Forum Settings
Forums

what are the top 3 most dissapointing 2019 anime you watched this year?

New
Dec 13, 2019 9:14 AM

Jul 2017
i'm not talking about bad anime that you 've already labeled as worthless to watch but the ones that you thought are good and you would enjoy but they ended up dissapointing you instead

anime from 2019 that you highly anticipated yet you are dissapointed by them either because they fall off episodes after/ or in the second half of the anime or they are just unenjoyable that they do not live up to their hype

for me it's
1. one punch man s2

totally dissapointed. the drop in production quality and consistency is pretty evident in every episode. The story kinda sucks too imo

2. the rising of the shield hero

basically a heavily embellished cheap isekai harem show. most of the characters are awfully written and lack development.

3. dororo

overall it's still a solid show but it constantly falls off as the story progresses. the ending kind of ruins the viewing experience for me.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 13, 2019 9:24 AM
Jul 2018
1. Oresuki - it ended up being your typical generic harem with an unlikable protagonist and a group of girls I could care less about.

2. Kono Oto Tomare! - it's not bad, but I expected more from the story than a romance/drama. I don't mind romance/drama if it's supposed to be the main selling point of the story or if it takes a backseat to the actual plot.

3. Senryuu Shoujo - not bad just really really boring.
Dec 13, 2019 9:28 AM

Nov 2016
Gunjou no Magmell
Cop Craft
Araburu

Not saying that they were completely bad, but they really trashed my expectations towards the end.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 13, 2019 9:31 AM

Oct 2019
Blade of the Immortal

The new season for the Seven Deadly Sins

Rising of the shield Hero
Dec 13, 2019 9:36 AM

Sep 2018
-Mae- said:
1. Oresuki - it ended up being your typical generic harem with an unlikable protagonist and a group of girls I could care less about.

2. Kono Oto Tomare! - it's not bad, but I expected more from the story than a romance/drama. I don't mind romance/drama if it's supposed to be the main selling point of the story or if it takes a backseat to the actual plot.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I am going to after to disagree with your reasoning for Ore Suki and Kono Oto Tomare!

The whole point of Ore Suki is to be a generic harem where it just pokes fun at the cliche the entire time.

And Kono Oto Tomare! is primarily supposed to be drama based wherein all the characters are experiencing their own issues in life while pursuing a group objective achieved through the Koto. I'm up to date on the Manga, and to say it's romance focused is incorrect. Are there indications of romance? Absolutely, but if anything it's the tertiary focus of the show.
Blanks.
Dec 13, 2019 9:36 AM

Apr 2016
* Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari
* Carole & Tuesday

* Nanatsu no Taizai 3

Dec 13, 2019 9:39 AM

May 2017
No Guns Life

Blade of the Immortal

Fire Force

I thought the premise for all of them was cool, but over time, very few of the characters in any of them connected with me.
Dec 13, 2019 9:40 AM
Jul 2018
I dropped Fire Force, No Guns Life and Carole & Tuesday so those.

Of those I completed, only Lord el-Melloi truly disappointed me.
Dec 13, 2019 9:41 AM

Sep 2018
1. One Punch Man Season 2 (BY A MILE)

That was the only MAJOR disappointment for me. Of course there were a lot of average anime, but I didnt really have high expectations for them
Blanks.
Dec 13, 2019 9:43 AM

Mar 2018
Joshikausei - abysmally lazy animation, considering the fact that episodes were just 3 minutes long

UchiMusume - started off good, but coining just on main heroine's cuteness without much other substance + introducing one of the most annoying side characters I've ever seen in anime really ticked me off

Shokugeki - Power Point-tier animation and repeating plot
Dec 13, 2019 9:44 AM

Dec 2018
I am yet to watch any disappointing anime of this year yet, though One Punch Man Season 2 and Food Wars Season 4 so far have punch under their weight....but both of them are still good & really overhated IMO.
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson, they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary. You can't gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you'll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah... a heart made full-metal."

