Forum Settings
Forums

Looking for a Fantasy/Medieval anime that isn't focused on Action and Adventure.

New
Dec 9, 2019 7:13 AM

Mar 2014
Looking for an anime in a Fantasy or Medieval setting that isn't focused on action and adventure but instead focuses on other things like the day to day life, the economy, politics, romance etc.

Some excellent examples:

Spice and Wolf - while it does have quite a bit of adventuring it also focuses on the economy (since the MC's a merchant) and the relationship between the two main characters.

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime - Focuses a lot on the MC's career as a herbalist and the relationship between her and the prince and the politics surrounding it.

Ascendance of a Bookworm - a more recent example but once again focuses on MC's hobby and passion for books and her adapting to this new world while applying her knowledge from her world before she got isekai'd.
Dec 9, 2019 7:44 AM
Dec 9, 2019 9:52 AM

May 2012
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin has some action sequences, but mostly it follows the life of young Erin as she grows from eight to eighteen. She yearns to follow in her mother's footsteps and become a veterinarian to sacred beasts. Along the way it is discovered that she has a special power which involves her in a civil war.

Seirei no Moribito, by the same author, anthropologist Uehashi Nahoko, also has some extended slice of life sequences. A bit more action than in Erin since the main character in Moribito is a spear-wielding female bodyguard protecting a young prince from assassins.

Hyouge Mono is set during the Sengoku period and features all the famous names from that era like Oda Nobunaga and Toyotomi Hideyoshi. There are a couple of set-piece battles, but they aren't the focus of the show by any means.

Saiunkoku Monogatari features a heroine who wants to become the first female official of her fantasy empire. Modeled on T'ang China (600-900 CE). Most the conflicts among the clans are political, and military force is rarely used.

Junketsu no Maria takes place in France during the Hundred Years War (1337-1453). The main character is a witch who is trying to stop the fighting by intervening among the officers and troops in varying ways. A good part of the story concerns her struggles with the Catholic Church whose local clergy object to her witchcraft.

Kaguya-hime no Monogatari is a film that retells a famous Japanese story about a princess who came down from the moon and was adopted by a Japanese woodcutter and his wife.

+Saraiya Goyou - first thing that came to mind, though it's set in the later Edo period. One of my favorite OPs, "Sign of Love" sung by Immi. RIP, Manglobe.

SeijiSenseiDec 9, 2019 10:01 AM
Dec 9, 2019 10:45 AM

Mar 2014

Interesting though at first glance I would've thought it would have quite a bit of action. The only thing is the art style is a bit much for me (it's mainly the faces).
SeijiSensei said:
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin has some action sequences, but mostly it follows the life of young Erin as she grows from eight to eighteen. She yearns to follow in her mother's footsteps and become a veterinarian to sacred beasts. Along the way it is discovered that she has a special power which involves her in a civil war.

Seirei no Moribito, by the same author, anthropologist Uehashi Nahoko, also has some extended slice of life sequences. A bit more action than in Erin since the main character in Moribito is a spear-wielding female bodyguard protecting a young prince from assassins.

Hyouge Mono is set during the Sengoku period and features all the famous names from that era like Oda Nobunaga and Toyotomi Hideyoshi. There are a couple of set-piece battles, but they aren't the focus of the show by any means.

Saiunkoku Monogatari features a heroine who wants to become the first female official of her fantasy empire. Modeled on T'ang China (600-900 CE). Most the conflicts among the clans are political, and military force is rarely used.

Junketsu no Maria takes place in France during the Hundred Years War (1337-1453). The main character is a witch who is trying to stop the fighting by intervening among the officers and troops in varying ways. A good part of the story concerns her struggles with the Catholic Church whose local clergy object to her witchcraft.

Kaguya-hime no Monogatari is a film that retells a famous Japanese story about a princess who came down from the moon and was adopted by a Japanese woodcutter and his wife.

+Saraiya Goyou - first thing that came to mind, though it's set in the later Edo period. One of my favorite OPs, "Sign of Love" sung by Immi. RIP, Manglobe.

Wow quite a few suggestions, Kemono no Sou-ja Erin especially seems just what I was looking for.
I've been meaning to watch Seirei no Moribito but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Hyouge Mono seems more "epic" than what I was looking for, I was looking for a more personal story (should have mentioned that in op).
Saiunkoku Monogatari seems alright, will give this a shot.
Junketsu no Maria, already watched it. It was pretty good.
Kaguya-hime no Monogatari, was looking more for an episodic series than a film

Thanks for the suggestions.
Dec 9, 2019 11:59 AM

May 2012
Oh, Hyouge Mono is quite a personal story. We watch all the events through the eyes of Furuta Sasuke (later Oribe), a vassal of and messenger for Nobunaga. He is obsessed with collecting the pottery and artworks used in traditional tea ceremonies. Like the warlords and others in the story like Sen no Rikyu, Furuta is an historical personage who created a style of Japanese pottery still in use today.

You'll quickly get used to the art style in Saraiya Goyou.

Shurrei in Saiunkoku Monogatari is one of my favorite anime heroines.
Dec 9, 2019 9:07 PM

Aug 2019
While Jewelpet does have awesome action at times, it's not a battle shonen.
Dec 10, 2019 11:34 AM
Feb 2014
I think you should give Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi a try then.

I would also recommend Shoukoku no Altair, while it does have action at times and adventuring is a pretty big part of it, politics and the economy also have a big focus in the anime as well!
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280

More topics from this board

» Can someone please put me on to some sad anime

Fischer77 - 4 minutes ago

0 by Fischer77 »»
4 minutes ago

» Non-hentai anime with traumatizing rape?

stanklem28 - Feb 7, 2014

40 by Omega90 »»
4 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - Yesterday

26 by PostMahouShoujo »»
4 hours ago

» new season, need recommendations

silversaint - Yesterday

6 by DMind »»
Today, 2:05 AM

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

12 by PostMahouShoujo »»
Today, 1:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.