Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 29, 2020 3:06 AM

Jul 2014
Haruo still needs to work on understanding emotions but it's alright because he did the right thing at the end and he's still young. Man, I'm on the verge of crying after this one.

I do appreciate the last bit of dialogue between Hidaka and Haruo. I felt if Hidaka did not make an appearance in this episode, I would have felt so empty. I'm glad they got some kind of closure, though it did hurt me so bad because I really grew to like Hidaka as a character. Unrequited love is painful, Haruo never saw Hidaka that way, but she still always pursued him even knowing that. I couldn't help but cheer for her.

Overall, I came into this series with no expectations but came out of it with no regrets. A touching story about young love with video games as the main focus, truly a wholesome combination.
Nov 23, 2020 2:10 AM
May 2009
So much feels for a girl who literally never speaks.
despite its focus on Arcade and video games, this show really never disappoints with the romance and comedy.
Can't wait for season 3.
Dec 30, 2020 10:05 PM
Apr 2019
Damn. Feels before 2021 will come. Gonna read High Score Girl Dash to fill the void.
Jan 7, 2021 1:56 PM
Dec 2020
Im a bit disappointed about the ending..
Feb 9, 2021 10:58 PM
Oct 2014
Should have been with hidaka.....
Feb 26, 2021 6:30 AM
Apr 2020
Wow.. I already predicted and said to myself that this will end with the usual " airplane scene where the confession will happen years later after he/she comes back to his/her " something like that but IT'S NOT!

9/10 for this finale

I'm glad that ended pretty well. Atleast this freakin boy finally said it after she leaves. Although I will be really glad if they continue to atleast one last OVA where the two can meet again. But nonetheless, I'm satisfied enough with that ending :)
Apr 17, 2021 2:19 AM

Jul 2016
Meh. Didn't like the ending nor the series overall, but I did enjoy the scenes where they played retro video games, and the sound and music were good too. Although, the games they played in the first part of the anime were more interesting.

Both Haruo and Ono (who never speaks for no reason) were very annoying and every other character was either boring or obnoxious especially Haruo's mom. Hidaka was decent I guess. And the worst part, I don't remember the anime making me even smile once with its comedy. EDIT: almost forgot to mention I hated the CGI animation and ugly character faces/expressions.

4/10 mediocre but had its redeeming points. Season 1 was better IMO.
INU4SH4Apr 17, 2021 2:28 AM
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Apr 18, 2021 11:51 PM
Jul 2015
Overall, one of the best anime series I've watched. I think this getting me by surprise is one factor that I highly regard this anime now. I watched this when I'm looking for a fun anime like Uzaki-chan (something like dopamine anime), then what I've got is this, an anime that has fun, romance, seinen, drama, slice of life, games, perplexingly almost everything!
The ending was good! It's explosive 🧨

Haruo expressed his feelings the best way possible. It was fully accepted by Oono :)
He said he'll get a passport and follow her. He'll find her and the ring so he can marry her. Then Oono flew to Los Angeles.

I think we can all agree that even if it is an open ending, the game characters assure them and us that they'll fight for the Best Ending. Wherein Haruo willl be able to fulfill his promise. GOOD ENDING!!!
Apr 19, 2021 12:17 AM
Jul 2015
Just want to add. Though this is a good ending, there's a better way to end this, imo.
At the day of competition between Haruo and Oono, even if Haruo loses, he confessed to Oono, considering the day left before Oono flew to L.A.
Oono accepts it and they're officially on since they both know they loved each other.
The problem now is the trip to L.A. Oono will retaliate and get support from the people on their mansion, especially her sister.
She won't go to overseas and continue studying in Japan with Haruo. They'll both be successful in their careers and get married.
As for Hidaka, The High Score Girl manga sequel is focused on her. I also wanted a good ending for her though but with the turn of events, I don't know how.
Jun 3, 2021 12:34 PM

Feb 2018
Damn, this got good by the end.

The music was greatly climatic, it tied some loose ends like Haruo recognizing he steped on Hidaka's feelings, Haruo actually speaking his feelings and even if they were to split he'll still follow through.

What I didn't like is that they hinted before Hidaka would also compete in the tournament or would make a come-back as a gamer.

The battle had the emotion of a EVO-fight, sweet.
Feb 24, 2022 5:28 AM

Aug 2013
A big step up in OST quality this season. I expected her to finally say something after so many episodes but it didn't happen
yamenFeb 24, 2022 11:40 AM
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
May 2, 2022 1:21 AM
Feb 2022
i binged every episode over two days because i honestly kept looking forward to each one. great series even tho mc is annoying and repetitive as hell and best girl loses

season one was better but still a “hi score” for this one
May 21, 2022 5:48 PM

Mar 2013
I really love the ending! 🥰
Especially the game characters' voices suggestions to Haruho.
This has been such a wonderful story.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
May 24, 2022 7:16 PM

Aug 2017
And so it ends. Nice while it lasted

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Jun 9, 2022 1:02 PM

Aug 2018
Just finished my first re-watch of this series and I enjoyed it more the second time around. I bumped the score up one point. Probably helped not having to wait for the second season to actually be made.