~Edward Elric
Dec 13, 2019 9:45 AM

Nov 2008
I would say Stand By My Heroes....but I didn't really have expectations in the first place. xD

Most of the year's anime has pleasantly surprised me, on the other hand.

Dec 13, 2019 9:45 AM

Apr 2017
I'm not saying it was "disappointing"

But to be honest I expected a bit more from Tate no Yuusha
Dec 13, 2019 9:46 AM

Jul 2017
BallisticRiot said:
1. One Punch Man Season 2 (BY A MILE)

That was the only MAJOR disappointment for me. Of course there were a lot of average anime, but I didnt really have high expectations for them

many might disagree with me but I do shift the blame to the studio change.
The drop in production quality kinda ruins the viewing experience for me since i believe most people are watching it for the action sequences like me.
Dec 13, 2019 9:48 AM

Jan 2018
1. OPM season 2 easily. Why did JC Staff have to be the ones who took it over

2. No Guns Life has been incredibly boring

3. As much as people hyped it, I barely cared for Kaguya-sama. Guess it's not my brand of comedy
What a beautiful Duwang
Dec 13, 2019 9:48 AM

Oct 2018
1.Arifureta
2.Arifureta
3.Arifureta
HM: Arifureta

And I'd also like to add Arifureta to the list
Dec 13, 2019 9:50 AM

Aug 2015
3 Carol and Tuesday
2 Fairy Gone
1 Fire Force

Dec 2016
"Disappointing" means there were expectations to begin with. Of those with my highest expectations, these anime were the ones that failed to meet them the most:

One Punch Man S2
Arifureta
Rainy Cocoa Side G
⭑・゚゚・*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿  Umehara is my daily dopamine  ✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑

Jul 2017
Nefregar said:
Joshikausei - abysmally lazy animation, considering the fact that episodes were just 3 minutes long

UchiMusume - started off good, but coining just on main heroine's cuteness without much other substance + introducing one of the most annoying side characters I've ever seen in anime really ticked me off

Shokugeki - Power Point-tier animation and repeating plot

can't agree with you more on shokugeki
shokugeki at first glance is pretty interesting
I quite enjoyed the the first 2 seasons but the outcomes of the battles have become more and more predictable as the story progresses
Dec 13, 2019 9:54 AM
Apr 2016
Rising of the shield hero.
Kimetsu no Yaiba (not that I watched it past episode 2)
Dororo, likely. It was good for what it was, but clearly without Tezuka his stories cannot be told with full potential unleashed.
ENEN NO SHOUBOUTAI. Utter failure. And from someone apparently veteran.
Daniel_NaumovDec 13, 2019 10:00 AM
Re:formed
Dec 13, 2019 10:14 AM
Jul 2018
BallisticRiot said:
-Mae- said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I am going to after to disagree with your reasoning for Ore Suki and Kono Oto Tomare!

The whole point of Ore Suki is to be a generic harem where it just pokes fun at the cliche the entire time.

And Kono Oto Tomare! is primarily supposed to be drama based wherein all the characters are experiencing their own issues in life while pursuing a group objective achieved through the Koto. I'm up to date on the Manga, and to say it's romance focused is incorrect. Are there indications of romance? Absolutely, but if anything it's the tertiary focus of the show.

I'll keep your Kono Oto Tomare! point in mind since I do want to like the series.

As for Oresuki, I feel like it's a loss cause for me. Even if it is done in a way to jab at the harem genre, it's utterly unbearable for me to watch. I can't stand any of the characters and the humor doesn't do it for me.
Dec 13, 2019 10:22 AM

Sep 2019
Demon Slayer - I was enjoying it until Zenitsu and Inosuke showed up, then I dropped it.

No Guns Life - Looked interesting on the cover, couldn't get past the first episode.

Midnight Occult Civil Servants - Yawn. Lost interest.
Dec 13, 2019 10:39 AM

Sep 2018
Dororo
I really enjoyed the anime, but the later half was disappointing

Mom isekai
It was funny, but the final arc was pretty dull.

