Forum Settings
Forums

How do you feel about backstory episodes in anime? Any favorites? Why?

New
Nov 13, 2019 12:42 AM
Nov 2016
Over the years, I've found that episodes showcasing the reveal of a character's backstory (when done well) tend to rank among my favorites in any series. To me, having an in-depth, relatable, or at the very least, entertaining cast of characters is essential if you want the show in question to make a lasting impression on its audience. Intriguing characters can carry a series in a way an intriguing plot often can't. Thus, learning about a character's past isn't just a great way to humanize and endear them to the viewers. In the best-case scenario, it'll also give those viewers a reason to care about the plot surrounding that character if they weren't invested already.

Some of the best episodes that did this for me took every preconceived notion I had about a character and turned them on their head. Others merely took some facet of the character's life that had only been hinted at before and expanded on it quite nicely. Whatever the case, I always finished the episodes feeling like I understood a character's deal much better. And with that understanding, I was more excited than ever to see how the rest of the story would unfold around them as they grew and changed.

With all this in mind, my favorite backstory episodes in anime include (but aren't limited to):
* Episode 22 - "Electra the Traitor" from "Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water."
* Episode 34 - "The Rose Crest" from "Revolutionary Girl Utena."
* Episodes 147 and 148 - "The Tragic Love Song of Destiny" (Parts 1 and 2) from "InuYasha."
* Episode 4 - "Land of Adults -- Natural Right --" from "Kino's Journey" (2003)
* Episode 3 - "Mother" from "Fullmetal Alchemist" (2003)
* Episode 7 - "Showering Sound of Cicadas: Spirits Down the River" from "Sound of the Sky" (This one I like maybe to a lesser extent than the others, but I still thought it was worth mentioning.)
And finally...
* Episode 10 - "I Won't Rely on Anyone Anymore" from "Puella Magi Madoka Magica." (An obvious one, I know, but it fits the bill for the kind(s) of episodes I'm talking about here.)

So! What are your guys' opinions about character backstory episodes in anime? Do you love them? Hate them? Are you indifferent? If so, why? And are there any backstories in recent memory that stand out to you? If you couldn't tell, I've been thinking about this topic for a while and am genuinely interested in how others might respond! ^_^

Rheanne_HarknessMar 4, 2023 2:19 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 13, 2019 1:30 AM
Aug 2016
I love anime where it shows the backstory of a character, makes me like/hate that character even more. Makes me feel like I know that character more than I did before.
Nov 13, 2019 1:53 AM

Dec 2017
They are important to know the characters better and understand their motives. Represents a fine line between love and hate. I dare to say that One Piece has the best backstory episodes.
Nov 13, 2019 2:23 AM

Jan 2010
Yes, I love them. It's a very important element in story telling imo.
Especially for me that think characters is the most important element of a story.
Nov 13, 2019 2:31 AM

Jan 2015
hate[when it ends up eating the whole episode] sometimes indifferent[2-3min is ok though] ;especially when those episodes comes while the anime is still airing feels like a whole week wasted .

i hate the typical cliche backstories[boho that character had a bad/sad past] like the ones in one piece,naruto,fairy tail

wow don't remember liking a backstory for an anime at the top of my head.guess i'll need to watch more anime.

Nov 13, 2019 4:41 AM

Nov 2011
Yeah, a backstory is usually among the best part of the anime/manga.
Even when it has nothing to do with the plot (?) like Bungou Stray Dogs lol (which is a boring anime imo).
The first reason why I think because a backstory is usually more serious and denser compared to the main story, Rurouni Kenshin is the famous example.
One of the most memorable the backstory is about the main antagonist in Higurashi. Umineko's main culprit backstory is even better, because the theme of the series is "whydunnit".
Jim_HeartNov 13, 2019 4:45 AM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Nov 13, 2019 5:22 AM

Oct 2008
I love backstory episodes, I always look forward to them.
Shingeki no Kyoujin (Mikasa)
Grisaia no Kajitsu (protagonist's sister)
Zetsuen no Tempest (protagonists)
And many others.

