Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 21, 2019 8:38 PM

Jul 2009
So after last week's episode I compulsively read the manga from where I stopped about 2 years ago to the current chapter and whew, Taichi really never gets a break huh? >_< Of course he wasn't going to win against Chihaya, but it was at least nice to see her and her passion for becoming a teacher and going on the trip. Now Arata and Taichi on the other hand ... their feelings are pretty complicated eh? Especially towards each other. (I say just skip Chihaya and have them get together XD) I do already know what happens in their 3rd year, but Taichi really going for it and skipping the class trip ... completely forgot that happened! Man, I feel for him though ... and then Chihaya going on the trip while he's not there lol. I wish we had more break episodes like this tbh, but it looks like it's already going to be the qualifiers next episode. Nice scene with Yuu and Arata at the end. Plus more Shinobu and Suou ... I love both of them so I'm always happy to see them get more screen time! :D Ugh, still though, seeing all the effort that Taichi puts in and yet not be rewarded is pretty difficult. Either way, I wonder how much of the manga this season will cover. Apparently the manga is "ending soon" ... wonder if that's true :O
Nov 21, 2019 8:49 PM
Jun 2019
I was really hoping to see the rest of that match play out. Even if it was only 10 min of that episode. We have all been waiting for this match....

And I was hoping for Taichi to win. Hope he has a strong come back. Chihaya is such a dummy but is so pure of heart.
Nov 22, 2019 12:14 AM

Oct 2012

How dare you! Meijin-title is more important than Chihaya's heart, kono yarou! (ಠ_ಠ)

I will give Taichi Chihaya's heart (even thought it is Chihaya's and her to decide who she wants to give it to) if that is what is required for Arata to become the Meijin! (=_=)

I wonder if Sensei will have Arata walk that predestined path so easily. Almost too predictable.

Anyway, it is Arata's dream, it never was Taichi's dream.

Ah, Sensei has her little accessories in her bag.....after giving you a Godiva, first quality chocolate, she might just lash you with her little whip, when you where feeling all good and high on the choco.
chiakimagotoNov 22, 2019 12:23 AM
Nov 22, 2019 1:34 AM

Dec 2018
Harada-sensei said something in the lines of: words such as "I tried my best" or "It was so close" will disappear in thin air and die in the past. The only way to set in stone your efforts is by showing results.

That was like a punch in the stomach when you compare the postmatch attention Chihaya received vs. Taichi being left all alone. They both were finalists and their match was neck to neck, but he was completely forgotten afterwards while Chihaya was surrounded by friends and receiving praise from multiple people. Ouch. Even I was bitter for him.

But above all, I love this match so much that the results doesn't matter to me. If any won, I'd be happy and equally sad for the loser (be it Chihaya or Taichi)...

---

Taichi needs to go through a journey of his own. If he doesn't separate himself from Chihaya, he'll never earn her respect as a rival of equal terms and he'll always be seen as 'that guy she sees everyday who loses to her in Karuta'.

Even though Taichi knows so much about Chihaya, as her mind is somewhere else, she puts very little effort to learn more about him and hasn't been paying attention to her most important and closest people. I believe the main reason she's upset in the trip is because she finally realized her own obliviousness towards a guy she's seen every single day for the past 2 years, yet she knows nothing about.
Nov 22, 2019 3:34 AM

Oct 2018
Akkala said:

That was like a punch in the stomach when you compare the postmatch attention Chihaya received vs. Taichi being left all alone.

To be fair, Taichi hid in the men's bathroom after the game and left soon after. Even if Muzusawa's members wanted to cheer him up, I doubt he would have let them do so. He's just that kind of person, always trying to put up a strong face in front of others, keeping everything he's feeling bottled up inside himself until eventually he breaks. It's really difficult for Taichi to rely on other people when it comes to his own problems, probably a result of what his mother taught him.
Nov 22, 2019 11:58 AM
Dec 2018
shanimebib said:
Akkala said:
I don't want (and don't have time and vital energy) to be part of groups that will call me annoying just for liking my favorite character. :(

Interesting when you put it like that. I dunno if there is any community that bashes Harada-sensei! Kitano-sensei's Suihoku society perhaps? (;-_-)/

Gab5 said:
If anything, I have no problem with him losing to Arata for the girl, but he should be written in a way that he is able to move on and actually win something for himself and not be constantly losing all the time, both in the game and for her attention. That just feels too unrealistic to me.

All the time?! I hope someone tells him to be grateful for what he has! That rich kid! I wonder how many times he went to Kyoto thanks to the financial backing of his rich parents! (´꒳`)

TrisEverdeen said:
Will Taichi win the (Masters) battle and Arata win the war (for Chihaya's heart?) I think so...

How dare you! Meijin-title is more important than Chihaya's heart, kono yarou! (ಠ_ಠ)

I will give Taichi Chihaya's heart (even thought it is Chihaya's and her to decide who she wants to give it to) if that is what is required for Arata to become the Meijin! (=_=)

I'm not sure that him being a rich kid who went to Kyoto a few times makes it particularly realistic that he loses at everything Chihaya or Arata related. Eventually anyone would decide that they are better off out of that situation and they would be right to do so.
Nov 22, 2019 1:54 PM

Oct 2017
Love the hype that I feel every time the opnening starts, and the ending it's so overwhelming too!
The scene about Chihaya crying was so touching that I cryed too.
The part when Harata gets better because of his neighbhoor was pretty dissapoint
but on the other hand he is starting to note his hid feelings about Chihaya?

Can't wait next chapter.
-¡Give yourself to me!
Nov 22, 2019 2:56 PM

Dec 2018
Galadriel-san said:
To be fair, Taichi hid in the men's bathroom after the game and left soon after. Even if Muzusawa's members wanted to cheer him up, I doubt he would have let them do so. He's just that kind of person, always trying to put up a strong face in front of others, keeping everything he's feeling bottled up inside himself until eventually he breaks. It's really difficult for Taichi to rely on other people when it comes to his own problems, probably a result of what his mother taught him.

True. I agree that the aftermath scenario reflects the difference between how open they are to receive help. Taichi is too independent and proud to the point of isolation, and Chihaya very dependent to the point of being almost worthless by herself. But accepting other's help also means acknowledging the value of surrounding people's support, such as friends and family, resulting in a stronger connection with them. Your victory is also your supporters victory. (Not that Taichi doesn't value others, but it feels like he himself believes his role is solely to support and not the other way around).

Too bad Taichi puts so much pressure and excessive responsibility on himself. (There are multiple in depth analysis to him after this point, but you know what I think already. I don't wanna turn this a TAT thread)
Nov 22, 2019 8:14 PM

Nov 2007
chiakimagoto said:

I wonder if Sensei will have Arata walk that predestined path so easily. Almost too predictable.

I am not gonna be mean to you! You are gonna delete your posts otherwise. :(

Akkala said:
Galadriel-san said:

Too bad Taichi puts so much pressure and excessive responsibility on himself. (There are multiple in depth analysis to him after this point, but you know what I think already. I don't wanna turn this a TAT thread)

You better not, dear! I will turn it into a CAT! Wait, I thought you are a Harada-sensei fan after checking your profile! O_o

Gab5 said:
shanimebib said:

All the time?! I hope someone tells him to be grateful for what he has! That rich kid! I wonder how many times he went to Kyoto thanks to the financial backing of his rich parents! (´꒳`)

I'm not sure that him being a rich kid who went to Kyoto a few times makes it particularly realistic that he loses at everything Chihaya or Arata related. Eventually anyone would decide that they are better off out of that situation and they would be right to do so.

I see why he is too eager to not tell Chihaya about any of his plans. He never really shares anything with anyone. The first person he ever opened up to was Harada-sensei and that's pretty much it.