Overall the quality of this show is surprising. I do not usually notice such things but the direction is spot on. that scene when Hidaka tried to seduce Haruho deserves special mention. Oh, and that scene when Guile disappears into the sunset as if to signal that Hauho finally became one with the manly voice deep inside his subconscious. Good stuff!

One thing that would have made the entire experience better. Just one tiny little detail I am shocked they did not include: If Oono had talked...just once. Right there at the very end. Imagine after all the silence finally hearing her say the word "yes" to Haruho's proposal. That would have been amazing.

PS: Oono best girl. Sorry Hidaka.
epidemia78Jun 9, 2022 1:07 PM
Jun 18, 2022 6:11 PM

Jul 2013
Can't believe it took me this long to watch this series. What I thought was going to simply be an arcade nostalgia show turned out to be the best teen romance anime I've ever seen.
Jun 26, 2022 12:22 AM
Jun 2022
The finale was just a repeat of the previous time she drop him off with no warning but this time she decided to return him the ring he gave her. No one in their right mind would run after her after this repeat specially since he was always the one pushing and building his life around her. OOno just came out cold and selfish, prefering to forget and destroy all ties to him so she could handle it better. Then the last convo they have just the opposite with him AGAIN doing all the work. Talk about being done dirty. The entire anime was great except for the last 10 or so minutes of this episode.
Aug 4, 2022 1:20 AM

Dec 2009
Disappointing Ending. 4/10.

Overall, 5/10.
As a Gamer who isn't an arcade enthusiast or a fighting game fanatic, I didn't have any bias to the whole retro arcade video games involved in the story.
Visually and Audibly I have to state that the quality is greatly impressive in how they utilized licensed video games, not only to display gameplay, but also using the game characters as characters.

Comedic-wise, all-around, it's a little odd with the supernatural element which breaks the firmness of where this story lies. In a normal world, or a supernatural world.
It feels like a realistic normal world, but then the use of having the game character literally hit or speak to the protagonists, as well as aid him to reach the airport in the end at supernatural speed feels very out of place in a realistic setting.

The use of the game characters motivating, consoling or giving any insight to the main characters is interesting, somewhat funny, yet kinda odd.
Another flaw and disappointment is how surprsingly throughout the whole story ... Akira never ever speaks a word.
I would have hoped that throughout 3-5 years after primary school we would have received the satisfaction of her finally speaking something meaningful after never being heard from all the unknown candid emotions she has that she never speaks.
Unfortunately, the Mangaka chose to never do so which is a shame.

I guess for that originality... having her family, butler and Haruo, etc. speak for her was decently done.
My problem with this story, partly from personal taste is how love is forced through a game competition, Haruo's flaws and the love triangle itself. It's all stupid.

Even though I'm a sucker for heroine's who have a crush on the male protagonist, as usual I stayed loyal to rooting for Akira, albeit adoring her too much from the start, but... I have to admit that later on, even though I originally didn't like Koharu's dismissive personality before she fell in love, I came to like her more for her strong love, how sweet she is and moreso after she lusted for Haruo and aggressively tried to throw herself onto him with sex.

Some of the elements of the love triangle are good and entertaining.
Her scene of flirting him was surprisingly arousing, and her determination was thrilling, while being a use to force the main pairing to act on themselves,
but unfortunately the romance plot only progresses through (from a teenager) the strange childish idea to win a game against the wanted partner. First from Koharu to win and start dating. Followed by Haruo to win and confess. ... It's idiotic. Just confess.
Koharu's perseverance is oddly irrational as well. We know she'll never win, but she can't help herself but love him, so she tries, until she quits... after losing a game. Stupid.

Worse is how dense and in denial Haruo is to love, even with the aggressiveness from Koharu against Akira, while being fully aware (but in denial) that he has romantic feelings for Akira and that Koharu is fighting against Akira.
The rest of the characters are funny in their own silly way even though none are great characters. The mother, Akira's older sister Makoto, Doi and Chihiro are hilarious at times and serve their purpose somewhat decently to motivate or help Haruo to realize.
Haruo's friend Miyao was the one who had the strongest impact to change Haruo, but as underutilized he was and how dumb Haruo is, he should have been used better to make Haruo realize because he's not that dumb and dense-wise wasn't established as a logical idiot to have this bad of a plot to progress the romance to succession.

So, with all these flaws and not loving the focus on gaming competition enveloping the story's plot, it's bad for its flaws.
Including how easy it was for the tutor to suddenly (without any hints) change her mind and allow Akira to have some freedom.
... The open-ending of never knowing how they'll get back together after she moves out to LA is worse, but at the very least, the romance of the main pairing itself was sweet for the most part.

