Forum Settings
Forums

Which anime were you planning to watch, but didn't because of the reviews?

Nov 17, 10:05 AM
For me it was guilty crown. Most reviews said it was a discount code geass and it had a really bad ending along with shitty MC.

Nov 17, 10:15 AM
*sips coffee*

None, because I don't let the opinions of strangers affect whether or not I think something sounds interesting.

Nov 17, 10:19 AM

Well, none cause I don't ever read reviews for choosing something to watch. I do read them after I finish a show.

My gut feeling is good enough to choose what to watch. Also known as the cover of an anime.

Nov 17, 10:22 AM
None. I don't let others dictate my thoughts, neither should you.
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.

Nov 17, 10:28 AM

That dragon plane vore show. It sounded interesting then when I heard people talk about what it was about and how it went completely killed it for me.

I just wanted a wholesome piece of vore media with cute girls and cute dragons, not whatever that is.

πŸ…—πŸ…πŸ…‘πŸ…“πŸ…”πŸ…‘ πŸ…“πŸ…πŸ…“πŸ…“πŸ…¨

Nov 17, 10:43 AM

I don´t care about others opinions unless I know them, and I will still watch it just to see If I like it. So no.

Nov 17, 10:50 AM

None. I go solely by the premise, art and people behind it. And DEFINITELY not by reviews on this site. The system is garbage.
I might consider recommendations from people I know I have similar taste with, though.

Nov 17, 10:54 AM
There was never a time I decided to not watch a series based on reviews. You should try things for yourself & gain your own opinions

Nov 17, 10:58 AM

It hasn't happened to me so far, and I don't expect it to. I'd much rather form my own opinion on a show.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno

Nov 17, 11:00 AM
Any Love Triangle/Geometric Shape anime and most things that Mari Okada has worked on.

Though that has to do more with just me not liking Love Triangles and Mari Okada's writing.

Reviews mention it and I think "yeah I'm definitely not liking this one". Even if I end up watching it I don't like it in the end (like High Score Girl, the recent Rascal movie, etc.)

The only things I've finished from Mari Okada are Kiznaiver, Dragon Pilot and SayoAsa; I only watched them for the great art style, rated them all a 6/10 and regretted watching them.
Modified by TodAboT, Nov 17, 11:05 AM

Nov 17, 11:29 AM
Are people so dumb these days that they don't know what reviews and reviewers are or have to use them? If you only seek out a number on the top of rotten tomatoes, then yes, it is garbage. But following individual reviewers are not garbage. "make up your own opinions" jeez. What do you even mean by that? XD come oooon. Reviewers are not dictating what you are gonna watch at all. They simply offer up their own opinion in a piece. Raaaaant.

Nov 17, 11:32 AM

none reviews do not matter to me I like to form my own opinions.

Nov 17, 11:40 AM
This hasn't happened to me. The only time when I even consider reviews is when I'm already skeptical if I want to give something a try and I need more information to make up my mind. But if I already plan to watch something, reviews won't change my mind.

Aesthetic value can be recognized or experienced, but it cannot be conveyed to those who are incapable of grasping its sensations and perceptions. To quarrel on its behalf is always a blunder.

Nov 17, 11:53 AM

None, I do usually take them in consideration but I still have to make an opinion for myself of the show.

Also the review you read is probably ultra biased considering the thing you remember most of it is the comparison with an other show, try to find some nuance in the reviews you read to get solid opinions.
Anime is cool but manga is too so if you read this and don't have a manga list you better start one or imma spank yo ass

Nov 17, 12:05 PM
no i don't give a shit about reviews , reviews are toxic sometimes .Bunny girl senpai or FLCL are some of the victims of this type of reviews , it's clearly that they all hate the show because it's popular and have high score compared to thier favorite airing anime and there are a lot of other examples .
i randomly choose one anime based on the genre of anime i want to see and i avoid overhyped anime

Nov 17, 12:19 PM

It's funny how every single commenter on here says that reviews are shit and you should form your own opinion. I think reviews are actually pretty insightful. A shows mean score for example, is actually just the average rating (reviews) of all people who've watched that certain show and I'd say that higher scoring shows are certainly more likely to make me like them. There are thousands of anime and you have to filter out some when searching for a show to watch. I tend to not really consider shows that have a mean score below 6.5 at all, unless someone recommends them to me. Also, just written reviews are often pretty insightful. When reading someones review you can often easily see whether they are trolling or not. Also, if a reviewer raises a point of criticism, I don't necessarily agree with them, but just think about whether that issue would bother me or not.
Wuut?
Btw, Chihayafuru AOTY :)

Nov 17, 1:47 PM

@Tenbun-kun I think reviews can be pretty interesting, too, but I haven't ever decided against watching something because of the reviews.

Typically I prefer to go into a show knowing not much about it, or knowing just enough to get myself interested and whet my appetite for it, and I particularly like going into something without knowing what other people think of it (both to keep my expectations from being too high or keep my judgement from clouding my enjoyment), which is why the reviews de facto "don't matter" to me before I watch something.

Nov 17, 2:31 PM

Initially I believed a very negative review about Cross Ange, but later I realized my mistake and enjoyed the series. It was also much better than Darling in the Frank

Nov 17, 2:35 PM

None that I can think of. I had the opposite problem where I would watch something people had hyped up and I end up hating it. I take reviews/suggestions with a grain of salt now.

An empty head bloomed with blossoms.

Nov 17, 2:51 PM

Not exactly a review but I didn't watch neo ranga because some guy on /m/ said that the cool tattoos on the girls appear only in the OP and on posters.
I really enjoy those "helicopter ride" memes

Nov 17, 2:55 PM
Lazy

I almost never read reviews to begin with, so none.

Nov 17, 2:57 PM

Greyleaf said:
None, because I don't let the opinions of strangers affect whether or not I think something sounds interesting.

My thoughts exactly, couldn't agree more.

Nov 17, 4:08 PM

Not once has that happened.

I dont even read reviews that much

Nov 18, 7:42 PM
You know what.....Good question um there are times where i have seen reviews of anime and i'm just like "really?..Wow" but i don't really let it go through my head if it's an anime that i want to see then i go at it because really i don't let other people's opinions get to me

Nov 18, 8:44 PM

None because I don't read review in the first place.
My Wife is a Demon Queen

Nov 19, 1:02 AM

I am not swayed b the opinions of others.
There have been instances when it took me longer to begin a sertain anime because of
the unpopular opinions or bad reviews, but I always get around to starting and if I like it, finishing the series in question.

Nov 19, 2:21 AM
Mirai Nikki is the only one. I say you need to always try a show for yourself because letting others determine you won't enjoy something easily leads to missing out on a new favorite anime.

But the first ep didn't grab me, the negatives I hear are things that have similarly bothered me in other shows, and even the positives aren't my first go to for entertainment. I will get back to it one day to see for sure, but also that day still hasn't come for almost 6 years, and I have a few hundred unwatched shows that more so appeal to me still to get through.

Nov 19, 2:48 AM
Tenbun-kun said:
It's funny how every single commenter on here says that reviews are shit and you should form your own opinion. I think reviews are actually pretty insightful. A shows mean score for example, is actually just the average rating (reviews) of all people who've watched that certain show and I'd say that higher scoring shows are certainly more likely to make me like them. There are thousands of anime and you have to filter out some when searching for a show to watch. I tend to not really consider shows that have a mean score below 6.5 at all, unless someone recommends them to me. Also, just written reviews are often pretty insightful. When reading someones review you can often easily see whether they are trolling or not. Also, if a reviewer raises a point of criticism, I don't necessarily agree with them, but just think about whether that issue would bother me or not.

I agree with this. I tend to read some of the reviews but not all (obviously). From the get go, I would place more weight on a review with a score between 3 and 9 personally, at least before reading.

You aren't obligated to take the review seriously, and it's not all that hard to tell if the person is nitpicking or ranting. Also I only really check them if I am on the fence for that anime.

Also, as the above user pointed out, the ratings on mal are just an average rating based on the opinions of the people who have watched it. A review, technically, should be far better than just looking at the score, as reasons should be given to justify the rating.

Of course not all reviews are going to be good. Some might complain about nonsensical things, like plot progression or pacing in a slice of life. Personally I would think getting recommendations from a friend who understands your taste would be a better way to decide what to watch next.

Nov 19, 11:06 AM

I'm still planning to watch Fairy Gone. I have been for the past couple of months despite its not-so-stellar reviews. I suppose that's also why I haven't jumped at it just yet. But its premise and art does interest me enough to still keep it on my watchlist.
Ya boy is going to Con+Alt+Delete 2019 in Chicago! See you there!

Nov 19, 11:15 AM
Litmus Test

Nothing specific, but usually shows that get good or great reviews don't interest me as much. 'Cause it's like, "Yeah, that show was a good as people were saying;" there's not really much of anything to add to the conversation or discussion.

As for shows that aren't highly revered, there's something to actually explore with those shows; like an actual thesis to prove since shows of that caliber can have some really redeeming albeit niche qualities that can work for specific people as opposed to just anime fans in general.

That said, I'm a contrarian.

Esquirtit said:
Rei is the most boring, fish-faced, nude
blue haired anxiety induced piece of slutty
whorish daddy issue fucking EVA deepthroating
LCL crackwhore

Nov 19, 11:17 AM

None really i just usually watch the first episode and if i like it ill continue if not i dont.

Nov 19, 11:39 AM

There have been a few, although I can't remember the names of the shows offhand, directly because I didn't add them to my ptw list after reading the reviews, so therefore don't have a record of them.

Nov 22, 11:15 PM
None, I don't care about reviews. If I want to watch it I'll watch it. I'll know if it is good just by the premise and cover alone.