Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: More time travel/loop anime?

Dec 2, 8:09 PM
I feel like we dont have enough time travel anime. I always thought time travel was an excellent central idea for a show, given that it can easily be classified into genres like thriller, psychological, and all that deep shit without forcing itself too hard. When you look at examples of time travel anime, they all do particularly well. Do we not get enough because no one wants to go through the effort of writing a mind-bending plot like most time travel anime have, or am I just looking in the wrong places? Anyways, do we need more of it or not? I definitely think so

Dec 2, 8:13 PM
SAUCE

i like the idea too but given the experience, works that feature time traveling are usually full of plot holes
at the end it's hard to rationalize everything and maintain the balance

Dec 2, 8:21 PM
Time travel is one of the hardest things to write about, not even in just anime but in all mediums. People are very quick to point out plot holes and flaws in shows nowadays, so making a story based on time travel requires a lot of foresight and knowledge that most people don't have.

I mean, how many anime even handle time travel properly? The most obvious example of a good anime with time travel is Steins;Gate, but even then the time travel logic is a bit flawed.

I don't think we need anymore just yet, at least not until more information about how time really works is figured out. Writers only research difficult topics they aren't actually scientists, and even scientists are baffled by how time travel would work.

I wouldn't say no to anime involving just the idea of time instead of actual time travel. A character being able to see into the future isn't something I mind, and it's a whole lot easier to write without being inconsistent with what we know about time.

Dec 2, 11:03 PM
OnionKnightRises said:
Time travel is one of the hardest things to write about, not even in just anime but in all mediums. People are very quick to point out plot holes and flaws in shows nowadays, so making a story based on time travel requires a lot of foresight and knowledge that most people don't have.

I mean, how many anime even handle time travel properly? The most obvious example of a good anime with time travel is Steins;Gate, but even then the time travel logic is a bit flawed.

I don't think we need anymore just yet, at least not until more information about how time really works is figured out. Writers only research difficult topics they aren't actually scientists, and even scientists are baffled by how time travel would work.

I wouldn't say no to anime involving just the idea of time instead of actual time travel. A character being able to see into the future isn't something I mind, and it's a whole lot easier to write without being inconsistent with what we know about time.

Fully agree with this. Plot holes can occur very easily with travelling to the past. Time travel to the past is simply too difficult to successfully incorporate. Particularly when you consider the most common types of anime / manga that are usually produced. Sci-fi as a whole is not particularly popular, unfortunately.

Dec 2, 11:36 PM

Time travel is fun, but with all the paradoxical elements it brings about, it gets too messy.

Steins;Gate was the best and it’s the only one you need.

Dec 2, 11:58 PM

--ALEX-- said:
Time travel is fun, but with all the paradoxical elements it brings about, it gets too messy.

Steins;Gate was the best and it’s the only one you need.
well steins;gate is actually get confusing after suzuha n okabe using time machine.. the dmail is making more sense... Beside Steins;Gate, Madoka Magica is also really good time travel/time loop anime...
Oh, and I am actually looking for a girlfriend to talk about anime, novels, and beyond. If you are single and interested just tell me. (Serious)

Dec 3, 12:19 AM

Maybe what there isn't enough of is enough good time travel/time loop anime?

Maybe there is more out there that I and enough folks commenting may not have heard of because for whatever reason it never had the appeal to become popularized (moreso for manga that was never made into anime form).

Time travel is one of my favorite topics in Sci-Fi, but because it's so complicated, with different theories arising and being debunked and debated in the research world fairly regularly, there always seems like an identity crisis issue over which aspect of time travel to focus on, how realistic it should be to remain in-line with real world theory, and how this can be integrated organically to a story with actual characters and other things transpiring and not just remaining as a science lecture for the entire runtime.

How much focus should be put on making it believable and fitting a hard sci-fi model of being reconcilable with real world physics, such as focus on negative energy, harnessing wormholes, and such, and how much on the fallout for the characters involved? The philosophical debate?

Or, rather than the step by step physical process of time travel, exploring whether this, in effect, creates parallel universes and what those look like? A show could devote most of its time to exploring these mildly or radically altered parallel universes rather than getting bogged down in the actual mechanics of the time travel process? I feel like

I'm nearing the tail end of my first watch through Steins;Gate as we speak and will probably finish it tomorrow, and while I'm happy just to see a show not only incorporate time travel but revolve around it and appreciate a lot about the show, I've still noticed a lot of glaring plotholes in the first 20 episodes for story convenience purposes, and that's without even trying to be consciously nitpicky.

Dec 3, 12:33 AM

I've seen too many people unable to follow the simplest of time loops, so maybe that's why.

Dec 3, 12:46 AM

Imagine time travel titles becoming as popular as isekai is now...this automatically means we will be overcrowded by half-baked projects which are done fastly and cheaply in the rush to exploit the trend.

So maybe would be a good thing to have fewer but better done time travel animes.

Dec 3, 10:43 AM

It would be good to have more time travel anime, so that we can have different visions of this theme in anime. Until now there aren't so much serie about that, unfortunately.

Dec 3, 12:02 PM

I think it's a pretty reasonable number of series. I feel like this concept could go a bit haywire if it there where too many of them like isekai or whatever.

Dec 3, 12:04 PM

Dec 3, 12:10 PM
Don't know if you meant time loop as in a groundhog day kinda situation, also dunno if you were looking for suggestions, but The Tatami Galaxy has an extremely satisfying time loop in it! But I agree, rare to see.

Dec 3, 3:30 PM

The reason why it's so common to have time/dimension loops is because that plot twist is perfect for VN medium. It basically enables all of the routes to co-exist and cut out some repetition of information, but obviosly it gets pretty boring once you notice the trick. It might be less obvious in an adaption, tho