Forum Settings
Forums

Is piracy killing or helping the anime industry?

New
Dec 19, 2019 6:55 AM
Dec 2019
Is piracy killing or helping the anime industry?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 19, 2019 7:10 AM
Jul 2018
I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but many people who are claim that piracy actually has a positive effect for both producers and consumers. A healthy amount forces legal services to improve. I don't condone it, but pirating anime is absolutely not killing the industry.
Dec 19, 2019 7:18 AM

Apr 2015
In no way is it at least helping. You'd be living in delusion, if you think piracy is good and what creators want.
Dec 19, 2019 7:32 AM

Feb 2016
Neither. Current streaming service is atrocious as some anime are exclusive for certain platforms and of course, not every good anime will be on one site. It would help if at least these services get old anime on their sites, but Afaik, only netflix has done this.

Let's compare it to piracy in games, in my case, I use to pirate first to either A: See if it runs or B: If I end up liking it. Then I buy the game, same would apply if I get the chance to buy the BD for an Anime I really liked (that, or official merchandise), which, in my opinion, helps way better than paying a monthly sub for a streaming service that doens't have much to offer.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Dec 19, 2019 7:34 AM
Jul 2018
Piracy has helped popularize anime and manga in the west, but today it gets in the way of the industry, since they finally realized that we also have money to spend.
Dec 19, 2019 7:36 AM

Jan 2013
Neither. It isn't really helpful, but there is little to no harm in it.

After all, if services aren't interested in licensing a show for certain areas, there's little to no way to watch it legally. And no, importing untranslated 60 $ blu-ray boxes that contain 2 episodes each isn't a viable way for most people to watch a show.
Dec 19, 2019 7:41 AM

Jul 2016

Reminds me of this video.
Dec 19, 2019 9:51 AM

Feb 2010
I can only speak for myself, but I have a pretty big collection of anime and without piracy I wouldn't have bought any of them.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 19, 2019 9:53 AM

Jan 2009
its helping since piracy is free advertisement right? while look at the yearly profit of the anime industry its still growing

Japan's Anime Market Hits Record High for 6th Consecutive Year
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-11-29/japan-anime-market-hits-record-high-for-6th-consecutive-year/.153817

Dec 19, 2019 10:05 AM

May 2009
Ah, the eternal debate.

My usual thought is that piracy helps more/hurts less those things that are lesser-known and hurts more/helps less those things that are well-known.

Licensing adds another wrinkle to this.

But IIRC I've heard that anime franchises make more of their money from merch sales these days than they used to, anyway.

Pullman said:
I can only speak for myself, but I have a pretty big collection of anime and without piracy I wouldn't have bought any of them.
I'm pretty sure this is a very common story.

Particularly for anyone who's gotten into anime from watching fansubs.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 19, 2019 10:45 AM

Jul 2019
As long as people keep buying those sweet figures and dakimakura then all is good.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Dec 19, 2019 10:47 AM

Jan 2015
Well it’s quite a controversial topic. Let’s say that it’s thanks to piracy that anime and manga got popular in the west in the first place, but at the same time it’s still piracy so...yeah no good.
Dec 19, 2019 11:03 AM

Apr 2016
Piracy is good and it helps the industry cuz more people will watch anime and later buy dvd/BD or merchandise.
Dec 19, 2019 11:08 AM

Oct 2018
The problem is the profit structure of the industry, not piracy.
Dec 19, 2019 11:09 AM

Jan 2015
Too many people have legal services. That's why crunchyroll is a shitty site because they feel no need to improve. You know it's bad when free, illegal sites have features that a paid one doesn't.
Dec 19, 2019 11:11 AM

Nov 2007
As someone who has seen the industry grow over 20 years and explode into the entertainment scenario, I can say piracy actually helped anime to become popular outside Japan.

If it were not made into a popular mode of entertainment, Netflix wouldn't have titles like VEG, Chuunibyou or GuP. Major international flights wouldn't have a dedicated section for anime only - and even have them as part of their recommendations (Emirates had Love Live Sunshine Over The Rainbow as their Top 10 recommendations on board the flight for several weeks out of hundreds of choices for an example).

Several flights also by now featured Kimi no Na wa, Koe no Katachi, Bakemono no Ko, Mirai no Mirai, Summer Wars, Sakasama no Patema (just from the flights I used in the past few years).

If it weren't for piracy, these shows would never reach the outside world/platforms. Anime would be limited to Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach and the likes and Ghibli movies only.

The biggest platform outside Japan i.e. CR is also the illegimate child of piracy.

Piracy will remain unless anime gets better and more affordable platforms without region restrictions.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 19, 2019 11:25 AM

May 2016
The only problem that can cause if if the user who pirates doesn't latter buy anything of the anime they like. But that isn't normally the case as when you love a show you want to have it in BD, have merchandise... At least for me it works this way.

If you don't pirate and you watch something that turns out to be atrocious, that means you are going to spend money on something you don't want to. By pirating yoy select to where you want to spend money. I, for example, wouldn't even dare to buy something Mirai Nikki-related and it would be shameful for me if I spend a single cent on it by watching it legally. (I just don't like MN, but I don't care if you do, it's just an example don't get offended people on the internet)

So normally, it should help, as you don't have the feeling you are gonna waste money you can try as many anime as you want; so that means finding more favorites, which means spensing money on it which means profit on the creators' part. However, for something popular but widely disliked/just not loved it would cause much problems.
Dec 19, 2019 11:29 AM

Jan 2019
PIracy is helping because if you watch anime through a pirated website, you might recommend anime to someone else and more people know about it. The more people know about anime, the likelier that people will support the industry by buying merch, Manga/LN, animovies on blu-ray, go to conventions, etc.
Dec 19, 2019 11:30 AM
Jul 2017
Piracy undoubtebly helped the industry grow to it's current size, and any industry would sacrify some money for that kind of growth (so future profit).
But now that the growth has stagnated the benifit is not that clear anymore (maybe ever detrimental) but its always a question of what the result of banning piracy will be, will the consumers move on to some different entertainment or will they start paying for it. This question is almost always a combination of ease and cost. Anime doesn't really have an easy legal way to watch, and thus piracy is kind of the least bad thing for the industry in the west right now. Now that being said pirates still generate money for the industry (promoting stuff, buying merch) but its deffinitely way less compared to a legal easy way to whatch
Dec 19, 2019 11:33 AM

Aug 2017
Piracy helped anime industry and lot. And this is a fact, not an opinion.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 19, 2019 11:46 AM
Nov 2019
shanimebib said:
As someone who has seen the industry grow over 20 years and explode into the entertainment scenario, I can say piracy actually helped anime to become popular outside Japan.

If it were not made into a popular mode of entertainment, Netflix wouldn't have titles like VEG, Chuunibyou or GuP. Major international flights wouldn't have a dedicated section for anime only - and even have them as part of their recommendations (Emirates had Love Live Sunshine Over The Rainbow as their Top 10 recommendations on board the flight for several weeks out of hundreds of choices for an example).

Several flights also by now featured Kimi no Na wa, Koe no Katachi, Bakemono no Ko, Mirai no Mirai, Summer Wars, Sakasama no Patema (just from the flights I used in the past few years).

If it weren't for piracy, these shows would never reach the outside world/platforms. Anime would be limited to Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach and the likes and Ghibli movies only.

The biggest platform outside Japan i.e. CR is also the illegimate child of piracy.

Piracy will remain unless anime gets better and more affordable platforms without region restrictions.

You are absolutely right, the piracy is a service problem, if it isnt cheap and has low quality, then piracy existence is guaranted to happens to that service(anime streaming)!
Buy Bitcoins and others cryptos(like Monero), the great crisis is coming!
Also don't forget, taxation is theft!
Dec 19, 2019 11:51 AM
~Watching Anime

Oct 2018
I would watch every anime legally if it were possible to do so. A lot of the old, or obscure anime can't be had any other way than 'file-sharing' sites. I won't try to justify lack of self-control and integrity. I have watched old, obscure anime.

I don't think piracy helps the industry when there are multiple legitimate ways to watch an anime. It may not hurt it when there isn't.
Have suspicions, not faith.
Dec 19, 2019 12:01 PM

Nov 2007
Also, we tend to forget that anime in Japan is enjoyed by people from a wider age group which means the people with ability to spend money is bigger. You cannot say the same for outside Japan so without letting the youth experience the various types of anime, you cannot create lasting fans. Even many fans I knew have moved on over time.

