Forum Settings
Forums

MAL ratings matter way more than people think

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Post New Reply
Nov 19, 2019 2:28 AM

SaintMerakle said:
Setsuei said:
I've done some thinking from all this back and forth, and decided they only thing matters, to me at least, is the direct comparison between the score I've given an anime and the overall score it has.

Now that we are on the same page check this out the link I forgot to post https://anime.plus/Setsuei/list,anime
Round down btw so 0.59 and low go back to 0 and 0.6 and high go up to 1

Ok, yea I see what you were saying, the differences from a lot of my scores and the overall averages aren't that big when compared like this. I still feel there's enough of a difference for me to say my level of enjoyment for a lot of these is often higher or lower than the majority, just not by much.
Modified by Setsuei, Nov 19, 2019 2:31 AM

Nov 19, 2019 2:38 AM
SaintMerakle said:
I havent been an active user at this site at all but a common theme I find in every thread I have read is that MAL rating does not matter or something in the same lines as that. Personally I have not seen much anime and I have little knowledge outside the scope of anime that I am watching or have watched already, but I will say this MAL rating is a huge factor in my search for new content to watch pre my discovery of MAL I watched anime seasonally, by recommendation or continuation of things I have watched when I was younger on TV aka Dragon Ball. Pokemon, One Piece etc.. MAL ratings are pretty much recommendations based on a bigger audience. MAL has over 16k Anime currently and over 1M active users with nearly 100k concurrent users at any single time making it with no doubt an insane community. According to my research there are about 1.5 to 4k troll accounts on this site. That number is low compared to any single anime members but can heavily impact a rating of a solid anime by .2 to 1.5 making it harder to find. Now onto why the ratings matter a lot. First the recommendation system on this site is slightly messed up if I say I dislike Attack on Titan season 1 but also love Tokyo ghoul the site still recommends Attack on Titan season 2 which it should not since I already stated I dislike the first season I believe the system should not recommend further season of an anime I already disliked its first season. Secondly, its clear the massive community has consensus on anime quality looking at the stats page where only extreme values that do not follow the trend are 1s. Lastly, Are you seriously suggesting the top 650 anime AKA rated 8 and above are not generally better in their respective genre than the rest 15k anime on this site using this list: https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php of-course there are a few exceptions but in 99% of the cases I would say that is the rule

As many other people have previously pointed out; scores are just numbers. This line of thinking is toxic. A lot of folks are under the impression - how popular an anime or how highly it's rated being based off subjectivity meaning that there's no reason to place objective value on it whatsoever. They are widely mistaken.

Nov 19, 2019 3:12 AM

MAL ratings do matter for the OP so he/she thinks that they should matter for everybody else?

Naaah!
For examples I don't have 10/10 for any of the MAL's top 100. Only two 9/10, eight 8/10, fourteen 7/10 and the rest is 6/10 and 5/10.

Like people tend to rate their enjoyment which is very subjective and there is a heavy recency bias. Also there are fanboys that will give 1/10 to a decent show just because it's rivalling their favourite show.

Nope!
MAL score should be ignored!

Also as someone above mentioned - the score is only a number. It can't tell you what is so good/bad in the show and would you enjoy it or not.

Nov 19, 2019 3:16 AM

I only consider ratings to be a GENERAL sign of what the public opinion is, and even then I dont fully trust them to be a sign. One problem is that a lot of the times the scores are either way too low or way too high due to people jumping on bandwagons. Numerous anime ratings fall into this problem, especially the ratings of popular anime. So stuff like Shield Hero or Attack on Titan comes out and everyone just watches it and throws in their 10/10s cause everyone loves it! Yay!

The second problem I have is kinda linked to the first one, and it's that less popular anime of generally higher quality and more popular anime of generally lower quality end up having the same scores cause the more popular ones are usually more accessible and thus are rated by more people, a lot of whom might be new to anime and would again.... THROW IN THE 10/10s IN UTTER DELIGHT!

The third problem is probably the one which pisses me off the most. People don't fully use the anime rating scale. From my experience browsing a lot of profiles, some people don't even rate anime below 7. For them, 7-10 is what the rating scale is, 1-6 can bugger off. This again results in some very high scores for some anime. One general argument I hear is that "If I don't like the anime, Ill drop it and wont give it a low score (Usually listed as 1-5)" to which I'd say that if you consider an anime good anime to finish it and give it a high score, then you should also give a low score to an anime which you consider bad enough that you cant bear to watch it. At least contribute to the score and let your opinion be known. You'll be doing the same by giving it a high score.

