Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 20, 2019 9:32 AM
Oct 2015
I will try to avoid spoilers and only talk about the plot in season 2. Before that, I apologize if my english is rather bad. I feel it's quite important to know because the contents in season 3 will be more difficult than season 2 especially for Anime only. This anime fails to adapt some Hachiman important monologue, without understanding what happened in season 2, season 3 would be very confusing.

1. What's Yukino's problem? Why is she so angry at Hachiman after that confession scene?

First you need to at least know about the relationship in Hayama group. Hachiman and Yukino believed that the relationship in Hayama group was superficial. The proof is that Hayama did not answer Yumiko's feelings even though he knew, Ebina and Hayama did not want to hear Tobe's confession, because they knew that their relationship would be destroyed when Ebina rejected Tobe, their relationship was so weak that they tried to maintain the status quo. This is what Hachiman and Yukino believe to be a superficial relationship. So Yukino was not just angry just because she was jealous or she was just hurt to see hachiman sacrifice again but she was angry because Hachiman ruined the precious thing they shared and believed in together. Hachiman looks so hypocritical because he protects things that they both believe are worthless, a superficial relationships. Hachiman was aware of that, that's why he called himself the biggest liar, and Hachiman also did the same thing with Yui and Yukino.

2. Why did Yukino run for Student Council President?
Iroha's problem gave Yukino a reason to act, yukino is a person who acts when there is a reason to allow her to act, just like Hachiman who acts because Komachi gives him a reason. Yukino wanted to prove that the relationship of three of them wasn't superficial. She wanted to prove that their relationship was not only because of the Service Club, which would be broken when they separated or there were problems like the Hayama group. She wanted to tell Hachiman that even if they separated and she became the student council president, their relationship would remain the same, as Meguri-senpai had imagined. Unfortunately this is not understood by Yui and Hachiman, Yui even clearly considers their relationship to be very weak and afraid that the service club will be broken, a place where she can be close to Hachiman ... and Yukino. Yukino was disappointed with what Yui and Hachiman were doing. That's why she said "I thought you would understand." to hachiman at the end of the arc. She gave up on saving their relationship and chose to follow what Yui and Hachiman wanted. She continued to put on a "give up" smile during the Christmas event arc. That was why Yukino was confused by Hachiman's genuine confession on eps 8 and then she ran away, she didn't know what they wanted anymore.

3.What happens in the final episode?

Yui realized that their relationship could not continue like this, she finally knew Yukino's feelings. She made a selfish proposal to maintain their status quo, which is "I want everything." She wants Yukino to give up, be it hachiman or another relationship but Yui wants Yukino to remain her friend, she wants to keep their status quo, this will solve Yukino's dependency problem with Hachiman and their relationship problem. But Hachiman refused this proposal, this was not what he wanted, not what Yukino wanted too, he wanted Yukino to solve her own problems. This is not genuine thing that hachiman wants because he wants to reach it with hard work, not something given and full of lies.
For yukino dependency problem, and what is genuine, it will be clear in season 3.
ShiroHachiDec 23, 2019 10:05 AM
Dec 28, 2019 3:08 PM
Nov 2015
Reading this post, i dont think there is much of a problem, cause i got all of that during my second watch of the season without reading the light novels.
Dec 29, 2019 7:10 AM
Oct 2019
Black_Sheep97 said:
Reading this post, i dont think there is much of a problem, cause i got all of that during my second watch of the season without reading the light novels.
Same with me. I got most of the nuances of season 2 in my one and only rewatch
Dec 31, 2019 1:48 PM

Jun 2019
Your post is laudable, but I think that even without the missing monologues, this is easy to understand the motives of the three main characters, so I do not really see where someone could be mislead there. Furthermore, Hachiman does not necessarily holds all explanations and we should not trust his judgement on the motives of others who often do not know them themselves.
Jan 1, 2020 1:47 AM

Oct 2018
can anyone tell me if season 3 is the final season for this anime?
Jan 5, 2020 3:56 AM

Jun 2019
Stoorainclaire said:

Yes this will be the end (it will adapt all remaining LN volumes), it was announced everywhere, and if you want a clear evidence independent of people's opinions, just compare the number of remaining LN material with the number of LN adapted in the two previous seasons. Furthermore, 完 (kan) means end (completion more precisely), so the answer is already in the title. Hope this helps.

Otherwise, we might get some OVA or a movie release independent of the LN. By the way, the LN could also restart in another setting for some cash-grab reasons (as Monogatari series), so it remains possible to have a new anime in the future, but it is also quite unlikely so far.
Jan 10, 2020 1:31 AM
May 2019
ShiroHachi said:
I will try to avoid spoilers and only talk about the plot in season 2. Before that, I apologize if my english is rather bad. I feel it's quite important to know because the contents in season 3 will be more difficult than season 2 especially for Anime only. This anime fails to adapt some Hachiman important monologue, without understanding what happened in season 2, season 3 would be very confusing.

