is teenage pride so high against the idea of "snitching" that characters will be this stupid?
Kinda. Kids are dumb. I went through a lot of BS in highschool that I really wouldn’t have had to if I was more honest with my parents. Maybe I relate to these characters cause I was a bloody idiot when I was a teen 😂

I dropped Dr. Stone after episode 22. I knew going into Dr. Stone that it was going to be about characters using science to make stuff, but I didn't think that they would literally just be doing that 90% of the anime. I don't mind there not being any action. There's little focus on plot conflict and character development. Kind of like how Jojo is 90% of the time just characters fighting. Which I also take issue with. Except I like watching characters fight, but not spend whole episodes doing science.
Oh, true! Fair! The last couple of episodes were more focused on the characters. Maybe it’d be enough to catch your interest again? I think it was a 24 ep season so you should smash out those last two eps. I definitely feel you. A good fight can tell you a lot about characters and develop them in other ways that the straight technology rush of Dr Stone can’t quite match. Apologies if you end up watching those two eps and they don’t appeal to you 😂
Dec 25, 2019 4:43 PM

Apr 2013
Tsubaki, Sasanqua, Cosmos, and Asunaro > Pansy.
Dec 25, 2019 4:47 PM

Jul 2017
RealTheAbsurdist said:

@zamandzoe

Honestly speaking, I don't understand why people still like this anime after the first few episodes. While I think some popular anime like Re: Zero and Attack On Titan season 1 are bad, they have a lot of appeal: unique and interesting set ups with lots of tension, gore, and big hyper dramatic scenes. Oresuki, I honestly don't know what this anime does, that any other anime hasn't done. I don't even understand how it's "good cliche" like My Hero Academia.

A lot of what I said was my personal enjoyment. While I still very much enjoyed the show, if I was talking critically, I would have spent more time talking about its flaws.
Romcoms are my favorite genre so I may be a bit biased too.

Like how you dislike some popular anime, I dislike my fair share as well. I find Your Name. and Spirited Away painfully mediocre.
Your analysis is still valid though.

Really, I just appreciate the execution of the show so much. No aspect of it is the best of its kind.
For example, Kaguya-sama beats it out in terms of comedy. And you can bet plenty of shows beat Oresuki in terms of drama.
But Oresuki struck a nice balance, for me at least. It's flawed indeed, but it gave me a little bit of everything.
I wanted to know what would happen next week after week, which isn't something I can say for a lot of shows.

All in all, my taste in anime is probably out of wack. And you may very well be correct about Oresuki not being all that unique.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Dec 25, 2019 5:32 PM
Jul 2018
wank said:
i was gonna write about how shit this was, especially the dumpster fire that was this last arc, but everyone else has already flamed it enough for me.

just wanna add: pansy worst girl. tsubaki best girl.

Because Tsubaki wasn't a stalker who blackmailed her crush to socialize with her?
Dec 25, 2019 5:45 PM

Jan 2017
Such a trash Ending to a Bad Show Even What will happen in the Ova is so Obvious that the fact that They are going to make it an ova ınstead of making this series an 13 episode anime and end it in a single go is just so funny, This is not a spoiler cause I didn t read the novel but Let me tell you What is going to happen since İt is beyond obvious and Anyone can see it ''Since Now Hose has 3 votes, Joro will make Cherry and Tsukimi vote for him and İt will be 3 votes with pansy then Sun chan will win the game and VİCTORY for Joro'' We have to wait for Such an obvious ending
Dec 25, 2019 5:47 PM

May 2015
So the OVA (a.k.a episode 13) isn't coming out until Summer of next year? Yeah, that's pretty shitty. Who thought that was a good idea?

Dec 25, 2019 5:50 PM

Sep 2019
worst thing i have ever watched in my entirely life
Dec 25, 2019 5:58 PM

Sep 2011
This was insultingly awful. It was a massive train wreck with tracks going off in every direction. At every turn the series became what it originally mocked. Character personalities made 180s for no reason. Every character is scum, so if that is the point why should I care about this abomination of a cliffhanger?
Dec 25, 2019 6:14 PM
Dec 2018
Really not sure what is going on, a really contrived plot, a load of inconsistencies, Pansy's friends being prepared to sell her down the river, Pansy becoming hopeless, Sun Chan being involved in some intricate plot. Asunaro maybe, but I'm surprised the other two love Joro to the extent that they would cut him off from Pansy forever. Too many characters who are now doing too many weird things and doing 180 degree turns for no apparent reason. At this point, Sasanqua and Tsubaki are the only ones who can be trusted. Of course, there will be some plot twist at some point but i can't help feeling that what started out in really promising fashion has now overcomplicated things somewhat and is having trouble keeping up with itself. And i understand that it is comedy, but why are they holding an auction for their friend?
Dec 25, 2019 6:42 PM
Oct 2018
Too many characters. Too much plot trickery. Pansy and Joro are enough honestly. Wish they had their own show with bench-kun.
Dec 25, 2019 6:45 PM
Oct 2018
Too many characters. Too much plot trickery. Pansy and Joro are enough honestly. Wish they had their own show with bench-kun.
Dec 25, 2019 6:48 PM

