Forum Settings
Forums
#1
Nov 18, 11:16 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 238
I'm talking specifically about a true legit yandere. The only anime I know thus far that has a real yandere is Yuno from Mirai Nikki (Future Diary). If you look at tsunderes, they are pretty much everywhere, but the same doesn't apply to yandere. So really, how did they become if thing if they barely exist?

The reason why I ask is because I was hunting for more anime with yandere, but honestly I couldn't find any. Lots of articles claim characters like Kurumi from Date a Live, or Rena from Higurashi to be yanderes, but honestly they are not. As the description of a yandere claims for the character to be obsessive. Neither Kurumi or Rena are obsessive at all.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Seems people are misunderstanding my question. I'm not asking "Why would people enjoy yanderes?". I'm asking How is it a trope when tsunderes have like 40+ to enjoy the trope from, but yanderes only having like 2-4 animes?. How is it that 1 anime (being Mirai Nikki) was enough to make it a trope? Now that one enjoys the trope, they almost have no sources to enjoy it from... makes you wonder how is it a thing to begin with if there is almost no anime that has it.
Modified by Tomas_Waifu, Nov 20, 12:14 AM
 
#2
Nov 18, 11:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 26032
Pretty sure blood effect is not glorified in anime so a comedy where they stab each other would be quite silly and redundant to animate.

Well if there's a kurumi date a live the animation it would be a must watch for me. Can't be bothered to watch a main male that I don't like his personality.

I think there was a case posted where a female japanese girl slashed her boyfriend in mal current event. It's scary and exciting because for me it sounds like japanese girl don't mess around with love. lol

for more clarity check out happy sugar life.
Modified by hazecloud, Nov 19, 6:03 AM
 
#3
Nov 19, 2:01 AM

Online
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1861
These are the ones I know about.

Confirmed yandere characters:

Fuyou Kaede (shuffle)
Katsura Kotonoha (School days)
Lucy (Elfen Lied)
Gasai Yuno (Mirai Nikki)
Minase Yuka (11 eyes)
Konosaka Kirino (Gift: Eternal Rainbow)
Mikasa Ackerman (Shingeki no Kyoujin)

Unconfirmed:

Apparently "Sonozaki Mion" but that is subjective.
Apparently "Hiyama Akane" though that is up to your interpretation of the archetype.
Kawai Ameri (Tayutama) its up to you.
 
#4
Nov 19, 2:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1589
I thought all yandere meant was they love you so much they'll kill you so no one else can have you.
Is there more to it than that?
 
#5
Nov 19, 2:32 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 238
Setsuei said:
I thought all yandere meant was they love you so much they'll kill you so no one else can have you.
Is there more to it than that?

Okay so let's go with that description then. How often enough do you see that in anime? I mean the term "yandere" exists, when yanderes themselves almost don't exist? My discussion isn't about what they are, but more like, where are they? :')
 
#6
Nov 19, 2:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1589
Tomas_Waifu said:
Setsuei said:
I thought all yandere meant was they love you so much they'll kill you so no one else can have you.
Is there more to it than that?

Okay so let's go with that description then. How often enough do you see that in anime? I mean the term "yandere" exists, when yanderes themselves almost don't exist? My discussion isn't about what they are, but more like, where are they? :')

I've seen a few that might qualify as one...
I think Akane Hiyama from Renai Boukun qualifies.
 
#7
Nov 19, 2:54 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 238
zieek said:
These are the ones I know about.



Fuyou Kaede (shuffle) - I wanted to read the VN for this one. I'll check it out. Thanks

Katsura Kotonoha (School days) - I loved this anime a lot. I guess you could consider her a yandere, but you only really get to see it towards the end of the anime.

Gasai Yuno (Mirai Nikki) - Okay this one is the only one I've seen thus far that I remember having a yandere in it.

Lucy (Elfen Lied) - I've watched this anime around 9 years ago. I do remember Lucy having a split personality type of thing. Can't remember if there were much yandere aspects (like in an obsessive way). Might need to rewatch.


Minase Yuka (11 eyes), Konosaka Kirino (Gift: Eternal Rainbow)
I've watched both of these many years ago. I do remember both these girls being very obsessive. Though I can't quite remember what their destructive behaviour was. Might need to recheck these ones too.

Mikasa Ackerman (Shingeki no Kyoujin) - Hmm... I do quite get how she would be considered a yandere, but not exactly used in a romantic aspect.

So with that being said, I guess I have seen more yandere characters than I thought, but forgot some of them lol... however, I'm still rather unsure how it became a "known trend" in anime that it even has its own term. I mean if you look at tsunderes, you see them in animes like every new season. Yanderes... almost never in seasonal anime. That's actually the part I'm trying to understand.
 
#8
Nov 19, 10:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 2151
As to why. Idk, why is tsundere a thing? Because easy affection for the MC without him doing anything. Thats basically the "dream" for unsocial weebs, same reason why childhood friend, step sister etc are so common.
Basically you want to create a situation where the MC is the subject of interest of girls/guys without him being a special person, so you can insert yourself into this "dream" scenario easier. They like to skip the "meeting someone and getting to know her" phase straight to the "potential partner".

A good question is how. Its pretty "new". I know Shuffle and School Days are often listed, Higurashi and Elfen Lied as well. But I think the one which made yandere the big thing it is can be no other than Mirai Nikki. Yuno is and will always be the Yandere queen. There is that common misconception that yandere means crazy in love to the point they would rather kill you than anyone else having you, but its really the "keeping everyone else away from you" by killing them or just driving them away (which is actually a pretty common thing irl)

oof gotta go, anyway check Happy Sugar Life for more Yuno content
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
 
#9
Nov 19, 11:04 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 12
There is a series called "love note" basically rip off of death note but there is a yendere there
As for how they came into being i belive that god....messed up
 
Nov 19, 3:25 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 31666
Idk. I'm still undecided whether being a yandere or liking a yandere is the more worrisome mental illness :>.

Comander-07 said:
As to why. Idk, why is tsundere a thing? Because easy affection for the MC without him doing anything. Thats basically the "dream" for unsocial weebs, same reason why childhood friend, step sister etc are so common.
Basically you want to create a situation where the MC is the subject of interest of girls/guys without him being a special person, so you can insert yourself into this "dream" scenario easier. They like to skip the "meeting someone and getting to know her" phase straight to the "potential partner".


That hypothesis doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

1. Tsunderes are tsunderes because they barely ever show their affection and instead there is often violence or harsh words towards their love interest involved, at least for the vast majority of interactions. How is that easy affection? Tsunderes, and Yanderes are difficult and often annoying or even hurtful by definition. It's why I don't like them, unlike derederes.

2. Step sisters or childhood friends are just descriptive terms for relationships between characters. They do not imply affection in any way, unlike the -dere archetypes. Sure, in certain genres like harems they are often combined with dere archetypes, but those -dere traits are not inherently related to step sisters or childhood friends except maybe if you never watch anything aside from harems.

3. The whole easy affection wish fulfilment aspect is an element you can paste over any existing character(s). You don't need any specific archetype or relationship between the characters to write a situation like that. In the reverse that also means that any given archetype does not have to come with 'easy' affection and if they do it's more or less incidental. Whether the MC has to earn the affection or not is related to the writing of any given show, but not to the archetypes that show uses. Those are way more general than that and just describe personality traits (in case of the deres) or types or character relationships (in the case of step sisters or childhood friends). If or why they like the MC is an element that can vary a lot.

Aesthetic value can be recognized or experienced, but it cannot be conveyed to those who are incapable of grasping its sensations and perceptions. To quarrel on its behalf is always a blunder.
 
Nov 19, 3:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 98
for me, yanderes were always a thing but Yuno (mirai nikki) really got the whole community going bat shit over it
 
Nov 19, 3:36 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 266
Tomas_Waifu said:
I'm talking specifically about a true legit yandere. The only anime I know thus far that has a real yandere is Yuno from Mirai Nikki (Future Diary). If you look at tsunderes, they are pretty much everywhere, but the same doesn't apply to yandere. So really, how did they become if thing if they barely exist?

The reason why I ask is because I was hunting for more anime with yandere, but honestly I couldn't find any. Lots of articles claim characters like Kurumi from Date a Live, or Rena from Higurashi to be yanderes, but honestly they are not. As the description of a yandere claims for the character to be obsessive. Neither Kurumi or Rena are obsessive at all.

Thoughts?
Dunno. The only thing I know is that, indeed, yanderes got sort-of mainstream thanks to Mirai Nikki, Yandere Simulator helped too, but to lesser extent. Have a nice day comrade!


Decide once every certain number of years which members of the ruling class will oppress and crush the people in parliament: this is the true essence of bourgeois parliamentarism, not only in the constitutional parliamentary monarchies but in the most democratic republics
- The State and Revolution (September 1917), Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov "Lenin".
 
Nov 19, 3:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 60
Mirai Nikki. That show made it popular. I still have no idea how this type of dere become a thing. IRL yandere would be considered as psychopath.
 
Nov 19, 4:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 259
The most Yandere character I've ever come across was the main female in Uba which is an old-school hentai. The b*tch kills her own daughter who liked the main guy and keeps him in her dungeon lol
 
Nov 19, 4:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1589
NamikazeHime said:
Mirai Nikki. That show made it popular. I still have no idea how this type of dere become a thing. IRL yandere would be considered as psychopath.

I don't even want to begin to understand the mind of someone who'd be into that kind of thing IRL....
 
Nov 19, 4:39 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 280
yandere are rare to find and good yandere are almost impossible to find .
but hey , atleast we have Yuno she is the perfect yandere (she literally made me love an anime i wasn't supposed to like .)
 
Nov 19, 4:51 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 280
Pullman said:
Idk. I'm still undecided whether being a yandere or liking a yandere is the more worrisome mental illness :>.

Comander-07 said:
As to why. Idk, why is tsundere a thing? Because easy affection for the MC without him doing anything. Thats basically the "dream" for unsocial weebs, same reason why childhood friend, step sister etc are so common.
Basically you want to create a situation where the MC is the subject of interest of girls/guys without him being a special person, so you can insert yourself into this "dream" scenario easier. They like to skip the "meeting someone and getting to know her" phase straight to the "potential partner".


That hypothesis doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

1. Tsunderes are tsunderes because they barely ever show their affection and instead there is often violence or harsh words towards their love interest involved, at least for the vast majority of interactions. How is that easy affection? Tsunderes, and Yanderes are difficult and often annoying or even hurtful by definition. It's why I don't like them, unlike derederes.

2. Step sisters or childhood friends are just descriptive terms for relationships between characters. They do not imply affection in any way, unlike the -dere archetypes. Sure, in certain genres like harems they are often combined with dere archetypes, but those -dere traits are not inherently related to step sisters or childhood friends except maybe if you never watch anything aside from harems.

3. The whole easy affection wish fulfilment aspect is an element you can paste over any existing character(s). You don't need any specific archetype or relationship between the characters to write a situation like that. In the reverse that also means that any given archetype does not have to come with 'easy' affection and if they do it's more or less incidental. Whether the MC has to earn the affection or not is related to the writing of any given show, but not to the archetypes that show uses. Those are way more general than that and just describe personality traits (in case of the deres) or types or character relationships (in the case of step sisters or childhood friends). If or why they like the MC is an element that can vary a lot.


liking a yandere is fine it doesn't mean you want your wife/girlfriend to be a yandere . more importantly it means that you can appreciat unique characters consedring yandere are really hard to find compared to tsundere or imouto characters
it just mean that yandere character was perfect for that certain anime and did her job in the story.
for example yuno character was perfect for me in mirai nikki and i wouldn't like that anime without Yuno ,but hell no i don't want to see i yandere in my life.

please forgive my bad english .
 
Nov 19, 4:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 477
Just to be clear, there is nothing wrong with liking some character archetypes in anime. I can't help but post this after reading some posts in this topic. lol
I agree that this type of behavior shouldn't be encouraged IRL of course. Anime and real life are two different things. I like yanderes in anime, but I don't want people like the IRL yandere girl going near me or anyone else that's for sure. The fact that people are in love with her is disturbing but maybe they're just joking, I don't know. I hope at least.
Modified by Nubiellee, Nov 19, 5:07 PM
 
Nov 19, 5:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4445
I mean...I think the idea is simple? People noticed a trend in female characters who are creepily obsessed with someone they're in love with?
But yeah you're right, Rena and Kurumi aren't yanderes. While yes, they are crazy, they're not crazy over the guy they're in love with.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days



 
Nov 19, 5:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 2151
Pullman said:
Idk. I'm still undecided whether being a yandere or liking a yandere is the more worrisome mental illness :>.

Comander-07 said:
As to why. Idk, why is tsundere a thing? Because easy affection for the MC without him doing anything. Thats basically the "dream" for unsocial weebs, same reason why childhood friend, step sister etc are so common.
Basically you want to create a situation where the MC is the subject of interest of girls/guys without him being a special person, so you can insert yourself into this "dream" scenario easier. They like to skip the "meeting someone and getting to know her" phase straight to the "potential partner".


That hypothesis doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

1. Tsunderes are tsunderes because they barely ever show their affection and instead there is often violence or harsh words towards their love interest involved, at least for the vast majority of interactions. How is that easy affection? Tsunderes, and Yanderes are difficult and often annoying or even hurtful by definition. It's why I don't like them, unlike derederes.

