Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 30, 2020 5:16 PM
Jul 2018
Luffy got throttled, toppled on, Bellamy'ed, annihilated, and one-shotted by Kaido. I saw that coming from a mile away. Luffy here was being arrogant. He thought defeating an emperor, Kaido of all people is a simple walk in the park. He tried his best, Luffy pulled out all the stops. But in the end, his attacks barely tickled Kaido. The only reason Kaido didn't dodge Luffy's attacks head-on was, I would assume, because of his drunken state. At the very least, Luffy managed to get him out of his stupor, a shallow accomplishment but an accomplishment nonetheless, and deliver that ferocious home run. No haki, no nothing. Just a bat with spikes alongside a flavor of lightning. He showed Luffy wassup, why he was called an emperor and the strongest creature in the world. Honestly, in Kaido's perspective, Luffy was being disrespectful charging at him like that as if he is a weak enemy that's easily squashed.

Just train Luffy. Maybe Gear 5? You have 2 weeks. Make the most out of it. Or at least try to if you get the chance seeing how you're being sent off to prison... Again.
Mar 29, 2020 8:47 AM
Jun 2015
Weird how Kaido got his ass handed to him in his Dragon form but beat the crap out of Luffy in his normal form.
Mar 31, 2020 10:20 AM

Jan 2013
Gator said:
At least they portrayed how much stronger Kaido is in the very last scene, but all that beating before was pretty unnecessary and just stretched things out.

To me it was clear from the moment he started engaging Kaido he wasn't going to put a scratch on him.
Every single time he kept hitting him, not a single wound, not a single drop of blood ... nothing.
Kaido just kept standing up, taking Luffy's punches

Now it really shows the power of a "Yonko" ... Emperor of the Sea, it wasn't as clear when he was fighting Big Mom.
Now I also understand the reactions we got from people seeing Luffy being crowned the "Fifth Emperor of the Sea" ... clearly he's not even close to being considered one.

I honestly have no idea where this series is heading towards now, another timeskip? - Eventually finding his crew and beating Kaido together as a team?
Hell ... is the plan they discussed even still on?
Apr 23, 2020 3:07 PM

Mar 2010
Ooof Luffy has bit more than he could chew. I wouldn't be surprised if he dies. His luck has run out. Though once Kaido reverted back all that scattered energy must have collected in one fine area.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 25, 2020 2:52 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, that's the difference between Luffy and a true Yonko level. I imagine the same thing would have happened had he fought with Charlotte Linlin too, but that's for some other time I suppose.

Got to say, this fight though was kind of tacky imo. Red miasma radiating from him was an interesting visual effect though, I must say. Surprised that Kaido's stronger form is in his normal mode rather than the transformation, or was it because he was just drunk giving Luffy the chance to utilise with that rampage?

Luffy'll be back to prison again it seems. Poor Law, plans and Luffy just don't go hand-in-hand...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 3, 2020 5:40 PM
May 2020
I read the comment section on Crunchyroll and I listened to a review of the manga chapter before I watched this, but I didn't think it was that bad. Just because they extended the fight, it didn't totally ruin the point of Luffy not being able to hold a candle to Kaido in strength. Sure, Luffy probably hit him more in the anime than the manga, but did he succeed in putting any damage on Kaido? No, no he did not. Kaido hits Luffy one time and Luffy is out, I say that is mission accomplished for Toei Animation. Also, the scene with Hawkins versus Law was pretty good.
Aug 28, 2020 1:30 PM
Dec 2014
I hope that Luffy don't win against Kaido because I find it illogical that Kaido lose before Big Mom against Luffy.Kaido look a lot stronger.I think Big Mom should lose first then Black Beard then Kaido then Shanks.
Sep 3, 2020 12:13 AM

Jun 2016
For a drunken Kaido to unflinchingly stare into Luffy's strongest moves, often without trying to move a finger, left a strong impression. All I could think was that he was trying to vet out Luffy. As in, he wanted to see what this kid could do, or perhaps as he has stated he wants to die, he was seeing if this kid was capable of killing him. I am unsure if this reading is actually strong but it's all I could think of while seeing his frightening presence. Every single hit Luffy landed only made everything feel all the more miserable and futile.

The thing is, the music didn't seem to agree. Everybody knew that as soon as Luffy was done, Kaido was going to crush him. I swear everyone knew this going into the episode, we can see this meta-contextually, contextually in the narrative, and through the freaking episode title. All of this went to say, I would have preferred a more frightening or ominous track, but I could see the argument that the music was sporting Luffy determination. Regardless, that disconnect between what we all knew was going to happen and the tone of the episode made me cringe a little, it wasn't a good effect for me.
Sep 20, 2020 3:34 AM

Mar 2020
Damn dude, Luffy went mad mode and still couldn't beat a drunk Kaido.... that was intense... That remark at the ending though... "What kind of king did you say you'd be?" You little punk!"
Jan 25, 2021 5:49 AM

Mar 2016
Ah, I see what all the fuss is about, I can see it clear as day how the anime portrays that Luffy is able to do somewhat a little damage to Kaido while I know for sure that all Luffy was doing in the manga is just tickling Kaido before being one-shotted into fucking oblivion. Still, though I can't fault the anime trying to fill out the 2 minutes ep, ofc they want to show Luffy giving it all facing off Kaido, but alas, that's not the reality as it was in the manga. Despite that though I can't really complain, such a hype like action and goose-bump inducing OST. This ep is amazing!

Kaido's Raimei Hakke and his 1 liner to Luffy after the fight was completely badass! A shame that their true difference in power is not completely pronounced in the anime.

If I were to complain about something is the anime's overly used aura blast/layer. What the fuck is that besides a cheesy visual effect to make Luffy's rage look 'cooler'. If an anime-only took it seriously, they would mistake these visual effects as something like Luffy unconsciously covering himself with advanced-busoshoku Haki or maybe Luffy's haoshoku haki becoming Luffy's embodiment of rage and then shrouding him with itself. It's cool alright, but it's just an aspect of confusion and cheap aesthetics. Just wait until he actually can do something like that in some years.
Feb 2, 2021 8:41 AM

Oct 2009
Wasn't the very nature of Gear Fourth's Boundman that Luffy couldn't stand still even for a moment? How in the hell was he able to do so, then?

FreshIngredient said:
Luffy's rage aura thing felt out of place and tacky.

xShaunShine said:
Not a big fan of the whole "aura" thing

ChMel said:
Can somebody please inform TOEI that with their useless - non existent aura shit, they are just destroying the show?
If I wanted to watch Dragonball, I WOULD WATCH DRAGONBALL.
All these years following both the anime and the manga, I've learned to live with extended fights, added content of little significance, etc (which are needed for obvious reasons).
BUT, suddenly, for the last 2 episodes, I find myself watching something that is NOT One Piece (due to the special effects during battle - I will not even mention the whole Luffy vs Kaido battle deviance from the manga - WHICH IS THE ACTUAL SCENARIO).

mangalicker94 said:
TheTexhnolyzed said:
Is the red aura around Luffy haki?

Most probably not. It's just to show luffy's flame of rage. I agree it may be cool, but it was used on the wrong place. It should have been something similar to the one we saw in the OP. For those who skip the openings I won't go further in details. :)

BenRyan said:
Why does luffy has a dbz aura. What is that even trying to show?

ShadowkillZ_ said:
If I were to complain about something is the anime's overly used aura blast/layer. What the fuck is that besides a cheesy visual effect to make Luffy's rage look 'cooler'. If an anime-only took it seriously, they would mistake these visual effects as something like Luffy unconsciously covering himself with advanced-busoshoku Haki or maybe Luffy's haoshoku haki becoming Luffy's embodiment of rage and then shrouding him with itself. It's cool alright, but it's just an aspect of confusion and cheap aesthetics. Just wait until he actually can do something like that in some years.

Agreed
SerhiykoFeb 6, 2021 4:28 PM
Mar 25, 2021 7:58 AM

Dec 2018
I'm going to go against the grain and say this and 914 were great episodes that got me all hyped up tbf ^^
And Kaido literally one-shotted Luffy :0!!
ClannadstanMar 25, 2021 8:03 AM
Mar 25, 2021 8:05 AM

Dec 2018
Ant161718 said:
FMmatron said:
Aside from the fact that the toughness of Kaidos skin wasn't highlighted this episode also undermined Kaido's speed.

Clean and simple, like a true boss.

Sir, I have to certainly disagree with you.
The anime is not the same as the manga.
The way in that Oda developes story on a few pages and panels is fastest than some others shonen manga's. You should know that.

The animation it's so much interesting and with so much action.
If you just want to see the stuff same as manga, better just read the manga and don't see the anime instead of trow shit on every episode did with a so damn good animation as this. Because this quality show it doen't deserve it.

Sorry for the big off-topic, but which anime is your gif profile pic from @Ant161718 ^^?
Mar 26, 2021 4:38 PM

Oct 2017
justasadguy said:
Ant161718 said:

Sir, I have to certainly disagree with you.
The anime is not the same as the manga.
The way in that Oda developes story on a few pages and panels is fastest than some others shonen manga's. You should know that.

The animation it's so much interesting and with so much action.
If you just want to see the stuff same as manga, better just read the manga and don't see the anime instead of trow shit on every episode did with a so damn good animation as this. Because this quality show it doen't deserve it.

Sorry for the big off-topic, but which anime is your gif profile pic from @Ant161718 ^^?

No problem, it's from Akatsuki no Yona, if you enjoy historical romance with some fantasy stuff I highly recommended it to you.
Also the manga is great!

-¡Give yourself to me!
Mar 27, 2021 6:47 AM

Dec 2018
Ant161718 said:
justasadguy said:

No problem, it's from Akatsuki no Yona, if you enjoy historical romance with some fantasy stuff I highly recommended it to you.
Also the manga is great!

Thank you so much ^_^!
Mar 27, 2021 2:07 PM

Oct 2017
justasadguy said:
Ant161718 said:

Also the manga is great!

Thank you so much ^_^!
It's nothing!! :D
-¡Give yourself to me!
Aug 10, 2021 10:21 AM
Nov 2019
Based on most comments.. What can possibly satisfy you guys!!!🌚 .. Stop comparing Manga shit to this masterpiece.. I'm not a big fan of comparisons since both introduce the hype in different way.. The manga is rushed which the anime in it's place try to fix it.. Best episode in 2019 ..
Sep 2, 2021 7:17 AM

Jun 2019
Luffy doing all that and it didn't even give him a scratch. What a beast.
Sep 2, 2021 7:38 AM
Apr 2020
Abdulaziz_Alwaha said:
Based on most comments.. What can possibly satisfy you guys!!!🌚 .. Stop comparing Manga shit to this masterpiece.. I'm not a big fan of comparisons since both introduce the hype in different way.. The manga is rushed which the anime in it's place try to fix it.. Best episode in 2019 ..
Agreed, manga readers exist only to ruin anime for anime watchers.
Sep 7, 2021 11:43 PM

Aug 2021
The last two eps were just Kaido getting beaten than being badass
Sep 17, 2021 10:48 PM

Sep 2015
The soundtrack is finally louder than the soundeffects for this episode for once, at least
But what is that red aura around Luffy?? And he knew it wasn't over yet too!

This whole time Kaido is left unscathed from Luffys attacks, it's like hes taking it all intentionally as if he was getting a massage or trying to sober up from it.

And Luffy lost his teeth again .__.

August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Jun 1, 2022 8:52 PM

Dec 2012
Big Mom has her hunger pangs and Kaido has his drunken fits. Last episode felt like when Big Mom had her meltdown at the wedding - the only chance to catch Kaido off guard was before he sobered up. It was brutal seeing him one hit KO Luffy. Still, I do feel like the overwhelming might of the emperors is what makes them so profound. I can't even imagine what gear Luffy is going to have to get to in order to finally stand a chance against either one, much less Blackbeard or Akainu.

Only thing that legitimately bothered me was Luffy standing on the ground in Gear Four.
Jun 14, 2022 4:00 AM
Jul 2018
Luffy used all of his power but it didn't even give Kaido a scratch I think Kaido was intentionally taking all of the hits to test how strong Luffy is but he was disappointed and one shotted Luffy it shows the gap between the current Luffy and a yonko and the animation is just amazing
removed-userAug 13, 2022 4:09 AM
Aug 11, 2022 10:12 PM

Jan 2021
Luffy was beating the shit out of Kaido and all anyone could do was watch in disbelief but then Kaido one shotted Luffy with one attack and knocked him out so the power difference is insane
Aug 13, 2022 8:34 PM

Aug 2018
if only luffy listened to law...
Nov 1, 2022 1:31 PM
Jan 2019
Kaido was like: Snap back to reality
Dec 18, 2022 1:00 PM
May 2021
Luffy is dead!!! Nani
Mar 4, 2023 8:28 AM
Aug 2021
BRO BRO BRO. That was a mad episode bro 1 tapped Luffy. When he said "you're the King of what?🤔😂" That was pure disrespect. Luffy should have left when Law told him to. But no the DBS Aura that surrounded his body got him 2 confused and made him believe he was him😂. How did Luffy dodge those 3 consecutive blasts whilst in the air and how did he fly up so high he wasn't using Gear 4. I don't understand how he had so much mobility. 
The_Black_B3astMar 4, 2023 8:39 AM
Sep 7, 2023 10:21 AM
Oct 2021
ONE PIECE THE GOAT
Sep 7, 2023 10:50 AM

Sep 2016
One strike, kill run or home run batter !

On slowly decaying World's way...
[বিলয়ের পথে...]
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 941 Discussion ( 1 2 )

alphazero4um - Sep 12, 2020

69 by Yubisoft »»
39 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion

phantom346 - Apr 14

11 by ThaTOnEGuY4_ »»
3 hours ago

» One Piece should be a bi-weekly release

Zeverinsen - Aug 8, 2019

2 by cerise_serris »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Oct 8, 2009

51 by Avsar_Gazozu »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 151 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veethorn - Oct 11, 2009

94 by kejora »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.