Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 3, 2019 5:06 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Title says it all: What do you guys think is game of the decade?

In this list I mainly took games that have gotten high/highest critical acclaim over the past decade or have had such an impact that they're still relevant even now.

As a side note, I looked through some pages and didn't find any similar threads so I apologize if someone did make one before.

AntwanMantillaDec 4, 2019 4:59 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 3, 2019 5:26 PM

Apr 2016
Depends on your criteria.

In terms of impact? Minecraft and fortnite without a doubt.

In terms of actually being good? almost all of them.

Mine would be the souls franchise. They made a new genre "souls-like" and they're just really fucking good.
Dec 3, 2019 6:12 PM

Sep 2019
Take these garbage games off the poll and make League of Legends the only option. LoL has been the top dog for an entire decade, and for good reason. Numbers don't lie. These other games aren't even worthy of being mentioned. End of discussion.

I am a god

Even though I'm a man of god

My whole life in the hand of god

So y'all better quit playing with god

Dec 3, 2019 6:15 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Jokah said:
Take these garbage games off the poll and make League of Legends the only option. LoL has been the top dog for an entire decade, and for good reason. Numbers don't lie. These other games aren't even worthy of being mentioned. End of discussion.

LoL is a great game for sure. I love it but it's not the only game the represents the decade alone.
Dec 3, 2019 6:27 PM

May 2018
Either Bloodborne, God of War 4 or The Last of Us.
Dec 3, 2019 6:36 PM

Sep 2019
AntwanMantilla said:
Jokah said:

LoL is a great game for sure. I love it but it's not the only game the represents the decade alone.
Yes it is. Even if it wasn't, if there absolutely had to be one game to represent this decade, it would, without a shadow of doubt, be LoL. Meanwhile, it's not even on the poll (lol).

Honestly, the poll in general is just laughably bad.

I am a god

Dec 3, 2019 6:44 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Jokah said:
AntwanMantilla said:

Yes it is. Even if it wasn't, if there absolutely had to be one game to represent this decade, it would, without a shadow of doubt, be LoL. Meanwhile, it's not even on the poll (lol).

LoL initially released near the end of 2009 if I'm not mistaken. I could make an exception and add it to the list, yeah.
AntwanMantillaDec 3, 2019 6:54 PM
Dec 3, 2019 8:33 PM
Jul 2018
NieR: Automata, Persona 5 and Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Dec 3, 2019 11:18 PM

Sep 2019
AntwanMantilla said:
Jokah said:

LoL initially released near the end of 2009 if I'm not mistaken. I could make an exception and add it to the list, yeah.
Your point? LoL is an ever-changing game. When you think of LoL, you likely don't think of the LoL that was released in late 2009. If you look at its current iteration, it may as well be a new game, but it's not, because Riot (bless) provides us with new content for free.

Meanwhile, the ''sequel'' for Overwatch (trash game that shouldn't even be in the poll) is literally just a PvE game mode that's being marketed and sold as a ''new'' game.

I am a god

Dec 3, 2019 11:25 PM

Apr 2013
Was a hard decision between Skyrim and Witcher 3, in the end I chose Skyrim though. That pure freedom combined with mods just makes an amazing game. LoL and Mass Effect are also cool.
Dec 3, 2019 11:30 PM

Dec 2018
Nier Automata Dark Souls and The Elder Scrolls is the better if you ask me ,Haven't played all of them. think I would love Bloodborne but with xbox game pass and anime I dont have time fore more consoles

And Bioshock Infinite have the best game waifu ever!! Elizabeth love you honey!! You are my number one video game girl!!!

Dec 4, 2019 12:07 AM

Mar 2018
No DMC5... Please commit seppuku, OP.

As an anime fan, it'd be Persona 5 hands down. I haven't even played most of the games in the list.

Dec 4, 2019 3:21 AM

Jun 2019
Pretty good picks I'm seeing here. Celeste, HK and TWD(1st season that is) are the games I love dearly. Then there are obvious choices like Dark Souls, GTA V, MSG V, Mass Effect, Portal, TW3 and Undertale that were still fun to play in their own rights.

I have quite the amount of games here pretty high on my wishlist, like Inside, Limbo and Ori. And if I ever decided to buy myself a ps4, I'll try P5, GoW, The last of us and Bloodborne first and foremost. Same for the counterparts of Switch games.

Op, you may as well add Hotline Miami, Katana Zero, The Evil WIthin 2, RE7 and other well-known/infamous titles. Or just add "Others" option lol.

I'll just go with The Walking Dead this time coz I don't think anyone's gonna pick it due to the last 2 seasons being meh. But objective winner would probably be Hollow Knight.

ブレ
ブレ
ブレ
ブレ

Dec 4, 2019 5:17 AM
Jul 2018
Jokah said:
AntwanMantilla said:

The poll is fine.
As long as Dark Souls and Bloodborne are present it doesn't really matter.
Dec 4, 2019 7:41 AM

Jul 2017
From a critical standpoint I think it would go to either Zelda, Persona, or The Witcher (and maybe Skyrim). But if it were me, I would give it to Minecraft. Literally became the world's best selling game and went viral TWICE in a span of a decade. Won't be surprised if it went viral again in like 2025 or something.
Dec 4, 2019 7:49 AM

Jul 2017
Polygon's top games of the decade:
10. Fortnite
9. The Witcher 3
8. Dark Souls
7. P.T
6. LoL
5. Pokemon GO
4. Kentucky Route Zero
3. Spelunky
2. Zelda BOTW
1. Minecraft

I guess the top 2 were on my list. Glad that Minecraft came on top. So far ok with the list, I have no idea what Kentucky Route Zero is and why Spelunky is no 3. Very pleased that P.T made it, that shit is the horror games of all horror games. Surprised Skyrim didn't make it, that game was a pretty big deal in 2011-2012.

edit: just watched the trailer for Kentucky Route Zero. Very much an indie game. Legit looks like a nice story focused game with a side scroll point and click action (?). Idk why it's as high as number 4 tho, maybe its the pioneer of its type or something. Added to my wishlist on steam
deimos96Dec 4, 2019 8:02 AM
Dec 4, 2019 7:51 AM

Jan 2009
i voted DOTA2 just because of how fun to spectate that game is IceFrog is a god of balancing an esports game like that, im not a gamer though but i watch and follow games news and esports like DOTA2 sometimes, you can also add CSGO and its another Valve game too
Dec 4, 2019 8:22 AM

Oct 2018
Of the games on that list, I'd say Skyrim, Minecraft or GTA V, as I still play those years after I started them, which is something that I don't really say often for games. Skyrim probably wouldn't be as relevant now if it wasn't for all the mods being made for it and all the content in vanilla that is still being discovered. Minecraft is mostly the "chill and relax" type of game when it comes to creative mode, and the sandbox nature of the game is mainly why I like it. The open world and sheer amount of things that you can do on GTA V is why I still like it. Hard to narrow down to just one of those though.
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Dec 4, 2019 8:41 AM

Jul 2007
ジンコウガクエン2, obviously.
Dec 4, 2019 9:05 AM

Sep 2012
The Witcher 3 is probably the best overall package.

Amazing story, characters, writing, atmosphere.
Lots of content in a very detailed world.
Great and engaging combat system.
Incredible soundtrack and sound design.
Phenomenal DLC/expansions that are worth your money and are even better than some games named here by themselves.

Game is a masterpiece. I really doubt we will see something of that quality ever again, every bit of news I heard about Cyberpunk 2077 makes me a bit concerned, doesn't look like it will surpass this one.
Dec 4, 2019 4:58 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Renkini said:
No DMC5... Please commit seppuku, OP.

As an anime fan, it'd be Persona 5 hands down. I haven't even played most of the games in the list.

Lol, I'm not a huge DMC fan but I loved DMC 5. It's my personal GOTY, I added it to the list. P5 was amazing as well and I'm excited to revisit it in the Royal.

Fleeting_Dream said:
Of the games on that list, I'd say Skyrim, Minecraft or GTA V, as I still play those years after I started them, which is something that I don't really say often for games. Skyrim probably wouldn't be as relevant now if it wasn't for all the mods being made for it and all the content in vanilla that is still being discovered. Minecraft is mostly the "chill and relax" type of game when it comes to creative mode, and the sandbox nature of the game is mainly why I like it. The open world and sheer amount of things that you can do on GTA V is why I still like it. Hard to narrow down to just one of those though.

Completely agree with everything you said. Out of the 3 though, I think that Minecraft will always stand the test of time and be relevant just cause it's all about being creative. A simple concept that goes a long way because of the tools your given to make whatever you want in it.

Shitaste said:
Op, you may as well add Hotline Miami, Katana Zero, The Evil WIthin 2, RE7 and other well-known/infamous titles. Or just add "Others" option lol.

I was thinking of adding an "others" option tbh. I might as well.
Dec 4, 2019 8:14 PM

Feb 2019
Fallout New Vegas is from last decade, AKA the best decade for games when every good franchise started or hit its peak.

It's not listed, but Layers of Fear has my vote. The game manipulated your environment in such an unsettling way that I haven't seen since. Rooms shifted when you turn around, surfaces warping, objects coming to life, it was all very fun to see. Alien Isolation is my runner-up.

I prefer Shinovi's story myself but it's always nice to see Senrans represented.
Dec 4, 2019 11:46 PM

Dec 2018
Life is strange before the storm need to be mention .A wonderful lesbian romance .One of the best story's ever in a video game!! One of my favourite games of all times!! And it have lesbian kissing!!,,,YEEEES!!!!

Dec 5, 2019 12:41 AM
Oct 2019
Truth be told for me, none of those lol. I like some of those titles but not for a "Game of the Decade" but that's my opinion.
Dec 5, 2019 12:45 AM
Jul 2018
Damn so many good games on that poll but I'd have to stick with Persona just because I'm a Persona fanboy. Sucks that you didn't include Spiderman though because that game was amazing
Dec 5, 2019 2:01 AM

Apr 2019
Minecraft based on statistics and facts alone.
Skyrim based on "NSFW" and the test of time.

They'd have to make Minecraft 2 by the Decade 2020 because TES:VI is coming out

Dec 5, 2019 4:32 PM

Jul 2011
IMO Fallout New Vegas, only game I still play sometimes (Overall I don't play games much anymore, but sometimes)

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Dec 5, 2019 11:11 PM

Feb 2015
Minecraft, easily. A game that offers near endless possibilities, only limited by your own creativity. A game quite unlike any other that came before it. Also comes with free content updates on a yearly basis, which thanks to it, I still regularly play 7-8 years after buying it. Easily the best $15 I ever spent on entertainment.
MilenninDec 5, 2019 11:14 PM
Dec 6, 2019 6:41 PM
Jul 2018
apex legends on the poll LUL

imagine
Dec 6, 2019 8:08 PM

May 2012
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
Dec 7, 2019 12:22 PM

Feb 2008
Honestly, I'm torn between either Dark Souls or Red Dead Redemption 2. Both of these games accomplished so much and are near-perfect packages overall. RDR2 told an even better story than, say, The Last of Us for me. Chapter 6 is a legitimate masterpiece in storytelling.

I personally prefer Bloodborne over Dark Souls. But the impact Dark Souls had, and the the lack of a PC port for Bloodborne (being stuck at 30 FPS really hurts the game at points) makes Dark Souls have a slight edge.
Dec 7, 2019 5:35 PM

Oct 2019
For me, it's got to be Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, with Super Mario Galaxy 2 in second.
Dec 7, 2019 6:21 PM

May 2018
Objectively, I'd say either RDR 2 or Zelda: BOTW. I am tempted to say Uncharted 4 just because I adore the series as well, but I won't.

Both have moved the "AAA" game label to another level. R* is known for crafting expansive worlds with replayability (Even if it comes at a heavy price to their employees). And Nintendo never fails to capture the worldwide audience with Zelda ever... Always increases the bar with each installment.

And here I am still waiting for a new installment to Resident Evil that is as good as the fourth one... :(
Dec 7, 2019 7:36 PM

Aug 2014
My personal pick would be Borderlands 2. I've been obsessed with it since July and clocked in over 700 hours so far.
Dec 7, 2019 8:11 PM

Mar 2016
Tough choices, but It’d be either:
Skyrim
Witcher 3
Persona 5
RDR 1 and RDR 2

Skyrim, Persona 5, and Witcher 3 were the games that I found most memorable and enjoyable. I found myself playing through them again or finding new content. They hold a special place for me, and when I recall them, I only recall the fun times I had with them. I still recall being in 9th grade when I was playing Skyrim and being hyped for getting my first dragon shout. Good times.
Red Dead Redemption franchise also holds a special place because it gave me one of the best stories you can find in games, great fucking memorable characters, and an overall great experience that left me feeling empty after finishing RDR 2. The story in itself is a masterpiece to the point the gameplay is just the icing on the cake.
Shishou_23Dec 7, 2019 8:17 PM
Dec 8, 2019 12:50 AM
Jul 2018
Why is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in the poll, xd? It’s literally one of the worst games I have ever played in my life.

Anyway, I’m probably gonna go with VLR.
removed-userDec 8, 2019 1:13 AM
Dec 9, 2019 4:38 AM

Feb 2019
Minecraft for the impact for sure. While it is comparable to Fornite right now with it being the big Thing all the kids are playing in that sense, the endless replayability of Minecraft added with all of the extra content made by the community is widely unparalleled. I really honestly think the battle royal style which seems to be top dog right now is going to fizzle out because of it's rinse and repeat gameplay.

On a personal level, I think I'd give it to BOTW and P.T. BOTW because it was the first Zelda game in a very long time I genuinely felt revived what Zelda was originally meant to be and one of the only games for the switch that, in my opinion, really showcased the capabilities of the console. Pokemon I love you, but after seeing such an expansive and detailed games, the other switch games seem boring to me. And P.T. is just because of the absolute mind game of an experience it was and the theories about Kojima's true message behind it are so interesting. Those are definitely the two that come to mind where I remember exactly where I was when I first heard of them.
Dec 9, 2019 4:44 AM

Apr 2013
What did you do to the poll? I voted Skyrim, but now my vote sits on RDR2 lol
Dec 9, 2019 8:28 AM

Jan 2019
for overall i gonna choose minecraft for the game of decade, for the mobas i still sticking to dota2 (why? its esports-game revolutionary, the first game who raising prize money for single tournament up to 1 miliion dollars at 2011 and still to this day have a total high prize and up to 35 million dollars, beside lol who have larger audience here tho, no hate for both games. cause i know how hard both games tho.)

Digibutter64 said:
For me, it's got to be Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, with Super Mario Galaxy 2 in second.

i agree for smash bros too, this game have a huge impact too for fgc scene. espcially smash community

nb: this post is from my perspective as esports watcher and enthusiasm
Dec 9, 2019 10:08 AM

Jan 2016
Tie between DOOM '16 and Ori and the Blind Forest for me.
Dec 9, 2019 5:18 PM
Jul 2018
Skyrim easy.. no doubt in my mind. Next decade TES 6 hopefully let's go!

Honorable mention to Life Is Strange (incl. Before the storm).
Dec 10, 2019 4:56 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Gator said:

hmmmm, thats so odd. All I ever did was add more options.

If that were to have some effect on users votes then I had no idea beforehand lol.
Dec 10, 2019 11:59 PM

Apr 2013
AntwanMantilla said:
Gator said:

hmmmm, thats so odd. All I ever did was add more options.

If that were to have some effect on users votes then I had no idea beforehand lol.

Did you add 4 options by any chance? Because Skyrim is 4 options under RDR2, so my vote might have stayed at the same position, despite the list getting longer. Which would be a really weird MAL implementation of a poll lol
Dec 11, 2019 12:08 AM

Jul 2009
I'm going with Bloodborne on that list, though I don't mind picking The Witcher 3 instead. The latter is honestly a better game as a whole, but I find the former slightly more enjoyable.
Dec 11, 2019 12:16 AM
Jul 2018
Super Street Fighter 4 and its many iterations.

I haven't played any other game as much as the SF4 series. Also the first game I really tried to compete against others online in. Learned alot. Made many good friends.

KairoSeijuro said:

imagine

Apex is a really solid shooter. I wouldn't say best of the decade though. My fav shooter this decade is Battlefield Bad Company 2. Close contenders for me include Apex Legends, Overwatch, Black Ops 2 and Destiny.
removed-userDec 11, 2019 12:22 AM
Dec 11, 2019 12:27 AM
Jul 2018
FlowersInTheRain said:

KairoSeijuro said:

imagine

Apex is a really solid shooter. I wouldn't say best of the decade though. My fav shooter this decade is Battlefield Bad Company 2. Close contenders for me include Apex Legends, Overwatch, Black Ops 2 and Destiny.

BFBC2 is the best FPS ever

I didn't realize it was this decade tbh that's most likely the best game post 2010
Dec 11, 2019 12:12 PM

Nov 2019
KairoSeijuro said:
FlowersInTheRain said:

I didn't realize it was this decade tbh that's most likely the best game post 2010

Bc2 it's good but i think bf4 (if we don't count the bad launch) is far more better, Though maybe is because bc2 online is dead while bf4 is still alive.

Howewer if we are talking about the best fps that place belongs without a doubt to cs source (or 1.6) or tf2
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Dec 11, 2019 12:18 PM
Jul 2018
PraiseTheSun123 said:
KairoSeijuro said:

Bc2 it's good but i think bf4 (if we don't count the bad launch) is far more better, Though maybe is because bc2 online is dead while bf4 is still alive.

Howewer if we are talking about the best fps that place belongs without a doubt to cs source (or 1.6) or tf2

counter strike and team fortress 😴😴😴

BF4 was fine but the maps weren't as godlike as BFBC2
Dec 11, 2019 1:01 PM

Nov 2017
Other; Tomb Raider (2013)

plz @ me
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

46 by 0arche »»
38 minutes ago

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

9 by FanofAction »»
4 hours ago

» Rarest/Coolest gaming related things you own.

SnipeStrike - 8 hours ago

3 by Theo1899 »»
6 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3503 by DesuMaiden »»
10 hours ago

» What's a hated game that you actually enjoyed?

SnipeStrike - Apr 13

26 by Theo1899 »»
Today, 1:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.