1. What's Yukino's problem? Why is she so angry at Hachiman after that confession scene?

First you need to at least know about the relationship in Hayama group. Hachiman and Yukino believed that the relationship in Hayama group was superficial. The proof is that Hayama did not answer Yumiko's feelings even though he knew, Ebina and Hayama did not want to hear Tobe's confession, because they knew that their relationship would be destroyed when Ebina rejected Tobe, their relationship was so weak that they tried to maintain the status quo. This is what Hachiman and Yukino believe to be a superficial relationship. So Yukino was not just angry just because she was jealous or she was just hurt to see hachiman sacrifice again but she was angry because Hachiman ruined the precious thing they shared and believed in together. Hachiman looks so hypocritical because he protects things that they both believe are worthless, a superficial relationships. Hachiman was aware of that, that's why he called himself the biggest liar, and Hachiman also did the same thing with Yui and Yukino.

2. Why did Yukino run for Student Council President?
Iroha's problem gave Yukino a reason to act, yukino is a person who acts when there is a reason to allow her to act, just like Hachiman who acts because Komachi gives him a reason. Yukino wanted to prove that the relationship of three of them wasn't superficial. She wanted to prove that their relationship was not only because of the Service Club, which would be broken when they separated or there were problems like the Hayama group. She wanted to tell Hachiman that even if they separated and she became the student council president, their relationship would remain the same, as Meguri-senpai had imagined. Unfortunately this is not understood by Yui and Hachiman, Yui even clearly considers their relationship to be very weak and afraid that the service club will be broken, a place where she can be close to Hachiman ... and Yukino. Yukino was disappointed with what Yui and Hachiman were doing. That's why she said "I thought you would understand." to hachiman at the end of the arc. She gave up on saving their relationship and chose to follow what Yui and Hachiman wanted. She continued to put on a "give up" smile during the Christmas event arc. That was why Yukino was confused by Hachiman's genuine confession on eps 8 and then she ran away, she didn't know what they wanted anymore.

3.What happens in the final episode?

Yui realized that their relationship could not continue like this, she finally knew Yukino's feelings. She made a selfish proposal to maintain their status quo, which is "I want everything." She wants Yukino to give up, be it hachiman or another relationship but Yui wants Yukino to remain her friend, she wants to keep their status quo, this will solve Yukino's dependency problem with Hachiman and their relationship problem. But Hachiman refused this proposal, this was not what he wanted, not what Yukino wanted too, he wanted Yukino to solve her own problems. This is not genuine thing that hachiman wants because he wants to reach it with hard work, not something given and full of lies.
For yukino dependency problem, and what is genuine, it will be clear in season 3.

Thanks i didnt understand with my tiny brain and was confused and didnt get it so i assumed the story sucked
Jan 10, 2020 9:33 PM

Jan 2015
Yeah, like others said, everything could be understood on even first viewing if you watch closely (like I did) or definitely on second viewing.
Jan 14, 2020 7:18 AM
Mar 2019
Really well put. To bad season 3 is the finale
Jan 16, 2020 4:41 PM

Jul 2015
Thank you for the explanation. The most unbelievable thing about the show is that high school kids would take friendships that seriously, haha. People don't often realize at that age how powerful the relationship between friends can be.

One question, on top of all that's happening here as stated above, am I reading it right that both Yui and Yukino have a crush on Hachiman and that all three don't want to acknowledge it? I mean Yukino is obvious but Yui is harder to read on this subject.
"Never forget who you want to become!" -Shoto Todoroki
Jan 28, 2020 1:50 AM
Mar 2018
Gandheezy said:
Thank you for the explanation. The most unbelievable thing about the show is that high school kids would take friendships that seriously, haha. People don't often realize at that age how powerful the relationship between friends can be.

One question, on top of all that's happening here as stated above, am I reading it right that both Yui and Yukino have a crush on Hachiman and that all three don't want to acknowledge it? I mean Yukino is obvious but Yui is harder to read on this subject.

I'd say Yui having a crush is much more obvious than Yukino since we've seen signs of it since early in S1. Yukino on the other hand only ended up showing signs in S2.
Feb 14, 2020 9:26 AM
Apr 2019
I rewatched oregairu for 3 times and then read the light novels.
It's more comlicated than you said.
Feb 15, 2020 7:49 AM

May 2009
I forgot what happened in season 2
Feb 15, 2020 6:21 PM

Aug 2018
Thank God i understand what Yui and Hachiman meant in that last scene of Season 2 and their motives.

