Forum Settings
Forums
Nov 13, 9:18 AM

For me it would have to be when they put <First name Last Name>when you clearly hear the character say their surname first. It's just really irritating and creates cognitive dissonance. Same thing when I hear a character say "senpai" and the subtitle reads the character's name.
Subscribe to my Youtube: MariNate

Nov 13, 9:27 AM

I don't really mind it that much but yeah it can be jarring at first hearing a character call another one by his last name then in the subtitles it's the first name. lol

Nov 13, 9:27 AM

When you can hear the character say 'toire' and it doesn't get translated to 'toilet'. Also changing perfectly good units of measurement like 'degrees Celcius', 'kilometres' or incredibly, 'yen'.

When they try to find translations for 'itadakimasu' in situations where an English-speaking person just wouldn't say anything.

Over-literal translations of 'brother' or 'sister' or variations of such in situations where an English-speaking person would never say that.

Nov 13, 9:29 AM

When it has grammar mistakes and the font is too big/unclean to look at.

Nov 13, 9:31 AM

When they replace a Japanese joke with pun/wordplay with a nonsensical wordplay of their own. Just translate the damn pun and explain it in the translator's notes at the top of the screen, like in the old days of fansubs. I'd rather have the joke explained to me than sit there and cringe at the sorry attempt at original comedy from the translators. It happened a lot in Mitsuboshi Colors.
Modified by FloodBasalt, Nov 13, 9:55 AM

Nov 13, 9:35 AM

Superns18 said:
For me it would have to be when they put <First name Last Name>when you clearly hear the character say their surname first. It's just really irritating and creates cognitive dissonance. Same thing when I hear a character say "senpai" and the subtitle reads the character's name.

You've used the term "cognitive dissonance" incorrectly there, chum ;) To elaborate, if you'd believed and been told all your life that climate change was a myth and were then presented with incontrovertible proof that it actually isn't, what you would experience is cognitive dissonance, i.e. psychological stress as your ingrained belief was contrasted against new information. This is then either overcome, by accepting the truth based on fact, or embraced by going through denial.

Modified by CallMeHoot, Nov 13, 10:32 AM
Like I told my last wife, I said "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes." - Jack Burton

Nov 13, 9:35 AM

What I dislike about subtitles the most is when the translation isn't good.

Nov 13, 9:52 AM

Superns18 said:

I hate this so much I can't even

Add in the nee-chan/nii-chan thing also being changed to the first name...LIKE THAT IS NOT WHAT IT'S SAYING!!!

Good way to trigger me. xD

Nov 13, 9:52 AM

Sometimes multiple characters talking at the same time screen just wall of text with no signify who's talking which line.

Some fansub did solve it by highlighting sub in color toward character's hair/dress color, easier to get by.

Nov 13, 9:54 AM

When a change a show-specific term or phrase that's synonymous or specific to the show as it is in Japanese but loses its meaning or cool factor somewhat when translated to English.
Ya boy is going to Con+Alt+Delete 2019 in Chicago! See you there!

Nov 13, 10:01 AM

the first thing is the switching of names of course. I dont wanna read lucy bigtit when the anime clearly says bigtit lucy. like geeeezzzz

and the second thing i hate is translating puns and jokes.
DUDE you do not need to localise everything

Nov 13, 10:02 AM

Spelling errors... huge spelling errors. They drive me fucking insane.

Nov 13, 10:14 AM
It’s when there are placed at two or more places at a time. Like when multiple people are speaking at the same time, and you don’t know which is saying which and you end not completely reading the subs because it’s too fast
🖤Ideal Waifu🖤

Nov 13, 10:17 AM

Switched names;

when a character calls another onii-san/sama/chan etc and the subtitles say his name;

localized japanese terms;

Using Mr/Ms instead of honorifics.

A lot, thankfully I've gotten used to it.

Nov 13, 10:22 AM
When they blatantly ignore culturally sensitive or important nuances in the language in favor of something that's marginally more readable.

Nov 13, 10:28 AM

When they translate something like onigiri to jelly filled donuts
“The sound of the Gion Shoja temple bells echoes the impermanence of all things;
The color of the sala flowers reveals the truth that to flourish is to fall.
The proud do not endure, like a passing dream on a night in spring;
The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.”

Nov 13, 10:33 AM

The cringiest thing I've seen is trying to translate honorifics. For example, some geniuses translate "-san" as "mister" (well at least this is ok), "-sama" as "dear" or even "-senpai" as "mister"

Nov 13, 10:39 AM

Nemo_Niemand said:
The cringiest thing I've seen is trying to translate honorifics. For example, some geniuses translate "-san" as "mister" (well at least this is ok), "-sama" as "dear" or even "-sempai" as "mister"

I get that, but I don't think it's cringey. Some people who watch anime don't have a vested interest in the specifics of Japanese speech or culture (in fact most people who claim to don't, they just think it's "cool").

I'm actually trying to learn Japanese (more because I've always been interested in Japan and it's history than because I've come to like anime, in fact my interest predates my first anime by decades) and there is no real translation for honorifics to English, but to Joe Soap on the street, if he wants to know what all the -sans, -chans and -kuns are about it's often the best way to describe them, although I agree that if you can't translate the overall meaning of it then just leave it out.
Modified by CallMeHoot, Nov 13, 10:47 AM
Like I told my last wife, I said "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes." - Jack Burton

Nov 13, 10:43 AM

I find honorifics a bit annoying, and I prefer it when they're not there.

Nov 13, 10:52 AM

when they translate "teme" or "kisama" as "you bitch" and "you whore", i mean, I'm no expert but couldn't they find out something different?

And the joke answer would be when they translate "saitei da!" as "I'm the lowest of the low!" :))
"Even if there's a wide world and stories
beyond the main focus, I don't think
it's necessary to end with the protagonist having
been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

Houseki no Kuni Club

Nov 13, 11:06 AM
Two people talking at the same time, need I say more?
Modified by P6N, Nov 13, 11:10 AM

Nov 13, 11:13 AM
P6N said:

this^^

also when the subs are too fast

Having to pause or rewind is the worst
Modified by removed-user, Nov 13, 12:18 PM

Nov 13, 11:37 AM
I mean yeah, those issues are all real (honorifics translations, changing the order of names, people talking at the same time, translating 'senpai' or 'onii-san' with the name of the characters, re-translating english loanwords into a different english term, general translation issues of puns and phrases etc...).

But at the end of the day none of those really hinder my understanding of what is going on in an scene. Newer fans probably aren't too familiar with the 'real' issues because of the professionalization of subbing over the last 10 years or so, but as someone who has watched a lot of fansubs, including many old ones done by people with probably no english skills at all aside from maybe a dictionary, let me assure you it can be much, much worse.
Klad said:
When it has grammar mistakes

When the subs are done by people whose english is worse than that of my grandparents, it's just a borderline dealbreaker. You just start to feel like you're becoming more stupid if you keep reading subs that barely form coherent sentences, not to mention that you have to piece together what is actually meant based on the context of what you see in a scene and maybe the two or three keywords from the subs (verbs and nouns), in the hopes that they at least got the translation of the individual words right, even if there is no coherent grammar to the sentence.

Anyone who ever had to endure HK subs or any other kind of google translate subs knows what I'm talking about. I mean I did still watch dozens or even hundreds of episodes like that including the first 20 eps of LOGH and the entirety of Slam Dunk & Sindbad no Bouken, but it definitely took its toll on the overall viewing experience.

The latter had an additional perk that I don't see mentioned yet but which I have encountered a handful of times: When they completely change the names of the characters in the subs.

Like, you will hear 'Michael' and the subs say 'Thomas'. It happens more often than you'd think, for one simple reason - The subbers sometimes don't use the japanese audio as the source for their translations (either because it wasn't available to them, or because they can't speak japanese). If they use the dub from their main language (whatever that is) to make english subs, it is not unusual to see characters have different, localized names in the dubs and to see these names reflected in the subs as well, even tho in the japanese audio they have totally different names. Even the japanese do that when they adapt Three Kingdoms stuff occasionally. So yeah, that adds an extra layer of fun to the subs.

