Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 16, 2019 1:47 PM
Aug 2018
cchigu said:
Lol who tf is Dakira? And why should I care about her dying? Unnecessary emotion manipulation devices all over the place. SAO has become so bad, honestly. I used to be a huge SAO fan but it seems that is becoming more and more like Overlord, focussing on the characters that are worth shit and uninteresting af. Without Kirito or Asuna, SAO is complete garbage. It just looks fancy.

2/5

THIS. EXACTLY THIS.

All you SAO blind fanboys need to wake the fuck up and realise this episode was a pile of trash. I knew counting on A-1 Pictures of all shitty studios to pull off an all-out epic war comparable to the Battle of the Pelennor Fields in Return of the King was too much to ask for. Can only count on Ufotable to deliver something satisfactory for this kind of shit.

One chunk of the fucking episode was just slide shows of all the units, which by the way, the number of fucking times they kept repeating the descriptions of each one in this episode triggered the fuck out of me. You'd think twice is enough, but no lets just keep labelling them every time they are on screen ffs.

The fight choreography was bland and cheap as fuck. Animation was comparable to that of a hentai budget. The wide shot of the humans and goblins fighting each other was the same solder and goblin copy and pasted 30 times to fill the shot. A chunk of the fights were again slide shows.

Even all the Knight's fancy moves were just devoid of animation cause all the money spent on making it look flashy, which by the way, have fun trying to enjoy the fucking rest of the season with all its jaw dropping fight scenes when 90% of them are gonna be seizure filtered like fuck, just like in this episode, literally unwatchable, have to wait till blu-ray.

Oh and let's not forget the number of times the same frame of goblins being blown to bits by Fire Arrows Guy was used. Geez...I'm suddenly getting Gundam Seed and Gundam Wing footage re-usage PTSD.

And that Knight Dakira, like..who the fuck cares, I never even seen this bitch all series, and she appears for 2 seconds in this episodes and sacrifices herself...wow...whoopty fucking doo, am I suppose to feel sad for her? I have no emotional investment in this background character whatsoever...worthless, cheap, emotions thrown into the battle to appeal to the easily impressed viewers. This whole episodes execution lacked taste and any skills.

Overall, I went into this week's episode excited, expect to be amazed, instead I got a pile of crap reeking of all art and no animation. If it continues like this for the rest of the season, this will be as much of a let down as the end of the fucking first half with Kirito's garbage ass fight against Quinella.
HoloSimper9000Nov 16, 2019 1:52 PM
Nov 16, 2019 1:58 PM
Oct 2013
The true hero of this episode is Yuki Kajiura.
Nov 16, 2019 2:02 PM

Feb 2015
Fantastic episode the animation was really good. Everything is better that the season before. It left me wanting more.
Nov 16, 2019 2:05 PM

Feb 2013
cchigu said:
Lol who tf is Dakira? And why should I care about her dying? Unnecessary emotion manipulation devices all over the place. SAO has become so bad, honestly. I used to be a huge SAO fan but it seems that is becoming more and more like Overlord, focussing on the characters that are worth shit and uninteresting af. Without Kirito or Asuna, SAO is complete garbage. It just looks fancy.

2/5

FaffywaffleJLA said:
cchigu said:

2/5

THIS. EXACTLY THIS.

All you SAO blind fanboys need to wake the fuck up and realise this episode was a pile of trash. I knew counting on A-1 Pictures of all shitty studios to pull off an all-out epic war comparable to the Battle of the Pelennor Fields in Return of the King was too much to ask for. Can only count on Ufotable to deliver something satisfactory for this kind of shit.

One chunk of the fucking episode was just slide shows of all the units, which by the way, the number of fucking times they kept repeating the descriptions of each one in this episode triggered the fuck out of me. You'd think twice is enough, but no lets just keep labelling them every time they are on screen ffs.

The fight choreography was bland and cheap as fuck. Animation was comparable to that of a hentai budget. The wide shot of the humans and goblins fighting each other was the same solder and goblin copy and pasted 30 times to fill the shot. A chunk of the fights were again slide shows.

