Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Post New Reply
Nov 22, 2019 6:31 AM

Probably a bad idea. Anime names are okay for pets (as long as it's not really out there). I think it depends on the name.

I think Japanese names should be reserved for those of Japanese ancestry. So if your kid is part Japanese, then go for it. But if not, you may want to reconsider.

Nov 22, 2019 6:44 AM
Wicker_Senpai93 said:
Probably a bad idea. Anime names are okay for pets (as long as it's not really out there). I think it depends on the name.

I think Japanese names should be reserved for those of Japanese ancestry. So if your kid is part Japanese, then go for it. But if not, you may want to reconsider.

Idk. Why should Japanese names be any different than say English, Spanish etc, names and so... it is acceptable for people from all around the globe to use them, even if they sound stupid in their own culture.

Nov 22, 2019 7:21 AM

The only anime name I'd ever consider naming my kid after is Hina (after the 3-gatsu character) because it's an actual girl's name in my culture, albeit pronounced differently. My kid would be safe from bullies and I'd still be indulging my geekiness.

Nov 22, 2019 9:00 AM

Unless a miracle would happen and I'd move to Japan, the only Japanese name my future children have a chance to be given is Mai (but rather with y and not i) and it is also a local name. Other than... I may use something that sounds a bit like it, use the first letter or meaning. Unless it's a Jew name, but let's be real, there are rare. And yeah, things like Jonathan can also be transformed easily.

Nov 22, 2019 9:10 AM

Sure, but something that's not outright Japanese. Like Renton or Nadia.

Nov 22, 2019 9:20 AM

LemurLime said:
Wicker_Senpai93 said:

Idk. Why should Japanese names be any different than say English, Spanish etc, names and so... it is acceptable for people from all around the globe to use them, even if they sound stupid in their own culture.

I'm not saying non-Japanese should be barred from using Japanese names. But I personally think it's better for names to be tied to ethnicity. English and Spanish are the dominant language for several cultures, so it makes sense that those names would be more widespread. Japanese is not widespread.

Nov 22, 2019 9:33 AM
Wicker_Senpai93 said:
LemurLime said:

I'm not saying non-Japanese should be barred from using Japanese names. But I personally think it's better for names to be tied to ethnicity. English and Spanish are the dominant language for several cultures, so it makes sense that those names would be more widespread. Japanese is not widespread.

Names are mere words made up by humans to call these living things in hopes to provide psychological distinction. Limiting yourself with some sort of sub-nationalism and naming your children somewhat inappropriately (~Grudge Decimatio) are two different things. Names unbound by stereotypes and beautiful in their own way lie in-between.
Re:formed

Nov 22, 2019 10:12 AM

I might consider it but only if the character has a non hebrew european name because these are the names that interest me the most
I really enjoy those "helicopter ride" memes

Nov 22, 2019 10:32 AM

Just imagine what would happen if someone named "Son Gokuu" hated anime...

Nov 22, 2019 10:33 AM

Daniel_Naumov said:
Wicker_Senpai93 said:

Names are mere words made up by humans to call these living things in hopes to provide psychological distinction. Limiting yourself with some sort of sub-nationalism and naming your children somewhat inappropriately (~Grudge Decimatio) are two different things. Names unbound by stereotypes and beautiful in their own way lie in-between.

I wouldn't consider that "sub-nationalism", it's more tradition than anything else.

Nov 22, 2019 10:55 AM

Cute for a pet, cringe for a person. It's the same with naming your kid kylo ren or some got character. Its cringe and will only lead to embarrassment for your kid as they get older

Nov 22, 2019 11:05 AM
I wanna give my kids a weeb name but it would definitely hurt them in school. So I might give them character names that aren't Japanese like Erwin, Edward, Joseph etc. Or I have to marry a Japanese chick to give it validation.

Nov 22, 2019 11:14 AM
Lala Deviluke❤️

I'm not Japanese, so no. I can't seem to relate how admiring an anime character would lead you to naming your children after them. Not like your admiration will take a huge leap. Plus, naming your children after those characters feels more like you admiring the name rather than the character.

Nov 22, 2019 11:19 AM

If I get a daughter, I'm 100% naming her "Javelin"

Nov 22, 2019 1:00 PM
Wicker_Senpai93 said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

I wouldn't consider that "sub-nationalism", it's more tradition than anything else.

Oh yeah that's what it is called. Alright.
Re:formed

Nov 22, 2019 1:02 PM
KatsutoSaki said:
I'm not Japanese, so no. I can't seem to relate how admiring an anime character would lead you to naming your children after them. Not like your admiration will take a huge leap. Plus, naming your children after those characters feels more like you admiring the name rather than the character.

What if they want their kids to take after the positive qualities of the character in question, like to be brave like Gohan, or kawaii like Ochako?

Nov 22, 2019 2:50 PM
Jugemu Jugemu Goko no Surikire Kaijarisuigyo no Suigyomatsu Unraimatsu Furaimatsu Ku Neru Tokoro ni Sumu Tokoro Yabura Koji no Bura Koji Paipo-paipo Paipo no Shuringan Shuringan no Gurindai Gurindai no Ponpokopi no Ponpokona no Chokyumei no Chosuke seems cool name
Don't be a self pretentious that is the most gayest thing ever
English Dubs are better than subs
You all have anime profile pic so you opinion doesn't count
Your Waifu is trash
Cory in the house is the best anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFQQALduhzA
Japanese are one of the most xenophobic nations
My Anime List looks like a website from 1990s

Nov 22, 2019 3:13 PM

Well it depends. I mean, there are plenty of anime characters called John and Mary. I can even name my kid Allen, Joseph, Victor, Ken, Edward and Levi and not feel weebish about it because there are many kids with that name.

If I have a Japanese spouse, Rin, Sora and Yuki are my top choices for my child.

Although, I have to admit, Kirito, Eren, Deku, Naruto, Goku, Luffy, Lelouch and Light are a bit too iconic so naming them is a bit too ridiculous. Hell, I even think Groot, Anakin, Hermoine, Daenerys and Olaf are a bit ridiculous for name choices as well.

Allow me to teach you something useful:
My Top 20 Japanese Cartoons
Many people say that anime is not a cartoon. But in the end, they're nothing more but drawings on paper.
Anime elitists in a nutshell...
Haruhi Suzumiya<Yuki Nagato

Nov 22, 2019 3:23 PM

oh yeah goku’s first day of kindergarten was this year isn’t that sweet??? my little man is growing up so fast...

yesterday jotaro said his first words too, they were “Ora Ora”! i know it was the right decision to name him after my one and only role model in life, he’s gonna take after him for sure

Nov 22, 2019 6:47 PM

degeneracy

/word count requirement filler

Nov 22, 2019 6:48 PM

Oh my, I'm glad you asked. I too want my kids to be bullied so they learn how to appreciate small things, such as adequate and proper names.

Nov 22, 2019 9:55 PM

Well there is a anime character that does share the same name as me and she is a knight! I mean I see no big deal as long its not some weeb shit like Sasuke or Itachi. There are a ton of characters that have British/English names for me to choose from. I really like the names Annerose and Hilda.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"

Nov 22, 2019 10:37 PM

I'll name my son "Pico" of course, no regret.

Nov 22, 2019 10:39 PM

Imagine being named vegeta or piccolo lol

Nov 22, 2019 10:44 PM

Sure, I don't have a problem with it. Some japanese people give their children american names so why not?
"It's not like I wanted a signature or anything...BAKA!" - A MAL user.

Nov 22, 2019 10:46 PM

I just think "Eren" is quite an æsthetic name, I also think "Anakin" is, but I have nothing with the latter character.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell

Nov 22, 2019 11:01 PM

Well, abortion is apparently fine, so exerting this level of control over the future of a living, breathing entity that wants to just grow up and live should be seen as such too, considering it's comparatively less impactful.

