Forum Settings
Forums

Having your “sins” forgiven...does it even make sense?

New
Dec 14, 2019 3:36 AM

Jun 2008
It’s been a looong time since I’ve made a topic about religion, but for whatever reason, here’s one.

Ok, so since I was raised Christian and it’s the religion I know VERY well...I wanted to talk about having your “sins” forgiven.

Now, in Christianity almost EVERYTHING is a sin...no joke...but the way it works is if you confess your sins and repent no matter how bad the sins were, you will be forgiven.

Of course the whole purpose of having your sins forgiven is so you DON’T go to hell...since IF you die a “sinner” you go to hell.

Anyways...does this even make sense?

You can do all types of fucked up shit and you’re forgiven or “absolved” just by confessing/repenting?

And this is supposed to be the almighty god’s ultimate justice?!

Hitler (yup I’m breaking Godwin’s law immediately) could’ve repented at the very end and gone to heaven IF Christianity is real!

Think about that.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 14, 2019 3:45 AM

Mar 2016
Better change that title to “Having your “sins” forgiven...does it even make sense according to christianity?”. Just wanna point that out cause you’re discussing Christianity’s take on sins.
Dec 14, 2019 6:56 AM
Aug 2016
I am not religious, so I don't believe in such things. Nor do I care. I don't want to be forgiven. I've done nothing wrong.
Dec 14, 2019 7:01 AM

Sep 2017
Thankfully I'm not Christian, because my whole existence is already a sin itself. I would have been desintagrated by a holy lightning for a long time
Dec 14, 2019 7:09 AM

Jul 2016
It is a weird assumption that you're sinful until confessed otherwise. I'd say I'm essentially a good person, but apparently, me and everyone else are going to hell by default? Christianity's really depressing isn't it?
Dec 14, 2019 7:10 AM

Sep 2016
I used to be Catholic, but I've switched to being agnostic and part of it was because I don't like the idea of believing you have to be forgiven for every small petty thing. If you murder someone, you shouldn't just go to confession. You should go apologize to the person's family.
You're right, pretty much everything according to the Catholic faith is seen as a sin. I don't like this idea personally because it can lead to large amounts of guilt. Why should I feel guilty for having sexual thoughts about people? Why should I feel guilty for not listening to my parents if they hit me? That sort of thing.
There's also the fact that everybody makes mistakes and we should learn from them. Not just beg for forgiveness. We shouldn't feel guilty for making mistakes. After all, we're human. Why should I ask for forgiveness for doing something that everybody does?

Life has no meaning,
but that doesn't mean
we shouldn't live it

Dec 14, 2019 7:28 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
According to Christianity your whole existence is one big sin because your parents have had sex in order to conceive you unlike Virgin Mary and her immaculate conception by the Holy Spirit (not the AV).

Now you should spend your life according to jehova's will else you go to hell for a perpetual spanking and if you manage to please him he will let you have sex with his entire harem in kingdom come for all eternity. The Christian way.

Basically you should refrain from sinning in the years you are alive for the promise of everlasting debauchery in the afterlife.
149597871Dec 14, 2019 7:36 AM
Dec 14, 2019 8:02 AM
Jul 2018
My first problem with this is: People don't regret their wrongdoings because they are sorry. They pretend to be sorry, because they believe in hell and want to save their own ass.
If I actually and sincerely regret something, wouldn't I ask for forgiveness by the person I treated wrongly, not God? Or at least have a bad conscience towards this person?
For stuff like mass murderer, rape etc. there shouldn't be forgiviness anyway. It sounds too simpel.

My next problem with this is and this will be longer now: Everything is a sin, as he said, even if nobody got hurt directly or indirectly.
Even the seven deadly sins per se aren't "sins". Anger, lust, greed, leeling lazy, etc. alone don't hurt people. Only if your actions lead to hurting people.
These "sins" alone are normal feelings that are healthy and I dislike Christianity (if it's lived in this traditional form), because they shame people for being human and blame them for making healthy human experiences.
And as you said everything is a sin. I remember that we were being told that being vain (vain like caring for your appearance or having a lot of self-esteem) is bad and people, in these cases girls, should be "modest".
Truth is Christianity was founded two milleniums ago and in medieval times the religion was designed to control people with fear of the purgaroty and systematically installing self-loathing for everything they think, feel and do in them.