Even all the Knight's fancy moves were just devoid of animation cause all the money spent on making it look flashy, which by the way, have fun trying to enjoy the fucking rest of the season with all its jaw dropping fight scenes when 90% of them are gonna be seizure filtered like fuck, just like in this episode, literally unwatchable, have to wait till blu-ray.

Oh and let's not forget the number of times the same frame of goblins being blown to bits by Fire Arrows Guy was used. Geez...I'm suddenly getting Gundam Seed and Gundam Wing footage re-usage PTSD.

And that Knight Dakira, like..who the fuck cares, I never even seen this bitch all series, and she appears for 2 seconds in this episodes and sacrifices herself...wow...whoopty fucking doo, am I suppose to feel sad for her? I have no emotional investment in this background character whatsoever...worthless, cheap, emotions thrown into the battle to appeal to the easily impressed viewers. This whole episodes execution lacked taste and any skills.

Overall, I went into this week's episode excited, expect to be amazed, instead I got a pile of crap reeking of all art and no animation. If it continues like this for the rest of the season, this will be as much of a let down as the end of the fucking first half with Kirito's garbage ass fight against Quinella.

Honestly, just read the light novels. At this point it's clear from all the Alicization arc that the studio is cutting many fundamental parts, like Dakira's backstory and focus which we should have see it before, or the same thing for Shasta. The director is basically going and advancing the story without the setpieces since the beginning of the arc last year ignoring an entire arc that became a small flashback, ignore eugeo's family development, ignored explanations about how incarnation works and so on. Much of Alicization only will be understood when read in the descriptions, narrations and internal thoughts of the LN which the anime does a bad job to convey or they don't even convey at all. As someone who was an anime only and began to read the LN in the beginning of the year and reach the end of the arc on Volume 18, I'm basically watching to see moments that i liked in the anime because the adaptation itself of the arc is really flawed.
Nov 16, 2019 2:13 PM

Oct 2019
best episode by far since the start of the new season. amazingly animated scenes and well executed fights. only part I didn't like is that one bitch who ran away IN THE MIDDLE OF A WAR AGAINST PEOPLE WHO HAVE LARGER NUMBERS.
Nov 16, 2019 2:19 PM
Jul 2018
Nemesis16 said:
cchigu said:

2/5

FaffywaffleJLA said:

THIS. EXACTLY THIS.

Honestly, just read the light novels. At this point it's clear from all the Alicization arc that the studio is cutting many fundamental parts, like Dakira's backstory and focus which we should have see it before, or the same thing for Shasta. The director is basically going and advancing the story without the setpieces since the beginning of the arc last year ignoring an entire arc that became a small flashback, ignore eugeo's family development, ignored explanations about how incarnation works and so on. Much of Alicization only will be understood when read in the descriptions, narrations and internal thoughts of the LN which the anime does a bad job to convey or they don't even convey at all. As someone who was an anime only and began to read the LN in the beginning of the year and reach the end of the arc on Volume 18, I'm basically watching to see moments that i liked in the anime because the adaptation itself of the arc is really flawed.

The backstory of Dakira was described in Vol. 16, I think that was about 10 pages. Exactly where the war breaks out, maybe that's why they cut it. Alicization was really better than any other arcs until Episode 14 or Vol. 11, and it was getting worse and worse from that point on. Also, one reason could be that the characters from Underworld have too little screen time to make the audience emotional, also this SAO works only with Kirito because he is well written. Only with well written characters can SAO be good, as did the beginning of the anime and the light novels at Alicization.
removed-userNov 16, 2019 2:22 PM
Nov 16, 2019 2:33 PM

Apr 2017
skyUFO said:
I was laughing the whole episode lol superb action!

THis shit was amazing

I swear to god this episode was something else.

I'd even say that this is one of the best episode of the whole franchise.
Nov 16, 2019 2:57 PM

Nov 2017
Amazing episode!

The animation is CRAZY and the fighting is intense!

Dakira is too strong in repelling the giant leader and protecting Fanatio!
ElyshionDec 13, 2019 2:53 PM
Nov 16, 2019 3:51 PM

Mar 2019
The music kept reminding me about Fate Zero and UBW.
Nov 16, 2019 3:57 PM

Apr 2015
Great episode!