The way they present was good af you really need to read between the lines to understand it
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Mar 10, 2020 10:29 PM

May 2014
Thank you very much ! that explains alot of thing that got me confused even during my second rewatch now I feel more than ready for 3rd season lel : )))
Mar 11, 2020 6:16 AM

Dec 2015
I don't even really remember the first 2 seasons anymore. And I don't want to rewatch them. Might be a bit hard to get back into this. I just hope we'll reach an end where he either ends up with no girls or with Yukino.
Mar 18, 2020 2:31 AM

Jul 2019
Looks like it's the perfect time for another re-watch!
Mar 18, 2020 3:35 AM

Oct 2016
Maybe I will rewatch in english dub.
Could anyone tell me if the english dub version is worth watching
If you try to find out who or what I am all that's waiting for you is despair
Mar 18, 2020 7:02 AM

Feb 2012
I remember thinking a lot about season 2 and I don't think I had much trouble comprehending the situation. It's been so long that I honestly can't even remember where the story went but I remember not being satisfied with the ending. I hope they wrap things up in a tidy package in season 3.
Jul 4, 2020 10:15 AM
Jul 2020
Seeing that we are slowly closing onto Season 3 in about a week I would like to see if I can re-asnwer or offer an alternate take #3 for new viewers as I felt the ending scene of Season 2 was the one of the most confusing scenes.

It all begins mainly with what the problem is. The problem in this friendship is that there is a love triangle between Hachiman, Yui, and Yukino. It is evident to even Haruno that Yukino and Yui both have crushes on Hachiman and this is creating tension between the group. Haruno believes that this triangle will destroy the friendship. In order to solve this problem Yui decides to create a plan by bringing them all out on a date to the aquarium. Before enacting this plan, Yui realizes that she does not actually have a chance with Hachiman. Hachiman is obviously in love with Yukino and Yukino in love with Hachiman. Yui and Hachiman just never had the same chemistry that Yukino and Hachiman had together. This is evident through the rollercoaster scene and the infirmary scene. Yui decides to break up this "love triangle" and stop this endless cycle. This endless cycle is symbolized by the ferris wheel where they all keep returning back to their original state. Their friendship has the "destroy build destroy" cycle, Yui hopes through her plan that they can end this cycle and move forward. By removing this love triangle tension, Yui hopes that there friendship can become genuine.

The plan goes as follows, Yui's wants to make Yukino confess to Hachiman ending this love triangle between them as Yukino and Hachiman would most likely start a relationship. However, a key thing to note is that Yui would be denying her own true feelings. Remember the only reason that Yui joined the club in the first place was to make cookies for Hachiman whom she had a crush on. By giving Hachiman the cookies outside the aquarium, she hopes to make Yukino also give the cookies too. When this part of the plan initially fails as Yukino is midst a mental breakdown, Yui initiates her "own" part of the plan. While most of Yui's plan had good intentions, there were slight hints of selfishness too. This is where most people are confused. Yui also imagines a scenario, despite the slight and minuscule odds of this occurring, that Yukino give control of the friendship over to Yui and Yui and Hachiman start a relationship by themselves. (This is the part where Yukino is stuttering "I would be ok with that") However Hachiman instantly disagrees because this is selfish and not genuine at all. Yui knew this interjection by Hachiman would occur all along, like I said she was hoping for that slight chance. Hachiman believes that Yukino giving full control to Yui is not genuine because Yukino's does not have a say in what occurs. By having Yui dictate Yukino's life is no different from how her life was before hence her dependency issue. He also realizes that Yui's whole entire plan from the very beginning was bullshit too. Hachiman knows that Yui has a crush on him and that suppressing true feelings will put Yui through hell. Hachiman rather that they all tell their feelings for each other without any bullshit or lies. In a way, a genuine relationship is progress through difficulty and hardship. Yukino interjects them both showing her for the first time taking initiative and ask for her own request.

Sorry this may have been both long and confusing but I think it is very vital to understand season two's finale in order to understand season 3.
Jul 5, 2020 3:30 AM

Jun 2020
25Yards said:
Seeing that we are slowly closing onto Season 3 in about a week I would like to see if I can re-asnwer or offer an alternate take #3 for new viewers as I felt the ending scene of Season 2 was the one of the most confusing scenes.

It all begins mainly with what the problem is. The problem in this friendship is that there is a love triangle between Hachiman, Yui, and Yukino. It is evident to even Haruno that Yukino and Yui both have crushes on Hachiman and this is creating tension between the group. Haruno believes that this triangle will destroy the friendship. In order to solve this problem Yui decides to create a plan by bringing them all out on a date to the aquarium. Before enacting this plan, Yui realizes that she does not actually have a chance with Hachiman. Hachiman is obviously in love with Yukino and Yukino in love with Hachiman. Yui and Hachiman just never had the same chemistry that Yukino and Hachiman had together. This is evident through the rollercoaster scene and the infirmary scene. Yui decides to break up this "love triangle" and stop this endless cycle. This endless cycle is symbolized by the ferris wheel where they all keep returning back to their original state. Their friendship has the "destroy build destroy" cycle, Yui hopes through her plan that they can end this cycle and move forward. By removing this love triangle tension, Yui hopes that there friendship can become genuine.

