Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 12, 2019 8:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Chihaya vs Taichi, the match I've been waiting to see and something very worthy of being in the final of this tournament.

Many of the moves in this episode had its spotlights from both characters. Arata also sees the skills of both competitors and I like how they made the episode as impactful as possible. Plenty of emotions coming from Chihaya this episode in her mind too.
Nov 12, 2019 9:04 AM

Nov 2007
At first Hosoya-san's character said he needs to go, but he said he will stay.

Kimono mother trying to get Mamo's character to relax by not have "nekoze"

Everyone said they are staying.

Mamo's character is using what main girl not used to. He serious wants to win against her.

Each of them has their own way to be concentrated.

Posture makes her re-look at her opponent?

They are the strongest by overcoming pressure of the order not used to and trusting each other. Continues next ep.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 12, 2019 12:56 PM

Oct 2017
That was a pretty amazing episode. Got me all excited like I'm watching a season finale only 6 episodes in - we're finally getting a full karuta match the show's been building up to for so long aaagggghhhh. Only complaint is I wish we had a little less background noise (inner monologues) during the match itself; I don't really care how Sumire feels about it. Loved the (new?) OST that played while Chihaya was struggling against Taichi's strategy. Tense as hell.

Arata is jealous :) :) :)
Nov 12, 2019 1:23 PM

Feb 2011
Wow ! That was intense. I love how beautifully the tension of the match and the emotions of the characters are being conveyed through visual direction.

Nov 12, 2019 1:30 PM
Aug 2016
This season is already on fire and it started airing like 3 weeks ago. It's absolutely amazing, i can't wait to see more in this 5 months.
Nov 12, 2019 1:43 PM

Oct 2012
Delicious! I love this match so much. The only days we TaiChihaya shippers had peace in our hearts was when 103/104 were released, and now today, watching those chapters being adapted lmao. BEAUTIFUL. They made it even more shoujo-ppoi than I would've thought they would. I love it, love it, love, love, love, love it. The direction was on point, and the staff really paid attention to the emotions everyone was feeling while watching the match... Hanano's pure heart, which I love so much - she loves Taichi so much she can't help but feel happy for him when Chihaya is "looking" at him for the first time. Jealous Arata (as we say in Brazil, "obrigada pelos refrescos"), emotional Kana-chan remembering her match against Komano... Chihaya remembering Sakurazawa-sensei advices... TAICHI WORRYING ABOUT CHIHAYA'S HAND. UHGHHHH MIYANO YOU NAILED IT. Seriously, Miyano nailed in every way this episode, his dubbing was PERFECT. I know he's always great, but ffffff. Even when Ooe's mom was fixing his kimono, the sounds of pain and discomfort were 10/10. Anyway, this episode saved my life. Thank you, Madhouse.
MaahHeimNov 12, 2019 1:48 PM
Nov 12, 2019 1:50 PM

Sep 2011
Didn't they'd make the match that intense. The music was something else.
Nov 12, 2019 2:28 PM

May 2014
Every episode grants some excitement and hype and it makes me want to binge it! I usually wait until the series ends before watching it, but this one was so good that I couldn't wait.

Its so hard to root for one over the other because both of them are awesome characters. I want Chihaya to win, but wouldn't mind it if Taichi won either.
Nov 12, 2019 2:46 PM

Nov 2007
Taichi be as unpredictable as ever! His first defensive setup and it took Chihaya to the last cards. He sure knows how to rile up his opponents no matter who they are! And it was so bittersweet as both Sumire-chan and Kana-chan realized how much it could have meant for Taichi to make Chihaya look his way. :')

Also, it's so brutal how Nikuman and Tsukue-kun unconsciously start rooting for Taichi during the match. Kono uragirimono! But I love them for that! I love it how Suetsugu-sensei formed such a powerful brotherhood amongst these trio! More of it will come in the coming episodes so keep an eye on that!

Also, was Arata unconsciously taking things for granted? Did he allow Chihaya and Taichi to catch up with him? This match between Chihaya and Taichi would go a long way to change the Arata who has been hundreds of miles away from these two! He needed to stay back and watch these two give their all! Comeback stronger, my boy! The Arata development that we have been deprived of for so long has started to roll on this season! <3

Also, I feel bad for Sumire-chan. Her character development has been amazing in the story and she kept evolving as a character much more than I thought she ever would. Let's give her some love! Sumire-chan <3

Also, Rion <3
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 12, 2019 3:02 PM

Oct 2012
What a wonderful episode. I couldn't have asked for more. Suetsugu San must be so so satisfied with how this turned out. So intense, great animation and music. The seiyuu's did the very best and the result takes your breath away! Off for a rewatch, this episode is full of card symbols, so a must to catch up on them!
Nov 12, 2019 3:07 PM

Nov 2016
One word to describe this episode: beautiful.

Ok, this series as a whole is is of incomparable beauty, but this episode even more so. The intense karuta exchanges, the thoughts of the players, spectators and lastly of Arata. Everything wrapped up magnificently.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 12, 2019 3:35 PM
Apr 2016
What a beautiful match! For a moment Chihaya even forgot that she's playing against Taichi, he sure came a long way. Arata seems to be overflowing with regret, that's unfortunate.
Nov 12, 2019 3:36 PM

Nov 2007
twoego said:
What a beautiful match! For a moment Chihaya even forgot that she's playing against Taichi, he sure came a long way. Arata seems to be overflowing with regret, that's unfortunate.

He needed that! He needed to feel this regret!

FMmatron said:

Ok, this series as a whole is is of incomparable beauty, but this episode even more so. The intense karuta exchanges, the thoughts of the players, spectators and lastly of Arata. Everything wrapped up magnificently.

You say it like this was the last episode. O_o.

We haven't even started with the season yet with the Queen and Meijin qualifiers coming up next. Don't underestimate what's on the cards!
Coronavirus.
Nov 12, 2019 3:37 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
What an episode man. Based Madhouse. My boy Kiriyama Rei is finally realizing Taichi and Chihaya catching up to him.

5/5
cchiguNov 12, 2019 3:40 PM
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Nov 12, 2019 4:15 PM

Nov 2016
shanimebib said:
twoego said:

He needed that! He needed to feel this regret!

FMmatron said:

You say it like this was the last episode. O_o.

We haven't even started with the season yet with the Queen and Meijin qualifiers coming up next. Don't underestimate what's on the cards!

Wrapped up in the sense of a nice looking package hehe.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 12, 2019 4:29 PM
Mar 2015
So many great things here Taichi forcing Chihaya to play his karutta Her wanting to win for her mom Him wanting to beat her At least he makes her notice him ,but she reassures herself that he is still Taichi who is not a stranger but means so much to her Arata who feels regret and anger that he is not playing Chihaya They are taking each other to heights neither has ever reached before
Nov 12, 2019 4:48 PM

Oct 2017
LOVE THIS EP.
I'am so hyped.
Finally, Chihaya see Taichi, he's really so fucking devote with his love to her,
but not even that, he's trully trying to prove himself against her.
And seeing Arata who regrets and a bit jelaous was OMG, unpayble thing.
Madhouse 10/10 this time.
-¡Give yourself to me!
Nov 12, 2019 4:53 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
THE HYPE, MAN!!!

This is looking to be the best season yet and we're only a quarter in, OST has drastically improved and i don't remember the show being this well directed.

Gorgeous.
Nov 12, 2019 5:56 PM

Apr 2010
This series was always fire, but this season so far is so much better, this is so intense I can barely breath.
Nov 12, 2019 6:21 PM

Apr 2018
I love this series like crazy! But for some reason I've denied it a perfect score in my personal ranking. But if every episode was this good, this would totally be among the very best I've ever seen.

In this ep. you could cut the air with a knife and they hype for what's to come after this tournament is killing me!!!
Nov 12, 2019 6:22 PM
Oct 2014
Very good episode.
Nov 12, 2019 6:29 PM

May 2015
That episode was phenomenal
Nov 12, 2019 6:54 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Spent the last couple of days catching up to this series and damn, what an episode to catch up on!
Nov 12, 2019 6:54 PM

Nov 2018
Since this episode is more intense and the sequence is excellent in term of graphics. The polls still on 90-95% even higher than perfect score during the polls result per episode..
If the polls result will maintained to 90-99% per episode, then there might chance that ranking will be top 1 to 3 in overall ranking even AOT season 3 2nd cour will step down rank because of the popularity of this anime..
Nov 12, 2019 7:39 PM

Feb 2018
MaahHeim said:
Delicious! I love this match so much. The only days we TaiChihaya shippers had peace in our hearts was when 103/104 were released, and now today, watching those chapters being adapted lmao. BEAUTIFUL. They made it even more shoujo-ppoi than I would've thought they would. I love it, love it, love, love, love, love it. The direction was on point, and the staff really paid attention to the emotions everyone was feeling while watching the match... Hanano's pure heart, which I love so much - she loves Taichi so much she can't help but feel happy for him when Chihaya is "looking" at him for the first time. Jealous Arata (as we say in Brazil, "obrigada pelos refrescos"), emotional Kana-chan remembering her match against Komano... Chihaya remembering Sakurazawa-sensei advices... TAICHI WORRYING ABOUT CHIHAYA'S HAND. UHGHHHH MIYANO YOU NAILED IT. Seriously, Miyano nailed in every way this episode, his dubbing was PERFECT. I know he's always great, but ffffff. Even when Ooe's mom was fixing his kimono, the sounds of pain and discomfort were 10/10. Anyway, this episode saved my life. Thank you, Madhouse.

