Forum Settings
Forums
Dec 2, 5:32 AM
#TeamAkko

So I've noticed looking at some profiles that a few of you choose not to rate any of the anime that you have watched. Why is this?

**New Track** - Bowsette's Castle
Little Witch Academia (TV) is ranked #510
#LWAshouldBeTop10
#AkkoDeservesBetter
#TeamAkko
#Justice4Akko

Are you getting Granblue Fantasy Versus?
My Music Productions & Lo-fi Edits

Dec 2, 5:34 AM

Because I can.

it's probably that they forgot to rate it.

Dec 2, 5:36 AM
Ready to Ruffle

I simply don't feel the need to; it served more of a purpose for other people than myself. I know how much I enjoyed something, and I prefer to convey that through words than an arbitrary number.

I wasn't particularly fond of the pressure that came with it either. Sometimes, I just wanna switch off while watching something and not have to think about what I'm going to score it.

Dec 2, 5:42 AM
I was thinking of doing this it's getting too tiring to think of ways on how I wanna score animes

Dec 2, 5:47 AM

With so many forum threads about complaining scores I'm starting to get why some people don't even bother with that.
I really enjoy those "helicopter ride" memes

Dec 2, 5:47 AM

Ratings are overrated

Character limit

Dec 2, 5:51 AM

It can be pretty long having to constantly change your anime scores especially after watching a highly rated one. For me personally I had to rescore most of the animes after watching better ones. This is because I used to be generous with my scoring.

Dec 2, 6:16 AM

Ratings are not something important. Some people use the list just to put things in order or split it up by genres, studios etc.
Some short explanations of opinion in tag windows can be more useful btw.
Also, many people interpret rating system differently, most of them don't even use all 10 scores.
Personally, I don't rate some titles because:
- It's hentai.
- I think it's unnecessary and rating these can deviate my mean score to be interpreted wrong - it's some ultra short videos, specials, commercials, recaps or short music videos.
- Some complicated things I'm not sure what score to give
- Something I think is not important. E.g. for some reasons I don't rate Ghibli's movies
- I just watched this too long ago and have bad memory on it, so I'm afraid I could be wrong at some points

Dec 2, 6:23 AM

Lelouch_Joestar said:
It can be pretty long having to constantly change your anime scores especially after watching a highly rated one. For me personally I had to rescore most of the animes after watching better ones. This is because I used to be generous with my scoring.

Same thing :D
I may rescore some titles after completing something new. I start comparing it with other titles I gave the same score and may find differences in quality/enjoyment, so I need to separate them one from another

Dec 2, 6:50 AM
#TeamAkko

Shymander said:
I simply don't feel the need to; it served more of a purpose for other people than myself. I know how much I enjoyed something, and I prefer to convey that through words than an arbitrary number.

Fair enough. Are you a person who has a super sharp memory? Because most people forget bits of things that they have experienced both good and bad. Many people including myself have watched a show and then years later looked at the rating and wondered why we rated it as such. Then rewatched the show and saw things again that we had forgotten and understood why we rated it such. Or we realise that we looked at things differently at the time and presently the rating that we gave doesn't fit anymore and so we change it.

#LWAshouldBeTop10
#AkkoDeservesBetter
#TeamAkko
#Justice4Akko

Dec 2, 6:54 AM

They don't want to think about rating anime. Just enjoying
“ᴛʜᴇ ꜰᴀᴄᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ ᴘʟᴀᴄᴇ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴ ʀᴇᴛᴜʀɴ ʜᴏᴍᴇ, ᴡɪʟʟ ʟᴇᴀᴅ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴏ ʜᴀᴘᴘɪɴᴇꜱꜱ. ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪꜱ ᴀ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ꜰᴀᴄᴛ.” – ᴋᴀᴡᴏʀᴜ ɴᴀɢɪꜱᴀ
➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵

Dec 2, 6:56 AM

I've rated Anime at the beginning when I came to MAL. Numbers only have worth in the present moment when you rate. Months later I didn't even know anymore what motivated me to give a show that number. So I completely stopped doing that stuff.

Dec 2, 7:01 AM

Because they don't care about ratings.

Dec 2, 7:02 AM

They might not know what to rate the anime or are stuck between two numbers.I personally rated all I saw.

Dec 2, 7:44 AM

I can't speak for other people but for me, some anime have been hard to rate, so I ended up not rating them, other times I've added an anime to my list long after I watched it and couldn't remember my enjoyment level etc.

Dec 2, 8:55 AM

Shymander said:

I wasn't particularly fond of the pressure that came with it either. Sometimes, I just wanna switch off while watching something and not have to think about what I'm going to score it.

Agreed. Going into a show with the plan of rating it just ain't the same as just downright enjoying it.
Ya boy is going to Con+Alt+Delete 2019 in Chicago! See you there!

Dec 2, 9:20 AM

At least for me, MAL is just where I keep track of the anime I've watched.
Yeah, I also get info for shows, and learn about upcoming ones, but the main reason I use MAL is to keep a list.