Nick-Knight said:
Jews live by the law. Christians live by the grace. One knowingly sin is enough for you to go to Hell if you're jewish. While as followers of Christ we can sin as much as we please. But as long as we regret it we're forgiven.

A sin is simply is a transgession against God's law. Premarital sex, lying, homossexuality, using the Lord's name in vain are all sins. But no, not everthing is a sin. My days are filled with fun. Anime, music, Netflix, working, talking to people, eating, sleeping, praying. I have a lovely sinless life as I strive to have. Some people think it is hard but it is not. If there's a will, there's a way. God and Jesus are going to forgive you as long as you regret it. Go to a church, synagogue and pour your heart out to a religious leader or simply get down on your knees all alone. Reach out to the Lord, confess everything and let the truth set you free. If you don't want to repent, just remember that God created a place that is the anti-thesis to heaven. Say the word in your mind and see your worldview changing drastically.

... but I don't regret anything.
removed-userDec 14, 2019 8:07 AM
Dec 14, 2019 8:06 AM

Dec 2012
Uhh, yeah. It's called the Jesus Christ. He died as the perfect sacrifice to wash away our sins and He rose again as proof that sin has been overcome.

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Jesus is King. Don't be a cringe atheist and burn in hell for all of eternity because you blasphemed Christ on an anime forum.

Jun 2019
--ALEX-- said:
It’s been a looong time since I’ve made a topic about religion, but for whatever reason, here’s one.

Ok, so since I was raised Christian and it’s the religion I know VERY well...I wanted to talk about having your “sins” forgiven.

Now, in Christianity almost EVERYTHING is a sin...no joke...but the way it works is if you confess your sins and repent no matter how bad the sins were, you will be forgiven.

Of course the whole purpose of having your sins forgiven is so you DON’T go to hell...since IF you die a “sinner” you go to hell.

Anyways...does this even make sense?

You can do all types of fucked up shit and you’re forgiven or “absolved” just by confessing/repenting?

And this is supposed to be the almighty god’s ultimate justice?!

Hitler (yup I’m breaking Godwin’s law immediately) could’ve repented at the very end and gone to heaven IF Christianity is real!

Think about that.

But thats just one of the branches of Christianity, the others are less forgiving
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Maneki-Mew said:
My first problem with this is: People don't regret their wrongdoings because they are sorry. They pretend to be sorry, because they believe in hell and want to save their own ass.
If I actually and sincerely regret something, wouldn't I ask for forgiveness by the person I treated wrongly, not God? Or at least have a bad conscience towards this person?
For stuff like mass murderer, rape etc. there shouldn't be forgiviness anyway. It sounds too simpel.

My next problem with this is and this will be longer now: Everything is a sin, as he said, even if nobody got hurt directly or indirectly.
Even the seven deadly sins per se aren't "sins". Anger, lust, greed, leeling lazy, etc. alone don't hurt people. Only if your actions lead to hurting people.
These "sins" alone are normal feelings that are healthy and I dislike Christianity (if it's lived in this traditional form), because they shame people for being human and blame them for making healthy human experiences.
And as you said everything is a sin. I remember that we were being told that being vain (vain like caring for your appearance or having a lot of self-esteem) is bad and people, in these cases girls, should be "modest".
Truth is Christianity was founded two milleniums ago and in medieval times the religion was designed to control people with fear of the purgaroty and systematically installing self-loathing for everything they think, feel and do in them.

?

https://prnt.sc/qasw0f

Was there something you wanted?

Dec 14, 2019 8:08 AM
Jul 2018
Manaban said:
Maneki-Mew said:

?

https://prnt.sc/qasw0f

Was there something you wanted?

Sorry, I used the wrong user name. Saw you in another topic and mistook it with this.
Dec 14, 2019 9:04 AM
Jul 2018
Nick-Knight said:
@Maneki-Mew well girl, God's rules are absolute. If you don't regret a crime you'd still be arrested regardless of what you feel. If you don't regret your sins jigoku still awaits for you.

I'm waiting for the cool people there haha
Like I said, I think it's brainwashing of people to be obedient to the church. A lot of fear and self-hatred does wonder if installing while you are young enough.
By that I don't want to say that religions are bad or that I'm an atheist. I'm not, but they want people to follow a thousands year old rulebook of doom, so they are obedient and won't question their religion.