One Punch Man season 2
I enjoyed the anime, but Tatsumaki got barely any screentime. Saitama got shafted in his mc status.
Dec 13, 2019 11:00 AM

Jan 2017
Kimetsu no Yaiba: The first episode was decent, but after that the story and characters fell flat (for the most part at least)

Shield Hero: I was not exactly hyped for it but was at least looking forward to it. It turned out to be pretty dumb right from the first episode.

Fire Force: Same as Kimetsu no Yaiba
Dec 13, 2019 11:09 AM

Aug 2017
1) Kanata no Astra. Good premise, several plot holes and annoying pacing.

2) Carole & Tuesday. It became a nonsense political anime in the second half.

3) Dr Stone. It's not bad except for the first 6 episodes but I expected much more overall.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 13, 2019 3:08 PM

Oct 2008
2019 was sadly filled with crap shows, even though its the year I found both a 9/10 and a 10/10 anime series. It might end up the year with the overall lowest score in my opinion.

4.Maou-sama Retry
3.Shoumetsu Toshi
2.Isekai Cheat Magician
1.Tsuujou Kougeki ga Zentai Kougeki de Ni-kai Kougeki no Okaasan wa Suki Desu ka?
Dec 13, 2019 6:22 PM

May 2016
1. Cop Craft - I still enjoyed it overall, but I feel the animation and random pacing to it really didn't sit well with me.

2. BEM - I thought it could be a cool idea and setting, but it's execution was way off. Very poor animation, boring plot that ended really quick, no real world building.

3. Date a Live 3 - It was awhile since I last watched season 2 and I was excited for this sequel, but that wasn't what I wanted from a sequel.
Dec 13, 2019 6:48 PM

Aug 2018
Kanata no Astra
Fire Force
Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari
Dec 13, 2019 7:04 PM

Aug 2018
Dr.Stone - started good, it got kinda boring. Still decent tho.
Fairy Gone - started good, almost dropped it and then got a bit decent in the second season... still disappointing considering how good the premise and setting is.
Promised neverland - started boring and ended up being boring... a shounen that tries to act like a seinen but ends up having all the shounen troupes. I believe that this is a show oriented towards young people that want to act mature.
Dec 13, 2019 7:06 PM

Aug 2018
zieek said:

4.Maou-sama Retry
3.Shoumetsu Toshi
2.Isekai Cheat Magician
1.Tsuujou Kougeki ga Zentai Kougeki de Ni-kai Kougeki no Okaasan wa Suki Desu ka?

HOW THE FUCK DID YOU EVEN GOT HOPES FOR THOSE SHOWS? They looked bad since the beginning.
Dec 13, 2019 7:07 PM

May 2017
1. One punch man, people know what the problem is
2. Kenja no mago, the story is shit
3. nanatsu no taizai, yes
Dec 13, 2019 7:19 PM

Jan 2016
Black Fox: As a huge fan of Flip Flappers and Princess Principal and even somewhat liking SAO Alternative: GGO, I was looking forward to 3Hz's next original anime and it just did not deliver. It neither had the gorgeous animation to be stunning on that front nor even really the creativity to be engaging there either. If it was a TV show, I might be kinder on it, especially since it would probably alleviate the pacing and maybe have a more conclusive ending, but as a movie, it's underwhelming to say the least.

Boogiepop and Others: I actually have a soft spot for this one, but as the team from One Punch Man adapting an LN classic, it's not *that* good. If you like puzzle story telling and figuring out a plot from multiple perspectives you'll probably like it (that's why I do) but it's hard to say it's any better than fine, and I feel it could've been more.

Cop Craft: Decent premise and leads that play well off each other, but half the time does not know what to do with itself. Honestly don't know what to say, it does a great job selling you on its premise in the first 2 episodes but then proceeds to disappoint afterwards and while having decent moments never quite fully makes up for it.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Dec 13, 2019 7:32 PM

Jul 2015
OPM Season 2

Arifureta

NNT season 3.

Dec 13, 2019 7:47 PM

Feb 2018
3. Kenja no Mago

The manga was already at the edge of inoffensive but flawed, however, the anime somehow managed to knock it down to squarely mediocre. Every episode was suffering for one reason or another, but I was half expecting this to happen so I wasn't as disappointed as with the others.

2. Assassins Pride

Wasn't expecting much, was initially pleasantly surprised by the cool world-building, but then cliche storytelling and pacing botched it heavily. Like, the pacing of that show is so unbelievably fast that it becomes a conveyer belt of big emotional moments that have little to no setup. And to be honest, the cliches wouldn't have been nearly as big an issue if the show just slowed down and actually built upon its strengths. It did have the makings of a competent story in the beginning at least.

3. Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne!

I love self-referential humor, but pointing what your doing is cliche and doing it anyway isn't funny. It's just a poor attempt at covering up the story's lack of creativity with a shoddy facsimile of "comedy. Also, the main character literally doing nothing to defend herself or others in fights until someone calls her flat makes her look like both stupid and inconsiderate of others' safety. In other words, not funny in the slightest, dropped after episode 1.

As harsh as any of that may have sounded, gotta admit that this was pretty good. Sure I hated some stuff in it, but I still wouldn't call any of it much worse than mediocre.

"If it's not big, it's only a bust," some guy on the internet
Dec 13, 2019 8:48 PM
Jul 2018
Hoshiai no Sora

I follow some of the animators for it on Twitter and I was under the impression it'd be a good friendship/sports anime.

In the end it's just edgy drama that feels forced and overdone most of the time.
Dec 13, 2019 8:53 PM
Jul 2018
1. dororo

2. Bungou Stray Dogs 3rd season

3. Cop Craft / K. sherlock

idk why people including opm s2 (or had any expectations at all?) because it was already bound to be bad just from the uninteresting trailer.
Dec 13, 2019 9:16 PM

Dec 2017
Fire Force and One Punch Man S2 are definitely my biggest letdowns, Fire Force more so by a wide margin. So much potential squandered on incomprehensible direction and a story I could have written better when I was twelve.

I'd also say Shield Hero, but honestly, I never had that much hope in Shield Hero to begin with, so it didn't so much disappoint me as fulfill my expectations.
Dec 13, 2019 11:09 PM

Oct 2008
DaCraziGuy said:

HOW THE FUCK DID YOU EVEN GOT HOPES FOR THOSE SHOWS? They looked bad since the beginning.

Well Maou-sama Retry did not look so bad, at the begining at least.

Shoumetsu Toshi - also looked fine, and then it wasn't.

The other two were... well horrible would be an understatement, so abysmal is accurate I think.
Dec 13, 2019 11:26 PM
🥚

Feb 2016
1. Gunjou no Magmel (Was looking forward to this most-)
2. Fairy Gone
3. Shoumetsu Toshi

They all seemed like they would be so good then turned into a shit show basically.

"If you want to change the future, you only need to choose now. Now, believe in yourself and break the egg."

🌻

Anime|Manga|Last.fm|Letterboxd
Dec 13, 2019 11:39 PM
Jan 2018
Shield Hero
Dororo
Vinland Saga

I wasn't expecting much from Demon Slayer, OPM2, etc.
Dec 13, 2019 11:42 PM
Jan 2018
MaskOfIce said:
Black Fox: As a huge fan of Flip Flappers and Princess Principal and even somewhat liking SAO Alternative: GGO, I was looking forward to 3Hz's next original anime and it just did not deliver. It neither had the gorgeous animation to be stunning on that front nor even really the creativity to be engaging there either. If it was a TV show, I might be kinder on it, especially since it would probably alleviate the pacing and maybe have a more conclusive ending, but as a movie, it's underwhelming to say the least.

Oh god, yes.
I would have mentioned it, but I didn't even remember it. It's so forgettable.
Dec 13, 2019 11:50 PM
Jan 2017
Jus1294 said:

3. As much as people hyped it, I barely cared for Kaguya-sama. Guess it's not my brand of comedy

Yeah, same here... damn was Kaguya-sama such a nothing who didn't inspire me any emotion.
Dec 14, 2019 12:02 AM

Oct 2017
One Punch Man 2
Nanatsu no Taizai 3 and
Kakeguruixx the first season is passable to see with some boring games,it's crap yes, but at least it had interesting scenes, i hoped it was better the second season and not, introduced more forgettable secondary characters,more boring games, final boss pathetic meh it is still a pretentious edgy series
the only thing because I saw it complete was by yumeko and maybe other characters, probably my worst anime of the year.
RamTrinity98Dec 14, 2019 12:15 AM
Dec 14, 2019 12:05 AM
Aug 2017
1. Fire force. From the promotional pvs it looked great. The animation was awesome. I thought it could be a good competitor for bnha but then it started and I saw all the pacing and direction issues with it, not to mention the stale comedy.

2. Rising of shield hero- the first 1h ep really impressed and I thought they can really pull off this fallen hero route. But after 3-4 eps I realized it's just a generic isekai with a hook to grab viewers. The royal family was comically bad, the heros were plain stupid to continue the plot. Naofumi was stupid dealing with the other heros. All in all it was just a avg. isekai show.
Dec 14, 2019 12:42 AM
Jun 2015
Sheild Hero. Good start with the MC as an underdog...then it became Sheild art online and insta drop
Dec 14, 2019 12:51 AM

Jun 2019
1 Gunjou no Magmell
2 Arifureta
3 Cop Craft
Dec 14, 2019 12:51 AM

Dec 2018
Houkago Saikoro Club , Trying to be a cute girls show but have more males then females in it? And the males constantly trying to climb the females!! Are you fucking kidding me!!! No!! The girls belongs to me! I dont share them I only accept lesbian love!! Dropped

Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen .. A long name for boring as shit,, Unattractive slow moving grey mass without a soul or anything else that makes me wanna watch it

Kimetsu no Yaiba That one could be really good!! But with the male trio constantly running around screaming chasing each other ,It's as enjoyable as a goddamn headache..But the animation are amazing and it have some really good characters,,,But the male trio makes it hard to love it ,, Gave it 5/10 because of that!! Sad to see potential wasted!!

Dec 14, 2019 1:15 AM
Jul 2018
At Kimetsu no Yaiba: I like it a lot and I'm disappointed at the same time.
It's beyond me why you would, as an author, give Tanjirou and Nezuko two such insufferable companions. Their dynamics with Tanjirou are terrible.
Also the comedy was so annoying sometimes.
Besides that I really liked it.

There wasn't something that really disappointed me yet. I mean not something too meaningful to me.
I have to watch a few more anime from this year like Vinland Saga and others. I mean, I could watch some standard Isekai on purpose and claim that they disappointed me, but you have to expect something first to be disappointed lol.
removed-userDec 14, 2019 6:36 PM
Dec 14, 2019 2:52 AM

Sep 2017
i have more than 3 actually, so ill drop these

1. One Punch Man S2

2. Arifureta

3. Fire Force

the others :

Nanatsu No Taizai S3, Shield bro, Araburu, Assassin Pride
Dec 14, 2019 3:04 AM

Dec 2018
1.Arifureta,
its not the shitty animation its more the story that was trash,very boring.
6/10

2.Kimetsu no Yaiba
everyone was talking about it and it had a 8,8 rating so i watched it and it was decent but not as good as most people say.(i had the same problem with FMAB and HxH,both are very overrated)
6/10

3.Dr. Stone
was so fuc.. good the first 10 eps and then the story like paused.i wanted to see how he finds out what happened to earth and what the green light was, instead of this the show got a boring and unfunny sliceoflife shounen.
still 8/10 but very close to a 7/10

also i wanna add that(i think we can all agree on that)this whole yearwas a huge disapointment.i only gave 2 anime a 9/10, the rest was below.

If you rated Jujutsu Kaisen a 10/10, then your opinion is not valid.

AOT>FMAB
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

35 by DesuMaiden »»
9 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 5 hours ago

32 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 8 hours ago

14 by DesuMaiden »»
10 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 6 hours ago

14 by DesuMaiden »»
13 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

17 by DesuMaiden »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.