At their very worst subs with issues like these can make an anime literally unwatchable because it is impossible to even guess the meaning of subs. I had to drop this movie after 20 or so minutes because despite it having english subs, it felt like I was watching it RAW.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2388/Tachiguishi_Retsuden
Modified by Pullman, Nov 13, 11:40 AM

Aesthetic value can be recognized or experienced, but it cannot be conveyed to those who are incapable of grasping its sensations and perceptions. To quarrel on its behalf is always a blunder.

Nov 13, 11:41 AM
Nemo_Niemand said:
The cringiest thing I've seen is trying to translate honorifics. For example, some geniuses translate "-san" as "mister" (well at least this is ok), "-sama" as "dear" or even "-senpai" as "mister"

Yeah, this was always a huge pet peeve for me. It never was a dealbreaker, but I absolutely loathe it.

That's the one that comes to mind for me.

Nov 13, 11:43 AM

Same thing you mentioned. When I'm clearly hearing the character say one thing yet it gets swapped or changed unnecessarily. I see subtitles all the time that translate "onii-chan" to the characters name. If you think "brother" or "big bro" sounds so cringey, just leave it as "onii-chan" in the subtitles and put a translators note if you think people actually need one at this point considering everyone already knows what these words mean.

Nov 13, 11:44 AM

Everything said above, except that comment saying that honorifics should be skipped.

I add, badly timed subtitles.

When someone's dialogue abruptly changes/stops because of spoiler, and the subtitle is two lines including the spoiling part.

In the good times, the subtitler would break the line in two, and show the spoiler at the last possible moment.

Now we get nonsense such as this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgS47BA12GQ
Why would someone singing about grooming rabbits say "dynamite"?
It's supposed to be unexpected.
Shit subtitle shows it several seconds early.

For example, the italian FANsub I watched for that, did a good job, by breaking the song in various, goodly timed, subtitles, and the "dynamite" hit only when she effectively screamed it.

This is just an example, but nowadays subtitles do those shit errors continuously.
Even Crunchyroll/Funimation subs. ESPECIALLY those subs.
Don't @ or quote me when I express an opinion in a post.

If you agree with my opinion, you can tell me how awesome I am by sending me a PM or a Friend Request.

If you don't agree with my opinion, remember that opinions are personal and biased.
We can have different ones, so you don't have to force or convince me into yours. And mine is better anyway.

Please follow what I said above, so I can know for sure my notifications are 100% new anime, saved anime starting airing, and morons not reading my signature.
You don't want to be mistaken for one, do you?

Nov 13, 12:31 PM

P6N said:

How about five people talking at once? :D

yes I've seen it

Nov 13, 12:34 PM

Catalano said:
when they translate "teme" or "kisama" as "you bitch" and "you whore", i mean, I'm no expert but couldn't they find out something different?

Like what? It's just a really rude way to say "you" so I think if the character is addressing a woman, "bitch" is acceptable. lol (whore is kinda weird though)

But I think subbing it as "YOU" is lame. xD

Nov 13, 12:49 PM

Yeah like a lot have mentioned hearing one thing and reading something different is a big no-no (Name order, Honorifics, common frases). It takes you right out of the experience.

Another is timing. Somehow english subtitles especially official ones tend to not time short lines individually if they are spoken shortly after one another. Instead they opt for showing what both characters say for the whole scene but with a hyphen indicating that it's from different characters. I mean is it really that difficult to just split these and time them?

Both of these problems bother me so much that I actively correct the subtitles while I watch. (Yeah I know - let's call it a bad case of OCD)

Nov 13, 12:54 PM

I like when the subs keep important honorific and keep in the text the words exclusive of the Japanese vocabulary when it would be near impossible to translate into English. However, what I absolutely hate is when they keep Japanese word when there is no reason at all since the translation is easily doable. The translator just want to keep as much japanese word as possible in the subs because Japanese is such as superior language. It leads to text saying "Tadaima Onii-chan" or simpler term such as "Baka", "Kawaii", "sugoi". Really embarrassing.

Nov 13, 12:55 PM

Honestly, only small ones or incorrect ones. Anything else is negligible to me.

An empty head bloomed with blossoms.

Nov 13, 1:03 PM

Details missed in translation. For example: If you see the spanish subs in Kaguya-sama (on Crunchyroll) they basically cut out half of the jokes or explanations the characters uses, for some strange reason.