Go for it. Name your kid Naruto Uzumaki Smith. Have a fuckin' ball with it.
Modified by Manaban, Nov 22, 2019 11:06 PM

Nov 22, 2019 11:04 PM

Mirai said:
"Dad, why is my sister named Daenerys?"
"Because your mother loved a character with that name"
"Thanks dad!"
"No problem Jugemu Jugemu Unko Nageki Ototoi no Shin-chan no Pantsu Shinpachi no Jinsei Barumunku Fezarion Aizakku Shunaidaa Sanbun no Ichi no Junjou na Kanjou no Nokotta Sanbun no Ni wa Sakamuke ga Kininaru Kanjou Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru you de Shiranai no wo Boku wa Shitteiru Rusu Surume Medaka Kazunoko Koedame Medaka... Kono Medaka wa Sakki to Chigau Yatsu Dakara Ikeno Medaka no Hou Dakara Raayu Yuuteimiyaoukimukou Pepepepepepepepepepepepe Bichiguso Maru"

Real talk tho I can't wait to see the weeblet generation grow up and instead of Mary's and John's we have Naruto's and Goku's running around.

Damn. I laugh more than I should have

Nov 22, 2019 11:16 PM

Mirai said:
"Dad, why is my sister named Daenerys?"
"Because your mother loved a character with that name"
"Thanks dad!"
"No problem Jugemu Jugemu Unko Nageki Ototoi no Shin-chan no Pantsu Shinpachi no Jinsei Barumunku Fezarion Aizakku Shunaidaa Sanbun no Ichi no Junjou na Kanjou no Nokotta Sanbun no Ni wa Sakamuke ga Kininaru Kanjou Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru you de Shiranai no wo Boku wa Shitteiru Rusu Surume Medaka Kazunoko Koedame Medaka... Kono Medaka wa Sakki to Chigau Yatsu Dakara Ikeno Medaka no Hou Dakara Raayu Yuuteimiyaoukimukou Pepepepepepepepepepepepe Bichiguso Maru"

Real talk tho I can't wait to see the weeblet generation grow up and instead of Mary's and John's we have Naruto's and Goku's running around.

HAHAHA gave me a good laugh thanks. :D

UwU

Nov 23, 2019 4:26 AM

It depends on the name how bad it may end up being for the kid.

A boy in a western country named Naruto or Makoto or Goku or Vegeta will have problems. But if his named Edward or Joseph is not that bad.

A girl named Sakura, Asuka, Tokiko, Hitagi etc will be too obvious. But names like Saya, Emilia, Anna, Rei, Karen etc can be quite passable.

Nov 23, 2019 5:22 AM
As others have already mentioned, I'd say it depends on where you live, mostly or how easy it is to say the name for everyone else, or if People can/will probably make fun of it.
Like sure, at the end of the day it is your decision, but if it's a really hardcore Japanese Name that is even obscure for Japanese Standards (bc we all know some anime characters gonna be extra as hell), then Maybe step away from it. Choose normal-ish names that everyone can say without butchering them. I'd say easy names like Yuna, Hana or Mio will be fine, but don't choose anything that's really cringey or hard to say bc your kid def. won't be happy that way.

Nov 23, 2019 5:40 AM

there is many names I like from anime characters , but most of them from villains ....... so not gonna name my kid with that.....
“If I were rain,
That joins sky and earth that otherwise never touch,
Could I join two hearts as well?”
― Tite Kubo

“To forgive or not to forgive.. are those my only choices?”
― Natsuki Takaya

“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

“But even when the moon looks like it's waning.. it's actually never changing shape. Don't ever forget that.”
― Ai Yazawa

“No one can tell what is righteous and what is wrong, what is good and what is evil.”
― Tsugumi Ohba

“In this world, not everything will be won by justice. If you want to win, you have to learn how to cheat.”
― Ai Yazawa

Nov 23, 2019 6:16 AM

No, your child be bullied for sure also what if you kid doesn't like anime/japanese culture?

Naming your child after something you probably love temporarily is not good. What will you do when you're 60 and have not interest in anime/otaku culture and you have to shout over your kid? It's like having a tattoo of someone you love but you break up with soon after getting that tattoo will seem really dumb.

