Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Dec 9, 2019 12:33 AM
I don't know how popular Fruits Basket was back in the day but I guess it was quite popular if they're remaking this with multiple 2-cour seasons.

But after all these years... why now? What triggered the studios to decide to animate a 13-20 year old series over a bunch of newly popular manga/light novels waiting for an adaptation? Did something happen?

Dec 9, 2019 12:54 AM

For the same reason any other anime gets a remake or old manga gets an adaptation... Money. And if it was popular before can be popular now too for new generation. And of course this time is a full adaptation.

And the author was surprised too when they want to remake this, so she accepted with some requests https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-19/natsuki-takaya-full-comments-for-new-fruits-basket-anime/.139699

Dec 9, 2019 2:56 AM
ScarRufus said:
For the same reason any other anime gets a remake or old manga gets an adaptation... Money.

Most adaptations are to promote the source material to increase book sales. And that is for ongoing series that haven't ended yet.

There hasn't been a new Haruhi anime because the author has been on hiatus for a decade now. No book to promote.

There is the off chance that the anime is popular enough to make boatloads of money after a hit season like Attack on Titan.

A remake is a very rare occurrence. FMA:B was released to coincide with the manga ending. Sailor Moon Crystal was to promote some decades long anniversary plus Sailor Moon is iconic in veins of DBZ.

Production quality on this is quite good unlike Karakuri Circus so it is quite curious what triggered the remake? Some producer that was a fan of the series got enough power in the industry? A reprint going on?

But your link answered it somewhat, thanks.
Modified by coolxal, Dec 9, 2019 3:00 AM

Dec 9, 2019 4:10 PM
Why was Dororo redone after almost 50 years from when the last anime adaption was done? Company saw a story that could interest today’s generation if redone correctly, and make money off of it in the process. Seems pretty simple to me, but I could be wrong

Dec 10, 2019 6:50 AM
The manga had its 20th anniversary recently, which included a new collector's edition release of the manga, and a short sequel series called Fruits Basket:Another, both which sold very well. The original manga is one of the most popular and sustained shojo series in Japan. Due to these factors, it's really not surprising that it would be getting a new adaptation to finally tell the whole story correctly.