Forum Settings
Forums

To the "People" who say watching Dubbed anime is not watching anime.

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 13, 2020 4:21 AM

Apr 2015
BebopEccles said:
Tropisch said:
I like dubs, so long as the dub VA's don't insert politics in (such as the Dragon Maid dub).

Did they ever fix the script and lines for the blu-ray release?

Nope, the stupid line is still there, sadly.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 13, 2020 4:38 AM
Sep 2018
It's really true. Dubbed anime is literally can be shits. Orginal emotions cannot never be understand within dubbed version. Orginal audio and subtitle is the best way.
Join the Last Parade for your anime Salvation
Feb 13, 2020 8:56 AM

Dec 2010
Ciezul said:
It's really true. Dubbed anime is literally can be shits. Orginal emotions cannot never be understand within dubbed version. Orginal audio and subtitle is the best way.

Learn grammar please can barely understand what you are trying to say and for your information English dubs can have the same amount of emotion as the subbed I just watched a very emotional episode of My Hero Academia and it was just as emotional as a scene like that should be.
Feb 13, 2020 9:00 AM

Sep 2017
Honestly I completely agree... I have some anime shows that I actually prefer watching the dub over the sub (Such as Ouran Highschool Hostclub). Even so, a lot of people who watch sub and and hate dub, tend to belittle those who like dub and it's actually horrible to see.
Feb 13, 2020 9:46 AM
Jul 2017
Chiibi said:
Lol I can't believe anyone would say something that stupid...why should the language track matter!?

Just wait they will be happy to tell you
Feb 13, 2020 9:57 AM
Jul 2017
People complain about the same voice actors in an anime or that they don't have the right inflection/emotion in their voice its hilarious because those same people will then go watch the same actor in the Same type of movies over and over.

Tldr if you like a VA then it doesn't matter if they are in several series
Feb 13, 2020 10:18 AM

Nov 2018
Then does watching an English-made cartoon in a foreign language (like Japanese) make the show not a cartoon then? It seems like dub haters have a different definition as to what's considered an anime.

I think there are a few examples where the dub is much better than the sub, as it's more fitting and/or the performance of the English VAs were much better than their Japanese counterparts. I can list quite a few, and I probably would have enjoyed all of them as much as I would with the subbed versions.

The main part of the whole debacle is that it's up to people's preferences. Usually I watch anime in English because I'm too lazy or not in the mood to focus for 5 hours and read the subtitles. I often take 2-3 minutes before starting a show to see if there's a dub for it and whether or not it's good. You might often come across a gem, other times you might come across a stinker.

You also have to consider that some people might have no choice but to watch dubbed anime because of disabilities. I'm friends with someone on here who said that they have visual impairments, and that it's very hard to read subtitles and watch the show at the same time.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Feb 13, 2020 10:22 AM
Jul 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Replying to Dante012's post now. I should point out, for the record, that my comments are speaking from my experiences watching English dubs. I see that you mention French dubs in several of your comments; I have not watched any French dubs before, nor do I speak French, so I can't speak for French dubs at all.

Dante012 said:
Subs are way better than dubs. There could be an argument if the dubbers actually took their work seriously, but that's clearly not the case given the amount of problems that occur frequently. Let's go through all the issues, shall we?
Actually, they do, and subs vs. dubs is a matter of preference.

Dante012 said:
- Wrong casting. God, so many times a young character sounds awfully old, it's just stupid... On the other hand, a seiyuu always sounds how their character is supposed to sound.
"How their character is supposed to sound" is based on your own ideas of how the characters are supposed to sound. For example, a number of people here really enjoy squeaky cute Japanese anime girl voice, while I don't really like it that much, so you may see a character and think they're "supposed to sound" like that, but I don't. And Japanese voice-acting does in fact tend to use this sort of voice a lot, which I find unnatural compared to speaking more normally.

An irony is that it's more common for dubs these days to try to imitate that squeakiness rather than simply ignore it and speak more naturally.

Dante012 said:
- Bad acting. Seiyuus are just way better when it comes to giving life and emotions to their characters. The "occidental dubbers" are just way less competent, as well as way less serious.
overacting =/= "giving life and emotions"

Dante012 said:
- Some dubs are LITTERAL PARODIES, for God's sake.
City Hunter, in Japanese it's a serious show ; in dubs it's become a comedy. Hokuto no Ken as well: it's full of puns (at least, in French dub).
You may like the parody, but it is still a parody (hence: not the actual show).
Not counting fandubs, how many of these are there? And when were they made?