Nov 23, 2019 7:03 AM

I would find that very cringy unless your child was Japanese. People also should not choose a person's name based off of something as unimportant as a TV show. Names are far more important than that, and should be something more meaningful

Nov 23, 2019 7:17 AM

I think it's dope. But I suppose there's something to be said about the thought that naming your kid a Japanese name when they're not might be strange. On the other hand, I have a friend named Kendo who's not Japanese and another named Kazuki who's aslo not Japanese. We didn't think much about it, so have at it.
Ya boy is going to Kanpai!Con 2020 in Illinois! See you there!

Nov 23, 2019 12:06 PM
I've had a classmate name his daughter after a yu-gi-oh like it was so cute omg ^^

Nov 23, 2019 12:42 PM
I think I'll name my son Escanor (from 7 deadly sins) cuz I love that name it makes you sound supperior to everyone else.

Nov 23, 2019 2:09 PM

Can't wait to name my kids after OP anime characters like Alucard and Aizen.

Nov 23, 2019 2:18 PM

I think it depends on what character honestly. Some character names are actually pretty cute such as Sakura (in my opinion anyways)

Nov 23, 2019 4:20 PM

It really depends. If you are someone who isn't Asian at all and neither is your child then naming them like Sateru seems rather odd. Honestly though people have given their kids worse names.

Sounds gay. I'm in!

I f*ucking hate optimism.

Nov 23, 2019 4:38 PM
Would name my children Gurren and Lagann lmao.

Nov 23, 2019 4:52 PM
if my kid grows a golden afro i name him bobobo

Nov 23, 2019 5:54 PM
honestly i would totally, that is if i had a guy just as obsessed as me. which is probably not gonna happen.

Nov 23, 2019 11:22 PM

I wouldn't go naming them naruto or anything remotely Japanese(unless my partner happened to be Japanese).

I'd do something more lowkey like Jonathan, Isaac, Miria, Sofia, Levi, Johan, Emma, Edward, Sebastian, Joseph, etc.

I'd kill to name my kids Megumin, Dio, ETC. though.

On another note, you could name a girl 'kurisu'(steins;gate), and just call her Kristina. I might do that actually lmaolmao

Nov 23, 2019 11:27 PM

I work as teacher, I think it's super entertaining. Makes my job more fun. I met a kid named Kamina. Not a bad name at all, either.

Nov 24, 2019 2:22 AM
Whatever

Oh god no, please don't be that weeb. It's not about yourself, but your kid, who has to live with it, even when you became dust long time ago. And a kid named stuff like Hikari, etc may appear cute to you but is it still cute, if they are in their mid 30s+?

Yes, if you could pick a common name for your country, then yes. I don't see what's wrong with Edward and Sophie in Europe or US, but unless the father isn't Japanese, I can't explain where a weeb name comes from.

Buy a cat or dog and give him a weeb name, nobody minda about that. I got my new cats after I watched My roommate is a cat and the fur pattern doesn't fit and he's a boy, but still, here we are, with a black and white cat named Haru. Because he doesn't mind and I had a lack of creativity but liked the name.

Kids might end with names like Anna, Lukas, Julian etc. I like them.

Nov 24, 2019 8:40 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it but, if it was the parent, I wouldn't name my child something outer-worldly.

.ANRK

Nov 24, 2019 8:43 AM
The JoJo Pleb

I mean I wanna name a future daughter (if I have one) Jolyne. Nothing too crazy I guess. I think giving them very Japanese names (of course if you're Japanese yourself that's chill) isn't a good idea. I mean think about it, if you can see your child giving bullied for heavily for their name, I wouldn't give it to them.

Nov 24, 2019 8:55 AM
Loknir said:
I mean I wanna name a future daughter (if I have one) Jolyne. Nothing too crazy I guess. I think giving them very Japanese names (of course if you're Japanese yourself that's chill) isn't a good idea. I mean think about it, if you can see your child giving bullied for heavily for their name, I wouldn't give it to them.

If she is a Jolyne she will be able to deal with it! Be careful how you bring her up tho.

Nov 24, 2019 9:40 AM

I'm never having children but dear weebs please don't do that to your future kids unless the the name isn't something too unusual in your part of the world. Western or western sounding names will most probably work out fine in most parts of the world but a more Japanese sounding name may not unless you are living in Japan or have a Japanese spouse. I for one would have hated to have a name which others would make fun of or tease me for.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »