Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Nov 18, 2019 3:51 PM
Aug 2019
death604 said:
najumobi said:
Ah. I see what you're getting at. Why he's confident now, while earlier he was cautious?

He said he was cautious but that was a while ago when they were in Wales (EP13), at least several weeks ago, before winter began and hundreds of miles from where they are now. Since then, he stood by while a village of people, and then his father-figure died for him.

He was already "book smart", knowing the role and significance of being in the royal family. And he's showed he at least had the fortitude to defy his father by signing a treaty (diplomatic stuff). But Ragnar unintentionally enabled his bystander mentality. Thorkell asks the prince a question, but Ragnar answers. Gratianus asks the prince a question, but Ragnar answers. This is why Asklaad killed him.

It's more complicated than this, but even on the surface level you get the picture of someone who is fed up with being bystander, while people, in this case Asklaad's men, are dying for him. The priest actually says this to him.

the issue isn't the why, but the lack of development towards his characterization now. it was never built up, and is sudden hence its a bad character development. he has never exhibitted a leader persona prior to this hence the character development going to his current personality is bad.

Gotcha. Hmm..

I believe his development started with his conversation with Thorfinn. Deciding to sign the treaty. Being complicit in carrying out a massacre. Having a clash of ideologies with the priest who is challenging his world-view. Struggling to reconcile his world-view to what he's experiencing first-hand. Having to face the reality of Ragnar's death. And finding a purpose after successfully coming to terms with everything he's recently experienced.

He's studied what a king is supposed to do. But now he has motivation and freedom to do so. He's barely leader. Technically, someone who has studied a book on how to drive & has driven up to 10 mph is a driver, but barely.
Nov 18, 2019 3:59 PM
Aug 2019
RealTheAbsurdist said:

That...makes a lot of sense, now that you explain it. But I think the story could've done a better job at showing specifically that Canute wasn't afraid of the violence around him. I do think it's definitely confusing why people think Canute's philosophical transformation was spontaneous, because as you said, the anime had quite been building up to it. But then again, most of us are watching this anime weekly, so we could be forgetting a lot of details.

I definitely agree with you. A greater spotlight on Canute overall would have been helpful.
Nov 18, 2019 5:11 PM

Apr 2019
Xelecus said:

BUT .. I wished that they put his development in another episode. They'd rather focus on the fight in this episode and after it ends, we get to see the new version of Caunte.

Overall 5/5 episode but could be better ofc.

The development it's the same in the manga, if they put it in another episode they ruined everything in my opinion.And there's only 6 episodes left anyway...
Nov 18, 2019 5:53 PM

Jul 2016
god nobody cares about that stupid prince. he belongs in the useless protagonist trope.

just show the fight of Thorfinn and thorkell.

the moms of the people who remove signatures are hœs
discord: Jotaakuu#8878

Nov 18, 2019 6:43 PM

Oct 2016
So the prince finally snaps, after being brainwashed by the communist teachings of the priest. Now he deludes himself on being a king. Meanwhile, Thorfinn tastes a much-expected defeat at the hands of Thorkell, after putting on some show. I wonder how will Thorkell react upon knowing about the death of Thors and what would he say about Thors's definition of a true warrior.
Nov 18, 2019 7:02 PM

Aug 2017
Otaakuu said:
god nobody cares about that stupid prince. he belongs in the useless protagonist trope.

just show the fight of Thorfinn and thorkell.

"God nobody cares about that stupid prince".

Uhhhhhh this entire thread is filled with people praising Canute's development. So yes plenty of people do care about him dude & calling him a useless protagonist is missing the point of him completely.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Nov 18, 2019 7:37 PM

Jan 2019
People are forgetting that Vinland Saga is mostly character driven. This episode was more than just action sequences. It was very introspective in terms of character.
This isn't Shonen, Thorkell vs Thorfinn isn't just a duel for the sake of fighting, but for character interaction. It has a good blend with Canute's introspection and awakening as well.

About Canute's "sudden" change, his entire mindset was completely shattered after Ragnar's death. After realizing that his former mindset was already shattered to begin with as love doesn't exist in humans to begin with, betrayed by God and his father, he finds a resolution, to stand up against God and make a paradise that God took away from him. Canute also had previous experience of doing royal duties, signing treaties, telling Thorfinn his reasoning (whether it be an excuse or not). He was just shy and didn't care about everything except for Ragnar. Like in the anime the "fog has lifted", he can now see what the world is now and has discovered a new ambition that gives becoming king a purpose.

A sleeping ambition has now woken up.
Amazing writing.
Nov 18, 2019 7:47 PM

Mar 2016
animejas said:
Canute was my favorite in the manga for so long, and I'm glad the anime portrayed him extremely well in this episode.

What a phenomenal episode in general, and a rebound from last week too.

