Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 9, 2019 4:04 AM
Dec 2017
(sorry my english is a quite bad)
Ok so i just caught up to the haikyuu manga and maybe its just me but im a little disappointed. Im not talking about the beach volleyball stuff btw.
Yea i do see the point of this, like if the story cotinue from that and we see year 2&3 it would get a little repetitive and karasuno has to rebuild the team from scratch.
We didnt see the top 2&1 aces in action, and hinata's growth to become ace. All we got is a bit of flashback on how far they made it in their 2nd & 3rd year. (Also yamaguchi is the captain apparently, i mean he is the most normal one out of them)
Or maybe thetimeskip can be shorter, for example from that to their final year, as they lost to Date Tech in their 2nd year. And maybe we could see some development of the 4 rookies and how senpai they become, or the small giant giving some advices to hinata too. It feels like a missed potential due to the great rivalry built by karasuno and other team.
Dec 9, 2019 8:34 AM

Sep 2018
No matter how you think about it, it is a let down after all. This manga had so much forshadowing and expositon about other teams and players, that it's now dissapointing to see only glimps of it.
Slam dunk also ended in the simillar way, but the ending was 2 chapters long, and it had much less expositon about other teams, and also didn't give any forshadowing about the future of a Shohoku.
Both manga dissapointed nevertheless.
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Dec 10, 2019 11:21 AM
Jul 2017
chair-sama said:
No matter how you think about it, it is a let down after all. This manga had so much forshadowing and expositon about other teams and players, that it's now dissapointing to see only glimps of it.
Slam dunk also ended in the simillar way, but the ending was 2 chapters long, and it had much less expositon about other teams, and also didn't give any forshadowing about the future of a Shohoku.
Both manga dissapointed nevertheless.

Slam dunk focused more on sakuragi's development via basketball than the actual basketball.
Haikyuu is more volleyball focused since they give ample time to matches that are not of Karasuno.
Even I was Ted to see the 2nd year and 3rd years that they spent. But I think Furudate will definitely provide flashback chapters. They are paramount in timeskips.
I think they will start around the time hinata returns back to Japan.
Truthfully, I am quite enjoying the current arc. It's been well written and unpredictable so it's been a quite interesting read.
"You are the result of 4 billion years of evolution. Act like it."
"Why don't you eat make up? Then you can be beautiful on the inside too."
"'Sick'? Call me 'twisted'. 'Sick' makes it sound like there's a cure."
"What's messed up isn't my thinking, what's messed up is this god damn world."
"The world isn't perfect, but its out there doing the best it can for us. That's what makes it so damn beautiful."
Dec 10, 2019 11:24 AM
Jul 2017
Nobodyisnobody said:
Ok so i just caught up to the haikyuu manga and maybe its just me but im a little disappointed. Im not talking about the beach volleyball stuff btw.
Yea i do see the point of this, like if the story cotinue from that and we see year 2&3 it would get a little repetitive and karasuno has to rebuild the team from scratch.
We didnt see the top 2&1 aces in action, and hinata's growth to become ace. All we got is a bit of flashback on how far they made it in their 2nd & 3rd year. (Also yamaguchi is the captain apparently, i mean he is the most normal one out of them)
Or maybe thetimeskip can be shorter, for example from that to their final year, as they lost to Date Tech in their 2nd year. And maybe we could see some development of the 4 rookies and how senpai they become, or the small giant giving some advices to hinata too. It feels like a missed potential due to the great rivalry built by karasuno and other team.

We actually saw the #2 ace in the match against fukurodani where Bokuto solos the match and Akashi had a nervous breakdown. That baldy.
But I wanted to see Sukasa in action. Shocking that Itachiyama lost.
Wish they had shown the next matches in the nationals.
"You are the result of 4 billion years of evolution. Act like it."
"Why don't you eat make up? Then you can be beautiful on the inside too."
"'Sick'? Call me 'twisted'. 'Sick' makes it sound like there's a cure."
"What's messed up isn't my thinking, what's messed up is this god damn world."
"The world isn't perfect, but its out there doing the best it can for us. That's what makes it so damn beautiful."
Dec 22, 2019 10:22 AM

Oct 2018
It can't be worse than food wars and bleach ending, even though I know he's rushing it we don't know how long will he stretch this final arc.
Jan 24, 2020 9:36 AM

Nov 2013
I just got to this point in the manga, and honestly the let down is extreme for me :/ I had a lot of headcanons about them as 2nd and 3rd years, I had hoped to see Tsukki become closer to the team and their friendships to spark more as they all would naturally mature. I was trying to guess and had rational talks with myself about who'd be captain and why, wondered how far they'd get next time..

And now it's a hole that's been left behind with subtle information here and there, Hinata's wallpaper is adorable and i'm glad it made it in but it's not easing the feeling any more.

I know it would have dragged on so much more after this, how the 1 year alone took so much but.. i'm really disappointed and i'm not saying I wont read on or that beach volley wont be fun to see it's just theirs so many memories and moments, pieces and matches I had expectations would happen with all the foreshadowing and mentioning in the past.

I wanted some kind of canon world where I could pat myself on the back if any of my headcanons about how the team would be in their 2nd and 3rd year were correct, but that fun's been squashed straight after that defeat that already left me quite emotional
Jan 25, 2020 3:21 AM

Jun 2009
I just learned about the timeskip. What absolute dogshit. This is not how you write sports manga. Major did school sports better.

Fuck Furudate.
Jan 26, 2020 7:56 AM

Aug 2015
Yeah I was surprised and shocked myself. I honestly wanted more and wanted to see the rest of the matches. Still kind of in my feels after catching up last night.
Jan 26, 2020 2:35 PM

Sep 2018
I have to admire sth- at first I also was kind of... confused? I mean- we grew up with Karasuno development and their matches, we sought to see their road to winning nationals, but didn't we forgot about what this manga was? It wasn't about some high school volley team, but about competition between two, complete opposite characters, yet very similar. MC- Hinata swore to beat Kage and stand on the court as last and Kage decided so as well. Karasuno was only an episode in life of these two.

Reading manga now I feel Furudate compensated us previous time skip. I'm so excited reading every new chapter, where we could see almost everyone in their adulthood and paths, which they chosed
Jan 29, 2020 10:14 AM

May 2016
LienAlexandretta said:
I have to admire sth- at first I also was kind of... confused? I mean- we grew up with Karasuno development and their matches, we sought to see their road to winning nationals, but didn't we forgot about what this manga was? It wasn't about some high school volley team, but about competition between two, complete opposite characters, yet very similar. MC- Hinata swore to beat Kage and stand on the court as last and Kage decided so as well. Karasuno was only an episode in life of these two.

Reading manga now I feel Furudate compensated us previous time skip. I'm so excited reading every new chapter, where we could see almost everyone in their adulthood and paths, which they chosed

Absolutely agree. The time skip was unexpected and a bit off-putting at first, but it makes sense that the story went to a point in time where Hinata and Kageyama get to battle it out. (And the series would be soooo long if they went through all of high school before that... I probably wouldn't complained, lol, but I can respect if Furudate didn't want to have an insanely long series. Plus, how many original storylines and rivalries can you really have over three years of high school?)

And I'm really loving these latest chapters!
Feb 1, 2020 4:16 PM

Feb 2020
I can‘t believe I actually finally signed up here only to tell you how much I love the timeskip. I saw so many people ranting over skipping the two years, even saw people attacking Furudate-sensei on twitter verbally, without giving the upcoming chapters a chance first.

What i‘m going to say isn‘t new but it can’t be said often enough.
I was indeed surprised as well in the beginning but thinking it through it was really the only possible way. Many people forgot the main „goal“ of the plot. Hinata wants to defeat Kageyama.
Also in the past months before the time skip, every time i was constantly asking myself, how can you top this? And it hit me rock hard when Kenma told Hinata to „stay interesting“. We‘ve all gotten used to his quick attacks and high jumps with the time and there were‘t many options left to surprise the reader.
Honestly as much as I wanted to have like 1000 chapters of Haikyuu really think the stuff you can do in a sports manga are limited. It‘s just not like a fantasy story where you can just create new things all the time. Two other school years would have been too time consuming and well... probably boring with the time. And i feel like Kageyama after the last match „winning the finals, i wanted it to be with this team“.

Great thing Hinata decided on playing beach volleyball to bring his abilities to a new level. It was a brilliant decision of the author in my opinion and I‘m so hyped for the last arc.

Also saying things like this was just a decision to end the series quickly is bullshit i think it was planned like that, there was even a reference to brazil in one of the first episodes.

And last but not least, wow Hinata really got muscular lol.
Feb 3, 2020 12:05 AM
Aug 2018
Ocat1234 said:
I can‘t believe I actually finally signed up here only to tell you how much I love the timeskip. I saw so many people ranting over skipping the two years, even saw people attacking Furudate-sensei on twitter verbally, without giving the upcoming chapters a chance first.

I was indeed surprised as well in the beginning but thinking it through it was really the only possible way. Many people forgot the main „goal“ of the plot. Hinata wants to defeat Kageyama.
Also in the past months before the time skip, every time i was constantly asking myself, how can you top this? And it hit me rock hard when Kenma told Hinata to „stay interesting“. We‘ve all gotten used to his quick attacks and high jumps with the time and there were‘t many options left to surprise the reader.
Honestly as much as I wanted to have like 1000 chapters of Haikyuu really think the stuff you can do in a sports manga are limited. It‘s just not like a fantasy story where you can just create new things all the time. Two other school years would have been too time consuming and well... probably boring with the time. And i feel like Kageyama after the last match „winning the finals, i wanted it to be with this team“.

