Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 11, 2019 2:30 PM

Oct 2019
Kipo0007 said:
Fionavar said:

I know people may have forgotten at this point but believe it or not, Arata is actually a main character. Of course we would focus on his match.

Arata is one of the main characters, why wouldnt they show his match? It didnt not only looked beautiful they also amazing displayed the turmoil inside arata how serious it was and the depth of his character for the first time in all these seasons. He never gets enough screen time.

And just because they belong from the same society and look similar because of the glasses doesnt mean they have similarities or it was boring. Also it was not expected, Arata has lost countless times to murao and as his mentor and senpai ,murao performed the role of bringing arata back to his senses from the dark karuta and the internal struggle which he was going through, and he did all this inspite of being the opponent, which shows character value of a non-main character.
Everyone were looking at them because how the tension in the room rose with such grace with that slap and lightened the atmosphere. Even the Reader smiled as she could understand as well.
Then the humorous Arata's bathroom problems came in and later how it transitioned back to a serious match.
Plus Arata's win wasnt ridiculous, they literally show how he calclulated all the ghost cards and the cards that were read from the future plays that happened and slowly was reducing the lead without murao noticing. Thats why murao says its not just talent, Arata has hard work too and it ended on a happy note.
You are just looking at the surface value, while there is so much depth and value to the scenes depicted in the episode with that match.

I can understand it was disappointing to not see Harada and suo's match which i was looking forward to as well & also other qualifier matches, but just because of that you cant take away the beautiful and intense display of karuta & the relationship between murao and arata.

You need to look more beyond the usual exciting matches and see what it means to the characters and their development and what they try to portray with their games & conversations. Thats what makes this series is so amazing.
But its your perspective at the end. So whatever makes you happy .

Summarized my thoughts perfectly. Honestly people are never satisfied, first they complain about how Arata doesnt have enough screentime and development. Now we finally got both, and they still complain. This episode so far has to be the best of the season yet, and it only gets better and better with each episode.
Dec 11, 2019 4:52 PM

Sep 2011
@Fionavar , @Kipo0007
He was one of the main characters for like first 3 episodes of season 1 and last 3 episodes of season 2 which is 10% of the whole show thus far.
He was/is the main character in Chihaya's and Taichi's head (and viewers' by proxy) from time to time and that's it. The problem with Arata being the main character in Taichi's and Chihaya's head began in last tournament where Arata should definitely stop being the main character in their heads (the image of Arata - being some sort of god of karuta in Chihaya's head, and the image of Arata - being Chihaya's god by being god of karuta in Taichi's head). Same should be for viewers.

By this point Arata should only remain as Shinobu's personal rival to beat and maybe his parent's account potential nemesis depending on circumstances.

The only turmoil inside Arata that was believable and kinda realisticly shown and dealt with was his diarrhea.

Murao's behaviour was indeed great (not his performance during the latter half of their match) if we look at it from the perspective of him being Arata's senior but that is also exactly what made this match boring from the sheer sport's emotion perspective. Why should a spectator care who wins if contestants don't. Unless spectator is a hard MuraoxArata fan.

If Murao had let Arata take those 11 cards back after him coming back from the toilet because he would want to beat Arata while he is playing his best and the only reason of Arata's poor performance in the begining was his stomach problems. That would be perfectly acceptable and understandable for a viewer. Great sportsmanship. Why? Beacuse things like diarrhea are or can easily be considered (although in this case arguable) as accidents which couldn't have been dealt with earlier or later. Arata's head/heart/howeveryoucallthem issues most definitely could.

Similar yet very different situation was in the last tournament where Hiroshi forfeit his match with Chihaya but it was perfectly understandable since they were from the same society and a winner from their match could have met Murao in the final.
Here we have a competition for basically being a world champion. Totally individual matter.
Dec 11, 2019 4:56 PM

Apr 2019
cchigu said:
Monty3610 said:
Dr. Harada beat Sudo?! I mean wanted Harada to win, but at the same time I wanted to see him do it :/ Wonder if'll they show it next episode?
They did mate. In the previous episode.

My bad, I misread it lol.
Dec 11, 2019 5:51 PM

Feb 2011
OMG, THIS EPISODE IS TOTALLY AWESOME: Arata is really focused just the way I love it <3: his match against Murao carried a lot of affections and tense attention of winning really brought Arata a huge challenge he never expected and yes I'm so happy he came through it: THAT'S OUR BOY!!!! Seeing Arata inner thoughts of guilt during the match brought into a field of darkness that reflects Arata's insecurity: for Arata feelings bad looking down of Taichi affected him so much that for a moment he lost focus of the game where he was going through a moment of crisis and brought back his most painful memory of his grandpa's funeral. I'm sure through the time where Arata stopped playing karuta after his grandpa passing that was the image in how he saw the karuta cards throughout the whole time, poor Arata... he must have suffered a lot;_; I can't stand seeing my boy suffering and I hope he doesn't have to go see that phrase again. -_- I'm so grateful that Murao was his opponent who snaps Arata out of it and brought him into the present seeing the light and a beautiful cherry blossom scenery into the field: OMG that scene really brought me into tears. and even after the match where Arata was crying and Musao told Arata to smile: THAT'S SO CUTE: Musao surely is like Arata's big brother he could of have: their bond is so sweet and true. Now the moment is here, Arata will be challenging against Harada at the Meijin challenger match: THE MOST EPIC MATCH OF THE SEASON JUST AWAITS: OMG I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! XD
Dec 11, 2019 7:15 PM
Apr 2018
Linaeris said:
@Fionavar , @Kipo0007
He was one of the main characters for like first 3 episodes of season 1 and last 3 episodes of season 2 which is 10% of the whole show thus far.
He was/is the main character in Chihaya's and Taichi's head (and viewers' by proxy) from time to time and that's it. The problem with Arata being the main character in Taichi's and Chihaya's head began in last tournament where Arata should definitely stop being the main character in their heads (the image of Arata - being some sort of god of karuta in Chihaya's head, and the image of Arata - being Chihaya's god by being god of karuta in Taichi's head). Same should be for viewers.

