Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 18, 2019 3:06 PM

Dec 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The blu-ray is released and raws are out. Another beautiful looking Yuasa movie, can't wait to see it in a language I understand.
LeosmileyfaceOct 14, 2020 12:49 AM
Jan 6, 2020 3:41 AM

Nov 2009
Totally worth the watch wished I had seen it on the big screen. The movie didn't fully capture my emotions but did leave me with a bittersweet feeling.
Jan 6, 2020 6:11 AM

Nov 2013
i randomly found the movie and felt like watching it (i actually thought it was the first episode of a seasonal, but then noticed the long time)

i really wasn't expecting *that* to happen , but even with that, the movie was still a lot of fun, specially the part with the 1st dates, and the last part with the building

damn the little girl part was pretty cool, no wonder he calls her a hero

i'll give it an 8, might give it a 9 later tho lol it sure was a nice way to pass the morning =D
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 6, 2020 12:06 PM

Jun 2015
Very beautiful movie in more meanings than one.
Jan 6, 2020 3:38 PM
Apr 2014
anyone care to explain the VA accents? different from most modern VA accents for sure.
Jan 6, 2020 7:17 PM
Mar 2015
The boy was able to repay his lover for saving his life when they were young by helping her escape a burning people before saying goodbye Apparently that was why he could not pass on
after he drown
Jan 6, 2020 8:38 PM
Apr 2018
I found myself singing "kimi ga wagshsjjsnahsjs" something like that. Their dates, that was so sweet. I was kinda disappointed that the girl didn't breakdown when the guy died.

Overall it was fine. Weird voice acting, but it was fine. Not Masaaki Yuasa's best film.

7/10.
Jan 7, 2020 3:09 AM

Jul 2017
This is definitely not Masaaki Yuasa's top-tier film to put it simply, but the simple aesthetics and of course, his own studio Science SARU putting the touches of the signature style we've known him for.

I'd thought that this film put too much emphasis on bonds, and don't get me wrong, if done right like Makoto Shinkai's Your Name., or even KyoAni's A Silent Voice, it can still prove to be enjoyable. The constantly repeating song is good, but placing it as the characters' bondage is both a blessing and a curse.

As is with Yuasa's work, it has heart and the experimentation is there. However, I'd dock brownie points for the story, but props for trying.

Good but not great.
KANLen09Jan 7, 2020 3:26 AM
Jan 7, 2020 4:08 AM

Aug 2014
So how did it end??
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Jan 7, 2020 7:09 AM

Jun 2015
nukebeats said:
anyone care to explain the VA accents? different from most modern VA accents for sure.
The 4 of them are actual actors (instead of traditional VAs) with none or just 1 or 2 previous roles in some anime movie. The currently airing anime from this studio also has an actress with no previous anime roles and a seiyuu making her debut, with only one of the girls being a "normal" seiyuu as an exception.

It's too much to be a coincidence, but I don't know the reason. For instance Ghibli movies in the past were known to employ a lot of first-time VAs to sound more "natural" and less anime-like, even though some of them kept working in the industry afterwards. I doubt that's the reason? But who knows, it might come out in some interview.
Jan 7, 2020 9:48 AM

Jul 2017
Kinda conflicted on this. I think as a show itself it's pretty mediocre, characters were ded and the plot was all over the place. The singing as well was dragged all over the place lmao

As a romance though, I liked it more than I thought ngl. Thought the dating montage was pretty cute and glad to see Youko getting together with Wasabi at the end. It was nice to see a romance movie with actual romance in it for a change.

Overall I'd say 6 or 5/10 for the actual movie and 8/10 for the romance aspect

RPWPA said:
So how did it end??

Hinako becomes a lifeguard and Youko and Wasabi get together lol
Jan 7, 2020 12:06 PM

Mar 2016
Chris brings me here and I gotta agree that you just gotta ride the wave and enjoy this movie. A great romance with quirky animation and a heartfelt healing journey
Jan 7, 2020 8:02 PM

Nov 2019
Leosmileyface said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The Blu-Ray is released and raws are out. Another beautiful Yuasa movie, can't wait to see it in a language I understand.

Is that LEO :D
I just finished this amazing animovie I loved it I'd rate it a 8.5/10
Jan 7, 2020 8:06 PM

Nov 2019
winddevil1 said:
i randomly found the movie and felt like watching it (i actually thought it was the first episode of a seasonal, but then noticed the long time)

i really wasn't expecting *that* to happen , but even with that, the movie was still a lot of fun, specially the part with the 1st dates, and the last part with the building

damn the little girl part was pretty cool, no wonder he calls her a hero

i'll give it an 8, might give it a 9 later tho lol it sure was a nice way to pass the morning =D

Ha I randomly found this anime too a day later I give it an 8.5/10
Jan 7, 2020 10:16 PM
Jul 2018
Was really expecting to be improved upon "lu over the wall" movie (both seem about water huh!) but instead found to be easily the worst Yuasa directed show.. Honestly during the entire movie duration my mind kept blowing away how so many wrong with this movie especially how entire story feels so scripted like the plot kinda happens wherever Hinako walks..

Another my biggest gripe were the visual were no near as stunning (or rather fun to watch) as his previous water movie and the many scenes managed to be very repetitive for mere half-an-hour movie.
removed-userJan 7, 2020 10:24 PM
Jan 7, 2020 11:48 PM

Jul 2019
Probably not the most original plot narrative I've ever seen but it was executed pretty well. Never watched any Yuasa's works so objectively I say its good. The last
surfing part felt emotional somehow. 8/10
Jan 8, 2020 1:08 AM
Oct 2015
I really like fire fighters and surfing and the animation was amazing as usual but idk the plot was kinda weak after the dude died the songg got really old quick too. 8/10 Might go lower but i'll keep it at trhat cause I did enjoy the film.
Jan 8, 2020 1:59 PM
Apr 2014
Unowen said:
nukebeats said:
The 4 of them are actual actors (instead of traditional VAs) with none or just 1 or 2 previous roles in some anime movie. The currently airing anime from this studio also has an actress with no previous anime roles and a seiyuu making her debut, with only one of the girls being a "normal" seiyuu as an exception.

It's too much to be a coincidence, but I don't know the reason. For instance Ghibli movies in the past were known to employ a lot of first-time VAs to sound more "natural" and less anime-like, even though some of them kept working in the industry afterwards. I doubt that's the reason? But who knows, it might come out in some interview.

lol i just think it's funny how "natural" feels more "weird" to me now... im weird, i guess?
Jan 9, 2020 6:43 AM
Aug 2019
Finally, get to watch another Yuasa work and damn did it feel sad idk but it left me being satisfied and sad, I thought it was gonna be a good romance anime but it hit me in the feels making me cry. T T
On another note why are the haters so quick to make reviews.

Jan 9, 2020 7:56 AM

Feb 2011
Lol sorry Yuasa fam but that was not it, that was one big BRUH finale.
generous 6/10
Jan 10, 2020 12:27 PM

May 2018
It was alright I guess. The fluid animations are great though, thanks SNAFU
Jan 11, 2020 1:27 PM

Dec 2011
nukebeats said:
Unowen said:

lol i just think it's funny how "natural" feels more "weird" to me now... im weird, i guess?

As the person who translated this, the 'naturalness' here is closer to speaking normally in Japanese. This actually made a lot of lines much harder for me to translate, as it really blurs some words and makes certain things harder to pick up for a non-native.

What we're used to hearing in anime is actually a style of very deliberate and clear enunciation that is standard for professional voice acting, so when the cast is switched to non professional voice actors/people from live action acting backgrounds it sounds quite distinct from 'regular' anime. You can kind of hear this when a more inexperienced person is cast into their first role too, though maybe in a less pronounced (hah, get it?) way.

It also really didn't help things along when I had to translate all that already rough and indistinct shouting from the firefighters, those were a hell of a pain in the ass
Jan 11, 2020 7:25 PM

Jul 2012
For me, everything was super predictable:

However, the metaphors in this movie were extremely well done like her riding her own wave, being saved and many other things that were reflected on in her life.

When the
I was close to tearing up. It was put in a good moment.

This isn't a movie for everyone but I liked it a lot, it was beautiful and simple. The visuals were pleasing as well, the music was too. I am always a fan of water-themed anime.

8/10 and worth rewatching in a few years after I forget the plot.

Also @Jaon : Thank you for your hard work translating!!
Jan 12, 2020 7:54 AM

Feb 2017
Nice movie. Was nothing really special, it was a simple movie but it did manage to make me feel stuff it tried to make me feel.
And damn, movie had gorgeous visuals.
Jan 12, 2020 7:24 PM
Apr 2014
Jaon said:
nukebeats said:

As the person who translated this, the 'naturalness' here is closer to speaking normally in Japanese. This actually made a lot of lines much harder for me to translate, as it really blurs some words and makes certain things harder to pick up for a non-native.

What we're used to hearing in anime is actually a style of very deliberate and clear enunciation that is standard for professional voice acting, so when the cast is switched to non professional voice actors/people from live action acting backgrounds it sounds quite distinct from 'regular' anime. You can kind of hear this when a more inexperienced person is cast into their first role too, though maybe in a less pronounced (hah, get it?) way.

It also really didn't help things along when I had to translate all that already rough and indistinct shouting from the firefighters, those were a hell of a pain in the ass

that's pretty interesting! by translating, you mean you help sub this movie right? thank you for your hard work! :) (if im wrong, still thank you for explaining :D)
Jan 12, 2020 10:31 PM

Dec 2011
@Mayuka @nukebeats Thanks for the kind replies!

It wasn't perfect, but I nevertheless enjoyed the movie enough that I went ahead and made English subs for it and shared them on nyaa. To tide things over at least until the official release comes out, whenever that might be.

Jan 14, 2020 3:13 AM

Jun 2015
@Jaon thanks for the job indeed. I read you did it all singlehandedly as well.

@Mayuka about the first twist, not sure if it was meant to be surprising in a shocking way though. I wouldn't even call it a spoiler. Foreshadowing these kind of things should be positive, and if you had seen the trailer beforehand they actually show that he dies which invites me to believe this. Either way knowing about it beforehand was probably helpful for my enjoyment, since I also knew it would have supernatural elements and those didn't take me by surprise.
Jan 14, 2020 3:19 AM

Jul 2016
I feel that the romance between the firefighter's sister and wasabi wasn't explored enough.I almost feel like the movie was just like oh they are together towards the end with no build up since the mjority of the run time was focusing on the main lead and her dealing with the loss of her boyfrend.That's not to mention how the plot point about Wasabi being in love with the main female lead was dropped completely.
Jan 14, 2020 3:48 AM

Jul 2012
Unowen said:

@Mayuka about the first twist, not sure if it was meant to be surprising in a shocking way though. I wouldn't even call it a spoiler. Foreshadowing these kind of things should be positive, and if you had seen the trailer beforehand they actually show that he dies which invites me to believe this. Either way knowing about it beforehand was probably helpful for my enjoyment, since I also knew it would have supernatural elements and those didn't take me by surprise.

I didn't watch the trailer nor did I read anything about this anime lol

I watched it with my mom and I was like "yeah I know he's gonna ____" and she didn't believe me so I think it's just me being used to anime tropes that led me to believe he would ____.
Jan 14, 2020 3:54 AM

Jul 2016
Mayuka said:
Unowen said:

I watched it with my mom and I was like "yeah I know he's gonna ____" and she didn't believe me so I think it's just me being used to anime tropes that led me to believe he would ____.

The trailer pretty much spoiled everything lol.I already knew about majority of the things that would transpire just by virtue of having seen the trailer beforehand.I was practically waiting for the moment his death would happen and then his soul would reappear in the water.The dance scnee with her and the dolphin blowup doll(which was pretty cool)was also shown in the trailer.
Jan 14, 2020 4:04 AM

Jul 2012
Missaliensan said:
Mayuka said:

The trailer pretty much spoiled everything lol.I already knew about majority of the things that would transpire just by virtue of having seen the trailer beforehand.I was practically waiting for the moment his death would happen and then his soul would reappear in the water.The dance scnee with her and the dolphin blowup doll(which was pretty cool)was also shown in the trailer.
it's good I didn't watch the trailer LOL it's much better to watch movies blindly and have it progress slowly than expect something

I love the artistic moments like the dancing with dolphin blowup doll!! It's such a unique take of a ghost x human thing lol
Jan 14, 2020 4:07 AM

Jul 2016
Mayuka said:
Missaliensan said:

it's good I didn't watch the trailer LOL it's much better to watch movies blindly and have it progress slowly than expect something

I love the artistic moments like the dancing with dolphin blowup doll!! It's such a unique take of a ghost x human thing lol

Well except the twist with the girl being the guy´s hero which relates to an event in the past.That one i actually didn´t see coming.It was pretty cute and wholesome that she was the one that saved him during that accident.
Jan 14, 2020 10:43 AM
Apr 2015
I loved the movie tbh. The music was great, too bad I can't find the full audio where Hinako is singing it.
Jan 16, 2020 8:37 AM

Apr 2012
Honestly, this is my first experience with Yuasa and I didn't know what I could expect from the film. In the end, it left me with the impression of something like a collaboration between Miyazaki and Shinkai, lol. Pretty naive romance, which then turns into weird fantasy and all it ends as unexpected emotional drama.

8 weird looks of characters at the camera out of 10

@Mayuka Ahahaha. It was so unexpected that I even thought at first, “er? Then what will happen next ?!”
Jan 16, 2020 4:19 PM

Sep 2011
This was sad, and beautiful. I knew what I was getting myself into, but it still hurt. It was just so wholesome and cute to see them falling in love with each other. I love how they sang that song while laughing, it felt so natural. It made it all the harder when it happened. When Minato died to save that guy. Then it got depressing, with the way he appeared in the water with the song, but no one could see him, and they couldn't touch each other. There were some funny scenes despite it all though. Like when Hinako was talking to him in the toilet. xD Then time passed, and I'm sure it wasn't easy, but she was able to accept that he had to go. That last scene, with her riding that wave down the building with him and Youko. That was amazing. But it hurts. They were happy together, he was so young, such a good guy, he had so much to give, and he was loved and appreciated by those he came across too.

At first I didn't like Youko all that much, but I love how Minato's dream of owning a cafe is going to live on thanks to her. And I love how she welcomed Hinako into their home. Showing her his room, and sharing with her memories she didn't knew about. About how much effort he put into being a better person, into helping others. And it was then that she found out that it was all thanks to her. Hinako was his hero. But he is gone, and the same wave will never wash up again. It's really depressing, but he was also able to inspire her to ride her wave like he wished. She became a lifeguard because of him, and I'm sure she is going to help a lot of people as well. Oh, and Wasabi was another good character. I teared up when Minato told him that he was proud that he was his kouhai. And that moment by the end? The message he left behind to her, without knowing that he would be gone? That was so poignant and beautiful. The way she cried moved me too. This was really good, but I still feel like I needed something more as closure, I don't know.
Jan 18, 2020 4:19 PM
Jul 2018
Had a few solid moments but the supernatural anime bullshit took me out of it. Also, Minato drowned those fire fighters because those suits are fucking heavy and not meant for swimming.
Jan 19, 2020 1:17 AM

Mar 2017
I loved everything even though it was kind of cliche.
The singing part literally made me soft; the VAs were laughing while singing and that made it even more wholesome. yep, I cried

It hurt like hell even though I knew what was going to happen (Minato dying/disappearing) after watching the trailer.

edit: 8/10
eulsJan 19, 2020 1:57 AM

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Jan 22, 2020 11:12 AM

Nov 2019
Missaliensan said:
Mayuka said:

I wish I hadn't watched that trailer. You know it's a bad trailer when it spoils just everything.

Anyways, decent movie. I was waiting for this and Weathering with you. Some wholesome and emotional moments here and there. So I'll rate it a 7/10.

Now just waiting for the Weathering with you Blu Ray to release. 😋
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Jan 26, 2020 7:16 AM

Jul 2009
AAAAAAH AAAAAAAAAAH AAAAAAAAAH STOP IT PLEASE STOP THAT FUCKING SONG AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH JESUS CHRIST

WHAT A SUCH CRAP, WTF YUASA YOU WANT COPY THE FUCKING MAKOTO??? THE HELL MAN! YOU ARE BETTER THAT THIS PIECE OF NOISE!! AAAAAAH

The worst and most noise grief theme I even seen in my life.

2/10
Jan 26, 2020 8:14 AM

Mar 2014
story is nice and simple while the fantasy aspect was creative. characters felt real. animation was nice too. definitely enjoyed watching it. seeing the romance going well early will definitely give you the idea that it wont end well lol
why am i so well drawn into time travel stories?
do i really have that many regrets?
Jan 26, 2020 4:52 PM

May 2014
Predictable, but predictable doesn't mean bad. My favourite thing Yuasa has done aside from Cat Soup that's for sure. I'm generally not a fan of his works, but that's more because he happens to adapt material i don't usually like. Really beautiful character designs and animation, plus i never got bored once.

My biggest issue was

I can't decide between a 7 or 8/10 at the moment.

FancyjasperJan 27, 2020 3:52 AM
Jan 28, 2020 11:24 AM
Nov 2019
Cute but tragic.
I liked it but it could've been a bit better.
Feb 3, 2020 10:43 AM

Dec 2014
Damn a sad end for the bitter sweet story,,,such a good film... hmmm
Feb 3, 2020 4:38 PM

May 2012
While the art and atmosphere were great, the whole story telling was just too predictable I must say.

I liked watching it but in general you already knew what was going to happen with a character once they entered the screen.

So yea storytelling apart it wasn't bad but just really lackluster.
Feb 15, 2020 8:01 AM

Apr 2009
Certainly his most predictable movie yet, but as usual directing and a tight script saved it.
A solid, if cliched romance, 7-8/10.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Feb 19, 2020 6:24 PM

May 2007
Very pretty movie, wish they did a bit less foreshadowing because it was easy to tell how the film would go from about halfway on.

8/10, not as good as Night is Short, but still a very good movie, carried by a great performance by the lead.
My anime list
Feb 19, 2020 6:34 PM
Jul 2015
a rushed first half where you don't know what's going on and a weird second half

The animation is beautiful and the fun characters make up for the stranger parts of the narrative
Feb 19, 2020 6:37 PM

May 2017
Wow... absolutely beautiful.

Sometimes the best stories aren't the ones that shoot for an intricate, mind-blowing plot.... but instead the ones that tell a meaningful, impactful tale about things people deal with in their own lives.

Dealing with grief is, well, tough. Some people take a long, long time to come to terms with the loss of a loved one, but what Ride Your Wave aims to convey is that you have to continue to live for yourself and live for the one you lost, and keep on writing your "brand new story".
Feb 19, 2020 6:42 PM

Dec 2014
Just saw it in theaters, very enjoyable movie.

The story was predictable but the execution and directing was extremely well done and carried the story even though it was quite obvious what was going to happen.

The first half was very wholesome, tons of cute and adorable moment. The song was beautiful and extremely catchy, I found myself humming it with Hinako whenever she sang it.

I kinda wanted Minato to just be her own imagination, I feel like that would've added more weight to the story as she slowly overcomes his death but the scene with her surfing down the tower was fantastic from a visual standpoint and fun in it's own right, though I kinda wish they had found a way to make something similar in a more realistic scenario than the supernatural water. Nevertheless, it was still very fun.

The scene where Hinako cries after listening to Minato's message from the tower after a year was very emotional and probably the only scene that made me get a little emotional too.

7/10, definitely worth a watch.
Feb 19, 2020 6:46 PM

May 2017
fancyjasper said:
Predictable, but predictable doesn't mean bad. My favourite thing Yuasa has done aside from Cat Soup that's for sure. I'm generally not a fan of his works, but that's more because he happens to adapt material i don't usually like. Really beautiful character designs and animation, plus i never got bored once.

My biggest issue was

I can't decide between a 7 or 8/10 at the moment.

I think I can explain this in a way that might clear up your issue.

Remember the car crash on the bridge? When Hinako started singing desperately as the car was on fire and Wasabi was holding her back? Well, we saw Minato SUPPOSEDLY jumping out of the water in his ghostly form and putting out the fire. But... that's just what Hinako [i]thoughtii/] she saw. If you rewatch that scene, you'll see that the fireman approached the car as normal and turned the hose on, putting out the fire. Even though we couldn't see it from Hinako's point of view, because she was hallucinating that Minato had put it out, the fire was actually still there.

I want to reiterate that nobody actually saw him in the water. All the times Hinako said she saw him, nobody else did. She was actually hallucinating him. The only time he actually was there was at the very end, when everyone saw him. That I think was the only "supernatural" element of the film; the rest was just her in denial, wishing desperately that he was there.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Honestly it was beautiful

Animezyon12 - Sep 14, 2021

14 by Blank-c »»
Sep 25, 2022 11:34 PM

» Does this have any love triangle aur drama?

adityasingh2705 - Jul 31, 2022

6 by Worm_Death »»
Aug 2, 2022 4:24 AM

» Trending page?

slutforhange - Aug 26, 2021

14 by Sailor-Sleep »»
Aug 31, 2021 2:55 PM

» New Yuasa Film

germane - Mar 25, 2019

13 by thelastknight101 »»
Jan 2, 2020 5:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.