Dante012 said:
- Censorship. That one also happens a lot.
And I'm not just talking about the nude scenes here. Sometimes, important pieces of the stories are cut out because it's considered too violent.
For example, go watch the Shadow Arc from Sonic X.
And this isn't a fault of the dub, which can be just as uncensored.

Dante012 said:
- Cultural changes. This is the worst, in my opinion.
I learned a lot about the japanese culture thanks to anime. I know a lot of japanese foods because I saw them in anime. I learned how to speak japanese by watching anime. I learned a lot about the overall japanese culture, thanks to anime (especially the importance of hierarchy in that country, with the honorifics and all that ; or the coexistence of very different cultures among the country).
I highly doubt you "learned how to speak japanese" solely from watching anime, and if you actually did a native Japanese speaker would probably found your speaking odd (assuming you're fluent enough to hold a conversation).

All of us have picked up a variety of things about Japanese culture from watching anime, depending more on what we watched rather than whether stuff was subbed or dubbed.

Dante012 said:
But in dubs, most of that is lost. Japanese food is changed into occidental stuff. The names are changed. There are no honorifics, so you lose the importance of hierarchy.
FYI English has honorifics too, just a different set of them. Besides, in most scenes where honorifics are used in Japanese this "importance of hierarchy" is barely even relevant.

Dante012 said:
4) Stein's Gate, a great example of "cultural loss":
the biggest "cultural loss" in Steins;Gate's dub is that Imai Asami doesn't voice Makise Kurisu.

Dante012 said:
Japanese people have been notoriously bad at english, so it's always awesome when an anime character talks in english ; that's something we totally lose in English dubs.
Yes, dubs do lack this aspect. It's not something I really miss though.

Dante012 said:
Seriously, I could go on and on and on and on. Of course, feel free to enjoy dubs, but don't pretend there are no blatant issues with it.
It's always possible to nitpick.

But, more fundamentally, are these "issues" a problem of the fact that they're dubbed or rather a fact that they're dubbed in such a way that they broke the storytelling process? It's the latter, not the former, because it's entirely possible to tell a coherent story in any language.

Well put I find alot of Japanese voice "overacting" annoying the voice actors that too extreme and sound shrill or squealing I find it distracting and example off the top of my Head would be Yamada, Hizashi in BNHA the Japanese VA sounds like he is puking every word he says while the English VA has a fun Baseball Stadium announcer or old radio program host vibe
Feb 13, 2020 10:34 AM
Jul 2017
rsc-pl said:
That's true. Only original voices are authentic and it doesn't matter if it's Japanese or American series/game/movie. Dubbed content = fake content. Dub is always the worst way to consume any media. Of course, you're free to like dubbed shit, but it doesn't change the fact that you're consuming something objectively inferior.
It's like going to Pink Floyd concert and listening the cover band in cheap music club.

Then only Read Manga because anime is just an adaption of that unless it's an OVA. It's just an interpretation of others work no anime is a perfect adaptation
Feb 13, 2020 10:36 AM

Aug 2013
ActionBear said:
rsc-pl said:
That's true. Only original voices are authentic and it doesn't matter if it's Japanese or American series/game/movie. Dubbed content = fake content. Dub is always the worst way to consume any media. Of course, you're free to like dubbed shit, but it doesn't change the fact that you're consuming something objectively inferior.
It's like going to Pink Floyd concert and listening the cover band in cheap music club.

Then only Read Manga because anime is just an adaption of that unless it's an OVA. It's just an interpretation of others work no anime is a perfect adaptation

That's literally the dumbest argument for defending the dubs that I've ever read.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 13, 2020 10:37 AM

Jun 2019
I exclusively watch sub, but telling someone how to watch something is just dumb.

Feb 13, 2020 10:43 AM

Jan 2018
Dubbed anime is equivalent to copying a painting in MS paint.
Feb 13, 2020 10:46 AM
Jul 2017
AquaMailman said:
I watch a mix of subs and dubs. Which one I choose is based on a number of factors.

If the dub has Greg Ayres' annoying ass voice in a major role, then I instantly go to sub.
If the anime isn't particularly Japanese focused in terms of culture/humour, then I don't feel I'm losing much in the translation, so I can rest my eyes and focus on the pretty drawings by going dub.
If it's just throwaway, watch once, 6/10 light entertainment trash, then dub is fine for me.
If I just happen to like the sound of the Japanese voices because they enhance the moe factor, then subs it is.