By this point Arata should only remain as Shinobu's personal rival to beat and maybe his parent's account potential nemesis depending on circumstances.

The only turmoil inside Arata that was believable and kinda realisticly shown and dealt with was his diarrhea.

Murao's behaviour was indeed great (not his performance during the latter half of their match) if we look at it from the perspective of him being Arata's senior but that is also exactly what made this match boring from the sheer sport's emotion perspective. Why should a spectator care who wins if contestants don't. Unless spectator is a hard MuraoxArata fan.

If Murao had let Arata take those 11 cards back after him coming back from the toilet because he would want to beat Arata while he is playing his best and the only reason of Arata's poor performance in the begining was his stomach problems. That would be perfectly acceptable and understandable for a viewer. Great sportsmanship. Why? Beacuse things like diarrhea are or can easily be considered (although in this case arguable) as accidents which couldn't have been dealt with earlier or later. Arata's head/heart/howeveryoucallthem issues most definitely could.

Similar yet very different situation was in the last tournament where Hiroshi forfeit his match with Chihaya but it was perfectly understandable since they were from the same society and a winner from their match could have met Murao in the final.
Here we have a competition for basically being a world champion. Totally individual matter.

Just because he is makes less appearance for both season 1 and season 2 doesnt make him only the main character for those couple of episodes. Lol he has always been part of the main trio, everything started with them. The concept of him being the so called "god" in chihayas and taichis head was because he is a exceptional player from the start in karuta. The whole show is about karuta obviously everything will involved and revolved around it with the characters.

Arata's distance from chihaya & taichi or the screentime or the perception of him being the better godlike player from the other two and the viewers is never gonna change the fact that he will always be a main character. The whole chihafyuru and karuta started when Arata played with chihaya in that closed room. The journey began from there and started building with the three characters slowly.

Only shinobu's rival for what? He wants to become the meijin not the queen. Shinobus main rival is Chihaya, the only rivalry with arata is that she looks upto him and respects him as a good player and wants to defeat him as she always lost to him.
Also he wants to become the best with both chihaya & taichi as well. While they share their bit of rivalry over karuta they all are in some ways inspiring each other to grow and become strong. Thats the main story, which you are clearly overlooking.

The fact you only saw the diarrhea as the main problem, shows with how little interest you saw the episode with a biased view.
Murao was contesting with all his might but he knew something was off about arata and he was not into the karuta game at the moment and not giving the respect the game deserves also to the reader and audience who had come to watch their match with the care of a mentor and also a opponent who wants to fight arata at his best, That's what the spirit of the game is about, which you failed to notice .

Why would he let him take the 11 cards back? he is kind not stupid especially during a important match. Also even the viewers wont be satisfied to see such leniency in a match of that importance because they want to make it realistic and reality is harsh. you dont get such kindness in harsh competitions.
Murao played by the rules and took the cards with this advantage whatever the reason or problems the opponent is having. He cant stop or be lenient just because of the diarrhea which is something he cant help arata with?
The spectators care because they enjoy watching the games, especially for karuta viewers and watching a high intensity game such as the finals is a sight to behold. Regardless who wins, watching two top class players go at each other with amazing display of skills and hard work is what makes it appealing to hem.

Also how can you think muraos performance was poor in the second half? He kept taking cards from arata, Blocked his trademark swipe, sent him cards which put arata at a disadvantage. But Arata rearranged his cards, used his memory for ghost cards and the cards that were read. He strategically and methodically planned out his play. Its not that muraos performance was bad , it was the fact that Arata's game was better and that too realistically and not some bull shit power up.

I dont think you were even paying close attention to the game or you would have noticed all these factors. You just were watching it from a really biased perspective.

Why would you bring Hiroshis forfeit to chihaya. Theres a vast difference not even one bit similar. First of all there were 3 contestants from the same society. And Hiroshi wanted chihaya to rest since he knew at least one of their society members will be in the finals, plus hiroshi was tired himself and Chihaya had the best chance rested.
Arata and Muraos game was the finals they cant let each other forfeit in such a important game. completely illogical.

Sorry to say You are just completely missing the depth of the karuta games, the character development and just looking at the surface. This series is not that transparent that it will give you the plot straight away at your face easily, you have to be patient and look at the bigger picture while conceiving the little details.

Otherwise You cant enjoy or understand the series like this and say you love chihayafuru.

Kipo0007Dec 11, 2019 7:18 PM
Dec 11, 2019 7:22 PM
Apr 2018
Fionavar said:
Kipo0007 said:

Arata is one of the main characters, why wouldnt they show his match? It didnt not only looked beautiful they also amazing displayed the turmoil inside arata how serious it was and the depth of his character for the first time in all these seasons. He never gets enough screen time.