ah... a gente fala isso aqui? tu é de onde? acho q nunca ouvi essa expressão....

anyway, this series makes it very clear that there is no right way to play Karuta and that you cannot master all of them, but this match is making this shine the most, actually, Taichi in this competition is shining (the most) because of this, when you put your play style away to search for something more comfortable and then you "throw it away " again because you know how the flow of the game is going to be? damn... even without talking about the emotional background and all the build up for this moment it is pretty amazing.
Nov 12, 2019 7:51 PM

Sep 2017
Another tense episode. I'm very much rooting for Chihaya because Taichi can be a bit angsty and I definitely think he needs a good beating from Chihaya after going so tryhard to win. I think this was supposed to be kind of a cliffhanger ending but in the last frame it looked like Chihaya had no cards left...
Nov 12, 2019 8:15 PM

Nov 2007
ProofByColor said:
I think this was supposed to be kind of a cliffhanger ending but in the last frame it looked like Chihaya had no cards left...

But were you able to tell who took the last card from Chihaya's side? You know if Taichi took that card, it would mean Taichi won because he will be sending his final card to Chihaya's side.
Coronavirus.
Nov 12, 2019 8:29 PM

Sep 2017
shanimebib said:
ProofByColor said:
I think this was supposed to be kind of a cliffhanger ending but in the last frame it looked like Chihaya had no cards left...

But were you able to tell who took the last card from Chihaya's side? You know if Taichi took that card, it would mean Taichi won because he will be sending his final card to Chihaya's side.

That's true. It does look like Taichi also has one card left.
Nov 12, 2019 10:29 PM

Dec 2014
FMmatron said:

You said it. This was just beautiful.
Nov 13, 2019 12:39 AM

Feb 2017
Chihaya S3 continues to one up itself.
Nov 13, 2019 1:05 AM
Aug 2018
Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful!!!
The art style the OST everything is so Beautiful 😇
Nov 13, 2019 3:49 AM

Nov 2013
OMG OMG episode this week was beautiful and intense
Althought I want chihaya to win I also want taichi to win...
Both of them bring out the best in each other.
This fight is truly special in its own rights.
That was an insanely intense episode I even stopped eating while in awe, so much emotions and thought from different people, packed beautifully without cutting any corners. I cant wait next week!!
Nov 13, 2019 6:05 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Wow, this is just Beautiful! Man, this season is seriously bloody awesome and it just keeps upping itself every darn episode!

Hats off to Taichi this episode! Coming up with those sophisticated plans and using them to perfection despite playing an extra match takes some heart and grit. Meanwhile, Arata seems to be feeling it slowly now.

Some of those screenplays and buildups this episode were absolutely fantastic too. Breathtaking stuff!

I honestly love this series too much now! Can't wait to see where this is going! Pretty sure Chihaya will win a close game next episode though.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 13, 2019 7:18 AM

May 2018
Brilliant episode. I can feel the tension of the match. I'm predicting Taichi will win.
Nov 13, 2019 8:42 AM

Feb 2019
That was a beautiful episode

Sumire's tears and kana comparing chihaya and taichi's match to tsukue and her match implied a lot of things.

Arata is slowly realizing how he wants to be the one with chihaya.
Nov 13, 2019 9:09 AM

Mar 2018
Ooo such a good game
Incredible to watch

And looks like Arata is... jealous in some way. It's kinda deep on both sides

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Nov 13, 2019 10:49 AM

May 2019
Chihaya probably won! (it can also be Taichi but since the card was on Chihaya's side so the possibility of her winning is more)

Damn, but I just kiiiinda wanted Taichi to win because I wanted him to continue his winning streak he's had since the school team tournament. (we'll learn for certain in the next episode)

On a side note, the visuals are super pretty as always. And I don't know why but Sumire looked exceptionally pretty this episode. That hairstyle suits her.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Nov 13, 2019 11:19 AM
May 2019
Amazing episode! Taichi is giving his absolute all against Chihaya, setting up his cards differently. If he loses even after all of that, I think that might drain his confidence in his abilities. However, Chihaya's improving incredibly quickly, too, so he shouldn't feel that bad if it does happen? haha

Poor Arata, realizing that Taichi's closer to Chihaya than he is when it comes to karuta now (in terms of passion, not skill). Can't wait for the next episode to see who wins the final! And I'm still needing some Arata karuta action.
Nov 13, 2019 12:44 PM

Oct 2012
Primo_Itoko said:
MaahHeim said:

ah... a gente fala isso aqui? tu é de onde? acho q nunca ouvi essa expressão....

anyway, this series makes it very clear that there is no right way to play Karuta and that you cannot master all of them, but this match is making this shine the most, actually, Taichi in this competition is shining (the most) because of this, when you put your play style away to search for something more comfortable and then you "throw it away " again because you know how the flow of the game is going to be? damn... even without talking about the emotional background and all the build up for this moment it is pretty amazing.

"Finalmente os refrescos", na verdade ksokf
Nov 13, 2019 3:13 PM

Nov 2007
t_tomodachi22 said:
Poor Arata, realizing that Taichi's closer to Chihaya than he is when it comes to karuta now (in terms of passion, not skill). Can't wait for the next episode to see who wins the final! And I'm still needing some Arata karuta action.

He is not to be blamed though. It cannot be helped when he lives so far. He still managed to get his parents agree on that they will allow him to move to Tokyo once he completes high school. That's just a year and a few months from now!

Unlike Chihaya, both Taichi and Arata are excellent in academics so I won't be surprised if both boys end up as Todai. The one I am worried about is Chihaya tbh. She is actually the worst in academics of all the characters in Chihayafuru. There is actually another from the same pod but let's not spoil it, shall we?!
Coronavirus.
Nov 13, 2019 3:30 PM
Jun 2019
What an amazing episode! This show really excels at building tension, emotion, and excitement during the matches.

Chihaya takes Taichi for granted... Is she finally noticing Taichi? I sure hope that idiot is. I hope Taichi wins this match! Can't wait for the next episode!
Nov 13, 2019 4:34 PM

Sep 2018
I have nothing of legitimate quality to add to this discussion. All I can say after watching this episode, and as I have said about this series so many times before:

CHIHAYAFURU IS SO DAMN AMAZING!

......also Chihaya and Taichi all the way.
Blanks.
Nov 13, 2019 6:35 PM

Nov 2007
Laneybee said:
Chihaya takes Taichi for granted... Is she finally noticing Taichi? I sure hope that idiot is. I hope Taichi wins this match! Can't wait for the next episode!

Yes. She does. But Taichi also has been giving his entirety to Chihaya just so that he would look her way. Neither is healthy if you asked me. Sometimes you need to be like Shuuichi, haha!

BallisticRiot said:

Then what about Arata...?
Coronavirus.
Nov 13, 2019 6:58 PM

Oct 2019
shanimebib said:
Laneybee said:

Yes. She does. But Taichi also has been giving his entirety to Chihaya just so that he would look her way. Neither is healthy if you asked me. Sometimes you need to be like Shuuichi, haha!

BallisticRiot said:

Lol I thought you knew that we are like the only Chihaya/Arata shippers in here.. or at least one of the very very few
Nov 13, 2019 7:07 PM

Sep 2018
shanimebib said:
Laneybee said:

BallisticRiot said:

I really do love Arata as a character, as I love pretty much every character in the show, but I've always preferred the idea of Chihaya x Taichi. Taichi has liked her for a very long time, and despite how his mother acts, he's worked extremely hard to stay close her.

Meanwhile it feels like Chihaya's love for Arata is more so admiration and "blind-love",
that is, if she actually "loves" him. Obviously Arata inspired her love for Karuta and she's always looked up to him, and he's been nothing but good to her and Taichi.

I dunno, honestly just a stupid shipping war in my own head :/

This is one of the few series where I liked the anime so much that I've refused to read the Manga so it doesn't get spoiled for me, so I am excited to see where everything goes!
Blanks.
Nov 13, 2019 8:49 PM

Nov 2007
BallisticRiot said:
This is one of the few series where I liked the anime so much that I've refused to read the Manga so it doesn't get spoiled for me, so I am excited to see where everything goes!

Then let me spoil it for you! The qualifiers coming up next! o(≧∇≦o)

Fionavar said:
Lol I thought you knew that we are like the only Chihaya/Arata shippers in here.. or at least one of the very very few

Nah. Statistically every 1 out of 3 are Arata x Chihaya fans. They just don't appear in the discussions much because they are just happy with their ship. (。•́︿•̀。)

Majority of Taichi x Chihaya fans are of two types. They are either hardcore Taichi x Chihaya fans who refuse to believe that Chihaya is in love with Arata or a bit less who would say Chihaya should remain single (but deep down they want it to be Taichi!). I am yet to see an Arata fan say they would want Chihaya to remain single though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ships aside, if I was in the manga, the one I would been head over heels for would be Rion <3. It seems like Suetsugu-sensei made a point with MADHOUSE that if they are to animate her manga, they must pay extra attention to the beauty of Rion <3. Ah~ I want to become Rion <3's onigiri! (。♥‿♥。)
Coronavirus.
Nov 13, 2019 10:32 PM

Oct 2019
shanimebib said:
BallisticRiot said:

Fionavar said:

Nah. Statistically every 1 out of 3 are Arata x Chihaya fans. They just don't appear in the discussions much because they are just happy with their ship. (。•́︿•̀。)

Majority of Taichi x Chihaya fans are of two types. They are either hardcore Taichi x Chihaya fans who refuse to believe that Chihaya is in love with Arata or a bit less who would say Chihaya should remain single (but deep down they want it to be Taichi!). I am yet to see an Arata fan say they would want Chihaya to remain single though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ships aside, if I was in the manga, the one I would been head over heels for would be Rion <3. It seems like Suetsugu-sensei made a point with MADHOUSE that if they are to animate her manga, they must pay extra attention to the beauty of Rion <3. Ah~ I want to become Rion <3's onigiri! (。♥‿♥。)

Haha yeah Rions pretty damn amazing.. honestly I love all the characters in this anime/manga so much.. And yeah the hardcore Taichi x Chihaya shippers.. I swear the Chihayafuru subreddit is so terrible in that regard.. the moment you say something against that ship its like you poked a beehive.. Tbh I think half the reason I even hate this ship in the first place is just because of the shippers haha..
Tho I do kinda have another reason to dislike it.. okay um how does those spoiler tags work err.. lets see..
Nov 13, 2019 10:50 PM

Nov 2007
Fionavar said:
shanimebib said:

Haha yeah Rions pretty damn amazing.. honestly I love all the characters in this anime/manga so much.. And yeah the hardcore Taichi x Chihaya shippers.. I swear the Chihayafuru subreddit is so terrible in that regard.. the moment you say something against that ship its like you poked a beehive.. Tbh I think half the reason I even hate this ship in the first place is just because of the shippers haha..
Tho I do kinda have another reason to dislike it.. okay um how does those spoiler tags work err.. lets see..

ba-but

I know how it feels. The same reason I absolutely despise Fumino x Yuiga ship in Bokuben. But I love Taichi so can't really dislike the shippers.
Coronavirus.
Nov 13, 2019 11:13 PM

Jul 2009
WOW. OK, this match is getting everything it deserves. I love Taichi's use of strategy here against Chihaya, and the symbolism of Chihaya "seeing" him differently now is not lost on me, while also having to remind herself that he's Taichi. Arata having the feeling of watching the two of them - jealousy, I bet? Especially with that flash of him being the one reading while Taichi plays Chihaya instead when they were kids - funny how that's his "happiest" time playing karuta. I really love Taichi's growth and mindset here - he's really playing to win! Ah man, I'm a bit mad I don't remember how this match ends in the manga lol, but I think it would be amazing if Taichi could pull off a win here especially considering what he said to her on the train. After that, I hope we get a bit of rest before the qualifiers but I guess we'll see ... man, this makes me want to pick up the manga where I left off again lol XD
Nov 13, 2019 11:31 PM

Feb 2011
Great episode: I really love in how Arata's words encouraged Chihaya luck for her final match while he decided to stay for the finals: Arata, what a naughty boy skipping the first half of classes on the next day just to see Chihaya plays her match with Taichi, but guess what I LOVE IT, LOL!!!! xD ( Don't mind me I'm always getting crazy when it comes to Chihaya x Arata moments, lol)
As an Arata fan, I feel his jealousy seeing both Chihaya and Taichi catching up while seeing himself getting more distant- he always wants to place a match with Chihaya and yet fate has other plans: from his frustration he now visual himself as the reader instead of playing with Chihaya in that old room apartment: now he's experiencing something for the first time he never felt before (and we will witness more to come, I CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE!!!)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» If you want to continue with the manga after watching

NiQ1 - Feb 21, 2023

19 by NiQ1 »»
Mar 21, 2:01 AM

» Chihayafuru 4

Kaguyachinchin - Nov 21, 2020

5 by Knighthammer619 »»
Mar 17, 9:43 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2020

148 by tozeos »»
Jan 9, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - Jan 14, 2020

126 by realfifi »»
Dec 18, 2023 2:21 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2019

105 by Katsu-kun »»
Aug 15, 2023 4:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.