Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Vinland Saga Episode 18 Discussion

Nov 19, 2:30 PM

savtruff said:
okay, let see your argument first, I interested with your comment which were you definitely gave the Discrimination : meaning that I thought you google it this where I came from, and with Yautja is the quote system first so it brought him and he come with the word topic, like you said there's a lot of here though it nonsense, it's okay, I don't hope you all to receive that just I said before, just want to informed it, and I remember there's a lot of people here who also to tried to answered it by give their argument about the meaning discrimination and love it's not far different with my argument. Okay back to the meaning of discrimination that you googled which was I thought it from dictionary which can be revised but etymology is different, if you still thought the meaning of discrimination just like that, it's quite understable, but let me here to try to answer you again that no it's not that discrimination which the priest mean, have you watched Fune wo amu?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32948/Fune_wo_Amu?q=Fune%20wo%20
It's about the making of dictionary.

I use a search engine only to look up at a good dictionary for a precise definition which is more than you did since you replied. And after you argued with Peterson i know exactly where you are coming from.

Its quite interesting that you think that your definition or approach to the issue is the only right one and only your argument is valid.
Ego = 1 / Knowledge
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego."
A. Einstein

Nov 19, 5:44 PM
Jordan Peterson? the same guy who tell men to man up and and be responsible so that the gynocentric system can extract resources from men? the same guy who says MGTOWs are a bunch of pathetic weasels? the same guy whose daughter is a disgusting single mother?

yeah right. fuck that guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6F-oVIj3lg

that thumbnail is a great meme for a reason.
Modified by kidlat020, Nov 19, 5:56 PM
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.

Nov 19, 7:18 PM
This show is really refreshing because it doesn't rely on battles to carry it. Some of the best character development and overall writing make it one of the best and most intriguing entertainment around

Nov 19, 10:54 PM

Tears flowing when ragnar said his goodbye
Canute is amazing
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~

Nov 20, 12:01 AM
Azazin said:

I use a search engine only to look up at a good dictionary for a precise definition which is more than you did since you replied. And after you argued with Peterson i know exactly where you are coming from.

Its quite interesting that you think that your definition or approach to the issue is the only right one and only your argument is valid.

I don't act like my only argument is valid here. You also are persistent with your precise definition. I replied you with 3 example (peterson, yukimura, and about positive discrimination, I don't care with this 3 are right or no, just want you to know that there's different meaning from what you got). I searched that definition with considering other perspective, and in this point why the Priest's speech like that or from where probably yukimura got this idea.

Nov 20, 1:39 AM

death604 said:
Cyber_Icarus said:

yes you do. that's how trauma works, plus he's been struggling with his beliefs for quite a while now so it didn't come outta nowhere.

how is this a bad thing exactly? i love the nitpicking in the thread lol

rofl, you don't suddenly make a complete change of your character as if your previous character doesn't impact you.

that shit doesn't make sense even if you have a trauma or PTSD you don't suddenly change charactrer at a drop of a hat as if your previous character that had that trauma didn't affect you anymore. that shit is blatant poor writing.

also btw what trauma exactly are you talking about?

It's not that he changed, it's his inner lion all along!

Nov 20, 3:37 AM

Canute was so great here, his behavior really changed!
He earned the favorite spot in my top characters after I watched this episode.
I loved the "true love is death and human's love is discrimination" part from the priest. Really great episode.

Nov 20, 4:26 AM

A rather emotional episode at the first half, Ragnar came to say goodbye to the Prince in his dreams, what a loyal man. That part where Thorkell sent Thorfinn flying had me dying lol. Looks like that Blonde Prince finally learns the truth of their world, he has finally awoken to reality. 10/10 Character development.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia

Nov 20, 11:03 AM

All I can say is bruh...... Canute FINALLY stepping into the role of a King. It's LIT!

Dirty move by Thorkell though, that true warrior question really struck a chord with Thorfinn. Next ep is gonna be wild. I'm so hype on the development of Canute, like mannnnn how much better can it get?!

This show y'all...... sheesh! 5/5

Nov 20, 8:51 PM

everyone is saying all about Thorkell vs Thorfinn but THE KING was epic too. Every episode of this show never disappoints.

Nov 20, 11:18 PM
RavBTW said:
everyone is saying all about Thorkell vs Thorfinn but THE KING was epic too. Every episode of this show never disappoints.

I hope this proud "king" will fall.
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.

Nov 21, 2:06 AM

Thorfinn vs thorkell was a letdown.

Nov 21, 4:00 AM
Pyoung said:
I was actually looking for more of a fight between throkell and Throfinn but regardless is was a great episode.I'm curious to see what the future of canute will look like and I'm also hoping the fight between throkell and thorfinn isn't over yet. People keep talking about Canute's "development" but honestly I would call it more of an awakening.

^This. I was so fired up for an epic fight & we got something totally different instead. So even though the episode was great, I still feel kinda let down. xD

Canute's 'awakening' was awesomely executed, but also unsettling. A ruler should know how to be humble, too.

Nov 21, 4:11 AM

That fucking ending totally redeemed the prince in my view. That was a sick character development. The man was pushed to the edge and finally broke. I can't wait to see where we go from here.

Wish there was a bit more sustained focus on the fight though.

Nov 21, 6:54 AM
this was a strong episode that makes me dizzy I need to rewatch it to understand it

the fight is interesting but short and the flashback is important for some reason

so Canute changes are interesting and when I think of it the way he looks now is representing a mad king but who knows what happened if a person turned that way, well I'm expecting about him is how he lead the Danes and cause destruction to nature and creature

the way they portray the word love is rather disturbing I understand it in other aspects but I hope they translated it to the right way to the author mind and language barrier is the problem here (if I only can read the raw manga and translated it to my self I might understand a bit (and read the translated manga were I also have no plan to read))(if in case what chapter does it adopt?) and the way they portray about discrimination, is it the right word for that? I think it's not because I believe there is another relevant word to that in this case the language barrier is the problem here (or I just really don't understand)

Nov 21, 7:48 AM

That was the best episode so far, by a large margin. It feels like this is the episode I had been waiting for this whole time, even though I haven't read the manga.
YouTube (Umineko Chiru spoilers!) - VNDB - Steam

Nov 21, 8:07 AM

Well, prince's conclusion and alteration was too damn fast. Thorkell's easygoing goofy demeanor with a bit of seriousness and nobility makes him a really likeable person. I hope Thorfinn will get his lessons from these two guys, Thorkell and Askeladd, and will grow up already. And I guess Askeladd dies

Nov 21, 8:38 AM
Kira is God

Solfilius said:
People were amazed by Kimetsu No Yaiba episode 19...the same's gonna happen with this episode....what a fight!!On top of that some great character development for Canute .I dont get why people are getting so butthurt over the animation...it's pretty good.You can't expect every show to have KnY like animation.
Nor can i say that I am very happy with the animation of this episode, the fact is that Wit Studio has been falling down constantly, I do not knew what the reasons are but the animation of Wit Studio was much more detailed, expressive and dynamic before.

Nov 21, 7:25 PM
I can’t wait until the next episode after we were left with that cliffhanger!! I’m an anime only watcher so I have no idea what’s about to go down and I’m definitely rooting for Thorfinn. I look forward to every Sunday because of this anime!

Nov 22, 2:46 AM

Is this a repeat of Kimetsu no Yaiba episode 19? Sure feels like it whilst standard midway decline of Wit Studio's animation and camerawork that still is top-notch mind-blowing.

If there's one thing I noticed, most of the 2nd OP scenes are mainly directly from this episode, what a spectacular foreshadowing. What a way to get us hyped for more, and it did candidly splendid. Did anyone notice this?

The long-awaited battle that is Thorfinn vs. Thorkell, a battle for the ages. Knowledge is skill, as in Thorkell's knowledge about his family and heritage to trade for an entertaining battle against Thors's son.

But on the side of Prince Canute, his childhood that Ragnar raised was one of fondness rather than royal historics, despite the former being the life that he desires. Now that (the useless but not so useless) Ragnar is gone, he has to stand firmly on his own.

"What is love?" In the rhetorical sense of war, love means nothing, but to be treasured by the one you love, within the means as a sacrifice unto the Lord. The Bible has shown that love requires sacrifice, not a hardship, but one of sweetness. The war itself is a drastic escape of the essence of love, with it being dying in soul and spirit. ALL THAT IS THE RESULT OF SIN from the times of Adam and Eve in God's creation, that went to waste for disobedience.

With the mindset that everyone is tainted in sin, with no love to account for, only life and death, everyone's reason to live is but a matter of choices. WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT is to find yourself, and Prince Canute MADE THAT CHOICE to love without salvation, and lead as his useless father King Sweyn did. TO FIGHT WITH REASON, THAT'S THE DUTY OF A KING. He's done with playing roles and all that bullshit, HE HAS AWAKENED from his senses, abandoned religion and reasons, and instilling meaning. This is one insane character development!

More than this episode replicating KnY, it was an episode full of tears and meaning to reasons, why as humans we are kept away from God's paradise, and were made to create our own. What a phenomenal episode, and having to wait 2 weeks after is WORTH THE WAIT.
Modified by KANLen09, Nov 22, 2:49 AM

Nov 22, 5:33 AM

Kegari said:
Solfilius said:
People were amazed by Kimetsu No Yaiba episode 19...the same's gonna happen with this episode....what a fight!!On top of that some great character development for Canute .I dont get why people are getting so butthurt over the animation...it's pretty good.You can't expect every show to have KnY like animation.
Nor can i say that I am very happy with the animation of this episode, the fact is that Wit Studio has been falling down constantly, I do not knew what the reasons are but the animation of Wit Studio was much more detailed, expressive and dynamic before.

I think the issue is staff overwork along with focusing too much on making the backgrounds pretty rather than the character models.

Nov 22, 7:14 AM

It was just an another great episode! Canute's behivors changed incredibly! I can't wait to see the next episode :)

Nov 22, 2:01 PM
Finally the breakthrough I've been waiting for, Canute has finally done it. His words
will from now on, shake people to the core.
HAIL VINLAND SAGA I LOVE YOU

Nov 22, 9:13 PM
Wow, Canute is really cool, man...really, the best statement in anime world I think hahaha. Really curious about what will happen to Thorfinn next, but one think is you really need to understand what is your goal and can you achieve it with you current state? If not, then change, change yourself, become stronger, tougher...

Nov 23, 1:30 PM

"Last goodbye" from Ragnar scene was really good.

Thorkell vs. Thorfinn was an intense fight. The best moment was when Thorkell ripped his coat and few moments later performed that ultra kick. xD

The way the creators showed rage of a berserker was also really realistic.

However, I didn't like Canute in this episode. His change is one of the most sudden (and therefore naive) I have ever seen in seinens, reminding me of shounens with way more simply plot than very mature seinen like "Vinland Saga". The drunk priest annoys me as well. He mixes his theological knowledge with random existential thoughts he has mostly after drinking a lot of alcohol.

@Abel97 , I don't want to argue or something, but instant change from whiny and sensible teenager to a chad with messianic delusions was kinda... awkward. True, trauma is not always the same and I guess many of those who disliked Canute's personality's change know it very well. It was just too sudden for a character like Canute as we met him and learned about what he did in his past. Nothing really looked like as if he had hidden potential like that.
Besides, knowing real Canute's history, I didn't like his depiction in this show anyway, because I knew from the beginning that he is gonna change to a badass one time. And that instant evolution, from very weak to very strong, is one of themes I dislike in various shows, not only in animes.
Modified by Adnash93, Nov 23, 1:35 PM

Nov 23, 2:37 PM

Every time I rewatched this episode I learned more. It's just too deep that one can get different interpretations. Canute's change might be too sudden but let's not forget that he's not dumb, he's smarter than he looks. And I believe he's seen cruelty enough, burdened by being a royalty. So I disagree that it's an instant change, he just snap but it's not an instant change.

Nov 23, 7:18 PM

At last! Canute has finally awakened! that was EPIC! event the OST!
5/5.

Nov 23, 8:37 PM

I just hope Thorfinn still keeps calling Canute "Princess" because that is funny.

This was easily the best episode, but still Canute's awakening is a little bit extreme. Basically someone goes from "I can't stand these people" to "I'll give meaning to your lives"... I don't know. It's almost the same as with Thorfinn and how he became an edgy killer because his dad is dead. Also the fight agains Thorkell was underwhelming, but I expected something like that considering the difference on skill and most importantly experience.

Nov 23, 9:42 PM

Well, I was quick to love that episode. Just having Thorfinn and Thorkell fight is just pure excitement. Also, damn, took me a while, but Ragnar really DOES have a conehead... naturally, his goodbye was saddening, especially since it happens in a dream.

Plus, Berserk Bjorn is good fun to watch and just gave me the idea to create a fun Monk/Barbarian in D&D (I'll find a way to make it work). Then Canute just fuckin' STARES a Berserker down.

"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (I'm looking at you, To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases when I blabber on about them.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory', and small breasts justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Nov 24, 3:30 AM

damn, is Canute going to be a badass now?

Nov 24, 3:53 AM
I really don't like this tioe of character development this is not like Torfin who trained to become stronger. Wtf he see dead Ragnar bum supper power no one can touch him he don't listen to any wtf i hate this shit

Nov 24, 10:53 PM
damn, he big boy now, also this was so nasty, when can I stop seeing limbs cut off explicitly?

i was surprised by the amount of christian references used in this, i'm a christian myself and i guess i can say that it was more or less accurate maybe? like out of context?

Nov 25, 3:31 PM
Forum Moderator
Thread cleaned

Please refrain from starting arguments or upsetting users by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages with the intent of provoking users into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion (I.E Trolling) All this does is greatly derail threads with personal arguments and insults.
We can be happy, when the cicadas cry.

Nov 25, 4:23 PM
I really don't understand Canute's line of thinking and how you all are praising it

>God's love is discriminatory because only some people get saved

No, it's not discriminatory because EVERYONE is saved but they have to CHOOSE to be saved (believe that Christ died for their sins)

Nov 25, 8:35 PM
ilold said:
I really don't understand Canute's line of thinking and how you all are praising it

No, it's not discriminatory because EVERYONE is saved but they have to CHOOSE to be saved (believe that Christ died for their sins)

It’s not saying that God’s love is discriminatory, curious as to where did you get that from. It is saying that there is a difference between love and discrimination, and that nobody gets saved, because as long as we live we cannot love, therefore can never reach heaven.

Hence why Canute tells God that Bjorn cannot pass the trials that he has set for Bjorn, and why Canute says he’ll make a paradise on earth rather than heaven.

Also, I don’t think that most people here are praising this way of thinking because they agree with it. It’s probably because of how introspective this is, a nihilistic twist on God and Christianity.

I remember a comment on YouTube saying that the core of this ideology is that humans are just not capable of loving equally, no matter how hard they try. Just wanted to tack this on here because I think this is a pretty apt description of Canute and the priest’s way of thinking.
Modified by Jaegerbomb_106, Nov 25, 9:04 PM

Nov 26, 6:11 AM
Jaegerbomb_106 said:
ilold said:

It’s not saying that God’s love is discriminatory, curious as to where did you get that from. It is saying that there is a difference between love and discrimination, and that nobody gets saved, because as long as we live we cannot love, therefore can never reach heaven.

Hence why Canute tells God that Bjorn cannot pass the trials that he has set for Bjorn, and why Canute says he’ll make a paradise on earth rather than heaven.

Also, I don’t think that most people here are praising this way of thinking because they agree with it. It’s probably because of how introspective this is, a nihilistic twist on God and Christianity.

I remember a comment on YouTube saying that the core of this ideology is that humans are just not capable of loving equally, no matter how hard they try. Just wanted to tack this on here because I think this is a pretty apt description of Canute and the priest’s way of thinking.

some people have said that because of the priests response on how death/nature is love (eg. light shines on saint and sinner, non discriminatory)

As for Canutes thinking that Bjorn cannot pass the trials, he mistakenly thinks that God purposely stonewalls Bjorn from believing in him (not true). Bjorn had his chance to believe God's word but he didn't believe. That is freewill.

There will be some who die and don't have the chance to hear his message, God will judge them accordingly.

Nov 26, 8:44 AM
ilold said:
Jaegerbomb_106 said:

some people have said that because of the priests response on how death/nature is love (eg. light shines on saint and sinner, non discriminatory)

As for Canutes thinking that Bjorn cannot pass the trials, he mistakenly thinks that God purposely stonewalls Bjorn from believing in him (not true). Bjorn had his chance to believe God's word but he didn't believe. That is freewill.

There will be some who die and don't have the chance to hear his message, God will judge them accordingly.

I don’t think the free will to choose to believe in God is really the point of religion in this episode. Anybody can choose to believe, but Canute no longer believes that there is any point to follow God anymore, because no one will ever reach heaven with the impossible trials set for them by god. This view might have been inspired by The Grand Inquisitor, an interesting poem similar to the nihilistic view on Christianity that the priest believes in.

The priest said we became beasts incapable of love because we were expelled from paradise, and is the reason why we can never make it to paradise.

There’s actually a video on analyzing this view of love and I’d recommend nd it, because he could probably explain it better than I can: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n6D7x9Ua-wk
Modified by Jaegerbomb_106, Nov 26, 8:47 AM

Nov 26, 12:54 PM

emraanash said:
this story had potential, awesome characters, great animation.... but lack of story length and short action scene this is just a simple anime. Its a shame!

If Production I.G, Wit Studio wasn't related to this show no one would have watched it.

Just go back to your shounen already.

o/

Nov 26, 2:26 PM

It's crazy to me how a beast-like Thorkell openly admits his inferiority in battle against Thors. It puts some great respect on my man's name, I love it.
As hard as it is to admit, Askeladd's decision of assassinating Ragnar did wake up Canute.

ilold said:

Being saved is subjective to everybody's belief, It is apparent that you are a Christian for believing that Jesus died for our sins is what saves you, but for other religions, it's another thing.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
Modified by fancyjasper, Nov 29, 1:58 PM

Nov 27, 8:04 AM
Jaegerbomb_106 said:
ilold said:

I don’t think the free will to choose to believe in God is really the point of religion in this episode. Anybody can choose to believe, but Canute no longer believes that there is any point to follow God anymore, because no one will ever reach heaven with the impossible trials set for them by god. This view might have been inspired by The Grand Inquisitor, an interesting poem similar to the nihilistic view on Christianity that the priest believes in.

The priest said we became beasts incapable of love because we were expelled from paradise, and is the reason why we can never make it to paradise.

There’s actually a video on analyzing this view of love and I’d recommend nd it, because he could probably explain it better than I can: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n6D7x9Ua-wk

"but Canute no longer believes that there is any point to follow God anymore, because no one will ever reach heaven with the impossible trials set for them by god. "

Which is why Jesus died for our sins so we (who are supposed to be impossibly far from God) have the chance to reach paradise.

Nov 27, 12:40 PM

More deep talk about love, and nice finally Canute acts like a leader

Nov 29, 3:26 AM

I still think this was a bit sudden but possible to happen, I really enjoyed this one. 5/5
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Nov 29, 1:15 PM
Raizel said:
I still think this was a bit sudden but possible to happen, I really enjoyed this one. 5/5
I agree. A more gradual awakening would have been better. Nonetheless, it works. The steps the story takes to get there, from point A to Z, are logical. Also, while many may find the priest's philosophy objectionable, it's impressive how he transforms from, seemingly, EP11 comic relief into a character with an important role in how Canute's story has played out.

Dec 2, 1:32 PM

Things are getting super awesome.

Dec 3, 8:49 AM

Sure one of the best episodes I saw this year. I love Canute character so much, I'll definitely start the manga after this season.

Yesterday, 5:36 PM
This was a great episode. Very emotional ~ especially at the beginning. Thorkell and Thorfinns fight was quite interesting. Looks like Canute has finally found"his true self". Can't wait to watch the next episode.

Yesterday, 9:02 PM

It seems like the most popular episodes of Vinland Saga are the most divisive.
I genuinely never expected this.

9 hours ago

Talk about character development! Canute has finally woke up and he definitely stole the episode!

"Let me keep believing... so that I can keep on living."

Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

Preview MangaManga Store