Sonic The Hedgehog (2020) - New Official Trailer - Paramount Pictures

Nov 12, 5:03 AM

https://youtu.be/szby7ZHLnkA

welp he is not ugly anymore

comparison of old and new design

Modified by deg, Nov 15, 4:20 AM

Nov 12, 5:29 AM
Forum Moderator
Such a big improvement! Even the trailer was better, no gangsters paradise probably helped.

My hopes for this movie are still low. I'm not expecting anything with the same amount of love and effort that went into detective pikachu. I'm expecting an average to bad movie. I'm not sure if i want to go see it despite being a big sonic fan. It'll either be a lot of fun or very painful. Still, i'm glad his re-design doesn't make me want to run for the hills.
We can be happy, when the cicadas cry.

Nov 12, 5:36 AM

It's like a completely different movie now.
My Integrity Knight can't be this fluffy!

Nov 12, 5:51 AM

So now it won't be "so bad it's good", but just your average boring shitty video game adaptation movie. Pass.

Nov 12, 6:36 PM

Was it a huge improvement from the last trailer?
Hell yes.

Does it look good?
Yes.

Will it be a good movie?
Far from it. I guess it will be in the same levels as The Smurfs and Alvin and the Chipmunks in terms of writing and characters. You know, you're average reverse isekai-ish story where your favorite cartoon characters go into the real world - been there, done that. Although, I'm still rooting for Jim Carrey's and James Marsden's performances cuz I love those two and I haven't seen them in a new movie for a while.

Allow me to teach you something useful:
My Top 20 Japanese Cartoons
Many people say that anime is not a cartoon. But in the end, they're all nothing but drawings on paper.
Elitists when you say you like dubs, modern battle shonen, isekai, overrated waifus and overrated husbandos

Nov 12, 6:52 PM
UwU

Kudos to the VFX team. The new design looks amazing. I'm actually excited, as opposed to sarcastically excited as I was earlier.

"The Imagination is a weapon
 Those who don't use it die first."

Nov 12, 7:00 PM

Still not watching it. Don't like the Deadpool humor or the design or the voice or the live action. I expect this movie to be a box office failure.

Nov 13, 6:36 AM

Their decision to hold over the release date to overhaul Sonic's design and listen to all criticism and feedback is at least laudable.
I am still going to pass, though.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.

Nov 13, 6:44 AM

konkelo said:
So now it won't be "so bad it's good", but just your average boring shitty video game adaptation movie. Pass.

Agreed, I was looking forward to nightmarish trainwreck, but now it's just gonna be boring.

Nov 13, 2:58 PM

Wait a minute did a movie studio really just...listen to the fans? What is this madness?

Nov 15, 3:51 AM

I went back to watch the old trailer - now you can see how shit the design really was.

Nov 15, 4:21 AM
@papsoshea

nice idea i posted a video about the design difference

Nov 15, 10:26 AM
I have to commend the teams efforts for going through & touching up the design to make it a much better representation of the character. And of course the trailer was much better than the original one. Though lets not kid ourselves, there was nowhere to go but up with how awful that trailer was.

Even still, I can't say this trailer has exactly sold me on this movie. I don't think this movie is going to be the worst thing of all time. It'll probably end up being a 5/10 or so, which imo is the worst score something can get. But above all else, this just looks like a typical buddy buddy save the world flick that has been done 1,000 times & over before. And aside from having Sonic's mug plastered on it, it doesn't exactly look like it's doing much to stand out. Flavorless, Vanilla, Stock, Generic, & Uninspired are all words that I would use to describe the feeling this trailer gives me.

Nov 15, 10:53 AM

The fact that the new sonic design looks this good meant that the old (and absolutely horrid) sonic design was a fake marketing gimmick to gain attention.

Then again, Paramount also approved the TMNT design from 2016, so what do I know.

Nov 16, 1:37 PM

This movie looks promising. Sonic 1 was the first game I ever played. I'll support Sonic by buying ticket and watch it on a theater when it comes out next year.

I don't usually do this, since I pirate a lot. But Sonic? I just gotta support my favorite hedgehog who got me into video games.

Nov 16, 4:14 PM
Review Moderator
Lollipop Life

New design looks great and the atmosphere of the re-edited scenes is much lighter, but yikes the humor still misses the mark by a wide margin. Maybe I've just outgrown Jim Carrey and his hyperactive routine.

Nov 17, 9:34 AM
Forum Moderator
Bot Hunter

Honestly, the film itself still looks like a generic corporate family film but there's no denying that Sonic himself looks exponentially better.
One bright day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other
A deaf policeman heard the noise and came and killed those two dead boys

Nov 22, 6:58 AM

I'm glad they listened to their fans and changed it from a demon to an actual Sonic

Nov 23, 5:59 PM
they spent $5 million on the redesign source https://mobile.twitter.com/IGN/status/1198391025745530881

Dec 6, 4:29 PM
Sonic and the movie in general look better here than they do in the first trailer. Sonic is still imperfect (the separated eyes remain), but definitely improved.

I hope we get more existing Sonic characters other than Sonic himself and Robotnik (Tails? Amy?), but that doesn't seem likely.

Yesterday, 12:58 PM

I was still going to watch it even if they kept the old design, but I'm actually excited now for the movie. I'm really glad Paramount listened to the fans. I'm also really excited to see Jim Carrey perform as Robotnik! The role fits him well.

Definitely buying a ticket for this one.

Technique can't be learned like
tying your shoes or changing a flat tire.
It's something you gotta figure out for
yourself.