Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 22, 2019 7:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, I love the amount of details on the weather and sea in this episode.

Reality hits hard as this episode shows the consequences of crimes. Poor Thorfinn, I feel like his pride had been hurt from the previous episode and now broken with despair. The dialogues were intense from this episode with the chereography.

Stark700Dec 22, 2019 7:54 AM
Dec 22, 2019 7:50 AM

Jul 2016
This episode was simply fantastic.

The King is either the most genius person in the world or the luckiest person to have ever existed. Regardless, declaring that you will conquer Wales literally petrified Askeladd, although he seems to have a plan...

Thorfinn's despair was the highlight of the episode for me. Thorfinn basically has no goal in his life either than to kill Askeladd. I really liked how Leif tried to encourage him.

The author of Vinland Saga, Makoto Yukimura, voiced a supporting character in this episode, and will do so as well next Sunday.

Next Sunday is going to be insane.

Overall, 5/5
Dec 22, 2019 8:33 AM

Oct 2018
My heart is not ready for next ep.
Dec 22, 2019 8:35 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Next episode is going to be bonkers. This episode was nice, the filler part was cool.

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Dec 22, 2019 8:44 AM

Jul 2014
Damn I am at the edge of my seat. Subs can't release fast enough.
Dec 22, 2019 8:58 AM

Feb 2018
Askeladd looked like he saw a ghost when Wales came up. I figured he'd have a great poker face, but he was way too easy to read there.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Dec 22, 2019 9:01 AM

Jul 2014
axel360 said:
Askeladd looked like he saw a ghost when Wales came up. I figured he'd have a great poker face, but he was way too easy to read there.

Wales is really his biggest weakness.
Dec 22, 2019 9:02 AM
May 2016
I heard this ep was mostly full of original content? Which is good, it was sort of weird that Thorfinn basically did nothing during the ongoings with the King.
Fuck man, next week, sooooon....
Dec 22, 2019 9:17 AM

Sep 2017
So good. I loved the entire scene with Thorfinn and Leif. Especially that shot where Leif is standing over Thorfinn with the light shining behind him. Man that was good. Thorfinn is in such a pitiful state I hope to see some transformation from him soon.

Also Askeladd literally shit a brick when Wales was mentioned. I'm nervous for what the king will say to him.
Dec 22, 2019 9:18 AM

Mar 2012
So that thing didn't happen this episode but today was just the set up. This didn't end where I thought they would cut it off. So next episode then will have everything. I wonder if it will be slightly longer to cover it all since this episode had some original content. Bah, I'm not gonna be ready for next week.
Dec 22, 2019 9:31 AM
Jun 2015
I will comment as a manga reader here, don't you find these original scenes unnecessary?

making thorfinn arrested for his scene hallucinating Askeladd and arranging confusion by confusing people with Askeladd, still inserts Leif motivating him to come home and about Vinland...

GabisuDec 22, 2019 10:16 AM
Dec 22, 2019 9:34 AM

Apr 2019
Amazing, that is all you can say about this episode and series as a whole. Can’t wait for the finale.

Dec 22, 2019 9:37 AM

Mar 2012
Gabisu said:
Secret stuff
I'm curious about the same thing and can only assume next week will be a long episode to put Thorfinn where he "should" be. If not, then the original content in this episode is really going to mess up the sequence of events from the manga. I was talking on another board how I have faith in Wit Studio to pull this off but your points make me doubt a little.
Dec 22, 2019 9:39 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Phenomenal episode for the week, the director promised something good and the team totally delivered! Amazing how they kept the temp across two different fronts like that!

Leif is a really heartless person. I love how he was being so upfront about it as well, not just for Thorfinn's sake but his too. "Vinland" is back in the picture too. Thorfinn's seriously been on a hopeless for far too long now, hopefully this will beat some sense into him.

On the other hand, the King versus Askeladd. Jeez, the rumours are on full force and just when the King seemed to be check-mated, Askeladd took a safe breath too early. Some sort of a leak, is it? Nasty old man sure hit Askeladd in his weak spot, I can't wait to see what he'll say next directly to him.

I wonder who the creator voiced this episode, meanwhile. I have a couple of characters in mind currently, lol. I'm looking forward to the reveal next week!

Just one more episode to go, what a ride this has been! Here's to hoping seeing this end on high note. Manga readers seem to be quite ecstatic above so that's a really great sign in advance, I suppose.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 22, 2019 9:40 AM

May 2015
I really like the music in this episode.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 22, 2019 9:41 AM

Jun 2014
Gabisu said:
I will comment as a manga reader here, don't you find these original scenes unnecessary?

making thorfinn arrested for his scene hallucinating Askeladd and arranging confusion by confusing people with Askeladd, still inserts Leif motivating him to come home and about Vinland...

I am not quite as worried, since the official twitter has repeatedly promised everything happened in the manga will be adapted, only orders will be reversed and some original contents will be added, it seems this filler (yeah, it is filler lol) is the original content they were referring to.

I assume their intention (albeit they didn't execute it as perfect as I wish them had) is to give Thorfinn something to do while Askeladd and Canute stealing the spotlight (since in the manga he was just daydreaming and only start entering the scene when things went bonkers), what Leif said will not affect much since Thorfinn would be too devastated to process much when the prologue concluded.

The whole production staff said they are huge fans of the manga, thus no way they would attempt to drastically change farmland arc; SNK season 3 part I is the worst thing that could happen but that is still loads better than some of us's worries.
Dec 22, 2019 9:43 AM

Sep 2014
And we are reaching the final part. Askeladd was totally caught off guard there. That face he made, said it all. Time to find a way to turn the tables now against the king. Still wondering what they will do with the whole anime original plot of Thorfinn being a prison.

Gabisu said:

Dec 22, 2019 9:47 AM

Oct 2009
As a Manga reader I was surprised to find myself skimming through large parts of the original Thorfinn content this episode because it was mainly just redelivering dialogue already said in the show, but slower and even reusing a lot of footage while doing it, so it wasn't even interesting to look at. Hopefully the corners cut there will mean more flashy animation for the finale though.

This was mostly just the show flying in a holding pattern, Clearly they wanted the main events to go down in the finale but now I'm slightly worried they might have to rush a little next week. The TV Anime 20-something minute episode format really can be tricky to adapt things with sometimes.

As a result of this pacing things out, I'd say this is the first episode since 17 that I would describe as anything less than great, shame the streak had to end but if they do it right the next episode will more than make up for it.

Bring on next week.
Dec 22, 2019 9:47 AM

Jan 2009

oh shit what is Askeladd gonna do in front of the King right there? is he gonna kill him right there? lol

the close up character drawings in this episode are great too just like with episode 20 and 21 if i remember right
Dec 22, 2019 9:51 AM

Jan 2009
welcum2savage said:
This premature development for thorfinn suggests there probably wont be a season 2. The director said they wanted a more complete story with this one season.

yep i made a thread about that too when the director says they want to make this an independent content as much as possible since there is no guarantee for a sequel anime (implied that is)

here is that interview https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1813651
Dec 22, 2019 10:01 AM

May 2019
welcum2savage said:
This premature development for thorfinn suggests there probably wont be a season 2. The director said they wanted a more complete story with this one season.
Oh god, i hope they don't end it like that, i don't see how they can add all of character development Thorfinn goes through in Farmland, especially since they kept the lack of development he had in this arc. Im having a bad feeling about this.
Dec 22, 2019 10:04 AM

Feb 2011
Really digged the usage of soundtrack this episode, looking forward to the events about to unfold in the next one.
Dec 22, 2019 10:08 AM

Aug 2013
I knew the king would mention Wales when he was talking about rebellious people and Askeladd getting too confident. But I wasn't expecting such a reaction from Askeladd.

Poor Thorfinn. He's broken from the inside.

One more episode left.

Dec 22, 2019 10:09 AM

Oct 2017
Another great episode, Thorfinn and Leif's conversation was amazing. Thou I wonder how this season will end with just one more episode left.
Dec 22, 2019 10:18 AM
Jun 2015
MonkeyDHunter said:
And we are reaching the final part. Askeladd was totally caught off guard there. That face he made, said it all. Time to find a way to turn the tables now against the king. Still wondering what they will do with the whole anime original plot of Thorfinn being a prison.

Gabisu said:

Dec 22, 2019 10:19 AM
Aug 2019
Great episode. Though, I am surprised they only adapted 1 chapter this episode. Has me a little worried that the finale will feel rushed. Though there’s only 3 chapters left to adapt this Arc, so we’ll see.
Dec 22, 2019 10:21 AM
Jul 2018
Well there you go Askeladd. Your hubris of thinking that your revenge is better than Thorfinn's just came around to bite you in the ass.

The music was beautiful in this episode.

Really hope there's a season 2!
Dec 22, 2019 10:44 AM

Mar 2016
absolute madness luv xx

bby thorfinn, lets go home.

the details were beautiful.

that square head really annoys me! hope he dies soon.

5/5 episode.

Dec 22, 2019 10:45 AM

Jun 2013
Begins furiously popping popcorn for next episode

The additions in this addition are interesting, though I'm not sure how they're going to make Thorfins chat with Lief cohesive with the larger narrative.
Dec 22, 2019 11:08 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Interesting that there's some anime original stuff. I wonder how it will impact the what is the known logical ending in the next chapter. Do they already know that no sequel is possible or something?

Still love this adaptation. The way they captured Askeladd's shock was fantastic.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 22, 2019 11:09 AM
Apr 2016
Extremely well done scene with Askeladd. About this much. One-man story.
Re:formed
Dec 22, 2019 11:15 AM

Sep 2014
Gabisu said:
MonkeyDHunter said:

Dec 22, 2019 11:16 AM

Mar 2012
deg said:
welcum2savage said:

yep i made a thread about that too when the director says they want to make this an independent content as much as possible since there is no guarantee for a sequel anime (implied that is)

FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....................K..... That is not a good sign at all for season 2. Hopefully Amazon is willing to invest the money to do so in the future if this shows is viewed on their platform enough (even though I hate Amazon getting anime rights).
Dec 22, 2019 11:20 AM

Jan 2009
MetaKite said:
deg said:

FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....................K..... That is not a good sign at all for season 2. Hopefully Amazon is willing to invest the money to do so in the future if this shows is viewed on their platform enough (even though I hate Amazon getting anime rights).

well Dr Stone is not popular in Japan heck it did not get a lot of manga sales boost same with Vinland Saga there in Japan it seems but still Dr Stone got a sequel due to international streaming profit alone and im not gonna be surprise if Vinland Saga will have the same fate considering this show is popular on international streaming sites (both pirated sites and Amazon Prime)
degDec 22, 2019 11:24 AM
Dec 22, 2019 11:21 AM
Apr 2019
MetaKite said:
deg said:

If it makes you feel a bit better they did say the ending of the arc will remain the same and the next episode is called " The End of the Prologue" the same as chapter 54 in the manga.
Dec 22, 2019 11:28 AM

Mar 2012
deg said:
MetaKite said:

well Dr Stone is not popular in Japan heck it did not get a lot of manga sales boost same with Vinland Saga there in Japan it seems but still Dr Stone got a sequel due to international streaming profit alone and im not gonna be surprise if Vinland Saga will have the same fate considering this show is popular on international streaming sites (both pirated sites and Amazon Prime)
I can only hope so. Until today I thought it was a shoe in for a season 2 even if it came out as late as 2022. The original content is really suspect but I appreciate the director's caution.

