Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Nov 18, 12:05 PM

I'm kinda surprised that this show is in the 6's which on MAL means its pretty bad. I was expecting it to be pretty good if not average so I was planning to watch it but the low score dissuades me.

Is it really that bad or is it just underrated/misunderstood?

Nov 18, 12:43 PM
It's okay. Average. It's more Slice of lifey and dramatic rather than a mystery or parody. Characters don't provoke interest and/or are not appealing.

It is fine enough that I watch it every week but considering that there are atleast 10 better shows this season, definitely won't recommend others to watch this.

As for MAL scores, there have been very good shows in the past which I liked but had low scores(as low as 6.x). I'd suggest the 1(or 3)-episode rule over Mal scores on this show(any for most others too).

Nov 18, 5:35 PM
I like it.
My theory regarding it's 6.0 score is that people expected a more mystery focused story, but what you need to know is that it's a comedy first, and a mystery second.
Hi, how are you?

Nov 22, 7:03 PM
🐰KawaiiDaikaiju🐲

If you’re a Holmes purist you may not like the interpretation, but if you’re open to a different take on the classic setting, you will probably enjoy the somewhat skewed-yet-familiar characters, as well as trying to pick out the threads of the original story each episode is based on 🧐
And the rakugo scenes are a hoot too 😅
“SAITO! YOU NEED TO EXPLODE! FOR THE WORLD’S SAKE!”

Dec 1, 3:36 AM

I don't know a lot about the classic Sherlock Holmes that exists in western literature. (Only that he exists and that there is a Watson. Never read anything or watched real movies based on it.)

Still this anime is great. Like the unusual characters and the rakugo stuff and comedy + the small episodic cases with now a bit deeper background plot appearing. (Less episodic stuff happening tied in with the episodic stories.)

Certainly better than the shoujo thing (at least if felt like shojo - not tagged shoujo here on MAL though) based on Holmes we had recently. ( https://myanimelist.net/anime/37458/Kyoto_Teramachi_Sanjou_no_Holmes )

Comedywise Milky Holmes is better. (Pure comedy though ... not really interesting plot.)

Dec 2, 3:44 AM

It is good. It's really under-rated too. And I don't really understand why. You get a case to solve in every episode. The characters are absolutely fantastic and phenomenally well developed and interesting. The world is rich, and the twists on the classic Holmes characters are fresh and welcomed. The only way I can describe it is if the dickish weird holmes of Benedict Cumburbuns fused with the Holmes of Mr. IronMan but they both were Japanese.

I am really sad that this one doesn't get the love it deserves. The end of the first episode had me laughing like crazy. Not just that, but you see Moriarty develop in a way, you haven't really seen him in any recent TV history. Because you usually meet him as already bad. And here you see him actually be a character with more than "Did you miss me?" You know...

Dec 2, 5:09 AM
I'll review it when it ends but yes, it's a fun show and it doesn't take itself seriously at all. That's what I like about it. It's not even really about a mystery or anything, and so far no character development etc in sight. But that's OK, cause I don't think that this show is trying to be any of that.
So, in that sense, some people might find that that's why it's not 'good', but I don't think the show was supposed to be taken seriously, like, at all. Personally, I like the humor and the art (it looks great) and also, I like Kabukichou so obviously had to watch a show about it.
tbh I don't really get it when people are disappointed in shows like this...it is what it is supposed to be, how is that a bad thing...it's like...people expect something from a show, and when the show turns out not to be like that (but not because it failed - because it didn't want to be that thing) they think it's bad.

Anyways, I'd personally recommend it but if it's not your type of humor or show you like then maybe it's not for you. But don't let ratings get in the way of your experience.

Dec 2, 5:25 AM
Kami-sama

It's bad and without any substance. Usually when a director does an original anime they usually have a clear vision on what they want to convey through their story, however this doesn't seem to be the case for this anime yet, as it honestly feels pretty pointless and uninspired.

Dec 2, 8:16 AM

Nid_Vicious said:
I'll review it when it ends but yes, it's a fun show and it doesn't take itself seriously at all. That's what I like about it. It's not even really about a mystery or anything, and so far no character development etc in sight. But that's OK, cause I don't think that this show is trying to be any of that.
So, in that sense, some people might find that that's why it's not 'good', but I don't think the show was supposed to be taken seriously, like, at all.
tbh I don't really get it when people are disappointed in shows like this...it is what it is supposed to be, how is that a bad thing...it's like...people expect something from a show, and when the show turns out not to be like that (but not because it failed - because it didn't want to be that thing) they think it's bad.

Yes, that's exactly it. I suppose since it's based on a "serious" literary work, people wanted it to be a mystery drama, so when they get this comedy they hate it and say it's bad. I'm not taking it seriously either and I'm having a lot of fun watching it. They did a great twist on the Moriarty character, and Mrs. Hudson!! I don't know, I suppose it all depends on what you want out of it and if you like comedy anime, or if you're really attached to the original Sherlock Holmes novels. I've read several of them and I'm really enjoying this anime. Plus, it's clear the whole thing is slowly building up to something, it's not plotless. And it's just plain fun.

Dec 2, 9:26 AM
Exactly. I don't understand people who review a 24 ep show after just a few episodes...