War is always a terrible thing and the knights don't have it easy here. It has only just started and they are already in trouble (Heck one Integrity Knight actually ran away from the battlefield).

Dakira sacrificed herself to save Fanatio, her death was sad, but I can't help but feel that her death was a bit meaningless. After reading some comments here, it makes sense why I felt like that.

Animation was great, I really loved how they animated the arrows that were being fired by Deusolbert. A little bit of CGI with the soldiers and goblins fighting each other, but that actually felt like cut and paste.

Can't wait for next week!
Nov 16, 2019 4:00 PM

Oct 2015
I thought Kirito would come at Fanatio's rescue there, but instead we had an unknown non developed character step in. The fuck are you?

The war is mediocre for me at the moment, hopefully Alice might recover it next week.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 16, 2019 4:03 PM

Sep 2016
The archer fighting was honestly the best part of the episode.

Then when he was out of arrows and he fired his WHOLE FUCKING SWORD, that was epic. So hot the two enemies holding his legs melted from the heat of his flames, lol.

And Alice genkidama is next!

Also, #stillonasunahypetrain

Vysarine said:
Please tell me those twins didn't slink off to go kill Kirito..

AlsolinNancel said:
Those twins addressed kirito as "rebel", hope they don't do anything awful.

I don't think those brats can get past his willpower alone, xD
bruh
Nov 16, 2019 4:08 PM

May 2019
Brace yourselves.

The next couple episodes are bringing the greatest mass cute-busty-Waifus annihilation you never seen in years of anime.

So cruel.

The amount of burnt silicone... the smell in that battlefield will be quite strange.

Darikan said:

The backstory of Dakira was described in Vol. 16, I think that was about 10 pages. Exactly where the war breaks out, maybe that's why they cut it. Alicization was really better than any other arcs until Episode 14 or Vol. 11, and it was getting worse and worse from that point on. Also, one reason could be that the characters from Underworld have too little screen time to make the audience emotional, also this SAO works only with Kirito because he is well written. Only with well written characters can SAO be good, as did the beginning of the anime and the light novels at Alicization.

I'm not a SAO fanboy, i just like, most of time LOVE this show, but would never defend it from critics in a blind fanboy way.

That said, one thing that is a downside of Alicization, not only anime but also novel, is the excessive number of characters.

12 episodes are not enough to devenlop so many people. One novel arc or whatever also is not enough.
For example, MARVEL MCU took 10 fuck*ng years of character devenlopment to turn a movie like Endgame something appreciable, and even so, using 50 years old characters which most of the audience was already very well presented.

So what is bothering me at the moment in SAO is not "they erased the development of Dakira before kill her" but the existence of Dakira in the plot in the first place.

Totally unecessary. In a better plot fit to the size of an arc, the painfull sacrifice would not be of a random faceless (until few episodes or chapters before) follower, but of another main character, like one the knights. That red archer, why not?

Sometimes the problem is not lack of development, but simply abuse in the number of named chars.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.

Mod Edit: Removed trolling.
MrZawaNov 17, 2019 3:54 AM
Nov 16, 2019 4:32 PM
Jan 2017
One of the best episodes of all seasons, they made a very good adaptation of novel fact's

I really like they dont make lack of blood and violence, this is reality of war, this is agressive, and thats it.
And who wanna know about Dakira's background read the novel16 about page 37~40 i think.
DramyNov 16, 2019 4:40 PM
Nov 16, 2019 5:05 PM

Feb 2013
Rob7 said:
Darikan said:

I'm not a SAO fanboy, i just like, most of time LOVE this show, but would never defend it from critics in a blind fanboy way.

That said, one thing that is a downside of Alicization, not only anime but also novel, is the excessive number of characters.

12 episodes are not enough to devenlop so many people. One novel arc or whatever also is not enough.
For example, MARVEL MCU took 10 fuck*ng years of character devenlopment to turn a movie like Endgame something appreciable, and even so, using 50 years old characters which most of the audience was already very well presented.

So what is bothering me at the moment in SAO is not "they erased the development of Dakira before kill her" but the existence of Dakira in the plot in the first place.

Totally unecessary. In a better plot fit to the size of an arc, the painfull sacrifice would not be of a random faceless (until few episodes or chapters before) follower, but of another main character, like one the knights. That red archer, why not?

Sometimes the problem is not lack of development, but simply abuse in the number of named chars.

He wasn't defending anything. He was responding to my post and complementing it. Not only that, but what he thinks is clearly different than you. So yeah, you're clearly overreacting here when he didn't defend it like a "retarded blind fanboy" which was totally uncalled.

And you want me to believe that you read the original light novel when some posts ago you said for "LN dipshits" to not post spoilers? You're clearly only watching the anime and knows nothing from the original. How you can even try to make arguments like you just did against another person for this when you didn't have contact with the series on its original media? Seriously, it even makes more clear when you don't know the name, you don't know the quantity of volumes of Alicization and you make an argument of:

> One novel arc or whatever also is not enough.

When Alicization goes from volume 9 to volume 18, with ten volumes. And the part of the war goes for 4 volumes with entire chapters focused and dedicated to knights including Dakira, which also appeared before with much more presence on the original for the fight against Fanatio than in the anime.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
MrZawaNov 17, 2019 3:55 AM
Nov 16, 2019 5:40 PM

Feb 2018
Fanatio goes Excalibur, Alice goes Genki dama, you don't get much of why the power ups are happening because the incarnation system and almost any link with Accel World is missing...
last season fights looked really pretty but boring (they were nice on the LN), now... well, they still look good I guess and the sound design was nice, but, I kinda just wanna see Asuna epic entrance and be done with it
Nov 16, 2019 5:58 PM
Jun 2014
So Fanatio is on the frontlines, right? When her sword was a constant beam instead of just firing lasers, why didn't she sweep it horizontally? She did when she put it away, but they made no indication it hit anything. It really felt like that should've been the move that individually won her flank rather than just eliminating the leader.
Nov 16, 2019 6:07 PM

Oct 2017
Mal saying this episode is the best just proves that people nowadays just care about animation and nothing else lolz..

Story-telling wise and war presentation-wise this episode is laughable.
The war feel like some sort of amature playground , that no-one knows wth they're doing.

I don't know it's the anime studio's presentation problem or source is like that already,
let me tear this episode one by one.

The fire archer guy is cool and all, however, how come he's the ONLY archer in the entire battle? Didn't the underground citizens never thought of training some groups of archers , especially when facing this degree of number disadvantage? Like this is literally the BASIC of the BASIC to use terrains and archers to try overcome the number disadvantage by taking down enemies from afar before they can approach, but here we are, only having ONE single archer in the entire battle.
Also why do they let their only archer in the entire battle stand IN FRONT OF the whole troops? Why didn't he stand on high ground, or even riding his Wyvern to snipe from sky? How come no-one resupply him arrows when he's the ONLY archer?
That's some less than elementary level of writing portraying war.

Secondly, for the lightsaber troop part, what's up with all the troop afk throughout the entirety of encounter? Their captain got put down on ground nearly dead and all the troops do is afk watching. And then the four sword guys rush out to the foes mainline while the full troops are still afk watching..
Like wth? Can't they do anything productive?

Also the purple whip guy which is the highlight of trash in this episode.
A few smoke bombs are enough to break your entirely defense line, what if the enemies use real bombs then? Instant full group wipe.
Both the knight and the troops are so laughably bad .

Seriously really can't defend this anymore.
If they only want to highlight some individual characters being op and cool, they shouldn't try to present this as war because clearly it isn't. It's just watching a few edgy guys wiping out hundred thousands of enemies alone.
We all know Kirito is going to wake up and save the day in the end by wiping out the entire force of enemies in one slash cuz mc power.
Ventus_SNov 16, 2019 6:14 PM
Nov 16, 2019 6:17 PM

Oct 2017
Rob7 said:
Darikan said:

Marvel took 10 years to develop those characters yet the story-telling of all the avenger series are still popcorn level of bad.

Guess it make sense people praise avenger series despite some elementary level writing and story-telling. They ONLY care about actions anyway...

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
MrZawaNov 17, 2019 3:56 AM
Nov 16, 2019 6:22 PM

May 2019
Nemesis16 said:

He wasn't defending anything. He was responding to my post and complementing it. Not only that, but what he thinks is clearly different than you. So yeah, you're clearly overreacting here when he didn't defend it like a "retarded blind fanboy" which was totally uncalled.

And you want me to believe that you read the original light novel when some posts ago you said for "LN dipshits" to not post spoilers? You're clearly only watching the anime and knows nothing from the original. How you can even try to make arguments like you just did against another person for this when you didn't have contact with the series on its original media? Seriously, it even makes more clear when you don't know the name, you don't know the quantity of volumes of Alicization and you make an argument of:

> One novel arc or whatever also is not enough.

When Alicization goes from volume 9 to volume 18, with ten volumes. And the part of the war goes for 4 volumes with entire chapters focused and dedicated to knights including Dakira, which also appeared before with much more presence on the original for the fight against Fanatio than in the anime.

Wait, i was not addressing the "fanboy" thing to that user. I was just pointing it about (not) being my case and anticipating reactions like.. yours? Ppl take everything too personally.

And i've read most of the LN, but only after watch the anime and avoiding go further to not spoil it to myself (what i would advice to everyone who still wants gets the best experience from the anime).

You are right that the LN devenloped a lot more the characters (obviously), but there are still too much for a series that started and still is focused in Kirito and Asuna, plus the "main"-second character of each arc.

It was doing well until Alicization, but now we have an Arc about lots of knights and their followers... with the MC catatonic and (for the most part) a missing heroine.

The story lost the narrative. I'm feeling like in a filler.

----------

Edit: Okay, being honest, i hate novels. But i read past chapters "en passant" just to have my questions answered in certain points of the story and have a better panorama of the plot in the anime.

For example, if people do like i did, nobody would still mistake about the Alicization objective saying "But there are lots of legit "fluctlight" people in underworld being able to kill!"
Rob7Nov 16, 2019 6:39 PM
Nov 16, 2019 6:46 PM
Jul 2019
OK this was a really good episode lot's of action and emotion going on but why wasn't it uncensored the battle would have been more mind blowing😫 , I see that 5 people gave this episode 1/5 hmm well if your not hated then your not famous as they say
Nov 16, 2019 6:48 PM
Jul 2019
I can't wait for Asuna appear, this is too epic for me, LOL
Nov 16, 2019 7:14 PM

Sep 2014
Intense episode, its everything I expected and more. The animation quality in some parts was insane, movie level.
The comment in the beginning was kinda BS though, have these dudes never seen LotR? Villains indeed!

I guess it will take atleast 2 more episodes for Asuna to appear, cant wait for that.

This leads me to a question, will Alicization be over after this season or is there more to come? With the current pacing I doubt they would reach a good conclusion if there are only 6 episodes left. But I havent seen a sequel listed yet. And I definitely dont want to wait another 2 seasons for a continuation especially when the cliffhanger is what I think it will be.

Edit - alright I just saw the sequel. I was wondering because I remember this entire thing was supposed to be split cour, not that we would have 2 splits. A one season wait is bearable and if it helps keeping the quality up Im all for it.
Comander-07Nov 16, 2019 7:25 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 16, 2019 7:16 PM
Oct 2017
All I have to say is awesome episode, awesome animation and im looking forward to more episodes like this one!
My Candies:
Nov 16, 2019 7:36 PM

Mar 2015
Man, that scene of Dakira protecting Fanatio was incrediable. Seeing the armour and her body break really sold how heavy of an impact that was.
Nov 16, 2019 7:41 PM

Nov 2008
Fanatio sure kicked a lot of ass. Shame about Dakira...but yeah, they cut her story.

I'm just a simple person who likes to watch goblins go BOOM. xD Much goblin blood was spilt this day.

Nov 16, 2019 8:05 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
man this ep is the best thus far. finally we got the war happening and the action showcased this ep was sick.

Didn't really care for whoever Dakira was since the show has never shown her before but it doesn't really ruin what the scene is trying to convey. As for Alice tho, I wonder what she's making up there.

Wonder how long this war is gonna last to be honest and I'm very hyped for the next ep.
Nov 16, 2019 8:17 PM

Jan 2017
The animation of this episode was great by all means. I just wished they hadn't used the CGI during the goblin split formation on Deusolbert - that was horrendous.
Nov 16, 2019 8:30 PM

Jan 2011
well good part on the action it was decent by SAO levels even when overblown by flashy-ness watching the knights felt as though you were playing a Masuo game killing tons of fodder and less of a you know brutal war which they kinda got to.

even for me being weak to cute girls dying kinda felt nothing from Dakira's death didn't even know who she was till her helmet broke legit thought it was just some random knight going out like a boss honestly would've worked better for the anime at least if they just kept it as a faceless person and non of that last minute backstory bs.

also everyone is just awakening with powerups and i know why but at the same time i don't lol
Nov 16, 2019 8:47 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was a kickass episode! Amazing animation and soundtracks (my favourite being that from Alice’s little moment in the end), I’m beginning to see why they went for the split-cour after all. Hopefully, they’ll be able to keep it up until episode 12 nevertheless!

With that said, however, it felt a bit all over the place with all the numerous fights, sacrifices and a bit of overused music, if I’m to be brutally honest. Dakira’s final moments were pretty admirable though but sadly didn’t tug a heartstring because I have next to no idea who she really is. I’ve watched Foxen’s vid on YT but I’m afraid it doesn’t really work as I just can’t feel for her. A bit of a recollection on this was dearly missing, I reckon. Secondly, since when did Eugeo’s senpai and that Integrity Knight hit it off so well? All in all, felt like an episode for ln readers really.

Wow, that deserter though. I was expecting her to lose as a result of the nervousness but certainly not a dip from the fight, what a disappointment. Anyway, looks like Alice is up to something. Can’t wait to see what that is!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 16, 2019 9:01 PM

Sep 2015
Darikan said:

The backstory of Dakira was described in Vol. 16, I think that was about 10 pages.

Nope, it's actually less than 2 pages of content. Here's an excerpt from LNs: https://i.imgur.com/nbc9rDf.jpg

Feel free to read it if you've already watched the episode.
Nov 16, 2019 10:36 PM
Nov 2016
My goodness the action and animation has been amazing and building so much characters even though we haven't known them for so long. Alice knowing how much she is important in this war is quite super astounding to the aspect. Still looking forward when Asuna comes in with the elbow drop. Wooo so much emotions and outlets!
Nov 16, 2019 10:57 PM

Sep 2019
Quite a great sequel to eps 5 with lots of actions.

I'm not knowing for sure how many eps do this part have, but from this moment, SAO is becoming a series that really deserves a chance.

Btw, is Alice going to execute Excalibur, or that "energy ball" is somewhat like the "spirit bomb" of Son Goku ???
Nov 16, 2019 11:00 PM

Dec 2014
Not gonna lie..... the fight are pretty awesome
Nov 16, 2019 11:31 PM

May 2018
All I can say is... Dakira is cool.

Nov 16, 2019 11:40 PM

Apr 2010
So we had Berserker going berserk

Fanatio using Excalibur

Deusolbert going full-on EMIYA Archer

When the f*** did SAO turn into a Fate anime lol
Nov 16, 2019 11:53 PM
Jul 2018
Aelyn said:
Darikan said:

The backstory of Dakira was described in Vol. 16, I think that was about 10 pages.

Nope, it's actually less than 2 pages of content. Here's an excerpt from LNs: https://i.imgur.com/nbc9rDf.jpg

Feel free to read it if you've already watched the episode.

ok thanks, i somehow remembered more pages. Why should someone blame the studio for cutting their "important" background story?
Nov 17, 2019 12:20 AM

Feb 2014
So much goblin blood was spilt in this episode...........Goblin Slayer himself approves of this! XD

As I expected, this episode was filled to the brim with action. The animation quality of this episode was very impressive, with the attacks from Deusolbert and Fanatio the best in terms of visual quality. The only downside was the CGI use. Most of it was decent enough, with the huge amount of goblins and soldiers on-screen, but my main gripe was with the goblins that charged after Deusolbert. While their model quality was good, how the hell do those goblins lose the ability to run in a straight line? Running diagonally while going straight just looked really idioctic and poor for those few seconds. >.<

As an anime-only, I do admit that I didn't have much emotion connection for Dakira, either. Despite that, she still deserves my respect for her sacrificial move to protect the paralysed Fanatio. Her attempt to strike at the corrupt goblin wasn't great strategically, but you can't deny her determination and will to save Fanatio by using her sword, arms and even her head to stop that goblin attack.

I do wonder what'll happen in the next episode, as I want to know what those twins are up to with that rather sinister smirk they had and also with the green-haired integrity knight chickening out of battle. Either way, I enjoyed this episode and I can't wait for the next one. =)
Nov 17, 2019 12:36 AM
Oct 2012
Wow, full blown Incarnate system being used. Fanatio's sword light looks exactly like Kuroyuki-Hime's Vorpal Blade Incarnate system attack.

I kinda skimmed the light novel because I was looking forward too much to Asuna's entrance, so I didn't remember most of the current fight story; But if I had to guess, that Giant's rampage was probably made full use of Incarnation system, a technique where their 'Willpower' overwritten the entire reality, and that made Fanatio unable to move at all. Same goes with Deusolbert's and Fanatio's desperate attack.

Accel world s2 when?
Nov 17, 2019 1:10 AM

Oct 2017
LeLouch_Reborn said:
Can’t believe I’d ever say this about SAO but that episode was like a Fate/Zero or Fate/ stay night episode. Music and animation was on point. The actual storyline for SAO is horrible but that one episode of pure action was great.

So sad anime community has fallen this low to even compare F/Z to this laughable episode...
Nov 17, 2019 1:11 AM

Feb 2013
ina-astral said:
Wow, full blown Incarnate system being used. Fanatio's sword light looks exactly like Kuroyuki-Hime's Vorpal Blade Incarnate system attack.

I kinda skimmed the light novel because I was looking forward too much to Asuna's entrance, so I didn't remember most of the current fight story; But if I had to guess, that Giant's rampage was probably made full use of Incarnation system, a technique where their 'Willpower' overwritten the entire reality, and that made Fanatio unable to move at all. Same goes with Deusolbert's and Fanatio's desperate attack.

Accel world s2 when?

Yes, basically the giant had the same thing as the first part of Alicization but unlike the guy that died due to it, his conflict of being destroyed by a human but not believing that a human was able to do that was resolved by his will and the incarnation system made his cluster activate and also influence the cluster of fanatio, making her fluclight paralized. It was basically this.

Also, nice that you got into the LN. I began to read the entire arc on the end of last alicization season and finished it before this season began. Loved it.
Nov 17, 2019 1:14 AM

Apr 2019
Ventus_S said:
LeLouch_Reborn said:
Can’t believe I’d ever say this about SAO but that episode was like a Fate/Zero or Fate/ stay night episode. Music and animation was on point. The actual storyline for SAO is horrible but that one episode of pure action was great.

So sad anime community has fallen this low to even compare F/Z to this laughable episode...
Re read the quote clown. It definitely did in the terms I put.

Nov 17, 2019 1:36 AM
Nov 2018
Damn man, I didn't expect their battle to be this good. Both battle background music and animation is so great. It has fate zero influences. But this is probably even better in combat scenes. Especially, Archer guy's style and power is so cool. And I like how these people sarcifice for each other. Orcs are also reckless and kinda badass. And we have yet to see Alice's fight. Pretty hyped for next ep. ^^

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Nov 17, 2019 2:01 AM

Sep 2017
Ventus_S said:
Mal saying this episode is the best just proves that people nowadays just care about animation and nothing else lolz..

Story-telling wise and war presentation-wise this episode is laughable.
The war feel like some sort of amature playground , that no-one knows wth they're doing.

I don't know it's the anime studio's presentation problem or source is like that already,
let me tear this episode one by one.

