Forum Settings
Forums

Trump asked Tokyo for $8 bil to keep U.S. troops in Japan: Foreign Policy

Nov 16, 5:25 PM

TOKYO - U.S. President Donald Trump has asked Japan to quadruple annual payments for U.S. forces stationed there to around $8 billion, Foreign Policy reported, part of Washington's efforts to press its allies to increase their defense spending.

The current agreement that covers the 54,000 U.S. troops stationed in Japan expires in March 2021.

The demand was made to Japanese officials during a trip to the region in July by John Bolton, at that time Trump's national security adviser, and Matt Pottinger, who was then the Asia director for the National Security Council, the U.S. global affairs magazine said, citing unidentified former U.S. officials.

A Japanese foreign ministry spokesman said the report was incorrect and no U.S.-Japan negotiations on a new agreement have taken place.

According to Kyodo news agency, Japanese officials told Bolton the increase is "unrealistic", saying Japan already pays a greater share of stationing costs than other allies.

A U.S. State Department spokesman said in an emailed statement: "The President has made clear that allies and partners should contribute more to their shared defense."

Negotiations to renew the agreement will start in the first half of next year, the spokesman said, adding that the U.S. commitment to Japan's defense was "unwavering".

Japan hosts the U.S. Navy's Seventh Fleet, including the only permanently forward deployed carrier strike group, as well as the Third Marine Expeditionary Force.

In addition to defending Japan, those units use the archipelago as a base for operations in the wider Asia-Pacific region where U.S. military power acts as a counterbalance to China's growing influence.

Trump has also insisted Seoul shoulder more of the cost of the U.S. military presence in South Korea, where it serves as deterrence against North Korea, and has floated the idea of pulling U.S. troops from the peninsula.

https://japantoday.com/category/politics/trump-asked-tokyo-for-8-bln-to-keep-u.s.-troops-in-japan-foreign-policy
My Wife is a Demon Queen

Nov 16, 6:22 PM
a (world) police need salaries anyway lol so im fine with this move by Trump

Nov 16, 6:35 PM

Let's be honest, Japan would literally be decimated if attacked by another Asian country [looking at you china] or if some sort of large scale terrorist attack took place, the damage could be catastrophic. In both situations, having the best military and a world super power at your doorstep for defence is something that shouldn't be cheap and should be appreciated. I do think Japan is a very good ally to the US but there's no such thing as charity when it comes to something like this.

Nov 16, 6:49 PM

Cneq said:
Let's be honest, Japan would literally be decimated if attacked by another Asian country [looking at you china] or if some sort of large scale terrorist attack took place, the damage could be catastrophic. In both situations, having the best military and a world super power at your doorstep for defence is something that shouldn't be cheap and should be appreciated. I do think Japan is a very good ally to the US but there's no such thing as charity when it comes to something like this.
You got to be kidding me.Take your head out of trump ass for a second,will ya?First of all Murica isn't stationed in japan for doing charity, they are stationed there to secure their own hegemony and geopolitical dominance .Murican base in japan is liability to japan than anything which goes against Japanese geopolitical and economic interest. Also realistically speaking japan has no chance of being invaded by china in any way.And furthermore japan has its own mind you quite good nuclear, military and surveillance system even though it is limited by american law and pressure.

Nov 16, 7:12 PM

ultravigo said:
Cneq said:
You got to be kidding me.Take your head out of trump ass for a second,will ya?First of all Murica isn't stationed in japan for doing charity, they are stationed there to secure their own hegemony and geopolitical dominance .Murican base in japan is liability to japan than anything which goes against Japanese geopolitical and economic interest. Also realistically speaking japan has no chance of being invaded by china in any way.And furthermore japan has its own mind you quite good nuclear, military and surveillance system even though it is limited by american law and pressure.
So you're telling me just because it's a benefit to the US that we should neglect being paid for our services? Regardless of the benefit to the US it's a mutually beneficial relationship and therefore should be appreciated/paid by Japan. It's called good business and putting America's best interest first.

"Also realistically speaking japan has no chance of being invaded by china in any way"

If WW3 started and the world was split into two sides yet again you can sure as hell bet whoever sides with china would try to take the pacific and therefore attack Japan. Not to mention if a large scale terrorist attack took place the US would immediately send in troops to support.

"Japan has its own mind you quite good nuclear, military and surveillance system"

Would appreciate a source for this because even with raw numbers they are powerless to do anything if something large went down. The US troops stationed there alone are already almost 1/4 of the entire Japanese Defense Force and when you consider the US is pumping 100's of billions of dollars into military technology japan looks like a third world country in comparison. If you seriously think Japan could hold it's own against any of the world super powers without being decimated you have no clue on anything. Japan needs US support whether they like it or not, which is why they keep US troops in the first place.

And by the way it's nothing to do with trump, it's my own views on the military that happens to align with someone in power. If Hillary, Obama, Bush, Biden, Bernie or anyone else said the same thing I'd agree with their stance.

Nov 17, 12:40 AM

They should tell them to get out then, the US would lose out with no money and the loss of dozens of bases all over Japan, the Japanese would be very happy to get rid of the troops and their sex attacks/murders and the incredibly noisy tilt rotor ospreys.

No one is attacking Japan if the US moves out, the Chinese would know the rest of the world would be against them.

Nov 17, 6:58 AM

QPR said:
They should tell them to get out then, the US would lose out with no money and the loss of dozens of bases all over Japan, the Japanese would be very happy to get rid of the troops and their sex attacks/murders and the incredibly noisy tilt rotor ospreys.

No one is attacking Japan if the US moves out, the Chinese would know the rest of the world would be against them.

My thoughts exactly. Considering the amount of conflict the US instigates around the world, this stinks of a protection racket. If Japan told them to fuck off and was later attacked, I would know who to blame, and I would 100% expect some kind of smearing of Japan by the controlled mainstream media.
Lastest Blog Post: Classic Anime, Passion and Reverence

Watching: TBD
Weeklies: Choyoyu, Saikoro Club, Gekihatsu Boy, Rifle is Beautiful, Honzuki
Recently Finished: Granbelm (9), Araburu Kisetsu (6), Cop Craft (6), Ghost in the Shell (9), To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts (6), Heaven's Feel I (10), The Ones Within (4), Black Fox (5), Youjo Senki Movie (8), Joshikousei no Mudazukai (8), Rec (8)

Girl: Myne (Ascendance of a Bookworm)

Nov 17, 7:01 AM

They should just tell them to get lost, it's not like Japan has any benefit from them anyway.

私のためにあなたの愛は存在しない場合でも
あなたのための私の愛は常に無限になります。

Nov 17, 7:05 AM

I see the mob is demanding more protection money.
This idiot military profiteering is a joke.

I can see you

Nov 17, 9:30 AM
I will not be surprised if Trump is just making insane demands that every diplomat probably knows won't be met to justify pulling back the troops and giving China free reign in the area. He seems to like pulling back troops and giving authoritarian governments more room to expand. He doesn't seem to care about global, political influence, only about money.

Aesthetic value can be recognized or experienced, but it cannot be conveyed to those who are incapable of grasping its sensations and perceptions. To quarrel on its behalf is always a blunder.

Nov 17, 9:39 AM

Cneq said:

first, there is little reason for China to attack Japan. politic tensions aside, Japan is a very important trading partner. According to wiki, Japan is China's 3rd largest trading partner, after US and EU.
Xi Jiping isnt dumb. he is not going to unecessarily start a war.

second, in the unlikely event that some other country, say Russia, sends their troops to attack Japan, do you honestly expect the small number of american soldiers stationed over there to stand a chance? US is far away, which means it takes time for US to send reinforcement troops. meanwhile, Russia is right next to Japan. same with China.

third, Japan is already paying 2 billion usd, which is nothing to scoff at.
paying 2 billion is hardly receiving "charity"

Nov 17, 1:42 PM

A country does NOT maintain army forces in foreign territories and foreign water for the sake of world police or protecting allies, but for the sake of controlling/having a say in the security of these areas that are dimmed as important for their own national interest.

In other words, what Trump just did was to ask to be paid to continue doing what serves his own country.
It's the same logic as his stupid wall being paid by Mexico, more or less.
It's the same as the American troops being stationed in countries like Germany. Thinking that the EU needs that to protect itself from external threat is a nice joke that some peoples actually managed to take seriously.

Only peoples brainwashed by american propaganda would believe that there's a need to pay to continue here. They're going to continue regardless of being paid or not anyway.
Because the country profiting the most from the US troops being stationed there is the US itself.

Modified by Zefyris, Nov 17, 1:46 PM

Nov 17, 1:45 PM

Does he remember that we occupied them they didnt ask us to be there...
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others."

Nov 17, 2:33 PM

DreamingBeats said:
Cneq said:

first, there is little reason for China to attack Japan. politic tensions aside, Japan is a very important trading partner. According to wiki, Japan is China's 3rd largest trading partner, after US and EU.
Xi Jiping isnt dumb. he is not going to unecessarily start a war.

second, in the unlikely event that some other country, say Russia, sends their troops to attack Japan, do you honestly expect the small number of american soldiers stationed over there to stand a chance? US is far away, which means it takes time for US to send reinforcement troops. meanwhile, Russia is right next to Japan. same with China.

third, Japan is already paying 2 billion usd, which is nothing to scoff at.
If Russia decided to attack Japan the world wide climate would've already been pretty hostile before that and most likely the US would of stationed even more troops in order to protect the pacific and even with 50 thousand they could still hold their own combined with the Japanese Defense force while waiting for reinforcements.

"third, Japan is already paying 2 billion usd, which is nothing to scoff at.

When you consider like I said the US has been spending 100's of billions of dollars on training troops, weapon production, bombs, vehicles etc etc 2 billion is chump change and while not "charity" it's still an extremely low amount. We're talking nations here, 2 billion even to upper class individuals is pretty low. Not to mention this is 2 billion as insurance to protect the livelihoods 120 million+ Japanese.

Nov 17, 2:38 PM

Zefyris said:
A country does NOT maintain army forces in foreign territories and foreign water for the sake of world police or protecting allies, but for the sake of controlling/having a say in the security of these areas that are dimmed as important for their own national interest.

In other words, what Trump just did was to ask to be paid to continue doing what serves his own country.
It's the same logic as his stupid wall being paid by Mexico, more or less.
It's the same as the American troops being stationed in countries like Germany. Thinking that the EU needs that to protect itself from external threat is a nice joke that some peoples actually managed to take seriously.

Only peoples brainwashed by american propaganda would believe that there's a need to pay to continue here. They're going to continue regardless of being paid or not anyway.
Because the country profiting the most from the US troops being stationed there is the US itself.

"In other words, what Trump just did was to ask to be paid to continue doing what serves his own country."

So there's literally no benefit for the US being there if a war/major event took place? You already know the answer which is "Yes, it is a benefit" but you probably think war would never happen. Trump put America's best interest first while still charging for services that have mutual benefit for both Japan and the US, it's a good business move. Not to mention troops being stationed places not only serves as insurance if something does happen but also as a deterrent to limit the possibilities of something happening in the first place.

Nov 18, 7:20 AM

Cneq said:

I don't know why so many people even believe that the Chinese army is ready for war. Especially when it comes to attacking island countries that have a strong natural defense. I don't know what video games teach you but things are a bit different in real life and there are numerous factors you have to consider. As I said in a previous thread it would probably take more than a year for them to defeat a country like Taiwan. They are not in any position to "decimate" anything unless they decide to throw their entire nuclear arsenal at it which would be the dumbest move one could ever make.

Nov 18, 8:22 AM

149597871 said:
I don't know why so many people even believe that the Chinese army is ready for war.
Neither was the Red Army, but they still fought back the Germans.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”

Nov 18, 8:24 AM

Does japan even want us there?

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 18, 8:35 AM

Cneq said:

So there's literally no benefit for the US being there if

The country ripping the most benefits from having military bases everywhere on other countries soil is that country itself.
In other words, USA.
If USA was getting paid on top of this, they would rip the benefits WHILE being paid to do so, which is ridiculous. If you seriously believe that other countries are asking for the USA to implant bases on their OWN territory for a century you've been brainwashed by USA's propaganda.
No one is going to pay for having soldiers of another, even if allied, country sitting there outside of a war period.
Modified by Zefyris, Nov 18, 9:33 AM

Nov 18, 10:31 AM

Bring 'em home. We shouldn't be the world's police and our military shouldn't be mercenaries for hire. If conservatives want to conserve the commitments of the fathers they may want to remember that Thomas Jefferson wanted to include an amendment against standing armies in the bill of rights. As well as a ban on monopolies. But let's start with that.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but it's probably going to involve frogs. I freakin' hate those things."
- Albert Einstein

Nov 18, 10:33 AM

For everyone who thinks China is going to invade someone....you guys do know that the only country on the UN Permanent Security Council to have not fired a bullet on foreign soil in the last 60 years is China right, and that war was largely manufactured to purposefully lose as to remove hawkish/pro-expansionary party members from the cabinet.

Nov 18, 10:45 AM

Freaking US with their imperialist nationalism.

I hope Japan can get rid of them and properly establish their own forces.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from it.

Nov 18, 1:18 PM

Article 9 of the Japanese constitution which was imposed by the US made it so Japan could not maintain armed forces with war potential. An amendment in 2014 only gave some exception to defending allies if attacked. Under these conditions it could be seen as a form of extortion to jack up the price four times more suddenly.

Nov 20, 9:02 AM

China wouldn't attack japan even if the US leaves. Firstly, china has some major enemies surrounding it's borders so it isn't wise for china to attack japan. Also, china isn't absolute boss of asia like US is of north america. China has other asian nations to worry about as well.
“The sound of the Gion Shoja temple bells echoes the impermanence of all things;
The color of the sala flowers reveals the truth that to flourish is to fall.
The proud do not endure, like a passing dream on a night in spring;
The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.”

Nov 20, 10:47 AM

I mean, Japan has the highest debt to GDP ratio in the entire world so it wouldn't be wrong to claim they aren't paying their fair share.

Nov 20, 12:08 PM

Take a look at what happened with Russia and Ukraine and that's recent.

Nov 20, 3:26 PM

"Japan pays an average of 189.3 billion yen — or between $1.65 billion and $1.95 billion, depending on currency exchange rates — per year to support U.S. bases in the country as part of a five-year deal signed in 2015."

https://www.rollcall.com/news/nikkei-poll-japan-pays-enough-u-s-military-bases#:~:targetText=%22Japan%20pays%20an%20average%20of,year%20deal%20signed%20in%202015.%22

Japan paid around $2 billion every year. Trump want to quadraple that. Really not making any sense. No wonder South Korea choose to ignore Trump similar demand. Yeah, US better just leave. The Okinawa doesn't like them anyway.
My Wife is a Demon Queen

Nov 22, 6:23 PM

cythraul said:
. Also, china isn't absolute boss of asia like US is of north america. China has other asian nations to worry about as well.
China is militarily boss of East Asia. No East Asian nation can challenge China who has the largest army in the world. India is the only Asian nation that can challenge China.

Nov 22, 6:55 PM

DrGeroCreation said:
cythraul said:
. Also, china isn't absolute boss of asia like US is of north america. China has other asian nations to worry about as well.
China is militarily boss of East Asia. No East Asian nation can challenge China who has the largest army in the world. India is the only Asian nation that can challenge China.

holy shit you're alive.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others."

Nov 22, 7:00 PM

hazarddex said:
DrGeroCreation said:

holy shit you're alive.
yeah, still kicking.