Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Poll: Chihayafuru 3 Episode 10 Discussion


#1
Dec 10, 2019 9:09 AM

Online
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 121376
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Cool, now we got more focus on Arata's match with Murao. I love little bits of fine details in the backgrounds and narratives from his point of view. Felt like the match itself was much more intense that way.

What a match at this level.
 
 
#2
Dec 10, 2019 9:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 28831
Hosoya-san's character is still not feeling well...

While the competition begins, he finally realized that he was annoyed and jealous at Mamo's character. Also what Meijin said. That affects his performance, though. His senpai and opponent slapped him to wake him up.

Restroom break made him calm down and decided to get offensive. His opponent, too. Both of them know each other that they do so. Hosoya-san's character caught up and won.

For queen, the megane girl is having trouble. It seems like she won eventually.

Field trip group. Mamo's character joins them after losing.

He told her it would be Teacher vs. Hosoya-san's character next.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
 
#3
Dec 10, 2019 12:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 758
Whoever directed this episode deserves a medal. Absolutely stunning.

Arata is going to become my favorite character, isn't he?
 
#4
Dec 10, 2019 12:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 758
P.S. I wish wish wish we got to see more of the queen qualifier matches. I'm worried we won't get to see any of the queen match next episode. It's okay for there to be a focus on female characters other than Chihaya aaaaaaaaaa
 
#5
Dec 10, 2019 1:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 1005
Jesus fucking christ. They did only THE BEST. The bits where the cards look all black to Arata (oh, boy) and Murao saving him from it... The dark petals... Everything was beautifully done. The despair/agony... They did it perfectly. PERFECTLY. I have no words. This episode was absolute. I'm not a big fan of Arata or Murao, but I really like this match (and them in this match). Murao is excited that he's going to win, but he CAN'T, he can't just leave Arata. So he tries to help him, even though he's his opponent. I love it so much. And Arata recognizing that all this time he looked down on Taichi... This is so important for his character development and for his friendship with Taichi. Goddammit. I love all of it.

I also love the sadness that comes afterwards, with the Taichi/Chihaya scene. Honestly, it's a small scene, but it's one of my favorites. I love that Chihaya realizes that Taichi is becoming more distant... And the way he tells her. He already expects her reaction, so he is hurt. He is tired, frustrated and sad. Mamoru Miyano did such a good job (as always). Seriously, it's amazing that this studio and those VAs were the ones chosen to bring this story to life (animated). They're perfect. Everything is perfect. I'm emotional as hell.
 
#6
Dec 10, 2019 2:12 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 8171
Yuu gets her revenge on Arata with her cooking. Murao can't even beat Arata with an 11 card lead while he is in the bathroom
Taichi asks Chihaya a leading question since he knows that Chihaya likes Arata
 
 
#7
Dec 10, 2019 2:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 48206
insane episode

i'm crying so hard right now, please send help

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Let me introduce you to some new things.
Bass kick swingin' like I'm Bruce Lee.

 
#8
Dec 10, 2019 2:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 20672
Real focus and determination would've meant to ignore the rumbling bowel.

On a more serious note, Arata fought like a true champ and the episode was one hell of an emotional ride. The execution was simply brilliant again.
One Piece episode 914 & 915 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation

🙋🏼‍♂️: Hey Levi
 
#9
Dec 10, 2019 4:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 19
Such a beautiful episode. Finally, Arata getting the screen time he deserves.


Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
Modified by fancyjasper, Dec 11, 2019 2:03 AM
June!
 
Dec 10, 2019 4:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 308
the visuals, OMG the visuals daaaammmn. I absolutely love the characters, and how human they really are. especially Taichi, damn you can really feel his suffering like when he stood in front of Chihaya telling her that Arata won
 
Dec 10, 2019 4:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 476
Wow, that match between Arata and Murao was pretty good. Arata having to leave to use the bathroom was pretty funny, and he still won despite Murao having a big lead on him lol.

As impressive as always Arata.

Aye and Taichi showed up to the class trip! He's probably feeling down judging from how he acted (which is a given cause he wanted to win) but I wonder how things will play out for the rest of the trip now that he's back?

Dr. Harada beat Sudo?! I mean wanted Harada to win, but at the same time I wanted to see him do it :/ Wonder if'll they show it next episode?
(EDIT) - Well it looks like I miss read the east japan qualifiers info sheet Arata was reading 😅. Still like to see Harada beat Sudo lol.

Anyways, it looks like we'll be seeing Arata verse Harada for the master qualifier spot. Should be an interesting three matches. I think they'll both win a game and we'll get a very gripping third match between the two. I wonder who Chihaya will root for?

Pretty good episode this week, looking forward to next weeks!
Modified by Monty3610, Dec 11, 2019 4:37 AM

 
 
Dec 10, 2019 4:56 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 13408
That was awkward, but it was a good match, still. Glad Arata won.
 
Dec 10, 2019 5:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 253
Great match. The visuals, music, inner monologues, everything. I wish one of them didn't have to lose. I felt for Murao. He was so gracious in a losing effort, too.

I'm glad Arata is finally getting some screentime, though. He didn't get enough after moving away early in the series. Now if we could get some more Shinobu as well, I'd be very pleased.
RIP Kobe
 
Dec 10, 2019 5:11 PM

Online
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 6536
Great episode again.

The match was intense, exciting and emotional too. Was Arata referring to Taichi at the end when he mentioned he was going to meet someone without talent so he wouldn't get too ahead of himself?

Taichi went to the field trip, that I did not expect.

Harada vs Arata will be one hell of a match. I don't even know who to root for.
 