2. Step sisters or childhood friends are just descriptive terms for relationships between characters. They do not imply affection in any way, unlike the -dere archetypes. Sure, in certain genres like harems they are often combined with dere archetypes, but those -dere traits are not inherently related to step sisters or childhood friends except maybe if you never watch anything aside from harems.

3. The whole easy affection wish fulfilment aspect is an element you can paste over any existing character(s). You don't need any specific archetype or relationship between the characters to write a situation like that. In the reverse that also means that any given archetype does not have to come with 'easy' affection and if they do it's more or less incidental. Whether the MC has to earn the affection or not is related to the writing of any given show, but not to the archetypes that show uses. Those are way more general than that and just describe personality traits (in case of the deres) or types or character relationships (in the case of step sisters or childhood friends). If or why they like the MC is an element that can vary a lot.
Yeah that wasnt directly linked to tsunderes, my bad. Should have structured that better. What I meant to say was, its a -dere like any other.

2- Also, I simply meant that yandere skips the "going out to actually interact with women" part, which is also skipped when you have the childhood friend or (step) sister type, or the "guy gets thrown in the same room as girl" stuff which was common before the days of isekai, I mostly remember that from the magical highschool battle-tournament anime.

3- the showing affection part is just way more easily skipped when you have a setup where they are already somehow connected. Thats why its so common, because its easier/lazier to write. Of course you can get the point across with more unique settings, but if the anime isnt romance focused thats not really necessary.

The yandere part is popular because the subject of interest doesnt need to do anything, he doesnt even need to be likeable.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
 
Nov 19, 6:24 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 69
I would like to share my thoughts on this.

Upon searching for the exact meaning of this genre I could find that:
The term “Yandere” in anime is generally defined as a particular character type. It means a character (often female) with an unhealthy romantic obsession that, in extreme cases, can lead to the murder of romantic rivals, threats, and even the person that the yandere is in love with.

Let's go over it in a logical manner:

1. So, when did Yandere become a thing?
I believe this became a thing when the community got bored with the regular stuff. They no longer took interest in legit romantic stories & were more inclined to find something more extreme.

2. So, why the hell did this even happen?
The thirst for extremeness in romance could not be satisfied by the tsundere or any other "dere" (is that even a thing?) genre (including all the different types of "coitus" if you know what I mean).That's when people thought, "why not make the people obsessed with love? We've already had them obsessed with power or money before." I guess that's what anime is all about, realizing your fantasies. I guess that's how this whole Yandere thing came to the formation.

3. So, Is there a problem with it?
In this case, I can't help but agree with @Nubiellee. As she rightly pointed it out, there is nothing wrong with liking a particular character or characters. Don't judge anybody, everyone has different tastes. Some of the people like Yamcha in DBZ, i don't judge :')
But, I'd go bat-shit crazy & run if I find someone like that in real life. That's just too extreme & shouldn't be true!

 
Nov 19, 7:13 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 56
RealTheAbsurdist said:
I mean...I think the idea is simple? People noticed a trend in female characters who are creepily obsessed with someone they're in love with?
But yeah you're right, Rena and Kurumi aren't yanderes. While yes, they are crazy, they're not crazy over the guy they're in love with.

I agree that Kurumi is not a yandere but I disagree that she is crazy. Kurumi is very selfish, manipulative, and obsessive but she is that way because she has a big goal to reach. Her selfishness and obsession causes her to manipulate and kill people, not craze. I'm also very selfish and manipulate others for my own gain sometimes and having that in common is why I like her so much. She's also attractive and I like it when she says "ara ara."
 
Nov 19, 7:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 2449
Setsuei said:
I thought all yandere meant was they love you so much they'll kill you so no one else can have you.
Is there more to it than that?
Or others, or themselves.

A "yandere" in the broadest sense is a love interest that is murderous in some way. "obsessive" is not a requirement, just a trait that often comes with it. If these commonly cited traits are taken as requirements then tundere are also a lot rarer. Characters like Misaki Ayuzawa or Ryuunosuke akasaka would no longer be "tundere" because they're never actually physically violent with their love interest.

And yes, there are quite a few yandere characters.

https://www.animeimpulse.com/blog/2019/1/25/top-30-yandere-characters-in-anime

This list does not even include many of my favorites which are quite popular: Rin Kokonoe and Masiro Siina. I would not include Levi though since Levi is just violent and murderous, but not a love interest.

For it to be a yandere, a requirement is that the murderous nature stem from the love; he must murder out of love. Mikasa definitely qualifies, showing a clear inclination to murder whoever repræsents a threat to Eren.

Ayase I've never been so sure of; Ayase definitely plays on the yandere trope, but it's more that Kyousuke thinks that he is a yandere due to constant misunderstandings between them that makes him think that Ayase has murderous tendencies that he does not have.
Modified by Sphinxter, Nov 19, 7:38 PM


It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
 
Nov 19, 7:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1589
Sphinxter said:
Setsuei said:
I thought all yandere meant was they love you so much they'll kill you so no one else can have you.
Is there more to it than that?
Or others, or themselves.

A "yandere" in the broadest sense is a love interest that is murderous in some way. "obsessive" is not a requirement, just a trait that often comes with it. If these commonly cited traits are taken as requirements then tundere are also a lot rarer. Characters like Misaki Ayuzawa or Ryuunosuke akasaka would no longer be "tundere" because they're never actually physically violent with their love interest.

And yes, there are quite a few yandere characters.

https://www.animeimpulse.com/blog/2019/1/25/top-30-yandere-characters-in-anime

This list does not even include many of my favorites which are quite popular: Rin Kokonoe and Masiro Siina. I would not include Levi though since Levi is just violent and murderous, but not a love interest.

For it to be a yandere, a requirement is that the murderous nature stem from the love; he must murder out of love. Mikasa definitely qualifies, showing a clear inclination to murder whoever repræsents a threat to Eren.

Ayase I've never been so sure of; Ayase definitely plays on the yandere trope, but it's more that Kyousuke thinks that he is a yandere due to constant misunderstandings between them that makes him think that Ayase has murderous tendencies that he does not have.

Ok..I'll admit I wasn't expecting some of those characters to appear on that list.
Never crossed my mind to consider Anna Nishikinomiya or Revy as yandere.
 
Nov 19, 7:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 1031
people have really bad taste and more and more of them started liking and consuming this stuff thus causing mass destruction to the earth
 
Nov 19, 8:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 2449
Setsuei said:
Sphinxter said:
Or others, or themselves.

A "yandere" in the broadest sense is a love interest that is murderous in some way. "obsessive" is not a requirement, just a trait that often comes with it. If these commonly cited traits are taken as requirements then tundere are also a lot rarer. Characters like Misaki Ayuzawa or Ryuunosuke akasaka would no longer be "tundere" because they're never actually physically violent with their love interest.

And yes, there are quite a few yandere characters.

https://www.animeimpulse.com/blog/2019/1/25/top-30-yandere-characters-in-anime

This list does not even include many of my favorites which are quite popular: Rin Kokonoe and Masiro Siina. I would not include Levi though since Levi is just violent and murderous, but not a love interest.

For it to be a yandere, a requirement is that the murderous nature stem from the love; he must murder out of love. Mikasa definitely qualifies, showing a clear inclination to murder whoever repræsents a threat to Eren.

Ayase I've never been so sure of; Ayase definitely plays on the yandere trope, but it's more that Kyousuke thinks that he is a yandere due to constant misunderstandings between them that makes him think that Ayase has murderous tendencies that he does not have.

Ok..I'll admit I wasn't expecting some of those characters to appear on that list.
Never crossed my mind to consider Anna Nishikinomiya or Revy as yandere.
Never heard of those two, but there seem to be quite a few characters that don't get classified as what they should because they're not marketed as that.

In particular, I rarely see Eren Jäger called either a tundere or a trap? Clearly he is both, but because the entire marketing campaign is not "Look guys, Eren is a trap!"; it's frequently forgotten. Even though the fan-base loves to talk about how Eren looks like a girl now that his hair is long and he's shaven, they still don't use the word "trap" very often. And instead of "tundere" they just say "hot-head".

Edit: also: Edward Elric almost never gets called a tundere towards Winnie, but this is such a quintessential tundere in every way: constantly angry at Winnie and has a really hard time admitting his feelings and constantly makes excuses.
Modified by Sphinxter, Nov 19, 8:17 PM


It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
 
Nov 19, 8:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1589
Sphinxter said:
Setsuei said:

Ok..I'll admit I wasn't expecting some of those characters to appear on that list.
Never crossed my mind to consider Anna Nishikinomiya or Revy as yandere.
Never heard of those two, but there seem to be quite a few characters that don't get classified as what they should because they're not marketed as that.

In particular, I rarely see Eren Jäger called either a tundere or a trap? Clearly he is both, but because the entire marketing campaign is not "Look guys, Eren is a trap!"; it's frequently forgotten. Even though the fan-base loves to talk about how Eren looks like a girl now that his hair is long and he's shaven, they still don't use the word "trap" very often. And instead of "tundere" they just say "hot-head".

Edit: also: Edward Elric almost never gets called a tundere towards Winnie, but this is such a quintessential tundere in every way: constantly angry at Winnie and has a really hard time admitting his feelings and constantly makes excuses.

Sphinxter said:
Setsuei said:

Ok..I'll admit I wasn't expecting some of those characters to appear on that list.
Never crossed my mind to consider Anna Nishikinomiya or Revy as yandere.
Never heard of those two, but there seem to be quite a few characters that don't get classified as what they should because they're not marketed as that.

In particular, I rarely see Eren Jäger called either a tundere or a trap? Clearly he is both, but because the entire marketing campaign is not "Look guys, Eren is a trap!"; it's frequently forgotten. Even though the fan-base loves to talk about how Eren looks like a girl now that his hair is long and he's shaven, they still don't use the word "trap" very often. And instead of "tundere" they just say "hot-head".

Edit: also: Edward Elric almost never gets called a tundere towards Winnie, but this is such a quintessential tundere in every way: constantly angry at Winnie and has a really hard time admitting his feelings and constantly makes excuses.

I'll be honest, I've never considered Eren as either of those myself. I completely agree with Edward falling into that category though.
 
Nov 19, 8:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 2449
Setsuei said:
Sphinxter said:
Never heard of those two, but there seem to be quite a few characters that don't get classified as what they should because they're not marketed as that.

In particular, I rarely see Eren Jäger called either a tundere or a trap? Clearly he is both, but because the entire marketing campaign is not "Look guys, Eren is a trap!"; it's frequently forgotten. Even though the fan-base loves to talk about how Eren looks like a girl now that his hair is long and he's shaven, they still don't use the word "trap" very often. And instead of "tundere" they just say "hot-head".

Edit: also: Edward Elric almost never gets called a tundere towards Winnie, but this is such a quintessential tundere in every way: constantly angry at Winnie and has a really hard time admitting his feelings and constantly makes excuses.

Sphinxter said:
Never heard of those two, but there seem to be quite a few characters that don't get classified as what they should because they're not marketed as that.

In particular, I rarely see Eren Jäger called either a tundere or a trap? Clearly he is both, but because the entire marketing campaign is not "Look guys, Eren is a trap!"; it's frequently forgotten. Even though the fan-base loves to talk about how Eren looks like a girl now that his hair is long and he's shaven, they still don't use the word "trap" very often. And instead of "tundere" they just say "hot-head".

Edit: also: Edward Elric almost never gets called a tundere towards Winnie, but this is such a quintessential tundere in every way: constantly angry at Winnie and has a really hard time admitting his feelings and constantly makes excuses.

I'll be honest, I've never considered Eren as either of those myself. I completely agree with Edward falling into that category though.
Why would Eren not be a trap or a tundere?



Dude looks like a girl nowadays, and the fan-base loves to point this out, but the word "trap" is never used.


It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
 
Nov 19, 8:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1589
Sphinxter said:
Setsuei said:


I'll be honest, I've never considered Eren as either of those myself. I completely agree with Edward falling into that category though.
Why would Eren not be a trap or a tundere?



Dude looks like a girl nowadays, and the fan-base loves to point this out, but the word "trap" is never used.

From what I gather a trap is a character that the viewers and other characters mistake for being the opposite gender because their outward appearance greatly resembles that gender. Dude may have longer hair, but i can't see anyone completely mistaking him as a girl just for that.
Modified by Setsuei, Nov 19, 8:45 PM
 
Nov 19, 9:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 2449
Setsuei said:
Sphinxter said:
Why would Eren not be a trap or a tundere?



Dude looks like a girl nowadays, and the fan-base loves to point this out, but the word "trap" is never used.

From what I gather a trap is a character that the viewers and other characters mistake for being the opposite gender because their outward appearance greatly resembles that gender. Dude may have longer hair, but i can't see anyone completely mistaking him as a girl just for that.
And it's not just the hair; it's the face as well.

From that picture, surely most would assume that that is a female character.

Same for Misaka, a large part of the fan-base says he looks like a male, thence obtaining the nickname "mankasa" — but "trap" is never a word used.


It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
 
Nov 19, 9:36 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1589
Sphinxter said:
Setsuei said:

From what I gather a trap is a character that the viewers and other characters mistake for being the opposite gender because their outward appearance greatly resembles that gender. Dude may have longer hair, but i can't see anyone completely mistaking him as a girl just for that.
And it's not just the hair; it's the face as well.

From that picture, surely most would assume that that is a female character.

Same for Misaka, a large part of the fan-base says he looks like a male, thence obtaining the nickname "mankasa" — but "trap" is never a word used.

I don't know what to say..Fans are pretty fickle when it comes to who qualifies as what. That's why we still get debates over the exact definition of what a loli is. I just try to go with whatever seems like the general rule is for these kinds of things.
 
Nov 19, 9:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 2449
Setsuei said:
Sphinxter said:
And it's not just the hair; it's the face as well.

From that picture, surely most would assume that that is a female character.

Same for Misaka, a large part of the fan-base says he looks like a male, thence obtaining the nickname "mankasa" — but "trap" is never a word used.

I don't know what to say..Fans are pretty fickle when it comes to who qualifies as what. That's why we still get debates over the exact definition of what a loli is. I just try to go with whatever seems like the general rule is for these kinds of things.
Yeah, okay, but if you saw that picture of Eren and knew the character not? surely you would think that character is more likely to be female, than male, right?

If Locon's characters can be called "traps" and are constantly called such, then certainly Eren's current incarnation qualifies:



It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
 
Nov 19, 9:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1589
Sphinxter said:
Setsuei said:

I don't know what to say..Fans are pretty fickle when it comes to who qualifies as what. That's why we still get debates over the exact definition of what a loli is. I just try to go with whatever seems like the general rule is for these kinds of things.
Yeah, okay, but if you saw that picture of Eren and knew the character not? surely you would think that character is more likely to be female, than male, right?

If Locon's characters can be called "traps" and are constantly called such, then certainly Eren's current incarnation qualifies:


Ok, yea, going off that picture specifically, without knowing the character, there's a pretty good chance I'd mistake him for a girl and I suspect others who know nothing about the series might as well.
 
Nov 19, 11:40 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 238
thetasteless said:
I would like to share my thoughts on this.

Upon searching for the exact meaning of this genre I could find that:
The term “Yandere” in anime is generally defined as a particular character type. It means a character (often female) with an unhealthy romantic obsession that, in extreme cases, can lead to the murder of romantic rivals, threats, and even the person that the yandere is in love with.

Let's go over it in a logical manner:

1. So, when did Yandere become a thing?
I believe this became a thing when the community got bored with the regular stuff. They no longer took interest in legit romantic stories & were more inclined to find something more extreme.

2. So, why the hell did this even happen?
The thirst for extremeness in romance could not be satisfied by the tsundere or any other "dere" (is that even a thing?) genre (including all the different types of "coitus" if you know what I mean).That's when people thought, "why not make the people obsessed with love? We've already had them obsessed with power or money before." I guess that's what anime is all about, realizing your fantasies. I guess that's how this whole Yandere thing came to the formation.

3. So, Is there a problem with it?
In this case, I can't help but agree with @Nubiellee. As she rightly pointed it out, there is nothing wrong with liking a particular character or characters. Don't judge anybody, everyone has different tastes. Some of the people like Yamcha in DBZ, i don't judge :')
But, I'd go bat-shit crazy & run if I find someone like that in real life. That's just too extreme & shouldn't be true!



I can agree with all of those, though for me it's hard to believe that yandere became a thing after just one single anime (being Mirai Nikki). Yes there are other animes that claim to have "yanderes", though most the characters on those lists either contain only "obsessive", or only "crazy" characters. I guess for me personally, a yandere should have "obsessive" and "crazy" combined. Not just one or the other. (and of course the intent to kill because of their obsession).

With that being said, to me thus far, the only animes I've seen that actually have "obsessive" and "crazy" combined is in Mirai Nikki and Happy Sugar Life (I mean even going as far as killing for the one they love). Yet apparently 2 animes were enough to create an entire dere trope that people love, yet they only have those 2 animes available for yandere fans, which is kind of ...meh. Makes you wonder how yandere is even a thing in the first place, considering there are only 2 animes that have it. Where tsuderes have like 40+ animes where people can enjoy the trope.

Also, I hated Mirai Nikki's story telling since it had way too many asspulls. I would love to rather see a yandere in another story with slightly better writing, but it looks like it doesn't exist...
 
Nov 20, 12:01 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 238
Sphinxter said:
Setsuei said:
I thought all yandere meant was they love you so much they'll kill you so no one else can have you.
Is there more to it than that?
Or others, or themselves.

A "yandere" in the broadest sense is a love interest that is murderous in some way. "obsessive" is not a requirement, just a trait that often comes with it. If these commonly cited traits are taken as requirements then tundere are also a lot rarer. Characters like Misaki Ayuzawa or Ryuunosuke akasaka would no longer be "tundere" because they're never actually physically violent with their love interest.

And yes, there are quite a few yandere characters.

https://www.animeimpulse.com/blog/2019/1/25/top-30-yandere-characters-in-anime

This list does not even include many of my favorites which are quite popular: Rin Kokonoe and Masiro Siina. I would not include Levi though since Levi is just violent and murderous, but not a love interest.

For it to be a yandere, a requirement is that the murderous nature stem from the love; he must murder out of love. Mikasa definitely qualifies, showing a clear inclination to murder whoever repræsents a threat to Eren.

Ayase I've never been so sure of; Ayase definitely plays on the yandere trope, but it's more that Kyousuke thinks that he is a yandere due to constant misunderstandings between them that makes him think that Ayase has murderous tendencies that he does not have.

The thing is, I can quite agree that Mikasa is quite yandere in nature, though if one were to be looking for an anime where the main core focus was around a yandere, I wouldn't see Attack on Titan as a good recommendation since it's more about the titans.

Just for example, if you were looking for animes where the main focus feels like it's around tsunderes, the obvious recommendations would be animes like Toradora, Shakugan no Shana, and such... (if anything, most anime contains a tsun hidden somewhere inside of it)

For yanderes, it literally only feels like Mirai Nikki and Happy Sugar Life are the only ones that truly qualifies as a "yandere" anime recommendation. So it kind of makes you wonder how yandere is even a thing if yandere fans only have 2 available animes for them to enjoy the trope from. Unless there are other titles out there that I'm not aware of, but if there are, they certainly aren't very well known...
 
Nov 20, 3:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 2449
Tomas_Waifu said:
Sphinxter said:
Or others, or themselves.

A "yandere" in the broadest sense is a love interest that is murderous in some way. "obsessive" is not a requirement, just a trait that often comes with it. If these commonly cited traits are taken as requirements then tundere are also a lot rarer. Characters like Misaki Ayuzawa or Ryuunosuke akasaka would no longer be "tundere" because they're never actually physically violent with their love interest.

And yes, there are quite a few yandere characters.

https://www.animeimpulse.com/blog/2019/1/25/top-30-yandere-characters-in-anime

This list does not even include many of my favorites which are quite popular: Rin Kokonoe and Masiro Siina. I would not include Levi though since Levi is just violent and murderous, but not a love interest.

For it to be a yandere, a requirement is that the murderous nature stem from the love; he must murder out of love. Mikasa definitely qualifies, showing a clear inclination to murder whoever repræsents a threat to Eren.

Ayase I've never been so sure of; Ayase definitely plays on the yandere trope, but it's more that Kyousuke thinks that he is a yandere due to constant misunderstandings between them that makes him think that Ayase has murderous tendencies that he does not have.

The thing is, I can quite agree that Mikasa is quite yandere in nature, though if one were to be looking for an anime where the main core focus was around a yandere, I wouldn't see Attack on Titan as a good recommendation since it's more about the titans.

Just for example, if you were looking for animes where the main focus feels like it's around tsunderes, the obvious recommendations would be animes like Toradora, Shakugan no Shana, and such... (if anything, most anime contains a tsun hidden somewhere inside of it)

For yanderes, it literally only feels like Mirai Nikki and Happy Sugar Life are the only ones that truly qualifies as a "yandere" anime recommendation. So it kind of makes you wonder how yandere is even a thing if yandere fans only have 2 available animes for them to enjoy the trope from. Unless there are other titles out there that I'm not aware of, but if there are, they certainly aren't very well known...
Yes, the yandere is rarely the "main girl" in a harem series; that's a fair point.

There's very often a yandere in the harem, but it's rarely the main girl. Rin Kokonoe and Masiro Siina are examples where the main girl is a yandere, but that personality trait also gets overshadowed by the former being a loli, and the latter primarily being a kuudere with some murderous tendencies that stem more from ignorance than outright malice.


It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
 
Nov 22, 11:17 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 305
People wanted mommy gf and were into femdom, BOOM! Yandere archetype was born. Not even joking.
 
Nov 22, 11:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 43
The appeal and creation probably comes from a lust for dominant sadistic women who are psychopaths.
And I totally am on board with that.
Thing is, sadoderes are a much better achetype in that case given they'll abuse their love interest.
Too bad they're so very rare.
As far I'm concerned, yanderes just protect the MC really.
 
Top