Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 16, 2019 12:57 PM

Jul 2013
Finally caught up after being busy for a while now. This show desperately needs to announce a 2nd season/cour already. 2 episodes left and they're still creating more drama with the characters. No way all these stuff is gonna get resolved cleanly especially since we also have tennis stuff to worry about. I really like this show. I've been singing praises to it since it aired but the direction it took in the last few episodes has left me in an emotional whiplash. I don't like how it keeps jumping from one situation to another without trying to expand further on any of it. There's a lot of stuff happening and everything just ends in a cliffhanger.

I'm just glad Taiyo's parents aren't scumbags because I would have rolled my eyes so fucking hard if they turned out like that. The stuff with Tsubasa's dad already left a bitter taste in my mouth due to how late it got introduced into the series.
Dec 16, 2019 1:20 PM
Jun 2012
Bibimbapski said:
I still don't know what's the issue between Toma and his mom.

From what I understand Toma is a unwanted child. Either Ryouma had a part in recieving him (like pinching a hole in a condom) or they were going to abort Toma but Ryouma convinced them not to. These are all just a guess.
Dec 16, 2019 5:17 PM

Sep 2018
Taiyo parents is nice! (compare to other parents i this show)

Good that competition already start! I didn't expect them to win though.. but I expect Maki-Shinjo pair will win.
Dec 17, 2019 8:49 PM

Nov 2014
ttcchen said:
it really isn't necessary for every single character to have some kind of sad backstory
like i get it teens often have shitty family life i was a teen before i know that
but the drama is just too much sometimes
and i haven't seen the drama hinder the plot much

like i said last episode, the drama is just getting worse and worse

sure, give us sad backstory, but at least have it affect the plot. like that gray haired guy who locked the girl in the infirmatory, he's obviously stressed out and having mental problems, so that should affect his play. But instead, he was able to play like normal.

And if his mom insists that he quit the soft tennis club, instead of just mentioning that, they should make her actually take action (like follow him and force him to quit) so her words actually weighs something

it's like this show doesn't know if it wants to be a soft tennis show or a show about teen drama. they separate the two so well that neither side affects the other, no matter how stressed a kid is due to family issues, it still doesn't affect his plays. They need to integrate the two sides better so the sad drama backstory actually means something. plus, none of the drama had any sort of conclusion, and more are coming and this show is about to end.
ttcchenDec 17, 2019 8:55 PM
Dec 18, 2019 5:52 AM
Nov 2017
With just two episodes left, I don't like how we haven't gotten any explanation regarding the characters' backstories. Personally, I really want to know if Maki and his father will be meeting again. It feels like with only two episodes left, there's too many things that I need answers to that couldn't possibly fit in just two episodes..

When I realised this fact, I was already done watching the ninth episode, which is kind of late to realise that the story needs some revealing regarding the plot and characters' stories. I really like the typical dramatic backstories but I also like knowing how it'll turn out with more drama because.. I like drama lol.

Since I doubt the two last episodes will fulfill this wish of mine, I can't help but think that there will be pulled a second season.
Dec 24, 2019 3:47 PM

Aug 2011
I think a big problem a lot of people have with this show is the fact that it seems like almost all the parents are super messed up with the exception of Maki's mom, and that creates a lot of unnecessary drama. While I agree that it's kinda unrealistic for every single character to have a bad home life and for all of them to coincidentally be on that same team, I do like that each family is portrayed as having distinct issues. Some parents are just plain abusive like Maki's dad but many others are psychologically and emotionally manipulative (or just overly helicopter-y like Taiyou's) towards their children, and you see the consequences of that and how the kids try their best to work through that through soft tennis. The latter category is extremely common in Asian households and that kind of behavior isn't even seen as abuse like it would be in Western cultures. I think this is why this show really resonates with me despite its flaws in execution, as someone who's had a somewhat emotionally complex relationship with my own parents. Like sometimes I want to reach into the screen to slap the parents for being so selfish and tell the kids to wake up and stop listening to their parents who don't actually have their best interests in mind, but then I realize I wouldn't be able to do the same.
Jan 18, 2020 9:57 PM

Aug 2017
So, we have Toma's mom issues for the last 2 episodes, i guess. Still, he needs to be better integrated into this anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 20, 2020 8:29 AM
Nov 2017
SouthRzVa said:
Really glad this episode was more focused on the sport aspect but on the other hand, it's sad to see how inconsistent the story has become lately. I mean, another episode has passed and Yuu's situation with his mother hasn't been cleared yet and Nao, who was about to snap to a little girl last week, acted like nothing had happened...

Anyways, there are only two episodes left and they still need to:
- Explain Toma's situation with his mother.
- Solve the issue with Maki's father who was supposed to come back yet it looks like he doesn't need money anymore.
- Explain what happened with Yuu's mother.
- Establish whether Nao's plot line will have any conclusion or not.
- Establish Rintarou's reunion with his biological mother because why saying she wants to meet him so suddenly if you are not pretending to make said reunion happen.
- Establish if Tsubasa's family will do something regarding his father's stupid masculinity complex.
- Something between lines was established last episode regarding Shingo's "origins" but I'm not sure if they will give major importance to that matter...
- Explain the reason of why Itsuki's mother poured hot water on him (this is mostly nitpicking since this storyline is beyond dead but it still bothers me that they never gave an specific reason for her behaviour).
- And finally, I guess Mitsue's plot line is solved to some extent but I still find a bit odd the fact that her parents never appeared on screen.

I think I'm still forgetting something but I will leave it here. Sad to think I once considered this series to be my AOTS but well.

She poured water on him due to post partum depression. I feel like that was very clear. She loves him, but at the time she couldnt feel it.its. a pretty common occurence but Japan isnt known for treating mental illness as well as other countries.
Jan 20, 2020 9:20 AM

Jul 2016
Kursed95 said:
SouthRzVa said:
Really glad this episode was more focused on the sport aspect but on the other hand, it's sad to see how inconsistent the story has become lately. I mean, another episode has passed and Yuu's situation with his mother hasn't been cleared yet and Nao, who was about to snap to a little girl last week, acted like nothing had happened...

Anyways, there are only two episodes left and they still need to:
- Explain Toma's situation with his mother.
- Solve the issue with Maki's father who was supposed to come back yet it looks like he doesn't need money anymore.
- Explain what happened with Yuu's mother.
- Establish whether Nao's plot line will have any conclusion or not.
- Establish Rintarou's reunion with his biological mother because why saying she wants to meet him so suddenly if you are not pretending to make said reunion happen.
- Establish if Tsubasa's family will do something regarding his father's stupid masculinity complex.
- Something between lines was established last episode regarding Shingo's "origins" but I'm not sure if they will give major importance to that matter...
- Explain the reason of why Itsuki's mother poured hot water on him (this is mostly nitpicking since this storyline is beyond dead but it still bothers me that they never gave an specific reason for her behaviour).
- And finally, I guess Mitsue's plot line is solved to some extent but I still find a bit odd the fact that her parents never appeared on screen.

I think I'm still forgetting something but I will leave it here. Sad to think I once considered this series to be my AOTS but well.

She poured water on him due to post partum depression. I feel like that was very clear. She loves him, but at the time she couldnt feel it.its. a pretty common occurence but Japan isnt known for treating mental illness as well as other countries.

Yes, that's the theory some of us have but I personally would have liked a real statement instead of having the audience guessing about it.
Again, this point is just me nitpicking.
Feb 4, 2020 12:59 PM

Aug 2018
Great Episode
- Complete -
Feb 21, 2020 4:56 PM

Jun 2014
They always start out great, but then they run out of gas at the end.

It's down to Maki & Touma again. They have to win this, or the soft tennis club is history.

Mar 30, 2020 11:10 AM

Jul 2015
I'm glad Taiyo has such good parents and their relationship is on a good note compared to the others

Well they have really grown as players, from barely being able to compete against the girls team to almost winning matches, looks like the fate of the club rests on the shoulders of their ace pair

Aug 30, 2020 9:14 PM
Oct 2019
Maki sucks.

The first two pairs get out to good starts and "run out of gas" at the end. So lame.
Aug 4, 2021 1:40 PM

Jan 2021
This was pretty good episode. But a bit rushed.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2019

238 by thatguyevan »»
Apr 11, 9:46 PM

» "Special Fan Movie" Has Been Released

zamandzoe - May 20, 2020

22 by quietkun27 »»
Feb 23, 7:16 AM

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

130 by Limi »»
Dec 24, 2023 6:31 AM

» Continuation...

Kurdo - Apr 19, 2021

19 by DmonHiro »»
Nov 25, 2023 4:48 PM

» Some scenes missing in Crunchyroll?

KYSmequick - Oct 15, 2023

3 by heelyfrog »»
Nov 15, 2023 1:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.