The plan goes as follows, Yui's wants to make Yukino confess to Hachiman ending this love triangle between them as Yukino and Hachiman would most likely start a relationship. However, a key thing to note is that Yui would be denying her own true feelings. Remember the only reason that Yui joined the club in the first place was to make cookies for Hachiman whom she had a crush on. By giving Hachiman the cookies outside the aquarium, she hopes to make Yukino also give the cookies too. When this part of the plan initially fails as Yukino is midst a mental breakdown, Yui initiates her "own" part of the plan. While most of Yui's plan had good intentions, there were slight hints of selfishness too. This is where most people are confused. Yui also imagines a scenario, despite the slight and minuscule odds of this occurring, that Yukino give control of the friendship over to Yui and Yui and Hachiman start a relationship by themselves. (This is the part where Yukino is stuttering "I would be ok with that") However Hachiman instantly disagrees because this is selfish and not genuine at all. Yui knew this interjection by Hachiman would occur all along, like I said she was hoping for that slight chance. Hachiman believes that Yukino giving full control to Yui is not genuine because Yukino's does not have a say in what occurs. By having Yui dictate Yukino's life is no different from how her life was before hence her dependency issue. He also realizes that Yui's whole entire plan from the very beginning was bullshit too. Hachiman knows that Yui has a crush on him and that suppressing true feelings will put Yui through hell. Hachiman rather that they all tell their feelings for each other without any bullshit or lies. In a way, a genuine relationship is progress through difficulty and hardship. Yukino interjects them both showing her for the first time taking initiative and ask for her own request.

Sorry this may have been both long and confusing but I think it is very vital to understand season two's finale in order to understand season 3.

Thank you, this is also helpful.
Jul 5, 2020 5:55 AM

Apr 2020
I'm glad I understand it without reading the source material. It was pretty easy to understand if you focus on the subtitles and comprehend their thoughts
Jul 5, 2020 9:05 PM
Jun 2020
Stoorainclaire said:
I think it is the final season according to a lot of people.
Jul 6, 2020 1:28 PM

Dec 2015
find_your_end695 said:
Maybe I will rewatch in english dub.
Could anyone tell me if the english dub version is worth watching

YES! it's a STUPENDOUS dub! seriously, i don't buy subs for my disk collection but i got S1,2. only other series i've got all subs is Monogatari.

Sentai Filmworks did a GREAT job with this dub and i HIGHLY reccomend you buy the boxed set with SNAFU S1,2 in the dub. UNFORTUNATELY the OVAs released for PlayStation Vita and online aren't available in English dub yet. 'the wedding/marriage' episode from S1 and 'the date with kohai' episode from S2.
just an ol school otaku enjoyin the life. don't sass me kiddies, i've been otaku probably since before you were born. leave me in peace and i won't bother you either.
Jul 6, 2020 2:15 PM

Dec 2015
[quote=progenx0 message=60142239]
25Yards said:

The plan goes as follows, Yui's wants to make Yukino confess to Hachiman ending this love triangle between them as Yukino and Hachiman would most likely start a relationship. However, a key thing to note is that Yui would be denying her own true feelings. Remember the only reason that Yui joined the club in the first place was to make cookies for Hachiman whom she had a crush on. By giving Hachiman the cookies outside the aquarium, she hopes to make Yukino also give the cookies too. When this part of the plan initially fails as Yukino is midst a mental breakdown, Yui initiates her "own" part of the plan. While most of Yui's plan had good intentions, there were slight hints of selfishness too. This is where most people are confused. Yui also imagines a scenario, despite the slight and minuscule odds of this occurring, that Yukino give control of the friendship over to Yui and Yui and Hachiman start a relationship by themselves. (This is the part where Yukino is stuttering "I would be ok with that") However Hachiman instantly disagrees because this is selfish and not genuine at all. Yui knew this interjection by Hachiman would occur all along, like I said she was hoping for that slight chance. Hachiman believes that Yukino giving full control to Yui is not genuine because Yukino's does not have a say in what occurs. By having Yui dictate Yukino's life is no different from how her life was before hence her dependency issue. He also realizes that Yui's whole entire plan from the very beginning was bullshit too. Hachiman knows that Yui has a crush on him and that suppressing true feelings will put Yui through hell.

1 you're confused. Hachiman does NOT know about the love triangle. Yui is the only one who's shown Hachi love/affection. she even indirectly confessed to Hachiman after Iroha won the StudentCouncil Presidency. Yukinon has only shown Hachi digust, disdain, and eventually tolerance, and friendliness. Hachi does NOT know about Yuikinon's gift in her purse during the 'aquarium date'. it's in and around Valentine's Day where girls give gifts like chocolate and Yui has given Hachiman cookies ONCE AGAIN after the 'aquarium date' and declares "i want to win it all." which means Hachi as a BF and Yukinon as a best friend. Hachiman flashes back to those cookies in episode1 "charcoal like you get from the hardware store" to quote Hachiman.

2 big sis Haruno doesn't care about the triangle. she actually only cares about being entertained by the trio. since 'love triangles' are so common she calls 'the club' boring and 'fake'. Haruno and their mom Mrs.Yukinoshita are OBVIOUSLY modeled after Cinderella's Step mother and step sisters. even though there's only one 'blood sister' the parallels are obvious.

3 Yui and Hachiman have the 'romance'. Yukinon and Hachiman ONLY have confrontational arguments and he defers to her as 'the club leader'. even Hachi comments before he starts the 'Elect Iroha Scheme' ; "How many times have I ever contradicted Yukinoshita or gone against her wishes?" if you try the old 'love=hate' and 'you only fight with the ones you love' arguments you're wrong. Yui gives Hachiman more grief than you give her credit for. what present does Hachiman give Yui for her 'mistaken birthday'? a collar for her dog Sable, that dog is what connects the two of them. what gift does he give Yukinon for her birthday? a pair of blue-light blocking reading glasses because she fiddles with her laptop alot. that gift shows NO CONNECTION between the two characters. it only shows Hachiman's high level of observation powers.

4 Hachiman knows something that Haruno and Mrs. Yukinoshita have made him realize about Yukinon. she's a follower. she models herself after the strongest person in her life at the time. Yukinon trailed after her 'big sis' in everything for over a decade. Mrs. Yukinoshita ruled their family with an iron fist and even Yukinon herself said "I was merely the good little girl that went along with everything I was told to do." the anime screws up several things with Yukinon's past, including when she went to school with Hayato as well as when she went 'overseas for school'. Yukinon mentions being bullied with having to take her recorder home every day and her 'outside shoes' being hidden 40 something times. she also goes on to mention 'a group of girls who tried to take me down, but they couldn't improve themselves enough to beat me.' the shoes and recorder OBVIOUSLY happened in Japan because nowhere else do i know of where bullying of that type happens. so the 'group of girls' had to happen while Yukinon was overseas. now, it isn't mentioned if Haruno was educated overseas but the Yukinoshita parents OBVIOUSLY treated their three years younger daughter different. if the family traveled overseas too? i doubt it, it was probably a boarding school. Yukinon mentions 'her father's company' so i'm guessing his family's business. so MAYBE he worked overseas and took his family... but if he's been in the Prefectural Electorate? no. he's stayed in Japan for MANY years. if Mrs. Yukinoshita left? no. BIG political no no even in Japan. the 'happily married political couple' is still a thing in Japan as well. so i'm pretty much 100% sure Yukinon went to boarding school for middle school and learned a little more independence. the Yukinoshita family is obviously letting Yukinon live alone. would they have suggested this on their own? maybe. maybe Yukinon wanted it for herself? remember Mrs. Yukinoshita and her self-righteous speech in-front of Yukinon's apartment building facing the trio after the 'Valentine's Chocolate Class Event'? 'i've indulged you long enough' and so on? so maybe the Yukinoshita parents are trying to foster more independence with their daughter. but, she's going liberal arts for school year 3. just like Hachiman and Yui.

5 i do agree with you on the Hachiman wanting Yukinon to decide for herself. like i said in 4. he's found out she's a follower. Yui is now the strongest person in Yukinon's life and she's modeling herself too much on Yui.

i guess we'll see what happens with everything in S3. but i DO NOT think Yui is willing to give Hachiman to Yukinon as a boyfriend.
just an ol school otaku enjoyin the life. don't sass me kiddies, i've been otaku probably since before you were born. leave me in peace and i won't bother you either.
Jul 6, 2020 5:12 PM

Jun 2016
The last part of S2 is very deep that some viewers did not get it.
And it was very interesting. Can’t wait for the real feels on S3. Hachi needs to man up and should choose the best decision. Yuki for the win.

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Jul 6, 2020 5:17 PM

Jun 2016
Stoorainclaire said:
I did not read the LN. but based on where S2 left, I’m pretty sure there must be some confession or something that made this the last season.

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Jul 6, 2020 5:42 PM

Apr 2020
Luuji222 said:
Stoorainclaire said:
I did not read the LN. but based on where S2 left, I’m pretty sure there must be some confession or something that made this the last season.

I think it's just a
Jul 7, 2020 2:31 AM

Jul 2012
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Oregairu. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Hachiman's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these remarks, to realize that they're not just nihilistic- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Oregairu truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Hachiman's existencial catchphrase "I want the genuine" which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Yui tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2020 7:40 AM
Jul 2020
[quote=KiliianSleipnir message=60153386]
progenx0 said:
25Yards said:

The plan goes as follows, Yui's wants to make Yukino confess to Hachiman ending this love triangle between them as Yukino and Hachiman would most likely start a relationship. However, a key thing to note is that Yui would be denying her own true feelings. Remember the only reason that Yui joined the club in the first place was to make cookies for Hachiman whom she had a crush on. By giving Hachiman the cookies outside the aquarium, she hopes to make Yukino also give the cookies too. When this part of the plan initially fails as Yukino is midst a mental breakdown, Yui initiates her "own" part of the plan. While most of Yui's plan had good intentions, there were slight hints of selfishness too. This is where most people are confused. Yui also imagines a scenario, despite the slight and minuscule odds of this occurring, that Yukino give control of the friendship over to Yui and Yui and Hachiman start a relationship by themselves. (This is the part where Yukino is stuttering "I would be ok with that") However Hachiman instantly disagrees because this is selfish and not genuine at all. Yui knew this interjection by Hachiman would occur all along, like I said she was hoping for that slight chance. Hachiman believes that Yukino giving full control to Yui is not genuine because Yukino's does not have a say in what occurs. By having Yui dictate Yukino's life is no different from how her life was before hence her dependency issue. He also realizes that Yui's whole entire plan from the very beginning was bullshit too. Hachiman knows that Yui has a crush on him and that suppressing true feelings will put Yui through hell.

1 you're confused. Hachiman does NOT know about the love triangle. Yui is the only one who's shown Hachi love/affection. she even indirectly confessed to Hachiman after Iroha won the StudentCouncil Presidency. Yukinon has only shown Hachi digust, disdain, and eventually tolerance, and friendliness. Hachi does NOT know about Yuikinon's gift in her purse during the 'aquarium date'. it's in and around Valentine's Day where girls give gifts like chocolate and Yui has given Hachiman cookies ONCE AGAIN after the 'aquarium date' and declares "i want to win it all." which means Hachi as a BF and Yukinon as a best friend. Hachiman flashes back to those cookies in episode1 "charcoal like you get from the hardware store" to quote Hachiman.

2 big sis Haruno doesn't care about the triangle. she actually only cares about being entertained by the trio. since 'love triangles' are so common she calls 'the club' boring and 'fake'. Haruno and their mom Mrs.Yukinoshita are OBVIOUSLY modeled after Cinderella's Step mother and step sisters. even though there's only one 'blood sister' the parallels are obvious.

3 Yui and Hachiman have the 'romance'. Yukinon and Hachiman ONLY have confrontational arguments and he defers to her as 'the club leader'. even Hachi comments before he starts the 'Elect Iroha Scheme' ; "How many times have I ever contradicted Yukinoshita or gone against her wishes?" if you try the old 'love=hate' and 'you only fight with the ones you love' arguments you're wrong. Yui gives Hachiman more grief than you give her credit for. what present does Hachiman give Yui for her 'mistaken birthday'? a collar for her dog Sable, that dog is what connects the two of them. what gift does he give Yukinon for her birthday? a pair of blue-light blocking reading glasses because she fiddles with her laptop alot. that gift shows NO CONNECTION between the two characters. it only shows Hachiman's high level of observation powers.

4 Hachiman knows something that Haruno and Mrs. Yukinoshita have made him realize about Yukinon. she's a follower. she models herself after the strongest person in her life at the time. Yukinon trailed after her 'big sis' in everything for over a decade. Mrs. Yukinoshita ruled their family with an iron fist and even Yukinon herself said "I was merely the good little girl that went along with everything I was told to do." the anime screws up several things with Yukinon's past, including when she went to school with Hayato as well as when she went 'overseas for school'. Yukinon mentions being bullied with having to take her recorder home every day and her 'outside shoes' being hidden 40 something times. she also goes on to mention 'a group of girls who tried to take me down, but they couldn't improve themselves enough to beat me.' the shoes and recorder OBVIOUSLY happened in Japan because nowhere else do i know of where bullying of that type happens. so the 'group of girls' had to happen while Yukinon was overseas. now, it isn't mentioned if Haruno was educated overseas but the Yukinoshita parents OBVIOUSLY treated their three years younger daughter different. if the family traveled overseas too? i doubt it, it was probably a boarding school. Yukinon mentions 'her father's company' so i'm guessing his family's business. so MAYBE he worked overseas and took his family... but if he's been in the Prefectural Electorate? no. he's stayed in Japan for MANY years. if Mrs. Yukinoshita left? no. BIG political no no even in Japan. the 'happily married political couple' is still a thing in Japan as well. so i'm pretty much 100% sure Yukinon went to boarding school for middle school and learned a little more independence. the Yukinoshita family is obviously letting Yukinon live alone. would they have suggested this on their own? maybe. maybe Yukinon wanted it for herself? remember Mrs. Yukinoshita and her self-righteous speech in-front of Yukinon's apartment building facing the trio after the 'Valentine's Chocolate Class Event'? 'i've indulged you long enough' and so on? so maybe the Yukinoshita parents are trying to foster more independence with their daughter. but, she's going liberal arts for school year 3. just like Hachiman and Yui.

5 i do agree with you on the Hachiman wanting Yukinon to decide for herself. like i said in 4. he's found out she's a follower. Yui is now the strongest person in Yukinon's life and she's modeling herself too much on Yui.

i guess we'll see what happens with everything in S3. but i DO NOT think Yui is willing to give Hachiman to Yukinon as a boyfriend.

1. I never said that Hachiman knew that there was a love triangle. Yui on the other hand while dumb and blunt at times understands relationships and social groups much better than any of the other group members. Of course she notices the tension between all of the group members. Why do you think that she called the group date? She obviously knew tension was there. This time it was about their feelings, their feelings for each other.
2. True it is not mentioned specifically. However, Haruno is insanely intelligent. She can obviously put pieces of a puzzle together quickly. Remember the carnival/firework show? Yui and Hikigaya are seen together by Haruno. Before this, she saw Hikigaya and Yukino together. Obviously she is going to think something is up if she sees that Hikigaya is going on "dates" with two girls that just so happen to be in the same friend group. There are also instances where Haruno is pushing Yukino forward to start a relationship with Hikigaya because she knows there is competition.
3. Yui and Haruno honestly don't have much. Their romantic relationship is by far the most superficial. Once again the firework scene. When Yui is talking to her friends, Hikigaya just stands there. Yui doesn't bother to even defend Hikigaya when her friends are making fun of him. He just stands there and takes it. What type of relationship is it where the girlfriends friends just bully the s/o? However Yukino has always been there. Yukino has protected Hikigaya on multiple occasions, from Tobe, after the incident on the roof, in the classroom. There are plenty of instances where Yukino has stood up for Hikigaya when Yui hasn't. Romantically wise, there have been really no moments between Hikigaya and Yui. However for Yukino and Hikigaya there are plenty. The camp scene when they are alone, the walk back to the hotel(whole time both are blushing), the infirmary scene where they are looking into each others eyes(blushing), the roller coaster scene. While there are occasions that Yui blushes when with HIkigaya, there are more moments with Yukino. Additionally, Yukino and Hikigaya have a much more emotional relationship than Yui and Hikigaya.
4. I don't know how I can respond to that, it didn't really have anything to do with my original comment. But I do agree with what you wrote.
P.S if you read the LN yk if yk.
Jul 7, 2020 3:46 PM

May 2009
Can someone sum up what happened in S2?
Jul 9, 2020 5:53 AM

Nov 2010
bastek66 said:
Can someone sum up what happened in S2?

Second this. It's been a while since S2 and I don't really remember much about it.
Jul 9, 2020 7:28 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
@bastek66 @Rinji-

Its been a long time I reread some stuff but, this is what happened, more or less:

- Volume 7: During the school trip, 8man, being a douche as always, confesses to Ebina Hina so that Tobe could be saved from getting rejected. This made Yukinon and Yui furious.

- Volume 8: Isshiki Iroha gets introduced. She wanted to withdraw from the StuCo election and made a request to Service Club. Yukinon takes on the request solo and tells 8man and Yui to shoo away. Yukinon decides to run for the presidency herself. Even Yui decides to run for the presidency herself since no Yukinon meant no Service Club. 8man, being a manipulative bitch, is able to manipulate Irohasu into not withdrawing her candidacy.

- Volume 9: Autistic 8man, for the first time, is able to lay open his own feelings and confronts both the girls by telling them he was not looking for something superficial, he wanted something "genuine" out of their relationship. Both girls back down and Iroha becomes the President of StuCo.

- Volume 10: Time to make a decision between science/liberal arts. Surprisingly, Yukinon chooses Liberal Arts. Coward 8man confronts Hayama Hayato face to face during the marathon, chad Hayato, very contradictory to his nature, says "I hate you", bluntly, to bitch 8man. Turns out, during childhood, Hayato was not able to "save" Yukinon and tells pathetic 8man to not make the same mistake as he did.

- Volume 11: Valentine's day. At the end of the volume, Yui forcefully makes the main trio to go on an aquarium date. Yukinon is not able to hand over her handmade cookies. Season 2/Volume 11 ends on a cliffhanger with Yukinon saying "I want to make a reques. I need both y'all's help."

"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jul 9, 2020 7:42 AM

Nov 2010
cchigu said:
@bastek66 @Rinji-

Its been a long time I reread some stuff but, this is what happened, more or less:

- Volume 7: During the school trip, 8man, being a douche as always, confesses to Ebina Hina so that Tobe could be saved from getting rejected. This made Yukinon and Yui furious.

- Volume 8: Isshiki Iroha gets introduced. She wanted to withdraw from the StuCo election and made a request to Service Club. Yukinon takes on the request solo and tells 8man and Yui to shoo away. Yukinon decides to run for the presidency herself. Even Yui decides to run for the presidency herself since no Yukinon meant no Service Club. 8man, being a manipulative bitch, is able to manipulate Irohasu into not withdrawing her candidacy.

- Volume 9: Autistic 8man, for the first time, is able to lay open his own feelings and confronts both the girls by telling them he was not looking for something superficial, he wanted something "genuine" out of their relationship. Both girls back down and Iroha becomes the President of StuCo.

- Volume 10: Time to make a decision between science/liberal arts. Surprisingly, Yukinon chooses Liberal Arts. Coward 8man confronts Hayama Hayato face to face during the marathon, chad Hayato, very contradictory to his nature, says "I hate you", bluntly, to bitch 8man. Turns out, during childhood, Hayato was not able to "save" Yukinon and tells pathetic 8man to not make the same mistake as he did.

- Volume 11: Valentine's day. At the end of the volume, Yui forcefully makes the main trio to go on an aquarium date. Yukinon is not able to hand over her handmade cookies. Season 2/Volume 11 ends on a cliffhanger with Yukinon saying "I want to make a reques. I need both y'all's help."

Appreciate the thorough recap! Loved the adjectives regarding Hachiman lmao.
Jul 9, 2020 7:54 AM
May 2018
Yeah right, as if I didn't understand everything after re-watching it 5 times.
Jul 9, 2020 11:35 AM

Dec 2015
I just hope I can get back into it ... without having to re-watch the other 2 seasons. I think getting into season 2 back then was still possible. (Though I think I didn't remember everything and had to read up on it a bit.)

But there has been a bigger gap in between the releases of season 2 and 3.
Not gonna rewatch though. I hope it is created in a way that you can get back into it after a few episodes - as long as you remember the main chars. (And they might refer to previous events when developing them further.)
Jul 10, 2020 6:16 PM
Dec 2018

Thanks for creating this Post.
I was very much confused after watching season 2 and I couldn't understand what was going on even after watching 2-3 time (I watched it for first time last year ) and I am person that can't read between the lines.
Thank god now I understand what is going on.

And thank you too for elaborating the last episode of second season cause I was like what the hell is going on when watched that ending.
And was considering to re-watch again to understand that scene cause 3rd season is starting from that point but thanks to you I won't need it and I understand it quite well now. 👍🏼
Jul 20, 2020 6:14 PM
Feb 2017
[quote=KiliianSleipnir message=60153386][quote=progenx0 message=60142239]
25Yards said:

1 you're confused. Hachiman does NOT know about the love triangle. Yui is the only one who's shown Hachi love/affection. she even indirectly confessed to Hachiman after Iroha won the StudentCouncil Presidency. Yukinon has only shown Hachi digust, disdain, and eventually tolerance, and friendliness.

Dude what are you talking about XD
They stared each other's eyes for exact 20 seconds without breathing. I think he just doesn't want to go for it because of all the problems they already have.
Jul 20, 2020 11:27 PM
Jul 2020
This helped me a lot thank you. I kept feeling like i missed an episode or i just wasnt picking up on some of the character dynamics. Appreciate it
Jul 21, 2020 9:01 AM

Feb 2016
It might be confusing if you've actually watched 2 season. the animation, the artstyle got a lot worse (my pesonal viewpoint). I hope, at least, the plot won't disappoint.

MODERS – JUMP ON THE BOTTLE!!!

Jul 21, 2020 1:36 PM

Oct 2015
Seasons 2 ending though. oh boy.

Latest Blog: BLARE FEST 2023
Latest Review: Hyouka

Jun 24, 2022 3:26 AM
May 2022
Finally!!! I was confused why yukinoshta was angry. Like i understood her reason but it wasn't really "shown" in the episode. Now I got the reason why Hachiman said that he was the biggest liar. Took a while for me to grasp the situation. THANKS!!
Nov 15, 2022 9:30 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
RegulusX said:
I'm glad I understand it without reading the source material. It was pretty easy to understand if you focus on the subtitles and comprehend their thoughts

I read the source material and even I couldnt understand it all, no joke, the dialogue there complicates everything way more than one would first think, and then it is not easily the best LN to binge read all volumes, so if enough time passes between volumes, you will forgot some nuances.
Even after reading the specific volumes, I had never gotten clear answers for either 1 or 2 points of the OP, this cleared a lot.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cchigu - Sep 24, 2020

488 by venbals »»
Apr 5, 11:45 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cchigu - Sep 17, 2020

421 by venbals »»
Apr 5, 11:16 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

cchigu - Aug 27, 2020

214 by venbals »»
Apr 5, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cchigu - Aug 13, 2020

189 by venbals »»
Apr 1, 12:33 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cchigu - Jul 30, 2020

283 by venbals »»
Mar 31, 11:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.