I have spent money only on stuff that I love. I wouldn't do the same for stuff that I liked let alone just to try (without piracy). Gunplas are pretty expensive hobby. And of course paying more than twice on shipment of japanese novels are killers. And I own digital volumes of many manga because of the anime. I go and spend even if they are illegally available because you would want to differentiate between things that you love and the things that you like. I am pretty sure that's how it works. I wouldn't be the fan I am today if I were not given the chance to experience a wider variety of anime. I think it worked for my generation. Whether it would work for the current or future generations is up for debate, however.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 19, 2019 12:09 PM
Apr 2016
I believe it is benefiting the industry, because more people are widely allowed to enjoy and contemplate on their art, and for more "art"-ful series, like serious statements, philosophical works or social critique, being widely known is surely the most important thing. Whether it ultimately puts more or less money in the pockets of creators in the industry is another question altogether.
quote=konkelo message=58832377]In no way is it at least helping. You'd be living in delusion, if you think piracy is good and what creators want.[/quote]
What creators want and what is beneficial to them can be two different things, as per common sense. If you say it is a delusion you should provide your strong, infallible arguments why, because independent research from developed world suggests it does benefit the creators. At least gaming piracy. If you have knowledge on this topic as strong as your claims are, surely you will share it with us.
Nurguburu said:
Piracy helped anime industry and lot. And this is a fact, not an opinion.

Being left without a good chunk of their just income surely does not make people more enthusiastic when working in the industry. Recently, one insidious but an animation studio nevertheless filed for bankruptcy, no data on how piracy affected it though. As per common sense, the more money people get the more they will be able to spend on their future projects. If you have knowledge on this topic as strong as your claims are, surely you will share it with us.
Daniel_NaumovDec 19, 2019 12:14 PM
Re:formed
Dec 19, 2019 12:39 PM

Oct 2017
"Why should we care?" is a better question.

The health of the anime "industry" that people like to talk about so much just serves to line the pockets of CEOs, shareholders and executives. All the foreign investment has done nothing to improve the lives of the actual talent - the artists who put real passion in to making anime.

I mean sure if all one cares about is animation quality then having more money means they can hire more people that will be treated just as badly. But if one cares about anime as art then they should be more interested in seeing the industry shrink so that there are less big money investors that only want to water down the content and cater to the masses.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Dec 19, 2019 2:20 PM

Apr 2015
Daniel_Naumov said:
konkelo said:
In no way is it at least helping. You'd be living in delusion, if you think piracy is good and what creators want.

What creators want and what is beneficial to them can be two different things, as per common sense. If you say it is a delusion you should provide your strong, infallible arguments why, because independent research from developed world suggests it does benefit the creators. At least gaming piracy. If you have knowledge on this topic as strong as your claims are, surely you will share it with us.

Let me think for a sec, would I rather get money for my work or rather that people internationally knew my work... I pick money.

Nah I'm not saying my "hot" take is some strong argument, it is basically what any person generally feels if their their work gets distributed illegally since a) you lose money b) you can't control where your work gets published and what gets associated with it. Problem wouldn't really be a thing if people actually decide to also support financially those creators, but it is only a hopeful thinking it is the case for most. We can all talk how it is impossible to get any unlicensed shows/series, but truth is we don't even need to, it is just entertainment nothing crucial in our lives. Beside when pirating works we make it easier for those who could get those legally to just switch to illegal option, why should they need to pay when others don't? Regardless of my feelings people working in manga industry have voiced quite many times their problem with piracy. I have hard time believing same case wouldn't be a thing with anime industry.

Saying all that however I am no different from your average citizen who knows how to use computer, so I'm no Jesus Christ. We can discuss how piracy has helped Western animanga community especially, but was there ever need for it to even exist in the first place is another thing (beside western animanga fandom in the 80's pretty much was able to get legally their dose of Japanese cartoons and comics). Remember to share your own independent research from the developed World, I am curious.
konkeloDec 19, 2019 2:26 PM
Dec 19, 2019 2:22 PM

Jun 2015
It's definitely helping the industry because most people that get into anime and watch anime do so on illegal websites and most "legal" sites don't even send that much of the profits off to the actual publishers. It's more from the merch that people buy after becoming anime fans that generates income for the industry rather than the anime itself. Those fans wouldn't exist if not for piracy.
Read Toriko!
Dec 19, 2019 2:27 PM

Jun 2017
YossaRedMage said:
"Why should we care?" is a better question.

The health of the anime "industry" that people like to talk about so much just serves to line the pockets of CEOs, shareholders and executives. All the foreign investment has done nothing to improve the lives of the actual talent - the artists who put real passion in to making anime.

I mean sure if all one cares about is animation quality then having more money means they can hire more people that will be treated just as badly. But if one cares about anime as art then they should be more interested in seeing the industry shrink so that there are less big money investors that only want to water down the content and cater to the masses.

Most people don't care about anime as an "art" and just want to see more anime that they like to watch, that's why they care

asserting that actually shrinking the industry would be in the interest of advancing anime as an 'art' doesn't sound all that sensical to me, but i don't know enough to say otherwise so ok
Dec 19, 2019 2:40 PM

Oct 2017
I only know that if wasn't because the evil piracy I wouldn't have watched 90% of the stuff on my list, the only stuff on cable that I'm aware it's being televised right now where I live it's DB Super.

Japan doesn't care and services like CR prefer to use their funds to make High Spice Guardian instead of helping the industry.

So I can't see how piracy it's 'killing' the industry here.

Dec 19, 2019 3:16 PM
Apr 2016
konkelo said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Let me think for a sec, would I rather get money for my work or rather that people internationally knew my work... I pick money.

Nah I'm not saying my "hot" take is some strong argument, it is basically what any person generally feels if their their work gets distributed illegally since a) you lose money b) you can't control where your work gets published and what gets associated with it. Problem wouldn't really be a thing if people actually decide to also support financially those creators, but it is only a hopeful thinking it is the case for most. We can all talk how it is impossible to get any unlicensed shows/series, but truth is we don't even need to, it is just entertainment nothing crucial in our lives. Beside when pirating works we make it easier for those who could get those legally to just switch to illegal option, why should they need to pay when others don't? Regardless of my feelings people working in manga industry have voiced quite many times their problem with piracy. I have hard time believing same case wouldn't be a thing with anime industry.

Saying all that however I am no different from your average citizen who knows how to use computer, so I'm no Jesus Christ. We can discuss how piracy has helped Western animanga community especially, but was there ever need for it to even exist in the first place is another thing (beside western animanga fandom in the 80's pretty much was able to get legally their dose of Japanese cartoons and comics). Remember to share your own independent research from the developed World, I am curious.

It is up on the internet I do not even know what it is named. Some EU-sanctioned research, you can look it up if you are really interested. It is responsible for the continued lenient EU digital copyright laws, I guess.
Western anything can go terminate itself for all its worth, it is irrelevant when we are talking about Japan/Japanese.
Also about pirating influencing other people on the "why they don't and I do" level - null argument, emotional arguments are mostly null. You activated my trap card - what if most are paying, then someone who is paying can more easily, on an emotional level, slip into piracy - "there are a lot of guys paying, me pirating won't affect them Japanese much". Literally the opposite of what you said, but do not even try to look for a difference, it is how the humans work.
Also let me commend you for trying, even though on the second try only, to properly participate in a discussion. You have done something that many others would not even dare - corrected your own mistake and stood your ground as a logical, civilized man. Do the same next time as well.
Re:formed
Dec 19, 2019 3:24 PM
Sep 2019
Yo ho and a bottle a rum. Without pirating I wouldn't still even watch any at all
Dec 19, 2019 3:30 PM

Feb 2017
I wouldn't say it's helping the industry, but I want to call it a consequence from a very bad planning from those who are in charge of distributing and licensing the series and all the merchandising. Let's say, most of the "legal" services like Crunchyroll and/or Netflix, they only had popular series, instead of having all the series (yeah, it may sound ridiculous), you need to find it on other streaming services or maybe you cannot find it anywhere "legally", because they couldn't acquire the rights from the author/company or they refuse to lend the rights.

In other words, places like Crunchyroll, Netflix, Amazon Prime or other services doesn't have any series that we're looking for, or they're just airing the ongoing and/or the most popular animes, and sometimes (at least, in my case) we're not interested on them or seeking for something else... It feels that, as consumers, we are limited in choices, instead; piracy gives anyone the freedom to pick anything you want to see, from the most recent releases, to the 2000's, 90's or backwards... Again, it is a problem that the ones in charge of licensing and distribution of anime series doesn't know or they aren't interested to offer a more large selection to the main public target.

Whatever could be the reason, it's a very bad business and planning situation and they're making it so difficult for the consumers to prefer piracy over "legal" services. That also includes manga and other related stuff...
AnimaExZeroDec 19, 2019 3:33 PM
We are EVERYWHERE...
Dec 19, 2019 3:32 PM
May 2017
The most profitable product of anime industry is the mercha. And pirating anime it's like publicity for the merchandise. (Of course is better if you buy the br but it's going to hapend after you watch the anime and not before)
Also it helps to the occidental publisher wich anime it's best seller on their country because people watch and talk about these animes.
Pirating could kill anime just in Japan not in the rest of the world.
That is what I think about it.
Dec 19, 2019 3:37 PM

May 2018
Piracy definitely does more harm than good that's for sure.
Dec 19, 2019 3:49 PM
Jul 2018
Do recorded VHS tapes from TV count as piracy? If so, it certainly helped anime like DBZ and Sailor Moon to become popular.
Dec 19, 2019 4:39 PM

Jan 2019
In my particular case, piracy of anime has facilitated the following:

• Me spending thousands of dollars on and in Japan.
  • Me learning the Japanese language.
  • My life being irreversibly steered toward this [otherwise unlikely] international relationship.

The power and influence of a medium cannot always be measured purely in dollar signs.
Dec 20, 2019 1:32 AM

Apr 2019
Ethical and Moral! That's all I'm going to say.
Dec 20, 2019 2:54 AM

Apr 2017
piracy sucks for us but you have to suck it up because creators deserve what they're losing

anyone want to recommend me some legal anime streaming sites?
Dec 20, 2019 3:04 AM

May 2018
You know, anime industry is mainly based on the shows which are supposed to be broadcasted on TV fo free

Dec 20, 2019 3:48 AM

Feb 2018
In my opinion it's better to pirate it unless you live in Japan and have enough money to buy the DVD or Blu-Ray of all 1000 anime you plan to watch.

Dec 20, 2019 11:20 AM

Oct 2008
Its killing it, but I'll be honest in saying that I think the anime industry is in no way struggling right now. In fact for the entirety of the 2010s we have continuously gotten more anime than we can handle. Anime itself has gotten very popular in the modern world to the point where chinese, korean and american (Netflix) companies have taken imitative.

So whether I or you or a couple of thousand others illegally stream or download our anime keep doing it, no real damage will be inflicted on the industry. At least by the looks of its current state I think it will be fine for a two or three more decades.
Dec 20, 2019 11:23 AM

Jan 2009
CrunchyRoll started as a pirated streaming site btw

Fakku is the same it was a pirated site

now for manga MangaRock and MangaDex have goals of transforming from pirated to legal site
Dec 20, 2019 2:24 PM

Dec 2016
Overall piracy allows more exposure for other people that don't usually watch anime. Those same people would continue to will help with exposure or even pay for their anime.
Dec 20, 2019 2:56 PM

Sep 2014
Piracy is hurting more the industry than helping it and the industry would be in a better shape without piracy, at least as of nowadays. Some people seem to think that the world is gonna end if piracy is disappearing (figure of speech). I'm not entirely against piracy, but I'll explain why it's at least damaging the anime industry.

Piracy was necessary to bring a momentum of popularity in the world when it was needed. We all agree with that. However, this argument is no longer viable today. With how much the internet evolved and the emergence of legal platforms as well as other social media network/forum discussing anime and everything related to it. The accessibility to anime has become easier than it ever was and piracy is no longer needed for growing the industry.

The argument I see is the following: "Without piracy, I wouldn't discover my favourite anime and with the benefit of piracy, I bought some merch/Blu-ray etc. So piracy had in one way helped me to inject money into the industry."There are three reasons why I think this is not a good argument.