I watch anime for fun, not to impress neckbeards with a superiority complex about their chosen way to consume a form of entertainment.

In conclusion, I wish Greg Ayres would retire so he stops ruining otherwise passable dubs. Thank you.

Lol who does he voice that hurt you? I start feeling thay way v about Todd Haberkorn he too much alot of the time
Feb 13, 2020 10:50 AM
Jul 2017
AquaMailman said:
I watch a mix of subs and dubs. Which one I choose is based on a number of factors.

If the dub has Greg Ayres' annoying ass voice in a major role, then I instantly go to sub.
If the anime isn't particularly Japanese focused in terms of culture/humour, then I don't feel I'm losing much in the translation, so I can rest my eyes and focus on the pretty drawings by going dub.
If it's just throwaway, watch once, 6/10 light entertainment trash, then dub is fine for me.
If I just happen to like the sound of the Japanese voices because they enhance the moe factor, then subs it is.

I watch anime for fun, not to impress neckbeards with a superiority complex about their chosen way to consume a form of entertainment.

In conclusion, I wish Greg Ayres would retire so he stops ruining otherwise passable dubs. Thank you.

Yeah his body of work as a whole is annoying but I did enjoy him in Beck and he does a decent job singing tbh
Feb 13, 2020 11:02 AM
Jul 2017
rsc-pl said:
ActionBear said:

That's literally the dumbest argument for defending the dubs that I've ever read.
rsc-pl said:
ActionBear said:

Yay what do I win!I think your argument is equally valid have a great day
Feb 13, 2020 8:23 PM
Apr 2019
It irritates the hell out of me that people still shit all over dubs. If you prefer subs then stick to subs, let dubs exist peacefully! In high school I had a friend with a medical condition that made it extremely difficult for her to keep up with subtitles. Watching dubs was the only way she could watch anime, and it was always a sore point for her when a show she was interested in was licensed without that option.
Feb 14, 2020 4:05 AM

Jun 2019
I'm the same as the OP and will watch the majority of the newly airing shows on Funimation if they have a dub available (eg this season I waited the 3 weeks to watch the dubbed versions of Nekopara, Toilet-bound Hanako, Infinite Dendrogram & Hatena Illusion).

So I normally prefer dubs. But interestingly Crunchyroll has started doing more dubs (Honzuki: Ascendance of a Bookworm & Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun were a couple I was surprised to see appear in dubs on the site), & today I saw Somali & the Forest Guardian Spirit had a dub come out. I"ve been watching the sub version so far (6 eps in) so I wanted to check out the dub version. It's ok, but the VA for Somali is infinitely better in the subbed version, her voice acting is one of the main aspects that makes the show so watchable for me. She's got such an expressive voice.

So I'm learning that maybe dubs aren't always better & sometimes it may be worth staying with the subbed version.
Feb 14, 2020 4:08 AM
Jul 2018
If I watch subbed I literally cannot do anything else. If I watch dubbed I can do a whole bunch of other stuff at the same time! So dubbed is superior because I can get on with my life instead of pausing it.
Feb 14, 2020 5:25 AM

Dec 2015
I'm all for a no-translated dub policy if means of access are provided to some minorities. But this is more relevant for less obscure languages like english, spanish, french, (maybe german, italian?) Apart from peoples already "good" in foreign languages, nobody will ever bother unless they are pushed to it. Despite nothing is done to enlarge the practice, we keep seeing higher ups claiming about how sad it is that nation X has pretty poor foreign language abilities and that something should be done to the way it is taught in schools.
Or...sjust simply eradicate languages other than english in younger courses/force 11year old kids to learn english first and beyond everything else, etc. Bad thing.

@Yasuhiro- THis has little to do with an argument for subs, as this thread is "discussing" about "normal" subtitle tracks.
Isn't there some obligation from TV broadcasters to make available (through remote button) an optional deaf subtitle track, no matter if the program was redubbed, voiced-over or in original foreign language?
In France, for a given film/series on TV, you have:
- the video
- the audio track
- the original audio track (if the first one is a "dub")
- sometimes, a sight-impaired audio track ("audio-description")
- the subtitle track
- the deaf subtitle track (positioned and coloured based on the character talking or the nature of the sound described)
Rei_IIIFeb 14, 2020 5:45 AM
Feb 14, 2020 1:11 PM
Jul 2018
Nefelupitou said:
Yes, you're still watching anime, but not watching correctly
See ya

FlowersInTheRain said:
If I watch subbed I literally cannot do anything else. If I watch dubbed I can do a whole bunch of other stuff at the same time! So dubbed is superior because I can get on with my life instead of pausing it.