Jul 2015
weird logic there. smuriko should just be honest and date w/ MC
not encourage this trophy gf challenge thing
Dec 25, 2019 6:48 PM
May 2016
Well that ending cemented my hatred for this show, it really just tried to be too clever for its own good and just became garbage instead.
Dec 25, 2019 7:26 PM
Nov 2016
ErinaNakiri1 said:
Such a trash Ending to a Bad Show Even What will happen in the Ova is so Obvious that the fact that They are going to make it an ova ınstead of making this series an 13 episode anime and end it in a single go is just so funny, This is not a spoiler cause I didn t read the novel but Let me tell you What is going to happen since İt is beyond obvious and Anyone can see it ''Since Now Hose has 3 votes, Joro will make Cherry and Tsukimi vote for him and İt will be 3 votes with pansy then Sun chan will win the game and VİCTORY for Joro'' We have to wait for Such an obvious ending

My prediction is slightly different, but only slightly: The two girls will vote for Joro, but Pansy will hold off. Sun-chan will win. And then it will be up to Pansy to decide the tie-breaker.
Dec 25, 2019 7:28 PM

Aug 2018
I had my laughs for sure over the course of this anime, but this episode sure was by far the worst in my opinion. There was something missing that didn't felt right. Oh well, atleast we're getting apparantly already an OVA. Hopefully that clear some things up.

In overal pretty ok in a positieve way compaired with most modern rom com anime. Not saying it's the best, but it isn't the worst iether. Pansy is by far the best charather in this anime followed by of course Bench-kun.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Dec 25, 2019 7:30 PM

Jan 2011
feel like instead of ranting about the amount of dumpster fire this trash ended up being
because there's a lot however it's already been said.

I'll just say Tsubaki > everyone else in this show because they weren't scheming pieces of shits maybe Sasanqua even if she was a basic af tsundere

even if OreSuki had some cute girls and entertaining but very silly moments the amount of characters it had that all kinda just sucked took away most of my joy and the fact it tries to act smarter than it is when it in it's self is just another harem.

6/10 fuck Joro and Pansy and 80% of the cast at that matter god damn lol
Dec 25, 2019 7:43 PM
Jun 2012
RealTheAbsurdist said:

Kazuma from Konosuba is an asshole because he refuses to put up with peoples' shit, and he's a pervert, but he has a basic sense of moral like any normal person.
Hachiman from Oregairu is a good guy, who ACTS like an asshole to act as a social scapegoat to help people, but he never has any assholish tendencies.

Joro's personality switches is like Jekyll and Hyde. One side is nice and sweet while the Hyde side is the dark side to Joro.
Dec 25, 2019 7:48 PM

Nov 2008
Unfortunately, this series was always at the top of my "Okay, I'll get this out of the way and then watch the good series" list, and it never really left that spot. It didn't know what it wanted to be, and ended up being what it originally made fun of. I typically like a good romcom, even a harem when done well (like "We Never Learn"), but when you start out saying you won't be like "those OTHER shows", you need to be consistent and not just try to get by with running gags and 4th wall jokes... though Bench-kun made me laugh every time I saw it, so points for creativity.

6/10 - I pray I never have friends as cryptic as these people. I also hope that Pansy finds her spine. I know she had one at the beginning of the series when she was stalking and blackmailing the guy she likes, so I'm not sure why she can't muster of the courage to say "I appreciate how you helped me out before, but I only want to be friends."
Dec 25, 2019 7:52 PM

Nov 2016
operationvalkyri said:
Sequel baiting at its worst. Dang! Enjoyed this episode but wish they had ended the story here.

Yeah this is the kind of shit you would expect 10 years ago, I absolutely hated it.
Dec 25, 2019 8:12 PM
Jul 2018
DragonFlame91 said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

Joro's personality switches is like Jekyll and Hyde. One side is nice and sweet while the Hyde side is the dark side to Joro.

