Forum Settings
Forums
Nov 28, 2019 3:57 PM

I'm not talking about an anime's story, I'm specifically talking about characters.
I think a character is edgy when they're so evil/dark to a point it's ridiculous, or they are incapable of any other emotions other than brooding/being crazy. Basically, when a character tries too hard to be dark.
Examples:

Most of the villains in Akame ga Kill are so over the top, that it makes me cringe, instead of feeling intimidated by them.

Sasuke: I mean, I don't think I really need to explain this: after a certain point, he stops showing emotions other than wanting revenge.

Thorfinn from Vinland Saga: now don't get me wrong, I think he's a great character in that for the most part, his edginess is justified: he's lived with his father's killer and a bunch of viking savages for years, participating in wars, and helping them kill innocents. But after a certain point in the anime, the only emotion he literally ever shows is anger. Guts is similar in Berserk in that after something tragic happens he becomes much colder and distant, but even then Guts occasionally showed more compassion to other people.

Afro from Afro Samurai: always 100% serious and monotonous, not displaying much of any other emotions.

Jotaro from Jojo kinda does fit the bill, but I remember Jotaro being somewhat of a parody of serious, edgy protagonists, in that he acts ridiculous, with his stupid one liners. Also, by Part 4, Jotaro becomes more polite and shows other emotions.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Nov 28, 2019 4:32 PM

Issac Foster's pretty edgy...but it's not like he's trying too hard; he's just mentally insane. xD

He does soften up though. ^_^

"Too much edge"=the cast of Mirai Nikki. Nuff said. xD I stopped taking it seriously when the four-year-old was portrayed to be this crafty assassin, like COME ON, YOU'RE FOUR. TAKE A NAP. lol

Nov 28, 2019 6:45 PM

nothing

cause edgy is such a lame term that's used any time someone puts on the slightest angry face

And a character trying to hard to be dark doesn't really mean they're "edgy" imo. It just means the writer was too lazy/unable to think of other emotions to give that character.
'On-Hold' is another way for a completionist to say 'Dropped'

Nov 28, 2019 6:53 PM

If their name happens to be bakugou katsuki or sasuke uchiha.

Nov 29, 2019 4:22 AM
Sasugay is edgy as hell. No one is edgier than him. And yes, villains from Akame ga Kill.
My Wife is a Demon Queen

Nov 29, 2019 4:33 AM

To my understanding, edgy means forced. The characters behave in a way to attract a certain sentiment from the viewers, and if it's extremelly forced that means it's edgy.
Yuki from mirai nikki is edgy because he had the chance and the circumstances to change but he remained a lousy crybaby just to emphasise yuno's behaviour to the viewer, her obsession and so on. Well, yuno was a bit edgy too.

And all the characters that are super optimistic even if they are in super serious anime. They are like that because the creators were like: hey, let's make this waifu optimistic even if bad things happen, yeah it's a character trait. Or not!
"Even if there's a wide world and stories
beyond the main focus, I don't think
it's necessary to end with the protagonist having
been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

Houseki no Kuni Club

Nov 29, 2019 4:40 AM

Shinji From Neon Genesis Evangelion
He becomes extremely crazy after going through all that.

Nov 29, 2019 5:32 AM
Hajime from Arifureta.

His edginess is one of the reasons why Arifureta is trash.

Nov 29, 2019 5:39 AM

My mother taught me that if i dislike a character then he is either super generic or super edgy

Nov 29, 2019 6:36 AM

How could this thread exist without someone mentioning my boy Kanedgy?!

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”

Nov 29, 2019 6:46 AM

"I don't think it means what you think it means."

Nov 29, 2019 7:02 AM
Luchse said:
🤣🤣, anime and internet ruined the manga story big time.

Nov 29, 2019 7:03 AM

Peeti said:
Luchse said:
I agree but no matter how trashy it is I still very much love it.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”

Nov 29, 2019 7:11 AM
Luchse said:
Peeti said:
I love it too, especially due to the most shitiest sequel of all time. Tokyo ghoul re: 2nd season. I was laughing 😂 with my little cousins while watching it.

Nov 29, 2019 7:12 AM

Peeti said:
Luchse said:
I love it too, especially due to the most shitiest sequel of all time. Tokyo ghoul re: 2nd season. I was laughing 😂 with my little cousins while watching it.
At least the soundtracks were great. That's something I guess.

Nov 29, 2019 7:19 AM
Luchse said:
Peeti said:
At least the soundtracks were great. That's something I guess.
From a technical point of view: a solid 4/10 from me but it's my favorite. I love it because it lead me to think of the story that how could it have gone. Spend 5 holidays writing story on notebook and then got bored as making story is difficult but rated it 10/10 due to a great time-pass.
Modified by Peeti, Nov 29, 2019 7:25 AM

Nov 29, 2019 7:21 AM
How can you make thread about edgy characters without mentioning kanedgy, the most infamous character for being edgy and it's funny that if someone have his avatar as pfp someone will say "are you going through some ruff time" haha.

Nov 29, 2019 7:42 AM

Hachiman Hikigaya is edgier than Fate/Zero, Akame ga KILL! and Madoka Meguka all united in one unlikeable package of pure unadulterd racy garbage. Oh my Gawd Yukino how could you fall for such turd. Guts, Kiritsugu and Jon Snow ain't got nothing on you boi.
Logan Lerman is the love of my life. Someday we'll marry.
Asuna, Emilia and Zelda are the ultimate goddesses of everything that's good and pure.
Zack Fair, Mahiro Fuwa and Edward Elric are the best boys of all time.
Hagane no Renkinjutsushi is the best work of fiction ever recorded in human history.
Yuki Kajiura's music can cure and heal every disease ever known by men. Oblivious is her magnum opus.
Women are the scum of this earth, and I can assure you they're well aware of that.

One is a lie. The other ones are not. DEUS VULT!

Nov 29, 2019 8:08 AM

Ken Kaneki from Tokyo Ghoul. He's too edgy for me.

Nov 29, 2019 8:27 AM

I hate words like edgy, cringy. It originally meant second hand embarassment but now its just used by everyone to insult someone or something they dont like.

Nov 30, 2019 2:12 PM
MeisterDM said:
Edgy is more subtle. Bakugou is straight up annoying

Nov 30, 2019 2:21 PM
if they are nihilistic and especially suicidal to the point of destroying the world along with them lol

Nov 30, 2019 2:39 PM

I care not for these bourgeois labels a lesser man might concern himself with.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell

Nov 30, 2019 2:49 PM

MeisterDM said:

Sasuke is like the synonym of edgy. Bakugo no. He's just a very expressive, confused and violent teenager. Todoroki before the tournament fight with Midoriya was pretty edgy, though. "My dad sucks I'll reject his power and win this tournament" etc. Thankfully Deku fixed him.

Luchse said:

He was still a cutie pie in the manga, though (a depressed cutie pie)
Everyone should read Tower of God.

Nov 30, 2019 2:53 PM

Edgy is a word that I feel no one should take seriously anymore. A lot of people just associate it with how they feel towards a certain character and would struggle to give you even their own definition of the word. People use it like the word cringe, as long as they feel that way then that's how it is. It's dumb lol

Nov 30, 2019 3:05 PM

nanimeanswhat said:
MeisterDM said:

Sasuke is like the synonym of edgy. Bakugo no. He's just a very expressive, confused and violent teenager. Todoroki before the tournament fight with Midoriya was pretty edgy, though. "My dad sucks I'll reject his power and win this tournament" etc. Thankfully Deku fixed him.

Luchse said:

"Fixed him" omegaLUL. If thats true, then why does he still act like a dick? Is being a decent human being too much for this failed abortion? I swear to fucking god, when will people stop sucking his dick? (not you though)

Nov 30, 2019 3:10 PM

MeisterDM said:
nanimeanswhat said:

"Fixed him" omegaLUL. If thats true, then why does he still act like a dick? Is being a decent human being too much for this failed abortion? I swear to fucking god, when will people stop sucking his dick? (not you though)

Well, he doesn't act like he's better than everyone and he's over that rebellious phase, and he now smiles. Even though he smiles just a little, that's a big development for him. He now quietly eats his meal and helps others. I wouldn't call him edgy now. And I'm sure many people enjoy sucking his dick lol.
Everyone should read Tower of God.

Nov 30, 2019 5:58 PM
Whatever

Mainly, if the author wanted to write them as "different" to the normally good protagonists, while murdering thousands of people without giving it another thought, but still portrayed as cool or that you should forgive everything. I think some characters like Lucy from Elfen Lied are really edgy. It comes in combination with the over the top gore and the author can't write mental illnesses like her splitted personality that looks like a cheap cliche.
Other characters aren't actual sunshines either, but they are more written as normal human beings than psychopaths and aren't so over the top, they have more normal ideas of moral etc. and have actually good reasonings.