Aren't you watching the show? So you watch something while you're posting on twitter, talking to your friends and etc?

That's how people watch things (Anime, series, movies), don't pay attention and then they go saying "this thing is horrible blu blu bli bli bo"

Congratulations

Well check out my currently watching and completed list ratings before you make assumptions. I do things like exercise, chores and whatever else on my laptop. I can follow the show even better since it is in my native language. I don’t need to see every single frame of the show lol.
I feel sorry for those of you who can’t do anything while watching anime. What a waste of your time. No wonder people think anime lovers are not productive.
Feb 14, 2020 1:15 PM

Dec 2010
FlowersInTheRain said:
Nefelupitou said:
Yes, you're still watching anime, but not watching correctly
See ya

Aren't you watching the show? So you watch something while you're posting on twitter, talking to your friends and etc?

That's how people watch things (Anime, series, movies), don't pay attention and then they go saying "this thing is horrible blu blu bli bli bo"

Congratulations

Well check out my currently watching and completed list ratings before you make assumptions. I do things like exercise, chores and whatever else on my laptop. I can follow the show even better since it is in my native language. I don’t need to see every single frame of the show lol.
I feel sorry for those of you who can’t do anything while watching anime. What a waste of your time. No wonder people think anime lovers are not productive.

Yep you can while I was catching up to the dub of My Hero Academia I was reading a book at the same time. It is much easier to multitask when you are watching in your native language.
Feb 14, 2020 7:37 PM

Apr 2019
I honestly don't care what people watched. If they are happy watching it, then just let them be. Even though I watch like 95 percent subbed, I still find some dubs to be good (FMAB, Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, etc.) People who say that dubbed shouldn't existed are just stubborn people who don't know how to be open-minded.
Feb 14, 2020 7:43 PM

Dec 2018
@Drstonefan you have to understand you're dealing with a lot of children and toxic people looking to take out their frustration. Just ignore it and move on. I'd recommend avoiding this forums to be honest, not the best place imo XD

I only ever come here for the laughs anymore, bullshit:real discussion ratio is 100:1

Peaceful_Critic said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

I mean, nobody in their right mind thinks watching dubbed anime is not watching anime.
Not everyone is in their right mind though.

+100 everyone is not in there right mind lol.
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Feb 15, 2020 12:36 AM

Jan 2020
Some anime have amazing dubbed performance, like in FMAB for example
My youtube channel about music and anime :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_rrNoYApg1VQ-PIT7jZ37Q
Feb 15, 2020 4:59 AM
Jul 2018
AnimeSuckABit said:
Some anime have amazing dubbed performance, like in FMAB for example

For sure. I would also say Little Witch Academia dub.
Feb 15, 2020 2:28 PM

Aug 2017
I'll just re-state what I said on a thread similar to this one:

ryan77999 said:
I'd say there's some shows where I prefer it in English, and others that I prefer in Japanese. Honestly, it's really about what we're used to. Even if a show has a poorly-received dub, if that's the version I watched first, then it will be the version that sounds "right".

Also, I feel that people (myself included) are biased against their native language, which is understandable because the more familiar you are with a language, the easier it is to pick apart acting in that language. Hence why people are uncomfortable hearing characters speak in English but not Japanese, Italian, Spanish, etc. We have no context for what "good" or "bad" acting in those languages would sound like.
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
Feb 15, 2020 3:05 PM

May 2016
I prefer dubbed over subbed for two simple reasons:

1. I want to WATCH the anime, not read it. The subtitles are just a distraction from what is actually going on. If I wanted to read words, I'd go pick up the manga.

2. When watching something subbed, your eyes needs to be glued to the subtitles. Even looking away for a moment can cause you to lose track of what's going on. With dubs, I can look away or run to the kitchen real quick and still be able to hear what's going on.

This doesn't mean I won't watch subbed. If there is an anime that peeks my interest that hasn't been dubbed, I'll watched it subbed. Especially if there is no indication that a dub is forthcoming. For example, I'm currently watching Plastic Memories. I also plan to watch Rec and Future Boy Conan in the near future. Most of the time, I stick to dubs though.
If you disagree with any thoughts or opinions expressed in the above post, you're wrong and I hate you forever!
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Yesterday

5 by Nemo_Niemand »»
7 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 52 minutes ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
10 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

45 by Pokitaru »»
11 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Apr 23

23 by Spunkert »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

39 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.