Also, is someone's regret even worth it, if they do it for their own egocentric reasons? They think they must save their soul, so they suddenly "regret". It's like a criminal pretends to regret, so he might get not so many years of jail.
Dec 14, 2019 9:31 AM

Oct 2015
How have the times changed? Now religiosity is what's cool in the internet.
Dec 14, 2019 9:58 AM
Jul 2018
Nick-Knight said:
Maneki-Mew said:

I'm waiting for the cool people there haha
Like I said, I think it's brainwashing of people to be obedient to the church. A lot of fear and self-hatred does wonder if installing while you are young enough.
By that I don't want to say that religions are bad or that I'm an atheist. I'm not, but they want people to follow a thousands year old rulebook of doom, so they are obedient and won't question their religion.

Also, is someone's regret even worth it, if they do it for their own egocentric reasons? They think they must save their soul, so they suddenly "regret". It's like a criminal pretends to regret, so he might get not so many years of jail.

One day the constitution is going to be a millenia old. And we'll still follow it. Yes, even as a God-fearing Christian I'm fully aware of the fact that religion can be used to brainwash the masses. Just like media, politicians and influencial people as an overall. If you "regret" it simply for fear of Hell you're lying in your heart therefore you won't forgiven. You must regret it out of respect of God. Just like as if he was your parent. There's a reason why he is called by many 'Father'. Because he's a father figure to the world. No one likes disaplointing their parents. It's bad for your and everyone else around you. Regret it because it was bad for you and you disobeyed Him. Simple as that.

I mean, you could do as you wish. I'd just like to say that the whole puberty thing just happens too, so children could become an independent person frol their parents and think on their own. So that argument is pretty meaningless to me. I always got and get in normal arguments and disagreements with my mother. That's a normal development people go through.
Good parents support that and make children understand WHY something is considered as wrong. Bad and abusive parents just tell you "lying is wrong" and if you are still doing it, they will abuse you for it and so does the "Father" in your religion.

Also stuff like lying for example: everyone does it, it's human nature, but it's the job of parents and caretakers to make them understand why some lies are bad. Religion follows childlishly one rule and doesn't differentiate, like "if your lies ruin someone's life, then it's, of course, wrong." Most lies are just neutral everyday stuff.
But by making everything sinful, they install in the by-book-believers the feeling of "omg, I'm a bad person now!?", "omg, I got a homosexual crush, am I bad now?", "omg, I felt jealousy, I shouldn't!" by making all the healthy human stuff inhumane and wrong or perverted.
Dec 14, 2019 10:02 AM

Apr 2010
I am not Christian, but I believe there should be some level of sins... and going to a priest totally shouldn't make up for any crime...

Dec 14, 2019 12:05 PM

Apr 2019
--ALEX-- said:
the whole purpose of having your sins forgiven is so you DON’T go to hell

The whole purpose of repenting is trying to become a better person. Not trying to save your ass from hell. It is not a ticket.
Hitler wouldn't have went to heaven just by repenting, he would have needed to have a full change of heart just like Paul or the thief on the cross did.

Maneki-Mew said:
They pretend to be sorry, because they believe in hell and want to save their own ass.
is someone's regret even worth it, if they do it for their own egocentric reasons?

Jesus himself despised these kinds of people.

Maneki-Mew said:
the seven deadly sins per se aren't "sins". Anger, lust, greed, feeling lazy, etc. alone don't hurt people.
Only if your actions lead to hurting people. These "sins" alone are normal feelings that are healthy

The term "seven deadly sins" is not a part of the bible. It was never said that these emotions are sins, but the actions it conceives are.

Maneki-Mew said:
And as you said, everything is a sin.. vain like caring for your appearance or having a lot of self-esteem is bad
I got a homosexual crush, am I bad now? omg, I felt jealousy, I shouldn't

All of these are not part of the bible. Having a high-self esteem, nor jealousy nor having a homosexual crush isn't a sin by itself, but it could lead to it.

-ShinzoDec 14, 2019 12:43 PM

Dec 14, 2019 2:16 PM

Nov 2016
The idea behind it is that the confession is supposed to be difficult for the confessor, because faith is presumed. If you believe that you did something wrong, then you'd have a hard time admitting it. Go through that exercise a few times, and you'll automatically develop an aversion to stuff that makes you go through this exercise (confession). Repentance works because of the psychology behind it, not because it actually erases your wrongdoings. The idea is to reinforce an attitude of sin-avoidance.

On the other hand though, if you simply believe that you can do all kinds of crazy shit and get away with it after a confession, then your faith is not sincere therefore your confession is void. But then again, if you have no faith, why even confess?

There's a flaw with this algorithm that you point out with Hitler but given the gain over the losses, it works pretty well.
Dec 14, 2019 2:21 PM

Jan 2013
Sin is a made up idea to trick gullible people into joining cults and giving them money.
Dec 14, 2019 3:34 PM
Dec 2010
I thought the idea of confessing a sin is to make use of the confess against the people who confess. They will be forgiven if they bend down to the listener's will.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Dec 14, 2019 3:56 PM
Dec 2019
Hey, I am both a Christian and Universalist, so this topic is right up my alley. I think this topic is A LOT more abstract than many here are putting it. And that is okay! It is not the easiest topic.

This may just be me, but repentance will only be seen by God if it is genuine. It is extremely unlikely that somebody as mentally ill and evil as Hitler would do a 180 and repent with all his heart at the end. That being said, there are indeed people who do terrible things, repent genuinely, and who ARE forgiven. God/Jesus is all merciful. "He who hath not sinned may cast the first stone" (John 8:7). This is where my universalism comes in...

So, essentially the Bible states that "The way to the Father art by Me (Jesus). (John 14:6) But what many people don't know is it also states that "Every knee shall bow to Jesus" (Philippians 2:10-11). I could be interpreting this completely incorrectly, but I take this to mean that at the end, we will all indeed be saved from a cruel fate. This is not to say that you should not believe in God in this life. Believing in God and loving Him is truly beneficial for this life. Now, I want to address something else...

Christianity is NOT all fire and brimstone! If anybody acts like that, they are misguided. True, they have the Old Testament and that is why they can tout their beliefs like that. BUT, Jesus and the New Testament changed the entire game. Now forgiveness is guaranteed and most OT laws are now null and void. Please don't let what I call "hypoChristians" tell you otherwise.

I am sorry for rambling, but I desire to "fix" the image many Christians have given us. In the end, in my opinion, God will forgive every single last one of us. Good conduct is desirable, but in the end, we are all sinful humans and God still loves us. I don't believe in zero penalty for those who constantly harm others or sin severely, but in the end, we are ONE. No matter what. I realize my views are probably overly-romantic, but I am going off my personal relationship with God, and not what churches or Christians tell me.

I hope that offered a fresh perspective! You can always private message me if you want to discuss more!
Dec 14, 2019 10:02 PM

Oct 2014
no, it doesn't make sense, as religion does not make sense. if you want to get the weight off your shoulders about a crime you've committed, tell the police, not a priest.
Dec 14, 2019 10:17 PM

Feb 2017
Discussing sense in religion is like discussing philosophy in science, Useless.

Dec 14, 2019 10:20 PM

Mar 2008
Repentance is to realize what you have done and feel regret for what you've done and trying to better yourself toward the ideal image. Pretending to feel bad and pretending to change is not really repentance. This makes perfect sense in it's proper expression when it is the case for things that were actual wrongdoings. The only problem with repenting in theological context is the contrition of things people shouldn't have to feel guilty over.
Dec 14, 2019 10:29 PM

Apr 2018
Truely admitting that you sinned then ask for God's forgiveness and trying to deceive yourself are close but not exactly the same.
Dec 14, 2019 10:38 PM

Apr 2016
Sins don't need to be forgiven. Use it as a reminder to be better in anyway if you're weighted, then exercise the futility of that reality to make something of that anywhere in anyway.

God gives strength to those who are willing, to the religious.

Enen no Shouboutai - Joker
Dec 15, 2019 3:09 AM
Jul 2018
-Shinzo said:
--ALEX-- said:
the whole purpose of having your sins forgiven is so you DON’T go to hell

The whole purpose of repenting is trying to become a better person. Not trying to save your ass from hell. It is not a ticket.
Hitler wouldn't have went to heaven just by repenting, he would have needed to have a full change of heart just like Paul or the thief on the cross did.

Even then: there are some people, who shouldn't get redemption under any circumstances. The "change of the heart" is nothing that neither a god nor other humans should take in consideration for people, who are far beyond any human moral horizon.

-Shinzo said:
Maneki-Mew said:
And as you said, everything is a sin.. vain like caring for your appearance or having a lot of self-esteem is bad
I got a homosexual crush, am I bad now? omg, I felt jealousy, I shouldn't

All of these are not part of the bible. Having a high-self esteem, nor jealousy nor having a homosexual crush isn't a sin by itself, but it could lead to it.

Only if you believe in repressing your personality and everything else for your religion. The problem is: it's hard to know, if they choose it for themselves or not, since they have been introduced to it as a kid.
As I said: Christianity, and therefore our society that was heavily influenced by it, is built to judge you for being a human.
Dec 15, 2019 5:01 AM

Sep 2018
No, it's just brainwashing into people that only the church can save you from hell. Of course the downside is that people who believe it, ie priests think they can fiddle 8 year old boys and then be forgiven after.

It's a very dangerous thing to say.
Dec 15, 2019 7:18 AM

Nov 2013
The purpose is to promote reform for the sake of social stability, as well as to promote and take advantage of guilt to become culturally attached to the church. A good method of control.

This way you don't have people thinking they've done something so bad they cannot try and change themselves for the better and will try and help others to do it, and that increases stability in a society, in their eyes.

I can see you

Dec 15, 2019 9:30 AM

May 2013
I don't see any need to fear or avoid sin.

It's true that some religious figures have used the concept of sin to control people, someone who is afraid to sin can be told what to think very easily.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Dec 15, 2019 1:43 PM

Aug 2013
The curious thing is than the tegret isn't depend from a more mature thought, but from the fear of a eternal punishment, and sincerely I think than also in the past when people was generally more near to religion, many of this didn't believe really to paradise and hell, because if you think there is a place like hell, you do attention to your actions :D
Dec 15, 2019 3:01 PM
Dec 2019
These posts are making me kind of sad. It pains me to see how Christians fail to communicate their religion. I was not always a Christian (wasn’t even a real one until three years ago), but I have honestly never felt such freedom and lack of fear than I have these past few years. I feel like the shackles that used to be around me are now broken. God can and will set you free! I almost don’t like how it has turned into a “religion”. I mean, Jesus never said “Hey, I’ve come to start a religion!” Haha, but in all seriousness, Jesus didn’t want this. He didn’t want us to be so separated, in my opinion. I really hope that all religions, or lack thereof, will come to see eye to eye. Sorry for the rant...
Dec 15, 2019 3:12 PM

Oct 2017
Think of it more of an apology: if you truly do apologise for something, then you can be reformed as a person. Reforming obviously exists and bad people can essentially become better people. And if you apologise falsely, then that isn't even 'apologising' in the first place. Forgiveness isn't just a word, but a promise that said bad thing shouldn't occur again.
And I don't think that people are intentionally going to do bad knowing that it is bad, just then to 'ask for forgiveness'. That just makes no sense. Obviously, it's trying to comfort people when they make 'accidents' to stop them from guilting themselves too much and to overcome the sins.

Maneki-Mew said:
I remember that we were being told that being vain (vain like caring for your appearance or having a lot of self-esteem) is bad
Vanity is extremely close to narcissism, not just caring for your health.

@UnipolarUnicorn you sound like a very honourable person. I appreciate that. Positivity doesn't seem to coexist with theists and atheists as it should.
BunilleDec 15, 2019 3:19 PM
Dec 15, 2019 4:01 PM
Jul 2018
Bunille said:

Maneki-Mew said:
I remember that we were being told that being vain (vain like caring for your appearance or having a lot of self-esteem) is bad
Vanity is extremely close to narcissism, not just caring for your health.

I remember that old and seemingly very religious teacher that tried to forbid / talk us out of using make-up and "skimpy" clothes when we were like 14 and that was very uncomfortable to listen to. At one point she told us that modest girls shouldn't look like whores (to a female student dafuq, needless to say she keeps looking like a "whore" lol) and care about their appearance so much. I heard that from other religious people "I don't use make-up and don't care too much about my appearance, because God doesn't like it, if I draw too much attention to myself." To each their own, but sorry it's like being an adult and still asking your dad what you are allowed to wear and do.
Modesty is, not only about your appearance, something that is trained into us that we should strive for to keep people's self-esteem low and don't let them feel free and self-confident, that's why inmodesty and pride etc are looked down to.
Of course such an old teacher only repeats what she has learned herself as a kid and so the circle keeps going. If some religious people want to follow this rule for themselves: fine. But since Christianity had a great impact on our culture, I don't want to see it's mindset around anymore so often in people.
Dec 15, 2019 4:24 PM

Oct 2017
@Maneki-Mew And... do all religious people think that way? Do any non-religious people think that way? The answer is yes to the latter and you are objectifying.

"Of course such an old teacher only repeats what she has learned herself as a kid" - that can be said for literally everyone. One who knows nothing can understand nothing. Just as much as one who knows something can only understand that certain something. People only speak of as much as they know and were growing up with, because that's them, whether good or bad. If it isn't stoning, trust me, it's not that bad.
Dec 15, 2019 5:04 PM
Jul 2018
Bunille said:
@Maneki-Mew And... do all religious people think that way? Do any non-religious people think that way? The answer is yes to the latter and you are objectifying.
[spoiler="nothing to do with religion"]I, myself, am agnostic and slightly agree with their opinion. It's a given that girls will get sexually assaulted if they expose skin. Guys' hormones just work like that, and teenagers don't have the utmost of dignity. They just want the girls to not 'sleep around' or look like they're trying to, per se. That's still a given, considering that some mating habits with animals involve the beauty of one's appearance. You can't blame r-
And makeup is not your true self. I'm okay with people using it, but it's essentially a drug because it modifies you and it can become addictive. I know it's not, but it works like one. I think it's a waste of money and that we should accept our true faces instead of peer pressure into looking society's defined shape of "beauty".
Fathers are there to look after you, just as much as we want you to look after yourselves; properly.

Do all religious people think that way? No, but surely more.
Do all non-religious people think other way? No, but they are less of them.
"Guys hormones just work like that." No, they don't, believe me, I will know this better (since I take pride, even if many people don't like that wird / trait, in stuff I studied for years) and I'm sick of that unscientific and sexist shit. The truth is: people are trained to believe that unscientific shit, because it's repeated all over again.

The true self is that, what you want to show the world. You can't help, if you don't like your hair color or fancy mini skirts or make up or anything. All of this is its own kind of art and a big part of your self-expression.
The old modesty-belief is just taking the freedom and pride of especially young women away and tell them they shouldn't be, although they should get a free choice how they choose their self-expression.

Bunille said:

"Of course such an old teacher only repeats what she has learned herself as a kid" - that can be said for literally everyone. One who knows nothing can understand nothing. Just as much as one who knows something can only understand that certain something. People only speak of as much as they know and were growing up with, because that's them, whether good or bad. If it isn't stoning, trust me, it's not that bad.

It is bad. Just because you have been brought up one way, doesn't mean you couldn't question it and step out of your line.
I understand for old people (kind of). You could question ideals that are made millenials ago.
Dec 15, 2019 5:09 PM

Jan 2009
the lesser evil or less severe wrongdoings should be forgiven imo but greater evil like genocide that Hitler wants? ye that is unforgivable
Dec 15, 2019 5:52 PM

Oct 2017
Maneki-Mew said:
Do all religious people think that way? No, but surely more.
Do all non-religious people think other way? No, but they are less of them.
"Guys hormones just work like that." No, they don't, believe me, I will know this better (since I take pride, even if many people don't like that wird / trait, in stuff I studied for years) and I'm sick of that unscientific and sexist shit. The truth is: people are trained to believe that unscientific shit, because it's repeated all over again.
U p b r i n g i n g s.
Please, forcing someone to change for the 'better' is not easy at all. Definitely not if it's a childhood belief. Rejecting religion would be as if rejecting their own family, and also rejecting the God they ever-so worship.
And it's peer pressure. I know it's not going crazy. Obviously. But tendencies for lust is a thing for young people; especially boys. Male sex drive peaks at a younger age than female sex drive does. If children are not taught to not do things like that as a young teenager, maybe even younger, then you're asking for trouble. Children are too inquisitive and will ruin themselves during their processing development.
What is the true scientific thing, then?

Maneki-Mew said:
The true self is that, what you want to show the world. You can't help, if you don't like your hair color or fancy mini skirts or make up or anything. All of this is its own kind of art and a big part of your self-expression.
The old modesty-belief is just taking the freedom and pride of especially young women away and tell them they shouldn't be, although they should get a free choice how they choose their self-expression.
Yes, but also no. We've evolved to be these materialistic beings that derive pleasure from objects that generally come to free for us when we never made or blueprinted them in the first place.
Hair colour doesn't change into a green naturally, no matter what. It's all just immensely unnatural. And by the way, imagine having not even enough money to feed yourself. I don't think those people will be wanting those kinds of things anytime soon; they just want something in their hands that can make them survive and stay healthy enough.
Now that's what I call a 2019 feminist. I'm joking.
Free choice, yes, but to not embarrass yourself or to turn your gender into a dragon.
By the way, your true self is who you were born as; not who you aspire to become.
My sig also states similar.

Maneki-Mew said:
It is bad. Just because you have been brought up one way, doesn't mean you couldn't question it and step out of your line.
I understand for old people (kind of). You could question ideals that are made millenials ago.
And do you know how immensely difficult that is? You can't just tell someone to not do something, it doesn't work like that. Oh, I've tried.
And they have been my age, so it has nothing to do with older people; older people just have the most differing opinions than us, and that's why we notice it more. (Why can I still think at almost 2am? Quoting confuses me, quite off-topic.)
BunilleDec 15, 2019 5:56 PM
Dec 15, 2019 6:23 PM

May 2016
Playing God's advocate (lol) for a second here:

It's not about simply confessing/repenting.
It has to be real, from the bottom of your mind, heart and soul.
A true realization that you did things you should never had, along with the promisse of change (which, at that point, it techinically already started happening).

For God, heaven and hell are not about you having sinned or not, is about whether there's enough "good" within you or not.

To truly and wholeheartedly regret your sins, for God, is a sign that there's still enough "good" within you that your soul can yet be saved.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Dec 15, 2019 7:18 PM

Mar 2019
Christianity is a religion of forgiveness. They believe if you have a genuine change of heart and want to be a better person that you should be forgiven for whoever you were in the past.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 15, 2019 7:46 PM

Mar 2008
149597871 said:
According to Christianity your whole existence is one big sin because your parents have had sex in order to conceive you unlike Virgin Mary and her immaculate conception by the Holy Spirit (not the AV).

Now you should spend your life according to jehova's will else you go to hell for a perpetual spanking and if you manage to please him he will let you have sex with his entire harem in kingdom come for all eternity. The Christian way.

Basically you should refrain from sinning in the years you are alive for the promise of everlasting debauchery in the afterlife.

Interestingly I haven't seen acknowledgement of people born of invetrofertilization since technically they are born without the original sin which seems to be sex if you take Genesis as symbolic.
Dec 15, 2019 7:54 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
traed said:
149597871 said:

Interestingly I haven't seen acknowledgement of people born of invetrofertilization since technically they are born without the original sin which seems to be sex if you take Genesis as symbolic.

There might be some controversies but it is considered a sin as well since it is some sort of cheating and "playing god", etc.
Dec 15, 2019 9:50 PM

May 2019
I'm more about restorative and reformative justice than punitive. If you've wronged someone, you've adequately made up for it after changing your behavior and having given proper restitution to the person you wronged. The notion that belief in God is sufficient and/or necessary in order to avoid torment and reach paradise is something I find far more reprehensible than the limited sense in which God is forgiving.
Dec 16, 2019 12:45 AM
Jul 2018
traed said:
149597871 said:

Lol that's great. Just make a kid like this and tell them they doesn't need to stick to god's rules yet everyone else must follow them.

149597871 said:
[quote=traed
to Christianity your whole existence is one big sin because your parents have had sex in order to conceive you unlike Virgin Mary and her immaculate conception by the Holy Spirit (not the AV).

Interestingly I haven't seen acknowledgement of people born of invetrofertilization since technically they are born without the original sin which seems to be sex if you take Genesis as symbolic.[/quote]

There might be some controversies but it is considered a sin as well since it is some sort of cheating and "playing god", etc. [/quote]
There is surely nothing about it in the bible.
Dec 16, 2019 1:09 AM

Aug 2016
God: This man is terrible, I will reserve a spot for anyone who ends his reign of terror!

Hitler: I'm gonna do what's called a "pro gamer move"..
Dec 16, 2019 1:46 AM
Jul 2018
Viltas said:
God: This man is terrible, I will reserve a spot for anyone who ends his reign of terror!

Ha no! Suicide is a terrible sin.

... unfortunately. People are so desperated that they commit suicide, but the loving christianity will burn their soul for not seeing another way out.
Dec 16, 2019 3:04 AM

Aug 2016
Maneki-Mew said:
Viltas said:

... unfortunately. People are so desperated that they commit suicide, but the loving christianity will burn their soul for not seeing another way out.

Some churches reject the idea of seeing suicide as a sin these days. But in general it makes perfect sense why it is interpreted as one. I agree with Augustines interpretation. Following the commandment not to kill is definitely including suicide.

But we live in relatively tame times. After all, commiting suicide at some point meant that you would be denied a christian burial and attempting one often resulted in excommunication. Obviously that is a terribly cold aspect of christianity, I've never been a literal interpreter of religion anyways. I see it as something enriching when interpreted accordingly and adaptively regardless.

Also edit: With Augustines interpretation, a firm believer can see this as a definite source of strength. After all, what better way to appreciate your life than boundaries that entirely reject the act? But it being the psychological difficulty it is, I can definitely see why it adds to the isolation.
Dec 16, 2019 3:13 AM
Jul 2018
Bayek said:
Uhh, yeah. It's called the Jesus Christ. He died as the perfect sacrifice to wash away our sins and He rose again as proof that sin has been overcome.

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Jesus is King. Don't be a cringe atheist and burn in hell for all of eternity because you blasphemed Christ on an anime forum.

This. Though OP didn’t mention Jesus so I am assuming he is / was a catholic.

Jesus died for our sins. But you need to pray for forgiveness and you need to believe in Jesus to be saved. You need to ask for Jesus to come into your heart. (Not you Bayek, sometimes when I quote someone and agree with them I then start to respond to the OP again)
Dec 16, 2019 3:31 AM
Jul 2018
Viltas said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Some churches reject the idea of seeing suicide as a sin these days. But in general it makes perfect sense why it is interpreted as one. I agree with Augustines interpretation. Following the commandment not to kill is definitely including suicide.

But we live in relatively tame times. After all, commiting suicide at some point meant that you would be denied a christian burial and attempting one often resulted in excommunication. Obviously that is a terribly cold aspect of christianity, I've never been a literal interpreter of religion anyways. I see it as something enriching when interpreted accordingly and adaptively regardless.

Also edit: With Augustines interpretation, a firm believer can see this as a definite source of strength. After all, what better way to appreciate your life than boundaries that entirely reject the act? But it being the psychological difficulty it is, I can definitely see why it adds to the isolation.

Yeah I know, I also knew very nice pastors / priests / religion teachers, but all of them had a very loose interpretation of ... well everything in their religion.
Dec 16, 2019 3:31 AM
Jun 2019
@--ALEX--

As someone who is raised Christian, Your bound to ask these critical questions...Not to mention, your belief is bound to be on an on/off basis...it is a battle of logic vs faith...if logic wins...u doubt ur beliefs...
God's wisdom is infinite...therefore u cannot comprehend it...<<thats what christians believe...

I'm on the logic side....
Bcoz if i were faithful...i would have never been on this site updating my lists...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anyone had a Drought Emergancy declared for their area?

vasipi4946 - 3 minutes ago

0 by vasipi4946 »»
3 minutes ago

» What hobbies, skills, or common views do you wish a significant other had?

IpreferEcchi - 32 minutes ago

3 by LightWorker »»
8 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - 4 hours ago

14 by FanofAction »»
22 minutes ago

» What's a book opinion that if someone had you would disown them?

vasipi4946 - Mar 30

42 by vasipi4946 »»
30 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - 8 hours ago

13 by DreamingBeats »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.