And even then, if people use the full scale, there's still the problem of people having different rating scales. There's especially a difference in rating a show on how much you enjoy it and rating it on what you consider it to be in quality.

Lastly, of course, there's the commonly spoken statement that people have different tastes. If a mecha hater watches a show, they're more than bound to hate it, and then they'll give it a low score (This is an IDEAL situation considering the person utilizes the full scale) cause due to one reason or another, they hate the genre overall and will find a lot more flaws in it than they would if they were actually enjoying it, as you generally overlook the "intellectual anime anal-ysis" part when you're having a good laugh or goosebumps.
Modified by SunBro26, Nov 19, 2019 3:27 AM

Nov 19, 2019 3:32 AM
Honestly, it depends greatly on the type of anime fan. I think the score is more important for newer anime fans, who haven't really found the types that types they individually prefer and hence rely on either friends recommendations, scores or popularity to mainly determine what they watch. This is what gateway anime are, anime with wide reach that is either/or very popular or highly rated.

The score of the show and it's inherent popularity (during its runtime) would essentially determine how popular it gets in the future (based on my observations). Think of the sleeper shows that have low popularity while airing but the score changes dramatically after it ends (Tsuki Ga Kirei, Kanata no Astra, Yagate Kimi Ni Mary). The popularity for those shows usually increase greater (corresponding to how high the rating is) than if the show was stuck in the 7-8 rating region.

Of course I believe the inherent popularity of the show plays a larger role. Lots of shows that were popular during their runtime but had some execution issues ended with a score below 8 (Darling in the Franxx, Guilty Crown, Mirai Nikki, Akane Ga Kill, etc) are still very popular. The inherent popularity usually comes from hype, the studio, source material, VA's, staff, the actual premise, is it a sequel, etc.

I used to place a fair emphasis on the scores, but not so much anymore. The popularity in the west has not really mattered in the past, what with the production companies mainly focusing on the Japanese market, but with the onset of Netflix and such this could change. Hence I think the scores are more important than the general opinion on the forum would lead one to believe, cause as far as I can tell, the casual or new anime fans fairly outnumber the rest.

Nov 19, 2019 3:49 AM
Here is a better way to find anime you will like and should check out, instead of basing it off of group consensus. Go look at the staff lists of your favorite anime, look and see what they have been involved in that you have not watched yet. Then go watch those. You will end up watching way better( for you) anime that way than what you are doing.

Nov 19, 2019 4:28 AM
alshu said:
MAL ratings do matter for the OP so he/she thinks that they should matter for everybody else?

I never stated they should matter to everyone the whole point is to see the communities view to ratings also for some reason I can not see your ranking is the website bugged or is it some privacy setting I do not know about

Nov 19, 2019 4:32 AM
Fmod91 said:
Here is a better way to find anime you will like and should check out, instead of basing it off of group consensus. Go look at the staff lists of your favorite anime, look and see what they have been involved in that you have not watched yet. Then go watch those. You will end up watching way better( for you) anime that way than what you are doing.

Currently I am not doing anything I am just trying to figure out what I like so I am watching a wide variety and seems that my taste is not genre specific but something I can not seem to put my hand on as of yet but in all honesty all that I have ranked 6 or higher I really enjoyed while watching if you can figure out my taste I would be surprised and happy

Nov 19, 2019 4:43 AM

How can you say that ratings matter when Chihayafuru got 10% of the scores as a 1. MAL is full of trolls, maybe some obscure show has a pure rating but the known stuff is compromised.
"Even if there's a wide world and stories
beyond the main focus, I don't think
it's necessary to end with the protagonist having
been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

Houseki no Kuni Club

Nov 19, 2019 4:47 AM
Catalano said:
How can you say that ratings matter when Chihayafuru got 10% of the scores as a 1. MAL is full of trolls, maybe some obscure show has a pure rating but the known stuff is compromised.

I know about that case out of 3k votes a troll or something malicious decided to lower overhall vote by adding 300 fake 1 votes BUT if u look at stats distribution the show should be a solid 8.9

Nov 19, 2019 4:51 AM

SaintMerakle said:

I never stated they should matter to everyone

Yeah - "matter way more than people think".

SaintMerakle said:
the whole point is to see the communities view to ratings

But we already know how the community reacts to them and we think it's stupid...or at least unpractical.

SaintMerakle said:
I can not see your ranking

Why even bother?

SaintMerakle said:
or is it some privacy setting I do not know about

It's a privacy setting - my list is accessible only to friends...because it's not that important to public anyway.

Nov 19, 2019 4:59 AM
alshu said:

Yeah - "matter way more than people think".

Exactly think, in every post I read people say it DOES NOT matter more than not is it DOES matter. I never said its the be all end all

alshu said:
Why even bother?, because it's not that important to public anyway.

I bother because I am interested in how people utilize the rating system as that is the point of the whole post if you dont want to share it then why are coming here interpreting my post in convoluted ways and not adding anything to the discussion

Nov 19, 2019 5:00 AM

yea not in the least buddy pal friend
shirt [x]

Nov 19, 2019 5:04 AM

Ratings will never matter,my head hurts from seeing idiots type walls of text with no sense in it whatsoever.

Nov 19, 2019 5:19 AM

SaintMerakle said:

Exactly think, in every post I read people say it DOES NOT matter more than not is it DOES matter.

In other words - they disagree with the statement in the title of the topic.

SaintMerakle said:
I never said its the be all end all

Yeah, but your title suggest that those ratings have huge influence no matter or against what people think of them.

alshu said:

if you dont want to share it then why are coming here

So if I don't share my list I am permitted to post here?
Add this condition to your first post than!

alshu said:
interpreting my post in convoluted ways

Or you just don't realize how suggestive is your title?

alshu said:
and not adding anything to the discussion

Discussing how pointless a discussion is also a form of discussion.
Also I wrote some other stuff you ignored.

My personal data is irrelevant to this discussion...like yours or anybody's else who have posted here.
Modified by alshu, Nov 19, 2019 5:37 AM

Nov 19, 2019 5:22 AM
They may matter to you, mate. I had little consideration for scores, but what little I held, disappeared when I saw people unironically rating arifureta anything above a 4. That show has so many aspects that are OBJECTIVELY fuck-awful that seeing so many people genuinely giving it a positive score was astonishing.

And I enjoyed it a lot myself. It was horrid but it was an extremely fun trainwreck, much more entertaining than more competent junk like dr rock. But this is the equivalent of a movie-goer rating Trolls 2 or Garbage Pail Kids a 7 or an 8, unironically. It's fucking stupid.

Reality is, a lot of people have no standards whatsoever. A lot apparently have no idea how a plot or storytelling should work or how to distinguish between a mindbogglingly appalling one and one that's decent and, as a result, they rate whatever they like as "uh yah, I like it so that's good". And that's just talking about bloody writing, too. Sticking with arifureta, there were people genuinely saying "oh that cgi is bad" when talking about what obviously was a hand-drawn scene. A disgustingly drawn one, to be certain, but no one that isn't blind should be able to mistake it for cgi. When something THAT basic isn't even universally recognised, what's even the point in bothering with scores?

In fact, I take it back, scores do matter to me in one way: I'm not going to bother looking for anything with an average score under 6; if something like arifureta got a 6.5, I don't even want to imagine what unthinkable garbage must an anime be to get a score lower than 6 on MAL.

Nov 19, 2019 5:40 AM
alshu said:

Naaah!
For examples I don't have 10/10 for any of the MAL's top 100. Only two 9/10, eight 8/10, fourteen 7/10 and the rest is 6/10 and 5/10.

Like people tend to rate their enjoyment which is very subjective and there is a heavy recency bias. Also there are fanboys that will give 1/10 to a decent show just because it's rivalling their favourite show.

Nope!
MAL score should be ignored!

Also as someone above mentioned - the score is only a number. It can't tell you what is so good/bad in the show and would you enjoy it or not.
what are those two nine outta ten shows. 😊

Nov 19, 2019 5:43 AM

I don’t think there’s much to disagree with what you’ve said. MAL scores are generally a good reflection of quality when it comes to shows in their respective genres.

It’s funny how many people disagree with this notion while only having the top 1% rated shows in their favorites. Heck, most people won’t even watch more than the top 5% anime in their entire lives lol.
Modified by Katsuo_, Nov 19, 2019 5:51 AM

Nov 19, 2019 5:46 AM

Peeti said:

26. Cowboy Bebop
89. Koukaku Kidoutai: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - I prefer the first season (currently on position 128) but MAL likes this better.