Not related to the above discussions but a simple Live Action comparison of one of the dialogues in this episode:

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 22, 2019 9:46 PM

Oct 2012
I am not gonna be mean to you! You are gonna delete your posts otherwise. :(

I wrote beforehand that I was going to delete those posts. I think I made my point then.
Nov 23, 2019 2:12 AM
Apr 2018
Neji said:
littlecrisis said:

Oh, I never said he wasn't a good character. He is well written. I just can't stand him, that's all. xD Partly so because I'm convinced he cares more about himself than about Chihaya - after all, he did threaten to bully her if she stuck by Arata when they were kids, and later he kept her isolated from Arata by withholding his number, and now he's lying to her. That said, Taichi has his good bits & pieces too, but they just don't shine much for me. :/
Sorry for shaming him, had to get it off my chest though. :D

There are couple of items. 1st you are blaming him for things that he did as a kid, which he owned up to. 2nd he is not required to hook up is beloved girl with rival. 3rd about lying is another BS, she was going to find out and she made her choice on her own and so did he. The part that he sacrificed possible fun time with her to improve his Karuta shows his dedication. I also wanted to add one thing that from my perspective Taichi has to earn Chihaya's love step by step, which he does his best to do, which Arata has it by default and completely undeserved (what has he done in years for Chihaya to love him to such level). I love the underdog who puts his all for the cause, but I also think that Chihaya as character doesn't deserve him. She is good looking, but a complete moron, so I myself a little confused on this one. Too bad there are no other good female characters for Taichi

Taichi owned up his mistakes for his childhood but he kept making more even after starting the karuta club. Tried to constantly keep chihaya away from Arata for no reason, didnt even give her arata's number. Even in this season when Arata in a friendly manner asks him for advice for making a karuta club, Taichi again got worked up for no reason.
Arata always considered taichi as friend, but taichi on the other hand because of his insecurities always alienates arata.
The underdog? The rich good looking kid with good grades who has girls gunning for him casually dumps his gf for chasing after chihaya against a humble guy who comes from a middle class poor family who got bullied in his childhood and had to work jobs and who's genuine happiness is to play karuta with his friends (Taichi and Chihaya). Really whos the underdog again?
Arata not only introduced karuta to chihaya, he made her believe she can dream and achieve those dreams when she thought she couldn't do anything by herself. Thats why she has that unstoppable motivation till date. Also everytime she is in doubt who does she look upto? Thats right Arata. He is literally her light.
And just because of his family conditions and Plot he was forced to distance himself from chihaya, does that mean if he would not have helped and supported her like taichi if he could have stayed in tokyo?
Taichi didnt join the karuta club for the passion of karuta in the first place only to win over chihaya, nobody asked him to sacrifice, he is doing for it himself so he can get attention from chihaya.
Only Arata and chihaya have the passion for karuta, taichi never did, Chihaya herself said Taichi never wanted to be meijin.
I do like his character since he is growing now and slowly loving karuta, but he has his flaws and he treats chihaya like some trophy to be won from arata.
Sumire is also a good girl, she is also doing her best , looks after him for gaining his attention and feelings, but taichi is oblivious of that, so taichi is undeserving of sumire now?
Thats why i dont like some of the taichi fanbase literally treat arata like trash and undeserving because of his screentime and distance from chihaya.
Nov 23, 2019 2:37 AM
Apr 2018
Loved this episode.
Chihaya pulling off a great victory. Taichi did really well and actually played for himself for the first time without considering chihaya.
Seeing Chihaya happily tearing up, opening up with her dreams and seeing her efforts finally recognized by people was really emotional, she is really growing to be a potential queen candidate fast.

And then the surprise moment

This is what i like about arata, even though he is calm and shy, he speaks facts.
Chihaya is not a trophy to belong to someone, she is her own person and has her own feelings and I think arata is slowly realizing his feelings as well. That match stirred his emotions.

Also Glad Chihaya decided to go on the trip and experience highschool life stuff. And then Taichi has his own plans, lying and going to practice, leaving chihaya in a mess. But then again i understand he wants to improve for himself after that loss and the words from arata that shook him. He really needs some development.

Good to see some things never change :)

And even arata is struggling with his karuta as well. Glad to see people supporting him and helping him out. Yuu is such one character, loved how she gave arata motivation and cooked for him. She's also adorable. Loved her personality.
Cant wait for next episode.

