Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 29, 2019 1:31 PM
Jun 2019
I'm wondering which manga is the most essential to read. I hate when I talk to other fans and they're like, you haven't watched/read ________ anime/manga???? I thought about watching more anime, but I prefer reading manga more. What would be your top suggestions for most important manga? Also, I like manga that have more substance and emotional themes.

Thank you.
Nov 29, 2019 1:40 PM

Jan 2009
try some sports manga like Slam Dunk and One Outs they do not have a complete anime adaptation anyway so better read them as their anime are highly rated or popular
Nov 29, 2019 2:34 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
If you're into shoujo, then I got a ton of suggestions:

*regarded as classics/essentials in the demographic by many
Nov 29, 2019 3:14 PM

Mar 2015
There are no essential manga, just like there are no essential anime. It's all up to personal tastes.

For recommendations, I tend to bring up the currently releasing manga I've been reading. Stuff like Chikai no Noah, The Promised Neverland, Requiem of the Rose King (big fan of Aya Kanno), Mieruko-chan, and Reiwa Hanamaru Gakuen. The last two are comedies (Mieruko-chan gets emotional when you least expect it) but I've been enjoying them. Reiwa Hanamaru Gakuen is very silly, though, so might not be up your alley.

As for completed manga, I recommend Kasane, Leviathan, Fruits Basket, Junji Ito's works, and Otomen (again big fan of Aya Kanno).

For pure nostalgia I'm just going to bring up Godchild as well. It was my first manga ever and kicked started everything for me. I likely never would have known about manga or anime if that one elementary school friend hadn't of introduced me to it.
ZakleNov 29, 2019 3:34 PM
Dec 3, 2019 1:57 PM

Jul 2019
1 Inoue (Vagabond or Real) and 1 Urazawa (Monster or 20th Century Boys) at least. It's essential.
Then a big shonen or manga with a great audience like SnK, Promised Neverland, MHA,...
Then some shojo and josei like Chihayafuru Solanin and Ballroom.
Some other classic like Berserk, Death Note, or even Akira could be great.
I dont know much about manga which are supposed to make u laugh but Grand Blue and Barakamon were great.
Dec 3, 2019 6:25 PM
Mar 2018
BriceMAL said:
1 Inoue (Vagabond or Real) and 1 Urazawa (Monster or 20th Century Boys) at least. It's essential.
Then a big shonen or manga with a great audience like SnK, Promised Neverland, MHA,...
I dont know much about manga which are supposed to make u laugh but Grand Blue and Barakamon were great.

20th Century Boys is probably the worst manga I have ever read. Absolutely cliche. I really do not understand why people like it. Not even if I was a kid I would like it.
Dec 3, 2019 9:18 PM

Dec 2018
Gho3st said:
BriceMAL said:

20th Century Boys is probably the worst manga I have ever read. Absolutely cliche. I really do not understand why people like it. Not even if I was a kid I would like it.

That's how opinions work.

Dec 3, 2019 11:23 PM

Feb 2017
Reading something just because it's essential is the worst thing you can do.

Read things which you like and enjoy. Don't read things just for the sake of it.

Same applies for everything in life. Do it cuz you like not for just doing it.

Dec 4, 2019 2:55 PM
Nov 2019
Difficult to recommend something since you don't have a list I can use as a reference.
But since you said emotional I would suggest following
My Girl https://myanimelist.net/manga/6164/My_Girl ; After getting news that his ex passed away, he also learns that she had a daughter. Now it's up to him to raise her.

Koe No Katachi https://myanimelist.net/manga/56805/Koe_no_Katachi ; A beautiful, short manga about bullying, friendship and a growing romance. This one is actually so important.

I think both mangas above are essential, I wish I had read them earlier than I had, cause they can teach you so much.
Dec 6, 2019 3:31 AM
Jul 2019
Jarklor7 said:
I'm wondering which manga is the most essential to read. I hate when I talk to other fans and they're like, you haven't watched/read ________ anime/manga???? I thought about watching more anime, but I prefer reading manga more. What would be your top suggestions for most important manga? Also, I like manga that have more substance and emotional themes.

Thank you.

Depends on genre and personal taste. Also if by essential you mean both popular and critically acclaimed.

For comedy I would think Gintama (haven't read it, watched some and liked it), personally recommend Hinamatsuri and Grand Blue. Barakamon as well (Slice of Life)

Thriller / psychological, probably any of the popular Urasawa manga (Monster, 20th century boys, Pluto, etc), personally recommend Alice in the borderlands and maybe Spirit Circle (features many different genres).

For romance/comedy, most definitely Horimiya and Kaguya Sama, probably a few of the popular shoujo manga like Dengeki Daisy or Maid Sama.

Action/adventure, FMA, HxH, SnK, the usual stuff. I would also highly recommend Psyren, The Breaker and Feng Shen Ji.

For Sports manga, Real is critically acclaimed I think, gave it a try but it was not to my liking. Not a fan of One Outs either, but I have only watched the anime. I would recommend Haikyuu, Baby Steps, Daiya no Ace, and Adachi Mitsuru's manga, although most are a bit dated and have romance/comedic themes.
Dec 8, 2019 6:04 AM

Jul 2009
Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z :D
Dec 8, 2019 7:17 AM

Jan 2016
Oyasumi Punpun and One Punch-Man
Dec 8, 2019 9:27 AM

Oct 2015
Read from the critically-acclaimed big bois (and a gal). Osamu Tezuka, Naoki Urasawa, Takehiko Inoue, Inio Asano, Rumiko Takahashi...
Dec 9, 2019 9:21 PM

Feb 2018
Jarklor7 said:

Thank you.

https://myanimelist.net/manga/112115/Act-age
Dec 10, 2019 3:24 AM

May 2012
crescensXG said:

You can't go wrong with Kamimura as long as he's responsible for the story and not just working as an illustrator. Strong women breaking taboos as well as fighting and rebelling against patriarchal structures and conventions in post-war Japan is rarely depicted any better. I'm not sure about scanlations though, but you can buy most of his best works in French. Also in Spanish and Italian iirc.

Another option would be to just simply check some user lists in order to find something that might pique your interest.
My Rereads | My Favorite Mangaka | Soylent Green

Buy stuff, or buy at least your favorites if you can afford it - Don't be lame.

D W-W&N 🤍

MAL is a far cry from being my main literature site, that's why I won't be doing mere single chapter updates anymore. Manga- aka Baka-Updates + 2 French ones are miles better and more thorough/complete + less restricting. The latter are perfectly suited for Manga/Light Novel/Books collectors such as myself. Less stressful/tiring this way. -g-
Dec 10, 2019 3:30 AM

Feb 2015
gadboyz said:
Jarklor7 said:

Thank you.

https://myanimelist.net/manga/112115/Act-age

How is that essential, the manga isn't even finished yet
Dec 12, 2019 2:20 AM

Jul 2017
Gho3st said:
BriceMAL said:

What's cliche about 20th Century Boys? I thought it was the last manga to be labeled as cliche (as in overused).
Dec 12, 2019 5:58 AM
Mar 2018
FrostDirt said:
Gho3st said:

What's cliche about 20th Century Boys? I thought it was the last manga to be labeled as cliche (as in overused).

I am not sure if you are serious. A bunch of stereotypical boys trying to save the world is not cliche? Probably the author had the idea when he was 12.
Dec 12, 2019 2:17 PM

Dec 2019
I'd recommend Yotsubato to just about anyone. It doesn't matter who you are or what you're into, it's just such a heartwarming, feel-good manga for anyone.
Dec 12, 2019 5:56 PM

Jul 2017
Gho3st said:
FrostDirt said:

I am not sure if you are serious. A bunch of stereotypical boys trying to save the world is not cliche? Probably the author had the idea when he was 12.

I mean yeah, on the surface level it is (you're basically doing an oversimplified synopsis). But how the story incorporates flashbacks and characterization took the medal for me. I've seen some attempts for this kind of storytelling (namely Battle Royale) and by far 20th Century Boys did it best.

But let's stop here, I don't want to argue.
Dec 13, 2019 6:34 PM
Aug 2017
It really depends on your personal taste. I'm assuming you are new to this so I will just post some mangas that greatly represent their genre.

-One punch man (action)
-Slam dunk (sport)
-20th-century boy/monster/billy bat (drama/thriller by Naoki Urasawa)
-Jojo's bizzare adventure (pretty much its own seperate genre/style)
- Last game (shoujo)
-One piece (long-running shonen)
-Berserk/Vagabond/GANTZ (seinen action)
-Grand blue (comedy)
-The world god only knows (harem/romance)
-Alice in borderland (psychological)

If you enjoy one of these manga then read ones within the same genre. Just know that they are some of the best of their kind.

Side note: berserk is on constant hiatus and with its creator now starting a new series, people speculate it's not going to end in at least another decade. I personally haven't start reading it for that reason but I'll leave the decision to you.
Dec 16, 2019 11:35 AM
Oct 2019
Fire Punch. It's a crazy ride i think everyone should give a chance.
Dec 16, 2019 5:06 PM

Aug 2016
You shouldn't view any manga as essential.
If you worry about missing out on the group talk session then just read the popular manga.

What is "essential" sould depend on your taste in genre, atmosphere,...
Basicly there are acclaimed manga in every genre so you could search for those if you seek specific attributes
Dec 19, 2019 1:53 AM

Dec 2019
If you want to minimise those sorts of questions, start at the top of the 'popular' list and work your way down.

https://myanimelist.net/topmanga.php?type=bypopularity

I can't believe Shingeki no Kyojin is #2 and Berserk is #4....
Dec 19, 2019 3:11 AM

Apr 2015

Depends what you're wanting out of this. If you're interested to learn and be more familiar with the medium as a whole you can go to library and search for books One thousand years of manga by Brigitte Koyama-Richard and Manga design Masanao Amano. They're good starting point in searching classics to read and see what manga has as a whole to offer, pick those that look interesting to you.

But if you want to include yourself to discussions then you can pretty much look what is rated as popular and current seasons anime source materials.
Dec 19, 2019 6:45 AM

Aug 2019
Murabayashi said:
If you want to minimise those sorts of questions, start at the top of the 'popular' list and work your way down.

https://myanimelist.net/topmanga.php?type=bypopularity

I can't believe Shingeki no Kyojin is #2 and Berserk is #4....

I can, it's been one of the best, and best-selling manga of the last 10 years. Why Berserk isn't as high is another question.
Dec 19, 2019 6:43 PM

Dec 2019
xenosys said:

I can, it's been one of the best, and best-selling manga of the last 10 years. Why Berserk isn't as high is another question.

I'm surprised both are that popular, I mean.
Dec 27, 2019 10:57 AM
Dec 2019
Berserk, Vagabond, Real and Goodnight Punpun are the best iv read overall. There is some really good classics like Lone wolf and Cub and Phoenix. Or maybe more unique manga like Homunculus and Blame!
Dec 27, 2019 10:59 AM

Aug 2016
BowDownPeasant said:
Berserk, Vagabond, Real and Goodnight Punpun are the best iv read overall. There is some really good classics like Lone wolf and Cub and Phoenix. Or maybe more unique manga like Homunculus and Blame!

I think punpun is only "essential" if you can somehow relate. I read it and thought it was complete nonsense but I can understand why one would like it if one has depression or some sort of mental anguish.
Dec 27, 2019 11:06 AM
Dec 2019
midascruzer said:
BowDownPeasant said:

I think punpun is only "essential" if you can somehow relate. I read it and thought it was complete nonsense but I can understand why one would like it if one has depression or some sort of mental anguish.

Yeah fair enough. I think id still recommend it to the majority though. Its so highly regarded for a reason.
Jan 11, 2020 7:47 PM

Sep 2019
Is there any essential manga for Yuri, Magic/Fantasy?

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1054 by Francis_0 »»
9 hours ago

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
Yesterday, 3:47 PM

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
Yesterday, 1:50 PM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
Yesterday, 1:33 PM

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Yesterday, 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.