Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Dec 6, 2019 1:29 PM
I noticed the score is decresing in a strange way. Considering how large is the number of people who scored SAO, the drop of 0.6 in a month is so much weird. Opinion about that?
Also, I noticed every series decrease in score periodically, it’s some sort of a bug?

Edit: It looks like the same is happening to any other SAO series, it’s more and more weird.
Modified by Famegher, Dec 6, 2019 1:38 PM

Dec 7, 2019 2:29 PM

There's been a bit of a trend lately with a few shows getting "review bombed" - lots of robot accounts setting it to a 1/10 and seemingly doing it to shows that are popular (or have a very loving fanbase). Although I'm not sure why they'd pick SAO, since it's issues are fairly universally known and has a massive amount of followers.

Dec 7, 2019 4:01 PM

Hm, that’s actually weird. As stated above it’s probably just some bot accounts. Hopefully MAL solves it soon.

Dec 8, 2019 6:06 AM

BlakexEkalb said:
Hm, that’s actually weird. As stated above it’s probably just some bot accounts. Hopefully MAL solves it soon.

Just saw on another post about Chihiyafuru (where this is a fairly large issue if you look at the stats for third season) they're working on a more permanent fix that will prevent this kind of thing. No idea on ETAs, etc.

Dec 8, 2019 1:37 PM
So it’s a serious problem of mal. It’s sad to see people do such stupid things...
Hopefully they will fix the scores

Dec 8, 2019 11:00 PM
It only dropped 0.06, not 0.6. I just took a look at new member stats and none of them are trolls or bots.

Edit: Look at this graph
https://www.animegraphs.com/ro/home/anime/11757/interval,all.html

It doesn't have the past few months data, but it shows that the score steadily went down 0.01 over time. It's just normal for it to be at 7.49 right now.
Modified by tuanguyen, Dec 8, 2019 11:15 PM

Dec 9, 2019 3:12 AM
I was meaning 0.06, it’s my mistake. But, considering the number of people had scored sao, it’s too weird. Also considering what’s happening to the other sao series such ordinal scale which lost 0.10 because it was 7.98 and now is 7.88 in one month. In the same month Alicization goes from 7.74 to 7.66 and the second season had the same problem. I’m saying a month but it’s happens in less than a month, for example ordinal scale goes from 7.98 to 7.90 in a night or like this. Considering what’s happening with other series, not only sao, it’s veey weird. But, seem the admin of mal are doing something.

Dec 15, 2019 12:58 PM

Oh wow, people don't like things. More after the break.

Next!

Dec 17, 2019 12:40 PM
Famegher said:
I was meaning 0.06, it’s my mistake. But, considering the number of people had scored sao, it’s too weird. Also considering what’s happening to the other sao series such ordinal scale which lost 0.10 because it was 7.98 and now is 7.88 in one month. In the same month Alicization goes from 7.74 to 7.66 and the second season had the same problem. I’m saying a month but it’s happens in less than a month, for example ordinal scale goes from 7.98 to 7.90 in a night or like this. Considering what’s happening with other series, not only sao, it’s veey weird. But, seem the admin of mal are doing something.

No, there was just a large increase in user activity between the recent months due to Alicezation, number of members increased by 100k since it's air date, which is reasonable. Lots of them just didn't rate it above 8, thus dropping the score.

SAO is going to seem extremely average to the new anime watcher in this climate since there's an over saturation of isekai and SAO isn't actually unique. Won't see this happen with Code Geass for example, movie came out stayed the same score, although the move was worse. or Attack on Titans which progressively got higher scores.

Dec 17, 2019 12:53 PM

Don’t pay to much attention to the scores, they often get review bombed. Take Chihayafuru 3, it has been review bombed so heavily that 20% of the ratings are a 1. This is a problem with any website like this and it’s not something that can easily be fixed. If you want to see a more accurate score just look at the scores most of the written reviews gave it, it can still be hit or miss but it’s a million times more accurate then looking at the score.

Scores also change over time. It could be new accounts being created or new seasons sparking interest in a series and those people then giving it a higher or lower score which can easily change a shows rating by a small amount. Considering this is about SAO which is a popular anime it doesn’t surprise me. I’m pretty sure it’s in the top 5 most viewed anime so there is a good chance that new people on the website would’ve seen it so it isn’t surprising that the score changed by a bit.
Modified by Monochrosanity, Dec 17, 2019 1:03 PM

You’re Loved

Dec 19, 2019 8:23 AM
What’s weird is the drop of a certain amount in score by a day to another. If we consider the amount of people which has scored SAO, that is weird. Another weird thing is that happens to other sao series at the same time. I agree with people that the scores means nothing but it’s a curiosity and it’s more after I heard things happened to other series.

Jan 1, 4:13 AM
^ Except the drop in those graphs only looks incredible. It actually isn't that extreme.

Since we're seeing a drop of 0.06 across nearly a year, and the score is likely are rounded to the hundreths place in the DB, we don't have data for any .001 or .0001 changes.

Famegher said:
Another weird thing is that happens to other sao series at the same time.

It's likely people that are watching SAO for the first time, or people who wanted to re-watch and adjusted their scores.

Also, scoring is absolutely subjective. I initially rated a lot of things 8/10 or higher, but I did that without really realizing that something with a 5/10 should be an average show that isn't necessarily good, but still something to watch that you'll somewhat enjoy.

Edit: I'm actually amazed that SAO still has above a 7 considering how many people hate it to death. I personally love it because I look past the gaping holes in the story, because honestly, the story still makes 100% sense because there's so much more source material in the LNs that was left out (from my understanding, never read the LNs).

But, if you were to rate it objectively, it should really get something like a 5 or 6.

I honestly think ratings would be more accurate if they were separated into "subjective" and "objective". "Subjective" would be how the show feels to you and how much you enjoy it. "Objective" should require a very deep analysis of a minimum amount of categories about the show, from the story itself to visuals, audio, etc.
Modified by DarkSwordsmanTV, Jan 1, 4:17 AM

Jan 10, 10:22 PM
I think it's a general drop in general considering people are not rating shows as high as before but it might be what the other users said too.

Jan 12, 8:47 AM
Nick-Knight said:
More and more people are realizing that is not that good. I have lots of friends (and my date) who love disagree with my scores. I gave it a 4⁴/10 while everyone else gave it 7/10 and above. I'm a harsh critic while some of them went easy on it.

If you think people are realized that sao is not good then check the "recent update by"
You will see that the most of the accounts that are rate SAO IS NEW ACCOUNT that created in recent days and giving it low scores

Jan 12, 9:01 AM

Sakuta34_12 said:
Nick-Knight said:
More and more people are realizing that is not that good. I have lots of friends (and my date) who love disagree with my scores. I gave it a 4⁴/10 while everyone else gave it 7/10 and above. I'm a harsh critic while some of them went easy on it.

If you think people are realized that sao is not good then check the "recent update by"
You will see that the most of the accounts that are rate SAO IS NEW ACCOUNT that created in recent days and giving it low scores
It’s the third most popular anime on this site so it’s only natural that a good chunk of people creating profiles on this site would have seen it. Checking the recently updated tab shows a variety of different scores, some high and some low.

You’re Loved

Jan 12, 9:59 AM
Monochrosanity said:
Sakuta34_12 said:

It’s the third most popular anime on this site so it’s only natural that a good chunk of people creating profiles on this site would have seen it. Checking the recently updated tab shows a variety of different scores, some high and some low.

I don't think its fair because they watched 50-100 anime in only one or two day.
How can its possible??

Jan 12, 10:22 AM

Sakuta34_12 said:
Monochrosanity said:

I don't think its fair because they watched 50-100 anime in only one or two day.
How can its possible??

If they’re new accounts it wouldn’t surprise me. When I first joined this website I probably would have had around 80 anime completed. Not every anime fan uses this website and many just join to see how many days they’ve spent watching anime, that was the reason why I created my account. Scores are constantly changing even for the anime in the top ten. Don’t worry about an anime’s mean score or whatever someone scored it since that doesn’t matter in the long run. The only thing that matters is that you enjoyed it and nobody can take that away from you^^

You’re Loved

Jan 12, 10:35 AM
Monochrosanity said:
Sakuta34_12 said:

How can its possible??

If they’re new accounts it wouldn’t surprise me. When I first joined this website I probably would have had around 80 anime completed. Not every anime fan uses this website and many just join to see how many days they’ve spent watching anime, that was the reason why I created my account. Scores are constantly changing even for the anime in the top ten. Don’t worry about an anime’s mean score or whatever someone scored it since that doesn’t matter in the long run. The only thing that matters is that you enjoyed it and nobody can take that away from you^^

That can be possible for some account not for every new account

Jan 12, 10:38 AM

Sakuta34_12 said:
Monochrosanity said:

That can be possible for some account not for every new account

Probably isn’t for all accounts but it isn’t worth the effort trying to find out the legit accounts.

You’re Loved