Do you personally think the manga did that moment with Canute better, or the adaptation?
Nov 18, 2019 8:02 PM
Oct 2018
My favorite episode of vinland saga yet. Apart from thorfonn vs thorkell, I didn't expect such an insane character development from canute in this episode. Priest's speech about love and death gave me chills.
Florent3571 said:
Frankly I don't know what to say at this point, this is an amazing story.

Canute's development was wonderful and his final scene with Ragnar was very moving.

I checked the manga to compare the art and frankly this time around the anime does it quite justice, of course Bjorn's rage is more bloody in the manga, but the feelings were all there, the work on Canute's face was impeccable.

If Thorfinn vs Thorkhell is to end next week, I hope we can be expecting a real sakuga fest, maybe even Imai's comeback.

Haven't read the manga but the mention of sakuga does make me really hyped.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
FancyjasperNov 25, 2019 2:27 PM
Nov 18, 2019 8:53 PM

May 2015
1 canute wasn't a coward,he was diffident and cautious,he's scared to talk to other people because he talked only with ragnar for his whole life.

2 canute experienced violence since he was a kid,his brothers tried to kill each others for the throne,this made him cautious for everything,being careful to not attract the attention of others to survive.

3 then ragnar raised him and changed his personality to the one he had before this episode

4 he questioned god and his father love since he was introduced,he's delusional.

5 ragnar death shattered his whole world, he's the only one that loved him and a father figure to canute.

6 he talk about love with the priest that breaks all of his delusions about god and his father.

7 this personality that he have now is his true nature, he gets out the shell.
nanashi796Nov 18, 2019 8:59 PM
Nov 18, 2019 9:04 PM

Feb 2015
deg said:
i do not get what is love they are talking about lol i only get that ye there might be no love in the hearts of humans so Canute decided that Gods trials and tests are not worth shit to develop that love they are seeking or even the paradise they wanted to have so he will do it instead of their shitty God

Hegar said:
The philosophizing was nonsense. Love is when you identify with someone else, or with an animal or a person if you will. Someone else's happiness is your happiness, someone else's sadness is your sadness. It is an instinct that evolved to keep people together.

There is way too much philosophizing and singing about love, because it is easy. You can make the song and anyone can listen to it, since no one can object to love. But it then becomes this big metaphysical thing that people try to twist to fit what they want it to fit.

And "discrimination"? To love one person but not everyone is "discrimination" and therefore not love? I sure hope the words meant something else in Japanese.

Yea, I agree, that particular bit seemed like a bunch of pseudo-intellectual / pseudo-philosophical bullshit worthy of r/im14andthisisdeep. IMO, it seemed like one of those "whole lot of talking, but not much being said" moments. Because of that, I find Canute's development, putting aside the fact it was so radical, even less impactful and believable. 99% of the time such insanely abstract things are brought up, whether it be in fiction or IRL, it just seems corny and to be trying too hard. Like I get this is appealing to teenagers and young men, but that was really pushing it.

And before I get some biblethumper, the bible is so insanely inconsistent about literally everything within it and what it preaches, so that's a total nonstarter. The bible is one of the original cherrypicking devices, and fantastic oldschool example of what a hypocrite is.

At least Thorfinn getting tripped up at a non-impressive question makes sense due the sentimental history.
Nov 18, 2019 9:28 PM

May 2015
Yautja said:
deg said:
i do not get what is love they are talking about lol i only get that ye there might be no love in the hearts of humans so Canute decided that Gods trials and tests are not worth shit to develop that love they are seeking or even the paradise they wanted to have so he will do it instead of their shitty God

Hegar said:
The philosophizing was nonsense. Love is when you identify with someone else, or with an animal or a person if you will. Someone else's happiness is your happiness, someone else's sadness is your sadness. It is an instinct that evolved to keep people together.

There is way too much philosophizing and singing about love, because it is easy. You can make the song and anyone can listen to it, since no one can object to love. But it then becomes this big metaphysical thing that people try to twist to fit what they want it to fit.

And "discrimination"? To love one person but not everyone is "discrimination" and therefore not love? I sure hope the words meant something else in Japanese.

Yea, I agree, that particular bit seemed like a bunch of pseudo-intellectual / pseudo-philosophical bullshit worthy of r/im14andthisisdeep. IMO, it seemed like one of those "whole lot of talking, but not much being said" moments. Because of that, I find Canute's development, putting aside the fact it was so radical, even less impactful and believable. 99% of the time such insanely abstract things are brought up, whether it be in fiction or IRL, it just seems corny and to be trying too hard. Like I get this is appealing to teenagers and young men, but that was really pushing it.

And before I get some biblethumper, the bible is so insanely inconsistent about literally everything within it and what it preaches, so that's a total nonstarter. The bible is one of the original cherrypicking devices, and fantastic oldschool example of what a hypocrite is.

At least Thorfinn getting tripped up at a non-impressive question makes sense due the sentimental history.
but he's right if you love one you discriminate others that normal, he talks about true love, the one god is supposed to have for everything and everyone,ragnar didn't do anything to save the village people,he choose canute over them thats discrimination,that's the philosophy that thors have,killing others to save the one you love is bad,no lives matter more than others, all lives have the same value,that's what he means to be a true warrior,the priest said that the the death is the perfect form of love because when you're dead you can't do anything bad and only being useful to the others forms of life and the earth,obviously this form of love is impossible to have due to the nature of humans.
nanashi796Nov 18, 2019 9:36 PM
Nov 18, 2019 9:55 PM

Jul 2016
Goddamn, quite the epiphany Canute went through. Without a doubt, the highlight of the episode and though his change of convictions happened in a quicker way than expected, it was still quite enjoyable to see.
Regarding the same sequence, I found the priest's concept of "love" a bit... tangled for my taste but I guess it's fitting considering the time period. That said, I still really liked the philosophical tone the whole interaction between them had.
Nov 18, 2019 10:53 PM

May 2019
Damn, an amazing episode again. A load of characterisation and the dichotomy between Thorfinn and Canute was really evident in this episode. The thematic concerns expressed through both of their characters were on full display here, bouncing back and forth. Really well choreographed; often that can be very tricky to pull off.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Nov 18, 2019 11:08 PM
Feb 2015
This episode is my favorite in manga, i'm glad they covered 3½ chapter (ch.36-a half of ch.39) in just one episode consider it remain still 6 ep and the show should finished at ch.54, but yeah we got thorfinn vs Thorkell shortened and it doesn't matter because next week the duel still continue, it remain 15 chapters so I guess 2 or 2½ chapter for next week, the duel will long enough. For who not satisfied with this episode because of thorfinn-thorkell fight was short, I know you "love" fight or battle in this show and it waste your 2 week waiting but then you give this episode score 2/5,, that's "discrimination". The priest's speech make sense after all. Do I discriminate other with this comment? I love this episode, just look my avatar, I also waited more than two weeks for this episode.
Nov 18, 2019 11:50 PM

Feb 2019
The dialogue between Canute and Willibald was superb. It delves deep into what love truly is. Although I can't say I agree with the conclusion Canute reached about not accepting God's salvation, I can say that Canute becoming confident and such a badass was awesome. It gave me chills. As someone who likes history and who has read about Canute the Great, this episode and specifically the final scene was the moment when I finally thought, "THIS is Canute the Great."

The fight was awesome too. Thorfinn is a match for Thorkell, or at least just slightly below. Even Askeladd isn't. Thorfinn truly is the son of Thors. Although I like the legendary fight between Thorfinn and Thorkell as much as the next guy, I can't help but want these two to be on the same side. Unlike Askeladd who's basically an outlaw, Thorkell seems like a real warrior and someone who served with Thors.
Nov 19, 2019 1:24 AM
Sep 2019
death604 said:
Gabisu said:

the whole cause drives change, I said right there is as if the canute's own mind exploded, just as Thorfinn went from a sensible, silly child to a boy who only sees a thought around him, the anger that culminates in his own his character. Here is the scorn that culminates in Canute, he just changed his perspective, and his poclamation (the scene with Bjorn) is like a release, he's being naive, but it's still understandable, he wants to stop it all by himself, after of absorbing ideas, is it so hard to understand that someone who has never had another person to show you the world, changed your perspective in front of someone "wise"? Just as there are people who change their mind and perspective repeatedly (here in this thread) because of words.

1-Fatherly love
2-Reaction to cruelty
3-obfuscation of this reality with the love that is given
4-Being put into battle to die
5-Being spoiled and loved as always
6-Keeping closed in various situations
7-For the first time he opens to the point of discuss with Thorfinn
8-Seeing a massacre and pray for the victims
9-Refuses to accept that someone is questioning God
10-The Death of the Love He Had Before
11-Shaken at death
12-In your dreams still proving fragile
13-Still in his dreams he breaks free and looks at reality
14-Discuss the first idea of ​​love with the priest
15-Understand this idea and show indignation
16-Wish for the scenery to change
17-He is disappointed because he will not change
18-He decides to change it himself
Just thinking about God's promised paradise
20-Try to act on Bjorn's figure as a test of God
(Remembering the fact that they are all barbarians who kill themselves because they want to)
21-Decides to follow this thought and go to Thorkell, even if it is wrong
22-He needs to get strong if he wants to talk to these guys without losing his composure

I made all the tickets easier for you

again its like you guys aren't even reading the posts. the issue is about the abruptness of the change of personality he's become a polar opposite of his previous character in a snap of a finger simply because he had a revelation moment? that shit doesn't make sense nor is even believable. there was no development to his character that shows he's gonna point towards this type of personality which makes it a bad character development

Traumas are not organic.

Canute had been in shock and mourning since Ragnar died, at which time the mourning was over, along with his faith and his ideas about love. Trauma, based on his story and innocence, that went along with Ragnar's mourning. It's not "organic", it's sudden, because that's how trauma works. I'll take as an example possible situations: he could go into depression and kill himself because "no one loves him anymore", he could rebel against the world for "injustice", he could rebel against his own Vikings, but his answer was another, for what the priest said.
Nov 19, 2019 1:31 AM

Apr 2019
savtruff said:
This episode is my favorite in manga, i'm glad they covered 3½ chapter (ch.36-a half of ch.39) in just one episode consider it remain still 6 ep and the show should finished at ch.54, but yeah we got thorfinn vs Thorkell shortened and it doesn't matter because next week the duel still continue, it remain 15 chapters so I guess 2 or 2½ chapter for next week, the duel will long enough. For who not satisfied with this episode because of thorfinn-thorkell fight was short, I know you "love" fight or battle in this show and it waste your 2 week waiting but then you give this episode score 2/5,, that's "discrimination". The priest's speech make sense after all. Do I discriminate other with this comment? I love this episode, just look my avatar, I also waited more than two weeks for this episode.

100% agree with this,for me Wit is doing a really good job with the adaptation...i admit it,as a manga fan i can't wait for the next episodes.
Nov 19, 2019 2:01 AM

Oct 2018
Cyber_Icarus said:
emraanash said:

war should have been the main focus....... there aren't many characters...

you don't need 100 different characters to make a compelling character drama.

yeah with 3 or 4 characters you can make vinland saga... good job so far...

ttcchen said:
emraanash said:

I have watched 18 episode but I didn't understand the plot? okay, go on.... tell me about it...
aint gonna waste my time to entertain you

yeah, already wasted so many times in this trash anime.
FancyjasperNov 25, 2019 3:09 PM
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Nov 19, 2019 3:52 AM

Aug 2016
nanashi796 said:
Yautja said:

but he's right if you love one you discriminate others that normal, he talks about true love, the one god is supposed to have for everything and everyone,ragnar didn't do anything to save the village people,he choose canute over them thats discrimination,that's the philosophy that thors have,killing others to save the one you love is bad,no lives matter more than others, all lives have the same value,that's what he means to be a true warrior,the priest said that the the death is the perfect form of love because when you're dead you can't do anything bad and only being useful to the others forms of life and the earth,obviously this form of love is impossible to have due to the nature of humans.

Discrimination has a different meaning:discrimination: "treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination."

It would be stupid to say that a father who loves his child is discriminating other children because he loves only his child.

But you are right that the priest was talking about the unconditional love of God, still the word discrimination for 'normal love' is simply misplaced (maybe translation error?).

I agree with the people here who are saying that the philosophical topic was not convincing, as well as the more or less sudden transformation of Canute.
Ego = 1 / Knowledge | "More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego." Albert Einstein
My ratings:
Nov 19, 2019 4:11 AM

Jan 2019
Azazin said:

I agree with the people here who are saying that the philosophical topic was not convincing, as well as the more or less sudden transformation of Canute.

In the end, it was all to change Canute's perspective. Regardless of whether it was right or wrong. It goes well with the setting anyways.
However, there have been many justifications in this thread regarding Canute's sudden change including my own personal one. I'd recommend reading them, even if you're not convinced.
Nov 19, 2019 4:16 AM

Aug 2016
Oh damn, episode first starts with making me cry, saying goodbye to Ragnar, then it ends with growing some balls.

Damn. Princess transformation to Griffith just begun.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 19, 2019 4:23 AM

May 2015
Azazin said:
nanashi796 said:

Discrimination has a different meaning:discrimination: "treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination."

It would be stupid to say that a father who loves his child is discriminating other children because he loves only his child.

But you are right that the priest was talking about the unconditional love of God, still the word discrimination for 'normal love' is simply misplaced (maybe translation error?).

love doesn't exist without discrimination or prejudice,if you love someone you automatically prioritize him to others,that's called discrimination,the life of others have the same value of the one you love.
nanashi796Nov 19, 2019 4:38 AM
Nov 19, 2019 4:32 AM
Feb 2015
Azazin said:
nanashi796 said:

In negative connotation yes that is discrimination meaning, but you're not enough googling it. In simple meaning discrimination like you said it just mean distinction. It can be mean diversity or separation. Okay I'm googling it too. Discrimination : "recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another".eg.
"discrimination between right and wrong" from Oxford btw...lol... So I think the priest's speech make sense. Like Love is also have many meaning from agape, eros, in this part the priest's love is agape. And not only Makoto yukimura brought this concept, you can search falling in love is discrimination by Jordan peterson. I think it's up to you to receive that concept.
savtruffNov 19, 2019 4:40 AM
Nov 19, 2019 5:29 AM

Aug 2016
For those who say love is discrimination... sorry but this is typical Jordan Peterson nonsense:
See here: Falling In Love Is Discrimination

But this is a more political position he is taking: If love is discrimination, nearly everything is discrimination (like friendship) which is shifting the focus away from real discrimination based on i.e. gender or ethnicity.

I still think this is the proper use of the word:
"treating a person or particular group of people differently, especially in a worse way from the way in which you treat other people, because of their skin colour, sex, sexuality, etc.: "
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/de/worterbuch/englisch/discrimination

And i would insist that here is a difference between discrimination in the above mentioned context (of law for example) and individual preferences when it comes to love/friendship etc..
https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/
AzazinNov 19, 2019 5:51 AM
Ego = 1 / Knowledge | "More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego." Albert Einstein
My ratings:
Nov 19, 2019 5:55 AM

Feb 2015
nanashi796 said:
nanashi796 said:
love doesn't exist without discrimination or prejudice,if you love someone you automatically prioritize him to others,that's called discrimination,the life of others have the same value of the one you love.

savtruff said:
In negative connotation yes that is discrimination meaning, but you're not enough googling it. In simple meaning discrimination like you said it just mean distinction. It can be mean diversity or separation. Okay I'm googling it too. Discrimination : "recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another".eg.
"discrimination between right and wrong" from Oxford btw...lol... So I think the priest's speech make sense. Like Love is also have many meaning from agape, eros, in this part the priest's love is agape. And not only Makoto yukimura brought this concept, you can search falling in love is discrimination by Jordan peterson. I think it's up to you to receive that concept.

I've got one word for you two. Equivocation. You two, and Peterson, are buying into a misleading fallacy at best. A "technically right" argument. Just because being selective means excluding others, does not mean you're being "discriminatory" in the truest and majority sense of the word.

If you actually think anyone is going to buy that bullshit "god is suppose to love everyone" argument, you're relying on ignorance. If you make me break out a bible and list off every example of the Christian god being an absolute "discriminatory" piece shit, we're going to be here for the next week. And that childish ass philosophy of "killing is wrong no matter what" can get fucked.
No, all lives don't have the same "value", depending on your interpretation, simply because value means monetary worth, merit or importance. And I can tell you for 100% fucking sure, Elon Musk has way more value than me.
The real world isn't rainbows and sunshine or black and white. If you're going to be arguing in favor of a philosophy that says defending the people you care about is bad, my god, go to the fucking Vatican, because you've already got the self-righteousness, ignorance and arrogance down, and clearly buy into the bullshit propoganda, might as well make it official. Putting aside the fact that such a philosophy is insanely nonfunctional, the entire basis for it is fundamentally flawed and at best is a childish opinion that I and the majority of humans that have ever existed do not accept.
Love isn't defined as "doing nothing bad and being useful".
YautjaNov 19, 2019 6:09 AM
Nov 19, 2019 6:06 AM

May 2015
Yautja said:
nanashi796 said:
nanashi796 said:

savtruff said:

I've got one word for you two. Equivocation. You two, and Peterson, are buying into a misleading fallacy at best. A "technically right" argument. Just because being selective means excluding others, does not mean you're being "discriminatory" in the truest and majority sense of the word.

If you actually think anyone is going to buy that bullshit "god is suppose to love everyone" argument, you're relying on ignorance. If you make me break out a bible and list off every example of the Christian god being an absolute "discriminatory" piece shit, we're going to be here for the next week. And that childish ass philosophy of "killing is wrong no matter what" can get fucked.
No, all lives don't have the same "value", depending on your interpretation, simply because value means monetary worth, merit or importance. And I can tell you for 100% fucking sure, Elon Musk has way more value than me.
The real word isn't rainbows and sunshine or black and white. If you're going to be arguing in favor of a philosophy that says defending the people you care about is bad, my god, go to a fucking monastery, because you've already got the self-righteousness, ignorance and arrogance down, might as well make it official.
lol i just explained what the priest meant with that,people merit doesn't matter,he thinks that all lives have the same importance,still he's right about the fact that when you love one you are prioritizing him to others without even knowing it.
nanashi796Nov 19, 2019 6:14 AM
Nov 19, 2019 6:14 AM

Feb 2015
nanashi796 said:
Yautja said:

The real word isn't rainbows and sunshine or black and white. If you're going to be arguing in favor of a philosophy that says defending the people you care about is bad, my god, go to a fucking monastery, because you've already got the self-righteousness, ignorance and arrogance down, might as well make it official.
lol i just explained what the priest meant with that,people merit doesn't matter,he thinks that all lives have the same importance,still he's right about the fact that when you love one you are prioritizing him to others without even knowing it.

And I just explained why that priest is full of shit; he's a drunkard with a half-assed pseudo-intellectual / pseudo-philosophical understanding of the words he's using, preaching about a god and he barely understands & knows about.

He may have that opinion, but that opinion, based on the definition of the words value and merit, is factually and semantically, wrong.

Yea, and prioritizing or favoring someone you know and care about isn't "discrimination" in the proper sense of the word.

That one word, "equivocation" fractures the entirety of his and your argument. That whole schpeel was a bunch of bullshit that won't stand up to the slightest scrutiny.
Nov 19, 2019 6:21 AM

May 2015
Yautja said:
nanashi796 said:

And I just explained why that priest is full of shit; he's a drunkard with a half-assed pseudo-intellectual / pseudo-philosophical understanding of the words he's using, preaching about a god and he barely understands & knows about.

He may have that opinion, but that opinion, based on the definition of the words value and merit, is factually and semantically, wrong.

Yea, and prioritizing or favoring someone you know and care about isn't "discrimination" in the proper sense of the word.

That one word, "equivocation" fractures the entirety of his and your argument. That whole schpeel was a bunch of bullshit that won't stand up to the slightest scrutiny.
he doesn't mean discrimination in the sense we use that now.
Nov 19, 2019 6:22 AM

Nov 2019
Another great episode. Vinland Saga once again proves it’s far more interested in exploring certain themes and questions than in thrilling its audience with spectacular violence.

Canute and Ragnar's scene was really touching (and gorgeously animated). And Ono Kensho proved throughout the entire episode how perfect his casting as Canute was.

The verbal exchange between Thorfinn and Thorkell was very significant for their characters, particularly the latter. As fun and entertaining as he’s been from the start, I greatly welcome seeing this more introspective side of Thorkell, where he reveals that even he feels incomplete and lacking in something amidst this world full of war and violence. It gives his character a whole new layer and dimension that makes him that much more interesting. His question also gives Thorfinn yet another chance to remember Thors and his words and deeds, but this only makes the boy angry, because the sad truth is he doesn’t want to think about that too deeply, probably because on some subconscious level he’s afraid of facing the fact that he’s become the complete opposite of what his father wished for him to be (and was himself).

Couldn't help but notice they removed one of Askeladd's lines after Thorfinn fell into the trees. And the other was translated differently here, so all we got was a boring "I've lost all hope now." In the manga it was more interesting: "There goes my final pawn... now I'm really out of moves." Of course, little does he know that his gamble of killing Ragnar and betting on Canute growing up and becoming his own man has completely paid off now. Guess his luck hasn’t completely run out like his men had assumed.
Nov 19, 2019 6:24 AM

Feb 2015
nanashi796 said:
Yautja said:

One simple word. Equivocation: a fallacy caused by the double meaning of a word; the use of equivocal or ambiguous expressions, especially in order to mislead or hedge; prevarication.
And considering every other word is used in the meaning we have for them today, the time period is not an excuse.
Nov 19, 2019 6:40 AM

Apr 2015
death604 said:
Luthandorius said:
The change in personality was a bit too sudden for Canute. Would have been better if he started with being more extrovert and trying to act like a leader but asking Askeladd or others for advice. But I guess since Askeladd was "busy" watching the fight between Thorkell and Thorfinn ... Canute just got the leadership superpowers and probably now is a better leader than Askeladd from 0 to 100.

100% this is what i'm having issue with.

dude, if you could just articulate this one then this page wouldn't be a trashfest. that said I can agree with this but at the same time I couldn't. It's just a matter of perspective. some can transition that fast and some are slow on the uptake. some people will have to go through 4 divorces before swallowing the red pill and some don't have to, they just observe other people getting burned out from a failed relationship. it's just that in his case this was the perfect red pill for canute to swallow. some may puke it away and some won't. that's just how it is.

still, canute's pride is another problem (at least for me). who the fuck does he think he is that he could create a "paradise on earth"? I want to kick that asshole's balls. this nigga thinks that just because he can type on a keyboard that means he is a master of using Goblin Techies in dota1 (my main hero btw). you're still a kid, get off your high horse.
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Nov 19, 2019 8:31 AM

Sep 2014
So the princess finally did the 180°. I hope this speeds up the plot a little.

What was up with his face though. He got some real weird animations.

Thorfinn vs Thorkell was nice. But too short honestly.

Pretty decent so far, but I was expecting more from Wit. Imo animation of Kabaneri was better and thats 3 years old.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 19, 2019 8:55 AM
Oct 2017
Nope I can't say that philosophical rambling or canute's character development was praisable at all. I don't have more expectations at this point. The show isn't boring so I think I'll see through the end.
Nov 19, 2019 9:15 AM
Feb 2015
Azazin said:
For those who say love is discrimination... sorry but this is typical Jordan Peterson nonsense:

But this is a more political position he is taking: If love is discrimination, nearly everything is discrimination (like friendship) which is shifting the focus away from real discrimination based on i.e. gender or ethnicity.

"treating a person or particular group of people differently, especially in a worse way from the way in which you treat other people, because of their skin colour, sex, sexuality, etc.: "

And i would insist that here is a difference between discrimination in the above mentioned context (of law for example) and individual preferences when it comes to love/friendship etc..

I receive your sorry. I consider it debatable so that's why I said before it's up to you to receive that concept or not. I give Jordan peterson and Makoto yukimura (because the Priest Is medium) as example for who receive that concept, and that's why the priest's speech is make sense to me. They perspective of discrimination is not the meaning of discrimination that you googled and you said that the real discrimination base on e.g. gender or ethnicity, the origin of definition is etymology so Discrimination meaning just distinction. Nowdays yes discrimination meaning majorly have the negative connotation, but they take the etymology so that's make sense. Is etymology definition wrong? No. And also there's "positive discrimination" https://www.humanrights.gov.au/quick-guide/12078 . Discrimination have many terms.
Nov 19, 2019 9:38 AM
Feb 2015
Yautja said:
nanashi796 said:

One simple word. Equivocation: a fallacy caused by the double meaning of a word; the use of equivocal or ambiguous expressions, especially in order to mislead or hedge; prevarication.
And considering every other word is used in the meaning we have for them today, the time period is not an excuse.

It's okay if you think so and call me that. I think I'm not. Even you can call the priest's pseudo-intellect or pseudo-philosophycal. But the Priest's is just medium, so that's Makoto yukimura for sure. If it's real person even if you asked "what is this?" is already philosophical there's no pseudo.
Nov 19, 2019 9:46 AM

Jul 2019
This is how you make an actual seinen!
Nov 19, 2019 10:13 AM
Jan 2008
This came out of nowhere. He just said everything is meaningless. Then surely fighting would be even more meaningless, far from love, yet he says "I know what battles you should fight". BE MY VASSALZ. Sorry I'm not sold. This could be a great episode, but it just doesn't sit right with me.
Nov 19, 2019 10:58 AM

Jun 2019
This episode was pretty fun, but it did have some issues.

I liked the fight between Thorfinn and Thorkell... or what little there was of it. Dude got tossed real high.

Canute seemed like the main focus of this episode. I love that scene between him and Ragnar's spirit. So sweet!

I don't buy that philosophical bullshit the priest was feeding him, but maybe he'll actually do something in the story now.

I laughed out loud at some of the "serious scenes" in this episode. I don't know exactly what happened, but the animators fucked up the faces real bad.

Seeing Askalaad on the verge of death is so satisfying.

I'm curious to see what happens in the next episode. Canute vs Thorkell maybe?
Nov 19, 2019 11:12 AM

Mar 2019
flipperblack said:
Xelecus said:

BUT .. I wished that they put his development in another episode. They'd rather focus on the fight in this episode and after it ends, we get to see the new version of Caunte.

Overall 5/5 episode but could be better ofc.

The development it's the same in the manga, if they put it in another episode they ruined everything in my opinion.And there's only 6 episodes left anyway...

Yeah Yeah I know. But well, The ending of episode 17 left the fans with a huge hype and the delay for 2 weeks also made the fans very thirsty. So yeah, but I still love every episode from that anime no matter what lol.
Nov 19, 2019 12:20 PM

Aug 2016
savtruff said:
Azazin said:

I receive your sorry. I consider it debatable so that's why I said before it's up to you to receive that concept or not. I give Jordan peterson and Makoto yukimura (because the Priest Is medium) as example for who receive that concept, and that's why the priest's speech is make sense to me. They perspective of discrimination is not the meaning of discrimination that you googled and you said that the real discrimination base on e.g. gender or ethnicity, the origin of definition is etymology so Discrimination meaning just distinction. Nowdays yes discrimination meaning majorly have the negative connotation, but they take the etymology so that's make sense. Is etymology definition wrong? No. And also there's "positive discrimination" https://www.humanrights.gov.au/quick-guide/12078 . Discrimination have many terms.

I know Petersons work and his own interpretation of 'discrimination', which is not convincing at all, but i know where you are coming from. If a speech of a drunk priest makes sense to you i'm fine with. For me and for others here its a lot of nonsense and your new argumentation about the history and original meaning of the word (hello Wikipedia knowledge) is a different topic where Yautja already wrote about.
My ratings:
Nov 19, 2019 1:07 PM

Feb 2008
Now that was an extreme makeover. In mere moments (and a terrible loss), the prince became a king worth following.
Nov 19, 2019 1:25 PM
Feb 2015
Azazin said:
savtruff said:

I know Petersons work and his own interpretation of 'discrimination', which is not convincing at all, but i know where you are coming from. If a speech of a drunk priest makes sense to you i'm fine with. For me and for others here its a lot of nonsense and your new argumentation about the history and original meaning of the word (hello Wikipedia knowledge) is a different topic where Yautja already wrote about.
okay, let see your argument first, I interested with your comment which were you definitely gave the Discrimination : meaning that I thought you google it this where I came from, and with Yautja is the quote system first so it brought him and he come with the word topic, like you said there's a lot of here though it nonsense, it's okay, I don't hope you all to receive that just I said before, just want to informed it, and I remember there's a lot of people here who also to tried to answered it by give their argument about the meaning discrimination and love it's not far different with my argument. Okay back to the meaning of discrimination that you googled which was I thought it from dictionary which can be revised but etymology is different, if you still thought the meaning of discrimination just like that, it's quite understable, but let me here to try to answer you again that no it's not that discrimination which the priest mean, have you watched Fune wo amu?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32948/Fune_wo_Amu?q=Fune%20wo%20
It's about the making of dictionary.
Nov 19, 2019 2:16 PM

Feb 2015
savtruff said:
Yautja said:

It's okay if you think so and call me that. I think I'm not. 1>Even you can call the priest's pseudo-intellect or pseudo-philosophycal.< But 2>the Priest's is just medium, so that's Makoto yukimura for sure.< If it's real person even 3>if you asked "what is this?" is already philosophical there's no pseudo.<

1: Yes, I can, because evidently, I just did. Thanks, Captain Obvious.
2: Thank you, Captain Obvious. Everyone realizes that.
3: Clearly not since a significant amount of other people in this thread have complained about it. What a bad argument. You strike me as someone who does't know what either pseudo or philosophical mean. And considering the definition, I think it fits quite well. Especially considering numbers 4 - 6.

I've still yet to see any sort of meaningful response about that blatant equivocation.

You strike me as a bot, because every comment I've read between you and I, and other people, illustrate a stunning lack of, excuse the cliche, "je ne sais quoi". It's not often I have to bitch about someone's grammar, but seriously, fuckin' fix that shit. The comment I'm quoting is bad enough, but the others, especially the one just above this are insanely egregious. You're failing to communicate your positions both intellectually as well as etymologically. Which is compounded by the fact that you've not really made a single argument, just cited Peterson and made a few assertions which is masked by the aforementioned egregious grammar.
YautjaNov 19, 2019 2:21 PM
Nov 19, 2019 2:30 PM

Aug 2016
savtruff said:
okay, let see your argument first, I interested with your comment which were you definitely gave the Discrimination : meaning that I thought you google it this where I came from, and with Yautja is the quote system first so it brought him and he come with the word topic, like you said there's a lot of here though it nonsense, it's okay, I don't hope you all to receive that just I said before, just want to informed it, and I remember there's a lot of people here who also to tried to answered it by give their argument about the meaning discrimination and love it's not far different with my argument. Okay back to the meaning of discrimination that you googled which was I thought it from dictionary which can be revised but etymology is different, if you still thought the meaning of discrimination just like that, it's quite understable, but let me here to try to answer you again that no it's not that discrimination which the priest mean, have you watched Fune wo amu?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32948/Fune_wo_Amu?q=Fune%20wo%20
It's about the making of dictionary.

I use a search engine only to look up at a good dictionary for a precise definition which is more than you did since you replied. And after you argued with Peterson i know exactly where you are coming from.

Its quite interesting that you think that your definition or approach to the issue is the only right one and only your argument is valid.
My ratings:
Nov 19, 2019 5:44 PM

Apr 2015
Jordan Peterson? the same guy who tell men to man up and and be responsible so that the gynocentric system can extract resources from men? the same guy who says MGTOWs are a bunch of pathetic weasels? the same guy whose daughter is a disgusting single mother?

yeah right. fuck that guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6F-oVIj3lg

that thumbnail is a great meme for a reason.
kidlat020Nov 19, 2019 5:56 PM
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Nov 19, 2019 7:18 PM
Dec 2017
This show is really refreshing because it doesn't rely on battles to carry it. Some of the best character development and overall writing make it one of the best and most intriguing entertainment around

Nov 19, 2019 10:54 PM

Jul 2014
Tears flowing when ragnar said his goodbye
Canute is amazing
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~
Nov 20, 2019 12:01 AM
Feb 2015
Azazin said:

I use a search engine only to look up at a good dictionary for a precise definition which is more than you did since you replied. And after you argued with Peterson i know exactly where you are coming from.

Its quite interesting that you think that your definition or approach to the issue is the only right one and only your argument is valid.

I don't act like my only argument is valid here. You also are persistent with your precise definition. I replied you with 3 example (peterson, yukimura, and about positive discrimination, I don't care with this 3 are right or no, just want you to know that there's different meaning from what you got). I searched that definition with considering other perspective, and in this point why the Priest's speech like that or from where probably yukimura got this idea.
Nov 20, 2019 1:39 AM

Nov 2017
death604 said:
Cyber_Icarus said:

yes you do. that's how trauma works, plus he's been struggling with his beliefs for quite a while now so it didn't come outta nowhere.

how is this a bad thing exactly? i love the nitpicking in the thread lol

rofl, you don't suddenly make a complete change of your character as if your previous character doesn't impact you.

that shit doesn't make sense even if you have a trauma or PTSD you don't suddenly change charactrer at a drop of a hat as if your previous character that had that trauma didn't affect you anymore. that shit is blatant poor writing.

also btw what trauma exactly are you talking about?

It's not that he changed, it's his inner lion all along!
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

792 by skywizard »»
Mar 29, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.