When the idea of the anime isn't original or interesting (to me). When the plot development or subplot isn't compelling or interesting. And when the character development or relationship building is boring.
I especially love when an anime series's prequel comes out after the 1st season has already finished airing. Or when half of an anime is its backstory (Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, Grisaia no Kajitsu and others)

I rate anime on visuals, plot, Backstory and end. So backstory to me is paramount, preferably not scenes here and there, but entire episodes dedicated to the backstory.
Nov 13, 2019 12:18 PM

May 2009
I like backstory episodes, as part of my enjoyment of the general trope of humanizing and fleshing out characters.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 13, 2019 5:41 PM

Oct 2013
As long as it's the backstory of someone who's actually relevant to the plot, I'm fine with them.
Nov 13, 2019 5:47 PM

Mar 2016
Backstory adds to a story, it shines light on a characters, well....origin story, who they were before they were who they are now, I really like those kinds of episodes, as it also just makes you like the character more.
Just an avid anime watcher of 18 years, not much else I could say about myself (that I don't want to reveal, of course, just ask if you wanna know more!)

"So...look up, face forward, toward your chosen horizon and just...walk on." - Noah, Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Nov 13, 2019 6:08 PM

Apr 2015
I hate backstory as it makes me felt the author has ran out of idea to progressing the plot forward, so he can only do backward n introduce new character from the past...

The only exception probably is Homura back story from Madoka Magica, where the backstory is necessary to complete the plot.

Try reading Spy x Family Manga ^_^
U will love it, i promise...
Nov 13, 2019 7:18 PM
Jul 2018
I absolutely love backstories in anime, but that might be partly because I'm a huge slice of life fan and they are usually done well in those kinds of series and don't seem like a random insert.

I will always have a place in my anime-loving heart for the backstories in Nana, especially the ones at the beginning that show both Nana Komatsu's and Nana Osaki's pasts before deciding to move to Tokyo. They served as a very effective way of showing both womens' differences in personalities and values, which set the stage for their actions later in the series.
I also loved Takumi's backstory in the manga, which sadly has not been adapted into anime. It changed my opinion on him quite a bit and helped me understand his background and attachment to Reira better. It also kind of helped to justify what he has done and how he has acted in the series, as well as his priorities. I mean... yes, he is still kind of an ass in a lot of situations but his backstory definitely humanized and added dimension to him. I really hope the second season of Nana comes out someday so anime-only fans can experience it and understand this really hated character a little better. And if they make another season or more and don't include it... well, damn, I'd be really disappointed.

My other favorite character backstory is Shimada's from Sangatsu no Lion. Probably my favorite part of the whole series, to be honest. It added to his characterization greatly and is part of what made me love him as a character. He is just a modest guy with insecurities he fights through the best he can, and I really admire that in him.
removed-userNov 13, 2019 8:47 PM
Nov 13, 2019 7:19 PM

May 2013
I love them as long as we don't get one flashback for every character that appear, like in Naruto. That's kinda annoying.
Nov 13, 2019 7:28 PM

Jul 2017
I like it when it's done...only when the timing is right. Like if it's done during the middle on an epic encounter, then it just becomes a drag and I find myself wanting to get a move on with things (like in Gintama, Ping Pong the Animation). Or, if it's done when it really has no use anymore, like with KnY always put backstories after whatever baddy died then it's just useless empathy

But otherwise, it can be pretty good at helping to understand the character, most notably in Kono Oto Tomare or Fruits Basket did it really well (like Hanajima's backstory dayumm)
Nov 13, 2019 10:22 PM
Jul 2018
I love those episodes so much.. I'm watching Inuyasha right now and it takes care of establishing background of almost all characters so well, in a gradual manner too. I tend to enjoy those episodes a lot more than the episodes that are eventful.

You are right about how such episodes humanize characters and make them endearing to us, give us a reason to care about the plot and so on. This is why I love every character from Inuyasha. I don't feel dislike even towards Naraku. And, I wait for those episodes where we get to see more background of every character..:)
Nov 14, 2019 12:20 AM

Feb 2019
I love them especially if it's something relatable like ishigami's backstory in kaguya sama or really well done backstories like nanachi from made in abyss or gintoki form gintama.
Nov 14, 2019 12:40 AM

Jul 2016
I like backstory episodes because to me at least they tend to be a nice break from the main storyline.I just find it really fascinating to find out about a time in the character's life that was different from the present.
Nov 14, 2019 3:19 AM