Mod edit: removed multiple screenshots
BrandonFeb 2, 2020 11:10 PM
Nov 23, 2019 8:37 AM

Nov 2007
Kipo0007 said:

Actually she ran out of herArata battery. So, she is now putting it on charge. :)
Coronavirus.
Nov 23, 2019 5:22 PM
Dec 2018
Kipo0007 said:
Neji said:

There are couple of items. 1st you are blaming him for things that he did as a kid, which he owned up to. 2nd he is not required to hook up is beloved girl with rival. 3rd about lying is another BS, she was going to find out and she made her choice on her own and so did he. The part that he sacrificed possible fun time with her to improve his Karuta shows his dedication. I also wanted to add one thing that from my perspective Taichi has to earn Chihaya's love step by step, which he does his best to do, which Arata has it by default and completely undeserved (what has he done in years for Chihaya to love him to such level). I love the underdog who puts his all for the cause, but I also think that Chihaya as character doesn't deserve him. She is good looking, but a complete moron, so I myself a little confused on this one. Too bad there are no other good female characters for Taichi

Taichi owned up his mistakes for his childhood but he kept making more even after starting the karuta club. Tried to constantly keep chihaya away from Arata for no reason, didnt even give her arata's number. Even in this season when Arata in a friendly manner asks him for advice for making a karuta club, Taichi again got worked up for no reason.
Arata always considered taichi as friend, but taichi on the other hand because of his insecurities always alienates arata.
The underdog? The rich good looking kid with good grades who has girls gunning for him casually dumps his gf for chasing after chihaya against a humble guy who comes from a middle class poor family who got bullied in his childhood and had to work jobs and who's genuine happiness is to play karuta with his friends (Taichi and Chihaya). Really whos the underdog again?
Arata not only introduced karuta to chihaya, he made her believe she can dream and achieve those dreams when she thought she couldn't do anything by herself. Thats why she has that unstoppable motivation till date. Also everytime she is in doubt who does she look upto? Thats right Arata. He is literally her light.
And just because of his family conditions and Plot he was forced to distance himself from chihaya, does that mean if he would not have helped and supported her like taichi if he could have stayed in tokyo?
Taichi didnt join the karuta club for the passion of karuta in the first place only to win over chihaya, nobody asked him to sacrifice, he is doing for it himself so he can get attention from chihaya.
Only Arata and chihaya have the passion for karuta, taichi never did, Chihaya herself said Taichi never wanted to be meijin.
I do like his character since he is growing now and slowly loving karuta, but he has his flaws and he treats chihaya like some trophy to be won from arata.
Sumire is also a good girl, she is also doing her best , looks after him for gaining his attention and feelings, but taichi is oblivious of that, so taichi is undeserving of sumire now?
Thats why i dont like some of the taichi fanbase literally treat arata like trash and undeserving because of his screentime and distance from chihaya.

Actually, in the context of their triangle, he is very much the underdog, both in the game and in the love triangle. He pretty much loses every time. There is no comparison between Taichi and Sumire and Taichi and Chihaya. Arata has no business bringing up the conversation about her being a trophy straight after he lost that match. The amount of time people spend together, and how much they support each other, will always be a big factor in how some people view who is best suited to a person. It's fine if Chihaya prefers Arata, but then she shouldn't be freaking out when Taichi doesn't make the school trip. That is just selfish.
Nov 23, 2019 6:51 PM
Apr 2018
Gab5 said:
Kipo0007 said:

Actually, in the context of their triangle, he is very much the underdog, both in the game and in the love triangle. He pretty much loses every time. There is no comparison between Taichi and Sumire and Taichi and Chihaya. Arata has no business bringing up the conversation about her being a trophy straight after he lost that match. The amount of time people spend together, and how much they support each other, will always be a big factor in how some people view who is best suited to a person. It's fine if Chihaya prefers Arata, but then she shouldn't be freaking out when Taichi doesn't make the school trip. That is just selfish.

He loses in the game because he was not passionate for karuta in the first place, instead of playing for himself he just does it to win over chihaya. i know there's a huge difference in the two, since taichi knows chihaya for a longer period of time , I compared sumire because she is doing the same thing, she joined the club to get close to taichi and supports him as well, as he is doing it for chihaya.

Its not about if its his business or not, Arata spoke his mind, because Taichi always tried to show that he is closer to chihaya just because of the distance, taichi did support her sure and thats a good thing, but that doesnt mean she belongs to anyone because of that. The timing might be wrong after taichi losing that match but he did speak the truth.
Taichi always has given Arata the cold treatment, be it because of chihaya or the rivalry in karuta, when arata always treats him like his friend.
Yea i can understand Chihaya's reaction,she is a karuta maniac and wants to train more too and doesn't want taichi to gain ahead of her, yea that's a little selfish, she should just enjoy the trip since she wanted to experience it.

shanimebib said:
Kipo0007 said:

Actually she ran out of herArata battery. So, she is now putting it on charge. :)

Haha okay as you say :)

Mod edit: merged double posts
BrandonFeb 2, 2020 11:08 PM
Nov 24, 2019 7:32 AM

Jul 2009
Chihaya made her decision, and it was a surprise she decided to go to the school trip. Taichi got a lot to think about next year, so his decision was made thinking about his next year.
Nov 25, 2019 6:06 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
chiakimagoto said:

Ah, Sensei has her little accessories in her bag.....after giving you a Godiva, first quality chocolate, she might just lash you with her little whip, when you where feeling all good and high on the choco.

I mean yes... I'm definitely a TaichixChihaya shipper, but also it seems too predictable if Arata - the op god and person who got everyone into Karuta wins. (I mean haven't read the manga), but this episode seemed to focus a lot on how his break from karuta is now coming to bite him in the butt. Because also friendship powers their game. But also, as they said TAICHI MISSED HIS CHANCE TO GET FRIENDZONED because now he's serious on winning. Not just winning Chihaya but like winning. Period.

Literally the only other outcome I can think of is they don't play each other because of some worldly event (apocalypse, oversleeping, overworking one self from being sick, etc.).

Man... so conflicted. First tie Meijin ever maybe?? Maybe a tie breaker?
Nov 26, 2019 2:07 AM

Apr 2018
I think Taichi is a very likeable character, I can understand people find him annoying ; but all his flaws and weird behaviors sometimes make for a very real character. In some animes you're gonna have to deal with characters like Taichi, with quirks and things they are unable to express, say and do, but more often than not those guys will have something off about them, that's gonna make you dislike the way they were built. Taichi is a quite different story and even though I would be a "team Arata" member, I couldn't help but root for Taichi these past few episodes, even going back somewhere mid-season 2.
Btw Chihaya's fanbase is great, you guys are having really interesting discussions :')
Nov 27, 2019 6:42 AM

Nov 2007
paperminh said:
I think Taichi is a very likeable character, I can understand people find him annoying ; but all his flaws and weird behaviors sometimes make for a very real character. In some animes you're gonna have to deal with characters like Taichi, with quirks and things they are unable to express, say and do, but more often than not those guys will have something off about them, that's gonna make you dislike the way they were built. Taichi is a quite different story and even though I would be a "team Arata" member, I couldn't help but root for Taichi these past few episodes, even going back somewhere mid-season 2.
Btw Chihaya's fanbase is great, you guys are having really interesting discussions :')

Taichi is one of the most real characters in anime. Sure he got a lot of screentime compared to Arata but those screentime were used effectively. Even I sometimes want to see him gun for the Meijin title (but not as much as at the expense of Arata who has given his entire life to become the Meijin).

TeamArata can be happy with this season because this season will mark the start of his character growth. It will make him more human than he was ever shown in the story.
Coronavirus.
Nov 27, 2019 2:29 PM

Oct 2013
Arata asserted Taichi that Chihaya is also someone important for him. So kinda... The gauntlet has been officially thrown down, haha.

Taichi wants to participate so bad. I don't blame him. He lost in the final match with Chihaya knowing that noting ago her skill dropped due to her finger's injury.

