Forum Settings
Forums
Nov 17, 8:30 AM
Actually I want to buy a new PC but since the GPU is going to be the most expensive part that‘s the one I‘m worried about.
I‘m going to graduate in the middle of 2020 and then I will get a job. At the beginning I will „invest“ in furniture and stuff like that but then I‘d really like to get a new PC. I already have a configuration which includes either a normal RTX 2080 or a ti/Super. Now I‘m not quite sure if it does make sense to buy such an expensive GPU that late because I suppose that in 2021 the next Nvidia generation might come out and it would be really frustrating to buy such an expensive GPU just to see a few months later a better one for the same price (and to see the price of your GPU drop rapidly). What’s your opinion on that topic?? Thank you very much for your answers!

Nov 17, 11:56 AM

If you get a 2080ti, you'll be set for quite a while. Even the 1080ti which came out quite a while ago is still holding strong compared to modern cards (almost neck and neck with the 2070 Super).

Plus, the main selling point of the RTX series is it's Ray Tracing ability, which not many games have implemented as of now (You do have a few like the new Modern Warfare and soon to release for Minecraft) so it's not like it's too late

And if you're worried about the 20 series being overtaken, it's gonna be a while before the 2080ti gets surpassed imo
'On-Hold' is another way for a completionist to say 'Dropped'

Nov 17, 12:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
Nvidia’s next generation of graphics cards, codenamed “Ampere”, will launch early due to the poor sales of the Turing architecture (2000 series). Ampere is hence rumored to launch in 2020, not 2021.

Ampere is rumored to offer greatly enhanced RT features, and the enthusiast model (3080 ti), will be offered at a lower price than 2080 ti. This price reduction can be explained by the move from 12 nm to 7 nm EUV lithography, which means a vast reduction in die size (transistors per mm). Remember that the RTX 2080 ti’s exaggerated price is due to its (giant) die size. Die size will not be a problem for Ampere.

I personally sport a GTX 1080 ti, and I’m planning to upgrade to a 3080 ti on product launch in 2020. I would advise you to do the same, because the 2000 series of graphics cards were frankly botched from the start, due to the ludicrously high price to performance.

Nov 17, 1:01 PM

Are you even playing demanding games or running demanding software?

I'd hate to see you blow over a grand on a new rig and play Fortnite and Undertale.

Nov 17, 3:09 PM
Litmus Test

Name your games, desired resolution and budget. Then we'll talk.

Esquirtit said:
Rei is the most boring, fish-faced, nude
blue haired anxiety induced piece of slutty
whorish daddy issue fucking EVA deepthroating
LCL crackwhore

Nov 17, 9:28 PM

Would make sense to buy an expensive GPU like the RTX 2080 Ti if you also have other purposes for it aside from playing AAA titles at the best visual experience possible.

Nov 17, 9:42 PM

I don't think now is the best time to buy GPU, especially if you want the best of the best, since waves of new GPUs will likely launch in early 2020 from both NVIDIA and AMD.

If you must buy PC now, you should rather get mid-tier GPU and then upgrade to high tier once these new GPUs launch.

Mid-tier GPU I recommend are RTX 2070 Super and Radeon RX 5700 XT. Both will serve as a solid card for 1440p gaming.

Nov 18, 11:03 AM
Short_Circut said:
If you get a 2080ti, you'll be set for quite a while. Even the 1080ti which came out quite a while ago is still holding strong compared to modern cards (almost neck and neck with the 2070 Super).

Plus, the main selling point of the RTX series is it's Ray Tracing ability, which not many games have implemented as of now (You do have a few like the new Modern Warfare and soon to release for Minecraft) so it's not like it's too late

And if you're worried about the 20 series being overtaken, it's gonna be a while before the 2080ti gets surpassed imo

That’s also what I thought :D

Nov 18, 11:05 AM
SolemnFuture said:
Nvidia’s next generation of graphics cards, codenamed “Ampere”, will launch early due to the poor sales of the Turing architecture (2000 series). Ampere is hence rumored to launch in 2020, not 2021.

Ampere is rumored to offer greatly enhanced RT features, and the enthusiast model (3080 ti), will be offered at a lower price than 2080 ti. This price reduction can be explained by the move from 12 nm to 7 nm EUV lithography, which means a vast reduction in die size (transistors per mm). Remember that the RTX 2080 ti’s exaggerated price is due to its (giant) die size. Die size will not be a problem for Ampere.

I personally sport a GTX 1080 ti, and I’m planning to upgrade to a 3080 ti on product launch in 2020. I would advise you to do the same, because the 2000 series of graphics cards were frankly botched from the start, due to the ludicrously high price to performance.

Thanks man, that was really helpful. I will probably get the GPU in 2020 and if that‘s true I will definitely wait for Ampere.

Nov 18, 11:23 AM
SpamuraiSensei said:
Are you even playing demanding games or running demanding software?

I'd hate to see you blow over a grand on a new rig and play Fortnite and Undertale.
NexivSelecaf said:
Name your games, desired resolution and budget. Then we'll talk.
Konradikon said:
Would make sense to buy an expensive GPU like the RTX 2080 Ti if you also have other purposes for it aside from playing AAA titles at the best visual experience possible.

Well, I don‘t really play Fortnite, I‘m more into CS:Go, Minecraft and Osu (finally I can click the circles in 4k) xD. But ofc I don‘t want to burst my money to play only those game :D
First of all I want to play (for at least a few years) the newest AAA titles at best visual experiences possible (got me there! Can‘t wait for Cyberpunk- loved TW3!). Also I want to do video editing and some sort of graphic design and I‘d like to use my Pc to stream a few times.
My budget is about 1.5k - 2k€ and since I play a few online games I think I will go for WQHD with 144hz.
Moreover I want that PC to be sustainable. I‘m still using my PC with that GT750 and I‘m going to use it for one or two more years but I think then it‘s enough :D. It was the „PC of my childhood“ and since in a few months I‘m going to earn my own money I‘d like to get a new one.

Nov 18, 2:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
Another thing I forgot to mention in my previous reply:

Intel, the CPU company, is going to join the GPU market next year. These cards are codenamed “Xe”. Yes, Intel will probably launch gaming GPUs is 2020.

This means that the GPU market will get some extra competition, which means lower pricing. This only happens if their GPUs will challenge Nvidia and AMD though.

2020 might become the best year for GPU hardware in many years. Prices might drop spectacularly, because Intel, Nvidia and AMD will fight hard to sway the customers.

With all this in mind, wait for Ampere (especially if you want to play CB2077), then see how Intel and AMD responds. Remember that Nvidia “controls” the GPU market, so AMD and Intel will probably respond with their own cards soon after.

One last thing to keep in mind is that Nvidia and CD Projekt Red (company behind CB2077) are affiliated. CB2077 launches in April, and Nvidia would probably take advantage of such a high profile game launch. Who knows? Ampere might launch at the same time, sparking an RT-tech marketing campaign.

If you’re wondering why I’m writing so much about this, it’s because I’m in a similar situation as you, and I’ve researched this quite dearly. Hope this helps!

Nov 18, 11:30 PM
SolemnFuture said:
Another thing I forgot to mention in my previous reply:

Intel, the CPU company, is going to join the GPU market next year. These cards are codenamed “Xe”. Yes, Intel will probably launch gaming GPUs is 2020.

This means that the GPU market will get some extra competition, which means lower pricing. This only happens if their GPUs will challenge Nvidia and AMD though.

2020 might become the best year for GPU hardware in many years. Prices might drop spectacularly, because Intel, Nvidia and AMD will fight hard to sway the customers.

With all this in mind, wait for Ampere (especially if you want to play CB2077), then see how Intel and AMD responds. Remember that Nvidia “controls” the GPU market, so AMD and Intel will probably respond with their own cards soon after.

One last thing to keep in mind is that Nvidia and CD Projekt Red (company behind CB2077) are affiliated. CB2077 launches in April, and Nvidia would probably take advantage of such a high profile game launch. Who knows? Ampere might launch at the same time, sparking an RT-tech marketing campaign.

If you’re wondering why I’m writing so much about this, it’s because I’m in a similar situation as you, and I’ve researched this quite dearly. Hope this helps!

That’s interesting. Ty so much for sharing what you found out so far with me