Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Poll: do you prefer playing as characters of the same or opposite sex when given the option?

Nov 22, 5:11 PM
a lot of games have you choose between playing with a female or male avatar. i’m a girl, and i always prefer to play as guys and i’m not even really sure why, but i usually end up playing the female one anyway so i don’t have to answer people when they ask me why. i’m getting fire emblem 3 houses for christmas and i wanna play as male byleth (might just stick with the female one anyway so i can date dimitri) and i genuinely don’t know why i tend to gravitate towards male mcs.

anyone else the same? if so, why?

Nov 22, 5:36 PM

I play male or female depending on aesthetic. In MHW, I prefer male armor to female armor, so I play as male. In Dragon's Dogma, male armor make you look fat, so I choose female character.

When it comes to games that have dating elements like Three Houses, I always play as a male cause I'm not gay.

Nov 22, 7:13 PM

I don't play video games that often those days since I'm mostly watching anime but I'm a woman and I like playing as a guy when you can create your own character. When I will get my hands on Cyberpunk 2077 I will make a male character just because I can. lmao Same for other games I'm waiting for. They all have a character creator.

Nov 22, 11:19 PM

If its an RPG I find it hard to be immersed in it if I'm playing a female, but in other types of games don't really mind
UwU

Nov 22, 11:51 PM

Depends on the game.

If it's like some generic pokemon bullshit then I will just pick whatever. But if it's RPG where you customize appearance and you make choices throughout the game then I always stick with my gender. I just end up making the character look like me and I just choose to do whatever I would do. Might be boring but.. eh I don't really have an imagination to make stuff up.

Nov 23, 12:04 AM

I always wonder why people make a big deal out of people playing the other gender, but never, say, playing a race that isn't human if it offers the choice, or a class they would never associate with in real life. It's just a game, play whatever looks best.

Nov 23, 1:31 AM

I have always play a male and the one who looks closest to me. I always think it's weird that men play as women in online games.

Nov 23, 9:27 AM

It all depends on the game and what I'm "aiming" for at the moment.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”

Nov 23, 11:23 AM

I always play the male to represent me into the game.

Nov 23, 8:47 PM

I always play male but there were few occassions I actually played as a female.

Nov 23, 10:40 PM

Don't know if someone posted this already, but I've told everyone since I was a teen that I play as a female because I don't want to be staring at a male ass for 50 hours.

Nov 24, 12:47 AM

I'm a boy. I like to play as a male most of the time but sometimes as a female character. I played Skyrim with a male character and the same for the mass effect because I get more attached to it.

on the FPS multiplayer games, I usually prefer females because it may give an advantage, because female bodies are smaller compared to males and hiding may be more effective.
Modified by Sifter_Farshad, Nov 24, 12:55 AM

Nov 24, 2:34 AM

The best thing about anonymity was that you could just play as whatever gender you felt like. Nowadays it's all about the political nuances and it's something I just can't adapt to. That's why I'd rather not say whom I'd play as.
"If you died, would anyone care? Would they really care? Maybe, they'd cry for a day. But, let's be honest no one would give a shit. They wouldn't. The few people that would feel obligated to go to your funeral would probably be annoyed and leave as early as possible. That's who you are. That's what you are. You are nothing to anyone. To everyone."
-Mr. Robot

"I can take another name, and build a new life.. But on the inside I'll always have that instinct, no matter how much I hate it. I'm yakuza through and through. Guile only gets you so far in this game. Remember that. You won't get another chance."
-Kiryu Kazuma

Nov 25, 4:11 PM
Litmus Test

I'm a male who often plays as a female character: Because I can.

...That, and when I got back to playing games on PC and started adding mods to Skyrim and Fallout 3, there was a phase where I would masturbate to the nude/sex mods, but I've gotten over that roughly four years ago since eroge works better. That said, even mods for female clothing and armor that's not scantily clad just looks better than the mods that are made for males; at least for Skyrim. I mainly just use quality-of-life mods to Fallout 4.

Esquirtit said:
Rei is the most boring, fish-faced, nude
blue haired anxiety induced piece of slutty
whorish daddy issue fucking EVA deepthroating
LCL crackwhore

Nov 25, 4:49 PM

I play as a male most of the time. The only series I really play with a female character consistently is Monster Hunter and Fortnite.

Nov 25, 4:52 PM

Sometimes, when a friend and I would play a "Mario Party" game, I would choose either Peach or Daisy.