Nov 2016
I love backstories there are just a simple way to convey a character's motivation or sometimes they can give us a different perspective into the story. Some of my favourites are the golden age arc in berserk, beatrice's backstory in umineko and kikyo and robin's backstories in inuyasha and one piece
Nov 14, 2019 6:32 AM

Jun 2016
The backstory episodes from the third season of hajime no ippo were really well done and I enjoyed the change of pace and style they had. And that's coming from someone who doesn't like the anti-american sentiment a lot of anime have.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Nov 14, 2019 7:56 AM

Apr 2019
Good characters will carry the show for me no matter if it's bad or good. So naturally developing characters in your show is something I will always support. Even better if instead of a 5 minute flashback they take an entire episode to develop a character and their past/backstory.
Nov 14, 2019 8:28 AM

May 2018
I really like them because I get to know the characters more and get a little bit of explanation why some characters are the way they are. Backstories affect me a lot and how I feel about certain characters.
Nov 14, 2019 12:22 PM
Jul 2018
There are too many good ones out there to list but I'll mention a stand out backstory episode: ep 12 Mushishi (Ginko). Easily the best episode of the series.
Nov 19, 2019 9:34 AM

Sep 2016
Elfen Lied!!! it was simple,connected to the story still,sad,happy and cute
Nov 19, 2019 9:40 AM

Sep 2014
Im not really a fan of them, either they happen directly before an "accident" happens which gives it away or they happen after and are necessary because the character got too little developement prior. I guess they can make sense when well developed characters get one to change our perception of them completely.

somebody said Homura and yes thats a great example done right.

The episodes themself are usually well done though and I guess my problem is when anime are worse then their backstory episodes because then they stand out and dont save the current plot anyway.
Comander-07Nov 19, 2019 9:44 AM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 19, 2019 11:50 AM

May 2019
Kiritsugus backstory in EP18 and EP19 of Fate/Zero and Homuras backstory in EP 10 of Madoka Magica are the first ones that come to mind when thinking about good flashback episodes.
Nov 19, 2019 12:00 PM
Jul 2018
Gintama(2015) backstory gintoki kill shoyo my foverite backstory
Nov 19, 2019 12:09 PM

Sep 2018
Hiei’s backstory from Yu Yu Hakusho is hands down a favorite.
Nov 19, 2019 12:11 PM
Feb 2019
I really like it if they put it there after they fleshed out a character already and we have the urge to know even more about that character. Sometimes as others said, if the timing is not right, I don't like it as much, but as long as it keeps me entertaining though, showing something we didn't know yet, I don't mind it.
Nov 19, 2019 12:28 PM
Jul 2018
Bungou Stray Dogs season 3 episode 6, Herurisu / Portrait of a Father. I have never been hit by the pain train so fast and out of nowhere. If it's done right backstory is a very useful tool in story telling. I know this one doesn't fully count as a backstory episode but idc.

Nov 19, 2019 12:45 PM

May 2017
I usually love backstory episodes (and chapters) simply because they flesh out particular characters and explain their motivations. Not only in anime and manga, but in other media like movies, series, games and books aswell. Most of the time they also tend to be among my favourite episodes and chapters when looking back after finishing the whole thing.

The only ones I dont like are terribly timed backstory episodes (mostly during confrontations with the villian) which take the watcher out of the mood and these "flashback as deathflag" kinds of backstories, were they just show the backstory of a character, villians and side characters alike, to create empathy when they are about to get killed off, when you couldnt care less about them because they barely appeared. Its even worse when the author tries to redeem a villian who commited several terrible acts and killed a companion of the protagonist.

Nov 19, 2019 5:46 PM

Nov 2008
Takuto's backstory in Full Moon is still my favorite one. It's crucial to the plot, could not have been revealed at a better time, and it's absolutely heart-breaking and shocking. It's also what literally saves the life of the main character.

Nov 19, 2019 5:48 PM

Oct 2019
FRUITS BASKET

holy hell there were some good ones
Dec 21, 2019 5:00 PM

Apr 2017
Broadly speaking, I would say I am a fan of backstory episodes since I am typically more invested in character-driven stories and love to see more character development. I am also shamelessly a total sucker for protagonists with a mysterious and/or dark past apparently, if my favorite characters are anything to judge by. That said, there are some instances where flashbacks don't work as well as other times. If they pop up right in the middle of a high-action event they can be jarring, and for me they have the most emotional impact if it's for characters that have already been established/developed enough for me to feel some level of investment. I don't typically like it as much when they throw a long backstory at us for a character we just met/haven't met before (though it can sometimes be done well, I loved Miranda's introduction arc in D.Gray-Man, though that had the flashbacks intertwined more with the present).

