Dec 4, 2019 9:15 PM
Sword Art Online

Demon Slayer

Fairy Tale

Tatami Galaxy
100x125 pixels? hard to find

Dec 4, 2019 9:22 PM

Assassination Classroom

So many people talked so highly of it that I had to check it out. Plus the storyline made it seem like it would be very fun to watch. The early episodes were delivering the goods. I don't remember when it went wrong, as there's been some years since I last seen it, but the story started getting less and less interesting to the point where I took a break from it and have yet to return. I do remember it was how the teacher started acting more and more like a normal teacher and less like an evil alien come to destroy the planet. Really started to annoy me as the class thinking of ways to kill him was the shows greatest strength. The more they went away from it the more boring the show became.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Dec 4, 2019 11:51 PM

Goddamn people fucking naming SAO and Franxx as if it hasn’t been bashed enough. Be creative and think of something that is actually “loved by many, but you subjectively find it to be overrated”. SAO isn’t even well-acclaimed, it’s evidently polarizing.

To answer OP’s question, just go onto the Top 100, you find heaps such as Your Name, or the latest pseudo-science tearjerker Rascal... Dreaming Girl.
. . .

Dec 5, 2019 12:13 AM

Angel Beats - Not as interesting as people hyped it up to be. It's not bad just mediocre. So much happening yet at the same time so little development. Pretty forgettable characters(TK is the only decent character & we barely know anything about him). The feels & sappy moments didn't do much for me(Otonashi's is the only good one). The show might be better if it's a bit longer I think.

*I have to admit the flying chair scene is gold

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - It's okay but not as great as people made it out to be. Someone in this thread already described the problems I have with this movie very well

Death Note - I agree that the 2nd half brought down the story. Near is a poor man's version of L & Mello who is the better character is underutilized. Disappointed with the writing of Mikami since his character had a lot of potential. And he is so out of character in the ending
Modified by deoclasher88, Dec 5, 2019 12:46 AM
~Spiritual Healing~

Dec 5, 2019 12:23 AM

as for me it would be:

Darling in the Franxx -

Hunter X Hunter

Devilman: Crybaby

Dec 5, 2019 9:05 AM

I can't recall an anime that I've called 'overhyped'. If I didn't like the anime, I'll realize that it just isn't in my style. But I don't let other people's thoughts and reviews become a consideration for my experience watching the show.

Dec 20, 2019 7:20 PM
Your Lie in April
Parasyte the maxim
Death Note (Some episodes are pretty interesting though)

Dec 20, 2019 8:01 PM

1) Gintama

I've watched 10 episodes of this anime. I have no clue how anyone was willing to go beyond those first 10 episodes. Despite the absurd setting, the art is surprisingly bland with 0 visual identity. It doesn't even look like a conventionally good anime like FMAB. The humor is the most by the numbers I've seen in anime:

I loathe that Japanese style of humor where character A does something stupid, character B points out how stupid it is. It's literally pointing out the joke, as though the writers need to literally tell the audience to laugh. It's almost as terrible as how those old American sitcoms had those laughing tracks. Okay, I get the actual joke is supposed to be character B's reactions, but the reactions are always exactly the same: character B yelling like a fucking moron. Every. Time. I don't understand how that's funny. That's pretty much Gintama's humor in a nutshell: it's characters doing these small, inoffensive, predictable dumb things. The only joke I can recall from the show off the top of my head right now was that bomb joke: because it made me laugh my ass off. If the joke is going to be character B's reaction, then at least make the animation of the reaction more original, instead of resorting to one of the following:

A) Draw moody blue backgrounds behind character B.
B) Have character B have huge eyes with no pupils yelling.

It's literally the same shit. Every. Time.

I think the best comedy is comedy that relies on being unpredictable and shocking. None of the jokes in Gintama were unpredictable or shocking.
I think anime like Mitsudomoe are hilarious, because the characters' exaggerated reactions match the situations, in that the situations are so balls-to-the-walls absurd, you can't help but laugh at them. In other words, if your comedy is going to be absurd (which is every comedy anime in existence) then go all the way.

Besides the dull art, the dull comedy, there's no semblance of an interesting story or characters either. And yes, I've been told Gintama has "serious" arcs but like, in that case, why not just go watch a serious action anime?

2) Your Name

Any romantic chemistry the 2 lead characters had was so non-existent, that, I'm not joking when I say this, I had no clue this was even a romance film until the halfway point when the 2 lead characters explicitly state that they were in love with each other. Forget about the 2 lead characters having any chemistry, any common interests, any conversations beyond dialogue that's more akin to co-workers talking about how to handle a problem rather than friendship, when did these 2 characters even fall in love with each other?

The lead characters have 0 personality, which makes them easy to self-insert to, which is probably a big reason why this film was a huge success.

I have no clue why people felt the, "magical longing feeling" so many people described the film giving them comes from: maybe it's because the visuals look so shiny and good, and the film being a romance where neither of the lead characters ever have any real conflict with each other.

My problem with the visuals is kinda weird: yes, the movie looks really good, but it looks too good, in the sense that it looks almost manufactured, if that makes sense.

3) Attack on Titan season 1

There are definitely things that I like about Attack on Titan (I haven't watched past season 1): the premise is cool, the visuals are extremely distinct (I don't completely understand Digibro's complaint about the overuse of brown in the anime), and...that's kinda it? Aside from Mikasa, Armin, and maybe Eren, almost none of the characters have any development, or even any personality...which is especially terrible when one of the biggest selling points of Attack on Titan is characters dying. A huge appeal of Attack on Titan season 1 was all those big dramatic moments where Titans are attacking, dramatic music's playing, characters are screaming (rightfully so, to be fair), but like...there's no weight behind it? 'Cause I couldn't care about anything that was really happening?

I've heard season 2 is significantly better, and that season 3 is amazing, but I don't know if I can be invested in an anime's story and characters after watching 25 episodes of boredom.
Modified by RealTheAbsurdist, Dec 20, 2019 8:06 PM
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Dec 20, 2019 8:11 PM

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. The pacing is horrible, but at least the episodes at the end were exciting. But I remember forcing myself through the first half of the season bc I was just so damn bored. Yeah, wow it's a dark mahou shoujo. Wow. Amazing. So different. Ugh, I don't get it. But well.
Modified by Strohhutpiratin, Dec 21, 2019 1:27 AM

Dec 20, 2019 8:16 PM

FMAB-I dont think I liked a single character in that show

Fire Force-I dropped and started to watch it again like 4 times. Finally gave up. main character has no personality and it's incredibly unfunny.

Evangelion-I dropped it like 8 episodes in, the main character is so wimpy and boring. Only interesting thing is the world.

Made in abyss-dropped like 3 episodes in because characters were uninteresting.

Dec 21, 2019 12:54 AM

Overlord (started off good but became boring later)
Fullmetal Alchemist (Nice idea about alchemy. The story not so much)
Seven Deadly Sins (Could not feel any sense of adventure or relating to the characters. Could not bring myself to care if they died)
Attack on Titan (Was interested in the 1st episode but felt boring later on)
Your Lie in April (Different from all the action I used to watch. But Kaori's character and the ending made me feel it wasnt as good as the ratings said)
Clannad (Good show romantic and SoL show. Realistic except for the ending and astral projection by a girl in coma. Wtf)
Code Geass/Death Note/Steins Gate (Despite being my absolute favorites, the flaws they have do not warrant such high ratings)
Kimetsu no Yaiba (Interesting premise. Also was interested in the relatively early introduction of the antagonist. But later on interest waned once I saw a football match between the demon sister and another demon. Continued later and they show a yellow haired coward who was annoying all the time)

and the greatest of all in this category: Gintama (Nothing worthwhile ever happens until the last arcs for which I have to trudge through 300+ episodes? And till then I need to endure the crappy acting categorized as humour from the 3 annoying idiots? Maybe the 8+ rating is fine for the last serious arcs. Rest of them, no way)
Modified by FrozenLich, Dec 21, 2019 1:03 AM

Dec 21, 2019 4:43 AM

Yuri on Ice: It wasn't the worst... but it was far from the best.
Doukyuusei (Didn't survive this movie, despite watching shonen ais before)
Koe no Katachi (Nice message, I didn't like the way was executed)

Dec 21, 2019 4:49 AM

Erased, it boggles my mind how people gave that badly-written garbage such a high rating, especially after that trainwreck of a final episode. Also No Game No Life, no idea why people hate on SAO yet rate this high, it's the same fucking shit in a lot of ways.

Dec 21, 2019 4:55 AM

I would say Akame ga Kill! I saw 22 out of 24 episodes and then took a long hiatus, so I'm gonna start over.

It is only 6/10 material to me. Evangelion is 6/10 material to me as well, but it's a "higher" 6 than Akame ga Kill!

If only we could score in .5 increments.
Fuck ALL deadlines.~

Filter my anime list by fetish:
Ass - Boxing - Bunny - Catfight - S&M - Wrestling

Dec 21, 2019 5:14 AM
TheKawaiiToon said:
The most overrated anime I have ever seen is every popular anime in existence. Why? Because we are humans with different tastes in anime.

What's even more overrated than overrated anime is the word "overrated".

Fite me...

You just worded my thoughts in a perfect way

Dec 21, 2019 5:17 AM
Evangelion and Gundam are the most disappointed anime I have ever seen.

At least in manga Evangelion is good. I don't know Gundam but right now I'm not going to try it.

Dec 21, 2019 6:01 AM
Most Overrate

hunter x hunter
fmab
shigatsu wa kimi no uso
Swort Art Online
One Piece

Most Underrate

Monster 2004
Shiki
Parasyte

Dec 21, 2019 6:11 AM

I have four actually, bunny girl senpai , slime , death parade , sora yoi mo tooi basho.

I guess one more anime would be joining the list - Madoka Magica which Im watching rn(ep 7), I don't get any psychological or thriller vibes from it for some reason

Dec 21, 2019 6:14 AM

One of the most overrated is probably is the 1st Season of Kimetsu no Yaiba. The plot doesn't made an impact to me and also I don't understand the appeal of the most characters of the show especially those all Hashira even I have already aware of spoilers in Manga. Few said KnY will get better, I hope it reaches my expectations in next seasons. I'm know that MAL scores aren't that relevant but seeing KnY 1st Season score higher than many anime that I love like TTGL and GTO makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm such a bitter person.

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]