Forum Settings
Forums

What if your favorite "Shonen" would be "Seinen" instead?

New
Dec 17, 2019 5:48 AM
Mar 2017
i had this thought quite a few times, how would some of my favorite Shonen Anime who despite how much i like them, seems way too goofy and childish to me(as im not a kid or teenager anymore)-would look if they were actually branded(and written) as Seinen, basically same overall plot but with the target demographic of 18+ in mind.
for example, One Piece is my all-time favorite Anime, yet despite how much i love it, i can't deny the fact that very often the humor is extremely childish and rarely amusing, or at least-took me a lot of time to get used to it being so childish so i can enjoy it a bit.
another point is Romance- i like Romance Anime, and I'm not a 10-year-old who says "yuck" to girls or 13-year-old who giggles at "boobys", i like good romance stories and Anime, yet it's very apparent how Romance is very lackluster or even non-existent in most Shonen that i like- and i really wish that wasn't the case, and that we get some actual relationships which also help for character development in these Anime(all those ships that will never sail but every1 really want them to).

so, would you have liked to see some of your favorite Shonen become Seinen? becoming more mature, more relationships, less goofiness, more graphical(gore and nudity) and so on? or you are happy with all of them(or some) exactly as they are?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 17, 2019 5:54 AM

Mar 2016
I've watched a few Naruto episodes today, so that was the first to come to mind. I would say I would not like Naruto as much if it were seinen. I like Naruto's goofiness and I feel this show just wouldn't work nearly as well as seinen.

However, I usually don't watch shounen because I do tend to prefer more mature anime. Glancing over some of the top shounen, I notice a few titles that might hold my interest more as seinen, such as Mirai Nikki, Kakegurui, and Owari no Seraph.

A part of me wonders if Death Note would be even better as a seinen, but it's already so great as it is, it's hard to imagine an alternative.
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Dec 17, 2019 5:56 AM

Jan 2010
zagan93 said:
i had this thought quite a few times, how would some of my favorite Shonen Anime who despite how much i like them, seems way too goofy and childish to me(as im not a kid or teenager anymore)-would look if they were actually branded(and written) as Seinen, basically same overall plot but with the target demographic of 18+ in mind.
for example, One Piece is my all-time favorite Anime, yet despite how much i love it, i can't deny the fact that very often the humor is extremely childish and rarely amusing, or at least-took me a lot of time to get used to it being so childish so i can enjoy it a bit.
another point is Romance- i like Romance Anime, and I'm not a 10-year-old who says "yuck" to girls or 13-year-old who giggles at "boobys", i like good romance stories and Anime, yet it's very apparent how Romance is very lackluster or even non-existent in most Shonen that i like- and i really wish that wasn't the case, and that we get some actual relationships which also help for character development in these Anime(all those ships that will never sail but every1 really want them to).

so, would you have liked to see some of your favorite Shonen become Seinen? becoming more mature, more relationships, less goofiness, more graphical(gore and nudity) and so on? or you are happy with all of them(or some) exactly as they are?

If you want characteristics of Seinen anime, why don't you watch Seinen anime?

But I got you. Shounen anime sometimes do feel childish especially as I grew older. I do wish for them to be a bit matured.
However, I don't want more relationships/romance. And nudity also not necessary.

I prefer it like this:

Shingeki no Kyojin: instead of focusing on the teens (Eren, Mikasa, Armin, etc), I'd like, maybe a spin-off, that focused more to the veterans (Erwin, Levi, Hanji, etc). Same franchise but differrent target audience. And we have adult protagonist instead of teens.

One Piece: instead of focusing on Luffy, maybe a spin-off about Shanks, or the other older pirates like White Beard Pirates or even the rest of the Worst Generation pirates. They all looks older and more mature than Straw Hat. It's hard to imagine a more mature Straw Hat, because of characters like Luffy, Usopp, Nami, and Franky. But especially Luffy.

Owari no Seraph: focus more on the veterans, like Guren and his squad, and also Shinya, Kureto, etc.

Tbh it's hard to imagine already existing shounen anime to be "changed" into more like Seinen anime. It's better to just make a spin off that take place in the future when they are older (therfore more mature), or just focus more on the adult characters instead of the teens.
CrimsonMidnightDec 17, 2019 8:55 AM
Dec 17, 2019 5:57 AM

May 2018
There is enough seinen that is practically shounen material.

Also there is seinen that is so badly written that every power fantasy iskeai harem with a total looser transformed into OP for protagonist will look like a masterpiece next to it, for example - Salaryman Kintarou.
Dec 17, 2019 6:03 AM
Apr 2016
Naruto falls under both categories. While the main-main characters are children, the story is that akin to Vinland Saga - it concerns their whole world and all the generations of it. Not just two star-crossed kids. Do not think that these definitions are absolute.

If my favourite "shounen" suddenly became a "seinen" properly, then there would be no problem. Gurren Lagann was also "shounen" until... well, someone had to grow up.
Re:formed
Dec 17, 2019 6:03 AM

Sep 2018
Jojo is already a seinen, and also act-age wouldn't change at all.
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Dec 17, 2019 6:07 AM

Mar 2019
I wonder if Fairy Tail was written with a seinen perspective then the power of friendship and fairy tail members magically avoiding death would not be a thing?

It could be more intriguing and less predictable
Dec 17, 2019 6:10 AM

Jul 2016
I'm thinking how it would work if Dragon Ball Z became a seinen.....but that would require nullifying the entire existence of dragon balls,since only then can death become permanent and hold actual weight.But at the same time i wouldn't like the idea of having my favourite characters killed off and never returning again.
Dec 17, 2019 6:14 AM

Apr 2017
i'd like to see luffy attend university and act mature.
Dec 17, 2019 6:16 AM
May 2019
aot would improve immensely if it didn't have dogshit characters like eren and mikasa.

author literally confessed eren is a terribly unrealistic dumb battle shounen MC (giants? let's fight!!!!) and that mikasa was meant to be a figurine girl for good sales.

to have erwin next to eren is a moral crime. at least armin exists, but even he has nauseating moments.
Dec 17, 2019 6:17 AM
Apr 2018
Jojo is both shounen and seinen (part 1-6 shounen,7-8 seinen)

I like old jojo style more. Now, they act too realistic, weirdness and creative stands are gone (at least not as good as part 3-6), and it is more story driven. Action scenes (stand battles) just help move the plot forward. They aren't the focus of the story now. At least that's how i feel.
Dec 17, 2019 6:21 AM
Apr 2018
Captain Tsubasa becoming Seinen helped it a little. We got some character development about some characters, plot got a little realistic and we saw less action scenes.
Dec 17, 2019 6:28 AM

Jan 2017
Waschmaschine369 said:
aot would improve immensely if it didn't have dogshit characters like eren and mikasa.

author literally confessed eren is a terribly unrealistic dumb battle shounen MC (giants? let's fight!!!!) and that mikasa was meant to be a figurine girl for good sales.

to have erwin next to eren is a moral crime. at least armin exists, but even he has nauseating moments.

Don't let the AoT fanboys hear that. It's part of their dogmatic belief-system that AoT is already Seinen.
Dec 17, 2019 6:29 AM

Oct 2014
If FMAB was seinen it would probably have less jokes about Edward being short, which would be appreciated. Seinen tend to be a lot shorter overall than shounen, though, and FMAB wouldn't really work well in the amount of time it would probably be allotted as a seinen.
Dec 17, 2019 6:34 AM
Jul 2018
I don't think SNK would be very different.

Noragami would be less goofy and I wouldn't like it as much since the goodness is the best part.

One shounen that I wish were made for more mature audiences is BNHA. I like its sprinklings of maturity, but they're few and far between.
Dec 17, 2019 6:34 AM

Jan 2017
zombie_pegasus said:
If FMAB was seinen it would probably have less jokes about Edward being short, which would be appreciated. Seinen tend to be a lot shorter overall than shounen, though, and FMAB wouldn't really work well in the amount of time it would probably be allotted as a seinen.

Yes but when we think about the fact that some people even consider Cute-Girl Shows and boring College-Comedies as mature Seinen-Shows nowadays, I would question that opinion very critically.
Dec 17, 2019 6:50 AM
Oct 2015
I would really love to see a "seinen version" of Daily Lives of High School Boys, Like 'Daily Lives of College Boys'.
Instead Grand Blue is there, so I'm fine.
Dec 17, 2019 6:55 AM

Oct 2013
Shicchi said:
zagan93 said:

But I got you. Shounen anime sometimes do feel childish especially as I grew older. I do wish for them to be a bit matured.
However, I don't want more relationships/romance. And nudity also not necessary.

I prefer it like this:

Shingeki no Kyojin: instead of focusing on the teens (Eren, Mikasa, Armin, etc), I'd like, maybe a spin-off, that focused more to the veterans. Same franchise but differrent target audience. And we have adult protagonist instead of teens.

One Piece: instead of focusing on Luffy, maybe a spin-off about Shanks, or the other older pirates like White Beard Pirates or even the rest of the Worst Generation pirates. They all looks older and more mature than Straw Hat. It's hard to imagine a more mature Straw Hat, because of characters like Luffy, Usopp, Nami, and Franky. But especially Luffy.

Owari no Seraph: focus more on the veterans, like Guren and his squad, and also Shinya, Kureto, etc.

Tbh it's hard to imagine already existing shounen anime to be "changed" into more like Seinen anime. It's better to just make a spin off that take place in the future when they are older (therfore more mature), or just focus more on the adult characters instead of the teens.

operationvalkyri said:

Noragami would be less goofy and I wouldn't like it as much since the goodness is the best part.

One shounen that I wish were made for more mature audiences is BNHA. I like its sprinklings of maturity, but they're few and far between.

This guy gets it and he is not even a manga reader. Talking about snk.

Waschmaschine369 said:

You sweet summer child....
keragammingDec 17, 2019 7:08 AM
Dec 17, 2019 6:57 AM
Jul 2018
keragamming said:
Shicchi said:

I prefer it like this:

Shingeki no Kyojin: instead of focusing on the teens (Eren, Mikasa, Armin, etc), I'd like, maybe a spin-off, that focused more to the veterans. Same franchise but differrent target audience. And we have adult protagonist instead of teens.

operationvalkyri said:

This guy gets it and he is not even a manga reader.
Girl*

-------------------------
Dec 17, 2019 7:00 AM

Feb 2018
Shingeki post basement is literally what you're asking
Dec 17, 2019 7:10 AM
May 2019
MySweetLucifer said:
Waschmaschine369 said:

Don't let the AoT fanboys hear that. It's part of their dogmatic belief-system that AoT is already Seinen.

it does have elements of it, and post basement it doesn't fit the general idea of shounen at all. still published in a shounen magazine though

Daniel_Naumov said:
Naruto falls under both categories. While the main-main characters are children, the story is that akin to Vinland Saga - it concerns their whole world and all the generations of it. Not just two star-crossed kids. Do not think that these definitions are absolute.

If my favourite "shounen" suddenly became a "seinen" properly, then there would be no problem. Gurren Lagann was also "shounen" until... well, someone had to grow up.

naruto is way longer and has more children as supporting characters. thorfinn and canute are 17-19 in the second half of this season already. there's no focus on kids for 220 episodes like in naruto.

and askeladd is as much of a main character as thorfinn and canute (who aren't even children, notably canute right now, thorfinn is just an idiot). time moves fast, next season they'll be full adults. doesn't take 500 episodes for one to become ''hokage'', if you know what I mean.

naruto might finds itself in both worlds, but not in any way similar to vs. it primarily focuses on kids.

keragamming said:
Waschmaschine369 said:

You sweet summer child....

it doesn't change what eren was first season. a 10 year not fearing giant titans, whole environment around him is scared as hell, his mom didn't like the survey corps, sees dismembered bodies and thinks ''epic!''. it is a stain even if the author saved his character later down the line. how did this dude not have fear as a kid.
Waschmaschine369Dec 17, 2019 7:17 AM
Dec 17, 2019 7:12 AM

Jan 2013
Hunter x Hunter as a seinen... So the whole anime would be more like the Chimera Ant saga? Sounds good to me.

MySweetLucifer said:
Waschmaschine369 said:

Play of the game.
Dec 17, 2019 7:16 AM
Apr 2016
Waschmaschine369 said:
MySweetLucifer said:

it does have elements of it, and post basement it doesn't fit the general idea of shounen at all. still published in a shounen magazine though

Daniel_Naumov said:

naruto is way longer and has more children as supporting characters. thorfinn and canute are 17-19 in the second half of this season already. there's no focus on kids for 220 episodes like in naruto.

and askeladd is as much of a main character as thorfinn and canute (who aren't even children, notably canute right now, thorfinn is just an idiot). time moves fast, next season they'll be full adults. doesn't take 500 episodes for one to become ''hokage'', if you know what I mean.

naruto might finds itself in both worlds, but not in any way similar to vs. it primarily focuses on kids.

I would never argue otherwise. If asked, I would say Vinland Saga transcends constraints of terms such as "shounen" and "seinen". It is something bigger.
Re:formed
Dec 17, 2019 7:18 AM
May 2019
Daniel_Naumov said:
Waschmaschine369 said:

I would never argue otherwise. If asked, I would say Vinland Saga transcends constraints of terms such as "shounen" and "seinen". It is something bigger.

what about boruto? genre-defying if you ask me
Dec 17, 2019 7:28 AM

Jan 2019
Waschmaschine369 said:

Oh boy, this isn’t going to age well lmao.
Dec 17, 2019 7:38 AM

Oct 2013
@Waschmaschine369

how did this dude not have fear as a kid.

Wow is this really hard to believe? Its his personality, if everyone was scared then who would fight the titan with that mindset?

Just like every other kid that want to save the world whether its because of inspiration, or because he wants to have freedom, like Eren. They all fight for something.

And if you haven't notice Eren since he was little is kinda fucked up in the head, remember this said kid kill two grown ass adult, I don't think you can consider him as "normal".
Dec 17, 2019 7:38 AM
Jan 2019
I knew things would get heated once someone mentioned SNK lol. It's still published in a shounen magazine, but if we pretend it is a genre with all the associations we have, then calling SNK post-basement shounen is pretty damn hilarious.

Waschmaschine369 said:

Yikes, chief! I'd remove this while you still can.
Dec 17, 2019 7:39 AM

Jan 2019
This entire thread doesn’t make sense at all. Seinen and shounen are just demographics. Seinen doesn’t mean all blood and gore, and shounen doesn’t mean power of friendship and that shit. For example, K-On is seinen and Hitoribocchi is shounen.
Dec 17, 2019 7:46 AM
May 2019
arne0 said:
Waschmaschine369 said:

it is the truth; https://mangabrog.wordpress.com/2014/12/24/interview-with-hajime-isayama-creator-of-attack-on-titan-better-to-have-memorable-art-even-memorably-bad-art-and-stand-out/

his character was ass at first no doubt about that. aot doesn't handle all the characters that well. mikasa is one of the worst I have ever seen in any medium.

@keragamming
@zeckrin

oh yeah I forgot about him killing those two grown adults as a child. it is still absurd and forced, there's no logical progression in why he turned out that way. it is a plot convenience, nothing else. the story just glosses over it. you can't just have a 10yr old be like that when he's from an otherwise normal family and had a normal chilhood like most behind the walls. he's a dumbass and not as smart as erwin who realized the lies of the world.

when the walls were destroyed and titans came in, he as a 10yr looked at titans with rage instead of fear. it is insane and stupid. even if there was that thing with armin having knowledge of how the world looked behind the walls.

again, he did become better written as isayama started to realize his potential.
Waschmaschine369Dec 17, 2019 8:01 AM
Dec 17, 2019 7:49 AM

Jan 2017
arne0 said:
This entire thread doesn’t make sense at all. Seinen and shounen are just demographics. Seinen doesn’t mean all blood and gore, and shounen doesn’t mean power of friendship and that shit. For example, K-On is seinen and Hitoribocchi is shounen.

I think this thread is more about "maturity" in Anime and peoples perceptions of it in general.
Dec 17, 2019 7:57 AM
Mar 2017
Shicchi said:
zagan93 said:

I prefer it like this:

I have watched Seinen, what I meant was- "shonen" is branded as Anime for 13-18, but I more often than not find myself watching some shonen show and thinking to myself-"man, a 13-year-old would be embarrassed to say he watches this, and I'm literally twice that age".
the thing is- Many Shonen labeled Anime has a great and original plot and awesome characters and world-building, however- the mood and character behavior is often exceedingly childish(not just childish), to the point where it could pass off as jokes for 7-10-year-olds, even though it's for 13-18-year-olds. so what I was asking to be more specific is- do you believe that your favorite Shonen or just some shonen you know, might be better if they were overall more mature(in all aspects of the word), not simply labeled as "Seinen" because labeling is tricky, I meant like in actuality more mature. I can just imagine how much better(and shorter) naruto would be if you cut most of the childish jokes and acting of the characters, to make it a much better and thrilling to see the story of Ninja's at war, instead of fart jokes and boob jokes every other minute.
Dec 17, 2019 8:07 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
I hate shounen so my favourites are stuff that might as well be seinen

1. Happy Sugar Life, definitly no shounen tropes dragging it down, would probably play the same as a seinen.
2. Kakegurui, might make it work slighly better if they remove Ryouta which seems to be there for the shounen crowd, not really a big deal though since he's hardly relevant and not obnoxious.
3. Gabriel DropOut, honestly no idea how this is a shounen, definitly feels like a seinen CGDCT
4. Flying Witch, started it, loved it and was shocked to find out it was a shounen, even less of an idea why this would be published in a shounen magazine
Dec 17, 2019 8:24 AM

Mar 2019
My favourite anime is Hunter×Hunter 2011. Turn it into Seinen? It'll just make it even better, at least for older fans.
Dec 17, 2019 8:24 AM

Oct 2013
Waschmaschine369 said:
arne0 said:

it is the truth; https://mangabrog.wordpress.com/2014/12/24/interview-with-hajime-isayama-creator-of-attack-on-titan-better-to-have-memorable-art-even-memorably-bad-art-and-stand-out/

his character was ass at first no doubt about that. aot doesn't handle all the characters that well. mikasa is one of the worst I have ever seen in any medium.

@keragamming
@zeckrin

oh yeah I forgot about him killing those two grown adults as a child. it is still absurd and forced, there's no logical progression in why he turned out that way. it is a plot convenience, nothing else. the story just glosses over it. you can't just have a 10yr old be like that when he's from an otherwise normal family and had a normal chilhood like most behind the walls. he's a dumbass and not as smart as erwin who realized the lies of the world.

when the walls were destroyed and titans came in, he as a 10yr looked at titans with rage instead of fear. it is insane and stupid. even if there was that thing with armin having knowledge of how the world looked behind the walls.

again, he did become better written as isayama started to realize his potential.

Does one needs to have a tragic backstory or child to be who they are? There are plenty of serial killers and murderers in the real world that had a normal life, yet they were abnormal, perhaps they had some mental issues that caused it? This is an ongoing question that has been asked by expert, many concluded that the reason must be mental issues because nothing else makes sense, you see how deep art can be if you tie in that as well? Perspective mate, art is in the eye of the beholder. The author may have looked back and thought that wasn't a good idea, but it doesn't mean its a flaw it self when in real world we have cases just like Eren.

Or let's go back to Eren since we are talking about fiction here, the kid wanted freedom, and perhaps because of that lack of freedom is what led him become such a violent and cold hearted individual and as I mention before his personality plays a big part in it.

I don't see it as a flaw in the grand scheme of things.

keragammingDec 17, 2019 8:29 AM
Dec 17, 2019 8:29 AM

Jan 2017
keragamming said:
@Waschmaschine369

Wow is this really hard to believe? Its his personality, if everyone was scared then who would fight the titan with that mindset?

Just like every other kid that want to save the world whether its because of inspiration, or because he wants to have freedom, like Eren. They all fight for something.

And if you haven't notice Eren since he was little is kinda fucked up in the head, remember this said kid kill two grown ass adult, I don't think you can consider him as "normal".

It would've been better for Eren as a character to have fear and overcoming it. Everyone has fear and has to overcome it to achieve something. Would be more realistic
Dec 17, 2019 8:38 AM
Aug 2018
Naruto would benefit a lot by being Seinen. If it had not been a Shonen, Kishimoto could have had portrayed the violence and that world in general in more realistic way, like what Ninja wears a bright orange jacket and track pants?

Also, the characters necessarily didn't need to various power-ups and new "forms" to show growth and sell manga. Like Naruto went through 4 different forms in the span of single day and got more powerful with each one, it was ridiculous.
Dec 17, 2019 8:45 AM

Oct 2013
MySweetLucifer said:
keragamming said:
@Waschmaschine369

It would've been better for Eren as a character to have fear and overcoming it. Everyone has fear and has to overcome it to achieve something. Would be more realistic

The thing is, Eren back then doesn't think with his dead, he relied on his emotion and that was mostly anger and hatred towards the titan.

Does a person feel fear when they are angered by something? Let me give you an example, let us say a big 6ft guy that looks like Arnold schwarzenegger push down your 5 year old sister on the ground and you are small in body in comparison to him, sure if you are a timid person you may perhaps ask him nicely why he did that out of fear, but any normal person reaction would be anger and you would confront that person without fear or hesitation on to why he did that to your sister, I think that is the same scenario for Eren, he hates the titans too much to fear them, especially when his mom died.

He also always had that hot headed personality to begin with. Anger in the real world got a lot of people dead, because they weren't thinking logically, the situation was against them but they still went full on in the danger simple because they let their anger consume them.
keragammingDec 17, 2019 8:49 AM
Dec 17, 2019 8:51 AM

May 2019
Waschmaschine369 said:

But SnK already is a seinen - Some retard on twitter
Dec 17, 2019 8:52 AM
Feb 2017
I’d love a dark MHA with higher stakes.
Dec 17, 2019 8:55 AM
Aug 2018
@Waschmaschine369

Eren is a traumatized *15 year old who was a fucked up kid to begin with. How could it be "forced" if the story establishes he has a different level of mortality?

You're making it sound like Eren just rushed into killing Titans the day Wall Maria was breached, no, Eren joined the army and trained to kill all the titans, how he's not smart?
Dec 17, 2019 8:58 AM

Jan 2010
zagan93 said:
Shicchi said:

I prefer it like this:

I have watched Seinen, what I meant was- "shonen" is branded as Anime for 13-18, but I more often than not find myself watching some shonen show and thinking to myself-"man, a 13-year-old would be embarrassed to say he watches this, and I'm literally twice that age".
the thing is- Many Shonen labeled Anime has a great and original plot and awesome characters and world-building, however- the mood and character behavior is often exceedingly childish(not just childish), to the point where it could pass off as jokes for 7-10-year-olds, even though it's for 13-18-year-olds. so what I was asking to be more specific is- do you believe that your favorite Shonen or just some shonen you know, might be better if they were overall more mature(in all aspects of the word), not simply labeled as "Seinen" because labeling is tricky, I meant like in actuality more mature. I can just imagine how much better(and shorter) naruto would be if you cut most of the childish jokes and acting of the characters, to make it a much better and thrilling to see the story of Ninja's at war, instead of fart jokes and boob jokes every other minute.

I guess you're right.

It's hard for some shounen because some of it's main characters are just childish. But I do think if my favorite shounen become more mature, it'll soooooooooooooooo much better :3
Dec 17, 2019 9:03 AM

Dec 2018
My favorite Shounen ( Attack on Titan ) its seinen but they calling it shounen because its published in shounen jump manga. So I cant answer your question . And I know that the main characters in SNK are teenagers, but you should notice that these teens are less chilidsh than 80% of the adult characters in the anime industry. This is probably caused by the brutality of the world in which they grew up. And that is why I like SNK , when I watching One piece or Naruto and i see 16 years old characters who acting like kids , but not normal kids more like dumb one I just want to vomit. This year perfect example would be Kimetsu no Yaiba ,half of the characters acting like they ran away from psychiatric institution and in MY opinion these things dosen't fit to series like KNY at all , it was good in Konosuba, but in KNY case its failure.
ReegrezSNKDec 17, 2019 9:21 AM
Dec 17, 2019 9:08 AM

Feb 2015
Fairy Tail as a seinen, I guess, would much deeper explore the theme of family and friendship relationships that make the guild members bond together, and less about simply beating up bad guys with friendship power.
Dec 17, 2019 9:12 AM
Jun 2017
Ashita no Joe's writing style is closer to most Seinen series rather than a Shonen anyway, so it wouldn't change anything for me.
Dec 17, 2019 9:15 AM
Mar 2017
ReegrezSNK said:
My favorite Shounen ( Attack on Titan ) its seinen but they calling it shounen because its published in shounen jump manga. So I cant answer your question .

not necessarily your number 1 favorite Shonen, it could be any shonen you watched and enjoyed and thought to yourself: " damn, this could have been so much better without all the parts where they act like goofs as if it's a child show.

when i say "Shonen" i don't mean the branding of Anime for certain demographic, more to "shonen tropes" such as many childish jokes and behavior of the characters, as well as lack of realism, seriousness, relationship and often lack of any sexual tension(only low-grade fanservice) and actual consequences of violence(blood, cuts, missing parts, scars and so on, sometimes they hit each other with city shattering attacks and end with a few bruises that heal within half a day).
Dec 17, 2019 9:19 AM

Jul 2019
Technically JoJo is a seinen, at least part 7 and 8.
Dec 17, 2019 9:22 AM
Jul 2018
FMA has mature themes enough to be a Seinen. But it lacks the edge, grimderp and the derknezz of scheißeshows like Berserk, Black Lagoon and K-ON! (the darkest one so far).
Dec 17, 2019 9:34 AM

Dec 2018
zagan93 said:
ReegrezSNK said:
My favorite Shounen ( Attack on Titan ) its seinen but they calling it shounen because its published in shounen jump manga. So I cant answer your question .

not necessarily your number 1 favorite Shonen, it could be any shonen you watched and enjoyed and thought to yourself: " damn, this could have been so much better without all the parts where they act like goofs as if it's a child show.

when i say "Shonen" i don't mean the branding of Anime for certain demographic, more to "shonen tropes" such as many childish jokes and behavior of the characters, as well as lack of realism, seriousness, relationship and often lack of any sexual tension(only low-grade fanservice) and actual consequences of violence(blood, cuts, missing parts, scars and so on, sometimes they hit each other with city shattering attacks and end with a few bruises that heal within half a day).

I would be glad to see more anime without childish jokes and unnecessary fanservice . I think Fate / Zero its perfect example how good anime could be without this useless stuff .
Dec 17, 2019 9:36 AM

Jul 2014
FMA and HxH would likely have less chibi sight gags and different, more subdued art styles, I guess.
Take care of yourself

Dec 17, 2019 9:47 AM

Feb 2010
They would not have been as successful and popular and One Piece would have not gotten 900+ episodes of anime adaption, but maybw 13-25 instead. It takes a shounen to air during the day and become popular enough to get 100+ episode adaptions. So most of my favorite battle shounen anime would not exist, or only in the form of short teasters advertising the source material.

I prefer getting lengthy adaptions of stuff like HxH or One Piece over adding some gore and removing all the comedy (which seems to be the main difference between seinen and shounen if this thread can be trusted). The shows would gain almost nothing of substance but loss a lot of their reach and popularity by being forced to air at night and rely on BD sales rather than getting to get a long-running adaption fueling their popularity.
I probably regret this post by now.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

29 by Mykasan »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

38 by TheSFHero »»
23 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 8 hours ago

33 by TRC_Randy »»
57 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 11 hours ago

42 by Vendicator »»
1 hour ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

42 by TRC_Randy »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.