I feel like one of the most obvious examples of a frankly excessive flashback sequence that I actually loved due to how much it was built up to and how much I already liked the character involved was Fai's backstory arc in Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (which tragically never got animated. but it was wild in the manga). It occurred over halfway through the series just about, but it made a lot of sense and gave extra meaning to everything we had learned about him before, and since I already adored the character and had seen him develop a lot I was more than ready to spend an arc dealing with his tragic backstory.

Nabari no Ou is a series that actually has quite a bit of flashbacks, but for me it worked because the plots in the flashbacks were so interesting on their own, and involved characters I had interest in (Raimei and Raiko's backstory was intense and necessary to appreciate the drama of their current conflict, and while only the manga goes into it in full it was so satisfying and interesting and of course incredibly sad when we finally got Yoite's backstory.).

Second mention, but D.Gray-Man also did really well with the backstories of the main protagonists. With a series like that where everyone is in a pretty extreme situation from the beginning (isolated exorcists/soldiers in this case) you have to wonder why/how they'd join in the first place, and I thought the series did a great job choosing when and how to show exactly what lead to each of our main characters to be where they are now (Kanda's was of course riveting, Lavi is my fave so I'm always eager to learn more about him, and we're learning more and more about Allen even in the newest chapters despite him being the main character who has received a lot of previous development, but I want to give a special shout out to Lenalee since she doesn't often get as much love, even though I thought her backstory brought up a lot of interesting issues and gave her a lot of depth).

While there are many, many more examples of flashbacks I liked (and if I poked around my memory more I could probably list some examples of ones I thought were weaker/less effective) I think I will end off with an honorary mention of one of the series I'm following currently, Vanitas no Carte (The Case Study of Vanitas). This is a series where the present is heavily effected by the past and the characters are at the center of it all, so there are a lot of flashbacks interspersed throughout. But what I like about these ones is that they never reveal too much, they tell you what you need to know to understand the plot and characters where they are at the moment, leaving you with a million questions and a sense of suspense/mystery without interrupting the flow of the main plot. The only more so so flashback was I think the placement of Chloe's backstory, not because it was a poor story but because she was a new character we'd only just met, so using several chapters to explain her backstory felt like a bit much even if it was necessary info, I think it would have been better if it was more spread out like the other flashbacks in the series tend to be.

So all in all, yes I definitely like flashbacks for characters I love or find interesting in some way, especially if it is incorporated into the plot in an interesting or timely way. They don't always work for me, like any writing convention it can be done to one's tastes and then not, but generally I am a fan of growing character arcs.
Dec 21, 2019 10:09 PM

Jul 2017
it depends on the execution and the reason why they exist

my favorite one is netero's episode from hxh

followed by hyakkimaru's from dororo

Dec 21, 2019 11:04 PM
Jul 2018
I don't care much for it, honestly. It mainly serves to establish a character by explaining why they are the way they are. I don't really think of it as adding entertainment to a character since the backstory is a separate thing from how they actually act on screen most of the time since as I just stated they are explanations. They aren't actual character moments where you see X character interact with others or showcase traits(though admittedly both can happen within a backstory). None of this is bad per se, backstories just aren't my taste in characterization and I believe the effort would be better spent somewhere else. I rarely care about why a character is a way they are as my interest entirely lies in how they are acting now. I used to be more of a sucker for them which is how Angel Beats got to be an all-time favorite since my past self loved it. However, over time I realized just how little of a role that played in my enjoyment of a character. Mainly because my enjoyment is stuck exclusively at that moment and plays little role in my enjoyment of other scenes. In fact, with cases like Ciel, I considerably enjoyed the characters less during those moments since his flaws weren't really shown while the backstory served its purpose as a sob story to make him appear more sympathetic.
removed-userDec 21, 2019 11:18 PM
Dec 22, 2019 8:44 AM
Jul 2018
Backstories are good when they aren’t used as a last ditch effort at manipulating the audience into crying, lol. I still remember that fucking awful character in fate UBW that was literally forgotten about for, like, the whole show then brought back for an episode, given a quick 5 minute emotional backstory then killed.
Dec 23, 2019 8:47 PM

Mar 2016
If I had to pick a favorite backstory or two, it’d be either that of Edward Elric or Sakuta Gintoki.
May 10, 2020 12:37 AM

May 2020
Ultracape12 said:
EnigmaOlivia said:

Yu Yu Hakusho is overrated, along with Beserk and Legend Of The Galactic Heroes. Real Good Anime are made after the 2000s (especially the 2010s), while anime made in the 80s and 90s had pathetic animation, terrible character designs, cliché and overused stories, and a FUCKING LOT OF CRINGE πŸ˜«πŸ’©πŸ˜«πŸ’©πŸ˜«πŸ’©

Seriously, you like a shit anime like Yu Yu Hakusho??

Grow up, get a day-job, get a FUCKING-life, and if you still wanna watch anime, watch JoJo, Attack On Titan, Demon Slayer, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Code Geass, FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood, My Hero Academia, Vinland Saga and Fairy Tail to name a few. These experiment a lot of new tropes, and do the old ones more justice than the shitty old ass Yu Yu Hakusho, Beserk and LOGH. And most importantly, *enjoy anime as a form of entertainment, not as a FUCKING critical asshole*, coz if you try to judge 'em, yoy will always hate 'em. MHA, especially, is a stress relieving anime, it makes you feel optimistic and energetic, and hence, it is the best anime ever created. Period.

Reread what you just wrote, do you not see the hypocrisy.
"And most importantly, enjoy anime as a form of entertainment, not as a fucking critical asshole."-Ultracape12.
Proceeds to insult anime like yu yu hakusho, Berserk and Logh, even though he probably hasn't seen it. If anything newer animes have more cliche and overused stories.

RATE MY ELITE ANIME TASTE
May 10, 2020 12:47 AM

Jun 2011
I love backstory in shonen, One Piece, Naruto, Gintama, FMAB where they're more drawn out, in depth and far more relevant to the world building and character building.

I hate backstory in harem, where it's a 12 episodes series featuring 4 different girls for the harem, with every 3 episodes dedicated to a girl's backstory with barely any depth relating to it. Overdone formula for those action/magic harem series.

My favorite has to be One Piece. Don't think I've disliked any of the flashbacks yet, the flashbacks always add something of value to the world. Gintama's pretty great too, there's still a sense of mystery for what happened back then that caused the team to break up and go their separate way. It also formed Gintoki's philosophy and is why he's one of the best character in anime.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 10, 2020 1:00 AM

Jul 2019
Ultracape12 said:
EnigmaOlivia said:

Yu Yu Hakusho is overrated, along with Beserk and Legend Of The Galactic Heroes. Real Good Anime are made after the 2000s (especially the 2010s), while anime made in the 80s and 90s had pathetic animation, terrible character designs, cliché and overused stories, and a FUCKING LOT OF CRINGE πŸ˜«πŸ’©πŸ˜«πŸ’©πŸ˜«πŸ’©

Seriously, you like a shit anime like Yu Yu Hakusho??

Grow up, get a day-job, get a FUCKING-life, and if you still wanna watch anime, watch JoJo, Attack On Titan, Demon Slayer, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Code Geass, FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood, My Hero Academia, Vinland Saga and Fairy Tail to name a few. These experiment a lot of new tropes, and do the old ones more justice than the shitty old ass Yu Yu Hakusho, Beserk and LOGH. And most importantly, *enjoy anime as a form of entertainment, not as a FUCKING critical asshole*, coz if you try to judge 'em, yoy will always hate 'em. MHA, especially, is a stress relieving anime, it makes you feel optimistic and energetic, and hence, it is the best anime ever created. Period.

Here is another post from someone that has an opinion about the series they haven't seen/read. Don't you think that your opinion is irrelevant at that point?
'Overused story' says a person who actually has BNHA in their favorites. The only shounen ever that managed to bring ABSOLUTELY NOTHING new or unique.

I genuinely feel sorry for people who think that character design and animation makes an anime good.
May 10, 2020 1:20 AM

Jul 2019
Ultracape12 said:
NamikazeHime said:

Here is another post from someone that has an opinion about the series they haven't seen/read. Don't you think that your opinion is irrelevant at that point?
'Overused story' says a person who actually has BNHA in their favorites. The only shounen ever that managed to bring ABSOLUTELY NOTHING new or unique.

Man, nothing new != (is not equal to) everything bad.
BNHA is all about implementation of old tropes in fantastically new and different ways. It mixes the tropes of traditional inspirational shōnen anime with American themes like superheroes and mutants. It is meant to fill the voids left by Naruto and Bleach after their anime adaptation ended (Bleach is coming back next year tho, but we all thought the thousand year blood war arc will never receive an official anime adaptation.) My whole point was to tell her and every elitist critcal asshole that anime is meant to be watched for entertainment and stress-relief from day-to-day rat race. If an anime does that, along with giving you inspiration and motivation to live, especially in a world where suicides have become extremely commonplace, what the hell is wrong with that??
Ultracape12 said:
NamikazeHime said:

Man, nothing new != (is not equal to) everything bad.
BNHA is all about implementation of old tropes in fantastically new and different ways. It mixes the tropes of traditional inspirational shōnen anime with American themes like superheroes and mutants. It is meant to fill the voids left by Naruto and Bleach after their anime adaptation ended (Bleach is coming back next year tho, but we all thought the thousand year blood war arc will never receive an official anime adaptation.) My whole point was to tell her and every elitist critcal asshole that anime is meant to be watched for entertainment and stress-relief from day-to-day rat race. If an anime does that, along with giving you inspiration and motivation to live, especially in a world where suicides have become extremely commonplace, what the hell is wrong with that??

The amount of hypocrisy in your posts is pretty funny.

You still think that shitposting another series you are not even familiar with will make BNHA any better? Nope, it will not. Plot is predictable, characters are bland. Also try watching the series you are using as a reference. Soul Society arc and Chunin Exams stomped the entirety of BNHA franchise.

Nevermind, I will not bother with this conversation again. I don't really like spending my time debating with people who's arguments are not really arguments but a presumptions. This conversation doesn't have a value at all. Bye bye.
May 10, 2020 1:25 AM

Sep 2018
Not when they're pushed at me almost immediately, like Angel Beats! does. Am I supposed to feel something for this character that I've barely met? "Hi, my name is Yuri and here is my massive sob story"... lol, piss off.

They're great when it's done properly and the pacing is good.
May 10, 2020 1:52 AM
Jul 2018
They are necessary at all. But they're interesting. That Bardock DBZ special was my first backstory episode in anime, and I just loved it.

I'm not one to remember things in anime like exact episodes.
May 10, 2020 4:50 AM

Oct 2008
I love the backstory it the anime my top criteria in fact. Sometimes its better than the plot itself.

Favorites:
1.Zetsuen no Tempest (when mc's were kids)
2.Shingeki no Kyoujin (franchise)
3.Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinju (season 1)
4.Zettai Karen children The unlimited Hyoubu Kyousuke
5.Grisaia (franchise)
6.Fate Zero (Natalia Kaminski)
7.Tatakau Shisho the book of Bantorra (Ruruta Coozancuuna)
8.3-Gatsu no Lion (mc when he was a kid)
9. Chrono Crusade (mc and villain)
10.Nurarihyon no Mago (season 2)

Sometimes the characters in the backstory are better than the main characters in the developing plot.
May 10, 2020 8:04 AM

Apr 2011
Memorable backstories for me:

Gyro's past in Hunter x Hunter 2011.

Most antagonists in the Asgard Arc of Saint Seiya.

The Aoki and Kimura's Delinquent Youth Days Arc in Hajime no Ippo.
IKKIsamaMay 10, 2020 8:11 AM
May 10, 2020 8:37 AM
Jul 2018
favourite backstories-
Netero in hunter x hunter 2011
Gyro in hunter x hunter 2011
Deku in mha
Senku in dr. stone
Edward and Alphonse in fmab regarding Izumi and their mother

backstories wanted in more depth-
Kurapika from hunter x hunter 2011
Inosuke from demon slayer
L from Death note [don't know if it is explained later I have watched only 24 episodes ]
Shuka from Darwin's game
May 26, 2020 10:36 AM

May 2018
I like Askeladd's backstory from Vinland Saga, as it also serves as a lesson for Thorfinn.

Levi's backstory from Attack On Titan is amazing as well.

The backstory of Hiro and Zero Two knowing each other in childhood was so bittersweet and adorable

This isnt an anime, Sangwoo from the manwha Killing Stalking has a amzing story behind him. His family, childhood, relationship with his mother and the plot-twist with it, how it then led to him becoming a serial killer and the disgusting truth behind why he "likes" Yoonbum... it why he and Killing Stalking is in my favourites.
May 26, 2020 10:38 AM
Jul 2018
TheEpicGaijin69 said:
EnigmaOlivia said:

Just read you reviews. The hypocrisy in your reviews is cheesy at best and carcinogenic (causing brain cancer) at worst. On one side, you seem to over-praise legendary classics like YYH, Beserk and LOGH, while on the other, you compare them to modern anime like MHA, AOT, Yaiba, One Piece and Fruits Basket. We all know that they can never be compared, but you just cannot hold your shit, can you? On top of that, you watched AOT S3 P2 directly after AOT S1, and said bullcrap in your reviews. Also, you watched Clannad:After Story directly (just bcoz it was highly rated) without watching the prequel Clannad, and gave it a shit rating as well. And, you gave Mob Psycho 100 S2 a 2 on 10 without even watching a single episode !!!! Now, in your reviews, you claim that MHA offends you on a personal level, but your tomfoolery seems more brainfucking. And if it is so bad, why keep watching it and destroy it for others, why not keep your godfucking egotism to yourself, huh???

By the way, your MHA reviews contains a lot of mistakes. You say that All Might gave Deku is quirk directly and easily, but don't you remember that for that to happen, first All Might saw a hero in quirkless Deku when he ran to save Kacchan from the sludge villain with his bare hands, huh?? And before that, don't you remember that when Deku was unconscious, in the first episode, All Might read his hero studies book where Deku wrote all the Martial Arts and combat techniques as he learnt them ??? Also, in the third episode, how All Might made Deku train intensively for 10 months, do you remember that?? Also, as you say that the UA students aren't taught any basic martial arts, well, they are supposed to know those, coz without knowing any skills, even a person without the strongest quirk cannot clear the UA entrance exam (episode 4). Also, how racist of you to argue that Ochako, despite being poor, still maintains her body hygiene, how racist of you, vey bad!!!

Now, apart from that, the events in the Shie Hassaikai arc were supposed to be top secret, hence there was no activiy about that on the social media. Also, many seem to forget the word "Academia" in the title of My Hero Academia, so, the cultural festival arc was a part of the anime, as along with being a battle shonen, it is also a highschool anime, as the focus is on the students of a pro-hero highschool. Now, the pro-hero arc of Endeavor vs High-End was lit, but you seem to have made a promise to hate and shit on MHA.

Your reviews seem that either someone told you the summary of MHA, or you watched the summary on YouTube, and made your opinion on that basis. So better give yourself a deep thought of what the hell are you doing with your life. Coz you seem to have wasted a fucking hell lot of time just shitting on modern anime. Get a life, get a day-job, and quit anime for good. For the sake of humanity, stop being an elitist asshole, please. Stop gatekeeping. You are wasting a FUCKING hell lot of time by doing so. Please stop this fuckery. Please.

I just read her reviews and saw her ratings
I am scared for her mental health and also wrote a message to her
who would watch aot season 3 part 2 right after season1
people like this should quit anime
people like this is the reason anime community is looked down for
have never seen more dumb person than her evr before
May 27, 2020 6:31 AM

Jan 2010
I love them.

One piece has a ton of great back stories. Law's, Robin's and Brook's is my favorite.

And in Kuroko no Basket, the flashback to generation of miracles middle school days also pretty bittersweet. Definitely among my favorite.
May 27, 2020 6:50 AM

Feb 2019
the zero two and the guy (forgot his name lol) backstory pretty much completely changed my view of the show, which had been up to that point fairly poor.
been so long since i watched that show but i still remember that part very vividly. was possibly impactful to me because i had only watched a complete of shows at that time
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

42 by Maou_heika »»
8 seconds ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 8 hours ago

35 by Nemo_Niemand »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

31 by Maou_heika »»
4 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - 1 hour ago

11 by weebtoge »»
12 minutes ago

» Ruined after Serial Experiments Lain [Spoilers]

zaitec - May 6, 2017

15 by TheMechaManiac »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.