Except after the first few episodes, he's never actually Hyde. He just PRETENDS to be, which rarely happens across the anime.
Dec 25, 2019 8:16 PM

Mar 2019
Liked all the Pansy reactions and the final but non-final episode thing... ( >OVA )

But the real thing here was... that at least 10 of the 12 episodes were too predictable and ez to read...

And that reduces the emotions, impact, surprises and makes it just "mñeh"...

Thats why for me this series is just a 6 of 10. (6.43 exact score).
YuyoAlbertoDec 25, 2019 8:19 PM
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Dec 25, 2019 8:59 PM

Apr 2018
Welp this wasn't a satisfactory ending. Even with the 4th wall breaking, winning is not an easy feat for Joro lol.
Dec 25, 2019 9:03 PM
Jul 2018
RealTheAbsurdist said:
As someone who doesn't watch harem shows at all, I can tell you why I stuck around: for the comedy gimmicks. The show made me chuckle often. I loved when Joro spoke English (his VA did an amazing job btw), I loved his mean expressions, I loved when Cosmos slipped into her formal samurai role, loved it when Joro rode off into the sunset with Sun-chan, loved the 4th wall breaks and the baseball match singularity, and last but not the least, loved Bench-kun. I didn't watch the show for the plot, which was horrendous, or the characters (stupid), but for the absurdity.
Dec 25, 2019 9:09 PM
Apr 2016
redwhitenblue said:
ErinaNakiri1 said:

My prediction is slightly different, but only slightly: The two girls will vote for Joro, but Pansy will hold off. Sun-chan will win. And then it will be up to Pansy to decide the tie-breaker.
Shirai-chan said:
Welp this wasn't a satisfactory ending. Even with the 4th wall breaking, winning is not an easy feat for Joro lol.

Wow theres a discussion thread also added regarding the ending of this arc and ova plot read it if you want
Dec 25, 2019 9:11 PM

Jun 2019
Well, it wasn't the worst thing i got for Christmas but it was definitely a let down. Not just the episode but the entire series. It started out good but after a while it started to get tiring and the story started shooting around like it was in a pinball machine. I finished the series just because i did enjoy some of the jokes and i wanted to at least see some conclusion to the brain fuck they just did to me just to get told to wait 6 months. Was one of my favorites at the beginning of the season but quickly dropped to about 6 or 7 by the end.
Dec 25, 2019 9:26 PM

Nov 2017
the ending just i predicted... but, dont have plan to watch the next season (if it does exist)
Now Loading.....
Dec 25, 2019 9:39 PM
Apr 2016
bondtux said:
the ending just i predicted... but, dont have plan to watch the next season (if it does exist)

The ending of this arc will surprise you
Dec 25, 2019 9:40 PM

Jan 2019
I want the 2nd season right fucking now.
End me
Dec 25, 2019 9:41 PM
Apr 2016
For those who don't to watch the OVA shit

I this is a more detailed summary of Volume 4 with Volume 5 in the event they really crammed Volume 5 into one last episode finale.

Spoilers down below, this Series is too complicated to make a tl;dr sentence.

Dec 25, 2019 9:55 PM
Jun 2017
Love that finale... Go Joro... battle for Love..
Dec 25, 2019 10:08 PM

Jan 2018
Dec 25, 2019 10:21 PM

Nov 2017
AsT5 said:
bondtux said:

The ending of this arc will surprise you

i think i wont be surprised bcoz there's an SsHole spoiled me back then, so just wait that happen. So, no surprise....
Now Loading.....
Dec 25, 2019 10:41 PM
Jun 2015
I am still not sure what this series was going for, and this episode sums up my thoughts. On one hand, it appears to be a parody of the harem genre, while on the other, it is a drama and the type of generic harem that it itself is trying to parody. This could work, but both parts usually clash, and the different aspects are done forcefully. The parody elements come off like they are trying too hard, and the drama/harem aspects feel forced rather than organic among the characters. It wasn't very original either in its parody aside from Pansy's perspective of Hose from episode 11. Everything else parody-wise has been done before in more consistent anime.

Regarding the clashing genres, the worst part of the episode for me is the scene where the three girls announce their status as love rivals and support Hose getting with Pansy. Now, it isn't so much that they want those two together, rather they want Joro for themselves, however, they clearly know how Pansy reacts to Hose and how traumatic it is. The fact that she had to change appearances in order to avoid him highlights the depths of her trauma. These girls, who are supposed to be friends(?), act in a way that, while they admit is entirely selfish, is in complete disregard of Pansy's trauma.

Overall, the anime's best comedy was in the first few episodes, and its best drama/commentary on the genre was from episode 11. This show is much like its protagonist: two-faced, often trying way too hard to make the desired impression, and at its best and most comfortable when its just having fun with its characters; letting them be themselves rather than act out a preconceived trope. 6/10
Dec 25, 2019 10:48 PM

May 2015
Didn't like this at all.
I guess I'm old. This anime felt targeted to otaku millennials who think normal romcom is lame.
6/10
Dec 25, 2019 10:59 PM
Nov 2018
Panji is a coward and deserves to be forced to go out with hose as a punishment for not confronting him and saying no.
Dec 25, 2019 11:11 PM

Nov 2016
At first I though this was just a dumb show with a promising premise that unfortunetely failed the landing but was still kinda charming. But after reading some of the comments both negative and positive ones, I think I might've to check again.
Though my biggest problem with it still stands in how in the last eps it treated the girl who in the earlier arc single handedly solved every problems and that I was gunning for one of the best girls of the year sigh.
JoyBoy_316Dec 25, 2019 11:15 PM
Dec 25, 2019 11:36 PM
Jul 2018
operationvalkyri said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:
As someone who doesn't watch harem shows at all, I can tell you why I stuck around: for the comedy gimmicks. The show made me chuckle often. I loved when Joro spoke English (his VA did an amazing job btw), I loved his mean expressions, I loved when Cosmos slipped into her formal samurai role, loved it when Joro rode off into the sunset with Sun-chan, loved the 4th wall breaks and the baseball match singularity, and last but not the least, loved Bench-kun. I didn't watch the show for the plot, which was horrendous, or the characters (stupid), but for the absurdity.

Alright, that's understandable. The comedy somewhat aplealed to me, and it seems to have appealed to a lot of people. But at the same time, I don't recall there being many comedic scenes (whether they're funny or not is subjective), and the style of humour in this anime, I don't think is any different than anime like Gintama, My Bride is a Mermaid, and pretty much every comedy anime that relies on exaggerated but not too exaggerated style of comedy. However, if I were you, and I enjoyed the comedy of Oresuki, but thought the story and characters sucked, I would watch a comedy anime like the ones listed. Because yes, Oresuki is a comedy anime, but it's also a drama, so there aren't as many comedic scenes. Pure comedy anime like Gintama have comedic scenes every minute.
A lot of anime considered bad by critics, like SAO, Future Diary, Elfen Lied, etc, are still enjoyed by really young people, because the premises are dark, and the stories are gory and intense. If a critic told a very young viewer why they think Future Diary sucks, then they would probably be persuaded. I know when I watched Future Diary as a kid, I thought it was the shit, until I watched critics' explaining why it sucked. Basically when you're no older than 14, you probably aren't critically thinking about the anime you're watching. Yes, it could be argued that the anime I listed have serious flaws, but they're what I would call subtle flaws, in that if you turn your brain off, you won't spot them. But I think Oresuki is so bad, that even if I turned off my brain, I would still spot the major flaws. Even when I turn my brain on, I'm still not that good of a critical thinker, compared to some of the members on MAL.
Dec 26, 2019 12:31 AM
Mar 2019
Sasanqua the best girl.
Dec 26, 2019 1:02 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Finally finished. The anime felt a bit different from when I read the manga but I'll give it a pass score since it still enjoyable.

It felt a bit rush and I noticed the missing scenes from the manga. With an sequel OVA instead of a S2. They made it clear that there did not have the budget for S2.
RIP Sasanqua...

I'll stick with manga and novel for this series

Man the comments in this forum are crazy tho...we go off-topic to talking about other anime here

RealTheAbsurdist said:

Alright, that's understandable. The comedy somewhat aplealed to me, and it seems to have appealed to a lot of people. But at the same time, I don't recall there being many comedic scenes (whether they're funny or not is subjective), and the style of humour in this anime, I don't think is any different than anime like Gintama, My Bride is a Mermaid, and pretty much every comedy anime that relies on exaggerated but not too exaggerated style of comedy. However, if I were you, and I enjoyed the comedy of Oresuki, but thought the story and characters sucked, I would watch a comedy anime like the ones listed. Because yes, Oresuki is a comedy anime, but it's also a drama, so there aren't as many comedic scenes. Pure comedy anime like Gintama have comedic scenes every minute.
A lot of anime considered bad by critics, like SAO, Future Diary, Elfen Lied, etc, are still enjoyed by really young people, because the premises are dark, and the stories are gory and intense. If a critic told a very young viewer why they think Future Diary sucks, then they would probably be persuaded. I know when I watched Future Diary as a kid, I thought it was the shit, until I watched critics' explaining why it sucked. Basically when you're no older than 14, you probably aren't critically thinking about the anime you're watching. Yes, it could be argued that the anime I listed have serious flaws, but they're what I would call subtle flaws, in that if you turn your brain off, you won't spot them. But I think Oresuki is so bad, that even if I turned off my brain, I would still spot the major flaws. Even when I turn my brain on, I'm still not that good of a critical thinker, compared to some of the members on MAL.

Bro, as a Gintama fan, I know well you didn't even watch that series to be claiming that it has comedic scenes every minute. Your credibility is off. Yes, it's a comedy series but no it's no every minute. Once a while there are times where to they go fight the villains, so I wouldn't call that comedic every minute. Without those time where they go into a arc, it's basically like a filter/no real plot/slice of life/comedy/laid back most of the time.

They explained how filter work and do camoe with the current anime as it aired. Although it has around 300+ eps, it felt much longer than One Piece that I marathon with in 5 months. If I were to suggest a long anime to a friend, it wouldn't be Gintama since it difficult to understand the jokes without know Japanese. Don't expect to laugh every minutes. You might laugh every couple eps but not every minutes.
Fuwa_sanDec 26, 2019 1:12 AM
Dec 26, 2019 1:08 AM
Apr 2016
haydee82 said:
Panji is a coward and deserves to be forced to go out with hose as a punishment for not confronting him and saying no.

Dude do you still think hose will leave her if she just rejects him
That dudes a demon and in today's episode even tsubaki said that he won't leave her if she dates Sun chan or anyone else

That's why joro got a choice to help her
That's when the bet thing came in

And i don't like the idea of using pansy as a trophy in this challenge
Dec 26, 2019 1:14 AM

Aug 2013
It's official...the only legitimate RomCom series to come out in recent years is Love is War. This was just straight up hilariously disappointing. The only good thing was Joro's internal commentary when he was in asshole mode.
Don't believe the hype.
Dec 26, 2019 1:48 AM
Jul 2018
AsT5 said:
haydee82 said:

Dude do you still think hose will leave her if she just rejects him
That dudes a demon and in today's episode even tsubaki said that he won't leave her if she dates Sun chan or anyone else

That's why joro got a choice to help her
That's when the bet thing came in

And i don't like the idea of using pansy as a trophy in this challenge

In that case, why don't the characters just report to the teachers/parents that Hose won't stop harassing Pansy?

@xkazutox

Yes, I was talking about other anime, but I wish in your post you addressed the context in which I was talking about other anime.
I mean, a lot of discussions on topics, tend to branch out, which is common, and I think is very interesting. Sure, in a debate, doing this isn't a good idea, as you want to stay on topic in a debate, but I'm not debating with @operationvalkyri.
Sighs I'm really getting tired of having to clarify why I said X, or my intentions, even though they should be obvious most of the time...

I don't understand why you didn't check my anime list? I watched 10 episodes of Gintama, and almost every scene, something comedic happens. But based on what you've said, that's not always true in the later episodes. Alright, Gintama wasn't the best example: how about Baka and Test?

I wasn't recommending Gintama to @operationvalkyri because of length, I didn't say that Gintama would make them laugh every minute, I was recommending it to them, because the appeal in humor of Oresuki and Gintama are similar: yes, Gintama has references, but for the most part, both anime rely on very exaggerated humor.

@operationvalkyri

Oh yeah, I'm curious: you said you don't watch harem anime at all. How come? Why did you start watching Oresuki? Was it because of the initial subversive premise?
removed-userDec 26, 2019 2:01 AM
Dec 26, 2019 2:01 AM

Sep 2017
dang i thought this season will ended with joro choosing no one (vol 5) but we got an OVA instead, i dont like it at all. better they do season 2 because there are enough source to it, what a disappointment

man i want to see joro and pansy dating in animation
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

vicexxv - Sep 28, 2019

260 by ShoozieChicken »»
Apr 22, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2019

104 by 28012001 »»
Mar 27, 6:45 AM

» Is Manga better or Light novel for Oresuki?

BhuvanSiesta - Nov 15, 2021

14 by eiko_zade »»
Jan 29, 11:39 AM

» Could anyone explain the difference between the stories of anime and manga? Is it okay to only watch anime?

Mugiwarayaa___ - Jan 19

3 by Efan »»
Jan 19, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2019

102 by LuisSV23 »»
Dec 25, 2023 12:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.