Forum Settings
Forums

TV Anime Adaptation of 'Jujutsu Kaisen' in Production

New
Nov 24, 2019 7:06 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
This year's 52nd issue of Weekly Shounen Jump announced on Monday that a television anime adaptation of Akutami Gege's Jujutsu Kaisen (Sorcery Fight) manga is in production. The issue also revealed three main cast members.

Synopsis
In a world where demons feed on unsuspecting humans, fragments of the legendary and feared demon Ryoumen Sukuna were lost and scattered about. Should any demon consume Sukuna's body parts, the power they gain could destroy the world as we know it. Fortunately, there exists a mysterious school of Jujutsu Sorcerers who exist to protect the precarious existence of the living from the undead!

Yuuji Itadori is high schooler who spends his days visiting his bedridden grandfather. Although he looks like your average teenager, his immense physical strength is something to behold! Every sports club wants him to join, but Itadori would rather hang out with the school outcasts in the Occult Club. One day, the club manages to get their hands on a sealed cursed object, but little do they know the terror they'll unleash when they break the seal... (Source: VIZ Media, edited)

Cast
Yuuji Itadori: Junya Enoki (Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu)
Megumi Fushiguro: Yuuma Uchida (Banana Fish)
Nobara Kugisaki: Asami Seto (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari)

The three cast members will attend at a stage event at Jump Festa 2020 on December 22, where more info about the anime series will be revealed.

Gege published a four-chapter prototype titled Tokyo Toritsu Jujutsu Koutou Senmon Gakkou (Tokyo Metropolitan Magic Technical School) in Jump GIGA from April to July 2017. The supernatural action manga debuted as a regular series in Weekly Shounen Jump the following March. Shueisha published the seventh volume on October 4, with both the eighth and ninth volumes scheduled for a January 4, 2020 release. Jujutsu Kaisen has a cumulative 2 million copies of its compiled volumes in circulation.

VIZ Media published the first three chapters of the manga in English, at the same time as Japan, in its digital Weekly Shounen Jump magazine as a part its Jump Start initiative. The company now simulpubs the manga digitally with the Japanese release through its Shounen Jump service. The first volume will ship on December 3. Shueisha also began simulpublishing the manga in English on its Manga Plus platform this January.

Shueisha published a side-story light novel by Ballad Kitakuni subtitled Iku Natsu to Kaeru Aki (The Soaring Summer and Returning Autumn) under the Jump J-Books imprint on May 1. A second volume, subtitled Yoake no Ibara Michi (Thorny Path at Dawn), also written by Kitakuni, will go on sale on January 4, 2020.

Weekly Shounen Jump streamed three promotional videos on its official YouTube channel last December in commemoration of the simultaneous release of volume three and volume zero (prototype). Voice actor Yuuichi Nakamura (World Trigger) narrated the promos as the character Satoru Gojou.

Jujutsu Kaisen placed first in the 14th edition of Recommended Comics Selected by Japanese Bookstore Employees this year and ranked sixth in the 4th Tsugi ni Kuru Manga Taisho in 2018—a joint award by Kadokawa's Da Vinci literature magazine and streaming platform Niconico. The manga was also nominated for the 65th Shogakukan Manga Awards in the Shounen division.

Official site: https://jujutsukaisen.jp/
Official Twitter: @animejujutsu
Manga official site: https://www.shonenjump.com/j/rensai/jujutsu.html
Manga official Twitter: @jujutsu_PR

Source: Comic Natalie

Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) on MAL
VindstotNov 24, 2019 10:12 AM

Nov 24, 2019 7:14 AM

Apr 2011
Woah! This sounds interesting.

Nov 24, 2019 8:05 AM
Apr 2014
ooh nice, time to reread the manga
Nov 24, 2019 10:07 AM
Jul 2019
Issmail22Lawfy said:
the mainstream is already crowded with shounen anime.
i mean there is more than 7 new long released in the last 4 years shounen anime .
they should stop this for sometime to give a fresh air , people will start hating shounen like they hate isekai now .
and this is noticable if we look at the rating of some shounen like fire force and black clover and the hate they gets.

i'm not against this manga or something but this will only hurt the original work it self. even if it gets some popularity there is a small chance succeed in this crowded shounen agenda.

Fire Force and Black Clover get poor ratings because they're painfully average not because they're shounen whereas jujutsu kaisen is actually interesting and isn't just your regular copy and paste shounen formula of "I want to be the best ___"
Nov 24, 2019 10:51 AM

Feb 2013
Issmail22Lawfy said:
i mean there is more than 7 new long released in the last 4 years shounen anime .
they should stop this for sometime to give a fresh air , people will start hating shounen like they hate isekai now .
and this is noticable if we look at the rating of some shounen like fire force and black clover and the hate they gets.

i'm not against this manga or something but this will only hurt the original work it self. even if it gets some popularity there is a small chance succeed in this crowded shounen agenda.

No, it won't hurt anything because you don't have any idea what you're talking about, if anything, this will give a huge boost to the manga in Japan. Mal shouldn't be a measure for anything with poor ratingsor reception, as companies don't care for those things and don't even know about mal, they care for popularity, regardless if some dislike or hate a series, if there's a sizeable part who likes

Also, Shounen isn't a genre, it's a demographic and this and other series are just battle manga/battle anime.
Nov 24, 2019 3:11 PM
Playing Violet

Jun 2017
More dark shounen is always appreciated!X3
Nov 24, 2019 3:49 PM

Mar 2015
Issmail22Lawfy said:

you are not forced to watch them.

also, that's not how industry works.

and shounen is demographic. there is more than only 7.

memes2dank69 said:
Issmail22Lawfy said:

Fire Force and Black Clover get poor ratings because they're painfully average not because they're shounen whereas jujutsu kaisen is actually interesting and isn't just your regular copy and paste shounen formula of "I want to be the best ___"

he just want to save people tho. i don't see how it's any different.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 24, 2019 8:39 PM

Feb 2011
I look forward to it.
眠れないのは君のせい
Nov 25, 2019 1:40 AM
Jan 2016
I hope Pierrot doesn't animate this it'll have the budget of a grain of rice I'm hoping for ufotable or bones personally I think ufotable could bring out the best of the series weird and creepy artstyle
I'd rather die a free man then live under the rules of idiots
Nov 25, 2019 2:10 AM

Apr 2016
I think I'll give it a chance. By the way, it doesn’t seem to much original but I’ll watch it before say anything.
Nov 26, 2019 12:50 PM
Jun 2013
Issmail22Lawfy said:

This has to the most out of touch comment that i saw in this site for a while, its like hilarious!!! Shounen is a demographic, not a genre, it's the term for series aimed to young boys/teens, the battle anime you watch and something like Kono Oto Tomare or Beastars are shounen series too!

Also, Black Clover isn't even hated anymore, you're totally out of touch with the audience and you forgot the fact Kimetsu no Yaiba is current a phenomenon reaching almost 1 million of copies per volume in Japan, depending on the studio Jujutsu Kaisen will become a big hit since the manga is already quite popular on Japan.
Nov 26, 2019 1:20 PM

Oct 2018
i read the manga and this could be potential to be one of the best shounen anime. just hope the studio handle this pretty well...
Nov 27, 2019 6:45 AM
Sep 2019
Ohhh, I read about this previously in another article. The manga was really good and I really this that this show has amazing potential to be a good shonen. Looking forward to this
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Nov 27, 2019 6:49 AM

Nov 2016
Jujutsu Kaisen is Getting an Anime and I might pick it up before hand.

We only need an Anime studio (Hopefully Shaft or even Cloverworks) to Pick up Act-Age so we can have an Anime of every good NEW WSJ series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 3, 2019 5:23 AM
Sep 2017
Chika and takezou from kono oto tomare + chihaya from chihayafuru
Dec 21, 2019 10:14 PM

Nov 2007
Satoru Gojou: Yuuichi Nakamura
Teaser visual
https://twitter.com/animejujutsu/status/1208603042028781574
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 24, 2019 9:53 AM

Aug 2010
Time to read the manga...
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Oct 13, 2021 12:18 AM

Dec 2020
Issmail22Lawfy said:

Manga reader here to say something, it's not a generic shounen. More like dark shounen rn :)

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
4 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 9 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
6 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 7 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
7 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 9 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.