It's taken me 10 mins just to settle on writing this much, I don't want to deliberate with myself even more just to give a rating.

Watch whatever you want, and don't base it on how well I liked it.. my tastes/preferences are likely quite different from yours.

You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Dec 2, 2:16 PM

there is no reason to rate shows

the obsession people have on this site with number ratings is crazy

Dec 2, 3:16 PM
Maybe people don't rate anime because it might take the fun away from watching anime. For example, sometimes when I watch an anime I want to give it a good score and my gut tells me to rate it as mediocre.

Dec 2, 4:35 PM
#TeamAkko

KairoSeijuro said:

Obsession? The rating system is one of the defining features imo. Long before I realised that there was a forum I was trying to put together my PTW based on reviews, ratings and recommendations. It was difficult but now I see why. Some people don't rate and others have made up their own rating system. So nothing makes sense reading through reviews and looking at the ratings.

#LWAshouldBeTop10
#AkkoDeservesBetter
#TeamAkko
#Justice4Akko

Dec 2, 4:35 PM

I mean, 0.00 mean score is the only cool low mean score.

Dec 2, 5:06 PM

FlowersInTheRain said:
KairoSeijuro said:

Obsession? The rating system is one of the defining features imo. Long before I realised that there was a forum I was trying to put together my PTW based on reviews, ratings and recommendations. It was difficult but now I see why. Some people don't rate and others have made up their own rating system. So nothing makes sense reading through reviews and looking at the ratings.

im too lazy to actually go and find them but there's soooo many threads and posts from number rating obsessed people in anime discussion

personally i don't think the aggregated ratings are a good indicator of quality and ive learned over time it's better to have a couple trusted people for recommendations than try and get many opinions so I have no need for ratings in any way

when my peeps recommend me stuff they don't say "you should watch _________ it's an 8/10"

Dec 2, 5:17 PM
#TeamAkko

KairoSeijuro said:

when my peeps recommend me stuff they don't say "you should watch _________ it's an 8/10"

You have good peeps then. Because most of the people who recommended me stuff that I was friends with in the FGC or even people on the r/anime discord when MAL was down and I wanted to sign up but couldn't recommended a mixed bag to me.

They'd say, "Watch this show it's amazing!"

I'd watch it and think, "Eh? What's so good about this?"

Examples off the top of my head include: Bleach, One Piece, Elfen Lied, Kill La Kill, Mirrai Nikki, Mob Psycho, NGE, Fruits Basket, Space Dandy, Fate anything that isn't Zero, Demon Slayer (one of my fav youtubers said that if he were to recommend an anime to anybody it would be this one. Even if the person had never seen anime before) and more that I can't think of right now.

The good ones they recommended were: Mushishi, LWA, FMA/B, Death Note, Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, Code Geass, Claymore and most of the other anime I rated 9 or 10 because I found some like AICO Incarnation on my own on Netflix (why did nobody recommend that one? I've must have some bad peeps around me.)

#LWAshouldBeTop10
#AkkoDeservesBetter
#TeamAkko
#Justice4Akko

Dec 2, 5:18 PM
Ready to Ruffle

FlowersInTheRain said:
Shymander said:

Fair enough. Are you a person who has a super sharp memory? Because most people forget bits of things that they have experienced both good and bad. Many people including myself have watched a show and then years later looked at the rating and wondered why we rated it as such. Then rewatched the show and saw things again that we had forgotten and understood why we rated it such. Or we realise that we looked at things differently at the time and presently the rating that we gave doesn't fit anymore and so we change it.

Even if I don't always remember super specifics about what I enjoyed or didn't, I remember how I felt about it in general. Having a score makes no difference there. You've also laid out another issue I have -- standards change over time and thus scoring would need to as well, which is extremely bothersome.

Dec 2, 5:24 PM
#TeamAkko

Shymander said:
FlowersInTheRain said:

Even if I don't always remember super specifics about what I enjoyed or didn't, I remember how I felt about it in general. Having a score makes no difference there. You've also laid out another issue I have -- standards change over time and thus scoring would need to as well, which is extremely bothersome.

Very well. I see where you are coming from.

#LWAshouldBeTop10
#AkkoDeservesBetter
#TeamAkko
#Justice4Akko

Dec 2, 5:27 PM

I rate but not everything and almost never immediately after viewing it.

I don't want my enjoyment to be affected by the need to evaluate and be critical of it.

And I only rate when I feel like I have a relatively clear picture of how much I appreciated the work.

Dec 2, 5:30 PM

FlowersInTheRain said:
KairoSeijuro said:

You have good peeps then. Because most of the people who recommended me stuff that I was friends with in the FGC or even people on the r/anime discord when MAL was down and I wanted to sign up but couldn't recommended a mixed bag to me.

They'd say, "Watch this show it's amazing!"

I'd watch it and think, "Eh? What's so good about this?"

