Forum Settings
Forums

Is it ever okay to punish a kid by hitting them?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Nov 14, 3:32 PM

My mother beating me with a belt at every little thing: I sleep.

My father saying he is disappointed in me: real shit.

"The one with the biggest brains have the smallest penile lengths." - Jordan B. Peterson

Nov 14, 3:51 PM

as long as the kid doesn't show off the bruises or tattle to anybody, it should be fine to beat them to a very fair extent

Nov 14, 4:54 PM

If I ever end up being a mother I would never beat my kid. Talking or grounding them is a better way to teach than by physical punishment.

Un coup de dés

jamais
n'abolira

le hasard

Nov 14, 6:00 PM

Yarub said:
Kosmonaut said:
My father beat me with a frying pan once, but I'm still this amazing and awesome human being. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone?
Whoa, that's some hard-core shit right there. Elaborate more, did he atleast knock you the fuck out? If not, that is quite lenient of him.
He was washing the dishes after lunch during weekend. I was about 14. I was in the living room close to kitchen talking to my younger sister. Out of nowhere he comes with a frying pan in hand towards me, then bam, a frying pan to the back. Unfortunately it didn't knock me out, I never passed out, my life is incomplete. The weird thing is that it was the only time he ever beat me, the fucking madman.

Nov 14, 6:18 PM
UwU

As a last resort only, when timeouts, grounding, positive bribery doesn't work~

"The Imagination is a weapon
 Those who don't use it die first."

Nov 14, 6:18 PM

Use leather belt and whip their ass.
My Integrity Knight can't be this fluffy!

Nov 14, 6:36 PM

Would you mock a handicap person for not being able to move their legs and push em off stairs for their disability?

Kids are pretty much the same in that they PHYSICALLY do not have the brain cells nor experience to comprehend the repercussions of their actions.

People who rationalize that hitting kids is okay are perpetually masturbating their fragile egos(due to being raised beaten or trying to be "tough").

Nov 15, 12:11 AM

it depends tbh but maybe taking away their things they value seems justified

Nov 15, 2:01 AM

If the reason is just to fit into some sort of box where you think you're better for not smacking your kids than I'd say that's not OK. Physical force has been used as a method of raising offspring by many mammals for ages including humans. I think it's what keeps a lot of us alive. Howeverrr, there's a difference between light disciplinary force and outright abuse. I don't think it should be a common practice or anything nonetheless still a practice to be used sparingly (if at all)

Nov 15, 2:05 AM

No, violence is not the answer. Just take away their phone or something they cling onto very often and tell them you won't give it back to them until they behave properly.

Nov 15, 2:23 AM

If you can raise a child without punishment, you should. But if you do need to punish a child, smacking is the least cruel option. Prolonged 'alternative' punishments are a terrible idea.

Nov 15, 2:25 AM

Kosmonaut said:
Yarub said:
Whoa, that's some hard-core shit right there. Elaborate more, did he atleast knock you the fuck out? If not, that is quite lenient of him.
He was washing the dishes after lunch during weekend. I was about 14. I was in the living room close to kitchen talking to my younger sister. Out of nowhere he comes with a frying pan in hand towards me, then bam, a frying pan to the back. Unfortunately it didn't knock me out, I never passed out, my life is incomplete. The weird thing is that it was the only time he ever beat me, the fucking madman.
not how I expected this story to pan out

Nov 15, 8:36 AM
AxxLife said:
Klad said:
Yes? Board games can actually make a kid smarter unlike phones which will fuck up their eyes too.

well I'm sure 99% of children nowadays would prefer to use a phone than play some lame board game. Doesn't matter if it makes them smarter at all. We are talking entertainment here. If you were a child in this day and age you also would much rather use a phone/tablet than play a board game.

"lame board game"
imagine thinking that the only board game is monopoly

Nov 15, 9:25 AM
Yes, it's perfectly okay to hit a kid to make them obedient. My parents hit me all the time when I was a kid and still will if i act out since I haven't moved my lazy ass out yet. This is pretty common amongst Asian families more often so than american ones.
FUCK THE CHARACTER COUNT CHECK!

Nov 15, 12:16 PM

bro i fucking love all the cynicals in here who just don't care when a child is getting abused. that's why you're alone my god

no, it's never justified to abuse a child and bring fear to them. it doesn't even work in theory that they will get well behaved. they won't even know what they did wrong at that age if you just hit them due to your anger problems lol

explain to the kid what they did wrong, and what they should do instead to make a better choice in the future. easy

i also love the guy who said "gay frog". straight dudes can't insult for shit it just becomes funny

Nov 15, 1:09 PM

No, because I think punishment isnt just about discipline (although that is a massive part of it) but about teaching them a lesson. If a child hits their sibling, you need to punish them: time out, take away toys/electronics, remove privileges or not let them play outside. Then make them learn a lesson on why hitting is bad, explain to them why its bad, make them apologise to their sibling or write a note to say sorry.

If you hit your child, not only is it borderline child abuse, what do they learn from it? If youre naughty you get hit? So with the previous example, if you hit someone you get hit back? All you teach a child by hitting them is violence and that violence is okay. Also loads of studies have shown hitting children doesn't do any good...

I mean, I was smacked when I was a child. Only if I was really naughty. I remember if I was messing about my parents would use it as a threat, "with the way youre acting youre asking for a smack" "if you keep on messing about you will get a battering"... I dont remember much when I was little but I remember when I was actually hit or just threatened to be I just felt scared, really scared. No child should be scared of their own parents. It not right.
Modified by Seijatachiiii, Nov 15, 1:20 PM

Nov 15, 3:44 PM
Seijatachiiii said:
No, because I think punishment isnt just about discipline (although that is a massive part of it) but about teaching them a lesson. If a child hits their sibling, you need to punish them: time out, take away toys/electronics, remove privileges or not let them play outside. Then make them learn a lesson on why hitting is bad, explain to them why its bad, make them apologise to their sibling or write a note to say sorry.

If you hit your child, not only is it borderline child abuse, what do they learn from it? If youre naughty you get hit? So with the previous example, if you hit someone you get hit back? All you teach a child by hitting them is violence and that violence is okay. Also loads of studies have shown hitting children doesn't do any good...

I mean, I was smacked when I was a child. Only if I was really naughty. I remember if I was messing about my parents would use it as a threat, "with the way youre acting youre asking for a smack" "if you keep on messing about you will get a battering"... I dont remember much when I was little but I remember when I was actually hit or just threatened to be I just felt scared, really scared. No child should be scared of their own parents. It not right.

The lesson is if you hit someone, then you are going to be hit twice as hard. Thats the point.

Nov 15, 4:02 PM

Railey2 said:
Kosmonaut said:
not how I expected this story to pan out
Yeah, I expected a cooking pot, maybe even a wok, but damn, didn't see the frying pan coming because my father has high cholesterol and it doesn't sound too christian.

Nov 16, 12:00 PM

ExiLec said:
bro i fucking love all the cynicals in here who just don't care when a child is getting abused. that's why you're alone my god

no, it's never justified to abuse a child and bring fear to them. it doesn't even work in theory that they will get well behaved. they won't even know what they did wrong at that age if you just hit them due to your anger problems lol

explain to the kid what they did wrong, and what they should do instead to make a better choice in the future. easy

i also love the guy who said "gay frog". straight dudes can't insult for shit it just becomes funny
Bro why are you seething?

Let's not pretend that talking always worked.
I mean it worked with my younger brother but it definitely didn't work with me.

Anyway, there's a difference between discipline and abuse.
Don't lump them together.
Don't bother if you don't know how special effects were done without computers.

Nov 16, 1:14 PM

It depends on what they did and how bad it was, as well as where you spank them. Spanking them on the face or with a object is never okay though.

Nov 17, 10:21 AM

Cabron said:
ExiLec said:

bro go to therapy to fix your anger issues. don't be a pussy and hit a child just because you can't contain your anger omgggggg you sound like you must be the victim here. and you're an adult. damn grow up

Nov 17, 11:50 AM

To sum it up in one simple word:

NO!!!

Nov 17, 12:45 PM

ExiLec said:
Cabron said:

bro go to therapy to fix your anger issues. don't be a pussy and hit a child just because you can't contain your anger omgggggg you sound like you must be the victim here. and you're an adult. damn grow up
Hmmm nice assumptions bro, not cool.

Don't bother if you don't know how special effects were done without computers.

Nov 17, 3:16 PM

Klad said:
phones which will fuck up their eyes too.
My 8 yr old niece has them big ass glasses. shes been peering at that ipad shit for like 7 years Hell even I didnt have a tougscrren/smartphone till 2016

OT:
Kids should be beat up.

but only in lower doses or & to let them know the seriousness of what they did, how wrong it was.

Just whaling on them actually reverses the effect.

Nov 17, 9:13 PM

It's hard to say. For me, I grew up getting hit by my parents but it was traditional and nothing wrong with parents hitting their kids in Korea back then. Hack, even teachers could hit students back then(now, it's lot different).

This changed after I moved to Canada and my parents were laying their hands on me less and less, eventually they never hit me again.

I think hitting kids can be justified if they did something horribly wrong(though I would never advise hitting a small children), but that should be the only time and obviously nothing extremely violent, maybe spanking kids or slapping their face if it's a teenager, but nothing more than that.

Nov 17, 9:21 PM

My uncle beat me like a dog, and I turned out fine...

I might be scared of going outside, interacting with strangers, and every time I hear a zipper opening or closing I go down in a fetal position next to a wall, but other than that, I'm super.

Nov 17, 9:24 PM

Klad said:
AxxLife said:

No it's not dumb. What do you expect them to do, play board games for entertainment? lmao
Yes? Board games can actually make a kid smarter unlike phones which will fuck up their eyes too.

Or play outside. Which costs even less than board games and is completely free, and actually helps them develop not just mentally but also physically. As well as help them learn some actual face to face communication skills, instead of chatting on social media and messaging apps all the time.

Nov 17, 11:13 PM

I'm fine with light physical punishment as long as it isn't the first thing you reach for.
I wound up teaching my youngest brother to stay out of the road when he was little (I was his caregiver when I was 19-22) by lightly swatting his hand once and then mine twice. Hitting my hand being a reminder of what happens if he went in the road, without having to hit him multiple times. I was all about positive reinforcement and time outs 99% of the time but it worked, he never went in the road without permission again.

Nov 18, 7:00 PM

Yes most little bastards dont get beat enough

Dec 2, 8:11 PM

I grew up in that kind of household but if I ever had a child I don't think I would resort to abuse or violence to "punish" them. There are plenty of other ways to discipline a child and personally, these forms of violence didn't make me more obedient or anything. Instead, it just made me fear my parents more and in turn made me feel colder towards them I guess

Dec 4, 4:34 PM

People are either overworked and don't know what they are doing in this moment or they are looking for excuses to use violence.
The kid will learn nothing besides they can't trust you and you aren't a stable person. In the worst case they might end as much as a terrible person as their abuser. It's pathetic and might leave scars on their psyche, if it happens often and violently.

Dec 5, 9:13 AM

I know that adults often use the excuse that well it happened to them and they turned out fine,so it´s totally cool to do it to their child.But in my opinion,I wouldn´t really want to gamble on the possibility that my child will turn out either completely normal(albeit quite mentally damaged on the inside),or a violent psycopath due to the physical abuse.This is coming from someone who never suffered from that kind of abuse.
Modified by Missaliensan, Dec 5, 9:17 AM

Dec 7, 11:53 PM

If a child does something severe, it absolutely warrants physical punishment. If a parent brings out too much of either the carrot or the stick, the child will end up warped.

Dec 8, 12:53 AM

I was spanked as a child. I was naturally afraid of getting spanked, but despite this it didn't make me behave. Instead my thinking shifted to "how can I get away with this and avoid a spanking" rather than "I shouldn't do this" and then later "I'll only get a spanking if I do this".

Granted this is anecdotal, but I doubt I'm unique in this experience.

Dec 8, 12:58 PM

largely depends on your parenting method. I've seem those who use spanking or corporeal punishments too often and get no lasting good results...then some kids get that and are super proper after they grow into adulthood.

Then you get cases where parents never or rarely got physical with their kids and the kids turned out fine.

I think some physical punishment is necessary, but should only be used as last resort. That means its really up to the parenting and teaching method of the adults in the house.

IMO, the best parents are the ones who can moderate their kids with minimal frequency of the use of physical force. The kids eventually learn what is proper vs not and most importantly they learn WHY something is the way it is.

If they know exactly the reason WHY they must behave a certain way and that there are consequences to every decision they make, then they are more likely to behave and mature. There are some kids in the world that grow up in squalor, but have matured years earlier than those who have everything and shit parents that don't know how to rear a child. The exact opposite can also happen, but lets just face it...there isn't much excuse for a well-to-do family failing at parentage - they've got most of their needs met, only thing that is required is Knowledgeable Effort.
Are you into creative writing? Check out the
"MAL Fanfic Fanfare Emporium!" by clicking Here

You can make a fanfic yourself, request one made for you,
or request one made for someone else on MAL. Read the
1st page on the thread to get a general idea of what's up.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]