And just because they belong from the same society and look similar because of the glasses doesnt mean they have similarities or it was boring. Also it was not expected, Arata has lost countless times to murao and as his mentor and senpai ,murao performed the role of bringing arata back to his senses from the dark karuta and the internal struggle which he was going through, and he did all this inspite of being the opponent, which shows character value of a non-main character.
Everyone were looking at them because how the tension in the room rose with such grace with that slap and lightened the atmosphere. Even the Reader smiled as she could understand as well.
Then the humorous Arata's bathroom problems came in and later how it transitioned back to a serious match.
Plus Arata's win wasnt ridiculous, they literally show how he calclulated all the ghost cards and the cards that were read from the future plays that happened and slowly was reducing the lead without murao noticing. Thats why murao says its not just talent, Arata has hard work too and it ended on a happy note.
You are just looking at the surface value, while there is so much depth and value to the scenes depicted in the episode with that match.

I can understand it was disappointing to not see Harada and suo's match which i was looking forward to as well & also other qualifier matches, but just because of that you cant take away the beautiful and intense display of karuta & the relationship between murao and arata.

You need to look more beyond the usual exciting matches and see what it means to the characters and their development and what they try to portray with their games & conversations. Thats what makes this series is so amazing.
But its your perspective at the end. So whatever makes you happy .

Summarized my thoughts perfectly. Honestly people are never satisfied, first they complain about how Arata doesnt have enough screentime and development. Now we finally got both, and they still complain. This episode so far has to be the best of the season yet, and it only gets better and better with each episode.

I really dont understand. How can people overllook and just ignore such beautiful games and character development.
This was one of the best episodes with all that beautiful animation and plot delivery.
Still can imagine that calm flowing water animation with those tranquil sounds. Madhouse definitely has in more store for us.
Dec 11, 2019 7:27 PM
Apr 2018
sweetangie said:
OMG, THIS EPISODE IS TOTALLY AWESOME: Arata is really focused just the way I love it <3: his match against Murao carried a lot of affections and tense attention of winning really brought Arata a huge challenge he never expected and yes I'm so happy he came through it: THAT'S OUR BOY!!!! Seeing Arata inner thoughts of guilt during the match brought into a field of darkness that reflects Arata's insecurity: for Arata feelings bad looking down of Taichi affected him so much that for a moment he lost focus of the game where he was going through a moment of crisis and brought back his most painful memory of his grandpa's funeral. I'm sure through the time where Arata stopped playing karuta after his grandpa passing that was the image in how he saw the karuta cards throughout the whole time, poor Arata... he must have suffered a lot;_; I can't stand seeing my boy suffering and I hope he doesn't have to go see that phrase again. -_- I'm so grateful that Murao was his opponent who snaps Arata out of it and brought him into the present seeing the light and a beautiful cherry blossom scenery into the field: OMG that scene really brought me into tears. and even after the match where Arata was crying and Musao told Arata to smile: THAT'S SO CUTE: Musao surely is like Arata's big brother he could of have: their bond is so sweet and true. Now the moment is here, Arata will be challenging against Harada at the Meijin challenger match: THE MOST EPIC MATCH OF THE SEASON JUST AWAITS: OMG I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! XD

Watching Arata cry on in his arms after the match was really emotional
Best part when murao said "smile or ill get depressed",
Arata smiled and then Murao is like "Dont actually smile moron, it will make me more depressed" xD
Dec 11, 2019 7:57 PM

Oct 2017
One of the best episodes till now? I even can't choose any of them because all the episodes to this time were incredible and so enjoyable to me.
What can I say about the job of Madhouse? Just amazing, so beautiful animation and OST, simply perfect.
Next match seems it's gonna be pretty intense, can't wait to see them play it.
-¡Give yourself to me!
Dec 12, 2019 3:07 AM

Oct 2012
This episode made me appreciate the chapter of the manga more. It didn't have the same effect while reading it. It was better and funnier animated but definitely not the best episode of all. At least for me. Kudos to Madhouse for the whole adaptation up till now, following the manga in a very accurate way with some miss outs. Like the first time we see Suou San in the manga is when he speaks to Taichi whearas in the anime that is out....

Of course if you're an Arata fan, it was an episode focused on him on a more personal level. He finally was having some inner struggles pictured,saying "Taichi, you are in my way!". He is as jealous as Taichi, only he is far away and doesn't go through the constant torture Taichi does....anyway it was nice to see some focus on Arata.

After 2 seasons and especially all those team matches, and stuff they go through....I can't help but loving the team, Chihaya and Taichi most.
The fact that Arata is far away and didn't go through all that stuff these last 2 years in manga time just makes him feel distant......which he literally is. It's just too late for me to let him into my heart, even if he's nice or whatever......my focus is already elsewhere.
chiakimagotoDec 12, 2019 8:49 AM
Dec 12, 2019 9:01 AM
Apr 2018
chiakimagoto said:
This episode made me appreciate the chapter of the manga more. It didn't have the same effect while reading it. It was better and funnier animated but definitely not the best episode of all. At least for me. Kudos to Madhouse for the whole adaptation up till now, following the manga in a very accurate way with some miss outs. Like the first time we see Suou San in the manga is when he speaks to Taichi whearas in the anime that is out....

Of course if you're an Arata fan, it was an episode focused on him on a more personal level. He finally was having some inner struggles pictured,saying "Taichi, you are in my way!". He is as jealous as Taichi, only he is far away and doesn't go through the constant torture Taichi does....

After 2 seasons and especially all those team matches, and stuff they go through....I can't help but loving the team, Chihaya and Taichi most.
The fact that Arata is far away and didn't go through all that stuff these last 2 years in manga time just makes him feel distant......which he literally is. It's just too late for me to let him into my heart, even if he's nice or whatever......my focus is already elsewhere.

His level of jealousy cant be compared to taichis. Taichis jealousy goes as far as to try keep Arata and Chihaya away from each other and even when Arata politely asks him as a friend on how to make a karuta team, his insecurity just peaks and he brushes him off. Arata did look down on taichi in terms of karuta but never treated him that way and always considered him as a friend.

Arata has had his share of troubles, his grandfather dying and him suffering alone with his favorite passion karuta dead to him. Plus he didnt have people to support him and cheer him on like taichi does. All his club members, Harada sensei, the society members. Taichi suffers worst sure, but its not like arata didnt go through tough times.

Its never too late to understand a character just because he was kept in the distance for the starting two seasons. Theres a reason people love him because he has that much impact even with less screen time. Just need to have a open mind and give time for the character development. I didnt like taichi at the start for being a selfish bratty kid who bullied arata and wanted to keep chihaya away from him, but he is slowly growing to be a great character and maturing as well, which i am looking forward to.

But then again its your choice whom you like, cant force you. :)
Kipo0007Dec 12, 2019 9:06 AM
Dec 12, 2019 9:59 AM

Sep 2011
@Kipo0007

Only Shinobu's rival because like you mentioned she has never beaten him yet and it clearly irks her with who has the most connection to cards.

From what we have seen so far from Chihaya and Shinobu encounters Shinobu has beaten her mercilessly each time and considers her a player who doesn't give up and doesn't want Shinobu to go easy on her. That is something which most of the players who go against Shinobu don't have and which in Shinobu's mind is enough to consider Chihaya as an interesting player who has skills but is still quite far behind her to treat her as a threat. She sees her as someone who is similarly passionate about karuta as she is and someone who could have been her friend because of karuta, daddy bear.

I am not denying that Murao didn't see that something was wrong with Arata but like I mentioned this should not have place in a serious competition (and there aren't many more serious matches than the one when you are 2 steps from being the best on the planet no matter how niche the game/sport might be) - I mean that Murao should have played against Arata as he always does and not concern himself with opponents inner struggle. After the match was over he could/should, as his mentor/senpai/friend, ask him what was wrong with him and help him as much as he could... but only after the match.

Letting him take back those 11 card would be like saying - ok I understand, you had some serious stomach problems, it can happen to anyone. Everyone could have seen that, everyone would understand especially considering that we are from the same society. From now on lets both do our best and see who is better. That would be perfectly fine in my opinion.

Regardless who wins, lets just have a good match so the spectators can watch some interesting play - you can do that in friendly matches, exhibition matches, trainings etc. In a match with such high stakes you play your best to win, not to show some cool moves (ofc you can show cool moves but the priority should always be winning the match).

You are saying that in such an important game you can't forfeit. Yes, you can. Should you? In most cases - no.
What you can't do is letting your rival helping hand which was exactly what Murao did. You have to be merciless.
You can be kind person but there is no room for that in serious competition.

I do understand the beauty of karuta shown in Chihayafuru (I like to analyse which cards players send from both tactical and poetic point of view and why, how they position their cards, what meaning different cards have to different players, what style of playing suits who the best, even the way characters look). However all in all it is a competitive game which goal is to win. That is why I liked how Taichi went against Chihaya. It wasn't enough to win but he did what he could even though she was his childhood friend, club mate, love interest or whatever.

Arata lost in the quarterfinal of Yoshino tournament to Hiroshi the last time we have seen him (close match, could have gone both ways). And soon after that he beats similar level opponent despite 11-card deficit, stomach issues, psychological turmoil... the only thing missing seems to be while defusing the bomb with one hand and performing brain surgery on himself with the other.
My point is - one just not simply lose an 11-card lead at this level no matter the circumstances.

I don't see a problem with close matches ending up with a luck of a draw, but there is a border you do not cross if you want the story to be believable and this time that border has been crossed in my opinion. It doesn't matter how beautifuly it has been presented or how deep it could have been.

Sorry to say but You are missing an idea of serious competition and it seems that the beauty of the game has clouded Your common sense.

And they could have shown Inokuma vs Yumin and/or Harada vs Sudo and simply inform us that Arata won by two cards - not the other way around. Everything would have been great.
Dec 12, 2019 12:55 PM

Oct 2012
Kipo0007 said:
chiakimagoto said:

Of course if you're an Arata fan, it was an episode focused on him on a more personal level. He finally was having some inner struggles pictured,saying "Taichi, you are in my way!". He is as jealous as Taichi, only he is far away and doesn't go through the constant torture Taichi does....

His level of jealousy cant be compared to taichis. Taichis jealousy goes as far as to try keep Arata and Chihaya away from each other and even when Arata politely asks him as a friend on how to make a karuta team, his insecurity just peaks and he brushes him off. Arata did look down on taichi in terms of karuta but never treated him that way and always considered him as a friend.

Arata has had his share of troubles, his grandfather dying and him suffering alone with his favorite passion karuta dead to him. Plus he didnt have people to support him and cheer him on like taichi does. All his club members, Harada sensei, the society members. Taichi suffers worst sure, but its not like arata didnt go through tough times.

