Forum Settings
Forums

Do you care about the cinematography in anime?

New
Nov 18, 2019 7:15 AM

Aug 2013
I'm a pretty big movie nerd and I watch movies and internally analyse and appreciate every shot thats done exceptionally well. I only recently did the same for anime when I watched the finale episode of Kimetsu no Yaiba, where there is a dialogue in that interconnected world made out of stairs and traditional japanese architecture. I suddenly became aware of the angles the shots came from, camera position and well as how the camera flies through the environment. From then on I kept watching anime in the same way and now I can appreciate good fight scenes more as well as long shots.

Am I the only one that does that? I kind of have the feeling when I watch a movie I appreciate all the work that laid behind such a particular sequence.. also the reason why I watch Making of's of movies to see how certain shots were achieved. Another important aspect I started to look at is how certain shots are framed and where the characters are located.

Am I the only one?
Nov 18, 2019 7:19 AM
Mar 2018
I very much appreciate cinematography in anime. It isn't just what's in a scene that plays out, it's how it plays out, how it's presented, directed, etc. That's what makes a scene in anime stick out.
Nov 18, 2019 7:21 AM

Oct 2015
I think the cinematography in the Monogatari series is what makes it stand out for me as the best looking tv anime ever made.

In general though, I dont think cinematography is one of anime's strong points, but I do appreciate when shows make the effort.
Nov 18, 2019 7:28 AM

Feb 2019
It's the reason what makes shaft works so damn good.

It's also the reason why AoT fights are enjoying to watch.

Good cinematography is always appreciated.
Nov 18, 2019 7:31 AM

Mar 2019
I rarely notice details like that because I have a tiny flea brain, but when I do it always increases my appreciation for a show
Nov 18, 2019 7:33 AM

Aug 2013
cythraul said:

It's one part what makes monogatari good. Another part is that the series uses a way to tell jokes and stories, which is not known to western viewers. I'd advise you to look up "Rakugo" and then you will also understand why Monogatari has these shaft-typical headtilts.
Nov 18, 2019 7:40 AM

Feb 2015
Makes for an iconic scenes too when done pretty well...
Nov 18, 2019 7:47 AM

Feb 2019
KamisamaHatatan said:
cythraul said:

It's one part what makes monogatari good. Another part is that the series uses a way to tell jokes and stories, which is not known to western viewers. I'd advise you to look up "Rakugo" and then you will also understand why Monogatari has these shaft-typical headtilts.

I am familiar with the term 'rakugo' but I don't know much about it. I will probably watch some anime related to rakugo.
Nov 18, 2019 7:52 AM

Aug 2013
cythraul said:
KamisamaHatatan said:

I am familiar with the term 'rakugo' but I don't know much about it. I will probably watch some anime related to rakugo.

Monogatari, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, Joshiraku as well as Kabukichou Sherlock from the new season are Rakugo-centric jokes that pull their comedy from the ridiculous stories and SoL scenes told. Maybe Gochiusa is similar too.

Have fun!
Nov 18, 2019 8:05 AM

Jan 2018
Pantsu shot. They're like few second but so effective to capture my attention.
Nov 18, 2019 8:11 AM
May 2015
Cinematography in animation isn't always noticeable, but when used well and to stylish effect it does stand out very well.

Nov 18, 2019 8:18 AM
Jul 2018
Visual storytelling is very much dependent on cinematography. It can turn a good scene to a great one.
Nov 18, 2019 8:28 AM
Jul 2018
I...kind of do. Well more accurately, I wish I could. I remember watching some videos on shot composition and whatnot, but I think a forgot some of it, and I think I just learned the bare basics.
On a side note OP, how do you think cinematography in anime compares to live action?
Nov 18, 2019 8:59 AM

Apr 2014
Good cinematography can make or break a show, as it can elevate a scene so much, but it can also destroy a scene when done poorly.
Nov 18, 2019 9:12 AM
Feb 2017
Great cinematography separates a mediocre anime from a good anime, and a good anime from a great anime.
Nov 18, 2019 9:16 AM

Feb 2010
Absolutely, I love cinematography in general. Every Frame A Painting is probably my alltime favorite youtube channel and while he did mostly live-action movies, there were also one or two videos about anime and in general you can apply a lot of the general knowledge about cinematography to anime without it being much of a problem. Tho I'll admit than in anime it always has this additional layer of animation quality and overall slightly more freedom in terms of camera angles, camera movement and editing.

But if you ask me the question shouldn't be 'do you care', because if you watch movies or series of any kind you can't NOT care, even if you think you don't. Cinematography is a big part of the language of film, it's so inherently related to how everyone experiences a piece of visual fiction that the only really question is 'How much do you KNOW about cinematography and how it shapes your viewing experience? How AWARE are you of its impact?'.

Because even if you have never heard the term, it definitely shapes the viewing experience of everything you watch. It's always impactful, the difficult part is just being aware of it and being able to understand the exact role it plays in any given scene, the function it fulfils. Because it's a complex topic with a lot of depth to it and even after spending dozens, maybe hundreds of hours watching videos about alll kinds of different aspects of cinematography, I barely feel more than a pleb. There's a reason why such a thing as film school exists - there's a lot of information to soak up.

And that's the beauty of it - you don't need to know shit about cinematography to be positively impacted by it, which is why many people don't ever bother getting into it and that's totally understandable. But the more you learn about it, the more you sharped your eye to its nuances, the more depth there is to your appreciation of, well, ANYTHING you watch. It turns the passive effect it has on your viewing experience into an additional layer of active enjoyment you get out of whatever you watch. It's just great.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 18, 2019 9:31 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Well, yes, in ecchi the way they use the camera to present what's happening on the screen is something that makes all of the difference in the world between a mediocre fanservice scene and a great one. I think it's one of the most absolutely vital things in making a good ecchi scene, and I usually take a cinematogrophy/presentation oriented viewpoint over the more common one of narrative contextualization that I see on this board when it comes to this type of content.

It's not solely important to just ecchi, and it can drastically effect how a scene is interpreted by the audience in a million contexts outside of ecchi, of course, but eh. That's where I find myself discussing it more often than not.

Nov 18, 2019 9:43 AM

Jul 2017
F*ck Yes! I can't get enough of good cinematography. Even Pokemon at times is beyond thrilling to watch with how wild the cinematography can be, I'll always appreciate good use of it.

Nov 18, 2019 9:49 AM

Sep 2018
Cinematography is the only part i really care about regarding visuals, nice animation is a neat bonus but if the visuals help tell the story or reveal something about the characters its even neater ;)

Its something that separates good from great aside from the characters,themes etc.

Nov 18, 2019 9:59 AM
Jan 2019
I enjoy it but it's not a necessity. I watch mostly for the story and characters, so I don't mind watching static characters with moving mouths or generic fight scenes if the rest of the anime is engaging and the characters are interesting, but I definitely appreciate a director that knows actual directing techniques. Anything by Ufotable is incredible by a cinematographic standpoint (well anything by Ufotable is amazing in every meaning of the word).
Nov 18, 2019 10:02 AM

Aug 2013
Pullman said:
Absolutely, I love cinematography in general. Every Frame A Painting is probably my alltime favorite youtube channel and while he did mostly live-action movies, there were also one or two videos about anime and in general you can apply a lot of the general knowledge about cinematography to anime without it being much of a problem. Tho I'll admit than in anime it always has this additional layer of animation quality and overall slightly more freedom in terms of camera angles, camera movement and editing.

But if you ask me the question shouldn't be 'do you care', because if you watch movies or series of any kind you can't NOT care, even if you think you don't. Cinematography is a big part of the language of film, it's so inherently related to how everyone experiences a piece of visual fiction that the only really question is 'How much do you KNOW about cinematography and how it shapes your viewing experience? How AWARE are you of its impact?'.

Because even if you have never heard the term, it definitely shapes the viewing experience of everything you watch. It's always impactful, the difficult part is just being aware of it and being able to understand the exact role it plays in any given scene, the function it fulfils. Because it's a complex topic with a lot of depth to it and even after spending dozens, maybe hundreds of hours watching videos about alll kinds of different aspects of cinematography, I barely feel more than a pleb. There's a reason why such a thing as film school exists - there's a lot of information to soak up.

And that's the beauty of it - you don't need to know shit about cinematography to be positively impacted by it, which is why many people don't ever bother getting into it and that's totally understandable. But the more you learn about it, the more you sharped your eye to its nuances, the more depth there is to your appreciation of, well, ANYTHING you watch. It turns the passive effect it has on your viewing experience into an additional layer of active enjoyment you get out of whatever you watch. It's just great.

Wonderful comment. I wholeheartedly agree and wish I could edit the title now :)
Nov 18, 2019 10:21 AM

Oct 2013
Yes, I have a soft spot for shows that can transmit meaning through their visuals instead of just exposition.
Nov 18, 2019 10:21 AM

Nov 2017
I definitely do care about the direction and cinematography. There are many ways to tell a story and i tend to prefer the creative ones.

Apart from the animation and plot, these are a big part of how i judge my anime.
Sometimes i come across shows which might not have a 10/10 plot but it can engage me with its visuals and the direction/cinematography. And if the plot is good that's just the cherry on top of it.

A good example of the former is Zankyou no terror.
The plot wasn't that good for me. I wouldn't even call it above average. BUT ...

I loved the music done by Yoko Kanno; and paired with Shinichiro Watanabe's direction it was a treat to experience it.

And an example of the latter for me would be something like the Monogatari series.
NisioisiN is a genius story teller. Pair this with shaft's amazingly creative approach to the adaption and you've got a masterpiece.
Nov 18, 2019 11:29 AM

Jan 2009
that is the reason this guy is on favorites https://myanimelist.net/people/39051/Yuuichi_Terao

he popularizes those instagram digital coloring and effects of ufotable

and his 3DCG works to make circus camera works are godly there in ufotable too
Nov 18, 2019 12:45 PM

Nov 2007
Kyoto Animation and SHAFT are head and shoulders above other studios in cinematography. Which is one of the reasons why they are my favourite studios. Kyoto Animation in particular is mindbogglingly brilliant at it.

Examples: Koe no Katachi, Hibike! Euphonium, Hyouka, Kyoukai no Kanata, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, Violet Evergarden, Tamako Love Story, Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!, K-On!, Nichijou, Free!, Clannad After Story, Kanon 2006, FMP: The Second Raid.

Production I.G., ufotable, and Sunrise Inc. are pretty good too.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 19, 2019 4:08 AM

May 2018
Yeah...cool...but great cinematographic visualisations are wasted on sallow and empty titles like Kimetsu no Yaiba, Kimi no Na wa (+ other Shinkai stuff) ect.
Nov 19, 2019 7:19 AM

Aug 2013
alshu said:
Yeah...cool...but great cinematographic visualisations are wasted on sallow and empty titles like Kimetsu no Yaiba, Kimi no Na wa (+ other Shinkai stuff) ect.

I'd assume you call shows like it pretentious, but I found ef: a tale of memories and Ginga Tetsudou 999 to have some amazing kind of cinematography, despite not going overboard on the visuals.
Nov 19, 2019 7:33 AM
we back

Aug 2015
I mean yeah, good cinematography can really make an anime stand out.

Example
CHAMPIONOFDEATHNov 19, 2019 7:37 AM
Nov 19, 2019 7:35 AM

May 2018
KamisamaHatatan said:

I'd assume you call shows like it pretentious

Nope, I am just saying that good visuals are wasted on some shows.
Nothing pretentious about it. Just mismatch between form and content.

KamisamaHatatan said:
ef: a tale of memories and Ginga Tetsudou 999

Never watched those but I disliked the content of Uchuu Kaizoku Captain Herlock and Uchuu Kaizoku Captain Herlock: Arcadia-gou no Nazo...but liked Space Pirate Captain Herlock: Outside Legend - The Endless Odyssey and Captain Herlock (2013).

KamisamaHatatan said:
to have some amazing kind of cinematography, despite not going overboard on the visuals.

It's called minimalism...I like some titles with it too...not sure why you mention it tho.
Nov 19, 2019 7:55 AM

Apr 2012
KamisamaHatatan said:
Another part is that the series uses a way to tell jokes and stories, which is not known to western viewers. I'd advise you to look up "Rakugo" and then you will also understand why Monogatari has these shaft-typical headtilts.

I've watched a two-season anime about rakugo, and I still don't understand the head tilts. Edit - actually, I might have figured it out. Need to watch/rewatch something with head tilts to check though.

Regarding the general thread, I certainly pay attention to and appreciate the way the visuals help to convey the story, mood etc. But I don't really have a bucket called 'cinematography' which is a part of this, I think that's a result of the means of creating cinema whereby you use a camera to capture what's actually in a place from a certain position and angle. With animation being a far less limited format, it's less important, I'm likely to be spending a lot of time noticing things like colours, art style, how things are bigger or smaller than in real life, omission of details etc. which either can't be controlled at all or are a huge hassle in live-action.
logopolisNov 19, 2019 8:41 AM
Nov 20, 2019 11:55 AM

Oct 2017
Cinematography, and directing in general, is one of those things that people don't know they care about. Whether they're concious of it or not, good direction can take the exact same story and dialogue and turn it from something they will enjoy, to something they will love. I'm sure there are lots of people who roll their eyes at talk of "cinematography" and other such nerdy film making lingo. They'll say stuff like "it's just entertainment", "it's just a cartoon" and think people are being pretentious for taking anime seriously as art. But they don't realize that the talented artists behind the making of their favourite anime most definitely take that stuff seriously, and it makes a huge difference.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Nov 20, 2019 1:38 PM

Aug 2010
I think everyone appreciates cinematography at least on a subconscious level. Not everyone is equipped with the vocabulary to really examine/explain what they like about a subject, but i think cinematography is one of those things that distinguish a great show from a masterpiece.
ComboSmoothNov 20, 2019 1:41 PM
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Nov 20, 2019 8:54 PM
Nov 2018
Of course!!! I've always been caring about cinematography before it was cool, you guys!!! Lol

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Nov 20, 2019 9:00 PM
Apr 2019
I pay a lot of attention. It can be a good tool to interest your audience (for nerds like me) and how immersive it can be. The ones with the best are Demon Slayer, Fate, One Punch Man, Attack on Titan, Darling in the Franxx, and Kakegurui. There are other one but these anime have great cinematography.
Nov 20, 2019 9:33 PM
Jul 2018
"Do you care about the cinematography in anime?"

I love analyzing stuff, especially art and animation. So you're not the only one there buddy.

It appears that the majority of this thread is praising the works of Shaft and Ufotable, and for a good reason. When it comes to those two studios, they have very distinct use of cinematography that makes them stand out from other studios.

Shaft is loved by many including myself because of there somewhat patterned and abstract art style with their backgrounds and occasionally the characters as well. They're also appear to blend in live action and different art styles from time to time. Their camera shots are also very unique as well

Ufotable on the other hand, is also loved by their well handled CGI. Not to mention that they make the CGI look almost unnoticeable. And of course there's the camera work which is masterfully done that it almost feels like if we we're there. Thank God they handled the animation for Demon Slayer cause if not, then these scenes wouldn't look as good as they should.

And of course there's also Kyoto Animation. I just love their art style and how distinctive their art style is. They also appear to tell a lot of things just by showing us through their use of cinematography.

Nov 21, 2019 4:41 AM

May 2019
I don't hold anime to the same standard as live action movies since they have a literal camera to move around while in 2D animation, it must be imagined, with you having to shift perspective whenever the imaginary camera moves. Something as simple as having the camera circle the character as they stand Michael Bay style takes a lot more effort in animation than in live action.
That said, you can still do some interesting stuff. There's still a distinction between good direction and bad. Just don't expect epic oners and such.

However! The explosion of decent 3D anime recently means holding those to similar standards is fair since all perspective shifts are taken care of once you make the model.
Nov 21, 2019 4:49 AM

Mar 2019
Depends on whether it be important.

Some things like Blame! or Texhnolyze completely rely on setting a particular mood; if the cinematography be bad in such a thing then the entire thing fails. Straight comedies don't really rely much on it.

Even something like Sakurasou or Madoka relies heavily on conveying certain feelings of despair, so sans proper cinematography it could never succeed.

With something like Attack on Titan, it doesn't really matter.

The original strip of Koi Kaze had a very interesting chilly atmsophære to the entire thing in it's art style which the t.v. adaptation failed to properly replicate.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 21, 2019 6:36 AM
Sep 2019
A lot of people don't really realize it but the cinematography, in whatever genre, is important even in anime. Cinematography isn't just about pointing the camera or the dramatic art shots. Every shot follows a logic to them that might go unnoticed at times but it's important to note that even simple things like composition, angling, and shot variation are important aspects of storytelling. Every shot, no matter how simple, is the frame from which the story plays out and requires even the simplest thought towards cinematography. Granted, no every shot is going to stand out. It shouldn't. But as a whole, every shot is important.
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Jan 5, 2020 5:57 PM

May 2018
I think it always reveals how much effort was put into a show.

If all the angles/camera shots look shit, then it feels like the whole of the show has been half assed with barely any thought put into it. If each shot has been thought about, how visually appealing it looks, not making it static or boring, making it have symbolism or foreshadowing, creating atmosphere, perspective, ect, ect it means they are more passionate because they care about this detailed stuff.
Jan 5, 2020 6:01 PM
Jul 2018
Yes, I love good shots and pretty visuals. Especially in fight scenes and other important scenes, it's emotionally so much stronger with great visuals.
I rewatched Mo Dao Zu Shi to episode 5 today and saw how great the scenes, especially an important one in 5, were made up and affected me a lot in my watching experience.

Pullman said:

Yes, I agree on everything there.
Jan 5, 2020 7:28 PM

Dec 2015
I do, even if I don't know a lot about it. When I rewatch something I can pay attention to what I liked or disliked about a series and actually understand the ins and outs of it. It actually made me realize that Shinsekai Yori is lacking somewhat in its direction. The story itself is great but the cinematography and sound design are lacking. At the same time it confirmed why Clannad is my favorite anime because while it did have some things I would have done differently myself it never took over my appreciation for everything else.
Jan 5, 2020 7:41 PM

Jul 2012
I appreciate and enjoy good cinematography but it is not a /must/ in an anime. I can enjoy anime without those attributes if they can exceed in other aspects.

More topics from this board

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 1 hour ago

2 by BitChilly »»
7 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

196 by ISeeLifePeople »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

18 by Subarctic-Forest »»
14 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

69 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
25 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

14 by traed »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.