Akira herself is a good character but also lost a lot of potential in how complex her origin is.
A daughter who follows her parent's will to be perfect in grades, sports, arts, etc. by studying and practicing everyday without any distractions, including the 90's mentality of gaming being a unproductive loser/delinquent activity which is what saved her as an escapism of enjoyment, 3 weeks before she met Haruo.
Her being naturally talented to instantly be an elite gamer from a day to a few weeks is ridiculous, but whatever.

Her struggle and frustration, especially the moment where she is first about to move out and cries in Haruo's arms is bittersweet.
Her abusiveness is funny and cute when she's scared or hiding her embarassement, but it's a little execessive whenever she injures his face.
I would have loved a backstory to that character of her and where that violence stems from, to then her whole restricted feelings, including to being mute and eventually be rewarded to hear her speak for the first time and awe and finally listen what she has to say, but... unfortunately that never fucking happened. That complexity would have been fascinating to experience being fully exposed.

Of course, as well as the damn parents who are the whole cause of this, and how Makoto's rebeliousness affected all of this, and why Akira is not fully rebelling for her own desires. Damn shame.
Aug 20, 2022 9:17 AM

Aug 2008
After rewatching this I'm seeing the ending in new light. Feel much more positive about what will come after the conclusion, that the two will find their way to each other in the future. Being pessimistic is no way to react to that scene at the airport even if optimism in this regard is not as "realistic". Its a story so I can feel positive! Will bump this season up to the 8 I gave the rest of the series.

I do feel bad for Hidaka, even more now. Tried so hard to not succeed only to fail against someone who doesn't even speak to Yaguchi, still managed to wiggle into his heart.

Strange that Oono has a voice actress listed, for what? She sighs a few times, grunts?
Sep 5, 2022 1:59 AM
Jan 2020
HIDAKAAAAAAAA, this shit was better than I expected. But is that really it? Like they have a lot of room to let's say to take place in college instead next. I hate open endings, but that confession scene was really damn top tier.
Sep 13, 2022 9:48 AM
Jul 2020
This is the only anime finale that hit me to the core. For some reason the confession scene got me teary eyed probably someone's cutting onions nearby. Character development's great.
Jan 29, 2023 1:44 AM
Sep 2018
Nyterage said:
great ending to a great series. for those unaware though, a sequel manga will be starting on December 25th 2019, called High Score Girl DASH, staring Hidika, now a middle school teacher at nearly 30 years old. I would expect Ono and Haruo to at least make some appearances (hopefully now married).
any chance of new seasons!
Jan 29, 2023 9:54 PM
Sep 2018
Hidaka is clearly the better choice
Feb 20, 2023 7:40 PM

Jan 2011
Didn't mean to take so long to get around to this. I wanted to wait a bit after finishing the manga, but didn't think it'd take me 3 years. Really reminded me of what I love about this series, and has given me some motivation to finally get around to that spinoff and two extra oneshots. Even a bit tempted to read it all over again, but I think I'll wait a bit longer for that.
Apr 5, 2023 3:42 PM
Dec 2021
Great anime. Hope there is another season.
Jun 6, 2023 7:33 AM

Oct 2022
I'm glad Haruo finally confessed his feelings. Him and Oono hugging each other and crying was sweet. I was crying with them... 

Still, I really hoped this show would have a more satisfying conclusion. I kept waiting for a post credits epilogue or something... and there was nothing. As others have mentioned, this final cour being a mere 9 episodes felt weird/too short. I really would have liked to know what happens to Haruo and Oono in the future. Like, can they make the long distance thing work? Do they eventually get married?? IDK! 

All that said, this was a cute little show and I'm glad I watched it. Some aspects really did not work for me, namely the 'comedy,' but I liked the characters for the most part and the romantic plotlines were written well enough to keep me invested. Oono is an oddball, but I can see why Haruo chose her. They really seem to love each other and they're adorable as a nerdy gamer couple. 

P.S. Guile is best girl. 
ShmubmJun 6, 2023 7:38 AM
Jun 15, 2023 6:31 PM

Dec 2022
Going to miss this show
Nov 14, 2023 7:50 PM

Dec 2022
What's with all the supernatural miracles that happened in this episode? They were blocking traffic, disrupting flights and creating powerful gales. This series hadn't really set a precedent for it prior to this.

Shaded Horizon

Jan 26, 10:02 PM

Sep 2018
That was so much better than the first season, a moving coming of age story and a love polygon done very well.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2019

41 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:35 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2019

41 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:02 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 15, 2019

36 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 4:26 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2019

78 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 3:48 PM

Poll: » High Score Girl II Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2019

29 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 14, 2023 3:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.