Examples off the top of my head include: Bleach, One Piece, Elfen Lied, Kill La Kill, Mirrai Nikki, Mob Psycho, NGE, Fruits Basket, Space Dandy, Fate anything that isn't Zero, Demon Slayer (one of my fav youtubers said that if he were to recommend an anime to anybody it would be this one. Even if the person had never seen anime before) and more that I can't think of right now.

The good ones they recommended were: Mushishi, LWA, FMA/B, Death Note, Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, Code Geass, Claymore and most of the other anime I rated 9 or 10 because I found some like AICO Incarnation on my own on Netflix (why did nobody recommend that one? I've must have some bad peeps around me.)

I do have some good peeps, they don't always hit with the recs but they know me well enough by now to do pretty well with it

for the most part i have a very good track record at picking things on my own based on synopsis, brief look at the characters/release date etc

I imagine FGC people would be a lot into the dragon ball/action oriented stuff

wish I had some FGC peeps uwu

Dec 2, 5:35 PM
#TeamAkko

KairoSeijuro said:

Might surprise you. They all like different things just like these forums. Infact half of the users on the forums I used to frequent had an anime girl as their profile picture. The other half had a anime fighter girl as their profile picture.

Wait my math is off. Some people had pictures of guys for some reason. Maybe they mained that character who knows?

#LWAshouldBeTop10
#AkkoDeservesBetter
#TeamAkko
#Justice4Akko

Dec 2, 5:36 PM

I'm lazy but I have been trying to rate more anime as I complete it, I still don't rate shows I drop or put on hold.
Don't listen to people who have anime characters as their profile pic.

Dec 2, 6:00 PM

FlowersInTheRain said:
KairoSeijuro said:

Might surprise you. They all like different things just like these forums. Infact half of the users on the forums I used to frequent had an anime girl as their profile picture. The other half had a anime fighter girl as their profile picture.

Wait my math is off. Some people had pictures of guys for some reason. Maybe they mained that character who knows?

the way you phrased that made it sound like it's weirder for a guy to have a pic of a guy xd ...my profile pic on these forums used to be Dudley from SF

and yeah I was just generalizing of course, I feel like anime and fighting games go together very well so it doesn't surprise me when players have more knowledge or tastes than just the well known action shows

Dec 2, 6:03 PM
#TeamAkko

KairoSeijuro said:
FlowersInTheRain said:

the way you phrased that made it sound like it's weirder for a guy to have a pic of a guy xd ...my profile pic on these forums used to be Dudley from SF

and yeah I was just generalizing of course, I feel like anime and fighting games go together very well so it doesn't surprise me when players have more knowledge or tastes than just the well known action shows

I too had a picture and signature of Dudley for a month or so when SSF4 came out years ago. But yeah it has become common for guys to go with female avatars. Most guys who use guy avatars either (a) main the character, (b) are disgusted with guys using female avatars, (c) like to use a guy avatar to represent themselves. Just my observations I have no facts here.

#LWAshouldBeTop10
#AkkoDeservesBetter
#TeamAkko
#Justice4Akko

Dec 2, 6:12 PM

I dunno if it's true or not but in my opinion, I think those people just try to enjoy this site without making enemies.

Because sometimes there's always someone who comes into our comment's profile and said that "your anime taste is worse.

How could you rate (their fave show) so low?" Or something like that. Well, I respect their decision to not rate the shows as long as they're not trying to make a fuss with others

Dec 2, 6:35 PM

I am literally only here for the forum. Beside, why should I curate a detailed list uncompensated only to have it bolster Media Do's data harvesting operation?

Dec 2, 6:39 PM
They are simple followers of Karhu's footsteps. Scoring is old news, reviewing is the new sexy lmfao.

Dec 3, 5:14 AM

I respect those kinds of people, I was like that to before I became a seasonal watcher. They can simply enjoy anime purely and simply, without their ego employing. I mean people that give scores, like myself have this useless sence of confidence/pride/superiority, I don't know , that makes us think we know better than those that have rated differently from us, or those that don't rate.

So more power to fans who don't feel the need to give scores.

Dec 3, 7:26 AM
I'm glad that some people don't rate anime because the ratings on this site are terrible and some anime very overrated whilst other anime are underrated...however would be good if some people would give the underrated anime some more higher ratings.
~AnimeDownUnder~

Dec 6, 6:11 PM

Because there are people who do not care about scores and just want to enjoy their stuff.

Dec 6, 6:29 PM

I usually only rate shows I really enjoy. Other than that I don't really rate anime in general because I feel there really isn't a point of rating anime shows. Also MAL rating system is trash no offense. Lol

Dec 6, 6:31 PM

They're so sensitive about their shit taste that they want to keep it a secret from people which anime they liked the most. Some might just be too lazy to bother, though.

Dec 6, 6:36 PM
im considering this if i ever reach 1000 anime milestone since fuck it its hard or stressful to weigh the proper scores for all those anime

Dec 6, 6:48 PM

It's an arbitrary number that means nothing to me.

An empty head bloomed with blossoms.