Lawren222 said:
If it makes you feel a bit better they did say the ending of the arc will remain the same and the next episode is called " The End of the Prologue" the same as chapter 54 in the manga.
I figured it would be but am hoping it will be a longer than usual episode so everything isn't rushed and crammed in. Thorfinn isn't even at the hall in the anime right now so looks like more original content is coming.
Dec 22, 2019 11:29 AM
Jun 2019
This episode is so much more tame and beautiful in contrast to the ones before it and hopefully the one after, it serves as a perfect emotional build up for the "pay-off" that is going to happen next episode. I cannot wait.
Dec 22, 2019 11:39 AM
Jul 2018
I always thought that I could explain why I'd get emotional when a scene happened. When Leif was talking to Thorfinn and talks about going to Vinland, I don't know why, but for the first time watching this anime, my eyes got watery. I don't know why.

I freaking loved how Askeladd screwed things up from his reaction to the king declaring that they'll invade Wales. It shows that Askeladd is not a perfect manipulator.
Dec 22, 2019 11:49 AM

Aug 2017
Thorfinn still depressed and then gets locked up. The scene with him and Lief was kinda neat but man Askeladd home might be attacked. Slowly waiting for next week now.
Dec 22, 2019 11:58 AM

Feb 2019
Slow but also a good episode. I hope the ending will be the same just like the manga. Farmland needs to be animated. Music was great.

Jul 2014
Pretty great episode. I guess they really wanted to save that "big moment" for the final episode because there was so much anime original content with Thorfinn in this episode.

Dunno where they are going with Thorfinn's character tho. His character development kicked in much earlier than it did in the manga and if he's not there for that big moment next episode it will mess up the story and narrative so much.

Devil_SlayerDec 22, 2019 12:02 PM
Aug 2019
RealTheAbsurdist said:
I always thought that I could explain why I'd get emotional when a scene happened. When Leif was talking to Thorfinn and talks about going to Vinland, I don't know why, but for the first time watching this anime, my eyes got watery. I don't know why.
It made me remember when Leif was trying to convince young THorfinn in EP1, that as he, as an adventurer, considers himself to be a warrior.
While the scene is an anime-original, I think it fits well with what we've seen so far.
Dec 22, 2019 12:13 PM
May 2017
It was kind of funny to see Askeladd so shocked tbh.
Dec 22, 2019 12:14 PM
May 2019
Everything heading up to the last episode. Askeladd smile at the end of the episode says it all.
I'm worried tho. I haven't read the manga, but I know what is supposed to happen, according to the manga. But a lot of people are saying things are actually going different, as well as the fact that I was really confused as to why Thorfinn wasn't there.
If it happens differently than what was told in manga, it would be a huge upset for me. I was hoping they would follow the manga.
Dec 22, 2019 12:15 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode as always.

The king is either really good or got really lucky with his declaration to conquer Wales. Askeladd's reaction to that was priceless, he was literally dumbfounded and had no idea what to do. Curious how he's gonna work things out.

Leif's conversation with Thorfinn really hit hard. T.T

Dec 22, 2019 12:19 PM

Aug 2012
So Thorfinn gonna grow up too like Canute and just go to Vinland?
Dec 22, 2019 12:23 PM
Dec 2019
This episode was pretty slow. I guess that makes sense if they need to spread it out so that a big moment happens in the next, still not a fan. There were some nice facial animations, especially for Leif when talking to Thorfinn. Talking about Vinland to the beat up Thorfinn was pretty nice, giving the boy something to hopefully strive for (revenge is usually not the greatest goal in a young person's life).
Dec 22, 2019 12:32 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Great episode again, sad there's only one episode left...
Dec 22, 2019 12:37 PM

Jul 2014
This was about as solid as set-up could ever be, keeping things moving with a compelling conversation between Leif and Thorfinn in the prison and also with the developments in the war and Askeladd being caught off-guard by the mention of Wales.

I'm not sure what can really be done with one episode left, though.
Dec 22, 2019 12:45 PM

Aug 2019
Amazing episode as always. The animation tho... SO SMOOTH!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

792 by skywizard »»
Mar 29, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.