I almost never play fighting games, but when I do, I almost always play as a female character, because they tend to be more agile.

Nov 25, 4:55 PM

Always played as guys. It's what I identify with as a guy, so that's naturally what I go for.

I think guys go for females because of the fashion options. As females tend to have a bigger list of fashion choices. Also could be because they want booty to look at as they run around a virtual world.

Nov 26, 3:42 AM

I'm male... And I usually go for Male builds, sometimes makes him a lot like me aswell.

Considering some games like Mount & Blade will give you penalties for playing as female, so yeah. I usually go for male characters most of the time.

Nov 26, 6:44 AM

In an MMO I'd usually pick male to avoid dumb gamerbros getting pissy later on, but single player where stats aren't affected I usually go for female because I'm not gonna lie to myself about preferring to stare at waifu-bait. I prefer magic cannons and healer parties too which often mean mostly female casts anyways. Action games give females a focus on agility and conservative play which is my favored style anyways. Not to say there aren't exceptions where male characters aren't better or cool enough to warrant playing them, that also happens plenty too.

Besides ideal-waifu-insert is always better than self-insert-power-fantasy imo.

Nov 27, 12:33 AM

I play as a male character, but some instances I went for a female is in Crossfire because one particular character is a limited edition and just had to buy it for the rarity, as well as in Dragona Online, Dragon Nest, and Grand Chase where the genders of the classes that I chose are fixed.

Nov 27, 8:13 AM

I only play games where I can choose my own character (if the body/facial customization is available then it's a plus), but, games, where you cannot choose your characters, are shit games (yes overhyped Witcher series is no exception).

Nov 27, 10:19 AM
Depends on how I feel, honestly. With games such as mass effect or dragon age my first character is usually an imaginary me (so to speak), the second a woman. For other games, I'll just start directly with a female character cos it doesn't change shit or I don't care. TES series or anything made by bethesda is a good example of that. Same for destiny/borderlands and similar stuff.
BallistikJuice said:
but, games, where you cannot choose your characters, are shit games (yes overhyped Witcher series is no exception).
lolno

Nov 27, 2:56 PM

When playing games I prefer to play as a female, I usually don't self insert myself into a character.

ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜꜱᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴀꜱɪᴇꜱᴛ ᴡᴀy ᴛᴏ ᴋᴇᴇᴩ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ʜᴜʀᴛ
yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇᴅ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
yᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴀʟʟ yᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴇᴀʀɴᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴋᴇ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ

Nov 27, 11:58 PM
I jump back and forth a lot but always play as female characters in the Tales series, quite a number of em have fun movesets and are op if you understand their gimmicks(I'm looking at you Rita & Edna)

Come to think of it, lotta people wonder if I have a thing for short haired girls because of it rofl

Nov 28, 12:08 AM

I enjoy playing as my own sex most of the time, but it can be fun to play as a girl as well. Usually I play the opposite sex if I play through something a second time.

Nov 28, 12:17 AM

Tinybox said:
When playing games I prefer to play as a female, I usually don't self insert myself into a character.

Pretty much this. And I don't want to look at a guy's ass 24/7 when it can be a female's. Call me perv or whatever.

Nov 28, 2:14 AM

Renkini said:
Tinybox said:

Pretty much this. And I don't want to look at a guy's ass 24/7 when it can be a female's. Call me perv or whatever.

That's pretty much how I look at it too haha

ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜꜱᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴀꜱɪᴇꜱᴛ ᴡᴀy ᴛᴏ ᴋᴇᴇᴩ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ʜᴜʀᴛ
yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇᴅ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
yᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴀʟʟ yᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴇᴀʀɴᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴋᴇ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ

Nov 28, 3:28 AM
#TeamAkko

I started playing games on the SNES. I played as Mario but I am not Mario. I played as Sonic. I am not Sonic.
I played RPGs like Final Fantasy. I am not those characters.

I play characters that are interesting to me or ones that I find attractive. I don't play characters to represent myself. I already do that on a daily basis by existing.

**New Track** - Bowsette's Castle
Little Witch Academia (TV) is ranked #510
#LWAshouldBeTop10
#AkkoDeservesBetter
#TeamAkko
#Justice4Akko
#BelievingInYourselfIsYourMagic

My Music Productions & Lo-fi Edits

Nov 28, 4:03 AM

If it doesn't have romance element then I'm gonna play as female. It would still depends on character design, sometimes females have better clothing design. I respect females *waves a rice cooker*

Nov 28, 10:35 AM

most games I have played dont let you choose, if they do then I play as a guy/same. I'd rather not play as a girl.

The only time I did was in those old Tomb Raider Games.

Nov 28, 12:45 PM

I always see so many people play as the opposite gender I never got that. I guess the argument I've seen is you're gonna be staring at the character model all game so might as well pick the prettier one but I like the aspect of assuming the role of the character so I always pick the same as me.

Nov 28, 4:50 PM

I often play as both, depends on the game though

MMO? female character for the comedic value and free stuff lmoa

Nov 28, 6:03 PM

I think it makes no difference to me, but when I can choose, I always pick the male characters
And then, God missed a step of his stairs

Nov 28, 7:19 PM

I have a tendency to pick female characters because I don't relate to the overwhelming majority of male characters in things.

Nov 28, 9:48 PM

The few times I play female characters is usually when the male characters are too ugly

Nov 28, 9:59 PM

If it's like a fighting game or something with a bunch of characters with unique mechanics I don't give a flying fuck, sometimes I'll pick the hottest guy, but if it's like an RPG or dating sim where you're supposed to emphasize with the character and it affects who you can date or a game with character creation where the player character is supposed to be your avatar, I would prefer the option to play as a girl.

Modified by HeruruMeruru, Nov 28, 10:53 PM

Dec 2, 3:00 PM

Opposite is more fun, so yeah.

Dec 2, 3:25 PM

For me it just depends on my mood, sometimes male other times female it usually doesn't change the story and i'm not against playing as either or, so i don't mind.

Dec 2, 6:10 PM

depends, if It's a game like Pokémon where I will only have one save I usually will go for a male char but in something like wow where I might have multiple characters I will go for whatever I feel like at the moment and what might fit the role-play style I'm going for.
Don't listen to people who have anime characters as their profile pic.

Dec 2, 6:15 PM

QPR said:
I have always play a male and the one who looks closest to me. I always think it's weird that men play as women in online games.

I have always played as a woman, and generally with completely different features than mine. I always think it's weird that people would play as someone close to themselves in games.

Imagine playing Dungeon and Dragon and deciding to make a weeb character :'D Might as well stay home and watch chinese cartoons while munching chips.

Dec 2, 7:14 PM

I play 90% of games as the same gender. The only exception to this is usually the occasional MMORPG I play and the female characters look that much better than the male characters.

Dec 2, 8:23 PM
I always choose to play as a male in RPGs and other games where you play as an avatar (Animal Crossing series, Pokémon series, etc.). Maybe I should play as a female avatar instead in such a game at some point; that might be interesting.

I often play as female characters in other games though. For example, I've played as Palutena several times in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and likewise with Rosalina in some Mario games.
Modified by Digibutter64, Dec 2, 8:28 PM

Dec 2, 11:08 PM

Deathko said:

I have always played as a woman, and generally with completely different features than mine. I always think it's weird that people would play as someone close to themselves in games.

Imagine playing Dungeon and Dragon and deciding to make a weeb character :'D Might as well stay home and watch chinese cartoons while munching chips.

To be honest, that would be preferable to having to play D&D

Dec 3, 11:16 AM

Both, I don't care, if my character is male or female and make them half-half, but I don't like if they look like me, because I'd like to someone else.

Dec 3, 11:36 AM

It largely depends on the game and how the characters of one gender look as opposed to the opposite, as well as whether the game itself feels overall masculine or feminine to me. If I can make a ridiculously cute/sexy girl to play as in a casual game, I absolutely will.
80% of a man's job is being decisive. The rest is just gravy. That's something my mentor taught me.

Dec 3, 11:38 AM

The “camera” in a video game tends to hover behind a virtual player, so if im stuck behind one for dozens, if not hundreds of hours, it might as well be a shapely one.

Dec 7, 1:31 AM

I have played both male and female but without a clear preference tho if I had to guess i'd say female but generally it depends on the game and what i'm in the mood for.

Dec 7, 4:09 AM
depends on the boob physics.

Dec 7, 10:07 AM

Always same gender.

Edit: Unless its a second playthrough.

Dec 8, 1:54 AM

I play male for relatability, female for eyecandy.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »