Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 30, 2019 4:24 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Masked youkai...

They actually looked kinda silly to me rather than really dangerous. Classic episode especially with the fights against them. Nice OST this episode too imo.
Dec 1, 2019 4:21 AM
Sep 2008
I don't understand the logic of this episode at all. Why is Takumi at fault for the tree being cut down? All he did was take a picture and post it on INSTE.

When the tourists started becoming a problem why didn't they manage it by charging a fee and using that for clean up and law enforcement or failing that simply ban people from visiting the tree? Why was the solution cutting down the tree? The person at fault for the loss of the tree was the one who cut down the tree!

Also why was Mana behaving out of character. She would normally be sympathetic to Hoko's position. Why is she suddenly all yeah let's kill youkai? Why was Kitaro so cold to the plight of suffering humans. Did he really think that a bunch of people being rowdy around a tree and taking a picture deserved a slow painful death?

I really love this series but I am unhappy with this latest cour and I am starting to feel happy that this is the last cour.
lesterf1020Dec 1, 2019 4:25 AM
Dec 1, 2019 7:53 AM

Sep 2011
A heavy, and strong episode without a happy ending or a satisfactory conclusion. I felt so bad for Takumi. He loved that tree, which gave him strength, and he never meant for this whole situation to happen. Some of the people who saw that photo are the ones to blame. They littered, disrespected and harassed locals while acting like pigs who owned the place. I also feel that cutting the tree down was drastic and that maybe that man could have done something else, but those people never regretted their actions, and they were quick to blame Takumi, as if he somehow forced them to do what they did. I thought Kitarou was going to leave them to die and become pickles or whatever, and I only felt for the workers who cut down the tree itself.

I mean, I don't know how they had the heart to cut down a 2,000 years old tree, but they were only doing their jobs, and aren't to blame like those others. It was a gray situation. Kitarou acknowledged and respected Houkou's pain and anger, letting himself be beaten down. But he couldn't just leave humans to die, even people like that. Nurarihyon would be pleased. I guess the fire, presumably, consumed those houses, and maybe even some lives. That tree is never coming back, and Kitarou had to end Houkou even though he didn't want to fight. Takumi lost what gave him emotional support, and he feels guilty for starting this all. It left me with an unpleasant feeling, but I gotta love this anime for having episodes like this.
Dec 1, 2019 9:04 AM

Aug 2014
lesterf1020 said:
I don't understand the logic of this episode at all. Why is Takumi at fault for the tree being cut down? All he did was take a picture and post it on INSTE.

The Yokai was blind of anger and frustration, it just wanted someone to blame and it blamed the person who made the tourist get there.

When the tourists started becoming a problem why didn't they manage it by charging a fee and using that for clean up and law enforcement or failing that simply ban people from visiting the tree? Why was the solution cutting down the tree? The person at fault for the loss of the tree was the one who cut down the tree!

To be fair, I think it was an excuse to narrate the fable and explain the moral. It's not the first time the show does it, I don't think the story would have worked if legal action was taken instead of cutting the tree xD.

Also why was Mana behaving out of character. She would normally be sympathetic to Hoko's position. Why is she suddenly all yeah let's kill youkai? Why was Kitaro so cold to the plight of suffering humans. Did he really think that a bunch of people being rowdy around a tree and taking a picture deserved a slow painful death?

In fact, that side of Kitaro is the most faithful to his original incarnation. Also, the conflict between Kitaro's ideals are a main plot point on the whole thing. He doesn't always sympathize with humans.

Mana was indeed a bit out of character here.
Dec 1, 2019 9:40 PM

Oct 2008
i wanna title this episode: HELLFIRE!
4/5.

Dec 2, 2019 2:22 AM
Feb 2019
Takumi didn't get killed, but will suffer something worse. That almost doesn't sound like a save.
Dec 2, 2019 12:45 PM

Dec 2013
So Kitarou is getting fed up of this conflict, little by little he is being more reluctant to save humans who don't deserve salvation.
Dec 22, 2019 10:19 PM

Jan 2011
Now that ending was depressing.
Jun 27, 2020 7:18 PM

Feb 2014
The fight was pretty solid (Kitaro got a beating as well) and boy, the town got detroyed.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Mar 31, 2018

109 by TripleC »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:35 AM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2018

27 by gabrielloki »»
Aug 31, 2023 5:38 PM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 95 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2020

7 by Punkero »»
Mar 31, 2023 5:59 PM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 93 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2020

10 by Punkero »»
Mar 29, 2023 5:35 PM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 88 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 11, 2020

8 by Punkero »»
Mar 8, 2023 5:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.