First it is presented as if it was the illegal platform that pushed you to do the purchase. It is true that piracy can indirectly contribute to the industry, but in reality, it is also hurting the industry by preventing people to use legal streaming site or purchasing directly the blu-ray without having recourse to the illegal platform. One good and one bad isn't doing a good because the net result is almost always negative when using illegal service.

Secondly, why I disagree with this argument is that it doesn't take into account what if piracy wasn't there to begin with. What I mean is that okay you watch anime illegally and the you buy the blu-ray, but what would you have done if piracy wasn't an option? To show that piracy is hurting the industry we have to remove the piracy and see how the industry would benefit from its absence. In this situation, Legal means would be the common method to watch anime and streaming anime and purchasing blu-ray would be common place and people wouldn't be tempted to use illegal means. In results, people would probably watch less anime, but the income of the anime industry would greatly benefit from it.

And lastly, though it's a debatable point, is that in no way the illegal platform was pushing you to help/buy merch or blu-ray to the studios. When you decide to use your precious money on it, you decided it yourself, individually. So it's not like the illegal platform injected money in the industry, it's the users around it who do it. Consequently the illegal platform has no merit to receive because it would be more benefit for the industry if piracy didn't exist. People would naturally buy anime or use legal streaming service.

I know the industry is in bad shape and it's not like paying legal service would miraculously clear all the problem they are facing, but as of today I believe it's the best option we could do. If anyone know a better solution please tell me. Of course I'm not against piracy either, it's hurting the industry, but I think it can become a good use when using intelligently. Always relying on illegal methods and pretending it's helping the industry is the worst thing to do imo. At least buy some merch or manga from times to times it's the minimum a person can do.
Dec 20, 2019 3:01 PM

May 2018
It is hurting the industry, but not as much as people are making it out to be. Anitubers like to exaggerate how bad piracy is, saying that the anime industry is about to collapse, the industry is struggling to get by and studios are losing money. Which isnt true, the industry is booming and is only getting worth more and more each year. The anitubers who like to promote the false idea that piracy is completely killing the industry are usually sponsored by crunchyroll… what a coincidence…

In the first place, anime studios dont make the majority of their money from DVDs or legal streaming services, their main income from making a show is the merchandise afterwards. Im talking all those figures, body pillows, keychains, art books and wallscrolls. If you like a series, buy its merch if you want to support them. Official merch might I add. Not from Ebay or Amazon or Wish, from sites like Amiami or Tokyo Otaku Mode that dont sell cheap bootleg fakes made in China but actual official stuff from Japan.

So what im saying is basically this:

Nubiellee said:
As long as people keep buying those sweet figures and dakimakura then all is good.
SeijatachiiiiDec 20, 2019 3:11 PM
Dec 20, 2019 3:05 PM

Oct 2015
Piracy can never help a product directly, however it can indirectly help build a consumer base.
Dec 20, 2019 3:07 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I'll stop supporting piracy whenever CR ceases existing as a business

Dec 20, 2019 3:08 PM
Jul 2018
In the Western market, it definitely helped the industry gain a footing.

However, we are now at a point where a lot of people have more than enough money to spend on legal services, but still refuse to do so out of greed.

Back when Crunchyroll was an absolutely terrible service, I was first in line to tear them a new one. But things have changed. And HiDive is even better.
There are very few valid reasons left not to allocate a minuscule part of your budget to supporting the industry.
Dec 20, 2019 3:15 PM

Jan 2009
piracy is hurting the industry but its close to expectation of the 80/20 rule of businesses that says 80% of their profit comes from just only 20% of their customers and piracy helps increase their consumer base as time goes on

so thats why you see scientific studies saying piracy boost sales like this one
Piracy increases videogame sales, according to a report for the European Commission
https://www.pcgamesn.com/eu-commission-piracy-report
Dec 20, 2019 3:17 PM

Jul 2014
It probably helped a lot in popularizing it, but I'm pretty sure it's drastically hurting it now that it is popularized.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

11 by alshu »»
17 seconds ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 22

25 by -Ryu »»
19 seconds ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 16 minutes ago

4 by Serafos »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - Yesterday

33 by alshu »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

100 by Teirayo »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.