Dec 10, 2019 6:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 154
For some reason, I want Dr.Harada to win. It's going to be a great match.But who won in the east woman qualifier?
Modified by KireiHanabi, Dec 10, 2019 6:55 PM



 
Dec 10, 2019 7:32 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 124
KireiHanabi said:
For some reason, I want Dr.Harada to win. It's going to be a great match.But who won in the east woman qualifier?

Here's a spoiler from the manga of who's gonna win:

Another great episode. Madhouse is keeping up to the expectation. It also helps that the manga was still very good at that point... *sighs
 
Dec 10, 2019 7:36 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 124
Kipo0007 said:
Who is she gonna support. her beloved Sensei or her beloved Arata? xD

The word "beloved" is alien to her lol. Chihaya be like -
 
Dec 10, 2019 7:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 154
nazsa said:
KireiHanabi said:
For some reason, I want Dr.Harada to win. It's going to be a great match.But who won in the east woman qualifier?

Here's a spoiler from the manga of who's gonna win:

Another great episode. Madhouse is keeping up to the expectation. It also helps that the manga was still very good at that point... *sighs

I looked through the spoiler 0_0



 
Dec 10, 2019 8:13 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 86
what a beautiful episode. the direction of these episodes has been top notch. also did anyone get some flashback feel from 3-gatsu no lion's ep where hinata is getting bullied in comparison to arata's going all black? felt very comparable

just hope the score gets fixed soon ~~~~
 
 
Dec 10, 2019 9:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 1703
The sequence at the beginning of Arata's match was really cool, but lmao imagine having the shits during such an important match. The rules are brutal as well. You just get left behind.

Mfing Taichi decided to show up to the trip late. Tbh didn't see that coming, but I don't mind it. The thing I love about this show is I rarely know who's gonna win a match. At this point I see all three outcomes (for potential Meijin winners) being pretty possible.
 
Dec 10, 2019 9:55 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 166
nazsa said:
Kipo0007 said:
Who is she gonna support. her beloved Sensei or her beloved Arata? xD

The word "beloved" is alien to her lol. Chihaya be like -


Haha true. The airhead she is. But i used beloved as in people whom she cherishes not in the romantic sense. Her romance is with Karuta right now. xD
 
Dec 10, 2019 10:03 PM

Online
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1220
Chihayafuru when focussing on Arata feels much better when it is not, imo. Arata is my favorite of the main trio by far, and this episode only made my feelings stronger. Feeling sad for Taichi tho.

Murao is an S-tier side-character. Much respect for him.

Best Chihayafuru episode yet/5
Modified by cchigu, Dec 10, 2019 10:23 PM
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
 
Dec 10, 2019 10:41 PM

Online
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1220
Monty3610 said:
Dr. Harada beat Sudo?! I mean wanted Harada to win, but at the same time I wanted to see him do it :/ Wonder if'll they show it next episode?
They did mate. In the previous episode.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
 
 
Dec 10, 2019 11:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 9161
Such a powerful Arata episode.



Arata realizing the last dead card that he missed! It literally gave me goosebumps! And that was also topped with those beautiful blue eyes that you will lose yourself to! That was the most amazing Arata scene in this season and we are gonna have them coming!


cchigu said:
Chihayafuru when focussing on Arata feels much better when it is not, imo. Arata is my favorite of the main trio by far, and this episode only made my feelings stronger. Feeling sad for Taichi tho.

Murao is an S-tier side-character. Much respect for him.

Best Chihayafuru episode yet/5


Notice the difference between Taichi and Arata's respective reactions to losing the Chihayaburu card which they both hold so dearly. These are the moments that make Arata come out on top for me. Notice how Arata has already started to see Taichi in a different light, acknowledging Taichi's growth yet Taichi still holds that inferiority complex above anything else, undermining his own potential and always harboring resentful emotions towards Arata. These are the differences that Taichi will need to bridge if he ever wants to reach Arata's passion.

Mod edit: Removed quote of removed post.
Modified by shanimebib, Dec 11, 2019 9:40 AM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
 
Dec 10, 2019 11:33 PM

Online
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1220
shanimebib said:


cchigu said:
Chihayafuru when focussing on Arata feels much better when it is not, imo. Arata is my favorite of the main trio by far, and this episode only made my feelings stronger. Feeling sad for Taichi tho.

Murao is an S-tier side-character. Much respect for him.

Best Chihayafuru episode yet/5


Notice the difference between Taichi and Arata's respective reactions to losing the Chihayaburu card which they both hold so dearly. These are the moments that make Arata come out on top for me. Notice how Arata has already started to see Taichi in a different light, acknowledging Taichi's growth yet Taichi still holds that inferiority complex above anything else, undermining his own potential and always harboring resentful emotions towards Arata. These are the differences that Taichi will need to bridge if he ever wants to reach Arata's passion.
But with how much Taichi has been improving as of late, + what Suou said to Arata, gives me a feeling that Taichi is gonna surpass Arata in the future I hope I am wrong though. I mean, Arata losing is the worst feeling ever.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
 
 
Dec 10, 2019 11:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 9161
cchigu said:
shanimebib said:




Notice the difference between Taichi and Arata's respective reactions to losing the Chihayaburu card which they both hold so dearly. These are the moments that make Arata come out on top for me. Notice how Arata has already started to see Taichi in a different light, acknowledging Taichi's growth yet Taichi still holds that inferiority complex above anything else, undermining his own potential and always harboring resentful emotions towards Arata. These are the differences that Taichi will need to bridge if he ever wants to reach Arata's passion.
But with how much Taichi has been improving as of late, + what Suou said to Arata, gives me a feeling that Taichi is gonna surpass Arata in the future I hope I am wrong though. I mean, Arata losing is the worst feeling ever.




^The difference that makes Arata come on top for me. Just there.

This doesn't mean Arata would remain standstill and let Taichi overtake him. The way things are set up, they are gonna push each other all the way so it could go either way. Also, Suou-meijin never said Arata will never be a Meijin. He just said he won't be the one to dethrone him or be the next Meijin. Notice that this is gonna be Arata's only chance to dethrone that Nasty Meijin because that Nasty Meijin more or less announced his retirement after five titles. This will put Suou-meijin in the same footing as Wataya Hajime - Arata's grandfather, a shining example of a Meijin and respected by everyone, with the same title of Eisei Meijin or Eternal Master. A lot is at stake here, and it's not only Arata fulfilling his promise to his grandfather.
Modified by shanimebib, Dec 11, 2019 9:42 AM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
 
Dec 11, 2019 1:31 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 846
Thanks Arata for realising that you’ve been underestimating Taichi and wasn’t seeing him as an actual rival until recently. That was the one thing I didn’t like about him and I’m glad he’s getting a character development for that matter.

Now, I hope Taichi also stops underestimating himself and continues working hard. Going to a med school isn’t a valid reason to abandon Karuta. Harada sensei is a doctor and he’ll be facing Arata soon.

I like Arata a lot but I hope Harada wins. He has worked hard for YEARS for this. Old man deserves the title. Harada FTW! (but I feel like Arata will win and face Suo)
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
 
Dec 11, 2019 1:37 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 37
The Visuals, sound and directoion of the episode was beyond perfection 😍
So Beautiful
The director desrveve thr Props
 
Dec 11, 2019 1:58 AM
One Word: Anime

Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 5800
What. An. Episode! God, that effect with the petals darkening up in particular was bloody stunning, mad props to Madhouse Inc. yet again! It's hard to come up with "the best episode of the season" because they're just all too darn good ffs.

Damn, didn't think Arata would pull off such a miracle though and found it really awesome how he was figuring out the dead cards and taking advantage of Murao-san's stiffness! Respect to Murao-san though, he could've easily stole the victory but that would obviously go against his motto (lol at the following tummy siren, happens much too often to me as well xD). And then those final few moments too, truly beautiful! At the end of the day, those with latent talent almost always excel - that's life in a nutshell really.

Chihaya, meanwhile, was trying to take the trip seriously but of course it wouldn't last until upon a coincidental meeting lol. Hilarious how she ran back for her phone and her friend let out that "huh?". Got to be tough to choose between the two athletes though, my condolences to her.

Dr. Harada qualifying in all honesty is what made me most happy, he really deserves it. I've a feeling he'll get crushed next episode but you just got to love the man. He breathes Karuta quite literally. Can't wait to see the showdown!

We'll be seeing Suou-meijin in an official match soon, hype! Congrats to the female representatives too! It's fairly obvious that Shinobu-chan will retain her title but I feel like Suou-meijin will be challenged, if not defeated at least, for getting a little ahead of himself. Welp, only time will tell. If only we could get 2 episodes per week.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni


 
Dec 11, 2019 5:13 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 3
Ok, I really like Arata and all, but I felt SO BAD for Murao. Like, he tried so hard, and he had the advantage, and he was fair and snapped Arata out of his stupor, AND HE STILL LOST. Congrats to him for being such a fair loser though.

I was SO happy for Harada sensei when we found out he was the representative. The man deserved it.

My boy Taichi struggling with his emotions again. Just can't catch a break. I loved the moment with him and Tsukue though - literally the relationships in Chihayafuru, especially friendships, are my favorite part of the story. I like the matches, especially the animated ones (damn, when Taichi's VA starts whispering the cards that haven't been read yet I MELT), but just the friendships between everyone, ugh, I live for that.

The way things are going I have a pretty clear idea where the season will end and damn, I hope we get season 4.
 
 
Dec 11, 2019 8:46 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 153
MaahHeim said:
Jesus fucking christ. They did only THE BEST. The bits where the cards look all black to Arata (oh, boy) and Murao saving him from it... The dark petals... Everything was beautifully done. The despair/agony... They did it perfectly. PERFECTLY. I have no words. This episode was absolute. I'm not a big fan of Arata or Murao, but I really like this match (and them in this match). Murao is excited that he's going to win, but he CAN'T, he can't just leave Arata. So he tries to help him, even though he's his opponent. I love it so much. And Arata recognizing that all this time he looked down on Taichi... This is so important for his character development and for his friendship with Taichi. Goddammit. I love all of it.

I also love the sadness that comes afterwards, with the Taichi/Chihaya scene. Honestly, it's a small scene, but it's one of my favorites. I love that Chihaya realizes that Taichi is becoming more distant... And the way he tells her. He already expects her reaction, so he is hurt. He is tired, frustrated and sad. Mamoru Miyano did such a good job (as always). Seriously, it's amazing that this studio and those VAs were the ones chosen to bring this story to life (animated). They're perfect. Everything is perfect. I'm emotional as hell.

THIS! Absolutely brilliant, highly emotional episode! Went straight to one of my favorites! Bravo Madhouse!!
 
Dec 11, 2019 9:17 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 166
Madhouse needs more compliments for the amazing animation and direction.

Loved Arata's character development and respects to murao for saving him. Great match and a wholesome way to end it.
Arata running to the bathroom was the best comedy we got from him yet. xD

Taichi still in depression and fighting his own battle. Hope he gets inpiration from harada sensei and gets back up.

Chihaya in a fix whom to cheer for, Harada Sensei or Arata. xD



Arata is handsome, i know but wow, he just went to the next level with that cool and beautiful gaze of his. Those mesmerizing blue eyes. He just gives off that calm beautiful aura.
 