Besides things like I will say when the subs are yellow, it feels weird in my eyes.

Nov 13, 1:06 PM

Subtitles are the reason I wish I spoke Japanese - I feel like a lot of the subtlety of the dialogue, not to mention character tone, is lost in translation.

And in the case of Netflix, shitty translation.
#PrayForKyoAni

Nov 13, 1:10 PM

"young midoriya" or "big brother"
They're accurate translations but get on my nerves sometimes.

But by far the worst offenders are when they try turn a Japanese joke into an English joke that doesn't make sense to non-native English speakers.

I miss translator notes.

Nov 13, 1:17 PM

Localization is the worst offence. I don't like when Americans/Brits change kilograms, meters or things like junior high 2nd year. I want to see all the important details in the translation , like honorifics, gender neutral pronouns/terms or name order. Also, it's annoying when there are multiple people speaking and the subs devolve into a wall of white text taking half of the screen .
I don't know how to describe myself in a signature, so I won't

Oh wait

Nov 13, 1:21 PM

Basically the same that annoys me about a dub, except to a lesser degree - The changing of some dialogue. Sub isn't as egregious about this as dub (and with dub the auditory experience is sullied as well, since obviously the voices are different and chosen voices not to my liking), but it's still a factor.

If you're familiar with even a very beginner level of conversational Japanese whether through study and practice on your own or learning by ear through watching a lot of Japanese films and anime leading to eventual osmosis, you know at least multiple times in an individual episode when a spoken line is not matching up with the subbed translation. It's capturing the spirit, usually, in good subs, but it's not literal. And even though there really is no exact 1:1 translation between a lot of languages, it could still usually be closer than it is.

An example is when they just say one word in Japanese like "hidoi", meaning mean/cruel and extrapolate a whole random sentence out of that in the subtitles. It does get me thinking though, "Is the dialogue in some of these anime to native ears a lot more simplistic and repetitive than some of the subbed translation"?

As I said, I don't find it overly jarring or cringy though, because even though I'd rather be getting as literal and precise as possible (call me a purist), the dialogue that replaces it or is added to it, in quality subs, is not nearly as cringy, obnoxious, or localized as dubbed scripts, which come across as full rewrites of the show. It usually still sounds like the logical extension of the natural original dialogue rather than foreign slang and colloquialisms shoved in.

I actually prefer it when the honorifics are left out and it's just shortened to the first name of a given character, since there's no English equivalent and I can still hear the kun, sama, etc by ear and prefer not to mix Japanese and English dialogue in a subbed line.
Modified by WatchTillTandava, Nov 13, 1:28 PM

Nov 13, 1:27 PM
FullyCharged said:
Everything said above, except that comment saying that honorifics should be skipped.

I add, badly timed subtitles.

When someone's dialogue abruptly changes/stops because of spoiler, and the subtitle is two lines including the spoiling part.

Yeah I forgot timing issues. Those might literally be the worst for me, even 1 second off makes something completely unwatchable for me. Tho I have never encountered this as a consistent issue in anime, it only happens when I try to find english subtitles for american TV Series or Movies and there are a million different versions for different rips.

Aesthetic value can be recognized or experienced, but it cannot be conveyed to those who are incapable of grasping its sensations and perceptions. To quarrel on its behalf is always a blunder.

Nov 13, 1:33 PM

When they don't translate sufixes like -san to "Miss" or -chan to "Lady" or simmilar cases and just leave it -chan or -san or whatever the sufix is.Please don't do a half-ass job, either translate it all or put the sufixes out of the subtitles;;

Nov 13, 1:36 PM

when a character says a japanese word and the subtitles have that japanese word written instead of the english version of that word, for example:
when a character says the word "onii-chan" and the subtitles have the word "onii-chan" instead of the english word for it, "brother" (best way i could have explained)
its just cringy, and kinda 'weeb-ish' in way

Nov 13, 1:45 PM

All the problems OP mentioned arise from differences between languages and different preferences in the degree of localization make it impossible for translators to please everyone.
I really enjoy those "helicopter ride" memes

Nov 13, 1:50 PM
n e k o

I don't like that they are not usually literally translated (which I know is probably an odd opinion). If I know what the actual sentence is in Japanese but the translation is not correct, I get annoyed. For example, if they use a word that you know means 'useless', but in English it's a long sentence like, "That's not worth it/I'm not good at this, etc". Well, I know they didn't say that sentence. I know what they really said. So, if trying to learn a certain Japanese word or phrase through anime, it can be harder because every time it comes up, the English translation of it is changed to different things. I also find it less efficient and the wasted reading time unnecessary.

Nov 13, 2:05 PM
SternRitterE

I don't mind most subs, it's just the fan subs that gets me sometimes. The ones where they put their own text above the actual line with those weird emojis like T-T or a reaction to what the character in the anime is saying. It just takes up more space, feels more cluttered and more effort for me to read.

Nov 13, 2:07 PM

Just According to Keikaku

(TL note: Keikaku means plan)

Nov 13, 4:12 PM

Treuherzig said:
When they don't translate sufixes like -san to "Miss" or -chan to "Lady" or simmilar cases and just leave it -chan or -san or whatever the sufix is.Please don't do a half-ass job, either translate it all or put the sufixes out of the subtitles;;

It's not doing a "half-assed" job if there is no accurate way to translate the suffix though. Omitting it altogether isn't good either, especially in manga where the reader can't hear anything. In anime, not seeing the subtitle acknowledge it is plain distracting.

So I'll never omit '-chan' in translations, sorry. :/ "Lady" and '-chan' are nothing alike at all.
Modified by Chiibi, Nov 13, 4:15 PM

Nov 13, 4:24 PM

Meme subs are the worst because you know the subbers have no respect for their 'audience' or the material. I'm going through a series with comprehensible HK DVD subs right now, and I almost prefer that because at least I can imagine the 'translation' wasn't done by someone wearing a huge, autistic sneer.

Nov 13, 4:32 PM

when they force current year terms into it.

Nov 13, 5:18 PM
Rika♥

Hmm it's kind of annoying when i can clearly hear a character say "onii-chan", but the subs translate it as the guy's name instead. Even to an English viewer, it's clear she's not saying his name. They seem to be against using the word "brother" in subtitles.

Nov 13, 6:43 PM

I agree with pretty much everything everyone said lol...

I'll add three things that really annoy me:

- When fansubs use weird/unusual fonts that are hard to read.

- I watch mostly spanish subbed and there are fansubs out there that apparently just take the english or japanese subs and Google-translate them. So you end up reading some nonsensical shit, like how "Hinata-sama" became "Virgin Hinata" one time while watching Naruto, lol...

- "Zipper Man". I don't need to add anything else. "Zipper Man".

Nov 13, 7:52 PM

The reason why designations/ honorofics are important is because if the story is set in Japan, they carry very important meaning to show the relationship and chemistry between the characters. I still don't know why the professional translators feel the urge to americanize everything.

This is why I was furious when Kaguya calls Miyuki by "Kaichou" i.e. President but it was officially subbed to his name which becomes a really important plot point later down the line (yeah, we are getting a glorious S2!).

Honorifics and first/ last name basis are also important as they show closeness/ distance of the characters like how the quints use combination of first and last name of Fuutarou with suffixes -kun, -san or without anything in Go-toubun no Hanayome.

I am okay with typos. But the worst is definitely mistakes in official translations that change the meaning. I have seen it happen so many times in official translations. Like in UtaPri, they killed the MC's grandmother, in Hibike, Taki-sensei became the friend of Reina's father (when it should have been his father who was the friend), and last week (senshuu) becoming last month (sengetsu), this month (kongetsu) becoming this year (kotoshi), and so on. I mean how do they make such Jap Level 101 mistakes is beyond me.
<<<< Click to see how you may #HelpKyoAniHeal

Nov 13, 8:15 PM
A lot of the time I will not pay attention to the subtitles at all because I understand quite a bit of conversational Japanese. Sometimes I will get to a part that I don't understand and I will go like a minute or so before realizing I had no idea what they just said so I have to go back and read the subtitles. This doesn't happen often, but with anime like Steins;Gate or Mahouka Kouko where there are a lot of technical or non-conversational terms thrown around it really throws me for a loop.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »