Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 8, 2019 2:38 AM
Jul 2018
I've seen it before, and chances are, you have as well. Personal attacks and insults directed at an user in his comment section duo to controversial reviews. Heck, they even comment on dead accounts, why would someone do that?

I sometimes do leave RIP or press F to pay respect to 'dead' reviewers, but I would never go out of my way to post insults at them. I don't understand what would anger someone to go and hate people for their opinions.

What do you think of this behavior? Have you come across it? Have you suffered from it? Share your views and experiences here!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 8, 2019 2:47 AM
Apr 2016
Insulting a person over their views is inappropriate. Courteously letting the primate know his perception is as clouded as the Albion and his worldview is easily mistaken for a Swiss cheese, is appropriate... though better idea is to counter-argument whatever stupid claims you believe were made in the review.
THOUGH definitely appropriate for whoever does a "1" score reviews. Bail those neanderthals out of my platform.
Re:formed
Dec 8, 2019 2:56 AM

Jan 2011
Aye, I member the butthurt surrounding that one shitty music video.
Dec 8, 2019 3:18 AM

Oct 2010
Back in 2011 I made a review for samurai girls, it was a relatively short review but it wasn't controversial, it was just mediocre (I scored the show a 6 or 5). Animesnob came to my profile to insult me and laugh at me, I didn't respond to him. Years later my review had 8 helpfuls and 4 unhelpfuls, I deleted it because there were better reviews for samurai girls.

But when someone comes with arguments to combat your views on a certain anime you have to combat it. If he insults you, just leave him alone, he's just a fanboy.
Dec 8, 2019 3:20 AM
Jul 2018
Catalano said:
Back in 2011 I made a review for samurai girls, it was a relatively short review but it wasn't controversial, it was just mediocre (I scored the show a 6 or 5). Animesnob came to my profile to insult me and laugh at me, I didn't respond to him. Years later my review had 8 helpfuls and 4 unhelpfuls, I deleted it because there were better reviews for samurai girls.

But when someone comes with arguments to combat your views on a certain anime you have to combat it. If he insults you, just leave him alone, he's just a fanboy.

Wait, wait, wait. You mean, THATAnimesnob? Like the guy on YT?

Nice advice btw.
Dec 8, 2019 3:22 AM

Oct 2010
AkaneManiac said:
Catalano said:

Wait, wait, wait. You mean, THATAnimesnob? Like the guy on YT?

Nice advice btw.

Yes, thatanimesnob, from yt, back then he was called on mal roriconfan.
Dec 8, 2019 3:24 AM

Aug 2017
That deserves a warn at least, and if it continues, a ban.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 8, 2019 3:28 AM
Jul 2018
I'm going to insult you OP! Why don't you have any comments on your profile? Why have you got a mean score of 10 rating anime? Why have you only listed two anime? Why is your signature a tiny box in the right hand corner? What are you? Are you even a real person? What is this?
Dec 8, 2019 3:34 AM
Jul 2018
FlowersInTheRain said:
I'm going to insult you OP! Why don't you have any comments on your profile? Why have you got a mean score of 10 rating anime? Why have you only listed two anime? Why is your signature a tiny box in the right hand corner? What are you? Are you even a real person? What is this?

I can assure you that I am a real person. Just go through my posted threads that go back to the mid of 2017, wow. I deleted them. That deserves the 10. Where is there a requirement to add everything you have seen to your animelist? Looks aesthetically pleasing. I'm what my username implies, an AkaneManiac! Used to be known by a different nick tho. Happy?
Dec 8, 2019 3:43 AM
Jul 2018

I am happy that your avatar has purple hair :)
I am sad that you deleted all of those people's comments on your profile. Those poor souls. What did they do to deserve being silenced like that?
Dec 8, 2019 3:54 AM

Mar 2019
op why do you only have 2 anime and jojo part 5 listed, do you use other anilists ? Why do you have a cowboy bebop movie a anime and jojo part 5 specifically? Usually people that dont register their anime dont even add 1 anime to their list. Anyway i find insulting people for their opinion a stupid thing that shouldnt be done.
Dec 8, 2019 4:02 AM

Nov 2018
We live in a society

where some people can't handle other people's opinions, and those who're offended attack people for having "controversial" or different opinions.

It's no different to politics and public speakers, (especially in the US), so don't think too much on the hateful comments by the offended, as it's not important

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Dec 8, 2019 4:29 AM

Oct 2017
Why not? At least that way the reviewers know they're being "recognized" by the public.
Dec 8, 2019 4:46 AM
Jul 2018
I’ve been indirectly attacked for my opinions. Mods delete my threads. I’ve written two reviews and only gotten a total of three upvotes.
Dec 8, 2019 5:12 AM

Oct 2018
_cjessop19_ said:
We live in a society

I stopped reading it after this because I thought it would be meaningless.
Dec 8, 2019 6:17 AM

Feb 2019
It makes sense to insult some reviewers who are just writing the review to shit on anime for example shitting on yuri anime for being gay or a simple CGDCT anime for not being gay.
Dec 8, 2019 6:29 AM

Dec 2018
Some minor things from hurt fan boys. Couldn't care less about them

I have got more positive comments and pm from people liking me reviews! That means the world for me and easily weighs out the negative stuff

Some people have minor criticism and questions about my reviews! That is alright and i welcome it as long people dont behaving toxic towards my person!

And if I see a review that i really dont agree with, I rather make my own and take up the things I like about the anime but not attacking the other review or the person who made it!!

To fight with people over the internet is total meaningless, and noting im going to waste my time with!

Dec 8, 2019 7:33 AM
Feb 2017
Imagine reading reviews on MAL OMEGALUL.

Yeah those people are childish though.
Dec 8, 2019 7:46 AM
Jan 2018
AkaneManiac said:
Have you come across it?

Ah, yes.
Ut was when I reviewed SAO: Alicization's first 10 episodes (because it was supposed to be 52 episodes long but got split cour-d); the perfect time to review it too, because episode 10 especially showed that SAO did not improve in any way besides the animation.

When it reached the most "helpfuls", SAO fanboys started attacking me a lot. Extremely funny. I still have some comments from them on my profile.

The review got removed, sadly. It wasn't a standard review; I covered the show cronologically instead of listing "Art, Animation, Characters...".
Dec 8, 2019 7:49 AM

May 2016
I've had a few people throw bile at me, but I don't let it bother me--after all, I'm the Arbiter of Absolute Truth. I am always right, therefore they are always wrong.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Dec 8, 2019 7:55 AM

Feb 2010
That's a trick question, I would have to read reviews to even know if they want to make me insult somebody or not.

ReaperCreeper said:
Aye, I member the butthurt surrounding that one shitty music video.

Yes the butthurt for Zergs Shelter review was legendary. It really brings out the best in the anime community if someone dares to say that a random cute girl is not enough for a 10/10.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 8, 2019 8:01 AM

Mar 2018
Of course it this, do you know how many reviews take jabs at fans. It's all part of the flamewars everyone should participate in, if you don't I have to doubt how much of a true anime fan you are. Don't let boomers discourage you.
poop
Dec 8, 2019 9:27 AM

Mar 2012
I should try write something worth to be insulted sometimes.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Dec 8, 2019 9:30 AM

May 2016
You should always insult someone over their reviews. Nothing makes a reviewer happier than to see people so absolutely butt blasted over the fact that someone has a different opinion than them.

The reviewer does not seek validation or converts, they seek antagonists. To rob them of this enjoy is the bane of a reviewer's existence.
Dec 8, 2019 9:33 AM
Jul 2018
Yudina said:
You should always insult someone over their reviews. Nothing makes a reviewer happier than to see people so absolutely butt blasted over the fact that someone has a different opinion than them.

The reviewer does not seek validation or converts, they seek antagonists. To rob them of this enjoy is the bane of a reviewer's existence.

So to you every reviewer is like ThatAnimeSnob?
Dec 8, 2019 10:42 AM

Apr 2019
i hate it when i see this. I like to make fun of people for scores in a friendly way. people can't respect other peoples opinions, but who cares what people like this think. honestly, lets not pay attention to these types of people
Dec 8, 2019 11:06 AM

Jan 2009
the golden rule though? if you talk shit then others will talk shit at you lol
thats how freedom of speech is according to free speech lovers
Dec 8, 2019 11:09 AM

May 2018
If others don't respect mine, then I don't respect theirs.
Dec 8, 2019 11:16 AM

Jan 2009
red1130 said:

what if the reviewers are dsirespectful on his reviews like adding words "if you enjoy this stuff then youre an idiot" or "this anime is insulting human intelligence" something implied like that at least
Dec 8, 2019 11:22 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
red1130 said:

what if the reviewers are dsirespectful on his reviews like adding words "if you enjoy this stuff then youre an idiot" or "this anime is insulting human intelligence" something implied like that at least

Well, in these kind of cases I'm gonna say they are asking for it, as they intentionally antagonize the fanbase of the show that they are critiquing. If that is the case, then they deserve it, as their intentions are to go pick a fight rather than simply review the show.
Dec 8, 2019 11:25 AM

Jan 2009
AkaneManiac said:
deg said:

Well, in these kind of cases I'm gonna say they are asking for it, as they intentionally antagonize the fanbase of the show that they are critiquing. If that is the case, then they deserve it, as their intentions are to go pick a fight rather than simply review the show.

how about this is the "worst anime ever made" kind of reviews while adding a lot of misinformation or fake news is that disrespectful enough too?

Dec 8, 2019 11:27 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
AkaneManiac said:

how about this is the "worst anime ever made" kind of reviews while adding a lot of misinformation or fake news is that disrespectful enough too?

No, as long as it isn't a personal attack or jab at the fanbase, I don't see it as an insult. It is left for the interpretation of the reader as how he wants to consider it.
Dec 8, 2019 11:30 AM

Jan 2009
AkaneManiac said:
deg said:

No, as long as it isn't a personal attack or jab at the fanbase, I don't see it as an insult. It is left for the interpretation of the reader as how he wants to consider it.

so even exaggerations on reviews are fine then huh

welp the problem with that is reviews are meant to be read and can influence a lot of people so fake news stuff should be disrespected at least imo

constructive criticism should be use by MAL more than destructive criticism
Dec 8, 2019 11:33 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Of course it's acceptable. Hostility is more fun and rewarding than people give it credit for, and, in the inverse, patience is a lot less rewarding than people act like.

Yes, I shall present myself as a nice person who is infinitely tolerant of all disagreements whenever expressing my opinions on something to earn the social approval of the people on an online anime forum! Woohoo!

Dec 8, 2019 11:35 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
AkaneManiac said:

welp the problem with that is reviews are meant to be read and can influence a lot of people so fake news stuff should be disrespected at least imo

A review is a way for a viewer to express his thoughts about something. It is a personal work, so he has all the right to put whatever he feels and thought of the series in there. The reader himself can take it at face value or to heart. They can do their own research or stop there and take the thoughts of someone else as their own. Either way, they have only themselves to blame.

Manaban said:
Of course it's acceptable. Hostility is more fun and rewarding than people give it credit for, and, in the inverse, patience is a lot less rewarding than people act like.

Yes, I shall present myself as a nice person who is infinitely tolerant of all disagreements whenever expressing my opinions on something to earn the social approval of the people on an online anime forum! Woohoo!

I agree that having a balance is the best alternative imo. Too much of either is harmful.

That is just being a sellout, I'm not advertising that way of thought, wow. On the other hand, acting like a jackass and retard on the internet just because it lets you let steam off with no irl repercussions isn't much better either. Just sad, and kinda funny for me actually.
removed-userDec 8, 2019 11:40 AM
Dec 8, 2019 11:38 AM

Jan 2009
AkaneManiac said:
deg said:

A review is a way for a viewer to express his thoughts about something. It is a personal work, so he has all the right to put whatever he feels and thought of the series in there. The reader himself can take it at face value or to heart. They can do their own research or stop there and take the thoughts of someone else as their own. Either way, they have only themselves to blame.

ok what if users insulted the favorite anime of the reviewer on his comment section for example? is that acceptable?

and also i added this
Dec 8, 2019 11:44 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
AkaneManiac said:

ok what if users insulted the favorite anime of the reviewer on his comment section for example? is that acceptable?

and also i added this

It actually is. It is their right to like and hate whatever they want... should the other person feel bad for some other random person insulting his favorite japanimation show on the internet? They can take it as a personal attack, but that would be silly. Now, if it is waifus/husbandos we are talking about, then yeah, that would be a personal attack directed at their loved one!

That is true.
Dec 8, 2019 11:45 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
AkaneManiac said:

That is just being a sellout, I'm not advertising that way of thought, wow. On the other hand, acting like a jackass and retard on the internet just because it lets you let steam off with no irl repercussions isn't much better either. Just sad, and kinda funny for me actually.

I have a lot of fun with it and I heavily recommend being a dickhead to people who are interested. And if it makes you laugh, then hey, I always consider myself more of a showman about these things than much else.

Dec 8, 2019 11:46 AM

Jan 2009
AkaneManiac said:
deg said:

and also i added this

It actually is. It is their right to like and hate whatever they want... should the other person feel bad for some other random person insulting his favorite japanimation show on the internet? They can take it as a personal attack, but that would be silly. Now, if it is waifus/husbandos we are talking about, then yeah, that would be personal attack directed at their loved one!

That is true.

ok especially attacking them waifus is especially taboo stuff lol

so i take it you are against reviews having comments section then?
Dec 8, 2019 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
AkaneManiac said:

It actually is. It is their right to like and hate whatever they want... should the other person feel bad for some other random person insulting his favorite japanimation show on the internet? They can take it as a personal attack, but that would be silly. Now, if it is waifus/husbandos we are talking about, then yeah, that would be personal attack directed at their loved one!

That is true.

It is horrible and immature. Attack the person personally instead of bringing up his wife, pls.

Nah, that is actually a pretty neat idea, kinda like Goodreads? That would be interesting. Will serve for more investment from the audience in reviews.
Dec 8, 2019 11:50 AM

Jan 2009
AkaneManiac said:
deg said:

It is horrible and immature. Attack the person personally instead of bringing up his wife, pls.

Nah, that is actually a pretty neat idea, kinda like Goodreads? That would be interesting. Will serve for more investment from the audience in reviews.

but you know too well that it will become personal insult battleground though like this kind of thing happens on the profile comments section what more on a dedicated review comments section?
Dec 8, 2019 11:50 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
AkaneManiac said:

Tbh all I would do is try to find new STDs to refer to the bad reviews as.

Dec 8, 2019 11:52 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
AkaneManiac said:

but you know too well that it will become personal insult battleground though like this kind of thing happens on the profile comments section what more on a dedicated review comments section?

Heavy moderation will be needed, but otherwise the idea is much better than what we have today on MAL.
Dec 8, 2019 12:03 PM

Jan 2009
AkaneManiac said:
deg said:

Heavy moderation will be needed, but otherwise the idea is much better than what we have today on MAL.

heavy moderation is what kills the forum activity here on MAL though like you cannot discuss controversial topics but ok
Dec 8, 2019 1:06 PM

Aug 2016
I'd just tell them their review sucks for whatever following reasons I have for saying so, no need for personal attacks.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Dec 8, 2019 1:11 PM

Dec 2015
Don't really know if it's insulting someone, but when people is writning a bunch of crap that has nothing to do with the review I sometimes ask them if they are Okej or if I shoud call a doctor for them.

To make review shoud be something you are proud over, it's not a way to write a bunch of shit that has nothing to do with anime.

Some people really shoud get some help.

I feel bad for the moderators on this page, it's like a daycare here to time to time.

Dec 8, 2019 1:19 PM
Jul 2018
Reviewers can type whatever they like, as long as they dont go into "avoid at all costs" or "definitely watch" territory
Dec 8, 2019 8:03 PM

Apr 2015
Well, you can't vote reviews "unhelpful" now, so the next best thing to do is tell the reviewer how much it sucked.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 8, 2019 9:24 PM

Jul 2017
*their
female reviewers exist too

it reflects their insecurity
Dec 9, 2019 1:59 AM

Jul 2019
Yes. When I wrote my review of sds s3. I just said it was crap and he went and left a comment of my profile and it goes "YOU ARE FUCKING TRASH." So yeah. Later the review also got deleted.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

15 by Lucifrost »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

43 by Toooooooooohru »»
13 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

71 by AzafuseKingTora »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

25 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
21 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

21 by Vendicator »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.