Yuu-chan is really a great person and might be a good partner to Arata, not only in playing karuta, but in being a girlfriend as well.

Shinobu's clothes, hahaha. xD But that ending... when current Master came to visit current Queen. Man, I'm hyped about further episodes! :D
Nov 28, 2019 10:50 AM

May 2016
That crying was a bit weird but she was still pretty cute.

Shinobu and that Pajama.
Dec 2, 2019 3:11 AM

Oct 2012
Chihaya's dazing face xD

Nonono Chihaya you're wrong about that
Taichi is doing this for you, in a way

Glad to see Shinobu is the same as always xD
"Signature removed"
Dec 8, 2019 7:37 AM

Dec 2014
welll I was not expecting taichi to do something like this.....wow this show never stops to amaze me
Dec 9, 2019 1:21 PM

Oct 2017
gekkouka said:
I'm getting weird vibes about Sumire potentially ending up with Taichi b/c I get the feeling that it will be Arata x Chihaya (I always end up getting 2nd lead syndrome in love triangles ;___;) Idc if Taichi doesn't end up with Chihaya, I just want my boy to be happy;; he deserves the best. I think a lot of people who criticize Taichi & Taichi supporters for liking him despite the fact that he "oNLy pLayINg kArUta fOR cHihAYA" should really see this episode. You can see the look of determination in his eyes!! He is in it to win it. He is more than just Chihaya's pretty love interest. Side note: Chihaya just doesn't have the emotional capacity to love anyone...she barely understands Taichi despite being his closest friend.

I'd argue against that. Chihaya loves Arata in her own way, and of course she likes Taichi, but not in the way that Taichi likes her I don't think.

But more importantly, they're teenagers. Technically none of them truly have the emotional capacity to love in a mature/adult way that can last longer than their high school and/or college lives. It will take some personal growth and development for them to get there. Chihaya is dense, but let's not pretend Taichi is somehow much older than she is or super emotionally mature. None of them are even 25 yet, lol, the general age at which our brains have more or less fully matured into an adult human brain.

Anyway, I still like Taichi although I'm not Team Taichi, so to speak. Having read the manga I know how far he goes and I love his development as a character and as a karuta player. I don't know if he'll end up with anyone but I'd rather Chihaya ended up with Arata... assuming it lasts. Either way I'll be happy with the final outcome as long as the author writes it in a way that feels natural and not forced.
Dec 11, 2019 6:19 AM

Dec 2014
hmmm chihaya is truly feeling it
Dec 17, 2019 2:38 PM
Mar 2017
This episode was very moving, many emotions after an intense encounter between two friends and teammates.

The part where Chihaya's mother arrives and she starts crying exposing all her emotions and worries was too adorable, Chihaya decides to attend the school trip, since her goal is to be a teacher in the future, but still felt like this decision oppresses Chihaya's thoughts, those tears and that cry are proof of that.
Whatever emotion Chihaya has, she looks beautiful.

The excursion begins and Chihaya is in a very good mood, but the news of Taichi not attending the excursion distracts her, although it is quite obvious that the real reason for Taichi's absence is because he will attend the tournament and this to Chihaya falls like a bucket of cold water.
I really love how Kana encourages Taichi's relationship with Chihaya, but going back to the topic, Chihaya is frustrated because Taichi went to the tournament but Tsutomu tells her the real reason behind Taichi's decision and this ends up distracting Chihaya.

Arata also seems to have his head in the clouds, he is not giving his full potential as usual and what he discussed with Taichi still haunts and bothers him, but finally he regains his composure and now he is ready to compete and win, but it will not be easy, since there is many powerful opponents, among them Taichi.
Dec 28, 2019 3:49 PM

Mar 2012
I hate that Taichi lost but love that he's finally living and making decisions for himself. I hope he grows out of this puppy love for Chihaya.

So Arata finally "noticed" Chihaya in a different light and ignored the literal girl next door again. It still doesn't feel like an actual love triangle to me but can be considered one now that Arata is actually participating in it.
Jan 1, 2020 3:42 AM

May 2017
Wow incredible episode. one of the best for sure.
Feb 2, 2020 12:20 AM

May 2010
Chihaya is celebrating a victory over soemone who has been exhausted.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 5, 2020 7:42 PM

Apr 2016
As expected, Chihaya won. Though Taichi put up a hell of a fight! Mmm a confrontation between Arata and Taichi, and it's about Chihaya! Feelings are up in the air.

Everyone's acting totally different now that the Yoshino tournament is over. Even Arata was wavering for a bit there.
May 6, 2020 12:05 PM
Feb 2016
Would be nice if they showed more of the match. I didn't really care much for the excursion or the first matches of the current tournament. Chihaya's reason for not going to the qualification tournament is pretty weak,but atleast she won't be able to distract Taichi so all is well.

I remember Taichi's isolation being already addressed in season 2 when they mentioned that he went on his own to tournaments and didn't want anyone around to watch and then realizing that he shouldn't be embarrassed about losing anymore,but that apparently never happened because he did the same thing after the chihaya match and skipped the school trip for the qualifications. Seems like quite the glaring flaw too me atleast.
Sep 5, 2020 10:35 AM

Jan 2019
Ugh, I wanted Taichi to win even if it was obviously not going to happen. I don't know, I fee like this entire competition showed a better development for Taichi than for Chihaya.

Seriously, Arata is an annoying character. Being such a good karuta player, doesn't he knows that it wasn't the best moment to praise Chihaya's ability or talk about how "she wasn't anyone's"?

I'm also a little annoyed at how everyone went to congratulate Chihaya and no one except Sumire went to where Taichi was, not even Chihaya. Later she asks herself why would he go to the match instead of doing what she would expect of him lol.
Feb 8, 2021 9:14 AM

Nov 2019
I wanted Taichi to win, anyway this was a good push to believe in himself and dream big.
By the way I'm Team Taichi ❤️ and I like Arata too.
Mar 26, 2021 11:02 PM

Aug 2018
This...it gets complicated, very good episode.
Apr 17, 2021 6:21 AM

Aug 2015
Very nice performance of Chihaya's seiyuu when she expresses her emotions. I am very happy for her, I was really moved.

"Chihaya does not belong to anyone"
I think Arata is much more mature about Chihaya. And personally Chihaya x Arata is my favorite ship since the beginning of the series, even if I don't feel like I'm in the majority.

I expected Taichi not to come to the school trip, following his discussion with Arata and his defeat against Chihaya. But since he wants to go to medical school, I understand very well that he thinks he won't have time for karuta in the next few years. I feel sad, but I really understand how he feels.

Arata seems to have lost his motivation a bit, but I guess he will come back to us soon.
May 4, 2021 2:31 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Only episode 7 but I’m already burnt out- in a good way, though.

And maybe it was because it was dark but DANG that was some nice BICYCLE CGI

With all this rivalry and tension between the 3 I’m just hoping for a real nice relieving and wholesome moment later down the line

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 10, 2021 6:03 AM

Nov 2009
Argh, this reminded me just how much of an insensitive dirtbag Wataya is, kicking his rivial when said rival is already down. This type of personality really is the worst..
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jul 14, 2021 4:47 PM

Jul 2015
I'm highly confident in Arata being wrong with his 'Chihaya doesn't belong to anyone' as its pretty clear that Chihaya belongs to karuta. So far we haven't seen much of Suo, so I kinda hope we get to see more of the worst possible person to have as the current karuta master

Sep 8, 2021 7:17 AM

Apr 2021
all i need to say is i cried during this episode, multiple times
i wish i was a cloud
Oct 5, 2021 10:57 AM

Feb 2019
Man, Taichi lost. When the episode began, I was putting my bet on Taichi. But it was Chihaya. It was so hard to choose between the two ^^

Great emotional moment there with Chihaya.

But it really hurts to see the pain Taichi's feeling.

But man, Taichi keeps pushing forward, breaking walls if he has to. After that defeat, he's still practicing.

Also, Yuu is cute! I'm hoping for Arata x Yuu.
Dec 29, 2021 1:08 PM
May 2018
The only reason I love Taichis character is bcs I can totally relate to him.I had a girl I really wanted to date and make her mine. We both were in same coaching class preparing for our medical exams. I always had it in my heart that I will confess to her only when I rank higher than her in any of the national level mock exams. Alas I always remained behind her by 20-30 ranks. Even in the end we went to different medical College. I feel the frustration after giving ur all and still not able to achieve the real aim. His aim wasn't winning the tournament rather winning against chihaya
I don't want that kind of fate for my boi Taichi. Keep pushing ahead my boi
Dec 29, 2021 1:36 PM
May 2018
sweetangie said:

Arata's words to Taichi was awesome, well said Arata: "Chihaya belongs to no one" got me hyper of excitement definitely signs of jealously jumping in: its Arata declaration war to Taichi now it's clear of Arata's doubts of thinking they were a couple: the war IT'S ON!!!!

can u explain how is that sentence a declaration of war pls
Jan 4, 2022 3:05 AM

Oct 2012
@Darth_InVader

He was jealous when he went to see Taichi...and basically said, Chihaya isn't yours, so I'm making a move.
May 8, 2022 5:15 PM
Jul 2013
Big episode. I hoped Taichi could win with Chihaya for once, but oh well.
Then I thought he was gonna give up on qualifiers and go on that trip, since he doesn't stand a real chance to win anyway. Turned out it was Chihaya who gave up the qualifiers to make some memories. I got screwed over twice. And I'm not even gonna comment on Arata.
Nov 23, 2022 8:34 AM
Apr 2018
Chihaya won... complete BS lol. Taichi was on a massive winning streak (also complete bs lol) defeated enemies that would have trashed Chihaya. Actually forget my last two sentences... these two in the finals is just pure shit in the first place. They've won too many games now back to back... from "hard work" sigh lame.

In under what 3-6 months, they gone from getting defeated by B tier players to taking on the best of the best. Even though Chihaya got utterly destroyed by the queen not too long ago (with or without the damaged finger). I'm sorry I just don't buy it.
Feb 20, 2023 10:39 PM
Nov 2020
I'm so impressed with the animations! Also, Yuu is so good to Wataya. Rooting for her. Also also, Shinobu-chans attire is so cute XD
Apr 15, 2023 8:34 AM

Jul 2016
Went from "He's faking the fever for the qualifiers, isn't he?" to "Oh, guess Taichi wouldn't play that dirty" to "Nevermind". Kinda sucks that Chihaya can't even enjoy the trip anymore after finding out lol

Taichi stepped up his karuta game and now Arata's stepping up his Chihaya game. Lots of pieces being moved rn.
Jul 21, 2023 11:54 AM
May 2011
Chihaya winning this way by given a lee-way from skipping the semifinals was utter BS she had not won any tournament in A rank and her first win is pretty much handed to her while Taichi fought every single match. Hand's already healed infact got even better and she was always the better player amongst the 2 of them winning this way really soured on me.

Chihaya winning here makes 0 sense.

Her being blown away by Taichi who was always hindered by various hindrance (and his own mindset before) would make her grow and dig deep, someone who she thought she knew all about (even though she only looks at the surface of everything) and who just debuted in his first individual A rank tournament.

How long more does the author want to make Taichi the one to chase after her while she looks elsewhere, when author could've made it a turn around and make her start noticing things and improve both as a player and a person and chase after Taichi as well. Bull fucking shit.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» If you want to continue with the manga after watching

NiQ1 - Feb 21, 2023

19 by NiQ1 »»
Mar 21, 2:01 AM

» Chihayafuru 4

Kaguyachinchin - Nov 21, 2020

5 by Knighthammer619 »»
Mar 17, 9:43 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2020

148 by tozeos »»
Jan 9, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - Jan 14, 2020

126 by realfifi »»
Dec 18, 2023 2:21 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2019

105 by Katsu-kun »»
Aug 15, 2023 4:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.