Forum Settings
Forums

Favourite anime from least watched/liked anime genre

Nov 18, 7:14 AM

I normally don't watch sports anime,but recently i have been trying out Haikyuu!,Free,and this season's Hoshiai no Sora and i am liking them so far,at least in their other aspects.So what anime in your least favourite genre unexpectedly became one of your favourites?

Nov 18, 7:49 AM
I rarely watch horror anime, but I tried Yakusoku no Neverland and Satsuriku no Tenshi,TPN is a masterpiece but satsuriku no tenshi wasn't that great

Nov 18, 7:54 AM

for a shoujo genre I like kaichou wa maid sama. I'm also prepared to watch a remastered/remake of Full Moon wo Sagashite if they want to do it.

Nov 18, 7:57 AM

Accoding to anime.plus my least liked genre it's Ecchi and the only anime I rated above 7 it's Kill La Kill.
Modified by Heimur, Nov 18, 8:02 AM

Nov 18, 8:00 AM

I don't like harem much but Bunny Girl Senpai was a great watch last year!

Nov 18, 8:04 AM
inb4 the giant hive mind that responds to these threads with "I don't like ecchi but I like Monogatari/Kill la Kill/Shokugeki, tee hee!~~" stirs from its slumber
Modified by Manaban, Nov 18, 8:08 AM

Nov 18, 8:39 AM

Manaban said:
inb4 the giant hive mind that responds to these threads with "I don't like ecchi but I like Monogatari/Kill la Kill/Shokugeki, tee hee!~~" stirs from its slumber
Too late. Comment number 4 beat you to it.

Nov 18, 8:41 AM

I'm not much into gore but shiki is one of my favourite animes
"I'm alright, because
The warmth on my back
Is from you, protecting me
My bent heart is being straightened out
I feel like I can keep on walking when I see your face
That time, I was able to gather my wishes and jump up
because of your words of encouragement"

Hanamaru◎Andante - Pastel✽Palettes

Nov 18, 8:50 AM
Ao Haru Ride from Shoujo Genre.
Yah!That's it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Nov 18, 8:52 AM

Manaban said:

Tee hee! I posted before you, victory is mine.

Another victory for the hive queen!

Nov 18, 8:56 AM

I don't really like the mecha genre but Code Geass was amazing :D

Nov 18, 9:03 AM
Well, there's Yagate for GL and Given for BL, Princess Tutu for Mahou Shoujo, Gundam for mecha and Shoujo Ramune for wholesome slice-of-life hentai. Off the top of my head those are the genres I have the least overall interest in. Although mahou shoujo is technically not a genre on MAL, but we all know it really is a genre.

But my least favorite genre overall is probably harem and it's hard to pick a favorite show from it because the ones I would pick, like Monogatari or Steins;Gate, do not have the harem tag even though they definitely have harem elements. Meanwhile the only harem-tagged anime I'm aware of that is on my list and not a reverse harem is Death March and that was barely more harem-y than Monogatari, if it was at all. It didn't have the harem tag when I watched it and I didn't really feel like I was watching a harem, but if we're going by MAL tags then Death March would be my pick for that genre. If reverse harems count, it's easily Ouran Host Club, but that feels like cheating because reverse harems are actually not as obnoxious and often have actually interesting characters.

I guess if we separate Yuri from shoujo-ai and Yaoi from shounen-ai I would have to add the Bikini Warriors Special for Yuri (one out of two shows with that tag on my list) and Fuyu no Semi for Yaoi (only somewhat decent one I know).

And if we then continue to go through some of MAL's random non-genres like 'Cars' and 'Vampires' here are the remaining ones for genres with less than 100 titles on my list:

Cars (Riding Bean)
Vampire (Monogatari, Shiki, Vampire Hunter D)
Josei (Nodame Cantabile, Chihayafuru, Rakugo)
Police (Monster, ACCA, Patlabor, SSAC)
Thriller (Monster, Kaiji S1, Higurashi, King of the Pigs)
Samurai (Gintama, Hyouge Mono, Hidamari no Ki, House of Five Leaves)

Although most of those are not under 100 entries because I dislike them, but because there simply aren't a lot of shows in them because they're too specific or too niche. Cars is the only one on there I would say I'm not really interested in, but Thriller for example is probably one of my favorite genres and Josei has by far the highest density of 10/10 shows among all the MAL genres/tags.

Aesthetic value can be recognized or experienced, but it cannot be conveyed to those who are incapable of grasping its sensations and perceptions. To quarrel on its behalf is always a blunder.

Nov 18, 9:13 AM

I don't like yuri, but YagaKimi is one of my fav romance anime/manga of all time

Nov 18, 9:16 AM
operationvalkyri said:
Manaban said:
Too late. Comment number 4 beat you to it.
Heimur said:
Manaban said:

Tee hee! I posted before you, victory is mine.

Another victory for the hive queen!

shit

the evildoers were one step ahead this whole time

Nov 18, 10:26 AM

I like Spice and Wolf even though I don't watch romance anime, so it's the only exception so far.

Nov 18, 10:33 AM

Evangelion for mecha

and, Yuri on ice for BL/Yaoi? i guess it can be called a sports anime
tho, and i love sports anime

Nov 18, 10:41 AM

Sports anime is my least favorite. But I see that Angelic Layer and Uma Musume: Pretty Derby both qualify, so they'd be my favorites in the genre.

Wait, Kaleido Star counts as sports? Okay, that one too.

Nov 18, 11:19 AM

RMikami said:
Sports anime is my least favorite. But I see that Angelic Layer and Uma Musume: Pretty Derby both qualify, so they'd be my favorites in the genre.Wait, Kaleido Star counts as sports? Okay, that one too.
Teekyuu and it's 1001 sequels and specials earned me an anime.plus badge for Sports, despite not having seen a single "real" sports anime because I'm not a genre fan. Wasn't even intentional.

Nov 18, 11:42 AM

Police/Detective: Koukaku Kidoutai: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG. Rated: 10/10.

The rest of the genre below Police/Detective are too few (5 or fewer) to give consideration because the total number of entries is over 1000.
<<<< Click to see how you may #HelpKyoAniHeal

Nov 18, 12:21 PM

Horror: Yami no Matsuei, maybe?

I have exactly three animes there. One a movie, one dropped. So... this?

Nov 18, 5:13 PM

inim said:
RMikami said:
Sports anime is my least favorite. But I see that Angelic Layer and Uma Musume: Pretty Derby both qualify, so they'd be my favorites in the genre.Wait, Kaleido Star counts as sports? Okay, that one too.
Teekyuu and it's 1001 sequels and specials earned me an anime.plus badge for Sports, despite not having seen a single "real" sports anime because I'm not a genre fan. Wasn't even intentional.

Oh, it's on Crunchyroll. Thanks, I might just check it out. Wow, that's a lot of episodes...

Nov 18, 5:23 PM

Well...Redline is tagged as a sports anime, and I rarely watch those, so I'm going with that.

Nov 18, 6:33 PM

No Game No Life for Ecchi

Ping Pong the Animation for Sports

For Comedy? It's a little tougher, because a lot of shows include the Comedy tag where it isn't really justified, in my view. Like shows that have some comedic relief, levity, and lighter moments, but are really not defined by being comedies in any real way. I'm tempted to say a title like Hanasaku Iroha, but it's really more of a Slice of Life and Drama series. So would it be cheating? I really don't watch any where comedy is considered the leading or "main" genre.

Happy Sugar Life for the most obvious covert "stealth" Yuri/Shoujo-ai, even if it doesn't have the corresponding MAL tag.

Maybe the Haruhi series for Parody? I feel like I haven't seen any other good ones yet.

And Ghost in the Shell (the film; still yet to watch SAC series) for Mecha. It isn't one of my absolute least favorite genres, but it's definitely closer to the bottom than most.

I haven't watched a really suitable hentai title yet.

Nov 18, 6:50 PM

I don't care much for Mecha or Military but Youjo Senki and Code Geass are both anime I really enjoyed. Having an interesting protagonist helped, I suppose.

chomp

Nov 18, 8:20 PM

I despise harem and am luke-warm on monster girl fiction, but somehow Monster Musume has become a camp classic for me, and I probably watch it from start to finish at least once a year.
Harem is the opiate of the Anime fandom masses.

Nov 18, 8:22 PM
I don’t care for anime from the sports or comedy genre much but I like haikyuu and gintama.

Nov 18, 9:11 PM

I don't really like gang-themed thrillers but I freaking loved Banana Fish and Black Lagoon
Even a broken clock is right twice a day

Nov 18, 10:12 PM

For meta anime, it's Tesagure! Bukatsumono. It helped a lot the anime was partially improvised.

Nov 18, 10:17 PM

Mimi wo Sumaseba
because it's the only shoujo that I completed

Nov 19, 6:51 AM

I'll use least liked because idk which genre i watch the least.. either way those two must be among them.

Ecchi: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Harem: I don't want to say the same twice so, H2O.