The fire archer guy is cool and all, however, how come he's the ONLY archer in the entire battle? Didn't the underground citizens never thought of training some groups of archers , especially when facing this degree of number disadvantage? Like this is literally the BASIC of the BASIC to use terrains and archers to try overcome the number disadvantage by taking down enemies from afar before they can approach, but here we are, only having ONE single archer in the entire battle.
Also why do they let their only archer in the entire battle stand IN FRONT OF the whole troops? Why didn't he stand on high ground, or even riding his Wyvern to snipe from sky? How come no-one resupply him arrows when he's the ONLY archer?
That's some less than elementary level of writing portraying war.

Secondly, for the lightsaber troop part, what's up with all the troop afk throughout the entirety of encounter? Their captain got put down on ground nearly dead and all the troops do is afk watching. And then the four sword guys rush out to the foes mainline while the full troops are still afk watching..
Like wth? Can't they do anything productive?

Also the purple whip guy which is the highlight of trash in this episode.
A few smoke bombs are enough to break your entirely defense line, what if the enemies use real bombs then? Instant full group wipe.
Both the knight and the troops are so laughably bad .

Seriously really can't defend this anymore.
If they only want to highlight some individual characters being op and cool, they shouldn't try to present this as war because clearly it isn't. It's just watching a few edgy guys wiping out hundred thousands of enemies alone.
We all know Kirito is going to wake up and save the day in the end by wiping out the entire force of enemies in one slash cuz mc power.
cant agree more, this is totally what i want to write. i guess the author cant write a proper war fiction yet, thus he ignored the ideal strategy in this part
Nov 17, 2019 2:16 AM

Sep 2017
as expected the troops and goblins are going to be CGI, im not surprised

the animation is good especially the fire effects from deusolbert, the lightcube scene (when that giant chief glitched) and the explosions

props to Yuki Kajiura for the OSTs and the music director, great as usual

but again, the choreography for this war is just boring to watch

if they want to cut the backstory of some characters, i wish they just cut it entirely instead of just throwing some random characters that we dont even know to die and shown a seconds of their backstory in order to make audience feels bad. they should just let dakira dies with no backstory, her little backstory is just useless imo

i was hoping for sword fights between the knights and the chiefs in this episode with great sakuga and choreography. well from what i learned so far in this adaptation, i shouldnt have any high expectation lol. still waiting for another kirito vs goblins animation tho

good episode overall
zalapenoNov 17, 2019 2:21 AM
Nov 17, 2019 2:58 AM

Aug 2013
Love how the animation did the novel a service in terms of emphasis on the sheer like atmosphere of the war; and honestly, I'm glad they cut so much shit out with some of these named characters because as someone who read the novel...I literally was annoyed by how many were named, brought in with backstories and then like disposed of almost instantly. It was a major waste of writing.
Don't believe the hype.
Nov 17, 2019 3:55 AM

Jun 2016
i thought alice will gonna use excalibur from saber Fate zero but i was wrong LOL
i love this series compared to previous series of SAO !!!!
Nov 17, 2019 4:16 AM
Jun 2017
this is the real reason why i am hype about this second cour of said series... the fights were awesome as both party has shown their powers.

and by the way, GOBLIN SLAYER AND OVERLORD are so shy right now after seeing how the goblin has been animated and design in SAO. yeah..
Nov 17, 2019 5:25 AM

Feb 2018
skyUFO said:
I was laughing the whole episode lol superb action!

That shit was crazy. RIP Dakira, you have my respect.
Nov 17, 2019 5:30 AM

Jun 2017
Damn, this episode was really good, this is by far the best episode yet for this series. I really liked the fight scenes, especially with that Archer and Fanatio. Hmmm... I wonder what the twins will try to do to Kirito, also, what will happen to that Deserter, and she calls herself an Integrity Knight.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2019

261 by futurelemon »»
Apr 15, 9:24 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2019

193 by RicFie »»
Apr 13, 10:27 AM

Poll: » Favorite SAO couple? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 17, 10:24 AM

» why do people like alice? ( 1 2 )

JoshMan - Oct 23, 2019

72 by DiamSilver »»
Feb 5, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2019

160 by dilaxd »»
Jan 17, 1:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.