Dec 11, 2019 9:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 9161
VoidScreamsBack said:

My boy Taichi struggling with his emotions again. Just can't catch a break. I loved the moment with him and Tsukue though - literally the relationships in Chihayafuru, especially friendships, are my favorite part of the story. I like the matches, especially the animated ones (damn, when Taichi's VA starts whispering the cards that haven't been read yet I MELT), but just the friendships between everyone, ugh, I live for that.


Can I give you a hug for mentioning the Tsukue moment? Tsukeue and Nikuman are two of the most underappreciated characters in the story. Them acting bros to Taichi from time to time is some of the best moments in the story.



^this moment. This moment torn my heart to pieces.

It also broke my heart when Taichi asked Chihaya the question he was already aware of the answer of.

_MushiRock11_ said:
What. An. Episode! God, that effect with the petals darkening up in particular was bloody stunning, mad props to Madhouse Inc. yet again! It's hard to come up with "the best episode of the season" because they're just all too darn good ffs.

Damn, didn't think Arata would pull off such a miracle though and found it really awesome how he was figuring out the dead cards and taking advantage of Murao-san's stiffness! Respect to Murao-san though, he could've easily stole the victory but that would obviously go against his motto (lol at the following tummy siren, happens much too often to me as well xD). And then those final few moments too, truly beautiful! At the end of the day, those with latent talent almost always excel - that's life in a nutshell really.

Chihaya, meanwhile, was trying to take the trip seriously but of course it wouldn't last until upon a coincidental meeting lol. Hilarious how she ran back for her phone and her friend let out that "huh?". Got to be tough to choose between the two athletes though, my condolences to her.

Dr. Harada qualifying in all honesty is what made me most happy, he really deserves it. I've a feeling he'll get crushed next episode but you just got to love the man. He breathes Karuta quite literally. Can't wait to see the showdown!

We'll be seeing Suou-meijin in an official match soon, hype! Congrats to the female representatives too! It's fairly obvious that Shinobu-chan will retain her title but I feel like Suou-meijin will be challenged, if not defeated at least, for getting a little ahead of himself. Welp, only time will tell. If only we could get 2 episodes per week.


Keep your eyes peeled for the official Suou-meijon match! But before hyping over it, which is understandable, let's get hyped for the Teacher versus Student! Remember that even if it was short lived, Arata was once Harada-sensei's student. And he has mad respect for him!

Modified by shanimebib, Dec 11, 2019 9:53 AM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
 
Dec 11, 2019 9:57 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 3
shanimebib said:
VoidScreamsBack said:

My boy Taichi struggling with his emotions again. Just can't catch a break. I loved the moment with him and Tsukue though - literally the relationships in Chihayafuru, especially friendships, are my favorite part of the story. I like the matches, especially the animated ones (damn, when Taichi's VA starts whispering the cards that haven't been read yet I MELT), but just the friendships between everyone, ugh, I live for that.


Can I give you a hug for mentioning the Tsukue moment? Tsukeue and Nikuman are two of the most underappreciated characters in the story. Them acting bros to Taichi from time to time is some of the best moments in the story.



^this moment. This moment torn my heart to pieces.


I agree, the two of them are really underrated, which is a shame because they are both such great characters; Chihayafuru has a really incredible cast and every secondary character is amazing in its own way. Honestly the broships in Chihayafuru are underrated in my opinion.
 
Dec 11, 2019 10:11 AM
One Word: Anime

Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 5800
shanimebib said:
Keep your eyes peeled for the official Suou-meijon match! But before hyping over it, which is understandable, let's get hyped for the Teacher versus Student! Remember that even if it was short lived, Arata was once Harada-sensei's student. And he has mad respect for him!


Oh yeah, of course! What an unexpected matchup to spice things up!

Arata’s respect for Harada-sensei does indeed make things a lot more intriguing, I can’t wait to see how it unfolds!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni


 
Dec 11, 2019 10:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 3344
Nice, very balanced episode. There was tension and some dynamic actions, but not too much and it worked for me. The match couldn't be so dynamic mostly because they knew each other's playing style and knew for sure that one mistake might be used to its extent by the opponent.

Damn, Arata's diarrhoea didn't get any better and stroke him again during his final match, lol.

Harada-sensei won, woo hoo! :D Match with Arata is gonna be spectacular. I have a feeling that Arata might win if he plays with full focus and if he will use all his potential. Harada's experience and mastered offensive karuta cannot be overestimated.

A question for manga readers: will we see Harada vs. Sudo duel or its quick summarization (as for in the series it has already ended and we know who won)? I know the anime might go in a different direction, but I'm curious how it looked like in the manga.
 
 
Dec 11, 2019 11:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 238
I am sorry to say this but as much as I love Chihayafuru this episode was a letdown.
Don't get me wrong, it looked beautiful but it was so boring in the sport/competitive/emotional aspect it hurt.

Arata winning was both expected and somewhat... meh in a sense that whether it would have been Murao or Arata - wouldn't make much of a difference. Both from the same society, similar personalities even both wearing glasses. Also that stomach ache motif and coming back from what... 11-card deficit against a similar level and more experienced player is kinda hard to believe to borderline ridiculous.

Why not show Harada vs Sudo? - much more interestingly looking encounter in every imaginable aspect (age, personality, style of play, rivalry).

Why not show Inokuma vs Yumin? - former queen making a comeback after many years vs former queen and current two-time runner-up - (again different personalitles, styles of play, ways of life).

Why not show Megumu vs Yuikawa almost at all? Ok this wasn't as promising as Harada vs Sudo and especially Inokuma vs Yumin but still better than Murao vs Arata.

Why show the only match which did not have any emotion attached to it.

I was really hoping to see other finals, very disappointing they didn't show any of them (besides a short glimpse of Megumu's match). Even if they will in the next episode, knowing the results it won't be nearly as exciting.

Oh yeah the subs haven't shown the result of Yumin vs Inokuma encounter but if you look closely at Sumire's message and compare kanji of the name seen on screen to kanji in their names you can guess who will be Megumu's rival (unless it was a red herring which is very unlikely).
 
Dec 11, 2019 12:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 140
Linaeris said:
I am sorry to say this but as much as I love Chihayafuru this episode was a letdown.
Don't get me wrong, it looked beautiful but it was so boring in the sport/competitive/emotional aspect it hurt.

Arata winning was both expected and somewhat... meh in a sense that whether it would have been Murao or Arata - wouldn't make much of a difference. Both from the same society, similar personalities even both wearing glasses. Also that stomach ache motif and coming back from what... 11-card deficit against a similar level and more experienced player is kinda hard to believe to borderline ridiculous.

Why not show Harada vs Sudo? - much more interestingly looking encounter in every imaginable aspect (age, personality, style of play, rivalry).

Why not show Inokuma vs Yumin? - former queen making a comeback after many years vs former queen and current two-time runner-up - (again different personalitles, styles of play, ways of life).

Why not show Megumu vs Yuikawa almost at all? Ok this wasn't as promising as Harada vs Sudo and especially Inokuma vs Yumin but still better than Murao vs Arata.

Why show the only match which did not have any emotion attached to it.

I was really hoping to see other finals, very disappointing they didn't show any of them (besides a short glimpse of Megumu's match). Even if they will in the next episode, knowing the results it won't be nearly as exciting.

Oh yeah the subs haven't shown the result of Yumin vs Inokuma encounter but if you look closely at Sumire's message and compare kanji of the name seen on screen to kanji in their names you can guess who will be Megumu's rival (unless it was a red herring which is very unlikely).


I know people may have forgotten at this point but believe it or not, Arata is actually a main character. Of course we would focus on his match.
 
Dec 11, 2019 12:50 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 16
Ahhhhh I have been waiting for this episode since I read the manga. The slap that wakes Arata back up is one of my favorite moments in the whole series, and the anime absolutely did it justice - so beautiful.
 
Dec 11, 2019 2:24 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 166
Fionavar said:
Linaeris said:
I am sorry to say this but as much as I love Chihayafuru this episode was a letdown.
Don't get me wrong, it looked beautiful but it was so boring in the sport/competitive/emotional aspect it hurt.

Arata winning was both expected and somewhat... meh in a sense that whether it would have been Murao or Arata - wouldn't make much of a difference. Both from the same society, similar personalities even both wearing glasses. Also that stomach ache motif and coming back from what... 11-card deficit against a similar level and more experienced player is kinda hard to believe to borderline ridiculous.

Why not show Harada vs Sudo? - much more interestingly looking encounter in every imaginable aspect (age, personality, style of play, rivalry).

Why not show Inokuma vs Yumin? - former queen making a comeback after many years vs former queen and current two-time runner-up - (again different personalitles, styles of play, ways of life).

Why not show Megumu vs Yuikawa almost at all? Ok this wasn't as promising as Harada vs Sudo and especially Inokuma vs Yumin but still better than Murao vs Arata.

Why show the only match which did not have any emotion attached to it.

I was really hoping to see other finals, very disappointing they didn't show any of them (besides a short glimpse of Megumu's match). Even if they will in the next episode, knowing the results it won't be nearly as exciting.

Oh yeah the subs haven't shown the result of Yumin vs Inokuma encounter but if you look closely at Sumire's message and compare kanji of the name seen on screen to kanji in their names you can guess who will be Megumu's rival (unless it was a red herring which is very unlikely).


I know people may have forgotten at this point but believe it or not, Arata is actually a main character. Of course we would focus on his match.


Arata is one of the main characters, why wouldnt they show his match? It didnt not only looked beautiful they also amazing displayed the turmoil inside arata how serious it was and the depth of his character for the first time in all these seasons. He never gets enough screen time.

And just because they belong from the same society and look similar because of the glasses doesnt mean they have similarities or it was boring. Also it was not expected, Arata has lost countless times to murao and as his mentor and senpai ,murao performed the role of bringing arata back to his senses from the dark karuta and the internal struggle which he was going through, and he did all this inspite of being the opponent, which shows character value of a non-main character.
Everyone were looking at them because how the tension in the room rose with such grace with that slap and lightened the atmosphere. Even the Reader smiled as she could understand as well.
Then the humorous Arata's bathroom problems came in and later how it transitioned back to a serious match.
Plus Arata's win wasnt ridiculous, they literally show how he calclulated all the ghost cards and the cards that were read from the future plays that happened and slowly was reducing the lead without murao noticing. Thats why murao says its not just talent, Arata has hard work too and it ended on a happy note.
You are just looking at the surface value, while there is so much depth and value to the scenes depicted in the episode with that match.

I can understand it was disappointing to not see Harada and suo's match which i was looking forward to as well & also other qualifier matches, but just because of that you cant take away the beautiful and intense display of karuta & the relationship between murao and arata.

You need to look more beyond the usual exciting matches and see what it means to the characters and their development and what they try to portray with their games & conversations. Thats what makes this series is so amazing.
But its your perspective at the end. So whatever makes you happy .
 
Dec 11, 2019 2:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 140
Kipo0007 said:
Fionavar said:


I know people may have forgotten at this point but believe it or not, Arata is actually a main character. Of course we would focus on his match.


Arata is one of the main characters, why wouldnt they show his match? It didnt not only looked beautiful they also amazing displayed the turmoil inside arata how serious it was and the depth of his character for the first time in all these seasons. He never gets enough screen time.

And just because they belong from the same society and look similar because of the glasses doesnt mean they have similarities or it was boring. Also it was not expected, Arata has lost countless times to murao and as his mentor and senpai ,murao performed the role of bringing arata back to his senses from the dark karuta and the internal struggle which he was going through, and he did all this inspite of being the opponent, which shows character value of a non-main character.
Everyone were looking at them because how the tension in the room rose with such grace with that slap and lightened the atmosphere. Even the Reader smiled as she could understand as well.
Then the humorous Arata's bathroom problems came in and later how it transitioned back to a serious match.
Plus Arata's win wasnt ridiculous, they literally show how he calclulated all the ghost cards and the cards that were read from the future plays that happened and slowly was reducing the lead without murao noticing. Thats why murao says its not just talent, Arata has hard work too and it ended on a happy note.
You are just looking at the surface value, while there is so much depth and value to the scenes depicted in the episode with that match.

I can understand it was disappointing to not see Harada and suo's match which i was looking forward to as well & also other qualifier matches, but just because of that you cant take away the beautiful and intense display of karuta & the relationship between murao and arata.

You need to look more beyond the usual exciting matches and see what it means to the characters and their development and what they try to portray with their games & conversations. Thats what makes this series is so amazing.
But its your perspective at the end. So whatever makes you happy .


Summarized my thoughts perfectly. Honestly people are never satisfied, first they complain about how Arata doesnt have enough screentime and development. Now we finally got both, and they still complain. This episode so far has to be the best of the season yet, and it only gets better and better with each episode.
 
Dec 11, 2019 4:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 238
@Fionavar , @Kipo0007
He was one of the main characters for like first 3 episodes of season 1 and last 3 episodes of season 2 which is 10% of the whole show thus far.
He was/is the main character in Chihaya's and Taichi's head (and viewers' by proxy) from time to time and that's it. The problem with Arata being the main character in Taichi's and Chihaya's head began in last tournament where Arata should definitely stop being the main character in their heads (the image of Arata - being some sort of god of karuta in Chihaya's head, and the image of Arata - being Chihaya's god by being god of karuta in Taichi's head). Same should be for viewers.

By this point Arata should only remain as Shinobu's personal rival to beat and maybe his parent's account potential nemesis depending on circumstances.

The only turmoil inside Arata that was believable and kinda realisticly shown and dealt with was his diarrhea.

Murao's behaviour was indeed great (not his performance during the latter half of their match) if we look at it from the perspective of him being Arata's senior but that is also exactly what made this match boring from the sheer sport's emotion perspective. Why should a spectator care who wins if contestants don't. Unless spectator is a hard MuraoxArata fan.

If Murao had let Arata take those 11 cards back after him coming back from the toilet because he would want to beat Arata while he is playing his best and the only reason of Arata's poor performance in the begining was his stomach problems. That would be perfectly acceptable and understandable for a viewer. Great sportsmanship. Why? Beacuse things like diarrhea are or can easily be considered (although in this case arguable) as accidents which couldn't have been dealt with earlier or later. Arata's head/heart/howeveryoucallthem issues most definitely could.

Similar yet very different situation was in the last tournament where Hiroshi forfeit his match with Chihaya but it was perfectly understandable since they were from the same society and a winner from their match could have met Murao in the final.
Here we have a competition for basically being a world champion. Totally individual matter.
 
Dec 11, 2019 4:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 476
cchigu said:
Monty3610 said:
Dr. Harada beat Sudo?! I mean wanted Harada to win, but at the same time I wanted to see him do it :/ Wonder if'll they show it next episode?
They did mate. In the previous episode.


My bad, I misread it lol.

 
 
Dec 11, 2019 5:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 336
OMG, THIS EPISODE IS TOTALLY AWESOME: Arata is really focused just the way I love it <3: his match against Murao carried a lot of affections and tense attention of winning really brought Arata a huge challenge he never expected and yes I'm so happy he came through it: THAT'S OUR BOY!!!! Seeing Arata inner thoughts of guilt during the match brought into a field of darkness that reflects Arata's insecurity: for Arata feelings bad looking down of Taichi affected him so much that for a moment he lost focus of the game where he was going through a moment of crisis and brought back his most painful memory of his grandpa's funeral. I'm sure through the time where Arata stopped playing karuta after his grandpa passing that was the image in how he saw the karuta cards throughout the whole time, poor Arata... he must have suffered a lot;_; I can't stand seeing my boy suffering and I hope he doesn't have to go see that phrase again. -_- I'm so grateful that Murao was his opponent who snaps Arata out of it and brought him into the present seeing the light and a beautiful cherry blossom scenery into the field: OMG that scene really brought me into tears. and even after the match where Arata was crying and Musao told Arata to smile: THAT'S SO CUTE: Musao surely is like Arata's big brother he could of have: their bond is so sweet and true. Now the moment is here, Arata will be challenging against Harada at the Meijin challenger match: THE MOST EPIC MATCH OF THE SEASON JUST AWAITS: OMG I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! XD
 
Dec 11, 2019 7:15 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 166
Linaeris said:
@Fionavar , @Kipo0007
He was one of the main characters for like first 3 episodes of season 1 and last 3 episodes of season 2 which is 10% of the whole show thus far.
He was/is the main character in Chihaya's and Taichi's head (and viewers' by proxy) from time to time and that's it. The problem with Arata being the main character in Taichi's and Chihaya's head began in last tournament where Arata should definitely stop being the main character in their heads (the image of Arata - being some sort of god of karuta in Chihaya's head, and the image of Arata - being Chihaya's god by being god of karuta in Taichi's head). Same should be for viewers.

By this point Arata should only remain as Shinobu's personal rival to beat and maybe his parent's account potential nemesis depending on circumstances.

The only turmoil inside Arata that was believable and kinda realisticly shown and dealt with was his diarrhea.

Murao's behaviour was indeed great (not his performance during the latter half of their match) if we look at it from the perspective of him being Arata's senior but that is also exactly what made this match boring from the sheer sport's emotion perspective. Why should a spectator care who wins if contestants don't. Unless spectator is a hard MuraoxArata fan.

If Murao had let Arata take those 11 cards back after him coming back from the toilet because he would want to beat Arata while he is playing his best and the only reason of Arata's poor performance in the begining was his stomach problems. That would be perfectly acceptable and understandable for a viewer. Great sportsmanship. Why? Beacuse things like diarrhea are or can easily be considered (although in this case arguable) as accidents which couldn't have been dealt with earlier or later. Arata's head/heart/howeveryoucallthem issues most definitely could.

Similar yet very different situation was in the last tournament where Hiroshi forfeit his match with Chihaya but it was perfectly understandable since they were from the same society and a winner from their match could have met Murao in the final.
Here we have a competition for basically being a world champion. Totally individual matter.


Just because he is makes less appearance for both season 1 and season 2 doesnt make him only the main character for those couple of episodes. Lol he has always been part of the main trio, everything started with them. The concept of him being the so called "god" in chihayas and taichis head was because he is a exceptional player from the start in karuta. The whole show is about karuta obviously everything will involved and revolved around it with the characters.

Arata's distance from chihaya & taichi or the screentime or the perception of him being the better godlike player from the other two and the viewers is never gonna change the fact that he will always be a main character. The whole chihafyuru and karuta started when Arata played with chihaya in that closed room. The journey began from there and started building with the three characters slowly.

Only shinobu's rival for what? He wants to become the meijin not the queen. Shinobus main rival is Chihaya, the only rivalry with arata is that she looks upto him and respects him as a good player and wants to defeat him as she always lost to him.
Also he wants to become the best with both chihaya & taichi as well. While they share their bit of rivalry over karuta they all are in some ways inspiring each other to grow and become strong. Thats the main story, which you are clearly overlooking.

The fact you only saw the diarrhea as the main problem, shows with how little interest you saw the episode with a biased view.
Murao was contesting with all his might but he knew something was off about arata and he was not into the karuta game at the moment and not giving the respect the game deserves also to the reader and audience who had come to watch their match with the care of a mentor and also a opponent who wants to fight arata at his best, That's what the spirit of the game is about, which you failed to notice .

Why would he let him take the 11 cards back? he is kind not stupid especially during a important match. Also even the viewers wont be satisfied to see such leniency in a match of that importance because they want to make it realistic and reality is harsh. you dont get such kindness in harsh competitions.
Murao played by the rules and took the cards with this advantage whatever the reason or problems the opponent is having. He cant stop or be lenient just because of the diarrhea which is something he cant help arata with?
The spectators care because they enjoy watching the games, especially for karuta viewers and watching a high intensity game such as the finals is a sight to behold. Regardless who wins, watching two top class players go at each other with amazing display of skills and hard work is what makes it appealing to hem.

Also how can you think muraos performance was poor in the second half? He kept taking cards from arata, Blocked his trademark swipe, sent him cards which put arata at a disadvantage. But Arata rearranged his cards, used his memory for ghost cards and the cards that were read. He strategically and methodically planned out his play. Its not that muraos performance was bad , it was the fact that Arata's game was better and that too realistically and not some bull shit power up.

I dont think you were even paying close attention to the game or you would have noticed all these factors. You just were watching it from a really biased perspective.

Why would you bring Hiroshis forfeit to chihaya. Theres a vast difference not even one bit similar. First of all there were 3 contestants from the same society. And Hiroshi wanted chihaya to rest since he knew at least one of their society members will be in the finals, plus hiroshi was tired himself and Chihaya had the best chance rested.
Arata and Muraos game was the finals they cant let each other forfeit in such a important game. completely illogical.

Sorry to say You are just completely missing the depth of the karuta games, the character development and just looking at the surface. This series is not that transparent that it will give you the plot straight away at your face easily, you have to be patient and look at the bigger picture while conceiving the little details.

Otherwise You cant enjoy or understand the series like this and say you love chihayafuru.




Modified by Kipo0007, Dec 11, 2019 7:18 PM
 
Dec 11, 2019 7:22 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 166
Fionavar said:
Kipo0007 said:


Arata is one of the main characters, why wouldnt they show his match? It didnt not only looked beautiful they also amazing displayed the turmoil inside arata how serious it was and the depth of his character for the first time in all these seasons. He never gets enough screen time.

And just because they belong from the same society and look similar because of the glasses doesnt mean they have similarities or it was boring. Also it was not expected, Arata has lost countless times to murao and as his mentor and senpai ,murao performed the role of bringing arata back to his senses from the dark karuta and the internal struggle which he was going through, and he did all this inspite of being the opponent, which shows character value of a non-main character.
Everyone were looking at them because how the tension in the room rose with such grace with that slap and lightened the atmosphere. Even the Reader smiled as she could understand as well.
Then the humorous Arata's bathroom problems came in and later how it transitioned back to a serious match.
Plus Arata's win wasnt ridiculous, they literally show how he calclulated all the ghost cards and the cards that were read from the future plays that happened and slowly was reducing the lead without murao noticing. Thats why murao says its not just talent, Arata has hard work too and it ended on a happy note.
You are just looking at the surface value, while there is so much depth and value to the scenes depicted in the episode with that match.

I can understand it was disappointing to not see Harada and suo's match which i was looking forward to as well & also other qualifier matches, but just because of that you cant take away the beautiful and intense display of karuta & the relationship between murao and arata.

You need to look more beyond the usual exciting matches and see what it means to the characters and their development and what they try to portray with their games & conversations. Thats what makes this series is so amazing.
But its your perspective at the end. So whatever makes you happy .


Summarized my thoughts perfectly. Honestly people are never satisfied, first they complain about how Arata doesnt have enough screentime and development. Now we finally got both, and they still complain. This episode so far has to be the best of the season yet, and it only gets better and better with each episode.


I really dont understand. How can people overllook and just ignore such beautiful games and character development.
This was one of the best episodes with all that beautiful animation and plot delivery.
Still can imagine that calm flowing water animation with those tranquil sounds. Madhouse definitely has in more store for us.
 
Dec 11, 2019 7:27 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 166
sweetangie said:
OMG, THIS EPISODE IS TOTALLY AWESOME: Arata is really focused just the way I love it <3: his match against Murao carried a lot of affections and tense attention of winning really brought Arata a huge challenge he never expected and yes I'm so happy he came through it: THAT'S OUR BOY!!!! Seeing Arata inner thoughts of guilt during the match brought into a field of darkness that reflects Arata's insecurity: for Arata feelings bad looking down of Taichi affected him so much that for a moment he lost focus of the game where he was going through a moment of crisis and brought back his most painful memory of his grandpa's funeral. I'm sure through the time where Arata stopped playing karuta after his grandpa passing that was the image in how he saw the karuta cards throughout the whole time, poor Arata... he must have suffered a lot;_; I can't stand seeing my boy suffering and I hope he doesn't have to go see that phrase again. -_- I'm so grateful that Murao was his opponent who snaps Arata out of it and brought him into the present seeing the light and a beautiful cherry blossom scenery into the field: OMG that scene really brought me into tears. and even after the match where Arata was crying and Musao told Arata to smile: THAT'S SO CUTE: Musao surely is like Arata's big brother he could of have: their bond is so sweet and true. Now the moment is here, Arata will be challenging against Harada at the Meijin challenger match: THE MOST EPIC MATCH OF THE SEASON JUST AWAITS: OMG I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! XD


Watching Arata cry on in his arms after the match was really emotional
Best part when murao said "smile or ill get depressed",
Arata smiled and then Murao is like "Dont actually smile moron, it will make me more depressed" xD
 
 
Dec 11, 2019 7:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 267
One of the best episodes till now? I even can't choose any of them because all the episodes to this time were incredible and so enjoyable to me.
What can I say about the job of Madhouse? Just amazing, so beautiful animation and OST, simply perfect.
Next match seems it's gonna be pretty intense, can't wait to see them play it.
-¡Give yourself to me!
 
Dec 12, 2019 3:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2022
This episode made me appreciate the chapter of the manga more. It didn't have the same effect while reading it. It was better and funnier animated but definitely not the best episode of all. At least for me. Kudos to Madhouse for the whole adaptation up till now, following the manga in a very accurate way with some miss outs. Like the first time we see Suou San in the manga is when he speaks to Taichi whearas in the anime that is out....

Of course if you're an Arata fan, it was an episode focused on him on a more personal level. He finally was having some inner struggles pictured,saying "Taichi, you are in my way!". He is as jealous as Taichi, only he is far away and doesn't go through the constant torture Taichi does....anyway it was nice to see some focus on Arata.

After 2 seasons and especially all those team matches, and stuff they go through....I can't help but loving the team, Chihaya and Taichi most.
The fact that Arata is far away and didn't go through all that stuff these last 2 years in manga time just makes him feel distant......which he literally is. It's just too late for me to let him into my heart, even if he's nice or whatever......my focus is already elsewhere.
Modified by chiakimagoto, Dec 12, 2019 8:49 AM
 
Dec 12, 2019 9:01 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 166
chiakimagoto said:
This episode made me appreciate the chapter of the manga more. It didn't have the same effect while reading it. It was better and funnier animated but definitely not the best episode of all. At least for me. Kudos to Madhouse for the whole adaptation up till now, following the manga in a very accurate way with some miss outs. Like the first time we see Suou San in the manga is when he speaks to Taichi whearas in the anime that is out....

Of course if you're an Arata fan, it was an episode focused on him on a more personal level. He finally was having some inner struggles pictured,saying "Taichi, you are in my way!". He is as jealous as Taichi, only he is far away and doesn't go through the constant torture Taichi does....

After 2 seasons and especially all those team matches, and stuff they go through....I can't help but loving the team, Chihaya and Taichi most.
The fact that Arata is far away and didn't go through all that stuff these last 2 years in manga time just makes him feel distant......which he literally is. It's just too late for me to let him into my heart, even if he's nice or whatever......my focus is already elsewhere.


His level of jealousy cant be compared to taichis. Taichis jealousy goes as far as to try keep Arata and Chihaya away from each other and even when Arata politely asks him as a friend on how to make a karuta team, his insecurity just peaks and he brushes him off. Arata did look down on taichi in terms of karuta but never treated him that way and always considered him as a friend.

Arata has had his share of troubles, his grandfather dying and him suffering alone with his favorite passion karuta dead to him. Plus he didnt have people to support him and cheer him on like taichi does. All his club members, Harada sensei, the society members. Taichi suffers worst sure, but its not like arata didnt go through tough times.

Its never too late to understand a character just because he was kept in the distance for the starting two seasons. Theres a reason people love him because he has that much impact even with less screen time. Just need to have a open mind and give time for the character development. I didnt like taichi at the start for being a selfish bratty kid who bullied arata and wanted to keep chihaya away from him, but he is slowly growing to be a great character and maturing as well, which i am looking forward to.

But then again its your choice whom you like, cant force you. :)
Modified by Kipo0007, Dec 12, 2019 9:06 AM
 
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

Preview MangaManga Store