Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 2, 2019 12:16 PM

Jul 2016
Honestly the most overrated is the KEY ripoff monogatari series, doesnt deserve 8 score its 6 and 7 respectively. Haikyuu overrated sports anime that doesnt make sense. 3 gatsu forced drama about bullying that nothing corrolates on shogi. And Mob Psycho good animation doesnt saved the worst artsyle I seen in the long time.

Dec 2, 2019 12:19 PM

Sep 2017
Your Name. I am probably just very stupid but the time travel bit did not make any sense to me at all even after a re-watch with my brother. There was that cool scene where the two characters are talking to each other on the mountain but that's it. Everything else just fell flat lol

At least the soundtrack and visuals are good and honestly the only other reason I watched it a second time.

Other than that nothing really because you know, everyone has different opinions and whatnot.
Dec 2, 2019 12:25 PM

Feb 2010
Naurto is an anime i consider the most overrated anime i have seen.

instead of going into details over it again with all my various problems with the series i'll just let this video sum it up.

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Dec 2, 2019 12:26 PM
Jan 2019
Umineko no Naku Koro Ni. I was looking through my list the other day and saw that Umineko was rated a 7.2. There is no way this anime should even be close to touching the 7s. Umineko literally made no sense. They do not explain a damn thing in the anime, and to make matters worse, they end on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved. I loved Higurashi, but Umineko was not a worthy successor and does not deserve a 7 rating.
Dec 2, 2019 12:33 PM
Jul 2018
I kinda hate the word overrated but Devilman: Crybaby always comes to mind.
Dec 2, 2019 2:22 PM

Jul 2013
Pretty much every battle shounen anime in existence, especially One Piece and Demon Slayer, both of which are monotonous as well as ugly, edgy and generic. Who would watch battle shounen for plot?

Other shounen adaptations that are also overrated are Black Butler, Klll la Kill and Suzuka. Some babe recommended Black Butler to me, so I watched it on Netflix and then I turned off the TV after a short while. It was pure anime comedy and I prefer my comedy to be dark or controversial. Therefore, I'm more of a gallows humour kinda guy.
Dec 2, 2019 3:13 PM

Oct 2008
K-ON! Series. It was just a generic Anime to me...
Dec 2, 2019 5:22 PM

Aug 2019
I just realised you can type any "X show is overrated", you'll get 4 or 5 threads made by someone who thinks it is overrated.
Dec 2, 2019 5:51 PM

Apr 2019
actuallyaadhi said:
I just realised you can type any "X show is overrated", you'll get 4 or 5 threads made by someone who thinks it is overrated.

True, but at the same time you might get attacked for not putting up a reason for that show being overrated.
Dec 2, 2019 6:07 PM

Jul 2015
Steins;Gate was just a chore to watch. Unsufferable harem cast, unsufferable MC, "lol he's gay", "lol he's fat" and "lol he's black" where the main jokes, half the story was outright dumb (Ruka's sex change was so stupid) and the other half reeked of dating sim VN adaptation and wish fufllfilment for people way younger than I was when I saw it.
Dec 2, 2019 7:02 PM
Jan 2019
My Hero Academia. I mean i like the show but i don't think its amazing like how other people see it. Pretty overrated in my opinion.
Makoto Shinkai is a mf genius
Dec 2, 2019 7:11 PM

Mar 2019
yxckson said:
Toradora is a complete mess of a show. I loved the characters, but there was nearly nothing else they executed well. Poor pacing, tons of boring filler, and an unsatisfying and confusing ending.

im about to write the same thing especially about the ending, but i hate the characters too
Dec 2, 2019 10:29 PM

Jul 2019
For me it has to be Seven Deadly Sins. It is one of the most unoriginal anime I have seen. Yet the score is over 8 and the fandom grows.
Dec 3, 2019 12:18 AM

Mar 2015
mwalimu said:
Takagi-san. It was unbearably painful to watch, and it became the first and so far the only show I've ever dropped. I seriously don't get why people like this show, yet it somehow has a 7.88 rating.

By any chance did you skip to Mina's stories? I always did that every episode lol
Dec 3, 2019 12:25 AM

Oct 2018
I wouldn't really say it's overrated, but FMA:B is not something that should be sitting on the top IMO. I guess it probably deserves the score it has, but it shouldn't be the highest rated with it. There should be other anime with let's say 9.25-9.3+ rating(and I know there were, until crazy fans spammed 1/10)

It's definitely good, but not a top 1 material if you ask me

PS: also KonoSuba, the least funny thing I've ever seen. Can't even understand how people can actually laugh at it and find it funny. Forced aqua is so retarded "jokes" all the time...
-Aincrad-Dec 3, 2019 12:42 AM
Dec 3, 2019 12:38 AM
Sep 2018
Your lie in April. The whole sorrow and death thing going on felt overdramatic and forced to me. I just couldn't sympathize with the characters. I've tried watching it twice now and still my score stays the same.
Dec 3, 2019 4:53 AM

Mar 2017
RitsuMania said:
mwalimu said:
Takagi-san. It was unbearably painful to watch, and it became the first and so far the only show I've ever dropped. I seriously don't get why people like this show, yet it somehow has a 7.88 rating.

By any chance did you skip to Mina's stories? I always did that every episode lol

You mean the parts with the other three girls? Those were actually kind of cute, and were a nice change up from the parts with Takagi and what's-his-name (which are mostly what drove my comment).
A møøse once bit my sister...
Dec 3, 2019 5:16 AM

Oct 2019
Nisekoi

goddamn i swear i got stupider after finishing it
Dec 3, 2019 5:36 AM

Jan 2015
fate, bnha, demon slayer, shield hero, nisekoi, toradora, ttgl, konosuba in that order.
Dec 3, 2019 6:06 AM
Aug 2008
Dolabella said:
Overrated is an mean word :(

but i gotta say people were hyping up demon slayer and i don't know. i'm halfway through and it's just not doing it for me

I am in the same position as you. Currently watching and just not seeing what the hype was all about.
Dec 3, 2019 6:45 AM
Dec 2016
I think it's SAO & Tokyo Ghoul(not the manga which was really great) , and recently Demon slayer
Dec 3, 2019 7:00 AM

Dec 2018
Sword art online, only the first season was good, the second and third one was "meh". Don't know about the currently airing one.

No game no life

Re:zero
Dec 3, 2019 7:15 AM

Jul 2013
Prolly Eureka. Just an overall below average show, never really drew me in even a little bit
Dec 3, 2019 7:38 AM

Oct 2018
Naruto
Gintama
Bleach
Dragon Ball
Vinland Saga

“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Dec 3, 2019 8:13 AM

Nov 2018
show doesnt live up to popularity:
SAO
Nisekoi
The Rising of the Shield Hero
Goblin Slayer - yet another fucking harem like all of the above, but semi-successfully fooling people by its edginess
Kimetsu no Yaiba - well, it's... good-looking. Like really good-looking. And that's pretty much it.

show doesnt live up to critical acclaim:
Konosuba
Great Teacher Onizuka

probably many Trigger shows too. I love most of them but I do think Imaishi just sold some tiddies under the disguise of 'hurr-durr Deep Philosophical Meaning'. Not that I complain tho. :3
Dec 3, 2019 8:15 AM

Oct 2018
Yuri_Goggleson said:
show doesnt live up to popularity:
SAO
Nisekoi
The Rising of the Shield Hero
Goblin Slayer - yet another fucking harem like all of the above, but semi-successfully fooling people by its edginess
Kimetsu no Yaiba - well, it's... good-looking. Like really good-looking. And that's pretty much it.

show doesnt live up to critical acclaim:
Konosuba
Great Teacher Onizuka

probably many Trigger shows too. I love most of them but I do think Imaishi just sold some tiddies under the disguise of 'hurr-durr Deep Philosophical Meaning'. Not that I complain tho. :3

Uhm
How tf is Goblin Sayer a harem exactly?

Multiple female characters alone doesn't mean harem..
Dec 3, 2019 8:57 AM

Nov 2018
-Aincrad- said:

Uhm
How tf is Goblin Sayer a harem exactly?