Nov 19, 2019 5:53 AM
Hikikomori-chan

In my opinion this might be true in the anime top but not in the manga's one which is a lot more subjective (no shitty animation/direction etc.)
Modified by KingCanute, Nov 19, 2019 6:28 AM

Nov 19, 2019 5:55 AM
alshu said:
Peeti said:

26. Cowboy Bebop
89. Koukaku Kidoutai: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - I prefer the first season (currently on position 128) but MAL likes this better.
Oh I see, what about manga? Does u have any 9 or 10 outta 10 in top 100 there?

Nov 19, 2019 6:06 AM

Peeti said:

I almost don't read manga. My favourite is on position 359

So:

Three 8/10 for
12. 20th Century Boys
31. Death Note
64. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Two 7/10 for
16. Yotsuba to!
18. GTO - wait! I don't like this, even have dropped it. Why 7/10? Maybe I made some mistake? That will be corrected.

Nov 19, 2019 6:17 AM

The reason why ratings aren't important isn't because we think trolls are ruining all of the scores, it's because the users themselves have shit taste.

Nov 19, 2019 6:31 AM
alshu said:
Peeti said:

I almost don't read manga. My favourite is on position 359

So:

Three 8/10 for
12. 20th Century Boys
31. Death Note
64. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Two 7/10 for
16. Yotsuba to!
18. GTO - wait! I don't like this, even have dropped it. Why 7/10? Maybe I made some mistake? That will be corrected.

Haha, sure correct it. Hoomans make mistakes.

Nov 19, 2019 6:36 AM

Finally someone who understands the purpose of rankings. It's a frame of reference - not a Holy Sacred List of indisputable facts.

Whats even better is how you, not being an active MAL user, are more civilized and can argue way better than 99% of the community here. People around here cant discuss anything properly most of the time, and are very, very narrow-minded.

Nov 19, 2019 6:38 AM

Peeti said:

You can pay me with gold-pressed latinum to not correct it tho.

Nov 19, 2019 6:48 AM
alshu said:
Peeti said:

alshu said:
Peeti said:

No, you should correct your list. Your friends may see a wrong thingy there.

Nov 19, 2019 6:54 AM

Peeti said:
]No, you should correct your list. Your friends may see a wrong thingy there.

I pay them to be my friends (with gold-pressed latinum) thus they wouldn't mind.

Nov 19, 2019 6:56 AM
alshu said:
Peeti said:
]No, you should correct your list. Your friends may see a wrong thingy there.

I pay them to be my friends (with gold-pressed latinum) thus they wouldn't mind.
Haha, it's funny. You in a happy mood?

Nov 19, 2019 6:59 AM

Peeti said:

No.

I have less gold-pressed latinum, thus I am less happy.

Nov 19, 2019 7:03 AM
alshu said:
Peeti said:

No.

I have less gold-pressed latinum, thus I am less happy.
But I have none. Yeah, it's embarrassing but I will do ma best to collect them 😁.

Nov 19, 2019 7:03 AM

SaintMerakle said:

It seems you completely misunderstood everything I said

To be honest, I gave up reading what you're even saying. Your scarce knowledge of punctuation, inappropriately long sentences and too much oh-so-in-depth information that doesn't quite matter make it IMPOSSIBLE to understand what you're saying.

Returning to the topic. I agree with the majority who say the score does not matter - it never plays the role when choosing anime for me. Different people have different views, and more often than not I happen to have an opinion that differs from masses.

Or maybe it doesn't differ this much - again, I don't particularly check the scores. I filter and make my choices by genres and if the visuals on the cover are in line with my aesthetics.

Nov 19, 2019 8:23 AM
Setsuei said:
I've done some thinking from all this back and forth, and decided they only thing matters, to me at least, is the direct comparison between the score I've given an anime and the overall score it has.

If my score matches the score on the anime's page, then that means I agree with the majority of the fans.
If it doesn't match, even of it's only off by one point, then I disagree. I don't really see why it needs to anymore complicated than that.
If something has an 8 and I give it a 9, that implies I likely enjoyed more than most.

I completely agree with your way of thinking

Nov 19, 2019 8:34 AM

Arguing whether MAL scores matter or not is completely moot. It depends on your subjective evaluation of the community's collective judgement. It matters for some, doesn't for others.

Let my blood taint your dreams!
Let the Grail be cursed!
Let the wish it grants bring disaster!
And when you fall into the pits of hell...
Remember the rage of Diarmuid!

Nov 19, 2019 8:40 AM

outside of scores and tastes are relative, i think the main problem with MAL scores is that they are comically high.
Even some of the worse shows or even most basic shows will have above 7/10
so if you adjust yourself to that than you can get a solid idea of your likes in relation to other's.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here

Nov 19, 2019 8:43 AM
Lazy

MAL ratings can be useful if you know how to interpret them properly, which most people don't since they just take them at face value.

Nov 19, 2019 8:48 AM
Ericonator said:
MAL ratings can be useful if you know how to interpret them properly, which most people don't since they just take them at face value.

Mind if I ask for advice on ways to interpret them better Alot of good ideas came from this thread and the more the better Thank you :)
Btw seems we have kind of a polar opposite opinion of shows we share hehe

Nov 19, 2019 8:51 AM

I do look a scores a bit when i'm looking new anime to watch. If something is below 7 it's not usually good watch no matter the genres and themes. Not always ofc, but most of the time. In other hand something over 8 is usually good watch regardless of the genres and themes.

Nov 19, 2019 8:54 AM
Lazy

SaintMerakle said:
Ericonator said:

Mind if I ask for advice on ways to interpret them better Alot of good ideas came from this thread and the more the better Thank you :)
Some ways include;
What kind of people are generally watching this show, e.g. the target audience?
How old is it? A lot of people won't watch something if its from a specific time period.
How many ratings are there? A show with few ratings can be volatile due to the fact that not not many people rated it, so less sample size.
Sequels tend to be higher rated since mostly people who liked the prequels will be watching it.

There are others too, but these are some of the more important ones in my opinion.

Nov 19, 2019 9:04 AM
Nostalgik said:
Finally someone who understands the purpose of rankings. It's a frame of reference - not a Holy Sacred List of indisputable facts.

Whats even better is how you, not being an active MAL user, are more civilized and can argue way better than 99% of the community here. People around here cant discuss anything properly most of the time, and are very, very narrow-minded.

hehe thanks :)
Mind if I ask how you use MAL ranking - rating system

Nov 19, 2019 9:07 AM
Kami-sama

MAL ratings are very important to me, and I feel they are for many. I think it's a great recommendation system, but is a flawed process, for a couple of rasons. These are largely unavoidable, for example, theres the issue of score inflation : Many 12 or 13 episode anime are iconically, average. It's common for anime of this style to be average, but to receive ratings well over 7.0. Although in general these anime are average and deserve such a score, they always succeed in having a very resolving ending. So the viewer finishes the show feeling great, and gives the show a rating that is, very great, inflating the rating of a show that's really just average, with a very above-average score. This is seen in how shows in the 5-6.5 range are in the bottom quartile of rated shows, when in reality this should just qualify them as average.

Nov 19, 2019 9:11 AM
I somewhat agree.
What I agree with: I think that ratings are kinda important and it sometimes determines popularity and people's willingness to watch shows. I say usually because you have factors such as release date, episode count, genre etc. that can dictate viewership. One main example is LotGH, it's 30+ years old since it's release, it's 110 episodes long, it has a 9.0+ rating, but it only has like 60k people watching/completed the show. And since the last few months it has dropped by 0.04 because it has the highest percentage of 1s out of the top 10. 0.04 might not seem that much but it is a big difference especially when in the top 10-20 shows.

What I disagree with: I think that it's up to what people are interested in and what their tastes are. You look at SAO and it's one of the most popular shows despite it being rated in the sevens (I've given it a 6). Ratings can also be boosted because of memes or bot accounts. Pingu in the City is one of the best examples for this; it has 2 majority voting groups, 10s and 1s. I've also seen random shitty shows get a massive ratings boost that have even broke into the top 50

It's best to pick what you might think you would enjoy and give it a shot before you pass judgement and read what everyone else has to say about it. Ratings don't determine your level of enjoyment.
If she isn't blood related, she's ready to be dated

Nov 19, 2019 9:20 AM

There was a time where I also looked at 8+ scores for recommendations and I still kind of do. But there are quite some popular 8+ shows which I didnt really enjoy that much, so I dont take the rating as given enjoyment anymore.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

Nov 19, 2019 9:21 AM

i sometime wish if MAL will just remove ranking system of animes...

people enjoy different type of anime
they dont have to like what you like or dislike what you dislike

this website(MAL) is made to track your anime list, and have a good connection with people who watch anime..

find friends and discuss..
its not to fight among each other to say this better anime because of rating or this is bad anime because of rating as well..
which also lead to a funny matter of creating fake accounts to increase or decrease anime scores..

i enjoy anime rated below 5
and hated anime rated over 8

basically what i am trying say is that
no one give a shit about the ranking system..

i rate my anime list based on enjoyment,

regards

Nov 19, 2019 9:26 AM
Personally I have not seen much anime and I have little knowledge outside the scope of anime that I am watching or have watched already

I think you could have stopped there, buddy.

Wait for a few months/years, keep rating animes. Then, take a look at your list. You'll realize you gave a certain anime a higher (or equal) rating than another whereas you actually preferred the latter.
That's how flawed a rating system is. You can't use a number to define enjoyment, it's as simple as that and it's obvious.

In the end, ratings are just a way for people to pretend they have better tastes than others.
Just enjoy what you enjoy, and let others enjoy what they enjoy. It doesn't mean we can't discuss about it all, just don't try to use the word "objective" when you're clearly not talking about something objective.
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.

Nov 19, 2019 9:32 AM

I'm sorry but that is bullshit. The opinion of the majority doesn't decide whether an anime is good or not, your own personal opinion does.

Nov 19, 2019 9:41 AM

Dante012 said:
Personally I have not seen much anime and I have little knowledge outside the scope of anime that I am watching or have watched already

I think you could have stopped there, buddy.

Wait for a few months/years, keep rating animes. Then, take a look at your list. You'll realize you gave a certain anime a higher (or equal) rating than another whereas you actually preferred the latter.
That's how flawed a rating system is. You can't use a number to define enjoyment, it's as simple as that and it's obvious.

In the end, ratings are just a way for people to pretend they have better tastes than others.
Just enjoy what you enjoy, and let others enjoy what they enjoy. It doesn't mean we can't discuss about it all, just don't try to use the word "objective" when you're clearly not talking about something objective.
first of all, you are talking as if someone needs to consume a lot of the same medium just for their rating system to be "valid". Its only natural, indeed, for someone to adjust their ratings as they watch more and more anime.

Also, I dont look at it that way - that ratings are just a way for people to pretend they have better tastes .. - no, you cant use a number to define enjoyment, but thats exactly why a rating is personal, because for some, that number may only encompass their enjoyment level, but it may also include an huge number of individual elements that, again, matter only to the person giving the score.

I can tell you that i enjoyed my 10/10s more than my 9/10s, and my 9/10s more than my 8/10s, etc. etc. but that indeed changes depending on who you ask, and thats fine.

Nov 19, 2019 9:46 AM
TinyTempest said:
I'm sorry but that is bullshit. The opinion of the majority doesn't decide whether an anime is good or not, your own personal opinion does.

Allow me to ask you this how come you constantly rate shows similar to the majority of the MAL community. Look at your completed list stats you have a deviation of 0.26 so basically few shows have any noticeable difference from the general community opinion. And looking more indepth it is clear barring about 50 shows of ur 610 completed u pretty much rank +- 1 at max in comparison to the MAL community. Thus your ratings are pretty much inline with the MAL community. Your opinion generally about anime is similar to the majority of this sites users so why are you saying the ratings are bullshit

Nov 19, 2019 9:53 AM

Ericonator said:
SaintMerakle said:

Some ways include;
What kind of people are generally watching this show, e.g. the target audience?
How old is it? A lot of people won't watch something if its from a specific time period.
How many ratings are there? A show with few ratings can be volatile due to the fact that not not many people rated it, so less sample size.
Sequels tend to be higher rated since mostly people who liked the prequels will be watching it.

There are others too, but these are some of the more important ones in my opinion.
im glad you brought this up. What many people dont understand is that, for example, Kaiba's 8.18 score is very different from, say, Railgun S's 8.10 - because the former is a niche original show with a much more specific target audience, while the latter is the sequel of an already popular action series for a much wider audience, so I'd say, in this case, to take Railgun's 8+ score with a grain of salt - which doesnt mean someone CAN'T think it is an 8/10 show of course.

I do agree that most people just dont know how to look at scores here and interpret them according to their personal tastes

Nov 19, 2019 9:57 AM

I was like you when I started anime, but after I saw great series with a mal score between 6-7, and garbage ones which are 8.8+ I realised that mal score doesnt matter at all.

You will realise it after a while too.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »