Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 15, 2019 8:14 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Sakaido is apparently a "briliant detective" trying to learn the way of the world. Something I noticed about him is how he analyzes almost everything and constantly trying to learn. The most interesting part of the show is the "fragmented world" imo. Feels like this anime has a lot of strange content going on including the criminal he was tailing. So I suppose this is more of a science fiction thriller/detective series.

Interesting stuff imo. The overall usage of the OST used for the first two episodes were also kinda catchy.
Dec 15, 2019 8:16 AM
Error

Jun 2016
You get to know more about Sakaido in the real world. First case has been solved but who is John Walker? Seems like everything is linked to him. This anime has potential I think, very unique in it's genre.
Dec 15, 2019 10:38 AM

Jan 2014
Okay, I'm hooked. I also got some heavy Unlimited "Drill" Works feels from this episode, hah. Great episode.
Dec 15, 2019 11:22 AM

Aug 2013
The second part of the special.

Is Sakaido a prisoner. Now I want to learn more.

From just the first two episodes, well the special, got me interested.

Dec 15, 2019 12:52 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
This world is definitely original and interesting
Dec 15, 2019 1:08 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Leo said:
The second part of the special.

Is Sakaido a prisoner. Now I want to learn more.

From just the first two episodes, well the special, got me interested.

Yeah, its a really interesting premise and the execution is pretty good too. I'm hooked and definitely looking forward to picking it up again come january.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 15, 2019 3:16 PM

May 2016
Honest question: How do people come up with such insane premises? I wish I was this creative!
Anyway, these first two episodes presented not only an interesting story but also solid animation and soundtrack. Can't wait to see the Opening and Ending next month!
Dec 15, 2019 3:47 PM
Dec 2017
TheLimo said:
Honest question: How do people come up with such insane premises? I wish I was this creative!
Anyway, these first two episodes presented not only an interesting story but also solid animation and soundtrack. Can't wait to see the Opening and Ending next month!

The ED song is already out, or rather it was already a song before it was chosen to be the ED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15FKY0uXro0

As for the OP the only taste of it we've gotten so far was PV 2
Dec 15, 2019 11:48 PM

Aug 2017
I'm hooked, hope the rest of the show can keep up this momentum. John Walker has very similar hair to the Chief although I hope it doesn't end up being him as it seems too obvious. I'm curious how Saikaido's daughter died and who he killed to end up as a prisoner. Maybe his daughter was murdered and Sakaido killed the person responsible for revenge? Also looking forward to seeing what the other 'wells' are like from the future killers. I wonder if Sakaido could go into his own 'well' or if that's impossible.
Dec 16, 2019 10:55 AM
Jul 2019
That was awesome..........................I'm thinking that old man could be John walker.
Dec 16, 2019 11:41 AM
Nov 2019
Looks promising - Saikaido sounds like the same VA as Cop Craft and suits the character...

This, Plunderer and a new Madoka coming makes me look forwards to Jan....
Dec 16, 2019 1:52 PM

Dec 2017
i like that it will have all kinds of weird "wells". this one was all broken up, with him swinging around on his broken up hand, the other ones will have something else. that's pretty cool

as for the premise, it seems people have connected this to psycho-pass, i can see it vaguely in the gun itself. the machine seems to remind me the Cerebro machine from the X-Men where you can infiltrate one's mind, on distance even, and do all sorts of stuff

definitely will continue watching this one
Dec 16, 2019 6:03 PM

Apr 2018
Ok so this had a lot to unpack and grapple with and threw tons of ideas at viewers so I was hoping someone with better comprehension might help. Is kaeru supposed to be his daughter? How do they access these id wells? I initially assumed they would need the mind of the person somehow with a brain scan but it becomes obvious that can’t be the case. I realize it is early in the series and these are possibly questions it will answer later, just want to make sure they weren’t already answered and I missed them because I am dumb.
Dec 17, 2019 9:36 AM
Sep 2018
VeriSnekBoi said:
Is kaeru supposed to be his daughter? .
Kaeru is the default murder victim that is generated whenever they access the id wells, the Detective views her as some sort of stand-in for his presumably dead daughter.
Dec 17, 2019 1:27 PM
Dec 2017
VeriSnekBoi said:
Ok so this had a lot to unpack and grapple with and threw tons of ideas at viewers so I was hoping someone with better comprehension might help. Is kaeru supposed to be his daughter? How do they access these id wells? I initially assumed they would need the mind of the person somehow with a brain scan but it becomes obvious that can’t be the case. I realize it is early in the series and these are possibly questions it will answer later, just want to make sure they weren’t already answered and I missed them because I am dumb.

His daughter's name is Muku, Kaede is like John Walker in that she is in basically every single one of the killers wells. I honestly don't really know how the whole getting into the brain thing works, but honestly I don't really think it matters much in the context of the show.
Dec 17, 2019 11:14 PM

Apr 2015
I've been looking forward to this ever since I saw the PV. Ee Aoki has done really good original anime before this one (Re:Creators) so expect a lot of mind-bending concepts.

Apparently we have one twisted protagonist!

Explaining my scoring system would take more than 650 characters.
Dec 18, 2019 6:03 PM

Apr 2016
Wow i love Psycho Pass: The Somnium Files

tbh the way this opened was really cool and one of the better "wakes up in strange place with no memory" scenarios i've seen but i wish it held on Sakaido in the well for longer instead of intermittent returns to real life, but i suppose that wouldn't work for Plotte reasons.
moe moe ichijou seiya

Dec 22, 2019 2:33 AM
Jun 2019
I’m not keen on them translating meitantei as brilliant detective every time, but that minor point is literally my only gripe about these two episodes. I’m intrigued and want to know more. Very keen for the rest of the series to air.
Dec 22, 2019 2:53 AM
Sep 2019
This is interesting, but it is still very confusing
Dec 23, 2019 11:38 AM
Dec 2018
So after watching these 2 episode ,the general idea I get are

- ID/Well (device) detect cognition of murderers (and who tried to commit suside as in hondomachi in episode ) and mizuhanome create World of that person's mind

- who dives in that world loses his/her memories
- and those investigators record that world and gain data from it about the killer's state

- that id world appears different according to the killer but the common thing in all world is the deadbody of kaeru (who is looks like or is?? sakaido's daughter )
(But from this epi I cannot say that it is either due that sakaido is diving or it's default like some mystery)

- John Walker appears in the id of serial killer maybe a default like kaeru but epi confirmed like that is not case he is a person "John Walker serial killer creator"

- Sakaido is diver in Id from the epi it is confirmed that his daughter muku(/kaeru!?) is dead (it is not confirmed that someone killed her or suicide or accident)

I have some questions like
Then why is he in prison? (like did he find her daughter's killer and killed him or for some other reason)
And in photos we can see his wife so where is she?

Very much liked episode and very unique concept like Inception

Sorry if I made mistake I don't understand much Japanese and subtitles weren't helping that much
Goku125Dec 23, 2019 11:44 AM
Dec 25, 2019 4:50 AM

Jul 2017
The crime got serious, but it's not doing anything for me to understand how the entire ID world exists for whom and what.

For the most part, Sakaido in the fragmented world learns about the bits and pieces that forms one big canvas, but the fragmented world being naturally separate is a course that couldn't be countered.

Additionally, the "ID wells" are like different dimensions in people's memories, as Sakaido attempts to deride Kaeru's death mystery and understand the link to serial killer John Walker. Almost all of that dialogue is in one way or another important, but not much clues as of now to determine any causal factors.

Definitely interesting premise, and none other from Ei Aoki himself. Just have to wait until the rest drops next month.
Dec 30, 2019 9:13 AM

Jun 2016
Damn i just finished playing Ai the somnium files yesterday and this story feels a lot similar, the ids are literaly somniums. And

So far i quite like the story, the animation seemed off at times but that didn't affect my enjoyment.
Dec 31, 2019 1:13 PM
Jan 2018
This is giving strong The Mentalist Tv series vibe. John Walker aka Red John
Dec 31, 2019 6:19 PM
Anime Cat

Aug 2017
Unusual. Mysterious. Interesting.

This one has a lot potential.
Jan 1, 2020 11:37 AM
Jul 2018
Yup this show's caught my attention. The MC seems interesting. And the OST was wonderful.
Jan 2, 2020 8:01 PM

Oct 2019
If it keeps up this level of quality I could see this being one of the best series of the season.
Jan 3, 2020 9:52 AM

Apr 2016
I have only one question. 6th january .. what episode will be out ? Third one or first one ?
Jan 3, 2020 12:06 PM
Mar 2018
Very nice,

I felt OST usage was a bit heavy handed, but overall presentation was nice.

Also, drilling holes in heads from Mr. Drill Hole in the Brain.

I'm pretty hyped for this in the future, especially as its directed by Ei Aoki.
Jan 3, 2020 8:43 PM

Dec 2016
I fuck with this show a lot more than I was expecting
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 4, 2020 2:20 AM

Oct 2017
So Sakaido is a prisoner it seems and looks like for some reason his own daughter suicided because of him. Also there's a guy who creates serial killer, wow. So much mystery for now but this is definitely interesting. Looking forward to the upcoming episodes.
Jan 4, 2020 3:25 AM
May 2017
Definitely better than the first episode.
Jan 4, 2020 3:35 PM

Jul 2015
I will give a few episodes.
Jan 5, 2020 2:34 AM

Feb 2017
So far so good. It caught my attention.
Jan 5, 2020 9:56 AM

Mar 2018
Holy shit that ED slaps

Anyway the anime is pretty decent. Nice mystery show with some imaginative ideas. Looking forward where this will go.
Jan 5, 2020 11:09 AM

Jul 2019
He is a Dilf omg -3-
Jan 5, 2020 12:53 PM
Jul 2018
I like this Anime.. The topic is interesting and I want to learn what will happen next! *.*
Jan 5, 2020 2:23 PM

Feb 2019
Yea this and Babylon definitely going to be two of my all time favourites, that ED fucking bangs wtf. I also just realised why this felt strangely familiar, very similar to Paprika and Satoshi Kon's work, I'm really loving it so far.
I think the little girl is going to become evil by the end of everything, think we got a bit of a Chekhov's gun situation going on with that shit he planted in her head figuratively. Looking forward to the next one. Not sure why this has a 7.39 rating already, why would anyone rate a series two eps in? MAL should really ban that.
Jan 5, 2020 3:40 PM

Nov 2014
a bit confusing, okay.

so from what i understood, that Dominator-like tool detects a person's killer intent, and when it does, it allows the other police to enter the detected person's mind (which creates that world) and they sent the mc into it and figure out the killer?

MegamiRem said:
So Sakaido is a prisoner it seems and looks like for some reason his own daughter suicided because of him.

the synopsis already said his daughter was murdered.
Jan 5, 2020 4:25 PM

Jan 2017
Ok so to episode 1/part 1 had my curiosity buy this second episode now have my attention.

The setting in quite interesting, it feels like Psycho-Pass x Inception.
Jan 5, 2020 5:41 PM
Jun 2016
I just want to give props to OP for telling us not to post spoilers from the manga on an anime original.

Real 200 IQ play there.
Jan 5, 2020 5:51 PM

Dec 2016
Meh

The first episode starts like a low budget indie videogame in a very disorienting enviroment where the player must find some sort of orientation of what's up or down, left or right in a world with it's own rules. On paper it might sound like an interesting premise, but the execution is totally mind numbing.

Episode 2 at leasts shows up a bit more of the outisde world that complements the boring lifeless world inside these so called "wells" but it's also a very boring and lifeless world. The idea that people can live after being pierced by a drill right into the lobe is incredibly hard to buy, and so is the idea that somehow the killer from this first case was able to switch places with one of his victims and managed to scape while in the ambulance. Same goes for the younger investigator Hondomachi that managed to get inside Sakaido's well before becoming a victim with no explanation how she did it. I know I shouldn't ask for the first episodes to answer everything, but quite frankly this lifeless and boring world and lazy directing isn't appealing for me so far.

I'll leave this one on hold for now and wait until it goes past mid point to see if more people stuck with this one.
Jan 5, 2020 6:18 PM

Dec 2015
Looks promising, I have high hopes for it, maybe the dark horse this season. But this type of show can easily fall flat, hopefully that doesn't happen here.
Jan 5, 2020 6:50 PM

Jan 2018
Looks like the Perforator's captured. I thought the girl died, my mistake on that one.

The tool to get into the serial killer's mind, Mizuhanome huh? Looke like we need some further explanation on that one. But, it's an interesting concept.
Jan 5, 2020 9:57 PM

Feb 2010
Frat_Snap said:
John Walker has very similar hair to the Chief although I hope it doesn't end up being him as it seems too obvious.

Too much a tell if Chief = Killer. Hopefully a red herring.
Jan 6, 2020 12:30 AM

Aug 2018
The story is very interesting and good
I'm hooked only after Two episodes
Can't wait for Ep3
SaiDxvLightJan 6, 2020 12:58 AM
Jan 6, 2020 12:53 AM
Jun 2015
Interesting start, but I think it feels like it is trying too hard to be complex instead of telling a fully cohesive narrative.

I still am not quite on board with the whole "brilliant detective" thing. It works as a concept, but in execution, I am not sure the point of it. If it is purely for observational purposes in the id of the killer, then that makes sense to me, acting as a way for observation that is different and seemingly more convenient than conventional field work. However, it seems the detective needs to solve the death of Kaeru, who seems to be the system's default victim stand in. Again, this could work in concept, but in execution it is very mixed. The first well makes no sense as to the point of finding the killer, as the killer reveal doesn't actually contribute to the case. While the information is gathered from the well, it does not come from finding the location of the killer in it. The second well makes sense because it shows reflections of reality and give the location of the rookie.

This then leads to the issues with the whole use of intent to kill and cognition. First the idea of cognitive particles seems utterly absurd and nonsensical, meant more for the purpose of making the tech work than anything else. There is also the ambiguity around the idea of "intent to kill." The wakumusubi can't detect the police's wanting to kill, only desire/intent to kill. This makes sense to a degree, but it feels a little contrived in a way that could either lead to some interesting understandings of intent, or provide a convenient formula so they can broadly use the concept while avoiding issues later on. But then the second episode equates the rookie's gambit to killing intent, which muddles the concept even further, as her intent isn't so much to kill herself but alert her comrades.

However, its still early days, and the concepts and narrative could become clearer as more episodes come out.
Jan 6, 2020 2:12 AM

Jan 2009
so the main villain is this John Walker that creates serial killers

but for now it makes sense that John Walker is just a common concept or symbol of the killing intent of serial killers

so Saikado is actually a prisoner with special talent to dive in the unconscious

so criminals are fighting against criminals eh that seems like Psycho-Pass too
Jan 6, 2020 4:10 AM

Oct 2018

I just want to who is john walker, then I will stop watching.... for me there wasn't anything interesting..
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Jan 6, 2020 5:13 AM
May 2017
Love both the OP and ED. Standout songs with great visuals.

Sisyphusson66 said:
Interesting start, but I think it feels like it is trying too hard to be complex instead of telling a fully cohesive narrative.

I still am not quite on board with the whole "brilliant detective" thing. It works as a concept, but in execution, I am not sure the point of it. If it is purely for observational purposes in the id of the killer, then that makes sense to me, acting as a way for observation that is different and seemingly more convenient than conventional field work. However, it seems the detective needs to solve the death of Kaeru, who seems to be the system's default victim stand in. Again, this could work in concept, but in execution it is very mixed. The first well makes no sense as to the point of finding the killer, as the killer reveal doesn't actually contribute to the case. While the information is gathered from the well, it does not come from finding the location of the killer in it. The second well makes sense because it shows reflections of reality and give the location of the rookie.

This then leads to the issues with the whole use of intent to kill and cognition. First the idea of cognitive particles seems utterly absurd and nonsensical, meant more for the purpose of making the tech work than anything else. There is also the ambiguity around the idea of "intent to kill." The wakumusubi can't detect the police's wanting to kill, only desire/intent to kill. This makes sense to a degree, but it feels a little contrived in a way that could either lead to some interesting understandings of intent, or provide a convenient formula so they can broadly use the concept while avoiding issues later on. But then the second episode equates the rookie's gambit to killing intent, which muddles the concept even further, as her intent isn't so much to kill herself but alert her comrades.

However, its still early days, and the concepts and narrative could become clearer as more episodes come out.

This and the hole drilling thing being kind of absurd said earlier are a good summary of this show's problems so far. My non-critical ass didn't think of any of this stuff but yeah I agree.
Jan 6, 2020 6:57 AM
Oct 2017
I have the most insane otegami kyoko vibes from this and i (kinda) love it.
Still let's hope Ei daddy doesn't screw this up.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Spoilers problem

Quarter034 - Nov 8, 2023

2 by Kristiwazhere »»
Mar 16, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Id:Invaded Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2020

201 by Byniavo »»
Oct 25, 2023 10:20 AM

Poll: » Id:Invaded Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2020

100 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 23, 2023 12:05 AM

Poll: » Id:Invaded Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2020

118 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 22, 2023 6:20 PM

Poll: » ID:Invaded Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2020

102 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 22, 2023 4:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.