Great thing Hinata decided on playing beach volleyball to bring his abilities to a new level. It was a brilliant decision of the author in my opinion and I‘m so hyped for the last arc.

Also saying things like this was just a decision to end the series quickly is bullshit i think it was planned like that, there was even a reference to brazil in one of the first episodes.

Furudate took a really big risk by leaving things open (at the time) and just jumping 7 years into the future, and it payed off well like you said. I also think it's planned out, but even if that's isn't the case, he's still managed to connect it all pretty smoothly, he clearly know what he's doing.
Feb 3, 2020 1:23 AM

Oct 2019
I was pretty disappointed, all things considered. I honestly expected them to lose at nationals, say goodbye to the third years and then introduce some crazy first years to make the story more interesting.
I mean with the way they built up such a huge supporting cast I really believed we'd just get more volleyball goodness as Hinata learned more and polished his skills against new opponents, maybe even teaching his kouhais a thing or two.

I understand why it happened, like people have said before me, I don't think it's an excuse to rush the ending. I get that it would be hard to keep coming up with new plays and ways for the characters to improve. I also believe it makes sense in terms of the story seeing as Hinata's overarching goal wasn't to win nationals with Karasuno, it has always been to beat Kageyama.

Don't get me wrong, I like where this last arc is going, I love that Hinata and Kageyama are finally competing in a match instead of being teammates, I just wish there wasn't a time skip before it.

(On a side note was I the only one hoping for a Hinata-Yachi romantic subplot or nah)
marinara-sauceFeb 3, 2020 1:29 AM
Feb 9, 2020 4:30 PM
Jan 2019
I just caught up to the manga and I don't necessarily think the timeskip is all that bad. Sure, we would've liked to see the the 2nd and 3rd years, but the thing is that the whole point of the manga is for Hinata to beat Kageyama. It is disappointing that we didn't get to see Hinata and Kageyama defy the odds and win the National tournament, but one thing about Haiyuu that you don't get in a lot of sports anime/manga is that it is realistic. Sometimes you don't get to win the championship. Sometimes you are left with a bad taste in your mouth that you have to live with for the rest of your life, which Hinata and Kageyama certainly have to do.
Overall, I don't necessarily agree with the decision to have the timeskip, but I would rather see a satisfying ending where Hinata finally beat Kageyama than have the manga go another 2 or 3 years and end without a real resolution (*cough* *cough* Baby Steps)
Feb 16, 2020 6:47 PM

Oct 2013
Timeskip is the best thing that happened in the manga so far. Yeah it was unexpected but it's turned out really great so far. So refreshing to see the professional scene and not stuck in high school.
Mar 25, 2020 3:14 PM
Aug 2014
I'm hoping with a bit of luck we get an OVA similiar to the one with had Land vs Sky, but instead we get the see some of the other great games from the Nationals Arc that's currently airing that would be really cool too see.

But all in all the timeskip I'm all for it I'm just sad it's going to probably end after this Exhibition Match.
Mar 26, 2020 10:01 AM
Oct 2019
While the time skip did leave a confused and not 100% satisfied feeling, i'd still say it was necessary for the story, it was just very abrupt in a sense that left most people dissatisfied.
Mar 26, 2020 10:01 AM
Oct 2019
While the time skip did leave a confused and not 100% satisfied feeling, i'd still say it was necessary for the story, it was just very abrupt in a sense that left most people dissatisfied.
Jan 2, 2021 7:33 PM
Jun 2019
Nobodyisnobody said:

Agreed, timeskipping made them miss a lot of potential since Karasuno never got to become champions, and it should be interesting to see how the others will get used to the new 1st years without their 3rd year senpais
Jan 2, 2021 7:33 PM
Jun 2019
Nobodyisnobody said:

Agreed, timeskipping made them miss a lot of potential since Karasuno never got to become champions, and it should be interesting to see how the others will get used to the new 1st years without their 3rd year senpais
Feb 21, 2021 2:27 PM
Jul 2020
Ocat1234 said:

glad I'm not the only one thinking this way. I'm still at the beginning of the time skip (ch.375) but I already understand what Furudate wanted to point out for us. although I hope seeing some flashbacks to 2nd and 3rd school year, reading this kind of plot is still hella exciting!

relationship between Hinata and Tooru is the most precious!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Chapter 294 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2018

9 by Charylle »»
Apr 10, 2:02 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Chapter 369 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2019

43 by Ironhide1125 »»
Feb 24, 12:44 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Chapter 365 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2019

26 by Ironhide1125 »»
Feb 24, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Chapter 357 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 12, 2019

15 by Ironhide1125 »»
Feb 19, 7:11 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Chapter 53 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 11, 2013

6 by Luma2 »»
Feb 19, 6:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.