Multiple female characters alone doesn't mean harem..

multiple female characters having a crush on the main male character is literally the definition of harem.

and they all do want to kink the shit out of that helmet.
Dec 3, 2019 9:00 AM

Jul 2015
Sword Art Online
I don't even know how tf is this garbage so popular and loved.
Don't be mad sao fans <3

Tokyo Ghoul
One Punch Man

Oh and Goblin Slayer

and ofc Fairy Tail...................
BrawlerJoeDec 3, 2019 9:23 AM
Dec 3, 2019 9:16 AM

Sep 2018
Stuff i gave a "low" or at least not high score from the top 100 popular.

Attack on Titan every Season (underdeveloped shitty characters, decent world wich lacks depth)

Kimi no Na wa (looking pretty with nice visual storytelling but lacks in story/character depth)

Fairy tail (the lowest form of battle Shounen, everything is bad, the world,the characters, the story...)

Naruto (contradicts its themes "hard works beats talent"l, shit comedy, sakura)

Akame ga Kill! (killing characters no one cares about does not make a story good)

These were the ones that will trigger the most people so i leave it at that if i wrote everything i would sit here for days. Very many from the 100 most popular are at best decent...

Dec 3, 2019 9:25 AM
Jun 2019
Re: Zero for sure.

Not to mention the best anime in the world, our dear Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I don't think it's exactly overrated, but it's too boring, and I think trying to be too mature makes it fail like a shounen itself.
daniel_blehDec 3, 2019 9:29 AM
Dec 3, 2019 9:43 AM

Jun 2016
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (and I still like it but I can't give it 10)

-Too many unnecessary characters, villains that borderline and sometimes do cross over to being 1 dimensional.
-Terraist subplot handled poorly.
-Action scenes are just boring, no artistic merit.
-Some really dumb decisions by secondary characters just to make main characters seem smart.
-World building is weak, like how do they get that much resources for all those ships without detailing the economies of the planets.

What I liked were some of the characters who made up for the show for sure, but yeah lots of flaws so I can't say it's a masterpiece.
Dec 3, 2019 9:59 AM
Jul 2016
Ao Haru Ride for me...
Couldn't complete it cause of it's generic-ness...
Oh and also Tenki no ko
Not saying it was bad or anything but it was so over hyped it was bound to disappoint no matter how good it was
Dec 3, 2019 10:14 AM

Aug 2012
Kimetsu no Yaiba

I've watched through several episodes, waiting for it to get interesting, but it was very underwhelming for me. The art is great though, and there were scenes that looked amazing, but overall, it didn't live up to the hype everyone was talking about. The pacing was slow, the humor was forced and Zenitsu came in really annoying (heard he'll mellow out later on in the series tho).
People have said to me that episode 15+ is where it gets interesting, so I held on. Yeah, it did get a bit more interesting but it didn't escalate a whole lot on my enjoyment watching this series. If I wasn't told it gets better later on, I would've dropped it.

Still doesn't stop me from wanting to watch the movie. I'm looking forward to it, and hopefully I'll enjoy it a lot more, since the plot is moving forward.

Bakemonogatari

It was boring for me. I didn't get what was going on. Everything was all over the place. The only character I remember enjoying was Hachikuji.
Dec 3, 2019 10:52 AM

Oct 2019
I think Ao Haru Ride is pretty overrated... many people talk about it as if it's one of the pinnacles of shoujo romance animes, but I honestly found the characters, as well as the story, a little boring.

I do think that it is a good anime tho, but I don't think that it deserves to be on every "top 10 shoujo anime to watch" list (which is very often is)

Dec 3, 2019 10:55 AM

Oct 2019
Ayush-sensei said:
Ao Haru Ride for me...
Couldn't complete it cause of it's generic-ness...
Oh and also Tenki no ko
Not saying it was bad or anything but it was so over hyped it was bound to disappoint no matter how good it was

Totally agree :D
I did not even see that you wrote the same before I submitted my answer
Dec 3, 2019 11:00 AM

Nov 2019
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
- Minimal drama for the themes it attempts to recreate
- Makoto had an incredibly unlikable personality
- Relationships were terrible, and goes against the ideas of show not tell
- Most of the main cast lacks character development due to Makoto's time leaps
- Way more boring than people make it out to be

Overall, the film isn't "bad" in any sense, but it really isn't what people made it out to be.
Dec 3, 2019 12:50 PM
Jul 2018
I don't dare to use such stupid word that pretty much means "stop likeing what I dun't like".
Dec 3, 2019 1:40 PM

Jul 2013
Shield Hero- Had a great start. But I kinda read the manga and I started realizing it's only great when you seen (in my case read) it once. By episode 6, I got bored of it after awhile.

Steins;Gate- Is this show really top 10 material.. It was just okay. This is far from 9-10/10 tbh at most it's a 7. The time travel stuff wasn't all that spectacular. And the only interesting character there was the big guy (Forgot the guy's name... Don't kill me)

Goblin Slayer- I wasn't big on the whole "rape" stuff, lbh if you seen enough hentai, this is just like watching Kamen Rider in comparison of rape hentai. Anyways, the show was just outright boring. GS knows the strengths and weaknesses, they go to fight goblins and rinse, cycle, repeat.

Dec 3, 2019 1:43 PM

Jan 2019
Gurren Lagann. I've tried to come back to it a few times, but it just isn't for me.
Be happy with what you have to be happy with
Dec 3, 2019 1:47 PM
Jul 2018
In my opinion, Death Note is the most overrated.
Dec 3, 2019 2:03 PM

Feb 2018
Kimetsu no Yaiba was good and I gave it a 9, but that was rounding up from about an 8.5, which I think it deserves a lot more than 8.93. It was more of an 8 for me for a good amount of the show, but the last arc was solid enough to boost it up. Before that though there were a few plot points that were given answers to but I thought could've been executed/explained better.

A Silent Voice- the characters are well written and themes impactful; the characters had a purpose in the story to fulfil these themes, which I'm down for- I like stories where characters aren't all good, face difficulties, have meaning to a story with thematic ties, and are relatable- but it was hard to watch the way they acted over the course of the movie, at least until the last 30 minutes which were genuinely really good. I know that feeling of discomfort is part of the point of the movie, and I can appreciate the message they were sending, but it was hard to like almost any of the characters for their behaviour, or lack thereof (they were also hard to relate to, but that's an entirely different point). I gave it an 8 because of the well-written aspects, but my enjoyment was a 6. Sorry for the review btw.

Grave of the Fireflies- I thought it was alright but not an 8.53. I'm not sure if it was me expecting more or what, but I do agree with parts of one review I saw where it talked about the more interesting angle from the book it's based on.

One Punch Man- It was ok, I gave it a 7 but it's more of a 6.5 imo. Characters are good, story is fine, animation is great, but I just wasn't that into it. It's at an 8.68, and I am glad a lot of people were able to enjoy it with its plays on the shounen genre, but I just wasn't as much of a fan (I also haven't seen anything as long as Bleach, Naruto, Dragonball, etc. before so that could be part of it, but overall I found a few episodes at the start somewhat enjoyable then most of the second half boring).

I am genuinely surprised Blood+ is 7.73 since I have seen most people rate it around a 6 or 7. I've seen a few episodes, but it really has not been that engaging so far imo (except episode 1).

Fate/Zero (2nd season especially)- same case as Kimetsu no Yaiba, I still enjoyed it.

Seven Deadly Sins- It's good, I think the second season was an improvement overall (second half especially), but the first 2 seasons have 8.2-ish ratings which I think is a bit high honestly.

Overlord 3, especially for having a higher score than 2 (Also, the first halves of S&W 2 and CG R2 are a lot weaker than the first seasons, somewhat unrelated but still).

Tokyo Ghoul- first episode was great, it was a little awkward in some of the human dialogue at the start and the blood thing was confusing, but overall I really liked it. Then the story seemed to slow to halt, and by the time it picked back up I didn't really feel any connection to any of the characters.

Baccano- I wanted to really like it since it seems like something I would love, and I think it got a bit better at the end, but overall I thought it was just good.

Elfen Lied- Besides Lucy, I hated nearly all of the main characters. Lucy acted more like a real person than most of the human MCs.

Death Note, haven't finished but I think the episodes have mostly been 7s for me with a few 8s and one 9. I get why people like it but I just haven't been able to get into it as much.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 4-Koma Theater- at a 7.6 but personally I didn't find the majority of skits funny (I did like at least 2 tho), I thought it was fine but not too much more.

There are some I think are a little overrated, but not by too much (maybe like .2 less): NGNL, Angel Beats, Anohana, FMA:B, Mob Psycho 1 & 2, MHA 1 & 3, Soul Eater, Plastic Memories (haven't finished), Shield Hero, Re:Zero, Haikyuu! (watching so opinion will probably change), March Comes in Like a Lion (haven't finished so opinion might change). That's just my take tho.
TheFlyingOrangeDec 3, 2019 2:06 PM
Dec 3, 2019 2:15 PM

Aug 2019
hunter x hunter. Maybe its the adhd but i just coudnt fucking handle the length of it. Especially because i could tell it was good i just didnt enjoy it. was on my phone for most of the arcs except for the pahtom troupe one
Dec 3, 2019 5:08 PM

Oct 2018
Tokyo Ghoul. All of it. I am planning to give the manga a shot, but as of right now, the anime sucks ass.
If you're reading this and you haven't watched Mob Psycho 100, go watch it and then continue with what you were doing.

Also, for the record, JoJo is great, it's fans are not.
Dec 3, 2019 5:14 PM

Mar 2015
crucial99 said:
Violet Evergarden

The main character is incredibly naive (stupid is more applicable), didn't know what "I love you" meant. Oh but she learns to type love letters after an episode after being horrendous at it lmao.

Why exactly do people hold this anime in such high esteem!?

I dropped it halfway. I couldn't take the absurdity of it all. I gave it a peak after all the hype but I just didn't get it

Very true, I can't understand why its rated so high...
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Dec 4, 2019 12:55 PM

Nov 2019
Psycho Pass

Boring characters, generic animation. the "dominators" were too goofy for my taste, instead of having Sybil ready rifles and SMG's they just have one pistol-like weapon that shapeshifts like a transformer lmao.

I mean when your villains are 10x more interesting than the main cast you got a problem. The main villain was interesting enough to keep me watching but most of it felt like a chore. In all honesty, I probably should've dropped it halfway but I was particularly nice that watch through
Dec 4, 2019 6:13 PM
Sep 2017
The definitive answer is the top 50 on this website
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2019 8:07 PM

Feb 2018
Okay, I already posted in this thread with an actually answer, but I think this needs to be said. A lot of y'all equating something being "overly popular" with being "overrated." Like, I don't know what world you're living in, but in mine, Akame ga Kill, SAO, and Fairy Tail have some of the biggest hate-bases in anime. Frankly speaking, if I hear someone talking about those shows, it's almost exclusively to call them crap. There may be a large number of people out there that like them, but that doesn't mean they all think those shows are actually good, nor that even more people don't think they're terrible either.
"If it's not big, it's only a bust," some guy on the internet
Dec 4, 2019 9:15 PM
Aug 2019
Sword Art Online

Demon Slayer

Fairy Tale

Tatami Galaxy
Dec 4, 2019 9:22 PM

Jan 2013
Assassination Classroom

So many people talked so highly of it that I had to check it out. Plus the storyline made it seem like it would be very fun to watch. The early episodes were delivering the goods. I don't remember when it went wrong, as there's been some years since I last seen it, but the story started getting less and less interesting to the point where I took a break from it and have yet to return. I do remember it was how the teacher started acting more and more like a normal teacher and less like an evil alien come to destroy the planet. Really started to annoy me as the class thinking of ways to kill him was the shows greatest strength. The more they went away from it the more boring the show became.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2019 11:51 PM

Dec 2018
Goddamn people fucking naming SAO and Franxx as if it hasn’t been bashed enough. Be creative and think of something that is actually “loved by many, but you subjectively find it to be overrated”. SAO isn’t even well-acclaimed, it’s evidently polarizing.

To answer OP’s question, just go onto the Top 100, you find heaps such as Your Name, or the latest pseudo-science tearjerker Rascal... Dreaming Girl.
. . .
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

147 by BlueBullet178 »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

58 by BlueBullet178 »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 7 hours ago

18 by FanofAction »»
15 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 1 hour ago

4 by Ten »»
18 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9047 by Yozarou »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.