Its never too late to understand a character just because he was kept in the distance for the starting two seasons. Theres a reason people love him because he has that much impact even with less screen time. Just need to have a open mind and give time for the character development. I didnt like taichi at the start for being a selfish bratty kid who bullied arata and wanted to keep chihaya away from him, but he is slowly growing to be a great character and maturing as well, which i am looking forward to.

Yes of course obviously people love Arata; I don't hate him or anything like that but he just wasn't the person in this story that made me love it, dig into the poems, become "passionate" about Chihayafuru......it was always the team's story that pulled me in most and Chihaya and Taichi. Right from the start, even bratty Taichi already caught my attention and not Arata. Preference is inexplanable, I guess. I've tried many times to warm up and understand Arata, I do with my brain but not with my heart.

I think Taichi was already jealous as a child. He probably was already crushing on Chihaya, while Arata has just started to discover his feelings. Taichi has been conscious about them since a long time. I think Taichi has dual feelings for Arata. On one side he admires him, wants to be his friend and on the other he doesn't want him around. I totally understand him. I also read the manga so, I'll stop here....too hard to not spoil, lol.
In the end Arata isn't that different from Taichi.....but that's later
Dec 12, 2019 1:20 PM

Nov 2018
So Harada won. Glad Sudo didn't win.
As always I love whenever Chihayaburu is read.
'Revolution! Counter-revolution!' lol
Mashima coming o the class trip probably also made Chihaya think she could do that too after coming from the competition.
Dec 12, 2019 1:26 PM
Apr 2018
Linaeris said:
@Kipo0007

Only Shinobu's rival because like you mentioned she has never beaten him yet and it clearly irks her with who has the most connection to cards.

From what we have seen so far from Chihaya and Shinobu encounters Shinobu has beaten her mercilessly each time and considers her a player who doesn't give up and doesn't want Shinobu to go easy on her. That is something which most of the players who go against Shinobu don't have and which in Shinobu's mind is enough to consider Chihaya as an interesting player who has skills but is still quite far behind her to treat her as a threat. She sees her as someone who is similarly passionate about karuta as she is and someone who could have been her friend because of karuta, daddy bear.

I am not denying that Murao didn't see that something was wrong with Arata but like I mentioned this should not have place in a serious competition (and there aren't many more serious matches than the one when you are 2 steps from being the best on the planet no matter how niche the game/sport might be) - I mean that Murao should have played against Arata as he always does and not concern himself with opponents inner struggle. After the match was over he could/should, as his mentor/senpai/friend, ask him what was wrong with him and help him as much as he could... but only after the match.

Letting him take back those 11 card would be like saying - ok I understand, you had some serious stomach problems, it can happen to anyone. Everyone could have seen that, everyone would understand especially considering that we are from the same society. From now on lets both do our best and see who is better. That would be perfectly fine in my opinion.

Regardless who wins, lets just have a good match so the spectators can watch some interesting play - you can do that in friendly matches, exhibition matches, trainings etc. In a match with such high stakes you play your best to win, not to show some cool moves (ofc you can show cool moves but the priority should always be winning the match).

You are saying that in such an important game you can't forfeit. Yes, you can. Should you? In most cases - no.
What you can't do is letting your rival helping hand which was exactly what Murao did. You have to be merciless.
You can be kind person but there is no room for that in serious competition.

I do understand the beauty of karuta shown in Chihayafuru (I like to analyse which cards players send from both tactical and poetic point of view and why, how they position their cards, what meaning different cards have to different players, what style of playing suits who the best, even the way characters look). However all in all it is a competitive game which goal is to win. That is why I liked how Taichi went against Chihaya. It wasn't enough to win but he did what he could even though she was his childhood friend, club mate, love interest or whatever.

Arata lost in the quarterfinal of Yoshino tournament to Hiroshi the last time we have seen him (close match, could have gone both ways). And soon after that he beats similar level opponent despite 11-card deficit, stomach issues, psychological turmoil... the only thing missing seems to be while defusing the bomb with one hand and performing brain surgery on himself with the other.
My point is - one just not simply lose an 11-card lead at this level no matter the circumstances.

I don't see a problem with close matches ending up with a luck of a draw, but there is a border you do not cross if you want the story to be believable and this time that border has been crossed in my opinion. It doesn't matter how beautifuly it has been presented or how deep it could have been.

Sorry to say but You are missing an idea of serious competition and it seems that the beauty of the game has clouded Your common sense.

And they could have shown Inokuma vs Yumin and/or Harada vs Sudo and simply inform us that Arata won by two cards - not the other way around. Everything would have been great.

Shinobu and arata have that karuta war going on for a long time, but she fights against him to get stronger because winning against him
is a proof of her strength and she wants to do it for personal reasons as well.
But as far as the main concern of serious karuta competition goes for becoming the queen and defending the queen title, Chihaya and shinobu are rivals as
she knows somewhere chihaya is a threat.Why do you think chihaya trains endlessly with keeping shinobu as the goal?
Yea i know the daddy bear and friendship part is there as well, but the pure rivalry remains.

There is no reason whatsoever for arata's role to only be shinobus rival. absolutely makes no sense as he is aiming for meijin title.

Arata was hardly playing karuta during the early stages and murao did take some advantages at the start even knowing that somethings wrong with arata.
He could have gone on, but the fact is when two people are playing at their best & displaying it with their skills and techniques, they not only are showing their respect
to the viewers, but also showing the opponent their prowess and determination to win, which is a major factor while playing.
All the elements were missing and it was hardly a game of karuta, yea its the finals but when only one player is playing properly and the other is just dawdling around, its
just injustice to the game and to the reader whos reading to them, thats why murao slapped him.

If he had done this after the game, it would hardly be called a game in the first place, not only it drops self esteem of the player who lost but also fails to show the true spirit and competitive nature
of the game. Thats the finals for christ sake, do you understand? They need to show that it should be worthy of calling a finals, not some one sided game where only one player is playing while the other is lost.

And you are saying giving him back 11 cards is okay? There is no excuse for a physical problem, chihaya fought her match against shinobu with a broken finger, did shinobu go easy on her? or gave her free cards? no
Because it would be a disrespect to chihaya whos giving it her all. Thats the seriousness of the competition and you say i am overlooking the serious nature of the competition?
Even Arata wouldn't want him getting handicap for his physical problems.
There are exceptions like when Harada sensei's students were gathering the cards for him during the match. That's reasonable and understandable. Not what you said.

The priority was always winning the match,that's why even with a comfortable big lead murao didnt go easy on him and it was a tough fought match. Arata was the better player at the end. It was properly shown how slowly and strategically he reduced the deficit one by one. Used everything in his arsenal, including his memory which is specially shown how he figured out when chihayafuru was taken the other ghost card was chiragiki (or whatever don't remember the name).

He didnt close the gap one go with some miracle. "Talent and Hard work" He has both which murao quoted, after their match and it was proven.
As for the match between Chihaya and taichi, chihaya was well rested while taichi was tired from battling difficult opponents and plus chihaya is stronger than Taichi, still taichi managed to bring it down to one card, how?
He exploited weakness, used his special forte of defensive karuta etc. Things are explained during the match how they perform even under difficult situations and pressure. Its not by some miracle or power up that a character wins.
That's the best part of this game.

After murao slapped him, he finally calmed his nerves and mind. Only thing was left his diarrhea which got cleared in the second round to the bathroom.
Thats when he was finally able to focus in the game. Yea the after effects might have lingered but he had cleared his mind and started making his plays.
Thats the sign of a pro player.
Its been countless times in other sports when a player makes a comeback with a surprise obstacle, be it mentally or physically, they cant let it get to their head, if he/she wants to win.
Also it depends on the condition of how dire the situation is, like chihaya played with her injured finger and later came to know it was a fracture. she didnt forfeit.
Arata had a diarrhea, if it was something worse he would forcibly had to quit the match or would have stayed in the bathroom for the remainder of the game.
The game would have continued regardless. No mercy or leniency. Thats the seriousnes of the game for you.

I dont know how you failed to see that in this episode particularly in that game.

There is a fine line on believable situations in anime when related to real life situations and in this case it was plausible. Not some God like Miracle.

And dont be sorry my common sense lies fine between the understanding of when the game shows it serious nature and displays the spirit and beauty of it. Also perfectly capable of understanding
and identifying it. You are just too focused on the seriousness and reality of the game that even if its shown infront of you and properly dispalyed with details, you fail to recognize and accept it.

And again i understand that they should have shown more of west queen matches and definitely shown harada & sudos match.

But would they skip the main characters important match and show that he won by 2 cards. Its never done before for any of the trios important matches. So why would they now?
Literally makes zero sense and no nothing would have been great, the viewers would be disappointed not to see aratas final match, because its something rare to see.

Anyways i am done here. I just keep trying to convey what the anime is showing in the episode and almost all the viewers are happy with it and understand it.Its just you are just partially looking
at it with biased opinions, which i really dont understand why. Maybe try watching it again and it might change your views, because i cant force you to. Good day.

Dec 12, 2019 1:41 PM
Apr 2018
chiakimagoto said:
Kipo0007 said:

Yes of course obviously people love Arata; I don't hate him or anything like that but he just wasn't the person in this story that made me love it, dig into the poems, become "passionate" about Chihayafuru......it was always the team's story that pulled me in most and Chihaya and Taichi. Right from the start, even bratty Taichi already caught my attention and not Arata. Preference is inexplanable, I guess. I've tried many times to warm up and understand Arata, I do with my brain but not with my heart.

I think Taichi was already jealous as a child. He probably was already crushing on Chihaya, while Arata has just started to discover his feelings. Taichi has been conscious about them since a long time. I think Taichi has dual feelings for Arata. On one side he admires him, wants to be his friend and on the other he doesn't want him around. I totally understand him. I also read the manga so, I'll stop here....too hard to not spoil, lol.
In the end Arata isn't that different from Taichi.....but that's later

I understand and i know by your statements you dont hate or anything. Just saying Arata was always the pure type and always considered taichi as his friend and always wanted to be with both him and chihaya.
And yea i know somewhere Taichi does love and admires arata as a friend. The fact that he says "He is amazing isnt he?" this episode. But every time his insecurities just pop up which prevent him from being close to arata, which is kinda sad as i would love to see it happen.

I do like taichi now as he is developing but also mixed feelings when he like gives arata the cold shoulder and becomes selfish at times.
And both of them are different from each other to be honest in my opinion with some similarities which i wont deny. I am a manga reader as well, so i kinda know.
In the end its preference. I hope just that they resolve the differences and find happiness soon :)

Dec 12, 2019 1:45 PM

Oct 2012
This review depicts my feelings so well:
https://lostinanime.com/2019/12/chihayafuru-3-10/

A happy ending for all would be the best!
chiakimagotoDec 12, 2019 1:56 PM
Dec 12, 2019 2:46 PM
Apr 2018
chiakimagoto said:

Anyways yea a happy ending for everyone will be the best for viewers. Dont want anyone to be left out. after such a beautiful journey
Kipo0007Dec 12, 2019 3:06 PM
Dec 12, 2019 9:50 PM

Oct 2012

I guess we can both agree that we love this story even if our pov's differ.
:)
chiakimagotoDec 12, 2019 9:56 PM
Dec 12, 2019 11:42 PM

Nov 2007
chiakimagoto said:

The reviewer is probably an Anime only and one of those Taichi fangirls. I couldn't bear to read beyond the first few paragraphs (actually I just glanced through it). I am more surprised at you sharing it as a manga reader. Just wow!

I had my doubts but you just cannot stand Arata. And you clearly have issues with Chihaya because of her affection for Arata. And your love for the manga is... I don't want to say anymore hurtful things but you leave me with no choice. You only care about Taichi. Not the sports, nor the poems as you claim. And you don't know that yourself otherwise you wouldn't share that pathetic review as a manga reader.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 13, 2019 12:09 AM

Oct 2012
Shamibeb,
chiakimagotoDec 13, 2019 12:52 AM
Dec 13, 2019 12:26 PM
Apr 2018
chiakimagoto said:

I guess we can both agree that we love this story even if our pov's differ.
:)

Yea true. everyones fighting with their own struggles and improving both as characters and players.Especially the trio.
And yea povs differ but the main thing is we love the story most of all and the journey of everyone involved.
Also saw the books, ill try and order them one day but its difficult to ship them from japan because we dont have much manga stores here sadly :/
Dec 13, 2019 4:16 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
Cries. This was such a beautifully animated episode... they really got my feelings man. Starting to realize how emotionally and physically taxing Karuta is. But honestly, I'm more excited for Harada-sensei then anyone rn. Especially bitter for Taichi's shit luck, and how dejected he was at basically ask Chihaya who she'd root for.
. Really feeling the team's vibes. Everyone's cheering for Taichi. Chihaya didn't try to console Taichi, or even think to think of Arata but now she's FINALLY LOOKING AT HIM. IF THIS ISN'T CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT IDK WHAT IS. Literally, we're all the side characters waiting for this school trip to launch the Taihaya.Chichi ship .... T_T

P.S. Do you think Sensei know where he really went?
Dec 13, 2019 7:27 PM
Dec 2018
I've read the manga quite a way past this point so I don't want to comment on this episode too much. It is great to see the story animated and i think they've done a great job in reproducing the manga. There are certain parts that i remember well, like the results of certain competitions and it is great to see them played out.

I do think the story hasn't been too kind to Taichi, although it is written in a way to make people sympathise with him. I did lose some sympathy when he turned up on the trip, though, he really should have stayed away and he is just torturing himself now. It feels like the writer trying to create drama rather than a realistic situation.
Dec 14, 2019 12:42 AM

Aug 2018
Fuck fuck fuck fuck
This series starting to hyping me up again!

Arata carry this episode alone, that match shows how talented Arata is even against all odds that he manage to get a win if he focus and visualizing winning that he failed to do last tournament.

Poor Taichi i hope he win in east and meet Arata in future matches
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Dec 17, 2019 7:33 PM
Sep 2017
Man - this episode had me so hyped! My poor boy Arata with his messed up stomach - can’t even imagine how embarrassing that would be. But then to be able to calm down, rationalize, stop thinking about other things and people, and get his head back in the game (with Murao’s help, for which I will forever love him for!) that was amazing! What a comeback!
I feel bad for Taichi, and I do hope that that wasn’t really his last chance to go for Master. But I’m so glad for Harada-sensei! He deserves it after so long. Must say I’m a little worried about his health, though. It seemed to be more than his knees bothering him the last few big games. :(
As for the upcoming match ... damn! I would normally say I’d root for Arata over anyone else in the entire show, but Harada may be the one exception, lol.
Dec 17, 2019 8:27 PM
Mar 2017
The semifinals begin and Arata gave a deplorable spectacle, his mind began to wander through emotions that did not come to the case, why did he start thinking like that of Taichi? and to top it off his stomach ache didn't let him compete optimally, even Murao had to intervene and bring Arata's mind back to the match.
After a technical exit, Arata returns to the match and the disadvantage he has is clear and he also does not know what cards were read, but this does not stop him.
Arata and Murao face each other intensely, but with each card that Murao wins, Arata gets more information and this is what finally gives Arata the victory and on the girls side, Megumu is the winner and deserved victory since her opponent was A girl who made the match very difficult.

Chihaya forgot a little about the tournament and the results, to enjoy a night of girls with her classmates, but then she goes out to buy a tea and in the hallway it comes as a surprise that Taichi arrived at the hotel and she receives the big surprise, the finalists for master will be between Harada sensei and Arata, now Chihaya is expectant and thoughtful for whom she encouraged, her best friend or her mentor.
Dec 19, 2019 9:22 AM

May 2017
Is it just me or does anyone else find Chihaya utterly annoying at times with her yelling out obvious things?
Dec 20, 2019 11:12 AM

Dec 2014
Arata match was intense...hmmm makes you think about so much more
Dec 21, 2019 1:42 PM

Feb 2008
Komano is the best bro of the season.
Dec 25, 2019 12:44 PM

Jul 2009
I have mixed feelings about this episode. On one side, the direction and storytelling with Arata's "underwater" and murky water stuff was fantastic, as well as the Komano and Taichi moment, and Arata realizing his feeling towards Taichi and how he'd been looking down on him. On the other hand, plot armour was pretty heavily in Arata's favour to win the match. Of course, the saddest thing is that we didn't see any other matches (except for a small bit of the Western Queen one) ... finding out that Harada won just like that was a blow :( Either way, this was probably the first time in this series I didn't watch this episode right away, but whether that's because I've just been busy IRL or because I've slowly come to realize that this show is not going in the direction I want it to is up in the air :P Either way, on to episode 11!
Jan 3, 2020 7:42 AM

May 2017
this season is absolutely phenomenal so far. Amazing episodes back to back. Blows season 2 away by a mile and if it manages to keep this level up it will easily surpass season 1.
Jan 3, 2020 8:29 AM

Oct 2019
shayed__ said:
this season is absolutely phenomenal so far. Amazing episodes back to back. Blows season 2 away by a mile and if it manages to keep this level up it will easily surpass season 1.

Oh trust me it will just get better and better from now on :3
Apr 5, 2020 7:45 PM

Apr 2016
Man those inner thoughts from Arata. I guess his true feelings are coming to light.

LOL straight to the toilet in the middle of a match

I'm really glad Harada is representing the East. It serves as a good reminder that age isn't everything in karuta.
May 6, 2020 1:16 PM
Feb 2016
There was honestly no reason for Murao to wake Arata up from his mental slumber. Arata is the one who got him out of retirement,but the reason why he retired was because he lost the qualification match and Arata was gone for 18 whole months. That should atleast even it out. As for his stomach issues,that was mostly his own fault. Murao isn't the one who forced him to eat all the tuna sandwiches.

This feels more like plot armor for Arata to further his acknowledgement of Taichi as a proper opponent,which could have been done outside of Karuta considering that Taichi lost. No sane person wouldn't take advantage of such an opportunity,but people who do get painted in a bad light by the author. Just look at all the shit Yumin got for contesting every card or how chihaya the self insert didn't take advantage from the pink haired girl dismay at her causing the finger injury.

The portrayal of dedication and winning above all seems like an afterthought in this show. Don't know how much of this bullshit I can take.
May 6, 2020 5:12 PM
May 2014
Weebslayer89 said:
There was honestly no reason for Murao to wake Arata up from his mental slumber. Arata is the one who got him out of retirement,but the reason why he retired was because he lost the qualification match and Arata was gone for 18 whole months. That should atleast even it out. As for his stomach issues,that was mostly his own fault. Murao isn't the one who forced him to eat all the tuna sandwiches.

This feels more like plot armor for Arata to further his acknowledgement of Taichi as a proper opponent,which could have been done outside of Karuta considering that Taichi lost. No sane person wouldn't take advantage of such an opportunity,but people who do get painted in a bad light by the author. Just look at all the shit Yumin got for contesting every card or how chihaya the self insert didn't take advantage from the pink haired girl dismay at her causing the finger injury.

The portrayal of dedication and winning above all seems like an afterthought in this show. Don't know how much of this bullshit I can take.

Your comments are so funny :D i laughing so hard when i read. How many times you called bullshit and continue watching xd
May 6, 2020 5:35 PM

Oct 2019
Valiantlion960 said:
Weebslayer89 said:

Your comments are so funny :D i laughing so hard when i read. How many times you called bullshit and continue watching xd

Ikr its quite fascinating really.
May 7, 2020 4:37 AM
Feb 2016
Valiantlion960 said:
Weebslayer89 said:

I'm glad that you find my comments funny. As for the reason I kept watching is because I wanted to see certain characters grow and have their full potential utilized by the author and at times it seemed to go that way,but then it quickly turned back to the same old story. I'll probably won't be watching the show anymore. I might just skim through the Wikia or the manga to see how season 3 ends and leave a last comment, but I'm not really sure.
Mar 27, 2021 12:36 AM

Aug 2018
Harada-Sensei and Arata passed...things are getting complicated, good chapter and I was just wondering what happened with Chihaya xD, and Taichi appears, let's see what will happen.
Jul 15, 2021 1:38 AM

Jul 2015
Well damn not only Taichi but now also Arata lost the Impassionate card. Still an incredible comeback by Arata there who struggled both with some complex feelings and Yuu's food poisoning. I'm rooting for Harada to win as he probably won't get another chance at the age 57.

Oct 6, 2021 10:11 AM

Feb 2019
Oh no Taichi T_T Can't bear to see him this depressed...
Apr 18, 2023 8:51 AM

Jul 2016
Taking a bathroom break mid match and still winning the finals is in a tier of its own for lifetime achievements. Love how they kept who won a mystery until the very end. Arata is such a beast.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» If you want to continue with the manga after watching

NiQ1 - Feb 21, 2023

19 by NiQ1 »»
Mar 21, 2:01 AM

» Chihayafuru 4

Kaguyachinchin - Nov 21, 2020

5 by Knighthammer619 »»
Mar 17, 9:43 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2020

148 by tozeos »»
Jan 9, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - Jan 14, 2020

126 by realfifi »»
Dec 18, 2023 2:21 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2019

105 by Katsu-kun »»
Aug 15, 2023 4:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.